Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
May 16, 2009 9:27 PM

Dec 2007
While this episode is decent, I found out that plot would be interesting because of fantasy and journey. Moreover, I am more interested in Guin’s story.
May 18, 2009 12:39 PM

Jun 2007
Guin Saga 1-3
Despite only just starting its run as an anime, in terms of story this series comes across as really outdated. To be fair, it's not exactly shocking when the story was first released back in 1979.

The story is full of what are now common character types: a hero who can't remember anything (Guin), a mentally strong character (Rinda), a mentally weak and all round pathetic character (Remus) and other characters that I know all too well without seeing Guin Saga. And, to make matters worse, the pacing is rushed at important times (the start) and the series has had a character do illogical things (such as helping the main character twice, for no reason whatsoever, and then dying far too slowly) just to allow the main character to win. The dialogue is also very weak, containing lines spoken by a baddie to children like, "I can't hear you!" in a manner you'd expect a child to react to an insult.

Even the boss battles have failed. Guin killed one 'tough' guard with a tap, after he'd risen from red water without explanation, and he beat the main boss without even trying. Anti-climatic to the extreme.

The music has sucked hard, also. It's all the same uninspiring rubbish over and over. I can't believe it has some of the same music for the opening. The music that played during the death of the illogical plot device (Orro) was poorly placed to the extreme - the best/worst example of the soundtrack of Guin Saga.

I'm just not feeling it, despite my love of fantasty stories. I feel so little involvement that I didn't even think why a prisoner would have 20 knives and a whip in his cell to help him escape. An intense experience it ain't. I'll give it until episode five and then drop it, scoring it 6-7 for being semi-entertaining because I like swords and sorcery RPG-esque crap.
Aug 2, 2012 10:06 AM

Sep 2008
cute monkey girl feels odd, and the exaggerations are slightly off-putting, as Wakka and noteDhero pointed out, although to the show's defence, exaggerations are not uncommon in anime *cough*FMA B*cough*
The direction is slightly lacking, especially in terms of bringing scenes together, using the right shots and music at the right time, but its not bad at all. I can see how much better the show could be with the right budget and the right guy at the helm, but this isn't bad either. In fact, I really liked these three episodes a lot.

4/5
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Aug 2, 2012 10:12 AM

Sep 2008
crazy_eights said:
did anyone else get utterly confused when the mercenary had a whip and at least twenty knives with him in his cell.

I dunno, I though maybe he was hiding the knives up his ass all along.
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Feb 22, 2013 3:38 PM

Nov 2011
Aww, Sem-chan is so fucking kawaii
May 4, 2015 1:43 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
I get the feeling that again, they had to cram a lot of content in one episode. Rushed somehow.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jan 17, 2018 8:01 AM

Feb 2015
This show has a really epic fantasy feel to it which I'm really fond of. However, the fight with that silver haired soldier was pretty anticlimactic, also wish that guy that saved them put up more of a fight before dying from a single blow.
Apr 20, 2018 6:22 AM

Jul 2008
Okay how did he defeat the one guard who killed Otto?
Aug 7, 2022 8:46 AM

Feb 2018
Rip Orro, he was a real one. Guin clapped the Black Count and also free jumped his way out. Istavan was waiting for them lul
Aug 19, 2023 7:59 PM
Aug 2016
Love the ending. This Episode was kinda caothic. I was thinking no sense at all but, as the mercernary said, he thinks he can be king, not only for the prophecy but maybe because this world changes very quickly. That would explain the attack of the other monsters to the "castle". Amazed on how he defeated the Lord and Amazed the mercenary is still there.

The grounds for a good saga have been made, with the main characters set. Lets see if they can keep it realistic.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Guin Saga Episode 15 Discussion

ShanaFlame - Jul 12, 2009

27 by abystoma2 »»
Mar 13, 5:13 AM

Poll: » Guin Saga Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

wakka9ca - Apr 12, 2009

70 by MeanEYE »»
Jan 30, 7:24 PM

Poll: » Guin Saga Episode 11 Discussion

ShanaFlame - Jun 14, 2009

17 by Adam_R »»
Sep 25, 2023 9:08 PM

Poll: » Guin Saga Episode 16 Discussion

ShanaFlame - Jul 20, 2009

32 by nhkam »»
Sep 17, 2023 8:49 PM

Poll: » Guin Saga Episode 9 Discussion

ShanaFlame - Jun 1, 2009

24 by BaronLukis »»
Aug 20, 2023 4:05 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.