Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 »
Jul 25, 2014 1:07 PM
Mar 2014
That was some powerful stuff. Sonohara still a bit of a dick though.
Aug 12, 2014 4:30 AM

Oct 2013
that soccer team.....
"Urushibara Ruka. The mannerisms and voice of a woman... No... More feminine than any woman. But he's a guy. Taller than Mayuri, but so very thin... But he's a guy. Looks great in a miko outfit... But he's a guy. It's already twilight And yet, it's so hot. The cicadas are crying. But... He's a guy."
Sep 5, 2014 4:33 AM
Jun 2014
Going to repost my opinion on this arc that I wrote on a different site:

Please tell me that After Story gets better, because imo this arc was pretty poor. Sure this conclusion to the arc was great, but all the buildup was not so much. Honestly I didn't dislike Sunohara at all during this arc, and you know what, he was almost completely justified. Pretty much everything bad happened was because his 'friends' decided to lie to him repeatedly. I've gotten tired of the show turning him into a glorified punching bag. It's the same way I feel with squidward. Generally, watching a character get beat up is only funny when he has is coming, and though he often had it coming earlier in the series, now it just seems like he's just their go-to guy when they want to punch someone. Also, we see him screw up so much but we never see anyone else screwing up.

A side note, his sister caring for him so much felt a tad out of place considering in all the earlier times she visited she didn't seem to be trying to hang out with him at all, and even somewhat ignored him when he did want to hang out with her.
Mar 30, 2015 2:23 PM

Oct 2014
I loved this episode sunohara vs tomoya fight was awesome
Apr 25, 2015 6:32 AM

Mar 2015
I don't care what Sunohara does, I still hate him. Finally Akio-san found out about it.
Please send help.
Jun 28, 2015 7:45 AM

Dec 2013
So glad that Sunohara FINALLY got some of his shit together. Sort of. Either way it was nice to see sme history on Tomoya and Sunohara's relationship.
Aug 3, 2015 4:22 AM

Dec 2010
The fight between Okazaki and Sunohara felt great. I guess that they are real friends after all, I couldn't quite figure that out in S1.
Sep 1, 2015 2:04 AM

Mar 2015
I have siblings but not that get along well.

The fight between Tomoya and Sunohara is brutal, hahaha :D

Hyped for the next episode from preview.
Nov 9, 2015 10:55 PM
Jan 2015
Well , as fellow football players and big brother of sister at Mei chan's age , this episode hit me really hard..

personally , I think the conclusion that Mei come to was a stupid one .. seriously ? she want her brother to play football with that kind of asshole team ? being a Ballboy part is a really really poor decision . but I guess it's necessary as build-up

Glad that Sunohara and Tomoya beat the hell out of this absolute shame of football team...
after seeing this episode , I guess they are true best friend after all..
and LOL at Tomoya's troll at the end
Mar 7, 2016 1:36 AM

Jan 2016
Good episode, but that scene where Sunohara comes to rescue Mei was so cheesy.

4/5
May 19, 2016 4:16 AM

Mar 2014
There goes the resolution . Friendship and delinquents ~ .
It was seriously a hopeless situation but they managed and laughing ~ .
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 25, 2016 4:44 PM

Oct 2012
Ultimate bromance.. it was good, mainly in the end of the episode but it was even bit better in novel.

It seems they are interwoving Yukine route into other parts, not bad idea actually as her story is very short.

And seems like Misae is the next one, I wonder if we get one or two episodes for her.
Oct 28, 2016 2:02 AM

Dec 2012
It makes me so happy to revisit classics. I saw this way back in high school and it still manages to tug at my heart.

I thought the themes of this show were only relevant because i was the same age and in the same grade as these characters when i first watched, but even to this day it still holds up.

except this. you can manage to do stupid things as long as you want (^~^)
Nov 6, 2016 9:13 AM

Jun 2016
Great episode...
and the fight between Okazaki and Sunohara felt great.
EG99
Dec 15, 2016 1:51 PM

Apr 2016
Man, this arc seriously sucks. The worst so far.

Over dramatic, Mei's sudden need for her brother's care out of nowhere, complicating things, wanting to get him back to that team? THAT team? And was Nagisa seriously about to stop Tomoya before the fight?! Really?

I hope Mei will never show up, because as of now I dislike her.

At least it ended nicely. (exactly the moment Mei went back home..)

Raccoon_CitizenDec 15, 2016 1:59 PM
Dec 20, 2016 10:01 PM

Jun 2016
Ah, man, what a fucking lovely episode. Every bit of it.
"Nothing crushes us".
Jan 23, 2017 9:11 AM

Jun 2015
Okazaki is so evil
If you are going to disagree with me, don't bother talking to me. I will seriously hurt you!
Mar 22, 2017 2:50 PM

May 2016
This episode was sure enjoyable loved everything of it from the fight to the end xD.
Jun 21, 2017 10:26 AM
Oct 2014
The emotion was great, but I feel bad for Sunohara. Since the last few episodes of the first season, Okazaki has been quite the dick to him. He constantly makes up fables for entertainment, that only hurt Sunohara, or, *should* hurt him. I do not understand how he brushes everything off so quickly. To be lied to about the girl he likes actually being Nagisa's mom, and thinking that Okazaki and Mei are dating. Okazaki really needs to step up his friendship with Sunohara, or I will start to have distaste for him, when I thought he was such a great protagonist up until now.

Here's hoping Okazaki starts treating Sunohara better.
Oct 6, 2017 10:01 AM

Sep 2017
Raccoon_Citizen said:
Man, this arc seriously sucks. The worst so far.

Over dramatic, Mei's sudden need for her brother's care out of nowhere, complicating things, wanting to get him back to that team? THAT team? And was Nagisa seriously about to stop Tomoya before the fight?! Really?

I hope Mei will never show up, because as of now I dislike her.

At least it ended nicely. (exactly the moment Mei went back home..)

Ikr. I can't believe Tomoya and Nagisa agreed with Mei's plan. This was by far one of the worst arc for me in the series
Oct 13, 2017 11:19 AM

Apr 2014
Meh, cheesy ending.
Feb 11, 2018 7:15 PM
Sep 2015
What an awful, contrived episode. The entire part with them trying to get him back on the soccer team just uggh.
Mar 26, 2018 8:26 AM
Jun 2017
I just love this episode, i mean the bro and sis relationahip between Mei and Sunohara has been shown. Great episode!!!
Oct 3, 2018 9:10 PM
Mar 2018
I'm disappointed by Sunohara's arc. I was hoping that it would be about character development (in a way that he can still be comic relief, though) but

6/10
Dec 5, 2018 2:10 PM
Jul 2013
Viltas said:
That was such a dumb character arc. Mei acts without logic or reasoning and they basically spend 2 episodes building up to solve a problem that they created. Furthermore I really disliked how they treated Sunohara. I get that he's a gag character, but they didn't really develop him at all. If anything it felt like this arc straight up degrades him.

Big up. Plus Sunohara is so gullible, it's unbelievable and plainly stupid. I didn't like this arc at all.
Dec 15, 2018 3:39 PM

Dec 2018
Two guys get out their anger in a mutual fight, and people here scream "VIOLENCE SOLVES NOTHING"

The girls in this show (and most others) beat the snot out of guys for the flimsiest of reasons, and no one says a peep.

second of all, those who say violence solves nothing: it's a nice sentiment, but you guys must have lived very comfortable and sheltered lives.
Apr 24, 2019 11:44 AM

Mar 2017
It is mind-boggling to me that they still think it is a good idea to get Sunohara back in the soccer club. Who the heck would enjoy to be a part of that asshole brigade? They even enjoy torturing little girls for crying out loud!

Other than that it was a nice episode. I really like how in such a drama filled romance show the male protagonist and his sidekick are rather deep and interesting characters. I don't think you see that too often. I actually expected them to break out laughing even earlier, when they were still fighting in the rain. It was pretty tough to see them beat the shit out of each other like that. But I knew a true bromance couldn't be broken just like that!
Jul 8, 2019 2:15 PM

Feb 2017
I didn't like this episode much. This arc was pretty ridiculous overall. The entire situation felt contrived (mainly thanks to Tomoya's doing). A lot of the boiling points that aggravated things were fabricated on a whim, especially Tomoya's contributions with pretending to be Mei's girlfriend and the whole fake girlfriend thing for Sunohara to begin with. The soccer team was pure scum, but they were just used as tools within the story to make things worse.

And then it all ends with uncontrollable laughter from a chance meeting in the street with the whole gang. Kinda cheesy. I really hope this isn't the flow and resolution for the arcs in this season.
Jul 19, 2019 4:41 PM

Jul 2016
eski514 said:
I didn't like this episode much. This arc was pretty ridiculous overall. The entire situation felt contrived (mainly thanks to Tomoya's doing). A lot of the boiling points that aggravated things were fabricated on a whim, especially Tomoya's contributions with pretending to be Mei's girlfriend and the whole fake girlfriend thing for Sunohara to begin with. The soccer team was pure scum, but they were just used as tools within the story to make things worse.

And then it all ends with uncontrollable laughter from a chance meeting in the street with the whole gang. Kinda cheesy. I really hope this isn't the flow and resolution for the arcs in this season.

Couldn't have said it better myself. And the rest if the season is not as bad as this believe me. This and maybe episode 8 are the weakest parts of After Story
Jul 25, 2019 7:30 PM
Apr 2016
Best episode so far, entire series-wise. Sunohara felt betrayed due to those soccer losers, since the consequences of him doing the right thing resulted in it being "his fault," even though it wasn't, therefore he started not taking action even whilst wanting to, due to a fear of unjust consequences. Those soccer guys sure were childish assholes though. The conclusion was sweet! Glad the entire situation was solved and ended on a happy note.
Oct 26, 2019 1:30 PM

Aug 2015
I liked the ending of the episode but the overall arc was bad. Stupid that they think going back to that soccer team is good forhim. Given how hyped Afterstory is, I really hope it picks up sometime soon.
The only opinion that should matter to you is yours.
Nov 27, 2019 9:21 PM

Jul 2016
I hate how unrealistic Clannad can be
Mar 4, 2020 8:49 PM

Jul 2016
I ended up feeling so stressed with this ridiculous episode... easily, the worst arc so far. At first, I had some hopes the story would finally take Sunohara's character seriously by addressing his lack of interest in his future after school and giving him some needed character development but no. The arc wasn't really about him but more about her sister and her over-dramatic adventure to fulfill her selfish request.
The narrative decisions were plain terrible and beyond stupidity, Sunohara and Mei acted really "out of character" in contrast with first season, Tomoya messing with his supposed "friend" was taken way too far (basically to the point where he and Mei spent two whole episodes trying to solve a problem they created in the first place by not clearing up the misunderstandings), the guys from the soccer club were portrayed so cartoonishly evil it was more hilarious than anything and on top of all that, Sunohara didn't get any development I can classify as satisfying.

And to think this whole mess could have been solved earlier if only Mei had decided to have a proper talk with his brother... seriously, I really hope this arc is just a misstep and things improve from here because so far, Clannad: After Story is giving me a quite lame first impression.
Jul 31, 2020 5:53 PM

Aug 2016
Sunohara is always the retarded one, but all this arc he literally did nothing wrong, everyone was an asshole to him, even his own sister and his best friend. f*cking trash
:v
Aug 17, 2020 12:35 AM

Apr 2015
The main problem with Clannad as a whole(and other Maeda franchises for that matter) is on show here:

Mei wants his old brother back, and then somehow decides the only way is to make him play football again, and then somehow everyone agrees begging him into the school club is the right method.

The thought process in that sequence of events is just absurdly short sighted and simple. Every storyline and conflict in Key stories are written like this- here it's how girlfriend Sanae happens, how the violin event happens, how the baseball match happens...every character is just unrealistically pure. Everyone acts that way in all these logically just sound enough but super contrived array of scenes that facilitate those touchy highlight scenes Maeda thinks are cool.

Of course, most of those touchy highlight scenes are actually cool.

But not here.
LanzAug 17, 2020 3:54 AM
Oct 7, 2020 9:10 PM

Mar 2020
I don't enjoy being overly negative, but holy shit this episode was garbage. I can safely say that I hated pretty much everything about it (except for how Sunohara's outburst about not being manipulated in the original series fits with his backstory here).

Maybe I just zoned out in the previous episodes, but I don't remember why Sunohara rejoining the soccer team was so important in the first place. I suppose it was so he could come to understand what he wanted out of life, but professional sports is almost impossible to get into as a career. Even then, I don't know why Okazaki would be fine with that plan, since he already knows what the soccer team is like. Though he was wrong to use violence, Sunohara did the right thing by getting out when he did. The people who take someone's respect for granted deserve it the least.

There was potential for this arc to be good, but it was thoroughly ruined by how Okazaki conducted himself. I'm fine with him being more impulsive and short-tempered, but it goes against pretty much every aspect of his character from the first season. I have no idea why he would continue to exacerbate every negative thing going on in Sunohara's life but he did it anyway. Maybe I'm being too narrow-minded here, but this is the kind of shit which destroys friendships, and I wouldn't blame Sunohara for wanting out.

The point where I began to lose consciousness was when Okazaki and Sunohara started brawling with the Soccer team, truly solidifying that these characters are incapable of learning anything. However, what made me flatline was when Sunohara went to court Sanae. Congrats Clannad After Story, you fucking killed me. The entire conflict over the past couple of episodes was built on the character's inability to communicate and be honest. Is it too much for me to want these characters to change and develop?

This entire arc has thoroughly dissuaded me from wanting to watch the rest of the show, though I still have this morbid curiosity which makes me want to see it all through. Granted, if the next arc is as incompetent as this one I probably won't be as lenient.
Oct 10, 2020 7:45 PM

Jun 2020
That was very good, it end up pretty well.

Now I want an Imouto this was an amazing arc it was pretty sad but it was amusing, I have nothing to say I'm just gonna say that it was amazing.
Oct 22, 2020 5:01 AM
Apr 2020
This. This is how you execute a good arc. 5/5 sasuga kyoani.
Nov 6, 2020 4:01 PM

Apr 2014
Such a great episode. Hilarious, touching and badass moments. They are all here. The very reason I love anime.
"You don't become Hokage in order to be acknowledged by the village.
The one who is acknowledged by everyone, is the one who becomes Hokage."
Uchiha Itachi, Naruto Shippuden
Feb 13, 2021 8:44 AM

Apr 2017
This has been one of the worst arcs of anything I've seen in a long time, this arc was a complete waste of time since everything just returned to the status quo at the end.

Everything could've been avoided if people just talked for crying out loud, instead of lying for no good reason.

Actually the one thing that changed is the fact that every time I'm gonna see Sunohara or Mei from now on I'm gonna have a sour taste in my mouth.
cunnysseur
Mar 10, 2021 6:41 PM
Mar 2021
My favorite episode of the season so far. Very emotional moments with the perfect amount of comedic relief. See Sunohara and Okazaki fight was hard to watch since it was so passionate and the environment made the scene 10x better. This is also the first time that we really hear the origin story of their friendship in depth which I enjoyed watching and learning about. The soccer guys were getting on my nerves though, had no right to treat them the way they did. But nonetheless, this episode was a 5/5 for me :)
Mar 25, 2021 5:18 AM

May 2020
I liked this arc, rode a rollercoaster of emotions
May 30, 2021 8:47 PM

Jul 2020
very beautiful ep. I know Sunohara is a Hopeless dude yet is still a great guy.

the ending was funny though
Jun 10, 2021 9:19 PM

May 2018
Aw yes, the comically evil Japanese high-school soccer team, not one of them wasn't an ass. Breaks immersion a tad. On a positive note, there was good tension with Youhei and everyone.
Jun 16, 2021 1:15 PM

Apr 2020
Sunohara is back!

Great arc

Can't wait for the next
5/5
"Raise your words, not voice. It is rain that grows flowers, not thunder"~Rumi

Jul 15, 2021 3:49 PM

Jan 2021
This by far is one of my favorite episodes.
This episode turned out good.
Jul 21, 2021 9:58 AM

Oct 2013
This arc is a pleb filter
Aug 26, 2021 6:18 AM

Apr 2020
Jeez the conclusion to what has been an arc of misunderstandings and lies became a no-holds barred payoff, and I love it!!!

My goodness the pain that Mei, Nagisa, and Tomoya had to endure to the ridiculous soccer team is immense, why did we had to go through this, oh Mei...whatever. Either way I love the fight scene between Youhei and Tomoya, such a great way to show how they feel to each other from the mess. But hey, just like the first time they met, they just laugh it off and move on with a much more stronger friendship, nice one Clannad.

And of course we ain't leaving this arc without telling Sunohara the truth, he's dating a MIL-
Nov 7, 2021 4:13 AM

Aug 2018
Not bad arc, but definitely felt like something was missing in order for this to be truly memorable type of stuff
Pages (7) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 »

More topics from this board

» Hopefully this isn't annoying

Ricdumb - Apr 10

3 by Ricdumb »»
Apr 20, 6:25 PM

Poll: » Clannad ~After Story~ Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Davison - Oct 16, 2008

260 by KingOfPneumos »»
Apr 8, 7:26 PM

Poll: » Clannad ~After Story~ Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kiseki - Oct 2, 2008

347 by KingOfPneumos »»
Apr 7, 6:44 PM

Poll: » Clannad ~After Story~ Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

patient_senses - Mar 12, 2009

1168 by Chilicon_valley »»
Mar 10, 8:29 AM

Poll: » Clannad ~After Story~ Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

id - Feb 12, 2009

724 by Miyagi-Hana »»
Mar 9, 3:13 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.