Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 »
May 2, 2012 5:29 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
Mastermind995 said:
huntx said:

i know ppl watch whole mirai nikki, madoka magica and giving it 5/10 and 3/10 for stupid reasons and at end they say its unwatchable.
So let them express their opinions(mine too), if you don't like it and don't know how to deal with them, just ignore.

I never would have imagine that there is actually a person who does not enjoy mirai nikki or madoka.Tell me there stupid reasons why they didnt enjoy the shows?

Again, there are valid reasons to not like the series. You have to understand people have their own tastes.

For instance, I finished the Mirai Nikki manga while it was ongoing and it was enough for me. Didn't want anything to do with the anime. At least the anime ending was better than the manga's.

I didn't enjoy Madoka (i.e. average series for me at best). It doesn't matter how psychological or how subliminal the themes are (I could read all those SHAFT scripts just fine), it just doesn't interest me (both the characters and the premise are uninteresting, I was so bored and detached from the series that I honestly didn't give a damn about any of the characters) I must have felt what KB felt (i.e. nothing) about the entire ordeal. So I was pretty disappointed.

The difference between Eru (so far) and Haruhi is that Eru shoves it in your face. Haruhi just makes it happen. Both are quite eccentric at best and extremely annoying at worst.

LonerGoth said:
I love how this series seems to be a big FUCK YOU to everyone on the internet that goes on and on about story, progression, character development and seriousness and misery. A good show doesn't need those things to SELL!

Sadly, that's the reality with many series. The "good" part is subjective though. Also, it's too soon to say ti doesn't have a story nor progression. So far, people have been hyping it due to animation, "because it's KyoAni", the Clannad VA cast and because supposedly Chitanda is moe.
wakka9caMay 2, 2012 5:33 PM
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
May 2, 2012 5:51 PM

Jan 2012
In my opinion, haruhi is more aggressive that eru. I pity kyon at times =.=
Actually glad that nepal is facing disaster
May 2, 2012 8:57 PM
Oct 2010
Spacebar said:
In my opinion, haruhi is more aggressive that eru. I pity kyon at times =.=
It's not just a matter of aggressiveness... The world wouldn't end if Oreki stopped humoring Chitanda, as opposed to... well, you know what I mean. X_D
"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain"
Friedrich Schiller
May 2, 2012 10:19 PM
Apr 2011
It seriously freaks me out everytime Oreki goes into his vision sequence and the kanji starts moving. I feel like they're going to eat him alive or something.

And then Chintanda's amazing arm strength with a smile.

Great episode. I foresee good things with this one.
May 2, 2012 10:29 PM
Jun 2011
Dako said:
I feel a little bit sorry for Eru for putting up with Oreki's attitude all the time, especially at the last scene in the cafe. Give her some time, she looked great in her casual wear.

Animation was great during the explanation scenes with the floating diagrams. We got a triple dose of the eyes this time round, my highlihgt of each episode.

4th character was not bad, ED was alright.
Andi feel sorry for Oreki for having to put up with Chitanda. Sorry to say but her forcefulness was preety annoying in its on way. Haruhi was better in this aspect. But thats just my opinon, though i cant see what people find attractice about a girl that gets into your face like that. .___________________.

Well Chitanda aside i preety much like all the other characters and the show itself.
May 3, 2012 2:19 AM

Mar 2012
wakka9ca said:

For instance, I finished the Mirai Nikki manga while it was ongoing and it was enough for me. Didn't want anything to do with the anime. At least the anime ending was better than the manga's.

I didn't enjoy Madoka (i.e. average series for me at best). It doesn't matter how psychological or how subliminal the themes are (I could read all those SHAFT scripts just fine), it just doesn't interest me (both the characters and the premise are uninteresting, I was so bored and detached from the series that I honestly didn't give a damn about any of the characters) I must have felt what KB felt (i.e. nothing) about the entire ordeal. So I was pretty disappointed.

Never said Mirai Nikki is materpiece, its good anime, and not to be ignored, underrated.
You are right about Madoka, but its not where the anime shines, it shine on how the story is being told there are very few which can throw premises at first episodes and maintain those till the end, making perfect sense, Madoka is one of best at this.
What i was saying is that, some people just ignore all this, come to forums after watching all, tell us its pure shit, unwatchable... much worse than someone come here telling hes dropping it because it doesn't suit his taste(boring for him), or already got many animes on his watching list.
End.
Hyouka
Only the last 5-6 mins of the episode 2 was interesting. Lets see what happens next.
May 3, 2012 2:58 AM

Jan 2012
....Did you know that haruhi forced kyon to stay overnight in school just to complete some internet website / etc . Isn't that worse ?

I don't hate the melancholy of haruhi suzumiya , I even rated it a 9/10 . I'm just saying when it comes to forceful, haruhi wins it all or the world is going down >.>
May 3, 2012 4:43 AM

Sep 2008
Nothing special but pretty solid.

ED is unfitting.

Main character was being an ass, somewhat. Lazy people like that are useless. I may start disliking him and that's something I really didn't want to do.

wakka9ca said:
It's hard to give a damn about one dimensional generic mass produced characters fresh out of the factory.
5layerMay 3, 2012 4:47 AM
May 3, 2012 5:12 AM

Mar 2009
Spacebar said:
xBlackRosex said:
If I was Oreki, I would be so annoyed by Chitanda. Seriously, why does she always go right up to his face? And push him into doing things? If he wants to go home, let him go home, don't be a bully! Not to mention he was in the middle of reading and she chucks the book right in front of his vision, goodness. She's not cute, she's selfish and irritating.

Have you watch The Melancholy of Haurhi Suzumiya ? Go watch that and you will see how good is Chitanda compared to Haruhi .

The difference of irritating/annoying/selfish is kinda big. I'm sure you will be flipping tables in that series if you can't handle chitanda in Hyouka .

Yes, I've seen that anime and I must say, while I'm not fond of tsundere characters (with the exception of Makise Kurisu) I still much prefer Haruhi to Chitanda. Maybe there's something else about Chitanda that I can't stand which I've yet to figure out what it is. On the other hand, maybe she'll grow on me as time goes on, it's only been two episodes after all.

Well annoy and irritate basically mean the same thing, they're just different words. Plus I said she was selfish and irritating which means, no matter what difference they have, she has two bad traits in my opinion.

{{ TCO }} {{ ACP }} {{ TSC }} {{ LAC }}
May 3, 2012 6:24 AM

Jan 2011
Nice episode, the last couple of minutes were interesting.
Looking forward to next episode, animation is gorgeous.
I almost never read discussions after I made my post, if you want to reply PM me or post on my profile page.
May 3, 2012 9:23 AM

Nov 2011

May 3, 2012 1:47 PM
Oct 2010
I think the saying goes "great minds think alike"...

And Sherlock doesn't share the low energy philosophy. And he is intrigued by mysteries...

Actually, now I'm realizing something that has been bothering me and couldn't pinpoint. Houtarou doesn't seem to like thinking, how did he even get smart that way?

A good thinker is usually bothered by anything that doesn't fit, which prompts the quest for solving the puzzle, no matter how simple it is. This anime divided the qualities of curiosity and analysis between Eru and Houtarou, but that breaks the verisimilitude in my opinion, since there's no intelligence without curiosity.

So, either Houtarou used to be very curious as a kid and something happened, or his character makes no sense... ok, maybe there's another convincing explanation, I just hope they don't forget to address this matter...
Friedrich Schiller
May 3, 2012 1:49 PM

Mar 2012
You expect an anime to explain why someone has incredible deductive logic, or incredible anything for that matter? I don't think I've ever seen an anime that has explained every character's 'abnormal' traits.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
May 3, 2012 2:04 PM
Oct 2010
Well, I can't say I'm an expert in mystery animes, but so far the ones I've seen have believable characters due to their construction, even with their 'abnormal' traits. Houtarou is not, he's the only "detective" I've seen that doesn't like thinking, which is really bothersome to me... that's why I would like an explanation.

It's not that I expect it, but rather I simply hope, otherwise I'll have a hard time taking this anime seriously.
Friedrich Schiller
May 3, 2012 2:09 PM

Mar 2012
That's fair, although I'm not certain he doesn't like thinking. Maybe he just doesn't like sharing his thoughts (and physically exerting himself of course), so we haven't gotten a glimpse of what's going on in his head on a regular basis. Which leads us to believe, as you said, that he's suddenly only doing deep thinking when it's mystery time.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
May 3, 2012 2:23 PM
Oct 2010
Hmm... maybe you're right. The main event prompting this thought is the "mystery" from this episode. Houtarou didn't seem a bit bothered by the borrowed book... But perhaps he was feigning disinterest instead (tsundere? jk) in order to avoid being dragged all over the place by Eru. This way, the reason for him not engaging in the mystery would be that the adversity to be overexerted outweighed the curiosity he could have had...

All right, for now I'll choose to think that was it.
Friedrich Schiller
May 3, 2012 3:07 PM

Jan 2012
xBlackRosex said:
Spacebar said:
xBlackRosex said:
If I was Oreki, I would be so annoyed by Chitanda. Seriously, why does she always go right up to his face? And push him into doing things? If he wants to go home, let him go home, don't be a bully! Not to mention he was in the middle of reading and she chucks the book right in front of his vision, goodness. She's not cute, she's selfish and irritating.

Have you watch The Melancholy of Haurhi Suzumiya ? Go watch that and you will see how good is Chitanda compared to Haruhi .

The difference of irritating/annoying/selfish is kinda big. I'm sure you will be flipping tables in that series if you can't handle chitanda in Hyouka .

Yes, I've seen that anime and I must say, while I'm not fond of tsundere characters (with the exception of Makise Kurisu) I still much prefer Haruhi to Chitanda. Maybe there's something else about Chitanda that I can't stand which I've yet to figure out what it is. On the other hand, maybe she'll grow on me as time goes on, it's only been two episodes after all.

Well annoy and irritate basically mean the same thing, they're just different words. Plus I said she was selfish and irritating which means, no matter what difference they have, she has two bad traits in my opinion.

I kinda like Chitanda because she's kinda similar to haruhi . She's like a new haruhi . And when I meant that , I am serious, both of them have the same attitude except haruhi is more dangerous.

Yeah maybe she will grow on you, so far its only 2 episodes. I guess it will take some time .
May 3, 2012 9:44 PM

Aug 2010
Chitanda is a miracle of the universe
May 4, 2012 1:12 PM

Jun 2009
Eru is ...annoying, and so is Houtarou for letting himself be dragged around. (21 eps of that? idk if I'll make it). Liked the secondary chars more.

Houtarou's inner brain scenario thingies are creepy and cool though and I like the way his thought process is animated. I call it the mind machine!
May 4, 2012 1:58 PM
Feb 2012
It's somehow difficult to put it into words but this show gives me a really comforting feeling while watching (that sentence could sound so wrong under different circumstances). Despite having only two episodes so far, Hyouka already won me over as a fan.
This week's episode, too, had the right amount of mystery paired with charm and humour. Even the little cliffhanger at the end felt completely right and makes one look forward to what might happen next. Easily 5/5
The release of atomic energy has not created a new problem. It has merely made more urgent the necessity of solving an existing one. - Albert Einstein
May 5, 2012 12:02 AM

Mar 2012
So cute... i hope a romance develops.

All the characters are likeable and the plot is pretty interesting.
But i hope the mysteries turn into something more seirous and entertaining to figure out instead of why did the same book get returned.
http://myanimelist.net/animelist/LuckyMango

http://myanimelist.net/mangalist/LuckyMango

Feel free to comment on my profile for anime recommendations.
Ill try my best to help! Remember don't message me. Comment!
May 5, 2012 12:32 AM

Feb 2008
Worst characters I saw this season, and I saw some bad characters. Why do Chitanda and MC have to be so annoying? I already hate her face and those freaky eyes, and she's too dumb. MC's depression and attitude is even more annoying than that.

The mystery was also pretty bad. I understand that the show is slice of life, but if they're doing mysteries, then make some good ones. It's like watching Blue's Clues meets K-On.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
May 5, 2012 5:55 AM

Dec 2010
was about to drop this show but apparent the show is finally trying to go somewhere with the plot. Okay I'm curious.
May 5, 2012 5:58 AM

Jun 2010
I just dislike the laziness of that Oreki! lol, he's being always lazy, but well that's him.
LOL
May 5, 2012 5:34 PM

Mar 2011
ZetaZaku said:
Worst characters I saw this season, and I saw some bad characters. Why do Chitanda and MC have to be so annoying? I already hate her face and those freaky eyes, and she's too dumb. MC's depression and attitude is even more annoying than that.

The mystery was also pretty bad. I understand that the show is slice of life, but if they're doing mysteries, then make some good ones. It's like watching Blue's Clues meets K-On.

Hmmm.... Worst characters is too harsh, but annoying maybe yes. But that personalities of the characters is what make some people love this show. Don't expect some hard core mystery.
I encourage you to drop this show based on your anime list...
May 5, 2012 6:38 PM
Apr 2012
I think Hyoka is not hard core mystery too. It shows a small mystery that happend in the ordinary Japanese high school life. I am satisfied Hyoka portrays such ordinary slice of life.
May 5, 2012 7:54 PM

May 2011
I just.. ugh.. aggravating people around here.

Oreki and Chitanda are awesome MCs.
May 6, 2012 1:29 AM
Nov 2009
ZetaZaku why the hell do you even watch anime, the scores you give seem to show that you don't enjoy it very much
I am me, we are we
May 6, 2012 2:23 AM

Mar 2010
I forced myself to watch another episode because I felt bad for dropping this after one but I seriously regret it. Not only are those mysteries completely dumb and un-interesting but also extremely predictable. Seriously, borrwing the book for a club is the first thing that came to my mind and it took them WHOLE episode to figure it out? That was so obvious! Why the hell did they even bother? If they are so bored they should get a job or help their parents more or something. Also, how can an honour roll student in Japan be so stupid? This show just refuses to make any sense. The lack of story doesn't really help it either. That being said, I'm over this show.
May 6, 2012 2:31 PM

Aug 2011
LOL confession.....
May 8, 2012 2:31 AM

Nov 2010
After the purple Eyes, now the Red Eyes as well! O.o
May 9, 2012 8:34 PM
May 2009
People are just so impatient
May 9, 2012 11:22 PM

Jun 2010
Ugh I hate Chitanda she's so annoying!
May 12, 2012 12:18 AM
Jul 2018
I really like this show so far. Can't really tell why, but I like it.
May 12, 2012 9:50 AM

Jul 2010
A bit better mystery this time, but the real mystery is what Eru is going to ask Houtaru at the end of the episode!

The OP and ED are fantastic!!!!!
May 13, 2012 11:15 AM

Dec 2010
CHITANDA IS SO MOEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 13, 2012 3:07 PM
Oct 2011
OP is obnoxious and needs to chill out about "slutty faces" and "males looking for spice." Good lord.

Chitanda is still obnoxious. (Main character guy has the right idea.)
Though I agree, she's pretty Moe. Obnoxious or not.
May 20, 2012 6:11 PM

Mar 2011
Better than the first episode, but still boring for the most part. However, the ciffhanger ending leaves hope for something more engaging in the following episodes.
May 26, 2012 10:50 PM

May 2010
He lost me lol
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Jun 5, 2012 1:19 PM

Apr 2012
Yumekichi11 said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------

My second favorite of Eru is the maid part in the spoiler
now that was also Moeru worth. The visuals there were nice.
Eru’s smiling face was great at that part. In fact from her first appearance here Eru’s face still captivates me. I liked how she started talking to Houtarou here and again she got close to him. Of course he blushes. Kind of awkward reaction from Houtarou and Eru here. Nice to see Eru thinking and handling a box. Seems she has no problems with manual labor. Loved seeing Eru and Houtarou side by side so close. No often do you see people close like that and give out a reaction like that. Usually they are shy or hysterical. Lovely Eru face in the spoiler

Regarding your spoiler with the 2 menus... [and I'm not sure if any one else has said this yet] but If you notice, one of them is red, the other blue. Oreki wanted to choose the blue menu, but was forced to pick the red one by Chitanda. If you haven't guessed already, this is a reference to the Matrix where they have 2 pills, the blue one, which makes everything go back to normal, and you get to live your normal life, and the red one, which makes you delve further into the mystery [further down the rabbit-hole]
Jul 6, 2012 3:06 AM

May 2012
im really enjoying this show so far. i feel like these mysteries are the type that you would find in PCP from bakuman and it makes me giggle

Jul 14, 2012 9:21 AM

May 2012
The mystery and cliffhanger were the best parts.
Aug 28, 2012 11:30 AM
Jan 2010
I'd go on a date with her.
Sep 25, 2012 1:07 AM

Sep 2011
This episode was a lot more intriguing than the first one, though the mystery itself was still fairly shallow. Cant blame them though, it is only the second episode. =p

Anyways... lets talk about whats important. CHITANDA'S HAIR! OMG. What a beauty.
Oct 9, 2012 10:08 AM

May 2012
Not a bad episode, pas of it is still quite slow so I'm moving to a speed of 1.10%!
The ending was quite an interesting cliff-hanger, let's see what's next!

The ED was also quite nice you could even call it slightly fan service :p
Oct 16, 2012 2:27 PM

Nov 2009
That was pretty funny, though I'm sure by confessing she means she wants to confess why she joined the classics club and why she is so hell bent on finding the anthologies which probably ties in to why she wants his help.
Oct 18, 2012 10:46 AM

Aug 2010
Interesting introduction of Ibaraki here.. And man Oreki and Chitanda looks good in casual clothes! I love their scene in the cafe! I think Chitanda is going to tell Oreki her secret in the next episode (assuming she has one)?
Oct 19, 2012 3:10 PM

Jun 2012
Dat ending
Dat ED

Oreki is really growing on me.
Oct 27, 2012 11:22 AM

Jan 2012
eru is cute indeed but im not even sure I like her... but then again still time to progress and such and this episode gripped me more than the first one did for sure, maybe this is just a slow starter?
Nov 17, 2012 7:35 AM

Sep 2012
houtarou is like smarter than he seems :P
Pages (8) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hyouka Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Yumekichi11 - Aug 5, 2012

186 by Dasfonia »»
Apr 16, 9:53 PM

» No romance here

KainiusTheGreat - Mar 10

25 by Margrave_Masane »»
Apr 13, 12:48 PM

Poll: » Hyouka Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Yumekichi11 - May 6, 2012

268 by Cammell »»
Apr 8, 1:27 PM

Poll: » Hyouka Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Veronin - Apr 22, 2012

491 by Prosper20 »»
Apr 5, 7:19 PM

Poll: » Hyouka Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Yumekichi11 - Aug 19, 2012

184 by dspr »»
Mar 3, 5:19 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.