Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (12) « First ... « 9 10 [11] 12 »
Aug 8, 2020 9:53 AM

Nov 2019
Well this was much, much better than I expected. For the most part it was ok, but the last 20 minutes or so were brilliant.

It definitely doesn't feel like Evangelion, but rather like Gurren Lagann with all that Will to Power shit. But I'm not complaining about that, TTGL is my favorite TV series of all time after all.

One thing is for sure, this movie cemented Rei as my best girl.

8.5/10, rounded to 9/10.
sneed's feed and seed
formerly chuck's
Aug 21, 2020 11:08 AM
Nov 2019
Yeah sorry but I am 33 and I watched the original series and both rebirth and death and end of Evangelion nearly 20 years ago as a pre teen . And I hate to say this but it should of just ended with the original work of the 90s . This sequel or what ever it is with new plot it doesn’t make any sense really . Sorry I prefer the original story line . Any ways off to watching 3.0 next.... more disappointment to come . The characters felt empty . Unlike the original series where it was more psychological and the characters had depth . This has no character depth
Aug 30, 2020 5:52 PM
Mar 2019
The ost in this one is just god tier
Feb 17, 2021 7:02 AM

Apr 2020
Amazing movie!
Asuka is quarantined! I'm so glad she is alive!
Save REI!!!
YAAAAAY!

The ending theme was amazing! Beau-u-ti-ful WORLD!

Oh, fuck he came already! I forgot his name, damn it
--AbiSa--
Mar 15, 2021 9:15 PM

Feb 2021
This was actually my favourite installment of the Evangelion series so far. Asuka seems to be substantially less of a bitch compared to the original series (and hence my hate for her has reduced in this timeline), and Rei had far more screentime. The animation was pretty impressive, and I much prefer the plot in this movie compared to the original series. Overall I was pleasantly surprised by this movie, and hope 3.0 similarly impresses me.

7.5/10
Mar 16, 2021 12:08 AM
Apr 2020
Sh*t... Speechless. I'm totally speechless right now. The first movie one is already great but this one has surpasses all of my expectations. I really didn't thought that the last minutes of the movie will come to that point. That was freaking amazing. Everything was perfect. Good thing that Shinji is stepping up...

9/10. So many stuffs happens on this one. Now let me see what the 3.0 offers bcuz that was one heckuva cliffhanger xD
Apr 4, 2021 10:21 AM

Jan 2009
These movies are a masterclass on how to do tone deaf vomit lol
Garbage tier movie
Apr 4, 2021 10:26 AM

Dec 2015
@Perrin4869 "Tone deaf"? Is there a problem in the musics placement or choice?

About some thing you said about Asuka: I thought the films, especially this one, "amped up" the exageration of the two girls. They're both way closer to the "fantasm" a portion of the watchers turned the characters in, rather than to the original characters. Asuka being "more Asuka-like" or rather stereotypical Asuka, same for Rei.
Anyway, thanks for your examples. ^^ (I wasn't sure about your reaction because I didn't know the expression could be used outside of music. Not an english-speaker.)

(For the blood and some parts of the redesigns, it's because it would have been made like that on TV, had they been able to, wothout technical and broadcasting limitations. And partly because it s a "sales argument" for a "remake". Just like the new mecahnical designs.)

PS: sdon't be sorry, I sincerely hated this picture when I first saw it (I didn't mind the first movie) to the extent I pushed back watching the third one for a long time.
Rei_IIIApr 4, 2021 11:25 AM
Apr 4, 2021 11:14 AM

Jan 2009
For sure the music placement was abysmal. I thought of it being tone-deaf during the scene where Eva-01 with the dummy plug destroys the Eva-03 and everyone is looking in horror while the serene music is playing and I couldn't fathom who thought this was a good idea. Instead of being in shock like I was during NGE, I was laughing (Edit: granted, in NGE the scene was much more properly built up over 2 episodes and more tense, with unit 0 and 2 being defeated before Shinji goes to fight. Also it was helped by the less bright color palette, etc etc etc, so it's not like the music is solely responsible for this to be laughable here. But the music choice brought it to facepalm levels of mediocre). The usage of Thanatos which was flawless in NGE and used in the most dramatic character moments was also super jarring here. But it's not only about the music choices, the dialogue is puke inducing level bad.

Example 01: Watching the scene where Shinji tells Gendo he won't pilot the Eva-01, I could tell for sure the dialogue was changed because of preachy it was. Lo and behold, I confirmed: here Gendo goes on telling Shinji "to grow up, blah blah blah 10 year old level life lesson about needing to be proactive" then Shinji being like "I don't know what is being adult about it" - this will be a recurring complaint, but this movie was written for 10 years olds, I'm convinced. Compare to the original - Gendo tells Shinji him how disappointed he is in him, and how he probably won't see him again. Straight to the point. Powerful dialogue.

Example 02: Asuka sounds ever 100x cockier piloting the eva than she did even in NGE, where she was already rather cocky. I find it way too jarring (ie, just tone deaf). This might be a personal preference, I can't say, but definitely doesn't work for me.

Example 03: Rei looking at the fish and saying they are "just like her" - I could finish her sentence before she spoke it XD How much lower can this movie get, I hear you asking?

Example 04: This is a problem in the first movie too - when an angel is killed, it spills 100K tons of blood - did they think to just turn the edgy lever of this movie to the max? wtf where they thinking lol

Example 05: Rei's "this is the first time I say thanks" was also super jarring here. In the original it worked because Rei was completely taken off-guard about Shinji cleaning her room for her, and was probably truly thankful. Here it doesn't carry nearly as much weight and comes off empty.

Example 06: Elevator scene - more edgy dialogue: "The Eva is a mirror of your soul, blah blah blah blah", then Rei suddenly being preachy about "finding happiness outside of piloting the eva"... was the dialogue written by a 10 year old this time around? In the original it was a straightforward scene where Rei was trying to be helpful to Asuka, here she is just being condescending... Then later she tell her she's "sorry" on the phone lol who came up with this stuff... I loved the line by Asuka in the TV show "For you to talk to me, it will probably snow tomorrow" - but we can't have intelligently written dialogue between two characters here, just edgy preachy nonsense. Another example of "why can't we have nice things..."

Example 07: The halo over the Evas and some bullshit about them having god like powers now. Just no. Please no. Why you do this...

I mean, I can scrutinize every bit of this movie, there is more. I may just not be the target audience. As Eva movies, these are an insult to NGE on every single possible level (the angel designs get less cartoony cause we gotta be edgy now, etc etc etc). Divorced from NGE this is pre-teen level garbage...

Hope this explains this. Sorry for the tone but rewatching this thing was pretty painful

Edit: (Please, note that I tried to keep this criticism less about the different narrative directions that NGE and the rebuilds take, plot-wise and character-wise, which is something that is vastly discussed everywhere else, and tried to focus on just on the directorial and dialogue choices here. And also notice I didn't mention the fanservice, that, while very titillating, was pretty poor taste when compared to NGE imo. They weren't as offensive as my complaints above).

@Rei_III Honestly, I kinda have to disagree about your opinion that the TV show would have kept the blood showers if it could. I got two reasons for it. The first and simplest one is that we really don't know that the original TV show had a limited budget, and judging from the first few episodes, which looked amazing, we could come to the conclusion that the show was well funded.
The second reason is that the Eva TV show was much more balanced in its direction. Did it have its share of over the top gore? For sure. The scene where Gendo gets half covered in the angel blood is damn goofy and was taken straight from the TV show. The difference here is that it just didn't happen as often in the TV show. I think the TV show had the resources to create this effect if they wanted to, but they understood how to make a "good" (or "balanced" or really just "well directed") product. This is the same with the dialogue - for the most part the dialogues in NGE were more grounded, and the more esoteric stuff was kept for the dream scenes, whereas the rebuilds go all out on the goofy stuff to the point where it just feels too gratuitous... Therefore I submit that the staff in charge of the Rebuilds was just not as skilled at making anime as the 90s staff was. BTW, the very same applies to the staff doing Dragon Ball Super compared to Z or even GT, etc etc.
Perrin4869Apr 5, 2021 10:23 AM
Apr 5, 2021 2:21 PM

Dec 2015
@Perrin4869 The blood part was only concerned by the audience hour in what I wrote, my bad.

(Sorry for diverging from what you were mentioning by the way.)

@Lnaua If you're curious, her chara-designer Sadamoto mused over the character in a bonus chapter to his manga adaptation of the series. It's nothing official but it's nice.
Rei_IIIAug 5, 2021 12:54 PM
Apr 6, 2021 5:21 AM
Jan 2011
Best film out of the 1's i've seen
Aug 11, 2021 12:50 AM

Jan 2018
This was a crazy movie. Rebuild series truly started to deviate from the original from this movie. But still it has lots of elements of the first film. That's why I think the general opinion of the 2nd film is much more positive compared to the first and third movies.
I just wish the movie utilized Makinami Mari more. She definitely felt tacked on and just a plot device. Ig Asuka took away almost any role she could've played.
Still this was a good movie and I liked its ending. It's no EoE but at least it's somewhat more comprehensible than that shit. I still remember the scene with Shinji and Rei at the end from time to time.

Next is the black sheep...
Aug 13, 2021 2:45 PM

Dec 2015
I'm a but conflicted about this one. There are definitely a lot of elements this movie did better than the previous one. The most notorious one is that they've improved an adaptation of a plot structured for TV episodes into a movie better. Final battle is also really impactful. But honestly they still didn't fully made the characters as engaging as the main series. And the new character still feels out of place and not necessary. I'll give this one a 7.5/10 (7 on MAL). It was an upgrade, but still not impactful enough.
Aug 14, 2021 1:25 PM

Apr 2009
Is that singer a kid of the producer? That was the worst songs I've ever heard in movies. She didn't most of the notes. Because if the emotional moment was transformed into comedy.
Aug 14, 2021 6:51 PM

Jul 2020
short comment for You can (not) advance:

> shinji gay as expected
> god tier OST
> dummy system nearly kills Asuka while a melancholy song playing on the background was great
> Mikinami was hot
> big appreciation for Ayanami
> Shinji pulled it back at the ending, which was good for him
> ending was superb

love this version of Evangelion for sure
daedalus11Aug 14, 2021 7:32 PM
Aug 15, 2021 4:20 PM

May 2015
Holy fucking fuck
The ending was so hype. I'm really ecstatic.
I thought the second movie was gonna be the second part of the Eva anime like the first one.
This movie version is actually easier to digest and the story doesn't feel as convoluted as the anime counterpart.
10/10 Hideaki Anno, you fucking genius
Aug 15, 2021 8:25 PM

May 2012
While an amazing big fan I am of Gainax Studio, Evangelion was never really that superb anime in my eyes, and for one part it was the pacing. With the story poured out in a movie time line, the general pacing of the story does feel a whole lot better ready!
Aug 16, 2021 9:54 AM
Apr 2021
They actually made Asuka a lot more likable
Aug 18, 2021 11:45 AM
Feb 2018
A decade ahead of it's Time
Aug 18, 2021 2:30 PM

May 2017
whew. idk what to really think anymore

I feel like I've gotten to this point with evangelion where, no matter what they do with it I'll just enjoy and like it, but I find it hard to see it as something any more than just "good"

So far I gave every single installment that I have seen a 7. I feel more of the same towards every one of them so far. I enjoyed them all equally but for different reasons.

The TV show is the original, it's dramatic, its very bleak and grounded. But I couldn't bring myself to give it a higher score because of the last few episodes. I loved the first 20 or so but it did drop in enjoyment for me.

End of Evangelion is more of the same it delivers a conclusion. But the movie is so mindfucked that you'll never be able to understand it with the first watch. Idk maybe if you're 300 iq you could but most people won't. That alone just drags down my enjoyment. I looked up some explanations afterwards and everything pretty much cleared up, I went and rewatched the 2nd half with that knowledge but I didn't really change my view of it much.

Half of the first rebuild was somewhat "boring" since it was just a rushed recap. 2nd half picked up a lot, once again I enjoyed myself but nothing that would push the boundaries for me.

Now this movie comes along. It delivers in something that a lot of people (including me ) seems to criticize. And that's the characters. While they're fine in the original, I don't think you could actually call them likeable. This movie improves this a lot and suddenly Rei and Asuka become much more likeable. While that's a positive, I feel like that also brought a weird feel of positivity in this movie. I don't know.. i guess I got used to the bleak mood of the original so that this more light hearted movie felt a bit out of place. I know that one should completely keep those two apart but I don't know ..can't really help it. I still enjoyed the more positive feel of this though, it just felt a little weird. This movie was more light-hearted (well if you compare it to other media, it really isn't light-hearted at all but for eva it kinda is) and action-focused than the rest so far. I like it for that but once again not good enough to raise it above a 7

I feel my problem with this series is just its overall concept of the instrumentality project. I just don't enjoy that storyline. I had hoped that the rebuilds would do something different, and they do in a way but so far it seems like it will go in a very similar direction. Curious to see what the next 2 have in offer.

Will I be able to find my 8/10? or maybe the first one below 7? The current me doesn't know but who ever read this, you can just look at my list right now.
shayed__Aug 18, 2021 2:38 PM
Aug 21, 2021 6:22 PM

Jan 2021
Asuka,s entrance against the angel was pretty cool and the ost was really good
Aug 23, 2021 1:58 AM
Jun 2021
I like this movie a lot imo rebuild movies is better than og evangelion
Sep 14, 2021 9:26 PM

Aug 2018
AMAZING.
The movie was great, all the animation was amazing with the soundtrack just as good.
Very good the 2.22
Sep 18, 2021 10:11 PM

Jul 2019
Man, why did I even decide to re-watch this series? It only further cemented my distaste with Eva.

-[ ~♫~ ll Credit ]-
Sep 21, 2021 9:36 PM

Apr 2019
The production is very good, the fights are incredible, but that's it.
The story sucks, and on top of that there's Asuka. And the fanservice scenes suck.

The ending music is cool.
Sep 27, 2021 11:20 AM
Nov 2018
I think the whole anime/movies is ruined by ikari shinji, one of the most uinlikable anime protagonist of all time
Oct 2, 2021 7:04 PM
Oct 2020
This week it was time to see this movie. The story seems to follow the TV series very closely, but with some differences. The Eva 05 pilot is the one who helps Shinji back to Eva 01. Asuka's arrival is quite different. The pilot that is controlled by the Angel is another. Overall we already knew what was going to happen, but it was really cool to see it from this new angle.
Oct 6, 2021 12:21 AM

Jul 2016
Not gonna lie, I'm quite enjoying these movies but this stopped being Evangelion the moment the psychological aspect and heavy introspective focus got cut out. I mean, it's still enjoyable (now for different reasons) but it feels somewhat shallow at the same time.
Oct 6, 2021 4:51 AM

Aug 2012
Find myself quite conflicted about my feelings on this. On one hand, I do think this was an improvement over the last film, on the other hand, this may be least favourite Eva thing I've experienced. There's a lot to unpack here, so I'll just stop with the least important point, fanservice.

Granted, I haven't seen the show in years, and it's likely that I would forgot those shots, but this felt like the horniest Eva's been yet, and that's not a compliment. There's one instance where this doesn't bother. Well, two if you count Rei's nudity at the end of the film as an instance of fanservice, but I don't. But the one I'm talking about is the first time Asuka was naked and had the beer cans covering her parts. This didn't bother me for two reasons . . .

I. It was an actual structured joke. Moving the cans to reveal a straw just covering the nipples, that's an actual gag, and it's on the perverts so that doesn't really bother me.

II. It's a callback to last film where Shinji had the exact same thing happen to him. This mean along with being a joke, it served to integrate Asuka into the family through the same method of Shinji, it connected those two through that repeated gag. It had a purpose.

Misato just happening to be in the shower when she receives a call isn't a joke, it's not played off as one anyway, and there's no connective purpose, it's just excuse to draw her naked. Zooming in on Mari's boobs in the plug suit, that was sort of played like a gag, a pretty braindead one, but regardless, it served no further purpose. All the other instances are like this, they don't have the thought put into the joke and they don't have any purpose, it just feels like Eva's horny and I don't care for that. It feels pretty immature.

But that's the least important point, it's a negative but not a death sentence. My other thoughts hold a little more weight. Like Mari.

I don't like her so far. I don't want to be too critical of her yet though because well, this isn't a stand-alone feature. It's part of a series, and she might just function as an agent of intrigue/change at this moment, but that doesn't mean she won't developed into a good character later. But as of this initial viewing, she doesn't leave a good impression.

She's introduced at the beginning but doesn't play any role until the very end in the last Angel fight. Where all she does is be that generic anime protagonist. Someone mentioned in here that's she's the "Anti-Eva" character, which I guess could make for interesting contrast but right now, she just feels out of place. Again, this could be an intention that is explored in the future films, but in this film, it's not explored, she just sort of appears to take Asuka's place in this fight from the TV Show. Like, Maki's main contribution was allowing this battle to still capture Eva-02 while allowing Asuka to take Toji's place.

And while that makes Maki a rather weak character in this film, I can say switching Toji for Asuka was a great decision. Now, it does continue the trend of making Toji & Kensuke feel completely superfluous in the Rebuild films. They only really got the base plot points in the last movie, and those happened very quickly, so it does hurt them. But on the flipside, it's a change that got me really invested in what was happening, and it helped make this film feel a lot more cohesive.

Cause this was a film that was basically about Asuka to begin with. Like we definitely got a lot of development for say Rei, but a lot of this is still sort of framed through Asuka's perspective. A Shinji/Rei scene doesn't really happen in this movie without framing it around Asuka's attention in some shape or form, and her decision to test the Eva for the benefit of Rei's & Shinji's shindig, it was a real strong moment of character development. Arguably too fast, but a lot of this content was really enjoyable to consume.

I said last movie that I feel like my prior knowledge of the characters is doing a lot of the heavy lifting, and that still sort of feels like the case here. Not as much as the last film, but I can't help but wonder if those daily life moments would've worked for me had I not already known these characters and their dynamics through the original series, and the manga. Would I have just felt that everything was moving to quickly, I don't know. But I'm not holding it against the film. Especially when they do make strides to differentiate these versions of the characters, I was really surprised that Asuka didn't seem to give two shits about Kaji in the slightest. So it's using the established framework to make this quickened pacing work, while also altering little details here and there to give something new to returning fans.

And I'll throw out, it certainly does feel like my theory that the Rebuild films are more of a quasi-sequel, that is feeling like it might be more of the case, and that certainly interests me a lot. But what doesn't interest me a lot is the battles. That was a weak segue, I apologize.

I didn't like the battles in this movie. The fight against 03 was good since that was more about the emotional conflict, but the other ones, not so much. I don't think the CGI Eva's look very good, and the constant flashing lights kind of made them a pain to watch. To be honest, I always thought the actual mecha fights were the weakest part of the original series too, so the extra emphasis the movies are placing on them aren't very great.

Mari's fight at the end, I was mostly bored, just waiting for it to end to be honest. Maybe it's because I don't care at all about Mari since this fight, more or less introduced us to her character with how little she got previously. She's such a weak character here, caring about smells is not a compelling character trait. Maybe it's because I knew a rough outline of how this went from the TV series, which I think did this segment of the story a lot better. Or maybe it's the rainbow flashing stuff, I was just bored.

Also, the action here at times felt more fitting in something like Gurren Lagann & FLCL than Neon Genesis Evangelion. Which yes, all Gainax, but tonally different series. It didn't really work for me, and that mostly extends to the final segments.

The surreal nature of End of Eva is one of the reasons I love that film, and one of the reasons I felt it was so effective was because of how much it contrasted the TV series. The show was definitely building to the Komm, Susser Tod moment, which just made the explosion of how far they went all the more effective. Granted, having already experienced that, it's not like the Rebuild films could hope to make that initial experience, but man, them diving straight into some Komm, Susser Tod stuff didn't really work for me.

At first, because by the time Shinji was reaching through the core to grab Rei, and they hugging scene, Misato recognizing the wings (btw, loved how the condensed her backstory, great unique visuals there), Third Impact, I was fully hooked. The credits starting to play there made me really happy I don't have to wait years to continue. This came out in 2009 and the films just recently ended, thank god I wasn't watching this as they happen. To be honest, I know they were playing some other song during this sequence with Shinji & Rei but my brain was substituting Komm, Susser Tod throughout it. And the earlier instance of a childlike happy song playing while 01 beat up 03, I busted out laughing when the lyrics popped up. I don't think that was the intent but regardless it felt effective after that initial laughter.

So yeah, I'm mixed on this movie. I think I'm going to give it a 7, same as the first movie. Depending on what part of the movie I was watching, I thought it might've been a 8 or it could've wound up as like a 5. I tend to be generous with my ratings, so I think a 7 seems fair enough.
Jan 4, 2022 11:21 AM

Jul 2021
This movie was a lot more fun when compared to the previous one, but Shinji's way of acting still stresses me out a lot.
The direction the story is going is good and I hope that this time, the ending is good and explains everything without leaving any doubt.
asdasdsadad
Mar 22, 2022 10:53 AM

Feb 2021
Wow, there was a lot of new content.

The art and animation were simply amazing.

We get to see another Child who piloted the 5th Eva...and destroyed it. She also seems to have destroyed the 4th Eva. Is she a spy or something?

"Shinji-kun, men who can cook get all the girls" Damn I mean Kaji is way more experienced than me so I guess I have gotta start taking cooking lessons fr lol.

That grey-haired guy on the moon? He called Gendoh "dad"?! wtf? He was in the last movie too. I wonder when we'll see him in the main series.

Also, I didn't know the other Eva's were being manufactured/constructed on the moon. Were all the Eva's made here?

We get to see the actual site of the Second Impact.

Well, we did get an ample amount of fanservice. Asuka, Misato, Mari, Rei. Not that I mind lol.

Woah Toji wasn't the pilot of Unit 03 this time. Also, Asuka wasn't the one defending against the 10th Angel this time. Is this like an alternate story where the ents are a bit different? I guess that's why these movies are called the rebuild of Evangelion.

Unit 02's 'beast mode' or the awakened mode is actually pretty darn sick.

Welp not sure how Shinji 'revived' Rei. Also, the 3rd impact?

The ending though :O

This movie sure had some confusing things but had some fucking great moments too. Thoroughly enjoyed it! 8/10

Apr 12, 2022 6:50 PM
Jul 2018
The fights went CRAZY in this movie
Apr 12, 2022 10:09 PM

Aug 2019
Holy fuck that was brilliant, that was some of the most amazingly done everything i think i could of asked from this franchise. I loved the twists from the original, the pacing of this different route, the addition scenes, Shinji's fucking amazing development all in these 2 hours that were presented were so amazing i'm genuinely lost for words.
I forgot how smoothly the story board could shift from really chill SOL to intense action. For example the build up of the aquarium and Rei, Shinji, Asuka bonding through making one another meals, to the rabbit hole of Unit03.

Loved Unit02's entrance, seems both times they nailed giving Asuka and 02 some of the most badass entrances into the franchise. Equally loved Asuka's character in this movie much more then the original, idk why but i feel like they opened her up more to the rest of the cast. Her talk besides Shinji, accepting the invitation from Rei and talk with Misato before 03 tests i think opened her more up as a character and made her more likeable for me. That's why it hurt 100x more when she was in 03.
Them swapping Touji with Asuka was one of the biggest twists i think i've ever seen, and was a literal ticking time bomb. Every minute that passed up to the final minute i was biting my nails, all the lead up with Asuka and Shinji made the Unit01 Dummy Plug vs Angel03 so much more impactful story wise. Seeing her much more personal and happy bond with Shinji being torn away and brutalised like that actually but shivers in me.

My initial thoughts on Mari's character were meh, but after the ending i like her. Her personality is wild, she lives on the edge, her reaction to Shinji telling her he doesn't want to be a pilot anymore even if he's the last hope isn't with threats, what's or why's but acceptance and what seems to be understanding. I feel like this is the first character that has properly accepted Shinji's decision and i like her because of that. Also not because she limit broke 02 and releases more red flags than a mine field, but hay reds my favourite colour so what it do girl.

Rei i felt got huge character development. Her asking Gendo if he likes eating with others, then inviting everyone for a meal, learning how to cook, and finally the ending of taking Shinji's hand was amazing. Heck half the cast acknowledged Rei's change in personality, and i think the changes to her character was a great plot point for the end.
Similarly characters like Misato and Kanji both felt more caring towards Shinji? Misato throughout so far through the Rebuilds seems to be more caring and understanding of Shinji, Kanji taking them to the Aquarium as well as his talk to Shinji at his farm (although i think was similar to the original). However their talk at the restaurant where Kanji exclaims "Yeah, it's too bug of a burden for kids to carry." for me helps see that Hideaki wants both these characters to mean more in the story and care more about the main cast.

The ending, holy fuck where to start except from saying that it was the best thing i've ever seen from this series yet. Mari forcing off the limiters off Unit 02 was so interesting to watch, Rei's final words to Shinji and finally Shinji's character at the end.
Hideaki Anno really said "let my boy go all out, just this one time" and it was beautiful. This route of Shinji that grew a pair of fucking steel balls, recognised the hell world he lived in that also had his father, regardless he acknowledged his friends and most importantly what he wanted most and did what ever he could to get it. Through absolute sheer fucking will power he forces Unit01 into a state of near God hood, pulls Rei out of the Angel regardless of what she says, and while hugging her finally admits his feelings. Rebuild Shinji just fucking built different.

Some old scenes were done masterfully, but new scenes added so much more to the show. To cut this short, the final scene were Unit01 should of gone Berserk against Zeruel with Ritsuko confirming it, but instead she says "i don't know what's happening" is probably my favourite scene from the movie. This single scene was enough to leave more than an impression on me, that if even [b]Ritsuko[b[ doesn't know what's happening, its serious.

All in all easiest 10/10 i've ever given. Not a single moment in this movie i didn't enjoy. The remastered scenes, the addition of new ones, the revamped route that showed a different side of Shinji, the various character developments that made me love each character so much more
Apr 16, 2022 12:10 PM

Jun 2021
noticed asuka’s last name changed to shikinami !!??
deep fried lettuce

^i snitched this from a dude's forum signature^

May 26, 2022 1:27 PM
Aug 2016
Great movie! Definitely better than 1.0, with some interesting changes in the story as compared to the original story of NGE. First, Unit 03 was piloted by Asuka (whose last name was changed to Shikinami instead of Langley Soryu) instead of Tohji. Unit 02 is piloted by the new girl, and Third impact is triggered, and we get Kaoru beforehand just at the onset of third impact. Very interesting. Looking forward to 3.0 and 3.0+1.0!

9.3/10
May 26, 2022 1:32 PM
ranked 54 in FAL
Mar 2018
Koustubh said:
Looking forward to 3.0 and 3.0+1.0!

famous last words.

May 26, 2022 2:55 PM
Aug 2016
betaweeb said:
Koustubh said:
Looking forward to 3.0 and 3.0+1.0!

famous last words.

I finished watching 3.0 just now. Was alright, not as bad as I expected. Looking forward to 3.0 + 1.0. 👌
May 26, 2022 3:12 PM
ranked 54 in FAL
Mar 2018
Koustubh said:
betaweeb said:

famous last words.

I finished watching 3.0 just now. Was alright, not as bad as I expected. Looking forward to 3.0 + 1.0. 👌

more power to you bro, though i do have issues with the rebuilds, i was joking and actually mostly agreed with what you said about the second one, which was my favorite of the rebuilds, the last one has a lot of things going for it so you'll probably have a good time.

the third one was a mess though and mari was a mistake, but overall i think there's a good time to be had with these movies, even if personally some stuff about them rubs me the wrong way and i feel like the original series, with end of eva i guess, are enough and the much better version of evangelion.

most importantly, none of my homies call asuka "shikinami".
May 26, 2022 3:16 PM
Aug 2016
betaweeb said:
Koustubh said:

more power to you bro, though i do have issues with the rebuilds, i was joking and actually mostly agreed with what you said about the second one, which was my favorite of the rebuilds, the last one has a lot of things going for it so you'll probably have a good time.

the third one was a mess though and mari was a mistake, but overall i think there's a good time to be had with these movies, even if personally some stuff about them rubs me the wrong way and i feel like the original series, with end of eva i guess, are enough and the much better version of evangelion.

most importantly, none of my homies call asuka "shikinami".

Ah, OK. Yeah, I can understand why people may not like 3.0 movie in particular. What you said about 3.0+1.0 honestly makes me excited though. Looking forward even more now! :)

Yeah, Rebuild is definitely worth watching, I can agree on that. If not for the story, at least for 1.0 and 2.0 one can experience original elements of the NGE story with improved animation for sure.

Bruh, I was surprised about that too. She will eternally be Soryu Asuka Langley for me 💀💀💀
Jul 2, 2022 2:25 AM
Nov 2020
Bro the ending turned me on, 10/10 what a masterpiece
Jul 17, 2022 12:21 PM

Jan 2020
Asuka is here and out of the gate she is somewhat more of a problem child than I remember. Ironically they said she was toned down from the original. I'd like her better if she wasn't so exhaustingly antagonistic. Especially since it doesn't seem like her ability as a pilot warrants that amount of attitude. I guess she's supposed to be the best pilot of the three, but it doesn't seem like anyone is able to handle an Angel masterfully, or even gracefully.

The rainbow Angel, number seven, is terrifying. I mean, there are still a bunch more to go but so far that one seems like the worst, even compared to the others within this movie. I feel like they should've saved it for the end of the story.

The way these movies are setup, with the flow of events, it feels a lot like a Persona story, it's interesting. Though the pacing leaves a bit to be desired. A lot of the scenes between major events just seem like quick cuts that drop in some random information, rather than thought out storylines -- Though, overall, the movies are still doing a better job of fleshing out the characters than the original.

I don't really have any strong feelings for Mari. I mean, I barely care about the existing characters as it is, so spreading the screen time even thinner could be a mistake.

The ED song was good, but I feel like it kind of just ended, especially compared to the first movie. I'm not sure how I feel about it.

I enjoyed this movie more than the first though. Hopefully 3.33 won't be as bad as people are making it out to be. But, considering how convoluted the original series got towards the end, I guess I wouldn't be surprised.

"...Is your mother worried? Would you like us to assign someone to worry your mother?"

Aug 21, 2022 5:28 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Okay, that was fantastic! Yes, I do agree that the movie relied on the action and half-random power-ups a bit too much during various phases but if they're able to provide it at that level of quality, there's not much else to complain about.

Mari's character wasn't fleshed out enough to build her own identity in the Evangelion universe and she turned out to be a bit obnoxious honestly. Shinji's transformation, in the end, was a bit over-the-top but I liked the approach they were trying to go with, Shinji going as far as to neglect the world just to save Rei is a massive step for him. (Un-)Luckily for him, Kawaru's there to save him and the world, I'm sure there's obviously more to this and I'm looking forward to that. All in all, the character development aspect in the movie was something to appreciate.

Unit 03 not being piloted by the same character as the tv series but Asuka took me by surprise. How did she even survive that onslaught though? I guess it has something to do with the pod not being fully demolished like in the tv series.

On the other side of the spectrum, there's the amazing animation, great direction and fantastic soundtracks. I really feel that the pace at which the movie was structured didn't leave much of the interactions out (although a little bit in the case of Asuka) and is a significant improvement over the original tv series. All of it leaves me awarding the movie with a generous 9/10, much like the first movie. In many ways, it's as though the pure entertainment in the first movie was substituted by the character growth here.

Rei's part though, god dang it! She was doing so well getting Shinji and his father closer and then that happened...
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Sep 11, 2022 12:35 PM
Sep 2022
Anime de weeb depressivo filho da puta satanista contra a vontade de Deus ó amém. Myn ame is Edward. My name is Edward

https://store.steampowered.com/app/887830?snr=2_9_100000_
Sep 28, 2022 3:11 PM
Apr 2018
seggsgsggsdgssafsdf
Nov 19, 2022 3:55 PM

Aug 2022
What the fuck did they do to Asuka and Rei? Also I have no clue who this Mari bitch is, but I already dislike her.
Dec 11, 2022 1:16 AM

Jan 2010
Rewatching the second film 9 years, and holy crap, it's still just as amazing, at least in terms of visuals. It's been over a decade since I've seen the TV series, so a lot of the story and character details escape. However, I still remember enough to know that the second film differs vastly. I don't recall Rei being as emotive, nor Asuka being as honest. I don't recall Gendo being willing to make any, any attempt to treat Shinji as anything but a tool, nor do I recall Shinji ever being as assertive as he was here. This is a completely different story, and I have no idea where it's going. I can't say if I'm more or less confused when comparing my experiences with the original TV series with the films, but for what it's worth, I'm enjoying the abundance of energy and visual splendor. That, and seeing Shinji finally taking a stand for himself.
Dec 27, 2022 7:16 PM
Oct 2022
it was good till they this movie took it's dark turn , I ended up crying because of it
Jan 3, 2023 7:41 AM
Dec 2020
I loved evangelion
Jan 11, 2023 6:01 PM
Jan 2023
best anime ever created
Jan 15, 2023 8:51 AM

Nov 2020
Way too good. I look forward to the last 2 movies.
Pages (12) « First ... « 9 10 [11] 12 »

More topics from this board

» Stop after this movie if you dont want to be disappointed

CickNipolla - Oct 12, 2022

40 by Zero00phantom »»
Apr 2, 4:44 PM

» Mari being an insert for Hideaki’s wife

hanekawastiddi - Sep 3, 2023

6 by certainmiracle »»
Sep 4, 2023 12:00 PM

» Why They've shown Rei Nippels but didn't show Asuka Nippels?

LoliSenpai0x - Aug 6, 2020

9 by Jun_Rei »»
Feb 28, 2023 1:38 PM

» Shinji is gigachad

samthestan - Nov 26, 2021

6 by JohnLivelyMan »»
Apr 12, 2022 10:56 PM

» End of Evangelion or rebuild movie?

Requiemofthewind - Nov 7, 2021

8 by animeforlife808 »»
Nov 9, 2021 8:42 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.