Forum Settings
Forums

Have you ever been beaten up or bullied in real life for liking anime?

New
Dec 23, 2013 1:38 PM
Jul 2013
No shame in admitting it. Have you ever had such an experience? At one point I was reading a light novel when walking home in 2008 and had a jock come up to me, and the following events that ensued led my life to being as it is now.

If you have had any such incident, do discuss. Of course most people are shy about anime in public, but there's also a great deal of people who do not care about the opinions of others and openly express their interests.

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Dec 23, 2013 1:42 PM

Jan 2010
DramaEnthusiast said:
At one point I was reading a light novel when walking home in 2008 and had a jock come up to me, and the following events that ensued led my life to being as it is now.

Well now.

Um, anyways, I only truly got into anime between my senior year of high school and my first year in college, so by that point, no one really cared anymore about anyone else's hobbies anymore.
Dec 23, 2013 1:46 PM

Aug 2011

Nope, but many of my friends don't have a clue about Anime or even what it is.
So, when I discuss an Anime episode with my other friends who watch Anime, they ask us what you're talking about and I just answer, "some cartoons". I'm not ashamed of the fact that I watch Anime, it's just I don't feel like explaining what Anime is, because I believe it's something you have to discover yourself.
-ZeaosDec 23, 2013 1:49 PM
Smiles and laughter are always good, but never forget your Poker Face.~
Dec 23, 2013 1:48 PM

Mar 2012
Not really, but something like that almost happened when I was reading the Three Musketeers. Fights ensue and then people leave you alone.
Dec 23, 2013 1:53 PM

Nov 2013
Nope. I don't even go to public school. Plus I barely talk to many people in my family.
stupidfucker said:
Screw you, 'moshimoshikitty', you fucked up my thread.

Dec 23, 2013 1:59 PM
Apr 2013
Nope, though I'm very open about my interests to everyone, so I'm lucky to have never encountered much flak for liking anime. Cosplay & figure collecting on the other hand...
Dec 23, 2013 2:00 PM

Jan 2013
Mr7Beans said:
No.
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Dec 23, 2013 2:00 PM

Jun 2012
Did you get beat up specifically for reading a LN or just because you were an easy target?
Dec 23, 2013 2:01 PM
Jul 2013
Riiken said:
Did you get beat up specifically for reading a LN or just because you were an easy target?

Both.
Dec 23, 2013 2:04 PM

Jun 2012
DramaEnthusiast said:
Riiken said:

Both.
DramaEnthusiast said:
Riiken said:

Both.

Ugh, well that's harsh. Me and my friends got beat up once after buying some games. And I remember one of my friends saying "always picking on the gamers" and I thought that was bullshit because it was simply because we were timid easy targets. One of those defining moments in my life, felt so disgusted not fighting back that day. Haven't walked away from a fight since and I've been better for it.

Just knowing lowlifes like that exist make me feel better though.
Dec 23, 2013 2:10 PM

Aug 2010
No. Then again, I've only watched pokemon and DBZ back in high school.
Dec 23, 2013 2:14 PM

Dec 2012
No. A lot of my classmates in highschool watched although they didn't know it was anime, it was just cartoon to them.

Right now in college, I know a lot of people who watch Naruto, they even watch it inside the lecture hall and other people either watch because they are curious or they don't give a shit. But then again there is no much bullying in my country in general.
Dec 23, 2013 2:15 PM

Sep 2012
Nerp
☕ Truth be told, I'm quite proud of my house blend. To attain my flavor and fragrance, I use five different types of coffee beans. ☕
Dec 23, 2013 2:16 PM

Dec 2012
Riiken said:

Ugh, well that's harsh. Me and my friends got beat up once after buying some games. And I remember one of my friends saying "always picking on the gamers" and I thought that was bullshit because it was simply because we were timid easy targets. One of those defining moments in my life, felt so disgusted not fighting back that day. Haven't walked away from a fight since and I've been better for it.

Just knowing lowlifes like that exist make me feel better though.

Although I certainly believe there's people out there who will pick on others due to their interests, I usually notice it boils down to whether or not the individual is an easy target and then the activity is just the excuse to initiate drama. Someone who's built like a tank and real easy to get along with that's open about his hobbies is usually going to be left alone whereas some fat guy who stutters when a girl asks him what time it is will be easy hunting.

It all comes down to confidence and how you present who you are and your hobbies. People respect confidence, even if they don't like your hobbies or who you are.
Dec 23, 2013 2:17 PM

Apr 2013
I have not.
I feel like if I don't care about other people's opinions, they wouldn't care about mine.
"But ur a retard."
~Akito_Kinomoto
Dec 23, 2013 2:23 PM
Mar 2013
No, they don't give a shit about my Chinese cartoons, and I don't give a shit about their Jersey Shores.
Dec 23, 2013 2:27 PM

Jan 2012
i'd love to see someone try and bully me or try to beat me up for watching anime....

not implying i would win i am not a fighter but i aint ashamed of what i do in my spare time and its one of those situations where you just need to stand up and be counted, if you shy away and look scared they have you! usually people like that don't expect someone to turn round and say something back!
Dec 23, 2013 2:29 PM

Apr 2013
I have been crucified for liking anime
an egomaniac and a fool

Dec 23, 2013 2:31 PM
Apr 2013
Emnay said:

So thaaat's why Jesus died.
Dec 23, 2013 2:32 PM

Nov 2012
Nope.
Dec 23, 2013 2:46 PM

Feb 2013
Nah I've gotten made fun of more so for either my race or listening to music that's not in English.
Dec 23, 2013 3:00 PM

Nov 2013
The fuck? There are things I've been beaten up for, ie; my last name, my family, for standing up for someone, for the look on my face and for generally just being different, but not for liking anime. I guess it's just common to watch anime where I live.
[center][size=85][b]MAL Interviews[/size] | [/size][size=85][b]MAL's Chatting Corner | [size=85][color=darkviolet]If you wear Caesar's clothes, you have to behave like Caesar.[/color][/size][/b]
Dec 23, 2013 3:04 PM

Jan 2013
Nope it's just a hobby of mine so no one really bullies me for something that is my interest.
Dec 23, 2013 3:11 PM

Dec 2009
Never.
Dec 23, 2013 3:13 PM

Aug 2009
I didn't have money to buy anime-related stuff so only the people I talked to knew about me liking anime. And I don't think there were any bullies in my school.
Dec 23, 2013 3:20 PM

Sep 2013
I wasn't bullied per se but a year ago my one friend bitched at me for talking anime and kpop even though I was talking about it with our friends who also liked anime and kpop. She was having a completely different conversation on the other side of the room with someone so its not like she was excluded and being forced to listen. Needless to say we don't talk as much anymore.
Dec 23, 2013 3:23 PM
Aug 2013
MrsKotobuki said:
Emnay said:

So thaaat's why Jesus died.

lolololololol
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 23, 2013 3:32 PM

Sep 2012
This thread again?
Nobody will pick on you for liking anime, stop using it as an excuse for not having proper social skills.
Dec 23, 2013 3:33 PM
Dec 2013
No I'm the one that does the beatings and picking
Dec 23, 2013 3:50 PM

Aug 2009
Aqua_Mars said:
This thread again?
Nobody will pick on you for liking anime, stop using it as an excuse for not having proper social skills.

I guess in high school there are people who would? Even I feel awkward when I see guys with chibi Hatsune Miku bags. People have been bullied for more subtle reasons.
Dec 23, 2013 3:53 PM

Sep 2012
monalizy said:
Aqua_Mars said:
This thread again?

I guess in high school there are people who would? Even I feel awkward when I see guys with chibi Hatsune Miku bags. People have been bullied for more subtle reasons.
If you're walking around with chibi hatsune miku bags then I'm pretty sure that still counts as not having proper social skills.
☕ Truth be told, I'm quite proud of my house blend. To attain my flavor and fragrance, I use five different types of coffee beans. ☕
Dec 23, 2013 3:53 PM

Aug 2013
Anime, games and all that jazz are just excuses they try to discover in order to go after you. The matter is that they consider you easy targets to throw their hate upon.

I advise you to go to the nearest gym, train a lot and beatem up back. It always work, i guarantee
Dec 23, 2013 3:58 PM

Nov 2013
Aqua_Mars said:
This thread again?

Are you seriously going to sit here and deny any possibility of someone getting beat up for liking anime when it in fact does happen regardless of rarity?
stupidfucker said:

Dec 23, 2013 4:01 PM

Feb 2010
I beat myself up constantly for having such a disgusting hobby.
I probably regret this post by now.
Dec 23, 2013 4:10 PM
Apr 2013
moshimoshikitty said:
Aqua_Mars said:
This thread again?

Are you seriously going to sit here and deny any possibility of someone getting beat up for liking anime when it in fact does happen regardless of rarity?

You know, the main reason he said that because this thread is made by the Drama chap in the OP. Assuming that you don't know what he had done before, he is notorious in MAL for being someone who doesn't listen to other people advices or in more simpler terms, a known troll. Actually, he created the nearly same exact thread before but most probably he forgot about it.
Dec 23, 2013 4:14 PM

Jun 2012
Korrvo said:
monalizy said:
Aqua_Mars said:
This thread again?

If you're walking around with chibi hatsune miku bags then I'm pretty sure that still counts as not having proper social skills.

But what about an awesome Team Gurren bag?
Dec 23, 2013 4:14 PM

Nov 2013
worldeditor11 said:
moshimoshikitty said:
Aqua_Mars said:
This thread again?

You know, the main reason he said that because this thread is made by the Drama chap in the OP. Assuming that you don't know what he had done before, he is notorious in MAL for being someone who doesn't listen to other people advices or in more simpler terms, a known troll. Actually, he created the nearly same exact thread before but most probably he forgot about it.

Ugh...annoying.
stupidfucker said:

Dec 23, 2013 4:44 PM

Aug 2012
Did you got beaten up at school again, Drama?
Dec 23, 2013 4:44 PM
Jul 2018
No but one of my class mates seems to think Anime and hentai are exactly the same. Makes things really funny sometimes.
Dec 23, 2013 5:27 PM
Jan 2013
Aha... haha... hahahahaha.

Nope.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 23, 2013 5:34 PM

Jan 2013
Nope. I'm pretty open about it. Though, I've been nicknamed "Hatsune Miku" for some reason.
Dec 23, 2013 5:38 PM

Sep 2011
I was bullied in middle school, i ran into the guy who did it to me recently and both of us have grown alot in terms of maturity, he apologized as well as i since i did provoke alot of it then we moved the fuck on with our lives

edit: i missed the over anime part, no i never have
JizzyHitlerDec 23, 2013 6:28 PM

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Dec 23, 2013 5:53 PM

Nov 2013
Well back in school I only watched shows like Dragonball Z, but just about everyone did, even the jocks.

I only started to expand my tastes in anime as an adult, and people don't tend to beat you up for shit like that in uni and in the office.
Dec 23, 2013 6:11 PM

Jan 2013
LOL. OP is a huge beta.
Dubs>subs.
Breaking Bad>Anime
Comic books>manga
99% of Anime is Garbage
Dec 23, 2013 6:13 PM

Dec 2012
MajinSaga said:
LOL. OP is a huge beta.

That's a must if you ever hope to acquire a harem.
Dec 23, 2013 6:15 PM

May 2012
No. Anime is accepted where I am from, although it will be harder to get it in with teh ladies.
Dec 23, 2013 6:18 PM

Nov 2011
Never, and OP, they don't bully you because you like anime, they bully you because you're weak and lack of character.
I luv u
Dec 23, 2013 6:20 PM

Jul 2007
Jaguer91 said:
Never, and OP, they don't bully you because you like anime, they bully you because you're weak and lack of character.

This.
Dec 23, 2013 6:32 PM

Aug 2013
I make anime cool, man who even gets bullied for that these days :/
Dec 23, 2013 6:33 PM
Jul 2011
I went to a all boys high school so probably, but I wasnt hiding it or anything so I didnt care or feel embarrassed.Also I was surrounded by people who sort of watch little bits of anime here and there so they weren't haters or anything.

Sometimes even my animation tutors expressed their hate for the anime style,which I brushed off because I see their point how japanese animation takes alot of shortcuts etc compared to america/other countries.
But at the same time Anime isnt just one style.
They may have been talking about the generic anime style but anime can be anything really.

hell even my art teacher said not to draw it haha.

I don't take offense or take it to heart because I know alot of anime is terrible,and even when someone says they hate an anime I like its probably because they havent watched it, or got to ep 2 and dropped,have different tastes,or are just being someone trying to start a fight (which you may have to just shake off)

A guy once just came up to me and said "subs are dumb"
What I did : .... Nothing
What I thought: (dubs are just cut up versions of the original with less variety in voice acting)

I had an opinion but didnt rub it in his face because its not true for every anime,some dubs are good.

I'm rambling btw :D

Someone saying anime is bad is pretty funny
Its like saying anything animated by a japanese person is bad XD
Though what they probably mean is the style is bad,or they assume naruto is the only anime and DBZ isnt an anime to them.

My ramble. thanks for uh reading ?

I shall leave you with this face

._.
chinnaruDec 23, 2013 6:43 PM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » do you want more emotional or more intelligent anime?

deg - 13 minutes ago

4 by Spunkert »»
2 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

229 by JessicaKari »»
2 minutes ago

» What's your most controversial anime among your favorites? ( 1 2 3 )

Kushna - Apr 5

105 by YeeYeeAss »»
11 minutes ago

Poll: » whats the severity of social stigma for anime and its fans now a days?

deg - 55 minutes ago

4 by Otakupervert890 »»
23 minutes ago

» have you guys watched texhnolyze?

brainburger - Apr 21

37 by vampirismsxc »»
26 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.