Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Chihayafuru
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Feb 2, 2013 10:06 PM

Nov 2007
fiore777 said:
I have realized the only other series that gives me the depths of feeling like this this season is Uchuu Kyoudai. But that's okay, they are extraordinary.

Gaaah~ I am still so behind in that one! Absolutely love that anime too!
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Feb 3, 2013 4:07 AM

Jul 2011
I'm the only one who is not watching this show for the romance?

Great episode btw, the matches are getting more intense and Arata is coming to Tokyo! I can't wait.
Feb 3, 2013 6:13 AM
Apr 2011
Hi. Can somebody explain to me the meaning of Taichi's words? It's about:
"I feel embarrassed about losing, so I run off to tournaments far away in secret."

I'm not very good in english and I'm not sure do I understand it correctly. I've checked the translations of Horriblesubs, Commie and DeadFish, and all of them translated it in exactly the same way. I'd be glad if someone could describe it some other way. Two, three sentences, please :P
Feb 3, 2013 7:18 AM

May 2010
Now that was fun..
Feb 3, 2013 9:18 AM

Sep 2012
Solaraa said:
Hi. Can somebody explain to me the meaning of Taichi's words? It's about:
"I feel embarrassed about losing, so I run off to tournaments far away in secret."

I'm not very good in english and I'm not sure do I understand it correctly. I've checked the translations of Horriblesubs, Commie and DeadFish, and all of them translated it in exactly the same way. I'd be glad if someone could describe it some other way. Two, three sentences, please :P

To improve your rank in Karuta you must win tournaments. Since he cannot win many tournaments at home in Tokyo he must go elsewhere to try and win and rank up. He is the president of the Karuta club so he is embarrassed that he needs to go to such extreme measures to rank up when Chihayafuru seems to win easily and is already at the A ranking.
Feb 3, 2013 9:47 AM

Dec 2012
ainky said:
I'm the only one who is not watching this show for the romance?

Great episode btw, the matches are getting more intense and Arata is coming to Tokyo! I can't wait.

Lol there is no romance in the show just a bunch of fans fantasizing about thier desired couple who are never gonna get together haha....
Feb 3, 2013 9:51 AM
Apr 2011
hpulley said:
To improve your rank in Karuta you must win tournaments. Since he cannot win many tournaments at home in Tokyo he must go elsewhere to try and win and rank up. He is the president of the Karuta club so he is embarrassed that he needs to go to such extreme measures to rank up when Chihayafuru seems to win easily and is already at the A ranking.

Thanks a lot! xD
I misinterpreted that. I've got no idea, that playing at the Kyoto and Hiroshima tournaments was a secret.
Feb 3, 2013 9:56 AM

Sep 2011
tsudecimo said:
ainky said:
I'm the only one who is not watching this show for the romance? Great episode btw, the matches are getting more intense and Arata is coming to Tokyo! I can't wait.
Lol there is no romance in the show just a bunch of fans fantasizing about thier desired couple who are never gonna get together haha....
There is romance in the series. Granted, the characters aren't all over each other - it's more of a "crush." The girl with the pigtails focuses on love and claims that she won't give up on Taichi. Also, Taichi practically admits he loves Chihaya through the few "monologues" he had. It also has been suggested that Chihaya greatly looks up to Arata and Taichi is a bit distressed by this because he doesn't want Chihaya to be taken from him. The romance isn't the main focus of the series - but it's tossed in there.
"Cheer up, you’re never alone! There is probably at least 1 bug in your room."
Feb 3, 2013 10:10 AM

Dec 2012
gigglingidiot said:
tsudecimo said:
ainky said:
I'm the only one who is not watching this show for the romance? Great episode btw, the matches are getting more intense and Arata is coming to Tokyo! I can't wait.
There is romance in the series. Granted, the characters aren't all over each other - it's more of a "crush." The girl with the pigtails focuses on love and claims that she won't give up on Taichi. Also, Taichi practically admits he loves Chihaya through the few "monologues" he had. It also has been suggested that Chihaya greatly looks up to Arata and Taichi is a bit distressed by this because he doesn't want Chihaya to be taken from him. The romance isn't the main focus of the series - but it's tossed in there.

Those are called hints of romance they exist even in ecchi anime, well the manga is ongoing so maybe the author has a dramtic ending in mind as for the anime people should give up if thier watching for a hope of a romantic development between characters.
Feb 3, 2013 10:55 AM
Mar 2012
River-Chan said:
I laughed so much when they all through their towels at Taichi XD
That was priceless, really.

I loved having another Taichi-centered episode. So far the best in this season, imo.
What makes Taichi interesting and likeable is that he's amazing - but he doesn't see it. And in a way that's good, because otherwise he'd be really conceited.
Feb 3, 2013 4:50 PM

Feb 2009
tsudecimo said:

Those are called hints of romance they exist even in ecchi anime, well the manga is ongoing so maybe the author has a dramtic ending in mind as for the anime people should give up if thier watching for a hope of a romantic development between characters.

So there is no romance yet we've had scenes like this,

And this,

And the little "misty bridge" scene right at the very beginning of this episode, with Arata talking about their bond.

It isn't a romance series, but there IS definitely romance.

It is entirely possible that it may get an anime original ending, I highly doubt this will be getting another season unless sales really pick up (Although, I never dared to hope for a second season, so we never know). I watch it for the character development and the Kurata, but the romance is a perfectly welcome addition and I personally love the relationship between the main 3.
Feb 3, 2013 5:36 PM

Jun 2008
This series is truly beautiful. Even if the romance is unrequited I would still support this series 100% since their friendship already worth our time and tears!

Just give me Taichi afterward though. I'll take him anytime. :)
Feb 3, 2013 10:16 PM

Mar 2012
give me a towel =))

you guys seem too interested in Taichi

just as I do :lol:

no doubt that Chihayafuru is the best show in this damn year, I love it so much
by the way, threesome Arata x Chihaya x Taichi, another shoujo show about their relationship ;)) please
Feb 4, 2013 6:06 AM

Jan 2008
LOL at the towels thrown at Taichi when he asked. Damn, that was fun.

And oh so sweet..Taichi only used the towel from Chihaya. I can't helped myself from grinning, even while typing this right now. ^_^ Me too~ I can give my towel to you Taichi anytime any day. :D

Overall, this is a great episode which focus more on Taichi, on his flaws, and on his strength.
Feb 5, 2013 3:13 PM

Oct 2010
What a delicious episode, such a wonderful anime.
Even though i'm one rooting for Chihaya x Arata, there's no way to deny the fact that Taichi is an amazingly deep character.

The popular towel scene ilustrated so perfectly what he said to Sumire when he previously left the train, about ultimately wanting to pick his loved one by himself instead of just casually accepting one of the ones throwing themselves at him, and so there he was, getting towels thrown at him, but after feeling his heart flutter when he noticed Chihaya offering her own towel, he slowly but confidently chose her towel, as if he was declaring "you're the one".

All of this shows how much Taichi has grown up as a human being. No longer that sneaky trickster kid who constantly did mean illed things against Arata after Arata himself opened Taichi's eyes, no longer that teenager who just dates some random girl just because "why not?".

Taichi reminds me a lot of Dragon Ball's Vegita, in the sense that he's always staggering a bit behind his big talented rival, and as he grows out of envy and into admiration, he tries to overcome this obstacle no longer with nasty tricks but with sheer will power, dedication, determination and his strongest tool, his superb thought processes.

I just finished catching up with this, marathon style, and it's one of those shows that already hurt a good bit to suddenly slow down to 1 episode per week and will definetly leave my soul hollow for awhile after it ends v_v, kinda like Honey & Clover and its cast did. So happy this will last another 2 coeur on season 2.

Arata's request to his parents, seems a bit obvious that it'll be to move out so he can go back to meeting Chihaya and of course, the gang on a regular basis, but with anime you never know, i'll keep my fingers crossed.
Feb 5, 2013 10:59 PM

Jun 2008
Freakin' FINALLY something GOOD happened with Taichi. Go away, Arata -_-
Feb 6, 2013 4:06 AM
Oct 2011
Finally caught up, and this is the first time I feel a Chihayafuru episode is a disappointment. Taichi in this episode especially got on my nerves with how annoying he's becoming, I wanted to throw a friggin' refrigerator on him instead of a towel.

This show seriously needs more Arata.

fiore777 said:
I have realized the only other series that gives me the depths of feeling like this this season is Uchuu Kyoudai. But that's okay, they are extraordinary.
Yeah, I noticed that when I started with Chihayafuru. The feels in Uchuu Kyoudai are still better and more effective imo, but still, both shows are great.
Candor123Feb 6, 2013 4:11 AM
Feb 6, 2013 4:58 AM

Dec 2012
Candor said:
Finally caught up, and this is the first time I feel a Chihayafuru episode is a disappointment. Taichi in this episode especially got on my nerves with how annoying he's becoming, I wanted to throw a friggin' refrigerator on him instead of a towel.

lol never thought someone felt the same , even though arata is MC he gets less screen time than some support characters what the hell ._. !!!
i don't hate taichi but was never a fan.
Feb 6, 2013 7:44 AM

Jul 2011
tsudecimo said:
Candor said:

lol never thought someone felt the same , even though arata is MC he gets less screen time than some support characters what the hell ._. !!!
i don't hate taichi but was never a fan.

Ok, here I have to agree with you guys. +1
Feb 7, 2013 4:15 PM
Sep 2012
The ladies sure were making it rain...towels.
Feb 23, 2013 11:29 PM

Feb 2010
shymel said:
The ladies sure were making it rain...towels.

lol I see what you did there.
Mar 10, 2013 4:53 AM

Apr 2010
itsvero said:
Dat Chihaya handing Taichi the towel. Hnnnnnnnnggggggg.

hpulley said:

Chihaya x Arata, Taichi x Sumire, problems solved LOL

Fuck. No. It's Chihaya x Taichi and Arata x Shinobu.

AGREE!!! AraShin & TaChi FTW!!! *^*
❝ᴍᴀɢɪᴄ sᴛᴀʏs ᴡʜᴇɴ ᴍʏᴛʜ ʀᴇᴍᴀɪɴs. I'ᴍ ᴜɴᴅᴇʀ ʏᴏᴜʀ sᴘᴇʟʟ, ᴅᴏɴ'ᴛ ʀᴇʟᴇᴀsᴇ ᴍᴇ❞
Mar 17, 2013 11:32 PM

Jul 2009
amazing episode as always :D

Arata's parents!!

i wonder what Arata's wish is once he wins he's highschool tournament :D

poor Sumire, tachi not accepting her offer .__.

at least porky can eat all your sweets!!

that Hiroshi using dirty tricks!!!!!!

Taichi is pissed at him!!

aww Taichi has always bad luck at things!!

damn air conditioner!!

even the girls notices it!!

lol your BS techniques won't work now that Chihaya has completely focus on Karuta!!

what the hell is wrong with Taichi's opponent O____O

your losing your cool calm down!!

why the hell does always the mizusawa team gets the super hot treatment?!?!

it happened last season, it happened again. could it be taichi's bad luck XD

i laugh at the towel scene XD

it's like they already know how BADLY Taichi wants a towel and was just waiting for his signal XD

Taichi in high concentration mode!!

lol how does Taichi memorize this whole things XD

woo all the girls flocking to Taichi!!!

the boys are soo jealous :P

why is Chihaya still focus on Class A player XD

woo another rematch with Hokuo!!!

retro kun is gonna get a beat down XD

Chihaya and Mizusawa team will beat you once more!!!

just as Harada says, it's not that Taichi doesn't have the skill, it's just that he focuses too much on his team mates rather than trusting them to do well on their own.

as everyone does well, everyone wins.

"Team match is an individual match, a Individual match is a team match"

im glad Taichi finally realizes it!!!

i freaking love the music when Taichi was on a roll, especially with the flute sound :)

amazing stuff!!!

can't wait for next episode :D
May 14, 2013 3:54 PM

Jan 2013
^Stop double spacing and using so many emoticons and exclamation marks.
Hopefully there's some actual romantic development this season.
May 25, 2013 5:21 AM

Jun 2011
Wow Taichi is so unlucky.. I really want him to be upgraded already!! Arata where are you? ): Oh by the way Hakuou isn't a Kyoto's school? Oh my guess of Arata being with them is invalid then
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
May 26, 2013 12:02 PM

Nov 2008
Yees, the towel scene. Shipping it.
Jun 21, 2013 11:24 PM

Sep 2011
My heart skipped a beat when Chihaya lunged over to give Taichi a towel. <3
Jul 2, 2013 8:24 PM

May 2012
Awesome episode again, the towel scene was pretty funny and the way even Chihaya offered him a towel was quite cute! Good to go that Taichi still won the match with that crazy girl :p
May 19, 2014 7:43 AM

Nov 2011
5/5

Episode that shows how difficult it is to keep even the achievements. The plot shows that: never trust appearances.
Narration quite addictive, do not get bored in this series, while reliving the same situations sometimes.
Drawing equally good animations. I'm also curious to find out what you want Arata, it seems that this season, will love much more predominant than the past.
Mashima has to be careful, it attracts too much attention! ASD
May 19, 2014 9:17 PM
Bunnies 🍓

Jan 2013
The A/C breaking at the worst possible time, but good thing Taichi won at the end.

Oct 17, 2014 10:05 AM

Mar 2013
Aaaah I totally loved that mental thing going on.
Mar 12, 2015 11:12 AM
Sep 2009
Gotta love the towel scene XD
Mar 15, 2015 3:24 PM

Oct 2013
Taichi finally stopped being distracted with everything around him and play well. Dr. always has great advices... I just hope Chihaya will get together with someone/anyone soon :)
Apr 6, 2015 4:57 PM
Oct 2014
Oh man thank god Taichi caught a break.
Apr 23, 2015 1:35 PM

Mar 2015
The pure joy I feel with every episode and the worrisome dolor I feel about the sluggish end...
We're just the boys and girls that think they always know...
May 24, 2015 5:51 PM

Aug 2012
For some reason the regional tournament arcs are my favorite, both in season 1 and in season 2 so far. There's a certain charm to them.
Oct 20, 2015 12:54 AM

Mar 2012
Chihaya continues to give mixed signals >_>
Nov 10, 2015 5:44 AM
May 2015
At least we got to see Arata for 1:30 minute. I hope that Arata will play against Taichi and Chihaya in the national.
Nov 14, 2015 1:52 PM

Feb 2010
Kurogashi said:
this guy finally caught a break holy.
+1 haha

Jan 3, 2016 4:07 PM
Anti-social One

Mar 2013
Everyone's kyaaing about the towels, and I just want to know ... did Chiya use it first?
Jan 13, 2016 2:23 PM
Dec 2014
That towel scene... beautiful.
Jan 31, 2016 6:36 AM

Mar 2014
Just to compliment something , ED is Winsome ~ !!
Cellphone are awesome ~ !! Arata with an appealing CP ~ .
Being meticulously-minded means great endurance . I'm positive about Taichi .
Completely off the script .. It's a gonna be a rough match ~ . MIZUSAWA !!
Ganbare Minna ~ !! especially, Taichi-kun !! You have it . Stop thinking 'others' .
Moreover , That is some nasty tricks . Mental fitness is the centre of it .
VERY GREAT EPISODE . HARD-WORK Tops it all ~ !! I know that he can do it .
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 20, 2016 5:16 AM

Jan 2016
dimanganime said:
What a delicious episode, such a wonderful anime.
Even though i'm one rooting for Chihaya x Arata, there's no way to deny the fact that Taichi is an amazingly deep character.

The popular towel scene ilustrated so perfectly what he said to Sumire when he previously left the train, about ultimately wanting to pick his loved one by himself instead of just casually accepting one of the ones throwing themselves at him, and so there he was, getting towels thrown at him, but after feeling his heart flutter when he noticed Chihaya offering her own towel, he slowly but confidently chose her towel, as if he was declaring "you're the one".

All of this shows how much Taichi has grown up as a human being. No longer that sneaky trickster kid who constantly did mean illed things against Arata after Arata himself opened Taichi's eyes, no longer that teenager who just dates some random girl just because "why not?".

Taichi reminds me a lot of Dragon Ball's Vegita, in the sense that he's always staggering a bit behind his big talented rival, and as he grows out of envy and into admiration, he tries to overcome this obstacle no longer with nasty tricks but with sheer will power, dedication, determination and his strongest tool, his superb thought processes.

I just finished catching up with this, marathon style, and it's one of those shows that already hurt a good bit to suddenly slow down to 1 episode per week and will definetly leave my soul hollow for awhile after it ends v_v, kinda like Honey & Clover and its cast did. So happy this will last another 2 coeur on season 2.

Arata's request to his parents, seems a bit obvious that it'll be to move out so he can go back to meeting Chihaya and of course, the gang on a regular basis, but with anime you never know, i'll keep my fingers crossed.

wow i didnt really think of that towel in that way, but it could be.. really.. since that's what he really waited from Chihaya.. thanks for the insight.
Oct 29, 2016 10:38 AM

Dec 2014
the tournament continues.... It unusual how even the beginners can intimidate them if they were taught by their senpai
Apr 24, 2017 3:08 AM

Feb 2013
They are really unlucky lol, the only AC who didn't work was only their one, they won the match though, the final is next!
Apr 27, 2017 2:32 PM

Feb 2008
A heartwarming episode! The scene of Mashima's acquaintances, Ayase included, offering their towels to him was truly touching.
Jul 12, 2017 1:17 AM

Feb 2016
Wearing hakama is a real pain in the ass. I think if they tried to force Hokuo school to wear that, it would be promptly shot down.

Originally the Karuta team was desperate for members, so they had to acquiesce to wearing it for every tournament (usally only worn in the masters for defending champions and and contenders).

I don't wanna be an asshole, but now, they have the members and a strong team, but to not affect team unity, the entire team is suffering to make one team member happy...
Nothing can happen until you swing the bat.
Sep 4, 2017 10:14 AM

Nov 2016
Lol @ Chihaya being insecure and the creepy girl xD

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Nov 25, 2017 8:21 PM

Feb 2015
Arata's wish - to return to his friends - yay! Loved Chihaya when she freaked out about getting hit on. One of the strengths of this show is how human every character is - as perfect as Taichi can appear he has his self-doubt that impedes his progress and makes him less than perfect and so likeable because of it.

Dec 26, 2017 5:10 AM

Aug 2017
Thank God Taichi could win. His opponent was quite dangerous.

This was another beautiful episode. 5/5
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Chihayafuru 2 Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 12, 2013

138 by bassyey »»
Mar 16, 10:06 PM

Poll: » Chihayafuru 2 Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - May 31, 2013

160 by fathandz »»
Feb 17, 11:50 PM

Poll: » Chihayafuru 2 Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 24, 2013

136 by fathandz »»
Feb 15, 4:12 PM

Poll: » Chihayafuru 2 Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - May 17, 2013

181 by fathandz »»
Feb 11, 3:38 AM

Poll: » Chihayafuru 2 Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 10, 2013

110 by fathandz »»
Feb 7, 9:16 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.