Forum Settings
Forums

Do you for the most part agree with the rankings on MAL?

New
Mar 24, 2013 5:58 PM

Nov 2011
I don't myself I mean Ashita no Joe isn't even in the top 200 that's just blasphemy. Also Code Geass is pretty high up but I saw one episode and hated it so much I don't even know if I can pull myself to watch episode 2. Steins; Gate was good but don't know about top 5 good.
Pages (7) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Mar 24, 2013 6:00 PM

Sep 2012
Threads like these make me sad :(
Mar 24, 2013 6:02 PM

Oct 2007
No.
Mar 24, 2013 6:02 PM

Jan 2012
Red_Keys said:
On the other hand, this makes me sad: http://myanimelist.net/topanime.php

Ookami Kodomo no Ame to Yuki is in there now, really MAL, really? I mean, I lost all my faith in you people a day after I joined this site, but this is ridiculous, even for you guys. But well, I guess it's Madhouse, and it's not moeblob and the story is uber touching, so it has to be amongst the top 30 anime I guess.

Ok, wow, KuroBa is above Madoka. Yeah, I kind of loathe this community, too bad there's nothing more decent either.
bNqMar 24, 2013 6:12 PM
Mar 24, 2013 6:03 PM

Nov 2011
Red_Keys said:
I'm sorry how can I make you not sad?
Mar 24, 2013 6:04 PM

Nov 2010
No but I also don't care about them. It's impossible for them to fully match up with my own ratings.
Mar 24, 2013 6:10 PM

Nov 2011
IntroverTurtle said:
No but I also don't care about them. It's impossible for them to fully match up with my own ratings.

Well I said for the most part since there is no way they can exactly match your opinion. That would be just silly if I said that.
Mar 24, 2013 6:12 PM

Sep 2011
I pretty much understand why those shows were ranked the way they are. I'm too lazy to figure out whether or not I agree with the rankings. Isn't mathematically computed or some crap like that? Plus, that list is useful when it's time for me to pick a new anime to watch.

Oh, and the rankings on MAL are probably a 100 times different than the rankings in Japan.

Anyway, Gintama is number one - so I'm not gonna complain.
"Cheer up, you’re never alone! There is probably at least 1 bug in your room."
Mar 24, 2013 6:14 PM

Oct 2012
For the most part it's just a big popularity contest, so no.

Mar 24, 2013 6:15 PM

Aug 2012
There's always going to be something ranked high that you don't agree with. I don't get worked up over it. What's the point?
Mar 24, 2013 6:15 PM

Jun 2012
Not this shit again.
I'm also filled with pure-hearted ulterior motives.

Mar 24, 2013 6:16 PM

Apr 2012
No Boku no Pico should be #1

Honestly dont mind... considering my ratings are pretty bad :s
Mar 24, 2013 6:17 PM

Mar 2007
The top 5 don't match my top 5 so they're wrong.
You've come a long way, baby.
Mar 24, 2013 6:19 PM

Nov 2011
Kimura said:
The top 5 don't match my top 5 so they're wrong.
That sig is beyond creepy.
Mar 24, 2013 6:22 PM

Jun 2009
Rather than for or against, I'd say I'm just indifferent. Also, it's important to note that Ashita no Joe isn't completely translated so a lot of people who are interested in the show, like myself, probably haven't watched it for that very reason.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Mar 24, 2013 6:28 PM

Nov 2011
insan3soldiern said:
Rather than for or against, I'd say I'm just indifferent. Also, it's important to note that Ashita no Joe isn't completely translated so a lot of people who are interested in the show, like myself, probably haven't watched it for that very reason.
Yeah I know but their are other examples of great shows with lesser rating like Saint Seiya and City Hunter. Also I don't take the ratings that seriously in case I made it sound like I do.
Mar 24, 2013 6:28 PM

Mar 2013
This thread should be locked by a member of staff, this type of discussion only leads to all out war :P So without getting into it, I'll simply say no I don't agree with the rankings. Problem is the vast majority of people casting votes here are under 15 lol...... and I don't trust the opinions of anyone at that age :P
Mar 24, 2013 6:30 PM

Mar 2013
Quick Luna or somebody lock this topic xD
Mar 24, 2013 6:34 PM

Jun 2012
CharlesTheWise said:
Sir, for someone who is requesting a thread to be locked, your double post is a violation of forum rules. Also, it is okay for this kind of thread to exist, but not when there have been multiple threads about MAL rankings. Not to mention, this thread is just a typical thread whimsically created under the premise, "the stuff I like isn't rated high and the stuff I don't like is." It's fucking redundant, simple-minded and obnoxious.

Mar 24, 2013 6:46 PM

Nov 2011
Holybaptiser said:
CharlesTheWise said:
Sir, for someone who is requesting a thread to be locked, your double post is a violation of forum rules. Also, it is okay for this kind of thread to exist, but not when there have been multiple threads about MAL rankings. Not to mention, this thread is just a typical thread whimsically created under the premise, "the stuff I like isn't rated high and the stuff I don't like is." It's fucking redundant, simple-minded and obnoxious.

I'm sorry I just wanted to ask the great and wonderful people of MAL what there thoughts on the rankings of this site were. Its been a long time since I last visited and just wanted to ask a simple question. I don't really care what the ratings are I just stated I disagree with them. Sorry if your butthurt over my simplemindedness.
Mar 24, 2013 6:46 PM

Nov 2010
BlackSabotage said:
insan3soldiern said:
Yeah I know but their are other examples of great shows with lesser rating like Saint Seiya and City Hunter. Also I don't take the ratings that seriously in case I made it sound like I do.
That's the thing, Saint Seiya and City Hunter I could see why people don't like them a lot, even if they watched them. City Hunter was just like a lot of older anime where they are long and they repeat similar situations a lot. And Saint Seiya, I don't know how to explain it, but I don't think MAL users would like the story and characters even if they got past the art.
Mar 24, 2013 6:47 PM

Jun 2012
BlackSabotage said:
Holybaptiser said:
CharlesTheWise said:

I'm sorry I just wanted to ask the great and wonderful people of MAL what there thoughts on the rankings of this site were. Its been a long time since I last visited and just wanted to ask a simple question. I don't really care what the ratings are I just stated I disagree with them. Sorry if your butthurt over my simplemindedness.
I forgive you. Just try to evolve out of your elementary way of thinking and it's all good.

Mar 24, 2013 6:48 PM

Feb 2008
Why do people even care about rankings? Especially on MAL.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Mar 24, 2013 6:48 PM

Nov 2011
IntroverTurtle said:
BlackSabotage said:
insan3soldiern said:
That's the thing, Saint Seiya and City Hunter I could see why people don't like them a lot, even if they watched them. City Hunter was just like a lot of older anime where they are long and they repeat similar situations a lot. And Saint Seiya, I don't know how to explain it, but I don't think MAL users would like the story and characters even if they got past the art.

Two of the most fun and entertaining anime I ever saw and you shot them down ;_;. Goes into a corner amd weeps.
Mar 24, 2013 6:49 PM
Jul 2012
Nope.
Mar 24, 2013 6:50 PM

Nov 2011
ZetaZaku said:
Why do people even care about rankings? Especially on MAL.
Because we are posting on MAL.

Holybaptiser said:
BlackSabotage said:
Holybaptiser said:
CharlesTheWise said:

I forgive you. Just try to evolve out of your elementary way of thinking and it's all good.

Will do :D
Mar 24, 2013 7:01 PM

Nov 2010
BlackSabotage said:
IntroverTurtle said:
BlackSabotage said:
insan3soldiern said:

Two of the most fun and entertaining anime I ever saw and you shot them down ;_;. Goes into a corner amd weeps.
I'm not shooting them down, because I did enjoy them (at least City Hunter, I got bored of Saint Seiya). I was saying that I could see why people wouldn't like them, and older anime have kind of an advantage in the ratings, stuff like Maison Ikkoku, Touch, and Igano Kabamaro are rated quite highly partly because of the small amount of users that have watched them.
Mar 24, 2013 7:04 PM

Jan 2013
Nope, don't really care though
Mar 24, 2013 7:05 PM

Nov 2011
IntroverTurtle said:
BlackSabotage said:
IntroverTurtle said:
BlackSabotage said:
insan3soldiern said:

I'm not shooting them down, because I did enjoy them (at least City Hunter, I got bored of Saint Seiya). I was saying that I could see why people wouldn't like them, and older anime have kind of an advantage in the ratings, stuff like Maison Ikkoku, Touch, and Igano Kabamaro are rated quite highly partly because of the small amount of users that have watched them.

I was being silly lol. Actually it's all a matter of taste I know this but I disagree with older stuff having an advantage. Only one 80s anime in the top 30 and thats LOTGH.
Mar 24, 2013 7:09 PM

Jan 2012
BlackSabotage said:

I was being silly lol. Actually it's all a matter of taste I know this but I disagree with older stuff having an advantage. Only one 80s anime in the top 30 and thats LOTGH.
That's probably more depending on how MAL is calculating its ranks. IntroverTurtle was right, allthough I'd put it more harshly than him.

What 80s anime is missing in the top30 in your opinion then?
Mar 24, 2013 7:15 PM

Nov 2011
bNq said:
BlackSabotage said:

That's probably more depending on how MAL is calculating its ranks. IntroverTurtle was right, allthough I'd put it more harshly than him.

What 80s anime is missing in the top30 in your opinion then?

I know if I state my favorites your going to tell me why they suck and how ashamed I should be but i'll do it anyway. Ranma 1/2, City Hunter, Hokuto no Ken, and Saint Seiya. Fortunately as I mentioned LOTGH did somehow make it.
Mar 24, 2013 7:22 PM

Jan 2012
BlackSabotage said:
I know if I state my favorites your going to tell me why they suck and how ashamed I should be.
haha, no, not at all. Even though some people here will tell you differently, I'm not particularly enjoying simply hating on other peoples taste. I really was just curious.

Wanted to check out the score of the shows, and they did land some pretty good ones (lots of straight 8s for example), it's exactly the thing IntroverTurtle described. About them not showing up in the ranking: It's really just a calculation issue, if you're interested in the details, you'll find the algorithm they use to calculate the rankings on the rank page. I think the key issue in them showing up so far behind, is the comparable average score (as opposed to Logth for example) combined with the few people who watched it.
bNqMar 24, 2013 7:25 PM
Mar 24, 2013 7:31 PM

Nov 2011
bNq said:
BlackSabotage said:
I know if I state my favorites your going to tell me why they suck and how ashamed I should be.
haha, no, not at all. Even though some people here will tell you differently, I'm not particularly enjoying simply hating on other peoples taste. I really was just curious.

Wanted to check out the score of the shows, and they did land some pretty good ones (lots of straight 8s for example), it's exactly the thing IntroverTurtle described. About them not showing up in the ranking: It's really just a calculation issue, if you're interested in the details, you'll find the algorithm they use to calculate the rankings on the rank page. I think the key issue in them showing up so far behind, is the comparable average score (as opposed to Logth for example) combined with the few people who watched it.
Sorry for jumping to conclusion but I figure you would understand why I expected a hateful remark ( I expect this from most of the internet not just Mal ). Thank you though for a dignified response. I know they don't have poor scores but I just find them superior to some of the ones in the top 30 ( City Hunter is by all means just as good as GTO but with more episodes ). Still I don't think the top 30 is all that bad at least their is Monster which was wonderful.
Mar 24, 2013 8:08 PM

Jan 2010
I take 'em with a grain of salt, or at least for the ones I've watched up there. For the most part I agree that most of them are probably well-made and have merit to them, perhaps even deserved merit, but whether I legitly like them or not is totally up in the air.
Mar 24, 2013 8:20 PM

Jul 2012
Not the ones I've rated 10. Not the one's I've rated 5 or lower.

--

Ooops misunderstood this question. Well, not really.
Mar 24, 2013 8:44 PM

Aug 2012
Ratings of a show have little or no effect on what kind of score I give a show or if I watch a show or not. So, in conclusion, I could care less about ratings.
Mar 24, 2013 9:21 PM

Jun 2010
For the most part, no. Popular shows tend to have inflated ratings simply because they're popular.
Mar 25, 2013 3:11 AM

May 2009
Long answer : NO

That's all this question deserves.
Mar 25, 2013 3:15 AM

Apr 2011
I don't give a shit what others think, so I'm indifferent on this matter.
Mar 25, 2013 3:19 AM

May 2010
Rankings on most sites, including MAL, is just a popularity contest.
If you are a fan of (or simply interested in) Japanese films
then please join the Cinema of Japan club! Thank you (:

Mar 25, 2013 3:23 AM

Apr 2011
bloodlover said:
Rankings on most sites, including MAL, is just a popularity contest.

*especially MAL.
Mar 25, 2013 6:19 AM

Dec 2012
Well Steins;Gate got like a 9.5 or something, which I cannot understand.

Then again this is an average of all the ratings of everyone on this site. If most people like it then the one with the deviant opinion is me, I am the weird one. Therefore I look at individual reviews and ratings and don't get my panties in a knot.
Mar 25, 2013 6:30 AM

Jan 2012
well ive only seen 2 anime inside the top 15 so i can't comment but no doubt i wont agree if i ever get around to watching some of them, but its just obvious there more popular for some reason, i don't intend on finding out why, nor do i get my knickers in a twist over it
Mar 25, 2013 7:56 AM

Mar 2013
Nope because what`s popular is popular that`s all :)
Mar 25, 2013 7:59 AM

Aug 2012
I fully disagree with the ranks
Mar 25, 2013 8:11 AM

Nov 2012
For the most part, yes.
Honestly I have seen way worst lists then the MAL ranking lists and I don't really get why people complain about it.
Mar 25, 2013 8:19 AM

Jan 2011
IntroverTurtle said:
BlackSabotage said:
insan3soldiern said:

the old Saint Seiya hasnt aged well but the new ones has very nice looking art

Mar 25, 2013 8:48 AM

Nov 2011
silversaint said:
IntroverTurtle said:
BlackSabotage said:
insan3soldiern said:

the old Saint Seiya hasnt aged well but the new ones has very nice looking art

Agree to disagree mate. Sorry some of us like the old style.
Mar 25, 2013 9:06 AM

Oct 2012
Death Note isn't ranked first, of course the list is screwed up!
Mar 25, 2013 9:11 AM

Nov 2012
natssuu said:
Death Note isn't ranked first, of course the list is screwed up!
Lol sarcasm?
Pages (7) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Which is your favourite Anime in this list?

PushedCaraway - 6 hours ago

24 by Ricchan__ »»
8 minutes ago

» Is watching a show for the cute girl weird?

fallout45 - 2 hours ago

11 by Horizon248 »»
9 minutes ago

» What's an anime that didn't meet your expectations, and what's an anime that exceeded them? ( 1 2 )

JKKH - Jul 18, 2022

59 by Daviljoe193 »»
14 minutes ago

» Has the isekai bubble finally burst ( 1 2 )

EastIndiaCompany - Apr 23

67 by Gator »»
14 minutes ago

» What will be the next KyoAni project? Tell me your thoughts.

Pinoffin - Today

48 by alshu »»
20 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.