Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 13, 2009 2:34 PM

Jan 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I like how the show (unlike Gekigangar's ilk) doesnt force a cheap happy ending on you with everything resolved. It resolves all the most important plot and character points, but everything else can be left alone. The war not ending on screen is fine, but it was important to tie up the professor's past and Akito and Yurika's relationship.

Classic show in my opinion, the TTGL of the 90's.
KinetaNov 23, 2012 9:08 AM
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Jun 19, 2010 5:36 AM

Aug 2009
I was severely disappointed with the episode. I was expecting an actual ending.
Jul 3, 2010 2:55 PM

Oct 2009
me too the ending was the only thing i didnt like about this anime
Jul 25, 2010 4:07 PM

May 2010
I was a bit disappointed in the ending at first, but I found it funny later as they were basically doing a parody of how some anime series do not wrap anything up at all. I particularly like how Ruri goes "a sequel will probably tie up all these loose ends".
Nov 10, 2010 3:48 AM

Nov 2009
The ending wasn't bad but series overall wasn't very fun for me. After promising start story went downhill completely. There was a lot going on all the time but nothing really interesting. That's why i give this series 5/10.
Nov 22, 2010 8:07 AM
Jul 2018
From what I got outta it, the Gekiganger thing was always something that would humor or annoy viewers.
Eventually, it got to the point, where the idea of someone "living the dream" wasn't exactly groundless anymore.(Similar to Trekkies from way back when)

The plot goes a little hand in hand with the morals of "how to see or treat your favorite things in life".
This being one of my first mecha series, I was quite impressed! And, IMHO, Lucky Star's got nothing on this!

Episode: 9/10 Overall: 10/10
Feb 10, 2011 6:44 PM

Sep 2009
I loved the ending. It resolved enough of the story and character relationships to satisfy, though when I first watched (and this was a looooooooong time ago, back when the series was just released in America) I was scratching my head a little and saying "That's it?!?!?" Excellent ending to one of my favorite series.
not a job creator

Nov 19, 2011 8:39 PM

Sep 2011
as i say to pretty much every romance that gets resolved FINALLY!!!

though i do love how they just take a crack at how most shows dont have endings,

i loved this show immensely, it did comedy great, it did drama equally as great, the romance was great, the characters were all likable and developed, and it was just overall a great show, this really was the TTGL of the 90's
JizzyHitlerMar 13, 2015 7:40 AM

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Mar 8, 2013 1:46 AM

Feb 2010
Wow. This is something out of ordinary, this show. Makes me wish I watched those old mecha anime to give me context, and knew more of japanese (Izumi puns ftw), but anyway I guess I had enough to enjoy it. I like how it's multidimensional and meta-ing itself but not so it becomes a farce. Well balanced, often much too high paced, almost hectic, but holding together nicely. It somehow managed to develop it's many characters, which is a big win, and didn't kill off many (none of my favourites) for which I would be gratefull to any show... It is also a smart show, if I may say that, of kind I find refreshing. Wouldn't want every anime to be this way, but I like how much thought went into it and how it was communicating with me. I know I didn't get everything there was to get. And I never will for those references cultural or lost in time, but mostly I feel that it aged well. After watching this I wished there was more goodness of similar nature to Shingu (later anime of Nadesico's director), or again if it was continued past it's not realy an end ending. Nadesico ends rather abruptly but it doesn't realy dissapoint me as it is. Given it's nature and pacing it is only fair. Still it's ova 'Gekiganger-3' provided for some more closure, even if it only has a few minutes of interaction between our cast, and mostly showing moments of fictional mecha anime series. Perhaps no ending is better that a bad sequel, and since it ended on a good side for me, I'll leave it at that (or wish me luck on finding\writing doujin\fanfictions!) I guess I too "don't realy want Nadesico to end" to rephrase Akito :D
burbelsMar 8, 2013 1:50 AM
Hell is empty and all the devils are here.
Mar 25, 2013 10:01 PM

May 2010
Truthfully, I was confused sometimes. 7/10 from me because it was kind of crazily funny sometimes. The OP and ED were great
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Apr 27, 2013 9:23 PM

Oct 2012
I loved the show, but the non ending left me frustrated. There is nothing that I hate more than the "irresolute japanese ending." Overall though, I really enjoyed the series and am glad that I purchased it.
Let this be our little secret, no needs to know we're feeling HIGHER AND HIGHER AND HIGHER!
Nov 30, 2013 9:08 PM

Nov 2011
Wait, so they have to kiss each other to do the right thing. Nice. Dat kiss.

A bit cliched for the final episode but the entire series was surprisingly enjoyable imo. There were some mystery left in unexplored history but whatever. I didn't take this show too seriously since it contained a tons of humor. 7/10.

Wait..."inevitable sequel". Oh my.
Jan 5, 2014 2:48 PM

Sep 2013
Not a fan of the last episode but a fan of the anime in general. Ruri is the best
Jan 6, 2014 9:19 AM

Feb 2010
Ruri is adorable, but Maki is mai waifu X)
Jul 22, 2014 3:57 PM

Apr 2008
Haha, Nadesico's ending is so troll. It leads you along till the very end, only to say "screw it" to wrapping up the interplanetary war and concludes with a love confession of all things. The real kicker is that the characters call out the terrible ending for Gekiganger 3, yet admit that they love what the show symbolized despite that. So really, the shoddy end in Nadesico is a total red herring for the theme of being true to oneself. A gutsy yet clever way of providing thematic closure in my eyes.

Jul 30, 2014 7:45 AM

Jul 2012
Don_Don_Kun said:
Haha, Nadesico's ending is so troll. It leads you along till the very end, only to say "screw it" to wrapping up the interplanetary war and concludes with a love confession of all things. The real kicker is that the characters call out the terrible ending for Gekiganger 3, yet admit that they love what the show symbolized despite that. So really, the shoddy end in Nadesico is a total red herring for the theme of being true to oneself. A gutsy yet clever way of providing thematic closure in my eyes.

I agree
Feb 4, 2015 7:17 AM

Oct 2008
Just a laughable series from start to end,and sadly not always in a good way.
Its not even that much of a parody as much as people are so eagerly overpraising it as ,its just a mediocre series that couldn't decide it it wants to serious or slap stick (sometimes from scene to scene) and just mix shit up and see what will come afterwards. Entire episodes felt out of order,most characters were completely one note and idiotic (because that's funny right?) and just overall how it just couldn't slow down for once to have more than 3 seconds dedicated to a scene and properly set things up but instead just have this constant ADD mentality and rush as many scenes one after the other down the viewers throat.
TTGL of the 90's my ass,this is the Samurai Flamenco for the 90's....
amateurFeb 4, 2015 7:37 AM
Mar 13, 2015 7:40 AM

Nov 2011
Don_Don_Kun said:

Obviously, we all wanted a REAL ending. No matter how clever they may have been, no matter how careful they were in planting the seeds, a real ending that gives a feeling of gratification is what we all lied in wait for, not some clever troll 'ending'.

They were messing around even to the last episode.

It was a great, fun ride while it lasted, but they intentionally made the ending suck so bad like Gekigangar's ending as Akito said.

amateur said:
Just a laughable series from start to end,and sadly not always in a good way.
Its not even that much of a parody as much as people are so eagerly overpraising it as ,its just a mediocre series that couldn't decide it it wants to serious or slap stick (sometimes from scene to scene) and just mix shit up and see what will come afterwards. Entire episodes felt out of order,most characters were completely one note and idiotic (because that's funny right?) and just overall how it just couldn't slow down for once to have more than 3 seconds dedicated to a scene and properly set things up but instead just have this constant ADD mentality and rush as many scenes one after the other down the viewers throat.
TTGL of the 90's my ass

I bear nothing but affirmation to everything you just said. It's a series I wanted to love, but it only turns out that the episodes themselves were the fun things to watch, not the anime in its entirety (with the 'story' and all).

Though shit got really interesting around midway, they still fucked shit up like HEY, HEY, HEY

HEY

HEY

HEY

Goddamnit man

Now I want to rewatch Gurren Lagann and rid myself of this rather bitter aftertaste. I want to SEE the TRUE GEKIGANGAR ending in TTGL.

Time to move onto The prince of darkness and the Gekigangar 3 movie. I have high hopes for the former.
May 1, 2015 8:05 AM

Jun 2014
imo below average series overall

-mediocre action
-unappealing mecha
-unlikeable mc (tsundere as fuck and shinji wannabe. He's an asshole for kissing Megumi for whatever reason and made her cry multiple times)
-horrible voice (mc's voice raped my ears every time he screamed)

Really the series ended with Akito's speech about the last episode of Gengikar? Tsugumu's (spelling ?) death was pointless because of that.

Unfortunately this wasnt a parody just a bad anime.
3/10
Nov 30, 2015 12:52 AM

Feb 2010
The thing is not if all liked the show or appreciated the love that went in, what matters is that it is there. This is not a dose of entertainment you take to distract you from the world. Nadesico is a wild ride that challenges your ability to keep up with it (I couldn't, had to stop and think) but it strikes too close home for comfort. When it doesn't take it's tropes too seriously, it has a message to tell, and uses those beat up tropes so that they don't have to be amusing by themselves, but serve again as they would in literature. It has content for both, young and mature audience, and it's damn funny when it's not tragic. So much to appreciate in a 26x20 package, it's certainly not your usual show. I wouldn't compare it to TTGL, which is full of epicness, while Nadesico is self-aware and ironic about the whole heroic mecha space opera thing. It's not about mecha or heroics or action or romance or drama. Nadesico is about the things we love in anime and life, and all those faults of reality, where you may have your home and life destroyed by a war you don't even cared about, where you can die (or live) by accident regardless of who you are and if it was worth it, or live and feel guilty for it, where you can lose your loved one (twice) or have a love unrequited, or when the show you admired might dissapoint you with it's cheesy ending... It transcends it's medium, like a good story should and turns audience to themselves.. without expecting much of them. Because this life is also the one, where you can make a brilliant show and yet, someone would call it crap, just because it was not that they expected or could appreciate. You have to love what you do for your own sake, not for approval, to dare making such picture, which makes fun of itself and doesn't pamper it's viewer, while not trying to look smarter than thou. Nadesico is a strange gem, but surely a precious one.
Jan 25, 2016 11:38 AM
Jul 2018
i found it hilarious yurika hopping into mecha kinda and them quarreling
5/10
removed-userMar 3, 2016 4:25 AM
Dec 16, 2016 3:21 PM

May 2012
blessofcurse said:
imo below average series overall

-mediocre action
-unappealing mecha
-unlikeable mc (tsundere as fuck and shinji wannabe. He's an asshole for kissing Megumi for whatever reason and made her cry multiple times)
-horrible voice (mc's voice raped my ears every time he screamed)

Really the series ended with Akito's speech about the last episode of Gengikar? Tsugumu's (spelling ?) death was pointless because of that.

Unfortunately this wasnt a parody just a bad anime.
3/10

Wow same opinion and same note.
I despise woke people.
Aug 23, 2017 1:15 PM

Aug 2013
I expected nothing and I got.. Well, great series. It was really, really great. Atmospheric as fu*k, nostalgic as fu*k. And one more thing - it wasn't got old at all. Direction feels fresh, if not cell animation I wouldn't be able to believe that it has already over 21 years old! Speaking about animation. It was fuc*in glorious. Beautiful art, and hand drawn mecha. Excellent.
Awesome voice acting (of course I mean main cast, not the atrocious dub). 9/10. Didn't expect something that good.
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Feb 24, 2019 1:02 PM

Aug 2008
no matter how many times I rewatch this awesome show, it never gets boring. Might be similar to how Akito feels about Gekigangar.
Sep 28, 2019 5:09 PM

Jul 2009
This feels like a reflection of the Gekiggangar ending. Basically it didn't end well for everyone and in some cases the ending maybe suck for some.

I think the ending was fine. Of course I know there's a movie coming out, so maybe that's why it didn't felt any disappointment. I just hope they will continue the war in the movie.

A lot of revelations was revealed! Like Inez being Ai from the first episode, being able to boson jump only those for people who were born/lived in Mars due to the ruins rewritten their DNA. I also can't believed they mentioned something about Nanomachines.

METAL GEAR!?! Then again, this aired before it, so probably something closer to Ghost in the Shell.

They finally kissed!! Finally!!! I know Yurika didn't want at first just because of Inez/Ai as well as not liking Akito to force himself to kiss(She wants him to kiss her, as if he means it wholly).

Well we have a so called happy ending, but not yet done due to the movie! So I'll be watching it afterwards anyways!

Great series! Alot of the concepts and story templates(Nadesico Launch Pad, Drama as well as mixed of Comedy) were really ahead of time. Shame how it never has gotten big as Evangelion which both shows came out around the same time (1995-1996).

I give it a 9/10. I really love the story and generally the comedy and light heartiness was a great mixed. Artstyle and colorful cast just adds the goodness within it!
Sep 28, 2019 7:31 PM

Jul 2009
Here's some images for the series :D

Nov 18, 2019 5:39 PM

Dec 2008
The ending is obviously rushed and cobbled together no matter how you look at it. They tell us in the final lines of dialogue that the Jovians and Earthlings are going to be angry at each other from a distance, meaning the Retrospect cube is apparently on the Aestivalis with Yurika, although we never saw it get loaded on board, and no one ever said anything about that specifically? And I guess they took it somewhere that makes it hard to get back, but where? The final key image shows the Aestivalis resting against some kind of ship, but I didn't recognize it. If giving us a half-baked ending is what they were going for, they sure delivered.
Jun 9, 2020 4:17 AM

Jul 2015
Oh boi how the heck could I have forgotten about the most important character Ai-chan, to think she would become such a milf
Took a damn long while but we got the kiss scene guys and more importantly the OG ADMIRAL RETURNED!!

I have to say this was a pretty weird series even for a parody, jumping between serious and comedic moments really did improve from some earlier episodes where it sometimes felt a bit weird. Kind of unique how they didn't really stopped the war and only created a temporary peace by stopping the boson jump thingy.

Nov 13, 2020 5:03 PM

Aug 2016
Imagine comparing an iconic story like TTGL with this trash. This is basically the guy at school who tried really hard at being funny by throwing jokes about himself just to find out how cringy they are. good atmosphere and soulful character designs wasted on a complete mess. As someone stated, not a parody: just a bad anime. Or at most a really poor attempt of one.
MichaelJacksonNov 13, 2020 5:22 PM
:v
Dec 25, 2020 12:26 PM
Jul 2018
I had a feeling of this anticlimatic ending still sorta disappointed we couldn't see other characters' closures given how the show established them so well. The plot was wack at best which I feel could appreciate more if I could had been familiar with the series the show parodied. Regardless, overall really enjoyed the first half and few of the twists in the second half and the characters and production value really outweighs the flaws for me. Also thought the music were great too.
Oct 18, 2021 11:54 PM

Oct 2013
I agree, how can you compare Nadesico to TTGL? This show is actually good.
Apr 10, 2022 11:57 AM

Nov 2017
And that is that!

Admittedly, I didn't remember the ending that much outside the kiss. It took 26 episodes to get there, but it eventually happened (as I suspected since Yurika wanted one from Akito for quite some time).

Good thing they didn't directly show Akito slapping Yurika, I thought that would've been in poor taste if they did. Not gonna front, I do wish Gai was still here with 'em. *Le sigh*

Ruri's a good narrator, as she's always been! This re-watch was definitely worth it! I'll have to do it again sometime!~
May 22, 2022 12:19 AM
Voltekka!

Sep 2017
It was okay, i guess.....
Jun 29, 2022 8:45 PM
Jun 2020
This show is such a blast. I realize that the first few episodes were fast-paced enough and I wasn't accustomed to all the characters yet, so the day after finishing, I'm rewatching the beginning eps ;) Haven't ever done that with a show before and it's still hilarious.

Was not expecting the Inez / Ai connection at all and made me tear up.

One question -- this ghostly girl is in the opening throughout the series and I never knew who it represents? Is it just Yurika in a certain mood and lighter, purpley hair? (Sorry didn't shrink the image).

I love Erina's angry-pissed face too:
WaterSoullllJun 29, 2022 8:50 PM
Aug 23, 2023 2:16 PM

Apr 2020
Started off great but then it fell off imo.
6/10
Go watch Gintama boyo/grill
My discord server for gaming and anime/manga: https://discord.com/invite/4mqXfNEJ9A
Dec 8, 2023 3:03 AM
Dec 2023
It's my favorite anime.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kidou Senkan Nadesico Episode 10 Discussion

cantius - Mar 26, 2009

12 by SuperJohnDoe »»
Apr 10, 3:08 PM

Poll: » Kidou Senkan Nadesico Episode 9 Discussion

gohdan - Aug 25, 2011

14 by SuperJohnDoe »»
Apr 8, 2:27 PM

Poll: » Kidou Senkan Nadesico Episode 16 Discussion

cantius - Apr 1, 2009

10 by Bidoof_PMD-EOS »»
Sep 6, 2023 11:32 PM

Poll: » Kidou Senkan Nadesico Episode 4 Discussion

Ryushi - Aug 2, 2008

19 by Sasutaschi »»
May 22, 2023 5:18 PM

Poll: » Kidou Senkan Nadesico Episode 24 Discussion

Beatnik - Jun 13, 2009

12 by iamupinacloud »»
Mar 3, 2023 12:54 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.