Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (14) « First ... « 8 9 [10] 11 12 » ... Last »
Jun 3, 2013 8:51 PM

Mar 2012
katsucats said:

When you see people spraying down mosquitoes to prevent West Nile disease and malaria, you scream, "Damn rascists!!! How dare they justify genocide just because they're animals!"

Are mosquitoes sentient beings? No, they aren't.

The Hideauze are, apparently, as sentient as humans. In fact, they are evolved humans. If I went around slaughtering black people because they look different than me and I find them to be disgusting, I would be called a racist and I would be committing genocide.
Let's go bowling.
Jun 3, 2013 9:03 PM

Mar 2011
Fai said:

Darklight0303 said:
Edefrem said:
Don't worry they said...
This will be a healing anime they said...

The man said the same about Madoka. We know how that turned out now don't we?

And about Saya no Uta.
And Fate Zero was supposedly his try to "break away from depression"(over this though he had an emotional breakdown down the line when he realized that he psychologically lost the ability to write anything happy).
LOLwhut? Now I know to brace myself for any show that has "Gen Urobuchi" mentioned somewhere.
Jun 3, 2013 9:18 PM

Jan 2013
CAN YOU GUYS PLEASE STOP COMPARING THIS PLOT TWIST TO OTHER ANIME'S PLOT TWISTS?! At least use fucking spoiler tags. I don't care if you aren't specifying the plot twist, you are giving a big enough hint. Dicks.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 3, 2013 9:24 PM

May 2010
So that is the truth about Hideauze and also the time when the Galatic Alliance leaves Earth
Jun 3, 2013 9:40 PM

Apr 2008
StopDropAndBowl said:
katsucats said:

When you see people spraying down mosquitoes to prevent West Nile disease and malaria, you scream, "Damn rascists!!! How dare they justify genocide just because they're animals!"

The Hideauze are, apparently, as sentient as humans. In fact, they are evolved humans. If I went around slaughtering black people because they look different than me and I find them to be disgusting, I would be called a racist and I would be committing genocide.

They're not anymore. They don't talk. They bite and eat. They stopped being human ages ago.
Jun 3, 2013 10:03 PM

Mar 2013
Scuffykiwi you seem knowledgeable enough, mind answering my question from earlier? It's about halfway through the last page.

Also: Lol at StopDropandBowl for inadvertently admitting that he wants to genocide black people but can't because of negative social stigmas. First-world problems.
StickyWizardJun 3, 2013 10:08 PM
"In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
- Douglas Adams

"...but all these feels that are currently assaulting me don't seem to care. Conversely, I'm also aggressively erect at the moment..."
Jun 3, 2013 10:04 PM

Jan 2013
That plot twist...
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Jun 3, 2013 10:29 PM

Oct 2012
StopDropAndBowl said:
katsucats said:

First, as another user mentioned, the Hideauze aren't any more sentient than fish from what we can tell. Second, it doesn't matter if they are sentient, they are hostile. If all black people unanimously attacked anything in sight, then you would be justified in annihilating them at the roots. Unfortunately your analogy doesn't really work, does it?

More immediately, and on a higher order, what is the relevance of sentience, exactly? The definition of sentience notwithstanding, does it somehow fit into your world view that annihilation of a non-sentient species is justifiable, but annihilation of a sentient species become racist? So where is this cut off point in intelligence between where you can just kill a being without batting an eyelash, and where killing one makes you a murderer?

Magpies and dolphins are self-aware, does killing one make you a murderer?

I charge that your moral prescriptions aren't very consistent, and that you really just have no clue what racism even is. It makes no difference whether Hideauze are evolved human beings or evolved mosquitoes. As long as we accept the narrative that they are a threat to the human race, then that is all the justification a human being needs to eliminate them.

By the way: OMG Killer squid is actually a human child!!1111 Cheap manipulation. It's like expecting us to get shocked at the sight of a starving African child. It seems like this is working for a lot of you... but hey, different strokes for different folks...
katsucatsJun 3, 2013 10:39 PM
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Jun 3, 2013 10:42 PM

Sep 2011
Pusswookie said:
Scuffykiwi you seem knowledgeable enough, mind answering my question from earlier? It's about halfway through the last page.

Also: Lol at StopDropandBowl for inadvertently admitting that he wants to genocide black people but can't because of negative social stigmas. First-world problems.

Is it the question about appearing to have different forms? Well there is an answer to that. The development on an embryo depends ALOT on the conditions within the womb, hence the health conditions that can appear due to abuse during pregnancy. Also by switching on and off just a few genes during development you can DRAMATICALLY change the final form. For instance, it only takes a knockout of one gene in fruit flys to make legs grow out where their wings are.

My guess is that if you wanted to do this to the human population there would be 2 steps. First applying symbiosis with the squid form on adults which could be reversable, then secondly using changes during embryo development for a more dramatic and permanent effect.
Jun 3, 2013 10:50 PM
Jul 2012
Some evidence for the whalesquids (and Hideauze ) not being sentient/intelligent
1) Being squid/solar panel cyborg(?) hybrids, they don't need tools (and the intelligence that goes along with that) to survive, so there's no selection pressure or them to be (not to say that unneeded traits are always selected out)
2) 11min50sec into Ep9, Pinion's brother's mech is still there (even most animals would throw that out of their nest)
3) Basically living in a cave like animals, instinctually attacking intruders
4) No sign of doing anything besides feeding, breeding, and attacking
Jun 3, 2013 11:10 PM

May 2013
what a twist.
hideauze was human. oh ledo, your whole life is a lie

chamber said they can't go back to galactic alliance. so what will ledo do next?
Jun 3, 2013 11:28 PM

Nov 2007
So this is where Urobuchi used his instinct to kill. Nice healing anime. ROFL.

If you guys need healing anime, watch ARIA, Natsume or Tamayura.
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Jun 3, 2013 11:57 PM

Dec 2012
Damn that was one big revelation right there x.x
Jun 4, 2013 12:00 AM

Mar 2013
scruffykiwi said:
Pusswookie said:

Is it the question about appearing to have different forms? Well there is an answer to that. The development on an embryo depends ALOT on the conditions within the womb, hence the health conditions that can appear due to abuse during pregnancy. Also by switching on and off just a few genes during development you can DRAMATICALLY change the final form. For instance, it only takes a knockout of one gene in fruit flys to make legs grow out where their wings are.

My guess is that if you wanted to do this to the human population there would be 2 steps. First applying symbiosis with the squid form on adults which could be reversable, then secondly using changes during embryo development for a more dramatic and permanent effect.

Though that didn't really answer my question(s), it was along the same vein, so I'll just ask you to elaborate.
Are you saying that the cute one is an abnormality and might be the result of it's cephaloparents dropping acid during the pregnancy or spousal abuse? I doubt that's true, because it seems like they all start out looking vaguely human, and then gradually(?) turn in to rave party monsters. What I'm asking is, how in the growth process do they get from the humanoid kawaii squid to Mama mollusk with the Sarlacc mouth?
Do they just accrue more and more squid parts [as they mature] until they no longer look human, but in fact it's just an organic shell that's genetically melded to the wearer? Actually, let me try and word this in a less confusing way: is there the semblance of a human at the center of every hideauze, encased in and melded to squid flesh, or have they done away with human similarities almost altogether and are now an entirely separate life form? Probably the latter, though that still doesn't explain how they make such a drastic metamorphosis from humanoid child to Obviously a Squid and Nothing Else adults.

Speaking of, weren't they originally meant to be able to shed their cephalopodic exterior post space flight, or was the complete lack of opposable thumbs and other such nifty bits a design oversight?
StickyWizardJun 4, 2013 12:17 AM
"In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
- Douglas Adams

"...but all these feels that are currently assaulting me don't seem to care. Conversely, I'm also aggressively erect at the moment..."
Jun 4, 2013 12:13 AM
Jul 2018

WHAT THE -- The Hideauze were human invention, and created to be a spaceship. Unexpected and great twist.
Jun 4, 2013 2:00 AM
Dec 2011
For all the people who says "it isn't scientifically plausible". It seems to me the anime lays down the explanation in a pretty simple way:

1. Evolvers create symbiont squid-like creatures
2. Evolvers modify the human genome so that it can become more compatible with the metabolism/life cycle of the symbionts
3. Evolvers strive at creating 'a new organism' which actually the merging of the two symbiotic organisms - the human and the squid-like thingy. Such a symbiosis could be automatically triggered at birth, or even exist before that. For anyone who thinks this to be outlandish - we already live all our life long in symbiosis with organisms that we depend upon for our survival, those would be the bacteria in our bowels. Also, there are things called "mitocondria" that now exist in every cell of almost every living organism that I know of, and that are strongly suspected to have once been independent organisms (most likely bacteria themselves) which started living in symbiosis with other cells and ended up being absorbed and integrated in their own life cycle. The more you know.

And most importantly:

4. Evolvers call themselves like this because they appeal to the 'concept' of evolution, not the actual Darwinian natural selection process. They think that they have to 'imitate' and improve nature's evolutionary process in order to survive - sort of like an airplane can draw inspiration from a bird, but is not quite the same thing.

Said this, I don't think Gargantia has done a bad job with this plot twist, considering that it's somewhere in between "soft" and "hard" science fiction. It's nothing less plausible than wormholes - for those who don't know their physics, functioning wormholes are impossible too at the current state of our knowledge, since they would collapse as soon as something having mass tries to pass through them. And I'm talking about ABSOLUTE THEORETICAL IMPOSSIBILITY here. The only way to stabilize them would be with (for now assumed non-existent) exotic (negative mass) matter, and if we had that, we'd have also the Alcubierre drive for FTL travel. Said this, I am ok with these limitations. This isn't freaking Planetes (which was as realistic as it gets), it's a show with a mecha. The very idea that the most functional form for space combat could be the humanoid one is the most ludicrous of the bunch. Suspension of disbelief isn't broken by this kind of things for me.

One more thing. You should tailor your expectations of realism to the setting. I am a Physics PhD and I had no problem with QB's thermodynamics as they appeared in a series which had the word 'magic' twice in the freaking title alone. Suisei no Gargantia is clearly a not especially hard sci-fi series. Gradual human genetic modification is plausible in this context. I'd have been enraged if they had come up with a potion that upon being drank turned a human into a Hideauze in the space of a few seconds. Or, you know,

(Attack on Titan latest episode)
Jun 4, 2013 2:04 AM

Apr 2008
Gan_HOPE326 said:
For all the people who says "it isn't scientifically plausible". It seems to me the anime lays down the explanation in a pretty simple way:

1. Evolvers create symbiont squid-like creatures
2. Evolvers modify the human genome so that it can become more compatible with the metabolism/life cycle of the symbionts
3. Evolvers strive at creating 'a new organism' which actually the merging of the two symbiotic organisms - the human and the squid-like thingy. Such a symbiosis could be automatically triggered at birth, or even exist before that. For anyone who thinks this to be outlandish - we already live all our life long in symbiosis with organisms that we depend upon for our survival, those would be the bacteria in our bowels. Also, there are things called "mitocondria" that now exist in every cell of almost every living organism that I know of, and that are strongly suspected to have once been independent organisms (most likely bacteria themselves) which started living in symbiosis with other cells and ended up being absorbed and integrated in their own life cycle. The more you know.

And most importantly:

4. Evolvers call themselves like this because they appeal to the 'concept' of evolution, not the actual Darwinian natural selection process. They think that they have to 'imitate' and improve nature's evolutionary process in order to survive - sort of like an airplane can draw inspiration from a bird, but is not quite the same thing.

Said this, I don't think Gargantia has done a bad job with this plot twist, considering that it's somewhere in between "soft" and "hard" science fiction. It's nothing less plausible than wormholes - for those who don't know their physics, functioning wormholes are impossible too at the current state of our knowledge, since they would collapse as soon as something having mass tries to pass through them. And I'm talking about ABSOLUTE THEORETICAL IMPOSSIBILITY here. The only way to stabilize them would be with (for now assumed non-existent) exotic (negative mass) matter, and if we had that, we'd have also the Alcubierre drive for FTL travel. Said this, I am ok with these limitations. This isn't freaking Planetes (which was as realistic as it gets), it's a show with a mecha. The very idea that the most functional form for space combat could be the humanoid one is the most ludicrous of the bunch. Suspension of disbelief isn't broken by this kind of things for me.

One more thing. You should tailor your expectations of realism to the setting. I am a Physics PhD and I had no problem with QB's thermodynamics as they appeared in a series which had the word 'magic' twice in the freaking title alone. Suisei no Gargantia is clearly a not especially hard sci-fi series. Gradual human genetic modification is plausible in this context. I'd have been enraged if they had come up with a potion that upon being drank turned a human into a Hideauze in the space of a few seconds. Or, you know,

(Attack on Titan latest episode)

Except you're wrong about that. Just wait until Hanji starts explaining about Titans. The fact that they evaporate and so does their blood is already a huge clue to the nature of their mass and overall physiology.
Jun 4, 2013 2:11 AM

Jul 2007
Darklight0303 said:
StopDropAndBowl said:
katsucats said:

They're not anymore. They don't talk. They bite and eat. They stopped being human ages ago.

That's an assumption you don't know to be true.

I am pretty sure no one in alliance would ever try to talk to them and they might not need external communication to communicate with each other.

Not to mention that EVEN IF the present hideauze would be non-sentient, what was done would still be genocide since it started when they were sentient. .
Jun 4, 2013 2:12 AM

Jan 2011
Damn it, I must get that OST when it gets released. It has some really awesome tracks and it reminds me of Freelancer somehow. When Ledo faced the Squid mother I really felt I felt nostalgic somehow. I need to install Freelancer again, lol.
Jun 4, 2013 2:14 AM

Mar 2012
Pusswookie said:

lolwut?
StopDropAndBowlJun 4, 2013 2:21 AM
Let's go bowling.
Jun 4, 2013 2:21 AM

Apr 2008
AlexGK said:
Damn it, I must get that OST when it gets released. It has some really awesome tracks and it reminds me of Freelancer somehow. When Ledo faced the Squid mother I really felt I felt nostalgic somehow. I need to install Freelancer again, lol.

Freelancer was the last really good and truly open world space sim. It's why people even to this day still make mods for it.
Jun 4, 2013 2:26 AM

Apr 2008
Fai said:
Darklight0303 said:
StopDropAndBowl said:
katsucats said:

That's an assumption you don't know to be true.

I am pretty sure no one in alliance would ever try to talk to them and they might not need external communication to communicate with each other.

Not to mention that EVEN IF the present hideauze would be non-sentient, what was done would still be genocide since it started when they were sentient. .

And since then the Hideauze have started being the dominant force with CU unable to do a damn thing to stop their expansion. Hideauze are no poor abused victims just as much as the CU aren't. They were adapted to live in space. They didn't HAVE to steal from the CU. They with their precious new race could have colonized any other planet in the solar system but instead they got all "OH NO YOU DON'T" at the CU and wanted to steal it. When it comes to space survival the Hideauze had it best and the most options. CU was gonna leave and never come back hence why destroy the gate. You're telling me those amazing geniuses wouldn't be able to use the pieces of the destroyed gate to make their own eventually? No they wanted the easy way out and after that they continued to hunt the CU instead of going into teritory where the CU didn't go to. There is no Coexistance in the vocabulary of Hideauze either. Stop trying to make either side look like the good guys. They are both bad but the lesser evil once you weigh everything IS the CU.
Jun 4, 2013 2:32 AM

Mar 2012
katsucats said:
First, as another user mentioned, the Hideauze aren't any more sentient than fish from what we can tell. Second, it doesn't matter if they are sentient, they are hostile. If all black people unanimously attacked anything in sight, then you would be justified in annihilating them at the roots. Unfortunately your analogy doesn't really work, does it?

You know, one of them giving a war speech was a pretty big tip-off that they are sentient...

Further, they are only hostile because humans have been trying to wipe them out. They do not attack on sight. They only killed Pinion's brother AFTER he went into their nest, specifically their breeding area. This is entirely understandable given the nature of their interactions with humans.

More immediately, and on a higher order, what is the relevance of sentience, exactly? The definition of sentience notwithstanding, does it somehow fit into your world view that annihilation of a non-sentient species is justifiable, but annihilation of a sentient species become racist? So where is this cut off point in intelligence between where you can just kill a being without batting an eyelash, and where killing one makes you a murderer?

It is generally considered that personhood is defined by sentience, or at least, the level of sentience that we humans possess. Hence, the annihilation of sentient creatures would be widely considered to be murder. Slaughtering animals for no other reason than I don't like animals would also widely be considered to be unjustified, but not murder. If I went around killing every dog I saw because one dog mauled and killed my brother, I would be arrested and charged, possibly imprisoned; but not charged with murder. This is because we accept that dogs are more sentient than house-flies, but less so than humans. This is also entirely neglecting the notion of a soul. Even on a scientific level, we can make a distinction between human sentience and animal sentience.

I charge that your moral prescriptions aren't very consistent, and that you really just have no clue what racism even is. It makes no difference whether Hideauze are evolved human beings or evolved mosquitoes. As long as we accept the narrative that they are a threat to the human race, then that is all the justification a human being needs to eliminate them.

They are not a threat to the human race, and further this entire paragraph is a non-sequitor. You start off by making the statement that I have no clue what racism is and that my beliefs are inconsistent, then move on to a conclusion that whether they are sentient or not is irrelevant. The conclusion does not follow the premise. And neither has justification. North Koreans present a threat to South Koreans, but if South Korea/America suddenly nuked every square inch of North Korea, this would be widely condemned. Further, if you actually watch the show, the Hideauze show no signs of being a threat to the human race beyond being able to win a war of annihilation against them if provoked. They live in relative peace with the people of Earth.

By the way: OMG Killer squid is actually a human child!!1111 Cheap manipulation. It's like expecting us to get shocked at the sight of a starving African child. It seems like this is working for a lot of you... but hey, different strokes for different folks...

Uh... most people are shocked at the sight of a starving child....
Let's go bowling.
Jun 4, 2013 3:29 AM
Dec 2011
Darklight0303 said:

Except you're wrong about that. Just wait until Hanji starts explaining about Titans. The fact that they evaporate and so does their blood is already a huge clue to the nature of their mass and overall physiology.

Oh, nice. I was already suspecting something like that really... well, it's still fantasy, but is nice to know that at least something like 'Magic A is Magic A' is in action. I won't speculate further because this is not a Titan thread, but I do have a few ideas with regards to it (for comparison, check out an old sci-fi movie called "Forbidden Planet". I think the twist about the Titans will be the same that you get in that movie about the creatures that exterminated the planet's original inhabitants, or something in that line).
Jun 4, 2013 3:44 AM

Jul 2007
Darklight0303 said:

And since then the Hideauze have started being the dominant force with CU unable to do a damn thing to stop their expansion. Hideauze are no poor abused victims just as much as the CU aren't. They were adapted to live in space. They didn't HAVE to steal from the CU. They with their precious new race could have colonized any other planet in the solar system but instead they got all "OH NO YOU DON'T" at the CU and wanted to steal it. When it comes to space survival the Hideauze had it best and the most options. CU was gonna leave and never come back hence why destroy the gate. You're telling me those amazing geniuses wouldn't be able to use the pieces of the destroyed gate to make their own eventually? No they wanted the easy way out and after that they continued to hunt the CU instead of going into teritory where the CU didn't go to. There is no Coexistance in the vocabulary of Hideauze either. Stop trying to make either side look like the good guys. They are both bad but the lesser evil once you weigh everything IS the CU.

Okay ignoring half the shit you said that was not in the episode(the first sentence being pure bullshit constructed in same way homophobes construct their arguments against sexual equality), I already answered on WHY they had to catch a ride on the wormhole gate.

Your argument would be VERY sound if Alliance was not a bunch of genocidal "HUMAN PURITY FUCK YEA" nazi freaks who had a hard-on towards destroying all sentient creatures who did not have silver hair and purple eyes.

Alliance using wormhole gate would give them A HEAD START.

YOU DO KNOW that reaching the closest habitable planet without wormhole travel would take around 200 000 years, right?

Alliance and their fascist ways would have had a headstart on building an empire, essentially making Earth and solar system into a concentration camp for Hideauze, up to thepoint when Alliance feels capable enough and has enough territorial advantage to just wipe them all out.

The choice of using the gate too and continuing the fight on more equal footing in the depth of space only makes sense in terms of survival. However essentially both CU and Evolvers had expansionist motifs behind it too, turning the war into colonisation race, essentially(yet again quite common in human history, like what happened with Discovery of new World). So while expansionist nature drove their competition, the REASON why Hideauze had to use the warp gate too was pure survival, since it would give way too big of an advantage for CU.

You see why your argument is incredibly disgusting? Replace Hideauze with transgender people, or homosexual people, or people of different religion/race and the same "arguments" you work work onto furthering homophobic white supremacist propaganda.
AhenshihaelJun 4, 2013 4:26 AM
Jun 4, 2013 4:29 AM
Sep 2010
I love the way this series feels more and more about cultural misunderstandings. As if the differences betweeen Ledo and the earth people weren't enough -- now the squid-people are thrown into the mix.

Wonderful.
Jun 4, 2013 5:06 AM

Feb 2012
scruffykiwi said:
They mention very clearly it's a symbiotic relationship between the squid and human. BTW I work with GMO's every day in the lab and yes while this is is clearly impossible with current technologies there is a hell of a lot we do not understand with genetics and we are still in very early stages with gene therapy.

Oh yeah and as to the misuse of the word evolution, well I admit that the way the general press uses it pisses me off and it usually is used incorrectly. We are certainly not talking about darwinean evolution here! However, the term 'evolvers' seems to be a derogatory term applied by the humans.

Edit:

One final comment, It is very likely that the symbiont has had human genes incorporated to avoid rejection, so that is the starting point for your "human genome experiments". :)

Welp some kinda argument being raised at last.

1) I'd agree with the symbiotic relationship part, especially due to the name of the organism, but like I've earlier said: the end-result Hidauze is clearly shown to have no parts of its human form left (gore, and if there were bigger human parts in there the analyzation tools in Chambers etc. would trigger and catch that. Unless we're going all conspirational on this and assuming that CU coded a block for this into the system. But we're starting to stack up a lot of assumptions to make this work now). And if we assume there's nothing human left, how the hell would their human "self" survive? With the destruction of the human brain (or change) you would lose that.
And lets be honest, there is only so far we can push their "it's future tech!" before the ice-age becomes irrelevant to them, which would mean the whole plot is stupid.

2) Yes there is a LOT we don't know, but then again there are some thing we do with a veeeeeeery high certainty (as high as you can get within science).

3) Evolvers clearly refer to themselves as such. Idk why this is relevant, though.

4) @edit: Fair enough.
Kellhus said:

GuusWayne said:
there is a limit to the suspension of disbelief

And it's the fan that did it. Not the smoking porn reading rubik cube genius rape ape with a magic boat.
Jun 4, 2013 5:15 AM

Sep 2011
Pusswookie said:
scruffykiwi said:
Pusswookie said:

Though that didn't really answer my question(s), it was along the same vein, so I'll just ask you to elaborate.
Are you saying that the cute one is an abnormality and might be the result of it's cephaloparents dropping acid during the pregnancy or spousal abuse? I doubt that's true, because it seems like they all start out looking vaguely human, and then gradually(?) turn in to rave party monsters. What I'm asking is, how in the growth process do they get from the humanoid kawaii squid to Mama mollusk with the Sarlacc mouth?
Do they just accrue more and more squid parts [as they mature] until they no longer look human, but in fact it's just an organic shell that's genetically melded to the wearer? Actually, let me try and word this in a less confusing way: is there the semblance of a human at the center of every hideauze, encased in and melded to squid flesh, or have they done away with human similarities almost altogether and are now an entirely separate life form? Probably the latter, though that still doesn't explain how they make such a drastic metamorphosis from humanoid child to Obviously a Squid and Nothing Else adults.

Speaking of, weren't they originally meant to be able to shed their cephalopodic exterior post space flight, or was the complete lack of opposable thumbs and other such nifty bits a design oversight?

LOL .. I wasn't suggesting an acid trip! I was just saying that slight changes in conditions during fetal development can have a huge impact in the final form and if you want to do some radical changes this would be the point to do it.

As to the different forms? Who knows. I think the one that got squished at the end certainly appeared to be smaller than the 'final' form so perhaps it's a stage in development?
Jun 4, 2013 5:41 AM
Jan 2013
Mother of twists... You know, the saddest thing about this whole ordeal is that it's once again a human conflict. I swear we suck. 5/5
Jun 4, 2013 7:27 AM

Jun 2008
So just to make clear. All the Hideauze in space are there because they are humans who went to space by transforming like that. So the weak Hideauze Ledo killed that looked like squints are they also combines with humans or are they the primitive form of the creature(well except the human like of course)? Cause i don't think those where Evolvers.

Wordsmith said:
Echelonex said:
Pesti13nce said:
Did anyone else's heart sink a little when chamber did what he did at the end, with the humanoid looking one?
Yup...;-; Why did chamber kill that one, it looked harmless...:(

Target identified as Hideauze. Enemy. Zenmetsu.

They don't program their AI's to suddenly feel for the enemy.

About this episode.... I could stuffed dynamite into both my ears and my mind wouldn't be as blown as it is now. And seeing dem "Evolvers" slowly turn into hideous monsters left a very unpleasant feeling in my tummy. Not only because they are all mutaed space spquids now, but because it means the whole war was, once again, humanity against itself.

If we started killing apes wouldn't you consider it humanity against itself? Cause we have common ancestor with them. It the same here. One part of the humans developed to a different species.
leeo268 said:
Meh, they shared common ancestor with human, but they are not human.
I mean we human wipe out all our cousin species many thousands years ago to survive. Won't surprise me if we did it again, but I would have expected the Hidezu to win overwhelming with their genetic advantage. I guess they fail because they abandon their technology to become more zerg like.

But as we saw while the Evolvers developed creatures to combine themselves with and live in space, the other humans developed too but instead of biologically they developed mechanically.

uniquelyme91 said:
Well it makes sense now why the "enemies" are called Hideauze sounding like hideous because that's what a group of people who hate evolvers call them. To them they are hideous because they are no longer completely human. Which now is pretty ironic since now they are the hideous people who kill their own because they are not "good" enough. I guess the irony is really who are the hideous people, the people who look "hideous" or the people who kill them because they are different.

Well to be fair to the Galactic empire when it started the war was something like a world nations coalition and they had a point. Those scientist created their own small nation where they felt free to make every twisted experiment they thought without any respect to international laws about limits of what you should and shouldn't do.
Transforming humans into huge space breathing monsters isn't exactly a very logical way of using their science.
They have some legitimacy to attack them but i guess after that they just fought and fought and where it all started kind of got lost.

Takuan_Soho said:

Not sure about this whole concept: if humanity is intelligent enough to create wormholes and perform genetic manipulation to this degree, couldn't they have built some sort of satellite array to channel more sunlight to Earth, preventing the ice age? Yes, I know this would require extreme science, but more so than wormhole technology? And the design of these "space humans", who thought that was a good idea? Cautionary tale on human cloning and genetic manipulation. Can't argue with that, science isn't always on the side of good or particularly wise.

Actually you are completely right. All the shit they pulled are actually a lot harder than manipulating the climate.
MonadJun 4, 2013 7:37 AM
Jun 4, 2013 7:37 AM

Jan 2013

There happy?
CabronJun 4, 2013 7:43 AM

Jun 4, 2013 7:39 AM

Jul 2007
Monad said:

Well to be fair to the Galactic empire when it started the war was something like a world nations coalition and they had a point. Those scientist created their own small nation where they felt free to make every twisted experiment they thought without any respect to international laws about limits of what you should and shouldn't do.
Transforming humans into huge space breathing monsters isn't exactly a very logical way of using their science.
They have some legitimacy to attack them but i guess after that they just fought and fought and where it all started kind of got lost.

Its no different than religious conflicts.

The Evolvers did what they did out of free will, from what we know it was not forceful and it was under conditions that would be desperate enough to bend international laws (the earth was in progress of transitioning to an ice age)

The episode even made sure to point out that CU attacked BEFORE UN made the decision. that in itself means that its more an attack out of hatred and fear.

From what the show told us:
1. Evolvers did not exhibit aggressive behavior towards humanity.
2. Humanity launched nukes first at them and was the aggressor.

Its no different in idea than mainstream cases of such conflicts (humans versus mutans in xmen, etc), but also...

If we take away the SCIENCE part, its no different than most of genocides in the past of our history, with one nationality or race being demonzed as a justification for the actions of the other bigger country.

Through histories we had thousands upon thousands of those kinds of justifications - "POC are not human but inferior apes, so slavery is okay"/"gipsies are evil wizards"/"jewish people are thieves and intent on destruction of society"/"homosexual people are intent on eradicating heterosexual people"

Every single case of racism, sexism, homophobia, etc, used similar arguments. Its plain and simple - Continental Union attacked the Evolvers because they were different from usual human standard. There are reasons on why there are clear parallels between Galactic Alliance and Nazi Germany.
Jun 4, 2013 7:40 AM

Jan 2013
el_putazo said:

GJ there. Just like the bunch of a$$holes in this thread, you spoiled it again.
DawnJJun 4, 2013 7:45 AM
日本人はイッちゃってるよ
あいつら未来に生きてんな
Jun 4, 2013 7:40 AM

Nov 2011
el_putazo said:

How about you spoiler that post since it's a pretty big deal? Jesus Christ. It's not that hard to say to yourself: "Hmmm... If someone hadn't watched that show then maybe they don't want to know this right now."

Show some courtesy to other people. This isn't your private message board.
Jun 4, 2013 7:44 AM

Jul 2007
neontaster said:
el_putazo said:

How about you spoiler that post since it's a pretty big deal? Jesus Christ. It's not that hard to say to yourself: "Hmmm... If someone hadn't watched that show then maybe they don't want to know this right now."

Show some courtesy to other people. This isn't your private message board.

Shit like that really bugs me. Its basically MAL community trademark - "oh yay let's spoil random shit in every single thread, because obviously everyone has already seen it"
Jun 4, 2013 7:45 AM

Jan 2013

But yeah I'm an "a$$hole" alright...

@neontaster, slow your roll guy/girl...
OK so I made a mistake... my bad.

Jun 4, 2013 7:47 AM

Jan 2013
el_putazo said:

You don't really have to say
to spoil.

Don't click the spoiler if you haven't watched The Sixth Sense.

Anyway, you are not the first one spoiling that. You're like... 7th or w/e.
日本人はイッちゃってるよ
あいつら未来に生きてんな
Jun 4, 2013 7:47 AM

Nov 2011
el_putazo said:
How did I spoil it?

Yes, but considering what happened in this episode, that makes it very clear.

Ad no, I won't "slow my roll." You're lucky I actually watched that show or I would have been legitimately angry. Right now I'm just annoyed for other people. I've been burned by MAL before, and I take incredible pains to not spoil things.

Here's a rule: If you want to mention show X in a thread about show Y - spoiler it. Always. I don't trust people to make judgment calls on spoilers on MAL.
Jun 4, 2013 7:51 AM

Jan 2013
I get it honest mistake.
My bad, didn't mean to do that...

I've been burned before so I know that feeling...
Again, honest mistake didn't mean to offend you guys.

Jun 4, 2013 7:56 AM

Nov 2011
el_putazo said:
I get it honest mistake.

OK cool. I only got mad because it's a topic I care a lot about. Thanks for adding spoiler tags.
Jun 4, 2013 7:56 AM

Nov 2011
5/5

Stake enjoyable, even here there will be the turning point that will bring the series to a higher level and will give us some great satisfaction, a darker plot twists and burst. I'm not blown out of the chair, but to know the real story behind the Hideauze, made ​​me feel bad for Ledo's hands are stained with the blood of so many innocent people, because in the end they tried to defend themselves perhaps only! Poor cuttlefish, you're a brute Chamber! The hypothesis that the little girl can be seen in the documents is Amy, I had flashed to me, oh really maybe there will be a dramatic background in the future!
Jun 4, 2013 8:02 AM

Jan 2013
neontaster said:
el_putazo said:
I get it honest mistake.

OK cool. I only got mad because it's a topic I care a lot about. Thanks for adding spoiler tags.
Well It Is a pretty good show.

Jun 4, 2013 8:07 AM

Jan 2013
el_putazo said:

I wish it had 24 ep... It would have been much more enjoyable with more foreshadowing/drama/Ledo growing-up scenes.
日本人はイッちゃってるよ
あいつら未来に生きてんな
Jun 4, 2013 8:31 AM
Dec 2011
Darklight0303 said:
StopDropAndBowl said:
katsucats said:

Why is everyone saying the Hideauze aren't sentient? All we saw of them (and I mean ACTUAL Hideauze, not the whalesquids which might as well be only empty symbiotic shells) was in episode 1 - where they didn't talk but they put up one hell of a fight against the Galactic Alliance. You don't fight back against such a strong and technologically advanced enemy without a brain (albeit maybe a collective one). And the fact that they didn't talk, well, doesn't count much, you don't just start randomly chatting with the enemy during a battle and we only saw Ledo's side of things. So whether the Hideauze are fully sentient, controlled by a hive mind, or regressed to parasitic animals, it's at the very least a still open point. Personally I doubt they aren't sentient (would kill the point of the twist if that was it, there's not much of a moral dilemma in killing a bunch of out of control animal-minded aggressive alien beings), but we'll wait and see.
Jun 4, 2013 8:50 AM

Jan 2013
DawnJ said:
el_putazo said:

I wish it had 24 ep... It would have been much more enjoyable with more foreshadowing/drama/Ledo growing-up scenes.
+1 Agreed.

Jun 4, 2013 8:59 AM
Oct 2012
Gan_HOPE326 said:
Why is everyone saying the Hideauze aren't sentient?

Teeth. I cannot conceive of an intelligent sentient life form capable of advanced weaponry flinging themselves upon their enemies in an attempt to bite them. I have a very strong feeling that there are two types of Hideauze, the leadership and their biological weapons (which have included all but 1 of the Hidaezue/Whalesquids we have seem). The child we saw Chamber kill was one of the "true" Hideauze, the rest are animals.

This makes sense in that only a limited number of humans underwent the conversion, there is probably a limit to the number of the hybrids. Indeed the GA may have known this, so when Chamber had the opportunity to kill one he was programmed to do it.

On a side note, the teeth, for the most part look human not squidish (which would look more like the tooth that Ledo has been carving). I wonder what a palaeontologist would think if he had come across one of those in situ (since teeth are generally used to determine species). Wonder what the wear pattern on those would be!
Jun 4, 2013 10:15 AM
Oct 2010
Haha that show got spoiled for me earlier in the thread, not that I had a great desire to watch it but it was kinda lame. Anyway I'd imagine the Hideauze offspring come out more beast like than human, and possibly have an ant like social structure, however they have been shown to possess advanced weaponry so the assumption that their's a two tiered system of hideaze is probably true.

However it was shown that there were many of those shell like hideauze in the past, so that does hurt that theory, it's possible they are attacking melee style merely because they have the means to do so. Although it doesn't explain why that one guy evolved into such a huge thing and the rest of them look like snails.
Jun 4, 2013 11:20 AM
Feb 2011
Fai said:

Evolvers wanted to preserve humanity via forced evolution/gene manipulation.
Continental Alliance wanted to retain "PURE" humanity (sounds familiar? yeah it should, that's logic right out of Hitler's handbook) and lo and behold thousands of years latter Alliance is full of white haired purple eyed perfect condition ubermensch(clearly a parallel to Hitler's blond blue eyed "perfect german citizen" idea) living in an utilitarian sparta-like military regime , treating another species as "inferior" and justifying the was with the said species via saying they are inferior.

I'm not gonna deny the Alliance did something wrong later. They definitely went into eugenics and started creating a race of soldiers, killing the weak, etc... But at the time the conflict began, we've had absolutely zero indication this war the case. In fact, I strongly believe it's very safe to assume none of this crap was even happening before they left Earth. You know why they did those horrible things, right? Because they were about to be exterminated by the Evolvers/Hideauze because they followed them as they fled Earth.

And forcibly converting people, making horrific experiments on them and breaking every ethical law (aka, natural laws, not just written laws) in the book was an attack on the rest of humanity. It sent a message loud and clear: We'll turn everyone into space creatures to let humanity survive, even if you don't want it. That's why the Continental Union fired the first shots in this conflict. Because what the Evolvers did was an assault on humanity itself. If they let them continue to scale their operations, regular humans wouldn't have survived, they would have been either forcibly converted or killed if they opposed them. It started with protests and since they continued, it escalated into a war.

And wtf is wrong with you, man? Not wanting to keep your humanity intact means you're a nazi? Are you ****ing kidding me? So if I decide people shouldn't be turned into mutants against their will, I'm a nazi? Because that's what you called the Continental Union for defending humans' rights not to be forcibly converted.

Fai said:

Humans were leaving to EXPAND, by the time Hideauze would reach outside solar system, the glorious master-race woul dbe already prepared to "cleanse" them just like they tried before.

So Hideauze chose to hitch a ride and continue the war on equal conditions instead of giving tactical and territorial advantage to the enemy and staying behind in what essentially is concentration camp.

So while the REASONS behind actions of both are very understandable and survival-based, both side sof humanity were thinking in same conquest logic that dominated the world during the discovery of New World.

Had Continental Alliance NOT had a HUGE hard-on on eradicated the "impure", the both species most likely would just went into different sides of space and coexisted - the term which Alliance erased from their vocabulary.

Hold on. Humanity was leaving because it was on the verge of going extinct because of it was freezing and becoming uninhabitable for humans. Evolvers decided to modify humans to live in space, the Union stepped up their technology to go live in another world. The Union wasn't expanding, it was getting the hell out of there and trying to find somewhere else to live because they couldn't stay or they'd die. By doing that, they attempted to leave the conflict and destroy the portal to leave the evolvers back there.

The Evolvers could stay. They didn't need to expand at all. They could live in space. But no, they wanted to expand everywhere so they followed them and prevented them from leaving the conflict. All the nasty crap the Union did later as it became the Alliance happened after they left Earth because they were being outmatched. I'd stand by the Union anytime. The Alliance? Not so much. The Evolvers? Not a chance in hell.

Fai said:

Alliance never HAD a way - they fired the first shots out of hatred against differently-looking part of humanity, they started the whole mess and they kept it up.

AS for devolution - insufficient data to tell - its quite clear that no one in the "glorious master race" would even bother on EVEN TRYING to communicate.

Hell I am convinced that "Avalon" is not even real - and the soldiers sent to Avalon are simply disposed of.

witacume said:
HongISfirE said:
So, who is better, squid or alliance?
Alliance, the Hideazu Started the whole conflct by Disobeying INTERNATIONAL law so by doing that it pretty much eff their argument. Unfortunately this is the problem with a lot of ideas. You have to be patience and make your case, instead of yelling at each other and forcing your ideals.

I am sorry but not the law bullshit again - disobeying laws is not a justification for a genocide, NOTHING IS.

But the Alliance DID have a way. When it was the Continental Union. The Evolvers never did. The Alliance started acting all sorts of crazy after they left Earth, probably because they realized they would have no chance of winning this conflict otherwise. You're trying to convince people the Union was wrong to attack them. They weren't. They were justified. The Evolvers were committing a grave offense by converting people forcibly, lying about what they were doing to convert people, etc... Any sane person would be outraged by this and feel the need to stop them. They weren't being honest and only converting people who agreed to it. That's why they attacked.

As for the de-evolution. I think the evidence is there. When they're younger, they seem more intelligent, more capable of independent thought, they seem to communicate. But as they mature, they turn into whalesquids, become of a hive mind and lose all ability to communicate as their bestial instincts take over. Their reactions so far points towards that.
NcrdrgJun 4, 2013 11:38 AM
Jun 4, 2013 11:38 AM

Nov 2011
@Ncrdrg The Evolvers WERE NOT MODIFYING ANYONE FORCIBLY (I.E. WITHOUT THEIR CONSENT)

The were a number of countries that supported them. They had VOLUNTEERS. Nowhere it was said that they were experimenting on people without their consent.

You're mistaken in other points too, but this is the most important one.

GET DROPBOX HERE!
Bonus space for you and me with this link! Now 500MB per referral, up to 16GB from referrals alone.
Jun 4, 2013 11:52 AM
Oct 2010
Ncrdrg said:
As for the de-evolution. I think the evidence is there. When they're younger, they seem more intelligent, more capable of independent thought, they seem to communicate. But as they mature, they turn into whalesquids, become of a hive mind and lose all ability to communicate as their bestial instincts take over. Their reactions so far points towards that.
While the evidence is too thin at this point, here's a possibility:

Maybe there's a mix of creatures with different degrees of intelligence. The Hideauze (Earth or Space variants) could very well have a complex social structure based on this. So the whalesquid could be nothing more than "lowly" sentinels, while "better developed" races live protected by them. The squeezed squid girl could very well have been one of those or simply on the next step of the social/intelligence chain.

Then again, with so little time to develop left, I could be overthinking it...
"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain"
Friedrich Schiller
Pages (14) « First ... « 8 9 [10] 11 12 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Suisei no Gargantia Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

zimno - Jun 30, 2013

499 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 5, 7:50 AM

Poll: » Suisei no Gargantia Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

bastek66 - Jun 23, 2013

340 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 5, 7:45 AM

Poll: » Suisei no Gargantia Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 16, 2013

261 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 5, 7:35 AM

Poll: » Suisei no Gargantia Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 9, 2013

344 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 5, 7:24 AM

Poll: » Suisei no Gargantia Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 26, 2013

253 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 5, 6:55 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.