Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (17) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »
Jul 26, 2012 5:30 AM

May 2011
I really shouldn't had tried to watch this anime... Sure, those mental instability scenes or sort are interesting, but only for the first few minute. It gets more and more mind-blowing(literally) and irritating. I skipped lots and lots of parts on many episodes, not just this.

It's like, he's having massive mental instability. So alright, I get it, but almost 2 full episodes about it? This anime is more like a philosophy of human emotion then... a story?

Plot wise I guess I'll give it a 2/10 ...?
While character building I would rate it 6/10 (I know the development is precise but it gave me headache instead)

I'm probably too dumb to watch or enjoy. I really can't put myself to satisfy this anime, despite the high ratings. I personally think that character development and the plot are equally very important, non should be taken lightly. After all, all I want to gain from anime is entertainment (be it action, mystery, character building etc.) especially after a tiring day.

Overall, this anime 4/10

PS: This should be rated as mild nudity, gee...
Aug 2, 2012 10:10 AM
Feb 2010
haha Gintama is freaking genuis!
Aug 8, 2012 9:27 AM
Jul 2018
Truly a compelling story of realization of self worth, at first I questioned whether or not the first 24 episodes of the show even happened considering the focus of falsified value in the last few episodes. The show was good, but the messages are embedded very deep. It is not your standard start to end story by far.
Aug 15, 2012 10:20 AM
Jul 2012
The ending was a huge fuck you to me.
Aug 18, 2012 12:37 PM

Feb 2009
LMAO what a bullshit ending. It would have been better if they just put FUCK YOU on the screen for 23 minutes.

I'd be pissed if I didn't know EoE is out there.
Aug 29, 2012 7:42 PM
Apr 2012
Simply put, that wasn't an ending. Perhaps it was in the sense that nothing followed the two eps, I suppose. Still. Good eps, I rather liked them despite some flaws, but show's gotta have an ending.

EoE time.
Sep 7, 2012 11:21 PM

Jul 2012
I have to say, that was actually quite interesting. I don't completely understand it, but I do understand its profoundness, and it was incredibly interesting as it looked into the psyche of different characters. Now I'm off to read analysis's and watch EoE.

If you really want to fit in, just put Legend of the Galactic Heroes in your top 5 and have it be the only 10-rated anime in your list.
Sep 14, 2012 6:30 PM

Aug 2011
Confused, need to watch the movies and wikipedia... lol
Sep 15, 2012 5:48 PM

Jul 2009
The school comedy part was like watching a completely different series, I liked that a lot. Otherwise, 25+26 was very lazy.
Muscle Muscle! Hustle Hustle! Muscle Muscle! Hustle Hustle! Muscle Muscle! Hustle Hustle! Muscle Muscle! Hustle Hustle! Muscle Muscle! Hustle Hustle! Muscle Muscle! Hustle Hustle! Muscle Muscle! Hustle Hustle! Muscle Muscle! Hustle Hustle! Muscle Muscle! Hustle Hustle! Muscle Muscle! Hustle Hustle! Muscle Muscle! Hustle Hustle! Muscle Muscle! Hustle Hustle! Muscle Muscle! Hustle Hustle!
Nov 19, 2012 5:49 AM
Oct 2012
^ i actually took the school comedy part as the ending for the series cuz that was the only one that made any sense to me. the movie sequel ending also didnt make any sense either
Dec 8, 2012 2:21 PM
Jul 2012
I liked all the psychological mindfuck, but I didn't like the ending overall, because there are A LOT of questions unanswered... Gonna watch End of Evangelion now and hope for some answers and a better conclusion to the story.
Dec 10, 2012 11:48 AM

May 2012
I really disliked this 2 last episodes and to know this is the ending of the anime it really sucked TBH, because of these 2 last episodes I've dropped my rating! I do hope the movie will be slightly better! 8/10
Dec 16, 2012 12:12 PM

Aug 2012
Well,
er...

At least he was able to overcome the barrier he set for himself?
Dec 17, 2012 7:02 AM

Jul 2012
Weird anime. It started off fine but as it went on I realized there wouldn't be any half-solid conclusions by the end. The last two episodes were a mostly frustrating mindfuck. EoE is pretty much mandatory and it helped clear things up a bit, but that doesn't say much considering that the plot is extremely inconclusive to begin with.

Also, I only really liked Misato.

EDIT: I gave NGE a lot of thought while listening to the OST from the TV series and the newer movies. Took me a while to realize how incredible it is, pure brilliance. I feel much more empathy for the characters now.
LogicielDec 19, 2012 4:58 PM
Critic.
Dec 17, 2012 8:13 AM

Mar 2012
shotta77 said:
Thank god this crap is over...finally whew!

You obviously dont recognize a masterpiece when you see one, just keep watching Naruto and Bleach.

Dec 22, 2012 2:10 AM

Apr 2012
masaba said:
the whole congratulations Shinji thing was gay, but I thought is really unique and deserves some credit for being done on a limited budget.

^This
Dec 31, 2012 3:48 AM

Mar 2010
what the hell did this ending resolve? what the hell is the point of the whole show? Man am sorry but this is garbage, all they did was rerun the dialogue from the past 24 episodes over and over again in a slide show, and then added a random alternate reality.
this show was fine, but the last two episodes completely killed it.
Jan 5, 2013 1:00 AM

Jan 2012
What the hell was that ending? It goes around in circles for 2 episodes and ended with a fcking congratulations? The first 20 episodes of the series were classic. cant say the same thing for the last few episodes. In other words...

SERVICE SERVICE! out of 10.
My Guitar Covers:
Playlist

I CAN ALWAYS SHOW MY EVERYTHING TO YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUU
Jan 12, 2013 5:24 AM

Jan 2012
Finally finished this classic after all these years. I have a friend who had all the VHS and DVDs of this series and he swore up and down it was the best. That was back in early 2000's and now it is 2013. As I am writing this, I still don't know what to give this classic. So, let me try to work out how I should rate this. I haven't read up on anything yet, but I plan to after watching EoE.

A good place to start would be the characters. The important characters had a good amount of time dedicated to them while the side characters, basically classmates, had maybe half to a full episode to develop. On that note, I found that the important characters were all unique and interesting. Each has some kind of twisted thing wrong with them that helped form who they are. The struggle against this aspect of themselves is what makes them so interesting.

The story/setting is very unique. The world is constantly being attacked by "Angels" who want to reach Adam in order to bring about the destruction of Humanity. While this is all happening, we don't even know why they are attacking and thus leads to a huge overarching mystery that starts to unravel near the end.

Let my try to piece together what I gathered of the story. From what I can understand, the appearance of the Angels were all foretold in the Dead Sea Scrolls. It told of what would happen when Adam was reached and what would happen once all the Angels were defeated. Very few people knew of this development and Shinji's father is working hard to achieve this ending.

There appears to be some conflict between Shinji's father and Seele. Shinji's father is hoping for the defeat of the final angel while Seele, hoping for the same thing, believe that he is taking it too far in become god. I am not sure how he goes about doing this, I would have to rewatch some of the episodes again, but all I can remember was the scene where Commander Ikari had some new angel growing in his hand. Shortly after that scene, Seele is talking with the final angel about Commander Ikari becoming the revival of Adam. What this means, I am not entirely sure, but he appears to be doing it for his wife Yui.

It appears that his plan was successful and that is how we got the last two episodes of the series. This event that was happening was called "The Complementation of the people by the Instrumentality of Man" experiment. Apparently, human's lost something from their minds long ago and this event will gain it back. From what I can tell, each person creates their own world how they want it, but at the same time everyone's mind is becoming connected.

As stated in the episode, there was not enough time to explain the process, so they just give us Shinji's complementation of the mind. From that statement, that is how I deduced that this was a world event. I found it interesting to note that we see everyone taking part in Shinji's complementation. Everyone's mind is becoming part of each others. The comments from each of the characters were probably those people's thoughts entering Shinji's.

Let me try to explain my reasoning. It was mentioned that if one person was in someone else's mind, then that person is also in their mind. For example Misato was sitting in the chair when Shinji came up behind her, Shinji said that he was going to look at the Misato that was within himself. At that same moment, Misato said that her mind was within him. This is what I can understand of this big event.

The ending showed that Shinji was finally able to love himself. That is all I can say about that last episode. Shinji keeps talking bad about himself and how he doesn't have anything to live for. Everyone he knows convinces him that he is valuable and he becomes happy realizing he is a somebody. There was some interesting points being made such as how one can view the truth, but it wasn't something I never heard before. It basically is the old saying: Life is what you make it out to be.

After Shinji finally grows up, everyone claps and takes turns saying congratulations. When I say everyone, I mean everyone. Even PenPen was there along with his dead mother? Then Shinji thanks his father, says goodbye to his mother, and tells all the other children congratulations as well. Now, these last few lines were pretty interesting.

The first when he thanks his father. It appears that Shinji now understands what his father was trying to achieve, otherwise, why would he thank him? Problem here is that it isn't explicitly said why he thanked him. It is left up to us to figure out. The second line about saying goodbye to his mother shows that, despite seeing her in that last scene, that those that died in the past are forever lost or that the new world they live in they can still die. It depends on how you want to look at it.

For that last line, I interpreted it as him telling everyone else congratulations on their Complementation. When he said children, I believe he was referring to all that are born from Adam which would be all of Humanity. To further support this, what we thought was Adam underground was really Lilith. That final angel referred to all humans as Lilums. This further supports this interpretation.

Okay, now that all that has been taken care of, I can start wrapping up. I'll start off with what I liked about it. The characters were all complex and intriguing. Some more than others, but overall great and memorable. The story was very good and the setting was very unique. They slowly reveal the world to you that makes you want to keep learning more. The mysterious creatures called angels attack Tokyo-3 and no one tells you why. They keep giving us bits and pieces to form the whole story.

The battles with the angels were probably my favorite parts, but there were some that were kinda lame. I didn't like the angel that cried acid or the angel that would drop itself on Nerv. There might have been a few others that I thought were lame too, but I can't remember them. The episodes themselves probably made up for it.

Another thing I liked was the animation. Especially of the Evas. There was so much detail in how they moved and looked that makes me just want to rewatch some of the angel fights. The music was also fitting of the series. It made the fight scenes that much more exciting. Plus, who doesn't love that opening song?

Now for what I didn't like about the anime. I already mentioned some of the lame angel fights. Another thing would be the pacing of the show. It had that common rushed feeling towards the end. I believe someone told me they were running out of funding. Despite that, the beginning was pretty exciting, but somewhere between the beginning and second third of the series were okay at best. There was a period I stopped watching because of this. I ended up wanting to watch something else, but around episode 17-18 was where things started to get really good all the way to the end.

I actually liked the last two episodes. They gave us a lot of insight of the characters and what was happening to the world. I found them to be quite good, but the problem was that they were the last two episodes. The ending just wasn't enough for me. They just gave us Shinji's Complementation and nothing of the other characters. It also didn't show how this major event impacted the world. I'm sure the movie will fill me in on this for which I am glad, but as for the anime itself it is lacking a real ending. I would have preferred Shinji not being happy with himself for a more fitting ending, but maybe this was their focus all along in which case is fine.

With all that said, I'll rate this classic an 8/10. I almost gave it a 9/10, but the slow pacing of the middle and the rushed/unsatisfied ending bump it down to an 8. If both of those were fixed, it would have been an easy 10/10. Everything was great besides those two factors. Can't wait to start the movies!
Jan 17, 2013 3:31 PM

May 2012
What a piece of shit ending to a great anime. Now i understand why folk keep mentioning it as the worst ending ever.
Thank god for End of Evangelion (amazing!) otherwise the EVA name would've been forever tarnished!
Jan 20, 2013 5:07 PM

Dec 2012
lol wtf?
7/10
does the movies explain stuff ?
Jan 22, 2013 1:12 PM
May 2012
tsudecimo said:
lol wtf?
7/10

Well, you could say it explains some things...

It's kind hard to describe. EoE is just as much, if not more of a mindfuck as the original 26 episodes are. To understand the series properly, including it's themes and plot, it takes time, research and introspection.
Jan 23, 2013 12:53 AM

Dec 2012
Elikar said:
tsudecimo said:
lol wtf?
7/10

It's kind hard to describe. EoE is just as much, if not more of a mindfuck as the original 26 episodes are. To understand the series properly, including it's themes and plot, it takes time, research and introspection.

im plainning to watch all the movies , to be honest i didn't think the series (26 eps) was a mindfuck at all , i just think people focus too much on it is psychological aspect , and i didn't really found anything unique or special so meh.
Jan 23, 2013 9:00 AM
Nov 2011
tsudecimo said:
Elikar said:
tsudecimo said:
lol wtf?
7/10

im plainning to watch all the movies , to be honest i didn't think the series (26 eps) was a mindfuck at all , i just think people focus too much on it is psychological aspect , and i didn't really found anything unique or special so meh.

You guys don’t know what Evangelion means, Anno doesn’t know what evangelion means, because it doesn’t fucking mean anything. It’s not “deep and meaningful” it’s a convuluted and pretentious pile of crap that Anno made because he went to therapy. I could go around all day speaking in stupid riddles and you wouldn’t think I’m smart, just annoying. So why do you tolerate that kind of shit when it happens in a show?

The characters are nothing more than a list of fatal flaws cobbled together with a dime store novel plot and sprinkled with meaningless symbolism.

You could argue that that’s the way it was intended to be… but a show that’s intended to suck still, in the end, sucks!

<3 XCoyote
Jan 24, 2013 9:40 PM

Aug 2010
I was told to watch the movie before the last two episodes, it was probably for the best. This was not the type of show where you can shut off your brain and have fun watching it. Still, I enjoyed it.
Feb 18, 2013 11:24 PM

Oct 2012
The best ecchi rom-com I've seen...
And it's a 3-minute short in a pyschological mech anime.-_-)
Feb 21, 2013 5:37 AM
Aug 2012
i swear it seemed like they made this ending whilst seriously high the ending was completely random and was miles away from the story of the series how did he even get to that mind stat where is he in reality has the ava absorbed him again or what
Feb 26, 2013 12:25 AM

Jan 2013
8/10

Glad I finished it, just because it's so popular.
Mar 2, 2013 8:13 AM
Sep 2012
wtf?
Mar 9, 2013 12:20 PM
Mar 2013
Baldark said:
Finally finished this classic after all these years. I have a friend who had all the VHS and DVDs of this series and he swore up and down it was the best. That was back in early 2000's and now it is 2013. As I am writing this, I still don't know what to give this classic. So, let me try to work out how I should rate this. I haven't read up on anything yet, but I plan to after watching EoE.

A good place to start would be the characters. The important characters had a good amount of time dedicated to them while the side characters, basically classmates, had maybe half to a full episode to develop. On that note, I found that the important characters were all unique and interesting. Each has some kind of twisted thing wrong with them that helped form who they are. The struggle against this aspect of themselves is what makes them so interesting.

The story/setting is very unique. The world is constantly being attacked by "Angels" who want to reach Adam in order to bring about the destruction of Humanity. While this is all happening, we don't even know why they are attacking and thus leads to a huge overarching mystery that starts to unravel near the end.

Let my try to piece together what I gathered of the story. From what I can understand, the appearance of the Angels were all foretold in the Dead Sea Scrolls. It told of what would happen when Adam was reached and what would happen once all the Angels were defeated. Very few people knew of this development and Shinji's father is working hard to achieve this ending.

There appears to be some conflict between Shinji's father and Seele. Shinji's father is hoping for the defeat of the final angel while Seele, hoping for the same thing, believe that he is taking it too far in become god. I am not sure how he goes about doing this, I would have to rewatch some of the episodes again, but all I can remember was the scene where Commander Ikari had some new angel growing in his hand. Shortly after that scene, Seele is talking with the final angel about Commander Ikari becoming the revival of Adam. What this means, I am not entirely sure, but he appears to be doing it for his wife Yui.

It appears that his plan was successful and that is how we got the last two episodes of the series. This event that was happening was called "The Complementation of the people by the Instrumentality of Man" experiment. Apparently, human's lost something from their minds long ago and this event will gain it back. From what I can tell, each person creates their own world how they want it, but at the same time everyone's mind is becoming connected.

As stated in the episode, there was not enough time to explain the process, so they just give us Shinji's complementation of the mind. From that statement, that is how I deduced that this was a world event. I found it interesting to note that we see everyone taking part in Shinji's complementation. Everyone's mind is becoming part of each others. The comments from each of the characters were probably those people's thoughts entering Shinji's.

Let me try to explain my reasoning. It was mentioned that if one person was in someone else's mind, then that person is also in their mind. For example Misato was sitting in the chair when Shinji came up behind her, Shinji said that he was going to look at the Misato that was within himself. At that same moment, Misato said that her mind was within him. This is what I can understand of this big event.

The ending showed that Shinji was finally able to love himself. That is all I can say about that last episode. Shinji keeps talking bad about himself and how he doesn't have anything to live for. Everyone he knows convinces him that he is valuable and he becomes happy realizing he is a somebody. There was some interesting points being made such as how one can view the truth, but it wasn't something I never heard before. It basically is the old saying: Life is what you make it out to be.

After Shinji finally grows up, everyone claps and takes turns saying congratulations. When I say everyone, I mean everyone. Even PenPen was there along with his dead mother? Then Shinji thanks his father, says goodbye to his mother, and tells all the other children congratulations as well. Now, these last few lines were pretty interesting.

The first when he thanks his father. It appears that Shinji now understands what his father was trying to achieve, otherwise, why would he thank him? Problem here is that it isn't explicitly said why he thanked him. It is left up to us to figure out. The second line about saying goodbye to his mother shows that, despite seeing her in that last scene, that those that died in the past are forever lost or that the new world they live in they can still die. It depends on how you want to look at it.

For that last line, I interpreted it as him telling everyone else congratulations on their Complementation. When he said children, I believe he was referring to all that are born from Adam which would be all of Humanity. To further support this, what we thought was Adam underground was really Lilith. That final angel referred to all humans as Lilums. This further supports this interpretation.

Okay, now that all that has been taken care of, I can start wrapping up. I'll start off with what I liked about it. The characters were all complex and intriguing. Some more than others, but overall great and memorable. The story was very good and the setting was very unique. They slowly reveal the world to you that makes you want to keep learning more. The mysterious creatures called angels attack Tokyo-3 and no one tells you why. They keep giving us bits and pieces to form the whole story.

The battles with the angels were probably my favorite parts, but there were some that were kinda lame. I didn't like the angel that cried acid or the angel that would drop itself on Nerv. There might have been a few others that I thought were lame too, but I can't remember them. The episodes themselves probably made up for it.

Another thing I liked was the animation. Especially of the Evas. There was so much detail in how they moved and looked that makes me just want to rewatch some of the angel fights. The music was also fitting of the series. It made the fight scenes that much more exciting. Plus, who doesn't love that opening song?

Now for what I didn't like about the anime. I already mentioned some of the lame angel fights. Another thing would be the pacing of the show. It had that common rushed feeling towards the end. I believe someone told me they were running out of funding. Despite that, the beginning was pretty exciting, but somewhere between the beginning and second third of the series were okay at best. There was a period I stopped watching because of this. I ended up wanting to watch something else, but around episode 17-18 was where things started to get really good all the way to the end.

I actually liked the last two episodes. They gave us a lot of insight of the characters and what was happening to the world. I found them to be quite good, but the problem was that they were the last two episodes. The ending just wasn't enough for me. They just gave us Shinji's Complementation and nothing of the other characters. It also didn't show how this major event impacted the world. I'm sure the movie will fill me in on this for which I am glad, but as for the anime itself it is lacking a real ending. I would have preferred Shinji not being happy with himself for a more fitting ending, but maybe this was their focus all along in which case is fine.

With all that said, I'll rate this classic an 8/10. I almost gave it a 9/10, but the slow pacing of the middle and the rushed/unsatisfied ending bump it down to an 8. If both of those were fixed, it would have been an easy 10/10. Everything was great besides those two factors. Can't wait to start the movies!

This should be in the reviews section.

On topic - The ending was fine. I don't understand why everyone expects the last episode to bring about some sense of closure. It leaves things unanswered and open-ended because that's they way they are. The choice was open to each character in a way and Shinji chose to live a dream and that's what he did in the end.

Too many people used to the mundane "normal" endings. Its awesome that Anno went no holds barred with the ending and didn't sweeten it up.

That said, EOE was great.
[b]Join #myanimelist on RizonIRC![b]
(^∇^)

Mar 12, 2013 7:10 AM

Mar 2012
You disappointing me NGE. Don't give me the 2deep4u ending. Was this a budget problem or was the director trying to be a smart ass?
Mar 14, 2013 4:53 PM
Feb 2013
Budget.
Mar 18, 2013 11:38 AM
Apr 2012
I was oddly satisfied with the ending and i didn't really mind the animation either because it wasn't that important for this episode. But probably won't rate this anime too highly. The main reasons for this are that during the first 20 or so episodes you are made to believe this to be a certain kind of anime and then suddenly it becomes a completely different kind of anime. This isn't necessarily bad, but in NGE's case so much of what you believed to be important at first turned out to be not so important at all. Aside from this there are also so many things left unanswered that saying something like ''you have to figure that out yourself'' just doesn't justify it. Heck we don't even know HOW Shinji's father in the end managed to accomplish his goals and WHY Adam a.k.a. Lilith was crucial for this. Who wrote the dead sea scrolls? Why was it necessary to defeat all the angels before the Human Instrumentality Program could progess? And a few thousand more.
That said it might get a higher rating after a rewatch because i will be paying attention to different things and will know what NOT to expect from this anime, but i am planning to rewatch it anytime soon.
Morani90Mar 18, 2013 11:45 AM
Mar 20, 2013 5:35 PM

Jan 2013
einherjan said:
I must say, that was the oddest ending to an anime I have ever seen. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying it was bad it was just different. I should have expected that from one of the more "intellectual" animes. I think the last two episodes were a bit hard to take in (at least for me). That could have been because this is the first time I have watched this anime and should watch it again to be able to catch some more things. Also I should maybe read the manga. It may have helped to read wikipedia before hand, but that would really just ruin it.

So, the last two episodes were extremely interesting. I am still confused on what is going on in the episodes though suppose the Human Instrumentality Project has commenced. Though the HIP was revealed slowly throughout the series, the major part of it was really just sprung at the very end. At first I thought the Human Instrumentality Project was what Gendo was doing with Rei with the tube and the big brain. Though I was completely wrong. So what I am trying to understand is what is the Human Instrumentality Project and why is it necessary to have a collective conciseness? I am most likely missing a part of the story here, because I still don't understand what the "plan" was. I think although that the last two episodes were executed very well though, though I think they could have done it a little differently, though I am sure they didn't know how to do it. I think it was very philosophical to say the least. Though I think that they could have made episode 25 and 26 one episode and added a real ending to it, but that would defeat he purpose for the spin off movies. Though they aren't how I would end it either (from what I have read on wikipedia).

With these two episodes aside, I'd still rank the series 10/10, if including them 9. I haven't seen an anime like this in awhile that actually made me think. I'd rather see an anime like this than a run of the mill hack and slash. So it was a nice change.

lol "run of the mill hack and slash"
suuuuure, that genre lol.

uhm idk really what to say about this ending.
Mar 20, 2013 5:38 PM

Oct 2011
dextronaut said:

uhm idk really what to say about this ending.

Say nothing. Just take it in and let it set. Like a fine wine. Made up of blood and tears.

And rape.
Mar 30, 2013 2:21 AM

Jan 2012
@Dunois

I would really like to put that into the reviews section, but it contains spoilers according to the guidelines of writing reviews. I should start writing proper reviews for I find them to be pretty fun.

In fact, I'm working on Big O at the moment. I'll keep the details of my interpretations in the discussion threads and my general thoughts of the series in the reviews section. Thought it is difficult to write general thoughts without revealing spoilers. I'll figure this out eventually.
BaldarkMar 30, 2013 2:29 AM
Apr 19, 2013 8:54 AM

Nov 2009
In my opinion episodes 25 and 26 offered a lot of valuable insights into the characters mental states but failed miserably as an actual conclusion to an otherwise amazing series.

This is the second time I've watched Evangelion, the first time was 10 years ago along with Death and Rebirth and The End Of Evangelion. All these years it had been a favorite of myn even though the ending and the movies were a blur in my mind. So I thought it was about time to rewatch it. You can tell they started running low on the budget towards the end. For example, the rough drawings, the flash backs, the text. It's been said that eps 25 and 26 are not how they intended to end the show and thus they made The End Of Evangelion movie, which by the way is now is very hard to get a retail version of. Am going to have to try to watch it because ep 26 leaves far too much to be desired... However, this was an amazing series non the less. One of a kind. Am glad they decided to do the remakes and bring this classic back to life (and hopefully a better concluscion :P).

Can anyone answer this for me? The manga was in creation before the anime so Yoshiyuki Sadamoto came up with the original story? (Love his artwork by the way) Since he spent some time in prison? the manga came to a halt and is still in publishing. Did that affect the ending of the anime series? I love the manga version by the way, have been eagerly awaiting the final volumes for ages :).
Apr 21, 2013 12:11 AM

Sep 2011
Huh? HUH?

But honestly, the last few episodes are chores to finish them for me that I was on the verge of dropping this. The only episodes that I truly enjoyed are the Asuka episodes. Well, story-wise this isn't bad but this series itself isn't really for me.

7/10.

Apr 29, 2013 11:26 PM
Feb 2011
I really hoped for an ending that's consistent with the rest of the series. Man, I feel trolled.
Ayanami17 said:
In my opinion episodes 25 and 26 offered a lot of valuable insights into the characters mental states but failed miserably as an actual conclusion to an otherwise amazing series.

Same. Then again, it's not an actual conclusion story-wise. If the budget hadn't been a problem episode 26 might have been merged with 25, with the former delivering a more plot- and not character-centric ending.
May 7, 2013 7:22 AM

Jul 2009
The ending is nonsense masquerading as something that's deep which it isn't and the people who're claiming that you have to "get it" in order to appreciate the ending probably don't get it themselves.

Don't get me wrong, I love it when anime gets psychological/philosophical, Kaiji and Akagi are examples of anime that pull off this genre perfectly, but this ending is just incoherent rubbish and everybody knows it.
-Jinsei-May 7, 2013 7:25 AM
May 10, 2013 2:35 PM

Feb 2012
The ending WHAAT?! O_O

Thoughts from Final Episode 26

Okay so Shinji understand that he was hating himself and believed that everyone hated him also. Which means this was all happening inside of Shinji's mind and it was kind of dream but this sure left many questions. Why make 26 episode series anime if you don't finish plot and go deeply into characters mind. That congratulations was just probably finishing this anime. Or that Shinji understand who he really is.

So technically his father doesn't hate him he just dreamed that he would do that. So Gendo is good guy pretty weird. Kind of like he saw 2 possible worlds. Original world where he pilots EVA and he need to get everyone noticed him for good deeds. And word without war and no EVA's and organizations. Where everyone loves him and notices him. Shinji technically made growth with his psychological progress through out series and finally break out of it. So he was kind of like in coma.

Budget was one of the reasons and Anno's mental sickness must be other. He wasn't sure how to finish this anime until movies. I hope movies will explain something more maybe in deph look for plot. And there is another ending to watch.

Still Neon Genesis Evangelion is using despression and Gods, mankind, biochemistry science and psychology really well and that why it's unique anime and concept of course too. Music is also really emotional especially when Ritsuko was destroying dummy core and Rei clones. And symbolism is just nice add for making this series look awesome.

Definitely this anime puts every viewer to think so much that it's confusing when watching this. That's why I give NGE 4/5 Ending sucks but it could been much worse.
May 16, 2013 1:21 AM

Dec 2008
Worst ending ever.
It is a good anime, especially episodes 19 - 24. But the last two....
May 18, 2013 11:23 AM

Mar 2013
What it all boils down to, it seems to me, is the inner struggle all of us have to face.
By ourselves.
Until we die.

That's depressing D:

3nvy said:
that eoten be eatin the pizza pi

Does anybody know a way that a body could get away?
May 26, 2013 7:02 PM

Oct 2012
Honestly, this anime disappointed me greatly. After hearing friends and others rant and rave about how magnificent and stupendous this show is, and being assimilated into the anime culture of the internet long enough to hear NGE repeated throughout every forum, social media site, and reviews - I don't see the value. It didn't hold consistency for me. Evangelion lacked substance.

For me, I was expecting a much more melodramatic and traumatized protagonist. I found Shinji to be quite bland in comparison of my expectations. He resembled a typical insecure, 14 year old boy with fears that are commonly discussed and, unfortunately, are romanticized throughout media and culture. I felt as if the director was trying a bit too hard to make this project come across as deeper than what it really was, especially displayed within episodes 25 + 26.

I personally enjoyed the premise and found the plot to be very interesting, and I did enjoy the series from the beginning to about episode 23 or so - though at times, it came across as a bit mundane and perhaps boring at certain periods. Some details and events throughout were regurgitated and reused more than what I would have preferred. I didn't see the value or the superiority of this anime unlike many of my friends and others who praise this piece to be the most intellectual, complex and hypothetical work they have watched.

I feel perhaps I may need to give this series another go, or watch rebuild and the films before I make a true verdict of the Evangelion series. I'm so disappointed with the ending, though. Terrible. Without it, I would have easily given this anime an 8/10.
May 31, 2013 12:41 PM

Aug 2008
For me, I was expecting a much more melodramatic and traumatized protagonist. I found Shinji to be quite bland in comparison of my expectations. He resembled a typical insecure, 14 year old boy with fears that are commonly discussed and, unfortunately, are romanticized throughout media and culture. I felt as if the director was trying a bit too hard to make this project come across as deeper than what it really was, especially displayed within episodes 25 + 26.

Well Shinji IS suppose to be a typical insecure boy. Plus evangelion isn't trying to be as deep as you say it is (some people will tell you otherwise). It's mainly a social commentary series, but yeah. Sorry you didn't enjoy it though, perhaps you'll like rebuild better.
Jun 2, 2013 4:18 PM

Mar 2012
I always wondered why of the 3 classics of the latter 1990s (Evangelion, Cowboy Bebop, and Trigun) that Evangelion held the lowest rating on all forum sites you could find ratings for. I figured that since it was a mecha, most people would watch it for a few episodes drop and say wow that sucked, because it takes a certain kind of anime lover to really like mecha animes it seems. I think the rating killer was the fact that the show bounced themes, becoming an entirely different show from what it was in the beginning; it was a horror action thriller, but became a psychological thriller. Honestly I felt like the writer really had no idea the direction he wished the anime to go in..this is pretty evident in the final 2 episodes which have since been remade.

8/10, While I believe the TV series is far from a masterpiece, it held my interest for quite a bit, hopefully the revamped final 2 episodes will be awesome.

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment"
Jun 2, 2013 11:24 PM
Jul 2018
I don't know how to describe the ending. Oddest and weirdest ending I have ever seen. It's not a bad ending for me though. Off to watch "The End of Evangelion." While watching this, I felt like I'm watching it for hours. :c
removed-userJun 2, 2013 11:37 PM
Jun 2, 2013 11:46 PM

Dec 2012
Smooched said:
You disappointing me NGE. Don't give me the 2deep4u ending. Was this a budget problem or was the director trying to be a smart ass?

Both. EoE was supposed to be the ending. Watch that. Masterpiece.
I am important. I have a girlfriend. Check out my podcast
Jun 3, 2013 4:01 PM

Oct 2012
^Don't worry guys, I sent this guy a comment about you know what

Just this once, I'll fulfill whatever your wish is.
Jun 5, 2013 1:31 AM

May 2013
Show got real weird yo.
Pages (17) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Voltlighter - Dec 9, 2007

174 by Haz_Noz »»
Yesterday, 4:22 PM

» Should i watch this ( 1 2 )

Lonely_kun - Apr 18

72 by daazexx »»
Yesterday, 3:58 AM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Voltlighter - Nov 29, 2007

202 by sailorneptunelvr »»
Apr 25, 5:13 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Voltlighter - Dec 17, 2007

286 by ToTheGyz »»
Apr 24, 4:58 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Voltlighter - Dec 17, 2007

342 by ToTheGyz »»
Apr 23, 6:13 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.