Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Apr 28, 2013 9:30 PM

Jul 2009
Saki is quite an insufferable lead.
May 8, 2013 9:33 PM

Mar 2012
While Squealer was up to something, I can tell where the story writer got his inspiration for this episode/volume. Noting what Squealer said about democracy, it's obvious that he was referring to the "ancient civilization" or in this case, our present day, or at least 70 years ago. When Japan began modernizing itself in terms of government, or rather being obedient to the Allied forces when they granted Japan sovereignty if the Emperor was stripped of his powers and democracy was implanted in his place. Much like the Queen of that colony being stripped of her powers and being nothing more but a latent "figurehead" to provide the backbone of the colony, but can no longer mandate what the citizens do. This anime is one of the best I've seen thus far, you can really think about a lot of different things and connect them to our own world's history.

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment"
May 8, 2013 11:08 PM

Jan 2011
Venom900 said:
While Squealer was up to something, I can tell where the story writer got his inspiration for this episode/volume. Noting what Squealer said about democracy, it's obvious that he was referring to the "ancient civilization" or in this case, our present day, or at least 70 years ago. When Japan began modernizing itself in terms of government, or rather being obedient to the Allied forces when they granted Japan sovereignty if the Emperor was stripped of his powers and democracy was implanted in his place. Much like the Queen of that colony being stripped of her powers and being nothing more but a latent "figurehead" to provide the backbone of the colony, but can no longer mandate what the citizens do. This anime is one of the best I've seen thus far, you can really think about a lot of different things and connect them to our own world's history.

Many of us have noted (at least, on Animesuki) that there are lots of parallels with wartime Japan, like the metaphor that the cantus users are walking nuclear bombs, the burnt villages and post atomic bomb-like imagery, and a loosely tied Allied invaders vs native Japanese conflict, etc.

I've posted elsewhere about the Queen-Emperor connection, but you're probably right that this is the intended reference (plus, I get a confirmation that somebody else thinks this too!).
May 9, 2013 8:55 PM

Mar 2012
Luxorcist said:

Many of us have noted (at least, on Animesuki) that there are lots of parallels with wartime Japan, like the metaphor that the cantus users are walking nuclear bombs, the burnt villages and post atomic bomb-like imagery, and a loosely tied Allied invaders vs native Japanese conflict, etc.

I've posted elsewhere about the Queen-Emperor connection, but you're probably right that this is the intended reference (plus, I get a confirmation that somebody else thinks this too!).

Yeah, after watching up to episode 17 so far I can see a lot of WWII plot references.

I really like this anime a lot, to me it's almost like a blend of the books "The Giver" and "Animal Farm".

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment"
May 10, 2013 12:25 AM

Jan 2011
Venom900 said:
Luxorcist said:

Yeah, after watching up to episode 17 so far I can see a lot of WWII plot references.

I really like this anime a lot, to me it's almost like a blend of the books "The Giver" and "Animal Farm".

After you finish the series, you'll see that Hitler isn't the best parallel for Squealor. A much better connection would be to the Alllies, if you absolutely want it WWII-related, or the Black Panther Party, etc.
May 10, 2013 8:57 PM

Mar 2012
Luxorcist said:

After you finish the series, you'll see that Hitler isn't the best parallel for Squealor. A much better connection would be to the Alllies, if you absolutely want it WWII-related, or the Black Panther Party, etc.

It's tough to say, what Squealer is doing is more like being a revolutionist therefore I think in terms of WW2, it's a mix of different things, rather than my previously stated opinion. I'm only 5 episodes from completion, so maybe I'll see your point thereafter.

May 16, 2013 7:51 PM

Jan 2013
Fckng Squealer. Heh
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Jun 19, 2013 3:54 PM
Mar 2013
The hell's this violence is necessary buncha crap?
More importantly, why are Saki and Satoru being such pushovers to these crazy rats?
Jul 2, 2013 9:10 AM

Apr 2013
Looks like Squealer is becoming a big boss. I wonder where did they get all this knowledge ?
Aug 15, 2013 10:33 AM

Jul 2012
lobotomy? seriously? o.ò
Aug 20, 2013 5:25 PM

Feb 2013
So they performed brain surgery on the queen...
Sep 20, 2013 5:33 PM

Nov 2012
wow squealer is back :3
but what happen with the queen.. oh okay I guess.. I dont really like the queen after all -_-
btw that war armor.. is that samurai?!
Oct 8, 2013 5:56 AM

Dec 2012
I get that the show wants to pin Squealer as the antagonist for now, but the set up really stupid. Why were Sataru and Saki so god damn insistent on meeting the queen? It was just uncharacteristic considering their last encounter wasn't at all pleasant, not to mention Squealer straight up told them that the Diet makes all the decisions. Seeing Saki smile fondly at the queen just felt contrived as fuck. And then Sataru was acting like overthrowing a queen who randomly eats her children is morally wrong, what...

Squealer may be cruel and manipulative, but there's nothing wrong with overthrowing an insane queen, and it irks me that the show combined that fact with "suspenseful music" to create "foreshadowing".
Jan 10, 2014 2:22 PM

Jun 2012
I really like Squealer. I liked how it always that he had his own agenda and was slier than he let on, but always played the role of a grovelling inferior creature. Now the mask has really come off.
Shoot first, think never.
Jan 11, 2014 7:10 AM

Nov 2011
5/5

While making a first glance, the vision being relentlessly tedious slow almost more than a slice of life, the plot wastes no time in telling the facts.
Narrative interestingly enough, those cute little pets are ready to make the shoes algi humans, who seem to have the ham slices on the eyes! XD
The guy I've always liked the least, anyone who shows too much inclined to thank and praise almost always hides a slimy character! D:
More and more curious to see how the story will end! * _ *
Apr 28, 2014 4:12 PM

Aug 2013
Woah, the queerats have evolved so much to a point where they look similar to human. They did said that because of the Juryoku, species around tend to evolve faster. That's a huge treat, they are farming an army. They may be in term of power way inferior, they could still try a rebellion since they are essencial to human as slaves.

Dat preview... This show will end so badly I fear :/
Saki have too much responsability on her shoulder, I fear that she become insensitive at one point as a self protection. Everything is slowly falling from her hands, she will not be able to save a single one.
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
Jun 1, 2014 7:49 AM

Jul 2013
fuck rats again i hate those rats, and i don't trust squealer
it's just hilarious when the rats are discussing xD
still hoping for some contact with the other parts of mankind
Jun 15, 2014 6:39 PM

Nov 2012
Squealer is probably foreshadowing a rebellion against humankind. It doesn't sound like a good idea, but that's what I believe is going on in his mind.
Jul 7, 2014 4:04 PM

Jan 2014
Satoru and Saki always seem to end up in the thick of it, and I agree that the roots of a rebellion seem to be brewing.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Jul 19, 2014 2:24 PM

Jun 2009
I think Satoru is very much right, it seems to me as though Squealer is intending to do "something". At the least he seems to be using the two of them to take over that colony, he doesn't seem to have any peaceful intentions as he was *really* pushing them to attack. I originally thought he intended to outright slaughter the colony, but if he is intneding to accumulate forces that would do him no good. Using the "gods" powers to help get a force to eventually overthrow them is pretty smart if that is indeed his plan. His talk about the queen was pretty interesting, and is probably a big part of why Satoru has grown suspicious.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Aug 2, 2014 1:40 AM

Feb 2011
squealer seems to know far too much, maybe it's true that he managed to capture a minoshino, maybe now he knows even more than what saki and the others know

thinking about it, with all the humans living enclosed in small villages that leaves a lot of free space outside, even if it may be contamined by unconscious PK redirected by the barriers, with all that space queerats could do anything
their numers are already above those of the humans living in japan

Fixes to make the Profile more bearable after "the Modern★Profile★Update★★Rip★Profile★"
Nov 19, 2014 9:44 AM
Dec 2013
those damm rats haha I like Squealer though seems like a real smart rat
now it also makes more sense why we had those seemingly random episodes with the rats before
I'm seeing a war between the rats and humans in the future
Jan 17, 2015 11:57 AM

Sep 2011
Wow.. This squealer character is giving me the chills. He is too human for sure. His schemes, his speech, his sycophantic behavior are all too eerie. I see what he's saying about the queen though, with democracy and shit.

Satoru may be right...
"Justice Never Dies!" - Kenji Endou, 20th century Boys
Mar 2, 2015 11:29 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Can we trust Squealers version of event regarding the Queen and the other colonies? I think not. I think he's a pretty unreliable character at this point and probably plotting something nasty against his masters.

I still do not get why Maria would sacrifice her own life for Mamoru. Friendship? Motherly instinct? I just have a hard time believing her having romantic feelings for him. If so, it was extremely underdeveloped storywise.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Apr 13, 2015 9:57 AM

Jan 2014
It was nice to see Squealer again x)
But I have no idea where this is going,
and I hope something huge will happen soon ;)
Apr 24, 2015 1:53 AM

Oct 2013
So the monster rats are essentially lobotomizing their queens. Awesome.

The monster rats are one of the best parts of this series, TBH. I feel like every episode they're in improves the episode. Aside from simply being entertaining, they present an interesting counterpart to the humans.

It should come as a surprise to precisely no one that Squealer is using them and hiding his motives. Didn't he do the exact same thing when they first met him before the timeskip?

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
May 9, 2015 8:59 PM

Jun 2014
queerrats have similar bones to humans. hmm. possible evidence for the theory that queerrats were humans that didnt have cantus power.
May 10, 2015 2:07 AM

Oct 2011
Meh Squealer is annoying as hell
May 17, 2015 5:48 PM
Feb 2011
It's pathetic how Saki and Satoru just let themselfs be used as they do even when they know damn well it's happening. They know full well that they don't have to use any force to find their friends. Plot is a powerful thing I tell you.

Also what does Maria see in Mamoru anyways? I can not find a single good thing about him. He is a patheticly weak crybaby who wouldn't even help a friend in need. He isn't really all that nice either.

This anime is just starting to annoy me.
May 21, 2015 8:07 AM
Sleepy

Nov 2014
Squealer reminded me of rulers of absolutis monarchies in Europe - it was said that they were first after the God. He said something similar in this episode. Intriguing
Jun 9, 2015 11:49 PM

Jan 2010
What measure is human? What measure is an intelligent creature? Whose interests does democracy serve? Is lobotomizing someone violently insane morally ethical? What use are questions of morals and ethics of two groups with completely different interests?

Shinsekai yori is certainly going places. Also, I must admit, when democracy was brought up, I laughed. I laughed again when Satoru commented on the queerrats being too similar to humans. I just didn't expect shots to be fired like that.

Lastly, I find it interesting that nuclear weapons were brought up in previous episodes, and suddenly we have the queerrats learning lost human technology. Even if nothing comes of this, it's a great thought.
Jul 6, 2015 12:04 AM
Dec 2011
i really feel so saki and satoru they lose their friends and their memories one after another.. but maria and mamoru leaving a letter bugs me ... think about it they left the hut and clean their tracks so quickly did they had time to write when they knew people would come after them...

the real question here is did someone did something to them and made them write the letter so saki and satoru give up or did maria and mamoru actually wrote the letter and was able to live?

i don't know something doesn't seem write, tomiko basically said to saki that the education comity wont give up until they execute the kids and will use every power to do so ,,, so where can mamoru and maria can escape to???? this is so bad i do hope mamoru and maria are okay i really do :3
Sep 27, 2015 5:38 AM

Jan 2013
Squealer has his own agenda and is doing some questionable things to further his own colony.
It could be true that he got a false minoshiro somewhere, that would explain their concrete building.

Interesting way its going with the queerats.
Oct 31, 2015 9:26 AM

Mar 2015
If they make a time skip to the era when the queerats could produce hydrogen bombs, then I'd be like WHAAAAT!!!??????

Nov 1, 2015 12:43 PM

Mar 2015
GuidedCursor said:
If they make a time skip to the era when the queerats could produce hydrogen bombs, then I'd be like WHAAAAT!!!??????

I came back from episode 17. And now, I'm afraid of what I've said.

Nov 1, 2015 1:17 PM

Feb 2013
GuidedCursor said:
GuidedCursor said:

they found smth better than hydogen bombs XD
My favorite quotes from animes:

Those who seek miracles will never experience one. The hand of salvation only extends to people
who try to make miracles happen. - Ef a tale of melodies.
I destroy worlds. I create worlds. - Code geass
We are humans. - Shinsekai yori
100 push-ups, 100 sit-ups, 100 squats, and a 10km run EVERY SINGLE DAY!!! - One punch man
Nov 2, 2015 5:21 AM

Mar 2015
Smooki said:
GuidedCursor said:

they found smth better than hydogen bombs XD

I'm just back from EP 18.
masaka!!??
KotobakayaroNov 2, 2015 6:21 AM

Nov 8, 2015 10:52 AM
Jul 2014
I really hate that Squealer... I simply can't trust him... He sounds like fake, like he's always lying... :/
Jan 5, 2016 10:11 PM

Sep 2013
Kill Squealer omfg. He didn't start being "bad" or "corrupted" this episode ffs.
Jan 22, 2016 11:13 AM

Sep 2015
Omg, kill Squealer before it lays eggs!!!!!
Feb 25, 2016 7:21 PM

Aug 2014
Oh Finally, an episode that has the same atmosphere as the first 5 episodes, It seems like the events are more interesting when they are with the queerats.
Also Squealer seems wicked, i like this kind of characters in dark mysterious world.
Excellent Episode.
Feb 27, 2016 8:27 PM
Aug 2014
I strongly get the feeling Squeeler is manipulating Satoru and Saki to use them for his monster rat wars just like the first time.
Mar 6, 2016 10:16 PM

Jan 2016
Entravity said:
I always thought the queerats or whatever were too similar to humans. I didn't trust squealer before and I certainly don't trust it now. Great episode, lots of suspense and atmosphere. Next one looks great as well.

The best thing here is that you called squealer an "it." He is so low he doesn't event deserve to have a proper pronoun.
“Don't think about what you need to do. Just follow your desires.” - Aoi Ryuuhei (Baby Steps)
Mar 29, 2016 1:24 PM

Mar 2010
I always thought Squealer was pretty shady. I have to say I don't regret watching this anime, it's fucking perfect.
Apr 2, 2016 6:14 AM
May 2012
Damn, Shogun Squealer. Calm the fuck down, man ahahaha.
Satoru is pretty smart. He looks so much like Yukine. Both are voiced by Kaji.
Apr 28, 2016 2:33 PM

Sep 2015
Probably the most intriguing and revealing episode since the big information dump near the start of the series. If not for the somewhat shabby execution throughout, this could be an amazing series.

Interesting to note how different Squealer is when he talks with Saki and Satoru. At the start he was a pathetic mess, garbling his words out. Now, he speaks without any fear or hesitation at all. He's clearly planning on usurping humans.
The intellectual and technological advantages the Robber Fly colony has is clearly turning them into a warmongering colony. Now that they're no longer a small, throwaway group they're exerting their force over everyone else. Something troublesome is certainly afoot.
It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether!
It's an entirely different kind of flying.
May 17, 2016 6:12 PM
Dec 2014
I like squealer. He's always looking out for number one. He may look like a rat but he acts very human, plans within plans. He's got ideas.

Like him more than the village of child killers and mental slaves.
Jul 27, 2016 6:38 AM

May 2016
Oh, Squealer. Your fashion taste might look awesome, but it's soooo 19th century.

His militaristic ideals and the lobotomizing of their mum on the other hand are basically what not to follow from the 20th century. I expect Squealer's next influence to be GTA or something like dat :3

Betrayal flag raised and the elopement of the two. The queerats are suddenly bigger than I remember. Time for the next episode~

Aug 2, 2016 2:33 AM

Apr 2009
Ah yes the tyranny of democracy all over again, queerat version. Well they know how to make concrete now, they'll be building rockets, firearms and beyond that soon if they really captured a mobile archive (minoshiro) and all the petabytes of 21st century human knowledge it might contain. The current PK-endowed humans still have their reality-warping Cantus so the "gods" are still secure in the heavens for now. Until the queerats begin exhibiting PK in the next centuries or perhaps even just several scores of years, of course! LOL

They're gone. Three days is not enough to scour the leagues of distance they might have covered.
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Aug 21, 2016 6:44 AM

Mar 2015
Every time queerats appear especially Squeeler, I am disgusted. Squeeler is obviously a villain. he is to no good.

Why ED still hasnt changed?

ED Song: 4/5

2.2/5
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

» Ugly KV

ScuzzyBear - Jun 8, 2023

9 by charlieman999 »»
Mar 28, 6:10 AM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 16, 2012

702 by Ryls »»
Mar 19, 12:05 PM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 22, 2013

1325 by Xeehad »»
Mar 2, 8:13 AM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jan 4, 2013

169 by Xeehad »»
Mar 1, 11:37 AM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 26, 2012

516 by Xeehad »»
Feb 26, 10:04 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.