Forum Settings
Forums
New
Sep 3, 2012 9:02 PM

Sep 2008
It's not really marathoning, but I can't think of a better way to put it. I've come to the conclusion that I'd rather wait and watch a series/season after it's finished then when it's currently airing. When I'm watching something that's not finished and I'm caught up, I usually go find something else to watch in the meantime and sometimes I forget all about what I was watching and when I do get back to it, I've lost interest. That's how I've ended up with 20+ things in my currently watching list here. Over half of those I started when they were airing.

So yeah, what do you guys prefer? Being first and watching something ASAP or waiting and watching something in a few settings.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Sep 3, 2012 9:02 PM

Mar 2009
I prefer watching something completed and marathoning whatever that's interesting enough.
Sep 3, 2012 9:12 PM

Jul 2007
Marathoning all the way when the series has an actual narrative. Something like a comedy or SoL where everything is episodic and can border on irritating if exposed for too long to it continuously is best watched as it airs.
My first novel, Kardia has been published! Click here to read!
Sep 3, 2012 9:14 PM

Sep 2011
I like watching completed anime more just because I like knowing what I'm getting into before I start it. I don't like wasting my time watching things I know I'm not going to enjoy. I can research completed anime to look for those specific things I really dislike, whereas I'm taking a gamble if I watch currently airing anime, and I don't want to do that.

Splitter said:
Marathoning all the way when the series has an actual narrative. Something like a comedy or SoL where everything is episodic and can border on irritating if exposed for too long to it continuously is best watched as it airs.

I actually have an easier time marathoning episodic anime. I've never seen anyone else like this though. It's weird.
Sep 3, 2012 9:17 PM

May 2012
I barely watch airing anime, I always Marathon because it's much better for obvious reasons.
Sep 3, 2012 9:18 PM

Jun 2012
I'd rather marathon an anime instead of waiting a week for one episode. By the time the new episode comes up, I would probably forget what happened last episode.
Sep 3, 2012 9:19 PM

Mar 2011
Kuhle said:
I actually have an easier time marathoning episodic anime. I've never seen anyone else like this though. It's weird.

Sup.
What do you think you're piloting? Great Mazinger? Dangaioh? For Pete's sake, this isn't some robot cartoon whose main character is an autistic kid or some punk. - Kiichi Goto, Mobile Police Patlabor
Sep 3, 2012 9:21 PM

May 2012
Olives said:
I'd rather marathon an anime instead of waiting a week for one episode. By the time the new episode comes up, I would probably forget what happened last episode.

This is exactly why I only marathon.
Sep 3, 2012 9:21 PM

Jun 2012
Completed > Ongoing

Also, a thread about this has already been made: http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=461173&show=0
Sep 3, 2012 9:53 PM

Aug 2011
Olives said:

You have a poor memory if you can't remember what happened a week ago, I'm consistently watching 20+ currently airing series and I never forget what happened in the prior episode of any given series.
Sep 4, 2012 5:53 AM

Nov 2011
I do both, I have no problems keeping up with airing anime either, I usually watch them the moment the subbed version gets released on nyaa.eu

My Twitter : link
My Last.fm : link
Sep 4, 2012 5:56 AM
Sep 2010
I have no problem with watching airing ones, but I do prefer marathoning.
Sep 4, 2012 6:02 AM

Mar 2012
I like to marathon the series I chose but watching currently airing is always nice too. You get a much greater feeling when you watch those series because they are new.
Sep 4, 2012 6:04 AM

Oct 2010
this has been done before recently, i will say again though, i normally like both, it changes my out look on the series, some times it spoils it because i watch them to much and it is over quickly and then i can't really remeber it (madoka majica (yeh a terrible one to spoil)
Sep 4, 2012 6:09 AM

Aug 2011
SutekiDaNe said:
I have no problem with watching airing ones, but I do prefer marathoning.

This.
Sep 4, 2012 6:10 AM

Jun 2012
I used to do both, but now I'm pretty much watching completed anime exclusively. Stuff like Fairy Tail and One Piece I'll get back to eventually.
Sep 4, 2012 6:10 AM

Jul 2010
I usually enjoy marathoning. I, too, wait for most of the series to finish airing before watching.

However, if I am really anticipating a series that season, I'll go ahead and watch it.
Sep 4, 2012 6:11 AM

Jun 2012
Yeah i like marathoning better as well, this is the first time i kept up with airing shows and i dont like it.
Sep 4, 2012 6:19 AM

Aug 2012
Hyouka is the first on-air anime I'm watching but I have to take breaks from it and stuff because I don't want to wait for the latest episode and it's horrible.

But the last episode is released this Sunday, so this week will more than likely be a Hyouka week :'D
Sep 4, 2012 7:40 AM

Sep 2008
Depends on the anime, I only watch currently airing anime if I'm really excited about, because it's easy for me to remember what happened from week to week and keep interested in it.

Anime I'm sorta interested in I'll wait till it's complete then marathon it cause I know I wouldn't be able to care from week to week.
It doesn't think, it doesn't feel, it doesn't laugh or cry..... All it does from dusk till dawn is make the soldiers die.
Sep 4, 2012 7:43 AM

Jan 2009
Marathoning

though mostly because there's over 100 completed shows I'm interested in

when I finally watch all of them I wouldn't mind watching ongoing shows
I'm just a big visual novel fan but have also watched quite a bit of anime and played a bunch of games. Avatar is Mashiro from Making*Lovers and Kotori from Rewrite.
Sep 4, 2012 7:50 AM

Sep 2010
its hard to marathon an anime when you are away from 8 till 6.
so i like watching a lot of airing shows at the same time for my evenings and i keep 1 completed show for my trainrides (so thats 2 epi's a day basically).
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 4, 2012 8:13 AM

Jun 2009
oh hey, it's this topic again.

I (almost) never watch shows as they are airing. waiting a week for a new episode sucks, not to mention stretching a show over half a year makes it hard to remember everything that happened in eaarly episodes.
Sep 4, 2012 8:21 AM

Aug 2012
I watch airing anime and marathon anime. The longer I watch airing, the more I want to marathon however. Its a predicament I can't seem to solve because I'm an impatient person.
Sep 4, 2012 8:32 AM

Mar 2012
I marathon anime during holidays or whenever i'm super free. And go for currently airing anime during my not-so-free period. >_<
Sep 4, 2012 8:33 AM

Apr 2012
superange128 said:
Marathoning

though mostly because there's over 100 completed shows I'm interested in

when I finally watch all of them I wouldn't mind watching ongoing shows

This would be me...

except that my PTW expands faster than I watch it, so I'll never catch up to ongoing shows.
Sep 4, 2012 8:38 AM

Jan 2008
grandy_UiD said:
oh hey, it's this topic again.

Yea... again... /sighs.

Anyways, I do both, it doesn't matter too much honestly. Marathon'ing is fine but it can get... boring if the series is too long and I may end up dropping it. (24 episodes is not long, from my perspective, so I usually do it with series within that range assuming it's completed). The positives of a currently airing is that it has more active discussion threads.
Sep 4, 2012 8:52 AM
Apr 2009
I watch currently airing anime that I like always. I don't wait for my stuff to build unless it is for a good reason. So far I haven't done that yet.

I "Marathon" my manga though, and read large amounts of it when it gains chapters.
Sep 4, 2012 9:00 AM

Aug 2012
I prefer Marathoning. I hate waiting a week for new episodes, and some time in between I always get bored and start watching something else. Then I forget all about the show that I was supposed to be following.
Sep 4, 2012 9:05 AM

Jul 2012
Marathoning, that's why I plan on waiting for the fall season anime to finish before watching them. I might watch one of them while it's airing, but I'll let the rest finish then marathon them.
Sep 4, 2012 9:13 AM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
I'm not patient enough to wait until the show ends.
Sep 4, 2012 9:25 AM

Jul 2011
Jigero said:
Depends on the anime, I only watch currently airing anime if I'm really excited about, because it's easy for me to remember what happened from week to week and keep interested in it.

Anime I'm sorta interested in I'll wait till it's complete then marathon it cause I know I wouldn't be able to care from week to week.

This

Also, watching currently airing is good to follow many animes at the same time without requiring much free time, watching 2/3 episodes per day is not a really challenging.
Sep 4, 2012 9:27 AM

May 2010
marathon and watching currently airing are both fine for me.
for some anime like shirokuma cafe i wouldn't stand marathoning though.
Sep 4, 2012 9:50 AM

Jan 2012
Airing is almost the same as marathoning for me.

I got at times without watching an anime for week(s).
Airing anime is easier to actually watch, but at times I get lazy and just stop waiting.
Sep 4, 2012 10:00 AM

Sep 2012
Except for comedy and parody series I prefer marathoning though I usually catch up with airing series after 8 or 9 episodes.
Sep 4, 2012 2:53 PM

Jul 2012
I do both. Most will be airing though...Well, depends on the season LOL.
I "marathon" at least two or three at a time.

Something like a comedy or SoL where everything is episodic and can border on irritating if exposed for too long to it continuously is best watched as it airs.

I just take it slow. XD
Sep 4, 2012 3:33 PM

Feb 2009
Marathoning all the way
Sep 4, 2012 3:36 PM

Feb 2008
Depends on the show. Mysteries and shows full of suspense are best material when they are airing. It kinda ruins it if you complete the whole show in one sitting, It's way better to go insane because of that cliffhanger at the end of each episode.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Sep 4, 2012 3:54 PM

Jul 2012
Marathoning. Watching airing anime is hell, especially if you fall behind.
Sep 4, 2012 4:53 PM
Feb 2012
currently airing, you can always watch a completed show while waiting for the next episode. it's also pretty easy to keep up. In fact, I was 7-8 episodes behind on around 15 shows this season and I caught up in about a week.
Sep 4, 2012 5:17 PM

Feb 2009
I just marathon because I don't want to get to the point where I want to finish the anime and I can't because it isnt finished yet!
Sep 4, 2012 6:25 PM

Sep 2009
I agree. I'm far too impatient to finish good anime when I'm in the middle. :)

That would be like someone telling me I have to stop reading my book halfway through! (Or splitting the LAST novel up into THREE, and telling me I'd have to wait until the Next Two Were Written before reading them... Wheel of Time!)
Sep 5, 2012 1:33 AM

Aug 2012
prefer something completed than airing.
i only watch 2 anime that's been airing and its hunter x hunter2011 and shippuden
Sep 5, 2012 3:45 AM
Jun 2012
i prefer watching completed series rather than airing ones so i can marathon them. the experience is just so much better when you can watch many episodes at one go.
Sep 5, 2012 3:54 AM

Jan 2012
I prefer marathoning, mainly because I keep falling behind whenever I watch an airing show. Hard to keep up with especially when you're watching a bunch of shit.
Sep 5, 2012 7:05 AM

Sep 2011
I nearly always wait for it to complete. I don't marathon it though, I hate going through something I enjoy too fast. I just watch at my regular pace (like 4 episodes a day or so, more or less, depends on the time I have etc).
But of course there will surely be a time when I watch airing anime. I'm probably not gonna wait for, say, OreImo season #2 to end before I watch it.
Sep 5, 2012 7:23 AM

Jun 2010
Marathoning FTW!!!

I just can't watch stuff that is currently airing, because I have absolutely no patience whatsoever, it's come to the point where I've put one piece, naruto & the like on-hold until its built up around 20 eps +, during this time I watch other completed stuff.
Sep 5, 2012 7:45 AM

Aug 2012
if your watching aired anime every week there will be a time that you'll have to rewatch the whole thing again.
Sep 5, 2012 7:49 AM

Aug 2012
I dislike watching an anime all at once. I can only sit still for a few episodes at a time so it doesn't really make a difference to me if I'm watching something while it airs or not.
Sep 5, 2012 7:55 AM

Nov 2011
shmirkies said:
if your watching aired anime every week there will be a time that you'll have to rewatch the whole thing again.

Not really, especially not with episodic anime.

Its called having a "memory", I don't need to re-read manga all the time either, and they go on for years.

My Twitter : link
My Last.fm : link
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Lifespan of an Anime fan?

Ex-Aid - 6 hours ago

44 by Pinoffin »»
1 minute ago

» Favorite Anime Insert Song

LowIqSalty - 27 minutes ago

4 by Archean-Return »»
9 minutes ago

» "This was a Masterpiece!!!" sections or moments in shows that aren't that.

APolygons2 - Apr 27

39 by Hitagi__Furude »»
12 minutes ago

» Thoughts on NA?

lezbifriends - May 19

22 by DesuMaiden »»
14 minutes ago

» Which Anime do you think has the overall best OP+ED+OSTs ? ( 1 2 )

NaRc0s_G - May 19

84 by NoelleIsSleepy »»
25 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.