Forum Settings
Forums

The persistence to watch shows you consider crappy

New
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Mar 14, 2012 3:44 AM

Aug 2009
If i'm half way trough, I am forced by my conscience to finish it whether it's crappy/not.

Mar 18, 2012 8:51 PM

Feb 2012
Meta-anime issues, but I don't generally pick things to watch that bring me no enjoyment at all. I still don't know how I managed to finish D. Gray-man. The things a person can do at the depths of boredom.
Mar 18, 2012 8:54 PM

Feb 2012
If I don't like the show, I'll stop watching it. It really is that simple.
Mar 18, 2012 9:18 PM

Jan 2011
My 'No Drop Policy' is absolute. It's a demonstration of human resilience and our ability to withstand exponentially increasing levels of shit. I also have OCD so I guess I really have a compulsion to finish what I start. Once I pick up a series, i.e. watch the pilot episode, it will be completed, although I may have to resort to self-mutilation and other forms of self-destructive behaviors to offset the pain caused by the viewing of such repulsively shitty animé series.

By that token, I'm fucking trying to kill myself after picking up Prince of Tennis. I'm on episode 6.
Everything needs more fanservice. Especially real life.
Mar 19, 2012 2:41 PM

Mar 2009
I usually try to give every show a chance, since a lot of shows are slow to begin (like blood+ for example). If it doesn't get going about halfway through, then I just laugh about how bad it is for the rest of the show. :D
In the end it's your choice whether to force yourself to watch it through till the end and think about how much it bores you, or find a way to enjoy it's stupidity. Anyway, it's best to watch crappy shows with friends^^

Mar 19, 2012 2:46 PM

Jan 2008
MeMadScientist said:

Pretty much this. Just because you don't like it or is someone else doesn't like it, that's no reason not to watch it.
Mar 19, 2012 5:00 PM

Mar 2011
I don't often find shows actually tedious to watch, and like I feel like I'm going out of my way to watch them, but when that happens, I feel like I shouldn't be defeated by the crapness of the anime, and so I try to watch it through so that I can beat it.

I failed 3 times, but someday I might try and finish two of them. Not Beezlebub though, it's too long.
Mar 19, 2012 5:16 PM

Dec 2010
I used to force myself to watch series, but then I realised I don't have the time or patience.
Mar 19, 2012 6:07 PM

Jun 2008
Paul said:
MeMadScientist said:

Pretty much this. Just because you don't like it or is someone else doesn't like it, that's no reason not to watch it.
I find your statement a bit hard to understand... there's like 3 negatives here, a triple negative? "does not", "no reason", "not to". I guess I'll just assume you put the quote into other words.
Mar 19, 2012 6:08 PM

Mar 2012
Apart from Soul Eater on my drop list , I feel I gave the shows a decent chance to grab my interest. If a series is only like 12 episodes long I will very likely finish what I started (maken ki im looking at u o.o), but if its a long anime like hitman and the episodes are still painful to watch after the number of episodes of a short series(e.g. 12), then I drop it. Though there have been few exceptions like naruto, where I slugged through it.
Oct 19, 2013 9:37 PM

May 2013
Ugh, yeah it happens a lot. I always watch them, I don't know why. After watching 800 anime, no anime is good enough to watch, so I just stick with the crappy ones.
Oct 19, 2013 9:41 PM

Jul 2012
I persist on watching some bad shows in the hopes of becoming better. I don't usually enjoy Bleach, but I watch it anyways, hoping it'll get better as it ocasionally has the moments of awesome. Same goes for Naruto.
Oct 19, 2013 9:56 PM

Jul 2011
I only drop shows if they're extremely boring to me. They can have a great plot and amazing character with superb animation, but if it's not entertaining me enough to stay hooked for whatever reason I'll drop it. I try to watch at least three episodes before deciding if it's worth it or not. I just realised though that my drop list is growing rather quickly, so I made myself a promise to not drop any new shows this season... even it can get painful at times watching shows that are not only boring, but just utterly horrendous (like Diabolik Lovers. I swear it's the first time I've been gritting my teeth in frustration throughout every single episode)
Oct 19, 2013 10:02 PM

Mar 2012
That's one heck of a necro. Oddly enough, the day this thread died was the day after I joined MAL.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Oct 19, 2013 10:06 PM

May 2013
Araby said:
That's one heck of a necro. Oddly enough, the day this thread died was the day after I joined MAL.

Yeah, it kind of annoyed me how a thread doesn't expire, and you can't create another one. Rather, you bump the thread, a million years ago or not.
Oct 19, 2013 10:10 PM

Nov 2010
Cocaine-guy said:
Araby said:

Yeah, it kind of annoyed me how a thread doesn't expire, and you can't create another one. Rather, you bump the thread, a million years ago or not.
Before making a new thread:

Use the search function to ensure your topic has not been created before. If the topic exists and is:
- factual, you should post in the original thread.
- conceptual, you should post in the original thread, unless:
a. the possibility of unique discussion exists, and
b. the last post is more than one month old.

Factual Topics: These threads discuss topics limited to an individual's experience and are unlikely to promote new thought or ideas. They do not expire and new posts may be added to the original discussion.
E.g.: What is your favorite xxx? What is the best/worst xxx? What was your first xxx?

Conceptual Topics: These threads contain topics larger than oneself and may promote new thoughts or ideas. If the possibility of unique discussion exists and the last post of the existing thread is more than one month old, the thread may be created anew.
Oct 19, 2013 10:19 PM

Oct 2013
I wonder what Tachii's up to these days. College overwhelming him? Figures.

Maybe that's why we have these new mods.
EgoFaptor is written all over this!
Oct 19, 2013 10:27 PM

Oct 2012
IntroverTurtle said:
Conceptual Topics: These threads contain topics larger than oneself and may promote new thoughts or ideas. If the possibility of unique discussion exists and the last post of the existing thread is more than one month old, the thread may be created anew.
Except I've seen discussion threads closed before because "op is obviously a troll bcuz the thread has been done before durrr"
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Oct 19, 2013 11:02 PM

May 2013
IntroverTurtle said:

b. the last post is more than one month old.

... oh, *ahem* my bad. I assumed that was the 'rule' without reading it since everyone is all like: "ohmygrud that thread has already been made DURRRR" but these threads are still quite good.
smellslikeshitOct 19, 2013 11:13 PM
Oct 20, 2013 4:09 AM

Nov 2011
Only masochist people keep watching a show they hate, I don't see other reason.
I luv u
Oct 20, 2013 9:21 AM

Jan 2013
I drop shows that bore me or aren't to my tastes.

The only show I considered crappy, but finished watching was Dragon Crisis. I had a thing for tsunderes at that time, hence I finished it.
A friend and I started ShoukoChan Anime T-shirts. We design modern and fashionable anime T-shirts you'd love to wear on a day out. Come check us out!
Oct 20, 2013 9:24 AM

Jul 2012
Jaguer91 said:
Only masochist people keep watching a show they hate, I don't see other reason.

Or just to find out if the show eventually gets good.
Or if the hated show is also fun to watch.
Oct 20, 2013 10:01 AM

Apr 2012
If you loathe something it's probably because it lacks something for you. I doubt anyone will find something to be "fun to watch" if it's "hated", those two don't go together.

Also, I always finish my shows. Why? Because I always choose shows I like, if I don't like a show I still finish it because I never truly "hate" something.

Autocrat said:
Hitler was good, objectively.
Oct 20, 2013 10:08 AM

Aug 2012
Biggest plausible reason? The (false) hope that a show will get better because it is similar to a show you thought was absolutely fantastic.

Other reasons?
  • Turning your brain off and having some laughs with your friends
  • Trying to broaden your horizons by watching something you'd normally turn away from
  • "It's so bad, it's entertaining"
  • To see what all the hate is all about (I did this with School Days)
This topic has not been locked and is still available for discussion.
Oct 20, 2013 10:29 AM

Mar 2012
"So bad, it's good," perfectly describes why I completed SAO and Tari Tari. Also, in SAO's case, there was the added bonus of my being able to take part in a massive shit-storm. Accurately trash talking specific things is much more enjoyable than just yelling about how something sucks (although that can be fun, too).
JoshOct 20, 2013 10:33 AM
LoneWolf said:
Oct 20, 2013 10:58 AM

Nov 2010
There's many reasons.

1. It's easier for an anime to start out good and end up bad than it is the other way, it happens every season. While I won't say it's a lot but I do run into anime where it takes a while to really like it or even a rewatch to really like it.

2. It expands my scope. Only after watching a bad anime or an anime that does things that I don't like do I know and reinforce what I do like. Also watching a bad anime before watching a good one makes it better.
- With this is also expanding my genre or type of anime scope. I take enjoyment in expanding them by watching shows from a genre I may not like much yet. And lately I've been watching shorts and music videos. No matter how much I dislike them, I can sit through 1 - 5 minutes easily.

3. Because I'm a completionist and don't want to leave anything unfinished. Even if I dropped an anime, I'd still be curious as to what happens next. I don't feel like I can move on until I see it, even if I know I will probably still hate what happens and will still end up hating the anime.

4. This kind of goes with the other one, but making my own judgement against it and participating in discussions. I like even talking about the things I hate in an anime, it's like venting. And I feel like to talk about the whole anime it's best to watch the whole thing, that way I can address everything. People often say you haven't watched the whole show so you can't say anything and dismiss people like that, but then if you finish it all, they say why did you finish it if you didn't like it, you're a troll and then dismiss you like that. I agree with the former, not with the latter.

There's other reasons, InfiniteRufus had a good list in another thread.
Oct 20, 2013 11:11 AM
May 2012
I will finish just about anything, good or bad. Sometimes they turn out to be not so bad by then end.
I have only dropped 2 shows, almost dropped a third but managed to get through it, just barely.
"There is no more effective method of concealment than the broadest publicity."
"naw just be like "in facist america burger is you comrade""
"if maps are hard, suicide is impossible"
Oct 20, 2013 11:22 AM

Dec 2012
I sometimes keep going for silly reasons and end up hating myself for doing so. More often than not I will drop something if I think it's bad or not enjoyable. I'm gonna delude myself with bullshit reasons like:

I'm a completionist ( more like a masochist), it might turn to be good, I can participate in shit storms and be relevant in discussion ( that one is quite sad), it will make me appreciate the anime I consider good, it's so bad it's good ( never got this)

I think all of those reasons are pure crap. Watching anime or doing w/e hobby shouldn't be a chore.
Oct 20, 2013 1:13 PM

May 2009
I had to go look at my anime list because I could not think of an anime off the top of my head. But yeah now looking at it I did persist through Clannad and Ai Yori Aoshi: Enishi.

With Clannad it was such a big deal and I wanted to see what all the fuss was about, did not pay off. With Ai Yori Aoshi: Enishi I thought it was going to be good because the first season wasn't that bad and that also did not pay off.

Eh but now and days I am just getting so damn picky that I will stick around for three episodes and then drop it if I don't like it.
Oct 20, 2013 1:26 PM

Mar 2012
tsudecimo said:
I sometimes keep going for silly reasons and end up hating myself for doing so. More often than not I will drop something if I think it's bad or not enjoyable. I'm gonna delude myself with bullshit reasons like:

I'm a completionist ( more like a masochist), it might turn to be good, I can participate in shit storms and be relevant in discussion ( that one is quite sad), it will make me appreciate the anime I consider good, it's so bad it's good ( never got this)

I think all of those reasons are pure crap. Watching anime or doing w/e hobby shouldn't be a chore.
At least for me, this usually means that something can unintentionally be viewed as a comedy. Bad fan-fiction can be funny, right? It's just like that, except that it's not fan-fiction.
LoneWolf said:
Oct 20, 2013 1:27 PM

May 2012
I really want to know how it ends.
To see if it gets better.
Like "Life" or "Free!" (no offense to all you Free! Swim Club fans).
But nowadays I don't see the point in pushing myself to waste time on reading/watching something I loathe, so I try to drop it when I think it's getting ridiculous.
Or sometimes, i keep watching it because it's so bad that it's funny.
Oct 20, 2013 1:29 PM

Oct 2012
since i already started it i may as well finish a show i hate
RRRRRRRRRR
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» can you tolerate spicy food?

removed-user - Mar 31

43 by Smugdear »»
48 seconds ago

» Do you love anyone in your life?

LenRea - Mar 31

34 by chocomayu »»
13 minutes ago

» Have you pushed yourself beyond your comfort zone

ST63LTH - May 6

15 by chocomayu »»
14 minutes ago

» what would you do if you had infinite money? ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Apr 5

60 by chocomayu »»
17 minutes ago

» Has anyone ever told you in real life that "You are enough"?

LenRea - Apr 30

45 by chocomayu »»
18 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.