Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jan 14, 2014 9:18 PM

Jul 2013
Yukio said but to make it more simple... Rock is a pussy.
Jan 27, 2014 1:00 PM
Jan 2014
Homolust said:
I think Rock is alright where he's standing. He's more neutral than anything else. Even though he's in the underground business, he's more rational than your average thug and tries to see the good in people. Yukio was harsh towards him. I wanted to slap her shit silly.

Maybe you are silly. Alright where he's standing? So naive. This world does not work that way. Neutral? Rational? People knows when someone just afraid to take responsiblity. Normally I don't like these big talks, but this time Yukio has the exactly right point: Rock just do not want to take the responsibility to do the right thing, he is a pussy and coward, just like a fucking normal people. I hate to see a normal coward as a sort of main character, playing saint, rationalize his motive to be good rather than lazy and afraid of taking action and responsibility, like in the Guilty Crown. It's just to fulfill the dream of anime viewer, which is not cool. But at least, Yukio slap these people in the face!
Feb 3, 2014 11:38 AM

Sep 2013
Ginji was awesome this episode. he cut a bullet in half, sliced dudes up and drowened a guy.
Mar 13, 2014 2:55 AM
Jun 2013
FlameLightX said:
Homolust said:
I think Rock is alright where he's standing. He's more neutral than anything else. Even though he's in the underground business, he's more rational than your average thug and tries to see the good in people. Yukio was harsh towards him. I wanted to slap her shit silly.

Maybe you are silly. Alright where he's standing? So naive. This world does not work that way. Neutral? Rational? People knows when someone just afraid to take responsiblity. Normally I don't like these big talks, but this time Yukio has the exactly right point: Rock just do not want to take the responsibility to do the right thing, he is a pussy and coward, just like a fucking normal people. I hate to see a normal coward as a sort of main character, playing saint, rationalize his motive to be good rather than lazy and afraid of taking action and responsibility, like in the Guilty Crown. It's just to fulfill the dream of anime viewer, which is not cool. But at least, Yukio slap these people in the face!

Only thing I agree with Yukio is that rock needs to decide where he stands. With his old life or this new one. Since its not possible with these very different life styiles.Besides that I wouldint call rock a complete wuss he has morals and tries to still stick with them even in this life.Thats shows some sort of power since he could of easily just drop them in this lifestyle. As I said it mainly just about him choosing what life he wants to live without being wissy washy about but at the same time not changing who he is.
Apr 15, 2014 11:56 AM

Dec 2013
Great op. Ginjo's sword skills are great.
May 24, 2014 6:31 AM

Dec 2013
marywhistley said:
ibrahim2712 said:
That inconsidered bitch Yukio who the fuck does she think just saved her useless ass?

Hahahahaha true
She did have a point about Rock being in the middle without really taking sides but I don't see why we have to put a label to everything and take sides in the first place. Every time he is acting according to his own morals and conscience. Yes he is avoiding to choose between his past and current lifestyle but he doesn't have to be either a bad or a good guy. No one is either anyway. Absoluteness is something unapproachable and that is for the best. But I can excuse her for just being jealous of his freedom to "choose".
Anyways, Revy was awesome as always, Ginji was epic and Rock with the broom was really funny.Plus, I liked very much the flashback scene of Balalaika, how the shadows of the trees resembled her future scars...

she's absolutely right about Rock! Thats why I have little respect for that guy. Its like he decided to walk into hell to add more excitement to his life. His version of "morality" is more like sentimentality. He's only interested in doing good or avoiding doing bad things based on what makes him feel good or bad.

The point she made very well, is that he has no right to lecture her about choosing to join the underworld when he chose the underworld without being under nearly as much pressure as she was and he could still get out of the underworld if he wanted to easily! He's in Japan in the same city where his family lives! If he had any sense he would just move in with his fam and start looking for another job. But he's the audience surrogate for this anime, so that won't happen.

Nearly everyone in the underworld, (on some level) chose that life, However, Rock has a lot more options than most.
DaydreamHeroMay 24, 2014 7:02 AM
Love and Peace!!!
May 31, 2014 3:29 PM

Aug 2013
revy awesome. check

blonde guy dead. check

sword guy cutting bullet in half awesomeness. check.

I liked how Yukio FINALLY thanked rock at the end. I mean he did get her away from the clown. It took enough time to pass to hear her open her mouth in thanks.

Rock deserved the harsh words, as he has to make his own choice. she just made him realise it faster. but still... say thanks a little sooner.

she's kinda jealous that rocks still fairly human (and all the human conditions associated with it), and she succumbed to the darkness (still unsure why, her reasoning seems heavily rooted in culture, history and all the crap... that should just be left in the past)
Jun 23, 2014 10:05 PM

Aug 2013
Rock needs to figure out what he needs to do.
My Candies:
Jul 20, 2014 6:34 PM

Jul 2014
Can someone explain to me why balalika is trying to kill of the clan with yukio. What does balalika get out of it?
Shirayuki= Most Perfect Female MC ever
Aug 3, 2014 1:27 AM

Jul 2014
abyss333 said:
Can someone explain to me why balalika is trying to kill of the clan with yukio. What does balalika get out of it?

She's basically trying to gain all control of the Japan underground.
Aug 16, 2014 2:47 PM

Nov 2013
That episode was nuts. What a duo they make.
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Sep 16, 2014 7:50 PM
Mar 2009
Daaaaammmnnnn. Chaka's death was brutal. Literally flailing about because you have no hands left to grasp anything.
Oct 3, 2014 1:23 PM

Apr 2009
Scary!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 5, 2014 11:02 PM

Sep 2014
I'm losing my patience with Rock. He's been with them for over a fucking year and he hasn't changed one bit. How the fuck is he not carrying a weapon for self defence when he's working in that kind of environment?
Dec 19, 2014 10:51 AM

Jan 2013
Hope Rock will finally figure out what he wants now.
Jan 26, 2015 12:14 PM

Jun 2013
notsomacho said:
I'm losing my patience with Rock. He's been with them for over a fucking year and he hasn't changed one bit. How the fuck is he not carrying a weapon for self defence when he's working in that kind of environment?
This is something I thought of too. It's retarded to not have a weapon, then again they are in Japan (strict gun laws) but still. It would have been easy to order an extra pistol when Revy got her guns. Perhaps they want us to think that Rock is still a "good" person, and good persons don't kill other people with guns.
Mar 12, 2015 8:11 PM

Feb 2015
He sliced a bullet? He sliced a bleeding bullet?! How the heck is that even possi-- wait, it's anime... nvm.

Good episode though.
Mar 29, 2015 2:16 AM

May 2013
Real satisfying to watch the guy drown in the pool, fucking dirtbag.

Yukio really dissected Rock right there. I want him to make a choice whatever it may be.
Mar 31, 2015 1:19 AM

Jul 2008
He can slice bullets...he's freaking Zoro!!!
Aug 13, 2015 9:47 PM

Aug 2014
Katana slicing a bullet in half haha that was very funny moment to watch, credibility bla bal bla bla, ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBFlYwluqMk

Oh sh*t !!
Aug 26, 2015 2:36 AM

Apr 2013
Not enough action scenes, all that talk between Rock and that girl kinda bored me.
Oct 20, 2015 1:13 PM

May 2015
"And that's why I hate you." That line hit hard.

DAMN that girl read Rock to filth. He's been trapped in a moral purgatory for 21 episodes; about damn time he was called out on it.

Revy was great, but I hate hearing her speak English. I realize the actress is Japanese but Revy's native language is American English. It sounds so sloppy. I know it would be a lot harder to do, but I think it would be great if, during the parts they speak English, they speak English, and the native speakers SOUND native (same with Japanese, Russian, German and Spanish) and then they can use subtitles as needed.
"It's a tragic misunderstanding that could have been easily avoided if he just finished his sentence in time!"

— Richard Watterson (The Amazing World of Gumball)
Nov 18, 2015 10:14 AM

Feb 2015
I LOL'd at the STRIKE!. Revy + Ginji = highly entertaining.

What Yukio said to Rock was true, but I thought it was unnecessarily harsh. Then again, if I were huddled naked in a hallway with a stranger after being beaten and kidnapped and fondled and witnessing a slaughter, I wouldn't give a fuck about anyone else's feelings.

I am surprised though that Rock still doesn't carry a weapon, and hasn't at least taken off that damn tie. It's been over a year. On to the next episode...
mayqueenNov 18, 2015 10:29 AM
May 1, 2016 2:41 AM

Sep 2012
Great episode. What a bloodshed.
Nov 14, 2016 8:27 PM

Mar 2015
End this arc already.

2.3/5
Jun 29, 2017 3:40 PM

May 2014
One of the better episodes of this arc that's for sure.

I was celebrating when that blonde piece of trash got what was coming to him.
Like, he seriously thought he could take on Revy in a gun fight??
When Rock hit him over the head with a frickin' bowling pin?? lmao

The Yukio and Rock scene was really well done too- she's basically told him what the audience has known and he's refused to address all along.
He's been in limbo because he doesn't want to return to a mundane life, but he doesn't want to become like Revy either- right now he's a nomad who doesn't really belong anywhere because he's too scared to immerse himself in either side.

Which is all the more irritating for Yukio because she didn't have a choice at all- but Rock does and refuses to acknowledge that. In fact, barely any of the other characters have had the liberty of a choice- it'd be quite something if Rock chooses to immerse himself in all this crime and murder eventually. If anything, it'd make him pretty similar to Balalaika- a monster.
Maybe that's why we've been seeing her childhood/past threaded through this arc- for parallels.

Despite everything Yukio and Ginji have done, they're likely going to die next episode. Balalaika doesn't let her prey live :/

Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 28, 2017 9:25 AM

Dec 2012
what a way to die, with your arms cut off and bleeding out in a pool hahaha

damn, little head of the clan chick was spitting truth about revy, known him for only a small amount of time and hit it all on the nail
I guess the clan girl was the foil for Revy & Balalaika, interesting to see the contrast and the similarities between them. And seeing little Balalaika was cool.
Oct 29, 2017 4:43 PM

May 2012
That sure was quite the episode and what an ending! Really amazing and of course the best part of this season! Let's see what the two last episodes of this season will offer!
Mar 30, 2018 10:00 PM

Sep 2013
At this point, Revy is the only thing this show has going for it.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Dec 11, 2018 10:44 AM
Oct 2018
Rock is just a fuking hypocrite i don't know why the author create a character like him in this show he has nothing to offer. just the plot armor who keep him alive
Jan 29, 2019 9:51 AM

Nov 2016
Chaka had it coming.

This was a cool episode.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Apr 23, 2019 1:05 PM

Mar 2012
You're welcome Yukio.
May 29, 2019 7:46 AM
May 2018
this episode shows how rock is a dumbfuck.
Yukio is RIGHT about everything on the last part of this episode. hes in the twilight. he doesn't have the NERVE to pull anything at all. also! that bullet slicing is soooooo dope!
Sep 8, 2019 3:12 AM

Dec 2013
Whoah, Revy is really cool! And I can't believe Gin can cut through bullets? I feel bad for Balalaika and Yukio, I think they have similarities but what Yukio said to Rock is true.

★━━─
𝘏𝘰𝘸 𝘤𝘢𝘯 𝘐 𝘣𝘳𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘱𝘦𝘢𝘤𝘦 𝘵𝘰 𝘮𝘺 𝘩𝘦𝘢𝘳𝘵?
𝘞𝘩𝘦𝘯 𝘐 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘬 𝘢𝘣𝘰𝘶𝘵 𝘪𝘵 𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘳𝘺 𝘥𝘢𝘺?

Jan 5, 2020 3:06 PM

Nov 2017

This scene is a classic
Jul 18, 2020 10:35 AM

Mar 2020
this episode is the best! both action scenes and dialogues were on a high level!
“Life is a constant process of dying.”
Aug 10, 2020 3:32 PM

Dec 2010
Whoah, Rock was put in his place by a younger person. Even if Yukio is indeed jealous of Rock's freedom of not taking side, that doesn't diminish her point at all. If the lives of Balalaika were on the line, would he just stand and watch as to not get his hands dirty?
Jan 1, 2021 12:56 PM

Jul 2017
Outstanding episode. This episode was such a treat on the adrenaline action front as it featured some fucking awesome scenes with Revy and Ginji taking down everyone in such Hollywood-esque, Michael Bay-level fashion like Ginji cutting the bullet in half while Chaka shot at him, only to chop his arms off and make him drown in the pool + Revy just comically annhialating everyone in sight and before Chaka was got, basically trampling all over his manhood in the process. It was pure entertainment and I loved every second of that.

And then this episode also struck gold on a thematic and cognitive front too when thinking about Yukio's conversation with Rock, as Yukio comes to the realization (as well as Rock) that Rock's living in the twilight, undecided after all this time on whether or not he wants to retreat to his normal life with forgetting about the underworld, or to dive deep into it that he becomes as cold-blooded, ruthless and unforgiving like everyone he's met in Roanapur, especially the Lagoon Company. He's more neutral than anyone except the fact that he's working with the Lagoon Company, not willing to pull the trigger or anyone or stab anyone, he's still trying to have shreds of humanity in him while still wanting to live the thrills of the underworld because he feels free there compared to how he was treated in Japan. You can't have your cake and eat it too, and Rock's been living in the neutral realm for over a year now, and even he knows that deep down, especially during the time when he confronted Revy about her actions in the ship that lead to them having tension in the first place when he was calling her out then.
Jun 20, 2022 2:05 AM
Nov 2017
the worst episode ever, stop watching this shit after finish this EP..

seriously, get rid that fking useless character ROCK and the story wil get millon times better.

that shit JK need to get RAPED, DRUGGED, THROW AWAY TO TRASH then Get RAPED AGAIN, TORTURED> lost limb or eye to build into that dark character, not just get it with talking with a useless shit MC.

this asshol rock RUIN this masterpiece.
Aug 17, 2022 9:01 PM
Apr 2021
This episode was amazing with Revy and Genji as a duo but damnnnnn Yukio put rock in his place and I can’t lie she was spitting the truth, rock doesn’t want to be a cold blooded person but at the same time he doesn’t want to go back to his average lifestyle but the catch is he has a choice to do that while Yukio doesn’t, so it doesn’t make sense for Rock to try and be a good person when he’s on the bad side of things. Pretty much its like Rock can either be on one side or the other he can’t be on both sides which Yukio doesn’t have the choice to do since she’s was gonna be Head of the clan whether for likes it or not. And I still don’t know why Rock doesn’t have a gun🤦🏽‍♂️
Dec 12, 2022 2:38 PM

Mar 2020
OmegaRed said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
That was probably one of the better episodes of this series.

Again, Revy is SO FUCKING COOL.

The swordsman cutting the bullet in half was neat, although unrealistic.

By far the best part was when whats-his-face got his hand cut off and then throw in the pool. That sure is someway to die. I couldn't stop laughing though (morbid ... I know).

by 2022 and actually no it's not unrealistic it was done in 2018!!! xD
Jan 12, 2023 9:18 PM

Dec 2022
the best outfit revy wore in the entire series so far, GOD i love her !!!! second half of the episode sorta dragged on but all in all it was a great one
Aug 27, 2023 8:21 PM
Feb 2022
Finally someone says Rock his true. Either embrase Under world, or go back to your normal life.
Jan 4, 2:46 AM

Oct 2020
Alright, I guess that was kind of really cool
Revy especially had some stellar action sequences and it was a breath of fresh air to see her doing her flips and kicks in actual.. clothing

And dang, her kicking that Chaka guy down in response to his duel proposal was very cathartic
Jan 21, 6:19 PM

Jan 2024
Very cool action this episode. Revy and Ginji tore apart the gang of punks. Rock's character gets exposed a bit here, he is unique among all the characters in this show in that he hasn't fully committed to diving into the dark, criminal underworld or returning to his regular world. Unlike a lot of the characters we've seen Rock has a choice in which direction he goes, but he does not want to choose. He still maintains his general morality and ideals while engaging with the underworld. In a sense he's a tourist, he gets to see all the tragedy first-hand, but has an escape route if he wants it. People like Revy, Balalaika, Hotel Moscow, etc. have nowhere else to go. Yukio somewhat has a choice to either let her Yakuza sect die and continue on with the life she wants or to become the leader in an attempt to keep the sect alive at the cost of her own happiness. She, unlock Rock, makes the choice and throws away the better life for the sake of others. I wonder how Rock changes from here on.
As_Time_AllowsJan 21, 6:27 PM
Feb 29, 5:30 PM

Jul 2021
Revy is always amazing.

Cant wait to see what Balalaika does.

Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Black Lagoon: The Second Barrage Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

OmegaRed - Dec 22, 2008

192 by bubba460z »»
Feb 29, 6:21 PM

Poll: » Black Lagoon: The Second Barrage Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

figure8life - Apr 23, 2009

60 by bubba460z »»
Feb 29, 5:55 PM

Poll: » Black Lagoon: The Second Barrage Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

OmegaRed - Dec 21, 2008

62 by bubba460z »»
Feb 29, 4:04 PM

Poll: » Black Lagoon: The Second Barrage Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

seita - Aug 25, 2008

67 by bubba460z »»
Feb 29, 3:38 PM

Poll: » Black Lagoon: The Second Barrage Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Scribbly - Apr 24, 2009

107 by bubba460z »»
Feb 29, 3:17 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.