Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jan 6, 2014 5:44 AM

Apr 2013
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Well that was fast. Romance already taking off.

Decent episode. Planes were kinda cool and the animation was pretty good. That levitating island though. Got some flashbacks from Kal-el's past. Seems like we have a revenge story going on. He's now part of a family that took him in. Ariel is pretty annoying already lol. Guess they're both going to learn how to fly in the school on the island. Claire for best girl. HNGHHH. Cute little date they had with that bike ride, and little water fight.

Pretty interesting so far.
Jan 6, 2014 5:53 AM

Apr 2009
Our MC really doesn't waste anytime, huh?
Jan 6, 2014 7:09 AM

Nov 2011
Felt a little fast but nonetheless a decent episode. Looking forward to more and dogfights. I did enjoy the movie after all.
Jan 6, 2014 7:35 AM

Oct 2013
I'm pleasantly surprised. I like the visuals.
Jan 6, 2014 7:47 AM

Jan 2014
This is the first show so far this season that's really jumped out and grabbed me. The flight scenes were awesome. I do agree though that the romance seems to have developed a little too quickly.

I can tell I'm going to enjoy this.
Jan 6, 2014 7:48 AM

Aug 2012
Hm, not bad for a winter anime. I liked the visuals and music.

I hope this show has good dogfights. I'm a big sucker for those.
This topic has not been locked and is still available for discussion.
Jan 6, 2014 7:53 AM

May 2013
This isn't bad at all. The main character's already met up with a girl and spending some time with her. Can't wait to watch the next episode.
Jan 6, 2014 8:01 AM

Aug 2010
Good start. Liked it quite a bit.

The visuals are nice. Nothing much about the setting so far except that Kal seems like he's got revenge on his mind. I wonder if those red eyes were anything special or just a metaphoric like scene of anger?

Kal isn't that bad. He's quick to make a move that's for sure. Well I wouldn't say I don't understand how he felt. Dat Claire <3<3<3 Too lovable and adorable. Best girl no doubt. Hnnnnghh. Why the hell isn't she in the characters list??? Don't tell me she's gonna kick the bucket early??? O_O The ED had bad vibes in it too T_T I hope not.

Well hoping for some nice Aerial action :D
Jan 6, 2014 8:07 AM

Sep 2013
I loved this show! I didn't want to give this a try because the synopsis looks a little generic and stale to me. But after realizing it contains dogfights and some pretty cool action scenes with romance involved, I immediately got hooked up.

Not sure how the rest of the MAL-ers feel, but this is definitely a great introductory episode!
-

I've always... always been watching you... This whole time... Because you were there... That's why I was able to try hard. So you could have some balance! So you wouldn't treat me like a kid! So you would see me as an actual girl! Even while you were gone... You were right here! You were right here in my heart!
Jan 6, 2014 8:15 AM

Mar 2013
The beginning was a little slow, but the romantic development was good though the guy may have taken things a little too fast. I'm looking forward to this a lot.
Jan 6, 2014 8:16 AM

Apr 2013
Barion-Zara said:

Kal isn't that bad. He's quick to make a move that's for sure. Well I wouldn't say I don't understand how he felt. Dat Claire <3<3<3 Too lovable and adorable. Best girl no doubt. Hnnnnghh. Why the hell isn't she in the characters list??? Don't tell me she's gonna kick the bucket early??? O_O The ED had bad vibes in it too T_T I hope not.

http://myanimelist.net/character/84405/Nina_Viento
Claire Cruz is her nickname apparently. Don't know why, but I'm not gonna look it up and get spoiled XD
Jan 6, 2014 8:33 AM
Mar 2013
Looks great. I'm still wondering how those huge things fly. MC makes a move already and the girl likes it xD
Story seems nice, not sure if it has supernatural. Those glowing eyes. Huge ships. Looking forward to more dogfights.
This might turn out to be my favourite for the season.
Jan 6, 2014 8:46 AM

Jul 2013
Well, that escalated pretty quickly.
Jan 6, 2014 8:52 AM

Jul 2013
The art and visuals in here are pretty astounding, pretty good start of the show. I'm looking forward to these aerial dogfights later on in the series. Though there is one thing when Kal had these red eyes with fire in his dreams, so I want some explanation on that. Wonder why that silver hair guy is gawking at Kal?

He met a girl and starting to spike things up a bit huh. Well looking forward to the next episode.

Jan 6, 2014 9:00 AM

Apr 2011
I think this one stands to the rest of shows this Winter.

Dogfights, skies, friendship, revenge, love...

It feels refreshing to watch this. It reminds me of how I like the movie, Toaru Hikuushi e no Tsuioku which is the series is spin off from.

The rush in romance, is kinda understandable since this series is only one cour. How I wish was a 2-cour show.

And just when the 1st epsiode is nearing the end, my video streams messed up. Dammit! Gonna watch this again and I'm looking forward to the next episode. Or maybe I'll wait till this series is completed and marathon it.
Jan 6, 2014 9:09 AM

Jul 2012
"Clairua Kurusu! Clairua Kurusu!"

Not bad, but a bit boring. This episode seems like it's one of those middle episodes instead of an intro. Weird seeing this kind of character (and voice actor) part of a fast romance.

At least, this isn't a WTF show this season~
Jan 6, 2014 9:16 AM

Dec 2010
Mills said:
Barion-Zara said:

Claire Cruz is her nickname apparently. Don't know why, but I'm not gonna look it up and get spoiled XD

Eeeeeeeeeh?!?!

But they don't look similar at all. Just look at the boobs!
Jan 6, 2014 9:17 AM

Jul 2013
This was a show I was looking forward to a lot this season. It didn't disappoint with the first episode.

I agree that the romance moved kind of fast, but hey, doesn't anyone believe in love at first sight?

The part where he screamed "NINA VIENTO" in his head caught me by surprise. I'm assuming thats the person who is "revenge" will be focused on.

It sucks that this show is only 1-cour. It seems like it'd do be better if it was a 2-cour show. I can't complain though. Hopefully they don't rush things too much.

I'm definitely looking forward to this next week. Mondays became just a little better for me.
Jan 6, 2014 9:22 AM

Dec 2012
WHY IS THE MC KAL-EL? HE IS NOT SUPERMAN!
Jan 6, 2014 9:29 AM

May 2012
Okay episode. Wasn't expecting him to fall in love first episode, but whatever. Still not sure how I feel yet about this. The mc got angry at that woman. Wonder why.
Jan 6, 2014 9:31 AM

Sep 2013
well damn lol, love at first sight? definitely was not expecting that
the visuals were very nice! i loved them :-) mc has some issues tho lol

looking forward to learning more about the white haired char too *_*
Jan 6, 2014 9:45 AM

May 2010
well i loved the spin-off movie and i am really enjoying the first episode of this aswell.

the visuals are very very nice in my opinion: http://i.imgur.com/07MnRGk.png (1080p CR source shot with potplayer + madvr)

in the first half of the episode i was getting strong "last exile" vibes but that changed quite abit in the second half ;)

Claire is already my favorite character and i hope we see her again :)

i dunno whats up with that guy who looks pissed all day but i dont really care for now.

5/5
Jan 6, 2014 9:46 AM

Apr 2007
who'd have thought that this would have the most promising first episode out of all the winter shows i've seen so far?
Jan 6, 2014 9:49 AM

Feb 2012
Simple that scene with "Claire Cruz, Claire Cruz" reminded me of titanic or it was done that way for that exact purpose.... Hints only royalty can come through here... yeah def has that titanic vibe to it
Jan 6, 2014 9:57 AM

May 2010
ona said:
who'd have thought that this would have the most promising first episode out of all the winter shows i've seen so far?

haha no kidding!
Jan 6, 2014 10:13 AM
Apr 2013
Shows promise, but also so many places where it can take a nose dive (bad character development or rushed/nonsensical character development being my biggest fear). I have hopes for this one!
Jan 6, 2014 10:16 AM

Aug 2010
Mills said:
Barion-Zara said:

I don't know. Like u said I don't wanna spoil myself but Nina is that white haired girl so I don't think she's the same as Claire. Well time will tell.

And is this really a 1 cour T_T Definitely has 2 cour vibes and as mentioned I can feel some Last Exile vibes too hehe. Well nice start indeed :D
Jan 6, 2014 10:22 AM

Aug 2013
It doesn't feel like a tv series. The quality IS for tv but the sound and story feel like they belong to movies. Another series to put on my watch list! Weeee!!!!
Jan 6, 2014 10:26 AM

Oct 2011
An amazing first episode. Claire was so cute XD. OMG Is that Ishikawa san as the white hair guy???
Jan 6, 2014 10:52 AM

Sep 2013
WOWOWOWOW

That was so good. Definitely most promising winter anime for me. I felt like I was watching a good movie for those 24 minutes. But it's better because it's 12 ep. ^^

The OST and animation/art quality was amazing. Romance, although it was very fast, didn't for me at least, feel rushed. The opposite, it felt pretty natural.

But best of all, a romance with no senpai or schoolgirl skirts nowhere to be seen! And an original world with floating islands and shit. yay
cupcJan 6, 2014 11:02 AM
Jan 6, 2014 11:00 AM

Jun 2013
Planes, flying fortress, Ayana Taketatsu the eternal imouto and the MC seems determined... I DIG!

Please don't screw this up.
Jan 6, 2014 11:01 AM

Nov 2013
Decent first episode.

MC-kun looks interesting and Claire is really cute. Looking forward to more ^^

Jan 6, 2014 11:11 AM

Sep 2009
I didn't like the OP. Song was to light(and I hate Yuuki Aoi's singing in general) and they put to much SoL in the video. But all other things were great. I really have high hopes for this
Jan 6, 2014 11:12 AM

Aug 2013
Ok the visuals were nice but that's it. The whole thing was pretty boring tbh. I do hope it get better.
Jan 6, 2014 11:23 AM

Jan 2012
That was nice first episode, a tad bit rushed, but it was fun. I won't poke fun as to how coincidentally MC has the same name as superman. The premise seems cool, though I'm still wondering how this and "Princess and the pilot" are related other than them being about pilots :/
I really did enjoy the movie, and I hope that this show lives up to my expectations
Jan 6, 2014 11:30 AM

Dec 2012
I agree with the general consensus that Claire is really cute. Can't wait to find out about Kal's mysterious hatred for that princess looking girl.
Jan 6, 2014 11:49 AM
Sep 2011
Simply beautiful. This episode managed to impress me on several levels:
The male protagonist received some really solid characterization, not through internal monologues (which is far too often the case in anime) but through his interactions with others and lots of little details revealing a multi-facetted personality behind the rather plain character design.

The budding romance was depicted in a very sweet and natural manner that didn't feel forced or overly cheesy and it's great to see a natural sibling-relationship for once.
The sound effects and BGM stood out in a positive way and added a lot to several scenes and the scenery composition was drop-dead gorgeous on some occasions.

Yeah, this is how you use your setting: Show, don't tell us about it as this episode successfully avoided any major infodumps to tell its story and instead dropped some subtle hints about the character's backgrounds. There is a lot of ambition behind this series and I certainly hope it will succeed in bringing all these interesting ideas together in a satisfying manner.
Jan 6, 2014 11:50 AM

Sep 2010
Is it just me or was the animation sorta bad in this?

Despite that it was a good first episode can't wait to see the fights. I have yet to see the spinoff movie, but I might after seeing this!
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
Jan 6, 2014 11:56 AM

Jul 2010
Very fast romance .I didn't see that coming , he fell in love at first sight ^^
For some reason, the MC reminds me Oz from Pandora Hearts .I guess he's good for now and Claire is so cute .
The ending's supposedly saying it'll become more of those ''dramatic'' love stories.Hope it will not.
Jan 6, 2014 11:56 AM
Mar 2013
This looks really good. Romance from the beginning, i like that. I don't like the greyhaired dude so far. I think there is something Claire Cruz is hiding. And why did Kal-El/Carl get so mad when he saw the greyhaired girl in the beginning, did she do something before the series started?
Jan 6, 2014 11:59 AM

Oct 2012
so many minor problems that it built up into a big one.
Jan 6, 2014 12:29 PM

Apr 2009
I'm all about the build up to romance soooo this felt really rushed, even taking to account that it's a one cour show. Liked Ariel, but I'm guessing her role won't get much past sibling banter. The grey haired boy and girl are still question marks. Overall a pretty meh start for me but I'll prolly watch this through since it's so short.
Jan 6, 2014 1:11 PM

Jul 2010
Wasn't bad. The romance developed a little too quickly, but it was cute. I'm interested in seeing the brother/sister relationship. That was super sweet. I hope they don't throw Ari onto the back burner.

Overall, pretty good. However, I've never been too keen on anime about pilots and stuff. Although I enjoyed Last Exile, I fell asleep waaaay too many times in that show. I hope it won't be like that.
fishergirl16Jan 6, 2014 1:17 PM
Jan 6, 2014 1:18 PM

Mar 2013
Cute episode. Even the romance went a little (too much) fast, it was pretty decent.
He fell in love in the first episode, I wasn't expecting that.
The white haired boy called my attention, can't wait to see more about him.
Jan 6, 2014 1:21 PM

Apr 2008
Eudaimonia said:
Simply beautiful. This episode managed to impress me on several levels:
The male protagonist received some really solid characterization, not through internal monologues (which is far too often the case in anime) but through his interactions with others and lots of little details revealing a multi-facetted personality behind the rather plain character design.

The budding romance was depicted in a very sweet and natural manner that didn't feel forced or overly cheesy and it's great to see a natural sibling-relationship for once.
The sound effects and BGM stood out in a positive way and added a lot to several scenes and the scenery composition was drop-dead gorgeous on some occasions.

Yeah, this is how you use your setting: Show, don't tell us about it as this episode successfully avoided any major infodumps to tell its story and instead dropped some subtle hints about the character's backgrounds. There is a lot of ambition behind this series and I certainly hope it will succeed in bringing all these interesting ideas together in a satisfying manner.

Great write up! It echoed a lot of my thoughts on the first episode and gave some good insight into quite a few elements!

For a first episode in a fantasy show, I was actually pleasantly surprised. The characterization was quite solid overall - as previously noted, the sibling relationship was portrayed fairly realistically, which is something we (sadly) rarely see in modern anime. As for the protagonist, while he came across as your typical shounen male harbouring sentiments of revenge, there was something about his demeanour and actions that made him easy to relate to.

While the physical setting wasn't really explored in detail, I felt the strong screenplay more than made up for this by showcasing the beauty of the natural landscape - succeeding in the element of visual immersion. Likewise, the show avoided the pitfall of stale infodumping (ie. via external narration or an unnatural-sounding script) by weaving in a more character-driven narrative. Simply hearing the characters exchange remarks about the floating island was more than enough to get a sense of the world around them. That said, I do hope the series will expand upon the setting in later episodes by getting more into the political situation .

My main complaint about this episode (as many others have already noted) was that what is likely to be the show's core romance felt a bit sudden - not that it was unreasonable, rather I've never been a fan of the whole "love at first sight" trope. But other than that, a very solid first episode and I'll be looking forward to seeing what direction the show goes. Hopefully it doesn't take a nosedive (hehe) due to the small episode count, adaptation decay or just poor writing.

Jan 6, 2014 1:25 PM

Oct 2011
ok there are cool airships, this is nice... but isn't that island bit of overkill? Couldn't they just do one big ship for all that stuff?

At least we don't have wait entire series for romance to develop (or triangle with that white haired stalker) but MC seems to be bland. Still that sister is fun.
Jan 6, 2014 1:35 PM

Jul 2010
I don't know, this was okay at best.. That romance part was so awkward and that line of hers: 'thanks for holding me so tight'.. Wat? I dunno, maybe I'm still done with romance after Golden Time or something, but this looked just funny LOL. Otherwise, nothing outstanding happens. Will see where this goes next.
Jan 6, 2014 1:55 PM

Nov 2011
Not the best opening episode i have seen this season...
Holy shit snacks!! Carl(NOT Kal-El!!!)l lost it for a sec. :D
I have feeling that Carl gonna get his ass kicked by that white haird guy.
Jan 6, 2014 2:08 PM

Jul 2010
Really liked the first episode. Has me intrigued, looking forward to the next episode.
Didn't appreciate it would be a romance anime though.
Jan 6, 2014 2:22 PM

Jan 2010
Show looks promising. I'm really glad everything wasn't revealed by a character monologue with 10 minutes of flashbacks.
I can't wait to learn more about this anime's universe, the backstory and the structure of the world seem to be very intriguing!
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Toaru Hikuushi e no Koiuta Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Amarrez - Mar 31, 2014

191 by Alkimia »»
Feb 23, 11:16 AM

Poll: » Toaru Hikuushi e no Koiuta Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 24, 2014

111 by Alkimia »»
Feb 23, 10:38 AM

Poll: » Toaru Hikuushi e no Koiuta Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 10, 2014

81 by Alkimia »»
Feb 22, 7:55 PM

Poll: » Toaru Hikuushi e no Koiuta Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jan 27, 2014

189 by Alkimia »»
Feb 22, 2:03 PM

» Is it one big love triangle?

Gamewolf - Mar 23, 2014

12 by ZGUEGCHOV »»
Feb 25, 2022 1:23 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.