Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Oct 22, 2012 4:36 AM

May 2011
Really good episode.I enjoyed this episode a lot more than the first one. Can't wait for next week's episode.:D
Oct 22, 2012 9:28 AM

Jun 2010
Lol! I even googled elephant mouse syndrome. Deym.
Oct 22, 2012 1:51 PM

Jul 2010
I have a feeling Kai will be able to operate that robot very well once they've reconfigured its controls. Nice episode!

Oct 22, 2012 3:33 PM

Sep 2011
Good thing that the MC changed his pace though he's still boring.

Oct 22, 2012 4:14 PM
Aug 2011
Akiho is really making this show so far! Some funny scenes this week. Nice genki-girl replacement now that Madoka from Rinne no Lagrange has wrapped up.
Oct 22, 2012 5:47 PM

Feb 2012
Great ep. Much much better than the first.

So far it seems like this show will be like that Real Steel movie with Hugh Jackman. I've never watched it but the premise is the same with the whole robots and controlling them in competitions and whatnot.

One thing's for sure, Aki's sister is a MILF! ;D

Looking forward to next ep.
Oct 22, 2012 9:17 PM

Jun 2010
Better episode, but this show has yet to impress me.
Oct 22, 2012 11:43 PM

Jun 2008
Yvese said:
One thing's for sure, Aki's sister is a MILF! ;D

She's hot? Yes.
She's a MILF? No. (Mother I like to Fuck) lol

Visit this blog That I'm working with my friend
http://randomnessthing.com/
Oct 23, 2012 1:08 PM

Oct 2012
I love Aki. :3
Oct 23, 2012 1:27 PM
Jul 2012
for me

Madscientist + Makise = Kaito

i dunno why i get the Madscientist feeling on this guy....
Oct 23, 2012 2:16 PM

Jan 2012
Eh. Nothing groundbreaking so far.
Oct 24, 2012 6:58 AM

Sep 2009
kaimax said:
Trust me it's not about "giant robots", initially it's more about the characters trying to make one.

Robotics;Notes isn't really a mecha genre. But like it's predecessor it's more about the "sci-fi", the science behind robots.

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I meant I am not into shows with anything about giant robots anymore not just the mecha genre. They are trying to build one in this series, I get that, but at the same time they will most likely finish it and start piloting it lol. I feel that there are already so many shows with giant robots in them that it needs something else to make it interesting. Like for Code Geass, I was not going to watch it, but then I found out that there was a unique element to it, Geass.

I will keep watching R;N though because it comes after S;G although not a direct sequel. Plus there is more to the main girl and I wanna know.

Oct 24, 2012 9:26 AM

Jun 2008
xuezhi said:
Like for Code Geass, I was not going to watch it, but then I found out that there was a unique element to it, Geass.

That's basically what I meant about "it's not about the robots", even though "they might" finish it and "ride" it.

R;N is in the same "Science adventure" series as C;H and S;G, like both of the latter, it will soon turn into a "world-wide" scale driven story.

Oct 24, 2012 7:14 PM

Oct 2009
Aki-chan is the best. Elephant Mouse syndrome? Hmm.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 26, 2012 12:34 AM
May 2008
Chaospan said:
UtsukushiiYume said:

This episode was more serious than the last one. I actually looked up Elephant Mouse Syndrome, it doesn't exist (felt silly for looking it up later). But that's a scary disorder. I mean, experiencing five minutes within a second must be so dizzying I wonder how her head can take it.

Well I don't think it's an actual disease but I found a webpage where a doctor made a comparison to "elephant and mouse syndrome" (1) to explain "abnormal anxiety" or "fear that is out of control and out of proportion to the reality of the perceived threat." It fits; as she's certainly anxious by the end of this episode.

After a little more digging I stumbled across a webpage that claims "vasovagal syncope" is a form of fainting that can be triggered by anxiety. (2) Also, the Wikipedia page for vasovagal syncope doesn't include anxiety as a trigger but does include most of what she was experiencing in this episode in the list of possible triggers and claims that fainting episodes can be recurrent. (3) There's no information on these episodes having exactly 5 minutes of unconsciousness, but an otherwise healthy person probably wouldn't be out for much longer than that.

EDIT: It didn't occur to me that she may have been conscious during those 5 minutes until I re-watched. (I thought the clouds passing by was just a cinematic effect for the third person at first.) If this is the case its harder to understand how much it has to do with "elephant/mouse", but I do know that someone in a "blind rage" can "white-out" and perceive events in fast-forward while not having full control over their actions. It does seem somewhat reasonable that a 'white-out' can be stress or anxiety induced also.

(1) http://www.insightscounseling.com/anxiety.htm
(2) http://www.calmclinic.com/anxiety/signs/faint
(3) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vasovagal_response

Although the elephant-mouse syndrome does not really exist, there are actually cases of people experiencing time to be longer that it actually is. This can be induced through certain drugs. What the drugs do is alter the brain's perception of time. Some studies have shown people to be able to perceive more information when their 'time' has been 'slowed' down.

Enjoyed this anime series so far
Oct 26, 2012 2:18 PM

Aug 2012
sinnersage said:

Although the elephant-mouse syndrome does not really exist, there are actually cases of people experiencing time to be longer that it actually is. This can be induced through certain drugs. What the drugs do is alter the brain's perception of time. Some studies have shown people to be able to perceive more information when their 'time' has been 'slowed' down.

Enjoyed this anime series so far

Yeah the "slow-motion" time-dilation effect can be induced by drugs, for example, I remember reading about military snipers using diazepam in addition to other drugs to simulate this effect and steady their aim; or even an adrenaline rush that an elephant may have during a panic attack while encountering a mouse.

She seems to experience the opposite though with a "fast-forward" effect which is harder to explain outside of the boundaries of "rage." That said, rage could still be the 'fight' alternate of panic in the elephants fight-or-flight response.

The only way I can really rationalize her unique "syndrome" is to call it a panic attack that has generally opposite effects in one possible area (fast-foward rather than slow-motion) due to her unintentionally bottled up emotions. She may not understand or know how to cope with frustration for example; and it could add a 'tantrum' effect to her anxiety attacks.

Of course the real explanation for this character probably lies in some anime-specific conspiracy as suggested by other posters.
Oct 31, 2012 5:36 AM

Aug 2010
Glad Kaito did something, I find him to he absolutely irritating...hope he will be more active in the following episodes he is like a furniture now...

Akiho is cute as hell at least. 3/5.
Nov 2, 2012 11:50 AM

Jul 2012
Yeah, Akihio REALLY pisses me off.
Nov 2, 2012 7:36 PM

May 2010
you guys will understand why she didnt pick up aki's call later on ;)
Nov 10, 2012 9:43 PM

Apr 2009
Never heard of such a condition like Akiho's. Well, Kaito's partially at fault for doing practically nothing to help her aside from some info gathering. So yeah, it's no surprise she's exhausted.
Nov 19, 2012 3:20 PM

Aug 2011
Akiho's symptom was really interesting to hear, I need to know more about it.
Nov 19, 2012 9:51 PM
Sep 2011
I'm just speculating, but I'm pretty sure that the Elephant Mouse syndrome will become very important later... maybe as a "superpower" that allows Aki to pilot robots very fast?
Nov 20, 2012 6:05 AM

Jun 2008
poplarleaves said:
I'm just speculating, but I'm pretty sure that the Elephant Mouse syndrome will become very important later... maybe as a "superpower" that allows Aki to pilot robots very fast?

No, she can't, in her position she feels that the worlds is too fast for her brain to process. That's why she collapses everytime she goes into spams.

It's basically getting force feed with a large funnel on your mouth, you can't swallow anything. And it's not a Superpower it's a condition and it's mostly harmful to the body.

Nov 20, 2012 3:05 PM

Sep 2011
poplarleaves said:

wut?
Nov 20, 2012 5:02 PM

Jun 2012
poplarleaves said:

How very...unscientific...
Nov 30, 2012 6:49 PM

Oct 2010
the story is okay. but its kinda dry.
"Be engulfed by the flames of darkness and begone!" - Dark Flame Master
Dec 2, 2012 1:08 PM
Jan 2010
lool soooooooooooooo bad
just getting worse and worse lul
Jan 28, 2013 2:26 PM

Jun 2008
Much better episode from the first!

Now we're seeing the motivations of the characters in a better light and I'm more excited to see the next episode.
Jan 29, 2013 2:13 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
UtsukushiiYume said:
I actually looked up Elephant Mouse Syndrome, it doesn't exist (felt silly for looking it up later). But that's a scary disorder. I mean, experiencing five minutes within a second must be so dizzying I wonder how her head can take it.

LOL I did the same thing T_T The first result that came up was this.

I really like Akiho, she's so energetic in a dorky and non-annoying way. Seems like Kaito is useful after all. They're so cute <3 This is actually a really interesting anime. I wonder why I didn't hear about it or never checked it out when it began during the fall.
Feb 19, 2013 6:59 AM

Feb 2012
I wonder why Akiho is allowed to drive around in a scooter with such a dangerous medical condition.
Mar 5, 2013 3:29 AM

Dec 2010
Man, I like the pace of these episodes, they feel so long for some reason. Somehow even the part about the MCs being high-schoolers somehow adds to the good sense for me.
Aki is a good character, despite this is just hers' 2nd episode. She also has some hilarious moments.
Kaito really is such a lazy ass, I didn't want to believe it in the 1st episode, but it's true xD I wonder if he ever helped much with the robot making :D :D He's cool tho.

Man, I feel like his anime is inspiring me to get into robotcs, at least as a hobby that actually isn't off-limits to me
Apr 30, 2013 3:37 AM
Apr 2012
wailofthebanshee said:
lool soooooooooooooo bad
just getting worse and worse lul

Please tell me you're not gonna troll the rest of the episode discussions without explaining your reasoning.
May 18, 2013 3:33 AM

May 2012
Some interesting development going on here, they're preparing for RoboOne and the deadline is getting closer, but they're somewhere, now that Kaito has accepted to be the operator of it I wonder how things will go! Akiho's condition sure makes up a nice characteristic for her, I wonder how much it will be used in the series! Lets see what's next!
Jun 4, 2013 9:35 PM

Jun 2012
I SENSE SOME ROMANCE UP IN HERE
Jun 26, 2013 4:05 PM
Feb 2013
This anime looks great and Aki is wonderful!!!
Let's see what will happen in the next episode :P
Apr 2, 2014 4:24 AM

Jun 2013
Another great episode. So we learn that Aki has a strange condition called "Elephant Mouse Syndrome" which forces her to have strange attacks that make it seem like she experienced 5 minutes in 1 second. This anime is going to be great, I can already tell. To the next episode!
Jul 30, 2014 3:25 PM

Apr 2014
Experiencing 5 minutes of time in a few seconds? That doesn't sound too... Bad?

I'm still loving the female, especially her glasses moments.

Oct 31, 2014 1:18 AM

Jan 2014
I now this is highly forced, but she had an accident exactly when Okabe finally enters the Steins;Gate world line, 9 years prior. Coincidence?
Jun 15, 2015 7:22 PM

Jun 2014
Price to buy info from information broker = eat a passionfruit chinese dumpling? lmao
Jul 24, 2015 5:45 AM
Dec 2011
this maybe the first time in a while i love the main actress of the series more than the main guy its always other way around :3 i love akiho , she is adorable and i love her optimism you need that if you want to fulfill your dreams..

the sickness akiho has is very bizzar i mean experiencing 5 minutes in 1 second wow cant even imagine thankfully kaito said its like "fast forward" its more understandable i love this cant wait to see the ROBO ONE tournament ! :3
Nov 30, 2016 11:58 PM

Sep 2013
Pretty good episode. I'm not too pumped up about the series overall yet though. The male MC (whatever his name was) just bores me since he is always so bored himself.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Jan 18, 2017 10:44 AM

Jan 2013
Strange sickness that Aki has, glad Kai finally decided to do something ... Aki's been doing all the work without any help from him.
Akiho is a fantastic character so far though, I'm really into the story already.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Robotics;Notes Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 11, 2012

266 by Rinkitori31 »»
Apr 14, 10:14 AM

Poll: » Robotics;Notes Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

symbv - Mar 21, 2013

339 by SciADV_Maniac »»
Jan 22, 3:38 PM

Poll: » Robotics;Notes Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Mar 14, 2013

216 by HagePotPotato »»
Jan 18, 10:05 PM

Poll: » Robotics;Notes Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 7, 2013

303 by HagePotPotato »»
Jan 18, 8:56 PM

Poll: » Robotics;Notes Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Nov 1, 2012

156 by HagePotPotato »»
Jan 18, 4:23 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.