Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
May 6, 2013 6:06 AM
Jul 2018

"It smells like blood." Why does it smell like blood?
There are still so many mysteries about the Eva that is yet to be answered.
May 23, 2013 1:38 AM

Jul 2012
So... is his mom embedded in that thing or what? Awesome.
Jul 4, 2013 4:01 PM

Nov 2011
All that stuff about the Dirac Sea and, I think, the Cartesian Self/Cartesian Other was weird. I'm not sure if it feels like they're throwing out scientific jargon pretentiously or to actually create interesting invaders or not, though.

I'm glad we're finally getting a little more information about the angels.
Jul 23, 2013 5:12 PM

Jun 2013
Man, there were some serious shits going on in this episode. And awkwardly, it took me a little time and a little research to realize that it was Unit-01 that killed the angel. All in all, I liked this episode.
Aug 6, 2013 1:43 PM

Jul 2013
OMG THAT EPISODE WAS AMAZING!

That was some deep stuff between him and the angel lol. I loved when Unit 1 burst out of it! That was like the most epic thing I've ever seen! <3
Sep 10, 2013 6:18 AM

Sep 2011
Holy epicness!

From this episode it seems Shinji's mother, Rei, the Evas, and the Angels all link up somehow. I'm curious!
Oct 13, 2013 10:40 PM
Jul 2018
What an amazing and stressful episode! XD
Misato crying over Shinji made me ;__; a bit lol
I sort of thought Shinji could of died, but it was pretty obvious that he wasn't.
That Eva at the end, with the blood all over it, was BADASS!!

Also, I wonder, what is the secret of the Evas?
Oct 17, 2013 11:49 AM

Aug 2012
Bloody mecha, super awesome
Oct 31, 2013 11:57 PM

Oct 2013
I Cant understand much of it...
Nov 5, 2013 11:14 AM
Oct 2011
Misato brings up an interesting point. What DOES NERV intend to do with the Evas after all of the angels are gone?
Dec 23, 2013 2:08 AM

Aug 2007
I'm guessing they don't call them "angels" for nothing?
Gosh, I'm so sleepy... but I have a feeling I'm going to wake up and watch more.
This series is really starting to create too many questions that I want to know the answers to.

Dec 25, 2013 11:21 PM

Jan 2013
Best part: Shinji breaks out -flashes to everyone's intense and surprised faces... and then there's Rei's (which looks the same as always)-

Hmmm what do they mean about the Eva's secrets? I bet it's got something to do with humans/blood since Shinji said it smelt like blood. Human sacrifices? It's not their own blood so who's blood is it?
Dec 29, 2013 2:12 PM
Jul 2013
WTF? Is somehow Shinji's mother in Unit 01? Something like Ritsuko's mother in MAGI? So I guess it was his mother who went berserk to save him.
Feb 18, 2014 8:32 PM

Aug 2013
I kind of don't get what really happened but...that was amazing O___O!
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Jun 7, 2014 6:41 PM

Jun 2013
I'm....I'm speechless. Fantastic episode. Shinji almost died and seen his mother's ghost. That berserker mode or whatever you call it, holy crap! This episode was great!

P.S. First episode in 19 days that I watched, I'm definitely going to have to rewatch it from the beginning again one day. I remember mostly everything I've watched before but I'll definitely marathon it one day to experience the entire anime in a day (if not 2 days).
Jun 29, 2014 5:18 PM

Aug 2013
Yay depraved EVA berserk mode! Its pretty scary but I want to learn more about it!! Like why did the humans decide to copy Adam and what are the EVAs really?
Nov 28, 2014 3:01 PM

Jul 2014
Psychological Mind at it's best.
Dec 4, 2014 1:07 AM

Sep 2014
This episode freaked me out when I first watched it. Actually, whenever Eva 01 went cray cray I got a little scared, LOL!

Bwahaha the mindfuck begins
Dec 9, 2014 10:38 AM

Nov 2013
Rei standing up to Asuka was great c:

Pretty heavy fucking episode in the second half. Intense imagery and that Berserker mode. The ED was changed for this episode too ;o
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Dec 26, 2014 5:48 PM

Apr 2014
Character development game is strong in this.
Shinji taking initiative & being eager, Rei opening up, Misato prioritizing Shinji's life.... gahh.

Wonder what makes Evas go berserk. Pilot state of mind?
Jan 3, 2015 10:45 AM

Jan 2013
The psychological scene between the "two" Shinjis was done perfect. Couldnt be better imo, it representet realistically the psychologia of a broken human being, in case Ikari Shinji, who's mentally unstable when it comes to certain moments in the everyday life. Apparently Shinji seems to be scared of solitude, hence the "bad" thoughts that come across his mind, the fact those thoughts appear when Shinji's in his worst condition (risk of dying, loneliness, the feel of being abandoned by Misato and the others, being cold inside 001) defenitely means that exactly those thoughts are the thing Shinji hates the most.

Anyways, this episode was absolutely fantastic and it immediately made me drag NGE into my favourites. It just doesnt have the epic berserk mode of Eva, but it describes well the human nature when it comes to this time. Ritsuko was willing to sacrifice Shinji's life in order to save Eva from getting destroyed, Misato crying out loud when she saw Shinji safe and sound, Rei scolding Asuke when trash talking Shinji, and Asuka apparently having a thing for Shinji. What I wanted to see is Shinji's father reaction to all this, he's a really intriguing character. Back to berserk Eva, given the fact it went crazy mode right after Shinji's mother crossed through his mind, foreshadows something here..
Jan 28, 2015 9:59 AM

Apr 2013
they came out and said it, finally! So EVAs were based on Adam, and the reason why they can act independently is because they took a part of Adam's brain or something..

the discussion between the two Shinjis was very good. We're finally seeing more and more of the characters' backstory, their mindsets, with the Angel attacks taking a backseat to it. Love this approach!!
On a side note, I hope Shinji can rise above the expectations of others and be what he wants. Though i know it's not as easy as it sounds.
Feb 11, 2015 6:22 AM

Oct 2014
pretty good episode, getting real curious about wha the EVA's actually are
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 14, 2015 6:53 AM
Dec 2013
wow great episode 5/5 easily
very intrigued about eva's secrets

and katsuragi crying was moving
this anime is finally getting great (not just ok like before)
Feb 15, 2015 9:29 PM

Nov 2012
Man I really want to know what the hell these EVA really are.
Feb 17, 2015 4:37 AM

Oct 2013
Wow...

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Apr 29, 2015 11:27 PM
Nov 2014
Shinji was actually AWESOME in this episode lol, dat EVA berserk scene though. ( GOOOOOOOOREEEEE )

Gr8 episode, let's hope it only gets better from here.
May 21, 2015 8:33 PM

Aug 2014
Great ep. The Unit 01 scared me lmao.
May 30, 2015 12:29 PM

Jan 2013
A self reflection of Shinji by himself.
He went berserk after seeing his mother in the "shadow"
Shinji keeps smelling blood, maybe humans are connected to the EVA's, at least in more ways than we know.
Jun 22, 2015 10:18 PM

Sep 2014
The beginning of the Fall. Episode 16.

Plot-There's a definite rise and fall theme in this ep. Primarily Shinji's rise of confidence/balls. But the fall comes just as fast with the angel Leilel. Trapped with a certainty of death, Shinji's mental debate and death are halted thanks to the Berserk nature of Unit 1.

And in Misato's subplot that comes from ep 15's Adam revelation, her rise as a possible contender against Nerv grows while her friendship and attachment to Nerv and Ritsuko falls as well.

Chara-A definite Shinji ep that recounts the theme of his chara. Even when he wins, he loses. He mental struggle with the idea of moving forward was a moving part of the ep and seeing his Mother come and save him was a genuine heartwarmer. I must also say that confident Shinji was pretty funny this time around. Shame he didn't stick.

Rei gets a genuine notice for her concern for Shinji and her actual willingness to stand against Asuka in it. THere's definitely something there.

5/5. I must say that whether its Yui, Shinji, or a combination of both seeing Unit 1 go ALL OUT is awesome. BAMF right there.

PS: Reminder that it has been 14 eps since the Berserk was used. Shinji's managed to get by without and proves he might have some talent.

I go where I wanna go, even if its into Oppai.
Jul 2, 2015 11:18 PM

Dec 2011
Interesting to see Shinji lose it in the plug. And then his self-reflection, what it takes for him to keep living, and his scrambled memories...

I'll just say this: If what it takes for Shinji to keep living is to string along some happy memories, then I think that's alright. Deluding oneself into thinking that life is worth living, that piloting the Eva is worth the pain if it means you get some recognition, and a place to belong is alright by my books.
MsChii said:
[color=#00A693]
"It smells like blood." Why does it smell like blood?
There are still so many mysteries about the Eva that is yet to be answered.
[/color]

They hinted at this in the previous episode. The plug smells like blood. The plug is filled with LCL. What do you think LCL is?
Jul 11, 2015 12:32 PM

Jan 2014
Oh, so the Evas are made from the first Angel...
Shinji was pretty cool and inspiring this episode
and his Eva going berserk again was fascinating :)
The fourth child? Yay, didn't think there'd be more XD
Aug 13, 2015 7:41 PM

Aug 2015
Wow, I didn't think much of this episode at first, but it really got cool at the end! It seems like we are finally getting into interesting stuff about the Evas and where they come from. Can't wait to find out more! ★4/5
Sep 10, 2015 10:17 PM
Apr 2015
Misato keeps proving that she's best girl.
Oct 30, 2015 10:42 PM

Apr 2014
It would appear that Misato's days of being a pawn are numbered. Her desire to know of NERV's true intentions (and her disapproval of their clandestine acts in regards to them) and her dear concern for Shinji further demonstrate her good-nature and caring heart.

Rei became upset and called Asuka out on her immature behavior. She is very concerned of Shinji as well, but the fact that she essentially lost her composure relative to her "usual" self is a strong indication that she most likely does possess feelings for him. This was a way of displaying her sadness without having to explicitly display it. Of course, Asuka displayed care in her own tsundere way. That wasn't the appropriate situation to spout obnoxious remarks, but it appeared to be a way of expressing her sadness. She cannot be sad. She cannot display weakness. She must always be strong. Express pain through expressions of strength.

One places a facade over their emotions. One internalizes and conceals their emotions. One expresses their true emotions freely. It was interesting to observe how each person dealt with loss.

Shinji showed arrogance and pride this episode. His growth since the first episode has been tremendous, but in this episode he was forced to encounter his inner demons once again. I really liked the part where his inner self said that in the perspective of each person he knows, there existed a version of him that is another him but yet is also the true him and how he's afraid of them all.

Just what was that shadow of Shinji's mother though? I believe it's evident at this point that these Evas can read the emotions of their pilots, but it's very interesting how it decided to go berserk at that point. Did it appear because Shinji longed for her? But why that particular thought then? How is Yui Ikari involved in this? Gendo had been accused of murdering her? Coupled with the episode regarding Ritsuko's mother, I feel that shadow was not just simply an illusion akin to what can be found in battle shounen anime.

But following that, the way the Eva roared as it emerged soaked in blood from the Angel brought to mind the act of birth and emergence of a newborn into the world. In triumph the Eva cried as it reveled in its rebirth to the world. All of these "mother" references are definitely hinting at something.

So Evas are modified copies from Adam, fitting as in the Biblical tales Eve had been created from a part of Adam. It's also finally revealed that they possess self-awareness just as the second episode had not-so-subtly shown. However, they also appear to possess a will, and have apparently chosen to ally with the humans?
Oct 31, 2015 9:13 PM

Jun 2013
Holy shit...

So yeah, it was (quite heavily) hinted that the Evas aren't just giganto robots, but finally got confirmation that they are based on Angels, specifically #1. This got me thinking back to episode 13 with the creepy-ass simulation bodies, which were most definitely actual bodies.

In the same episode it is revealed that Ritsuko's mom's personality is embedded within Magi, and how the Eva are based upon a similar system. So going along those lines, Shinji's mom's personality is definitely in one of the Evas, most likely Shinji's. Somebody related to Asuka is in hers, I'm betting. The big question on my mind is who's in the third? o__O

Oh and I think I figured out who Rei is... at least who she's recreated from.

On another note, anyone else think the ambient noise inside the Eva cockpits is extremely ominous? That's some effective use of sound right there. I always get a bad feeling when all I hear is that low pitched drone.
-Trippwire-Oct 31, 2015 9:34 PM
Nov 5, 2015 2:29 PM

Aug 2015
Things I said DAMN to:
1. Misato's slap
2. Berserk Mode
This episode was stupid good, really enjoyed it.
Nov 6, 2015 3:12 PM

Jun 2011
ASUKA, STOP PUNCHING THAT STUPID LOCKER!!! I WANT TO PUSH YOUR BUTT INTO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Numbuh 3, you've got to get off the couch, you cannot sit in that tree house, girl you like Rainbow Monkeys so grab your little shit and then swing!

Hand tracks be tracking me to different doorways. In a maze, and I don't know what to do. Guaranteed though, Ima find the emeralds.
Nov 22, 2015 4:19 AM

Feb 2013
Amazing episode, really mind blowing.

Had no idea wth was happening during most of Shinji's dream sequence, but it was still really interesting. Seems the mother is, or was involved somehow, and Rei continues to be a mystery. Eva's were also confirmed to be made from Angels, which I kinda guessed already.

Lots of great moments and feels in this episode too. Loved the scene where Misato bitch slapped that blonde bitch after she suggested sacrificing Shinji. Also the scene where she opens the pod to find Shinji safe and just breaks down crying was very touching.

Rei Standing up to Asuka for Shinji was also nice to see. And of course Shinji's Hulk out moment was pretty epic as well.

But yeah, this series just keeps getting better and more interesting with each episode. I'm really excited to see what happens next.
Dec 4, 2015 1:38 PM

Nov 2012
Unit 01 escaping leliel was crazy,so bloody.

Evas some human/angel hybrid of sorts.

Another train motif this episode.

Edit: Just realized the scene looks like a birth and then being watered down afterword was kinda like a baptism.
VanishingKiraDec 4, 2015 1:43 PM
Dec 21, 2015 11:47 AM

Jul 2013
Yep, sighs of mental illness start showing clearly in this episode, moar mental illness please because that's what people like it so much
Dec 30, 2015 8:10 PM

Feb 2013
(rewatching again)

5/5 Eva01 busting out of that bubble... yea... totally awesome!
This is one of those episodes I can't wait to get to. Everything in this series is starting to come together. The "psychological" stuff is finally really starting.

(sucks there's no HD of this episode, so sad)
Feb 6, 2016 5:33 PM

Aug 2014
So Eva=Angel confirmed now , also it seems that Rei has connections with Shinji's mother , very interesting .
Great Episode .
Jul 17, 2016 8:29 PM

Feb 2016
That bloody roar of EVA01 was just epic O_O. The mind twisting stuff has only just begun and I love it.
So the EVAs are copies of ADAM and it looks like they possess self awareness and two of them contain the personalities of Shinji's and Asuka's mother. The question is who is in the third EVA then ? What a fantastic episode and I'm so excited for the next episodes!
Aug 15, 2016 8:13 AM

Aug 2016
Yeah i suspected from the start that Evas=Angels/hybrid. The busting out from the bubble scene was epic!
Oct 31, 2016 2:38 PM

Aug 2014
Shinji's mum has the same voice as Rei right? Oh I see where this is going...

I really want to like Asuka but her attitute is making that really difficult for me.
Nov 1, 2016 8:06 AM

Jun 2016
This episode was interesting. But there are so many things that I don't know. Evas might be against Nerv? If Shinji and Rei knew Evas' true nature, they would hate Nerv? Why not Azuka?
Jan 3, 2017 2:58 PM

Feb 2013
Another fantastic episode. What completely unique and weird angel. It sucked in Shinji and Unit 01. I'd probably freak out too. Can't blame Shinji.

I'm glad Rei stood up to Asuka. It's kinda her fault that Shinji ended up in that place. Rei even feels like its her fault too I think. She pushed him to do those actions that got him in there the first place.

I really thought Shinji was going to die or suffer some type of permanent damage. But he got out! Saved by his Eva. I don't know if it was him piloting the Eva or it was doing that by itself. Although it was really fucking badass.

So Evas are copies of the first Angel it seems or something like that. I wonder if they reverse engineered an Angel. Misato questions whether the Evas are on their side or not and after this event I'd question that too. I don't like seeing Misato cry.

Shinji's mom is related to the Angels? Shinji wouldn't like Nerv if they found out? Sercrets! So many secrets!

On the preview about the next episode. Looks like we are about to find the fourth child. Another pilot it seems. Cool.
Jan 11, 2017 6:18 PM
Jun 2016
I was so mad at Asuka in this when she was talking bad about Shinji, like he could die be quiet. I'm waiting for her to finally show her feelings to Shinji, it'll probably happen eventually
Jan 12, 2017 1:21 PM

Sep 2015
Glad Shinji's okay I guess, lucky him
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Voltlighter - Nov 29, 2007

186 by vinnywizanime »»
4 hours ago

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Voltlighter - Dec 17, 2007

811 by ToTheGyz »»
Yesterday, 6:44 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Voltlighter - Dec 9, 2007

174 by Haz_Noz »»
Apr 26, 4:22 PM

» Should i watch this ( 1 2 )

Lonely_kun - Apr 18

72 by daazexx »»
Apr 26, 3:58 AM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Voltlighter - Nov 29, 2007

202 by sailorneptunelvr »»
Apr 25, 5:13 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.