Forum Settings
Forums
New
Dec 9, 2008 12:07 PM

Dec 2008
I am just curious has to what anime has the most beautiful/pleasant artwork. I realize there are many different opinions of what those words mean, so the door is open wide, what do you think?
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Dec 9, 2008 12:14 PM

Feb 2008
KyoAni series and Ef ~A tale of~
For me.
Dec 9, 2008 12:21 PM

Sep 2007
the most beautiful is higurashi I LOVE that drawing style.

the best hmmm... hellsing?
Dec 9, 2008 12:22 PM

Apr 2007
Apparently you haven't watched Gankutsuou, Mushishi, Samurai X, or 5cm Per Second, so you should check those out if you like badass artwork (I'm aware this isn't a recommendation thread; just sayin').

Most recent movies are pretty insane (The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, Kara no Kyoukai, NGE Rebuild, Tekkon Kinkreet).

Samurai Champloo actually has some really beautiful scenes (such as the flashback of Mugen's past where he's in the jungle covered in blood. Very powerful scene).

Seirei no Moribito is another (especially the DVD version, seriously).

I liked Kanon 2006 and True Tears' artwork as well. The environments in particular are nice. Kind of nostalgic somehow.

quirli said:

lol?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 9, 2008 12:25 PM

Aug 2007
I adore Tsubasa Chronicals. Manga is always better in terms of art of course :)

Dec 9, 2008 12:28 PM

Apr 2008
Everything Neverender said.

Minus the Kyoani / Key whatever stuff
Dec 9, 2008 12:29 PM

Sep 2008
The ef ~ series.

I also love SZS and Higurashi styles. :D
*thumbs up*
Dec 9, 2008 12:47 PM

Nov 2008
Gankutsuou, Seirei no Moribito, Haibane Renmei, and anything by Shinkai Makoto.

Dec 9, 2008 1:06 PM

Nov 2007
5cms per second OR The Place promised in our early days - Makoto Shinkai is the king of beautiful anime art.

Anything by studio Ghibli rates highly as well.

In terms of anime series, I really loved the art style for Haibane Renmei, Clannad also had stunning art.

Dec 9, 2008 1:09 PM

Nov 2008
If you like the sci-fi/mecha genre then the Macross Frontier...
Dec 9, 2008 1:44 PM

Jan 2008
I loved the artwork in Mushishi. Lots of nature and stuff.
Dec 9, 2008 2:09 PM
Feb 2008
Mononoke.

Well okay, it's not the best, but I liked it. Really unique style. I agree with the majority of Neverender's choices as well though.
Dec 9, 2008 2:14 PM

Jun 2008
I liked the character designs for Boku wa Imouto ni Koi wo Suru.

Kinda random.
(づ°‿°.)づ
Dec 9, 2008 2:31 PM

Sep 2008
I personally like 5cm. Not too good a storyline but this makes up for it:

Dec 9, 2008 2:33 PM

Jun 2008
EF series and 5 cm per second, seems a bunch of ppl have said this but its true!
Dec 9, 2008 2:36 PM

Sep 2007
Pretty much any Makoto Shinkai work.

Pretty much anything by Shaft.
Dec 9, 2008 2:42 PM

Dec 2007
I know this is getting redundant but... all of Shaft's recent works, Mushishi, Samurai X, everything from what I've seen of Makoto Shinkai's films, and the Kara no Kyoukai movies. One that no one has mentioned that still stands out even today is Akira.

#NBHNC
Dec 9, 2008 2:52 PM

Aug 2008
Top class: Shinkai Makoto's works. Pale Cocoon looks very alike. Also very pleasant artwork you can find in Aria, Mushishi or Kino no Tabi. Maybe something in Gin'iro no Kami no Agito, Eve no Jikan or Mononoke Hime.
Ii tenki desu ne...
Dec 9, 2008 2:56 PM

Jul 2008
Neverender said:
Apparently you haven't watched Gankutsuou, Mushishi, Samurai X, or 5cm Per Second, so you should check those out if you like badass artwork (I'm aware this isn't a recommendation thread; just sayin').

Most recent movies are pretty insane (The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, Kara no Kyoukai, NGE Rebuild, Tekkon Kinkreet).

Samurai Champloo actually has some really beautiful scenes (such as the flashback of Mugen's past where he's in the jungle covered in blood. Very powerful scene).

I liked Kanon 2006 and True Tears' artwork as well. The environments in particular are nice. Kind of nostalgic somehow.

quirli said:

lol?

i agree especiall with samurai champloo and the girl who leapt through time
Dec 9, 2008 2:59 PM

Apr 2008
Most everything Ghibli, Mushishi, Samurai X, Samurai Champloo, 5 Centimeters per Second.
I kind of liked the style in Daker then BLACK, even though it's not fantastic.
I guess~ that's all I can think of.

Forgot Kino no Tabi! :)
Dec 9, 2008 3:14 PM

Aug 2008
Hmm.. CCS and Howl's Moving Castle get points for being very colorful and fanciful. Shamanic Princess gets style points. I also liked the designs and color palette used in Wolf's Rain.
Dec 9, 2008 3:23 PM

Apr 2008
KyoAni's the best for me.

Dec 9, 2008 3:45 PM

Feb 2008
For me it has to be things like 5 Centimeters per Second, Aria, ef - a Tale of Memories, Toki wo Kakeru Shoujo and some of the Ghibli films.

Also lol @ people saying Higurashi. I love Higurashi but come on now...the inconsistent animation, the often simple and poor illustrations. The art is by no means Higurashi's strong point.
Dec 9, 2008 3:54 PM

Feb 2008
Claymore.

“That which does not kill us makes us stronger.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Dec 9, 2008 3:58 PM
Nov 2008
5 centimeters per second has definitely the best animation.
Umm... others?
Wolf's Rain was pretty nice.
Vampire Knight has good art but personally I think the storylines gotten boring. ><
Dec 9, 2008 4:03 PM

Jun 2008
LucySky said:

Also lol @ people saying Higurashi. I love Higurashi but come on now...the inconsistent animation, the often simple and poor illustrations. The art is by no means Higurashi's strong point.

I agree.

I think Ef has the best artwork that I can think of right now
Dec 9, 2008 4:35 PM

Dec 2008
Since I started the thread...

I have not watched very much anime but,

I enjoyed the first season of Gunslinger Girl, as well as Air TV's animation.

I thought Serial Experiments Lain had a very interesting and strange animation style (all the telephone wires reminded me of Voice of a Distant Star).

Dec 9, 2008 6:09 PM

Jan 2008
Gunslinger Girl is decent, as is Ergo Proxy. Some of the scenes in Ergo Proxy look awesome, so vast yet so... desolate.
Also agree about Samurai Champloo, the first half of ep. 15 was really quite powerful.

EDIT: I'll also add Texhnolyze and the Ghost in the Shell series' and films. I just love the dark, gritty and somewhat realistic feel which these shows portray. I'll probably add Serial Experiments: Lain when I eventually watch it aswell as it seems to have a similar style.
SeasonreaperDec 14, 2008 12:08 PM
Dec 9, 2008 6:14 PM

Nov 2007
Kara no Kyoukai.

/thread.
Dec 9, 2008 6:22 PM

Jun 2008
Neverender said:

I would never put Toki wo Kakeru Shoujo down for best artwork, on account of the gimpy-looking way they drew all the characters. Yes, the backgrounds are stunning, but that just makes the characters all the more ugly in contrast.
Peace through Superior Firepower!

formosan said:
Are you using some kind of advanced logic I don't know about? Have you decided to assign new meanings to English words? Are you just intentionally burning a straw man and knowing full well that you're changing the subject and misrepresenting a claim?
Dec 9, 2008 6:26 PM

Apr 2007
I also agree w/ Samurai Champloo, 5cm per second, & Toki wo Kakeru Shoujo.
I think Michiko to Hatchin has pretty good animation and art, as well.

I also, personally, love Nana's animation and art style. :)

Dec 9, 2008 6:29 PM

Nov 2008
I really liked the art in Clannad and Vampire Knight. Especially the eyes.
Dec 9, 2008 6:40 PM

Jul 2007
I really liked Honey and Clover's art style. It felt fresh, hit me at the right time... etc.
Lucky star too, clean and simple, one of the reasons I like anime in the first place.

5cm/s of course has great visuals, and I can name a number others like this, but I won't.

Kara no kyoukai is just great, clean and crisp with detailed animation. Art style itself... feels a little standard. But it has some scenes that make use of very beautiful or interesting 'art'.
Dec 9, 2008 6:46 PM

May 2008
as far as art quality, you'll usually get better luck with movies and ova's as they get more budget per minute of animation. There have already been a lot of good recommendations, but I wanted mention J.C. Staff's Shakugan no Shana (especially parts second season), and their currently airing To Aru Majutsu no Index, both of which are not short crisp animation and plenty of difficult effects and explosions.

I am a banana.
Dec 9, 2008 10:45 PM

Dec 2007
hirahira said:
LucySky said:

I agree.
This is what is commonly (sorta) referred to as "Studio Deen" sickness, I'm currently watching Shion no Oh which has the same problem, most noticeably around in the latter teen episodes.

From the clips I've seen of Last Exile it has really good artwork too. Another old one is the original NGE, but they just kinda took the same animation and recycled it a lot.

#NBHNC
Dec 10, 2008 3:44 AM

Oct 2007
Ghost in the shell the detail is unlike you find anywhere else...

Also Pale Cocoon is amazing :o http://myanimelist.net/anime/770/Pale_Cocoon
Dec 10, 2008 3:47 AM

Sep 2007
Neverender said:
... Samurai Champloo actually has some really beautiful scenes (such as the flashback of Mugen's past where he's in the jungle covered in blood. Very powerful scene).

quirli said:

lol?

hellsing ova, btw is my opinion
Dec 10, 2008 4:03 AM

Feb 2008
Besides most of the titles mentioned (excluding Higurashi), i'm suprised nobody mention Death Note. Sure it can never beat 5cm per second or Kara no Kyoukai but i'm sure the animation was solid throughout the whole episode.

Honorable mention for me would be Aria the series. The scenery were very pleasing for my eyes.
Dec 10, 2008 4:13 AM

Mar 2008
There is a difference between good animation, and good artwork.

Mononoke, Gankutsuou, Mind Game, and Inaka Isha, have the best artwork imo.
Dec 10, 2008 4:34 AM

Feb 2008
Anything from Shinkai Makoto.
Anything from Manglobe.
Anything from Ghibli

Casshern, Kurenai, Bounen no Xamd, Kaiba....
Dec 10, 2008 5:34 AM

Oct 2008
For me it's Basilisk.
Dec 10, 2008 6:03 AM

Dec 2007
As for artwork, no doubt the crown goes to 5cm per second.
And all the KyoAni anime!
And I like the artwork in ef and True Tears (background) as well.
Dec 10, 2008 6:24 AM

Jul 2008
I'm shocked that I'm the first to mention both Karas and Vampire Hunter D- Bloodlust.

Karas had an exceptional mix of elaborate, dark 3D computer animation with life-like, detailed 2D animations, all splashed with a unique and vibrant color pattern.

As for Vampire Hunter D- Bloodlust, let me just say that it's the only anime which managed to entertain and amaze me with its floor patterns inside a mansion. The chiaroscuro made me feel like I was watching a montage of paintings, the sudden use of bright colors was insane, and the detail on some of the fight scenes made me feel like my eyes were having sex.
Dec 10, 2008 6:52 AM

Jul 2008
Both ef series. Shaft doesn't half-ass on any of the scenes. Each scene gives me something else to go "awww" about.

Anything by Kyoto Animation. They definitely go all out in their series. Nothing as beautiful as ef though, just above average.
Dec 10, 2008 11:07 AM

Nov 2008
Most of the Studio Ghibli movies
Everything from Ghost in the Shell series
Samurai Champloo
Mushi shi
Cowboy Bebop
Heroic Age
Baccano!
Eureka Seven
RahXephon
Zegapain (not the best storyline though -.-'')
Dec 10, 2008 11:40 AM

May 2008
GITS Innocence (As well as SAC) was pretty top-notch on the visuals... as were appleseed 2004 and 2007, aside from the people (Expressions on faces and what not make the 2.5d thing not very good for animated people right now IMO).

Example of GITS innocence -

Kaiba was artistic and unique and very colorful..

Karas has very good art as well even if I can't get into the story right now..
hikkyDec 10, 2008 11:44 AM
Dec 10, 2008 12:48 PM

Apr 2007
For best overall artwork, I'll give it to Mononoke and Hakaba Kitarou (same art director = similar art direction = awesome).

For background artwork, Mushishi, 5 Centimeters per Second and Miyazaki's movies.

For character designs, not sure. That kind of depends.
Dec 10, 2008 4:58 PM

Dec 2007
hikky said:

Seeing this in an actual movie theater is probably the greatest movie-going experience of my life.

#NBHNC
Dec 10, 2008 5:24 PM

Mar 2008
Everything by Makoto Shinkai and his studio are stunning!

I prefer Tsubasa Chronicle's art in the TV series much more than the OAVs. Crucify me if you want to.

Air TV has some stunning art and color designs and Kanon 06 looks beyond breathtaking (I haven't seen very much beyond episode 1)

Ghibli is nice but I personally don't like their art style. I love their films regardless though.

The Girl Who Leapt Through Time- ehh no....The art is really bland

.hack always has exceptional art work in all it's forms

Higurashi-yeah right.

My Channel Anime Reviews, Unboxings and More
Drak Shadow For LetsPlays and Movie Vlogs
Dec 10, 2008 6:07 PM

Nov 2007
Casshern Sins<3
ef - a tale of memories/ef - a tale of melodies
Anything from Shinkai Makoto(5 Centimeters per Second, The Place Promised in Our Early Days etc.)
Mononoke
Samurai Champloo
Nana
Clannad/Air/Kanon 2006
Mushishi
Vampire Knight
True Tears
And I don’t know why but I also like the very simple Bokura ga Ita artwork...

Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» thoughts on users that have a mean score of below 5?

deg - Yesterday

16 by APolygons2 »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » Your favourite genre with predominantly female cast?

Sanjay63773 - 4 hours ago

8 by Vaturna »»
12 minutes ago

» Best OG waifu (before year 2000) 😻 ( 1 2 )

flowstate - Apr 16, 2020

54 by Serafos »»
12 minutes ago

» Great Anime that have 5 seasons or more that is underwatched.

RjtheGreat14 - 7 hours ago

15 by Yonahim_Zz »»
21 minutes ago

» Anime you would watch if it never ended

ST63LTH - 9 hours ago

17 by Akenjah »»
29 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.