Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 18, 2009 11:25 AM
Jun 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
nice episode, captain smoker looks very strong should be interesting...
Aug 9, 2009 10:21 PM

Jun 2008
Wow, what an episode. So different from the manga and somehow so much more moving, which is rare. Wonder if Oda-sensei had a hand in writing this one, it had the feeling of canon. Roger is pimp as.
Oct 26, 2009 6:27 AM

Mar 2009
That was good liked Luffy staring at the gallows at the end. Should be an interesting fight.

Dec 12, 2009 4:28 AM

Oct 2008
Smoker's room is so smokey. XD

But he's so sweet as well towards the little girl.

"looks like my pants ate your icecream." xD

Tashigi is so formal as well, but clumsy. :3

I think later on there will be some Zoro X Tashigi argument since she reminds him of his former childhood friend.

GOLD ROGER IS LE AWESOME.
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~
Dec 15, 2009 8:36 PM

Nov 2009
Great episode, Gold Roger was pretty badass the way he smiled all the way up to his death. I hope the fight between Luffy and Captain Smoker turns out to be a good one.
Dec 17, 2009 8:08 PM

May 2008
Smoker doesnt seem to be a bad guy but an enemy of the protagonist will be a antagonist no matter how nice he is

Awesome Sig by Lailide
Jan 19, 2010 7:22 PM

Oct 2009
I'm starting to actually feel sorry for pirates. One Piece really makes you look at things in different perspectives.
May 19, 2010 4:02 PM
Apr 2008
Major major dislike on the new OP, and it runs right till episode 115 which is annoying :(

Otherwise great quality episode :)

Nov 15, 2010 11:08 PM

Jun 2009
Fucking fantastic episode. I just got this indescribable feeling during the scene of Gold Rogers' execution. Great stuff, I'm liking where this is going.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Nov 17, 2010 3:32 PM

Aug 2010
I liked this.
Feb 10, 2012 10:23 AM

Aug 2010
Awesome episode. Smoker is definitely the best.
Mar 11, 2012 6:09 PM

Jul 2011
Smoker is so Awesome! He's the Best Marine -atm-!!
May 11, 2012 6:38 AM

May 2011
Haha, very nice!
May 21, 2012 2:51 PM

Mar 2011
Great episode. This episode had such a moving atmosphere.
Aug 6, 2012 9:59 PM

Apr 2012
ohoho it was very interesting to see the actual execution after seeing it in the first opening so many times. i wonder how the fight with luffy and captain smoker will turn out like. we'll probably have to see how the rest of the gang is doing first though
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 6, 2012 10:10 PM

Oct 2011
Yes!!! FINALY we see Gold roger animated!!!!!!!!!!!! and an awsome new foe!!!
Sep 27, 2012 9:54 AM

Oct 2010
Liked it. I hope this arc gets better (and it seems it's doing well) after that episode 46. One of the things I loved is that, for once, they didn't try to villainize the antagonist. This storyline has a lot of potential in it, I hope they don't waste it. And a big lol at fanboy Luffy.

Just watched the 49th as well, by the way. So I can confirm it's getting better again, I don't know if it will reach the levels of the previous arc but if it's well-developed it can be an awesome one.
Oct 11, 2012 1:49 PM

Aug 2012
I'm just wondering how the hell did gold roger get captured so easily if he's supposed to be the greatest pirate ever. that seems pretty stupid to me, but whatever. still a good episode
Nov 28, 2012 8:04 AM

Jun 2011
anthony59237 said:
I'm just wondering how the hell did gold roger get captured so easily if he's supposed to be the greatest pirate ever. that seems pretty stupid to me, but whatever. still a good episode

same here
Duhuhu...
Dec 29, 2012 5:26 PM

Jan 2012
-Skypiea- said:
anthony59237 said:

same here

I thought the same. Hopefully they'll explain that sometime.

Smoker's powers seem odd. It's about time they threw in another person with fruity powers though(lol).

I liked the old opening better. It even still showed stuff that hasn't happened yet, so it wasn't out of date. But ah well.

Oh, and the moment I saw that blue haired girl carrying a sword, I knew who she was. Like no surprise there.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 2, 2013 5:40 PM

Jan 2012
Смоккер улетный!
Луффи вообще душка ;з
Король Роджер О/
Mar 24, 2013 12:52 PM

Jan 2013
interesting ^^
Jun 23, 2013 9:14 AM

Sep 2011
What's with the shitty new opening?
Come visit my town // I apologize in advance for my second-rate English

Join my fan club // Improve the transport network
Nov 9, 2013 3:09 AM

Apr 2013
Just finished watching this episode and I gotta say that this is one of my favourite episode. The atmosphere of the city was brilliantly done, it felt like a real place... Also, the flashback of Gold Roger's death was great.
I'm loving One Piece more and more each episode. The funny thing is how its length was one of the main reasons I didn't wanna start it, but now I'm glad it's this long.
5 main aspects I base my ratings on:
1. Did DramaEnthusiast make a thread about it?
2. Is it better than Breaking Bad?
3. Did MellowJello recommend the shit out of it?
4. Has it caused a (very entertaining) shitstorm on MAL?
5. Is it actually good?

Scratch the fifth point, it's not very relevant...
Nov 26, 2013 8:13 PM

Aug 2013
Cool, I didn't think they'd really say much about Gold Roger, good to see them doing so.
Mar 4, 2014 10:22 AM

May 2013
Epic episode. Gold Roger is so fucking badass, smiling even after his death.
Mar 21, 2014 12:08 AM

Mar 2012
And so Smoker shows up :) Awesome episode, shit's about to go down :D

Kana2Chan said:
What's with the shitty new opening?

Yea don't like this OP either :(
May 1, 2014 4:25 PM

Jan 2014
Solo-Maro said:
Oh, and the moment I saw that blue haired girl carrying a sword, I knew who she was. Like no surprise there.
-I don't know... She's supposed to be dead and I think she is dead.
FrauKoujiro said:
anthony59237 said:
same here
and here, too. Hopefully they'll explain it in the next episode.
It's probably due to pride and that kind of stuff for some reason...
Jun 5, 2014 2:32 AM

Oct 2013
Smoker seems so strong,and the op sucks :P

Dec 15, 2014 5:48 PM

Dec 2013
Finally a good episode. Gold Roger such a boss.
Also finally new OP.
Apr 3, 2015 6:45 PM

May 2014
Soooo, am I the only one that actually likes this OP?

Apr 25, 2015 3:17 PM

Nov 2011
Hypocritical said:

No. Based on its own merits I like it more than the original, but nostalgia factor pulls the first one to roughly the same level, for me.
Oct 19, 2015 6:06 PM

Apr 2015
YUME OO KAKI-- No?
Well, the new opening is okay. And this episode was very amazing!
Blacker than a moonless night, hotter and more bitter than hell itself... that is coffee.

My anime list
My manga list
Mar 6, 2016 12:07 AM

Jan 2016
Great episode, one of the best episodes so far.
That Captain Smoker guy look just like Zoro except he's a little older and 100x more buffed.

btw that new OP is trash.
Mar 20, 2016 11:24 AM

Jul 2015
anthony59237 said:

What I think is simply, he didn't care anymore xD
Jul 12, 2016 1:52 AM

Mar 2015
Yay new OP after so long, it's got a nice beat!

Lots of interesting things happening in this one, hard to believe it's such a short arc, ending at 53.
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Nov 22, 2016 1:46 PM

May 2014
Favorite episode I've watched so far, hands down. This ep alone engaged me more than all of the previous arcs put together XD

The death of Roger was intense as hell, especially the way they threw in his final words since they were not only a part of the last intro, but are basically the foundation of the whole story! Gotta wonder if the One Piece actually exists though...imagine if he was just trolling everyone bc he wanted to revolutionize the world of pirates of something?

Smoker is a cool dude...I really thought he was gonna be a pirate so I was damn surprised to learn he's a marine. He also looks like he's Zoro's dad or something.

Also the irony of Sanji wanting to tap a lady who is most probably Alvida from ep 1.
Dec 27, 2016 3:26 AM
Jul 2018
Smoker seemed to look up to Gold Roger, I wonder why he became a marine?
Feb 5, 2017 10:25 AM

Dec 2016
Loguetown is probably one of my favorite towns in all of One Piece, i dont know why, maybe I just like the charm and look of it
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Jul 22, 2017 1:52 PM

Jun 2009
TripleSRank said:
Hypocritical said:

No. Based on its own merits I like it more than the original, but nostalgia factor pulls the first one to roughly the same level, for me.

Yeah, I agree that this is the better OP. Hard to beat that "We Are" nostalgia though.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Aug 19, 2017 9:23 AM

Dec 2014
first OP was way better, more simple too
Nov 9, 2017 9:19 AM

Dec 2015
They finally got rid of that annoying intro, and the new op...hmmm, I'm not sure yet if I like it or not, but the next new op is gonna be at 116?!!? Fucking cheapskate Toei.

It would be pretty awesome if that old man lived long enough to see Luffy become the Pirate King, then he could be proud that he had a drink with two Pirate Kings before they became famous!!

I have a feeling that there's some sort of story behind Gold Roger's arrest, even the old man said that he was the best of the best, that other infamous pirates feared him. Also, he had no injuries when he was executed and didn't even try to escape, so I'm curious what exactly went on at that time...
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Dec 2, 2017 11:37 AM

Jun 2016
And we're back to One Piece's usual greatness after a couple of lackluster episodes. Captain Smoker is a wish I've had for awhile and it finally looks like it's being granted, a Navy captain who isn't pure evil and or fodder. This guy reminds me of
To expand on why I like him, despite his first appearance being rather edgy he's not a bad person. He sympathizes with pirates in a sense, he fights for his own values not any personal gain(so far at least), and he even patted a girl on the head, made a joke, gave her money for more ice cream and waved to her!
He seemed like somewhere inside him he knew that Luffy was the pirate he was looking for on their first meeting, and I wonder if it's because, alike the bartender, he saw Gold Rodger in him. What a cool detail. I imagine that Captain Smoker will gain some real respect for Luffy as we continue and maybe even fight with them against the evil guys.

On top of all this we've set up for quite a lot. I can't imagine Usopp being tricked into buying a bunch of junk will be a big deal, but Sanji pursuing the new villain and Zoro meeting a girl who's far too reminiscent of his childhood friend seem to be a much bigger deal.

I also really enjoyed the detail that Luffy didn't drink which is a pirate staple but that didn't matter because the bartender could see how genuine he was. The way they toasted milk to the honor of the eternal pirate king was pretty adorable.

Oh, and that new OP song is fantastic. It's weirdly euro beat and has a Satoshi Kon flair, like something from Paprika at points. It's not something I was expecting from a One Piece OP but it's a really pleasant surprise.(I just realized you can say OP OP1 when talking about One Piece openings).

edit: i just went over some responses about how such a great pirate such as Gold Rodger could be caught in this thread and I had a thought which may be helpful. He was clearly content with himself and everything he had done, and the confident stroll to the execution platform really shows that as well. I was under the impression that after getting everything in life under his control or so to speak he turned himself in, or at least let himself get caught.
Sep 29, 2018 12:37 PM
Dec 2014
I guess Roger let himself being killed because he achieved his dream and nobody was able to beat him.
Jan 9, 2019 11:35 PM

May 2016
That clumsy lady with the sword's definitely Zoro's childhood friend. She seems like the person to bonk her head on the stairs from time to time too. I hope that's the case because it'd be a big waste if she really did die young.

Witnessing Gold Roger starting the Golden Age of Piracy at his very last moments was awesome. Instead of fearing for death, the Man Who Had it All made everyone in the world play the world's riskiest and most adventurous game. Hope Smoker doesn't get lung cancer out of his powers kek

Jan 8, 2020 12:12 AM

Mar 2017
New OP is much worse than the first and it goes for almost 70 episodes :/

Loguetown seems cool
Dec 14, 2020 12:26 PM
Dec 2020
I think that marine guy is gonna be this arc's villain...cool plot btw
Mar 11, 2021 8:31 AM
May 2012
The new OP is kinda catchy.
Mar 13, 2021 1:57 AM

Oct 2020
It was great to know about the King of the pirates. He was really a great pirate. Captain Smoker looks like used to admire him. Maybe he is trying to keep the Grand line safe and also the treasure of King Gold Roger. The bartender was a good friend of him. I wonder what made him to let himself be executed. Sure no one was able to take him down so easy.

That girl totally looks like Kuina. She also good at sword fighting. I had doubt about Kuina's death. Probably she is alive and this is her. My doubt is getting stronger after watching this girl.
Mar 13, 2021 2:03 AM

Oct 2020
gfsdfgsdgsdfgs said:
And we're back to One Piece's usual greatness after a couple of lackluster episodes. Captain Smoker is a wish I've had for awhile and it finally looks like it's being granted, a Navy captain who isn't pure evil and or fodder. This guy reminds me of

Yeah I agree with you. Smoker and Stain looks like with the same goal here. However Stain's logic was a bit one sided. Because there were heroes who didn't had stronger quirk but tried their best to keep people safe.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » One Piece Episode 219 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Kaito__Kid - Nov 17, 2009

60 by X1ma »»
1 hour ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 1011 Discussion ( 1 2 )

AhriTheS3xyFox - Feb 19, 2022

58 by Marcos-1 »»
4 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 411 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Somebody - Aug 2, 2009

79 by gannoncannon55 »»
10 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 410 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Hayato_kun - Jul 18, 2009

76 by gannoncannon55 »»
11 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 409 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Hayato_kun - Jul 11, 2009

71 by gannoncannon55 »»
11 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.