Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 16, 2011 9:47 AM

Nov 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
A guy fixing Hyui's violin.

The woman's eyes are weird.

lol @ Dalian's comment about her good violin play!! So she looks like the famous violinist. To the extend that there are some songs that only she can play.

In the room with the woman (also robot) playing violin and another woman/robot playing piano...

Certain people are using the woman to play the music and use the power the forbidden books and control audiences...

The guy made her, the robot with emotion to stop the plan...

At least the note by her before the piece telling people to run away. She's buried.

That girl with young Hyui saying good bye.
tsubasaloverSep 16, 2011 9:51 AM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Sep 16, 2011 3:01 PM

Sep 2008
I was not impressed with the episode.
The music was not half bad, but I just wasn't interested I guess.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 16, 2011 5:11 PM

Jul 2009
Dalian is wittier and whinier than ever when it comes to Huey and other women. I love it.
On Moderating: Building a more complete anime database.
Spica: Anime, manga, idols.
Sep 16, 2011 6:23 PM

Oct 2009
This episode was probably odd to the point where the plan to brainwash everyone goes awry and instead destroys the building itself is unbelievable...

Otherwise, it wasn't interesting enough?

7/10

Sep 16, 2011 9:49 PM

Aug 2010
Still very episodic but it was interesting at the end.
Sep 17, 2011 12:38 AM

Feb 2011
First glance already have the feeling that Christina is a doll because she's not blinking.

arsonal said:
Dalian is wittier and whinier than ever when it comes to Huey and other women. I love it.

Yup but I don't like the part where she throws a plate to Huey she's getting a lil bit violent hehehe but she's still cute.
Sep 17, 2011 2:17 AM

Jul 2011
Wish I couldve heard some more of the violin piece, it was pretty good.
Sep 17, 2011 4:44 AM
Sep 2011
Christabel has a striking resemblance to the girl from uta no prince-sama concerning her eyes, they're so creepy >_< The music on the other hand was fantastic, does anyone know who composed it?

Looks like Huey and Dalian will meet the other biblioprincess in the next episode...
Sep 17, 2011 6:34 AM

Aug 2010
Woot musical episode :D reminds me of the other homunculus story earlier in the series, though this time around the ending's pretty bittersweet
lol at Huey's fail violin playing
I honestly never thought she was a doll though, maybe hypnotized but not a doll ._.
Phantom score, that's actually pretty cool =o though the spotlight's definitely in the ending with chibi Huey and that lotus girl o_o looks like we get some more uhh significant development next episode
Sep 17, 2011 7:05 AM

Oct 2010
I wish there was more going on that just one episode stories.
After credits showed a little more about Disward past and the librarian, hopefully they will elaborate more on that before the series ends
huh?
Sep 17, 2011 8:09 AM

Jan 2010
I still say it makes more sense if that kid's Wes.
Dear Math,
I'm not a therapist. Solve your own problems.

Oh, and Algebra?
Stop asking us to find your ex, she's NEVER coming back.
Sep 17, 2011 8:56 AM

Jun 2011
That girl's eyes reminded me of Aegis from Persona 3, and she was a robot so that's an added bonus. (owo)b

And where is Flam?! I really want to see her again, she was so awesome.
Sep 17, 2011 9:31 AM

May 2011
Knew something was wrong with her when I finally noticed that line in her neck, just couldn't think of the word doll till it was said lol. And another good person dies in this anime.

Oooh I wanna know more about that silver haired girl in the biblolibrary, Huey seems to really have meant a lot to her.
Sep 17, 2011 11:30 AM

May 2010
Message through music...amazing writing.
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Sep 17, 2011 12:36 PM
Nov 2010
I love the part when a demon appeared(representing twilight) it was so cool.
Sep 17, 2011 1:13 PM

Feb 2010
Pretty good episode... but I want more HAL AND FLAM... nowwww <333

Oh yeah, and I kinda think Flamberge is...

... but we'll seeee.
Sep 17, 2011 2:35 PM
Aug 2011
It was a nice episode, I felt bad for the man who just wanted to make his creation happy. A dream he will never reach.

Also the ending, the lady saying goodbye to her ephemeral dream, such haunting yet beautiful words. I do feel for her.

I think this show is underrated, though I can see where it could be improved.
Sep 17, 2011 2:54 PM

Jun 2009
Not half bad with pretty good bgm there, better than few earlier episodes.

Now that i think about it, that girl in the flashbacks(?) thingy looks like Flam (they even got the same eye color), doesn't she? But why would she be with Hal now is she can't leave that library then? : o
Also, Rasiel next episode seems good. : D
レッツゴー ED イケイケゴーゴー
Sep 17, 2011 9:59 PM

Dec 2007
Oh Dantalian; I expected so much from you...

Like episode 9, the concept of this episode was great, but it required more than an episode to really flesh out. Unfortunately,like episode 9, the fault of this episode was not the story (or the music, which was really quite good)...

Like the last episode, the animation in this episode was inexcusably cheap. The first severe indication of this was about 9 minutes in, with the literal "Dalian slide" from behind a wall. I would have let it go if it wasn't for the climax, where the action of the episode is supposed to be. Rather than show the main characters' escape from the crumbling concert hall with all the impressive detail they could have, Gainax chose to present a slideshow (there really isn't any other word for it) of mediocre drawings. I understand that Gainax is operating within a budget, but the past two episodes have been some of the most overt examples of poor animation that I can recall. No studio should be willing to put their stamp on this and claim it as their own.

(A couple people have reminded me of episode 26 of Evangelion and the popsicle stick episode of Kare Kano, but really, I thought Gainax had moved beyond the late 90's).

Overall, episode 10 does not bode well for this series which seemed to have so much potential. We have little to no character development for Hugh or Dalian (which is particularly egregious since, by their very natures, tsunderes require development). We have mysterious characters from earlier episodes (the villain from ep. 5, and the other pair from ep. 6) who have no explanation. To cap it all off, we have a character from the OP (the girl with the keyhole eyepatch) who hasn't even shown up.

With two episodes remaining, this series may be salvageable, but I am really worried about the direction its headed.
BdiahSep 17, 2011 10:02 PM
Sep 17, 2011 11:03 PM

May 2011
Though it wasn't the best of episodes, it was still good. However, the thing that got me really excited was the title of the next episode!!! Finally we're gonna learn more about Rasiel and Professor!

I’m just trying to be okay. Some days it’s harder than others. I hide away the most real parts of myself from everyone else. The emotions that I try to escape from. The constant pain I feel. The nightmares that keep me awake at night.

It hurts sometimes... knowing that the world is continuing happily all around me while I continue to drown in alcohol and slowly die inside myself.

Sep 18, 2011 3:02 AM

Jun 2009
Bdiah said:
To cap it all off, we have a character from the OP (the girl with the keyhole eyepatch) who hasn't even shown up.
She was in the flashback in episode 6 with her keyholder. Also they're gonna appear next episode looking on preview.
レッツゴー ED イケイケゴーゴー
Sep 18, 2011 2:07 PM

Jul 2008
Not sure what this show can accomplish in two more episodes.
Sep 18, 2011 3:05 PM

Dec 2009
GarLogan78 said:
Not sure what this show can accomplish in two more episodes.

Agreed. What the main characters do all the time is to search for the books, but there isn't a real story behind it. It's not explained about Flamberg, Hal or even the eye-patch girl.
So i don't know how it'll end. If the anime were good, i would hope for a second season. But this sucks.
Sep 19, 2011 12:27 PM

Aug 2009
the scene where Dallaglio is making Christabel reminded me of Rozen Maiden.
BTW, are they going to make a 3rd season? they stopped the show at a cliffhanger >_<
Sep 19, 2011 12:51 PM

May 2008
I enjoyed this more than the last episode only because I have a weakness for violins..so I thought some of the music was beautiful.

Sep 19, 2011 2:52 PM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
Oh, Nakahara Mai. What a pleasant surprise. <3

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Sep 19, 2011 3:24 PM

Aug 2008
Well Disward could have saved the man by reading that book that brings people back to life while he was chatting with him lol.
Sep 21, 2011 11:08 PM

Nov 2007
meh when will we see more of Hal and Flamberge? or whatever their names were?

this was also a not so great episode. it was obvious from the start she was a boring robot and nothing great would happen.
Sep 26, 2011 2:00 PM

Aug 2008
This was a very average episode that could have been much more if it had managed to draw any emotion from me, and if I hadn't seen everything coming after watching the first 5 minutes. We're coming up fast on the end of the season and I'm expecting more than this at this point.

Sep 27, 2011 5:24 PM
Mar 2011
The whole Violin subplot reminded me of the 2nd episode of Senko no Night Raid, with the violinist sending messages through music.
Oct 18, 2011 5:36 PM

Jul 2010
ok this is actually getting boring now, i want SOMTHING to happen.

Oct 19, 2011 8:21 AM

Jun 2011
For me this episode is rather soothing. I like the song played by Christabel although it was only for a short moment.

I'm kinda glad the bad guy died buried under the hall they own build~
Oct 20, 2011 9:24 PM

Apr 2009
Lestrade said:
Christabel has a striking resemblance to the girl from uta no prince-sama concerning her eyes, they're so creepy &gt;_&lt;

OMG I thought I was the only one who finds Haruka's eyes in uta no prince-sama, creepy! Thank you! Sorry for this obvious OT reply.

It was an OK episode for me, I only liked the music in this episode even though it was short for obvious reasons.
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Apr 10, 2012 3:44 AM

May 2008
I am freaking sick and tired of seeing people die . The stories are okay but why why why why why do people have to die . Oh well 2 more episodes lets make it count.

Awesome Sig by Lailide
May 20, 2012 7:59 AM

May 2010
Bdiah said:

Like the last episode, the animation in this episode was inexcusably cheap. The first severe indication of this was about 9 minutes in, with the literal "Dalian slide" from behind a wall. I would have let it go if it wasn't for the climax, where the action of the episode is supposed to be. Rather than show the main characters' escape from the crumbling concert hall with all the impressive detail they could have, Gainax chose to present a slideshow (there really isn't any other word for it) of mediocre drawings. I understand that Gainax is operating within a budget, but the past two episodes have been some of the most overt examples of poor animation that I can recall. No studio should be willing to put their stamp on this and claim it as their own.

First off, what does "inexcusably cheap" even mean? Should a studio be ashamed to be not wealthy? Second off, you seem to be mistaking artistic decisions for animation quality. The Dalian slide was intended to be mildly amusing, and the "so-called slideshow" is a classic staple of anime that's been used for dramatic effect since the seventies. As for the previous episode, it was very intentional and would not have been able to create the same atmosphere with smoother or flashier animation. Whether you like these artistic decisions or not, it's insulting to the people who made them to just assume they're just shortcuts for saving money.
“Money can't buy dere”
Aug 23, 2012 2:03 AM

Aug 2010
I liked the story overall, they didn't settle on whether the doll had free will or not, everybody is free to believe what they wish. Still, I I think the explanation as to how she evolved was pretty good. Out of money again Gainax? That slideshow was jarring. 4/5.
Jan 30, 2013 11:08 PM
Mar 2009
Dalian is so useless. This is the second time she's been restrained as soon as Huey gets knocked out.

Oh, and what happened to the, I don't know, Book of Healing?

I realize this series is quite episodic, but we still haven't had a mention of Huey and his relation to the girl in the library and there's only two episodes left...
Not to mention the other Biblioprincess and Keykeeper pair that are apparently "bad".

I did like the music though. A shame the sonata was cut short by the falling building.
Feb 5, 2013 10:57 AM

Jun 2012
Why is everyone dying?!
Jul 20, 2014 7:30 AM

Apr 2010
Hmmm it was a decent episode. Again there are characters in the OP who weren't introduced. Either that or they're all Dalian. That'd be abit of a let down. Two more episodes to go yet no plot almost.
Jul 31, 2014 10:42 AM

Mar 2013
Predictable, but beautiful. And I agree that it's a letdown that it's still being so episodic. I like the themes in the series, the environments, the atmosphere, the music... but, it lacks a good main plot. Something that really makes you want to watch the next episode.
Sep 18, 2014 9:52 AM

Aug 2013
Best episode for now!!

Harlequina said:
Predictable, but beautiful. And I agree that it's a letdown that it's still being so episodic. I like the themes in the series, the environments, the atmosphere, the music... but, it lacks a good main plot. Something that really makes you want to watch the next episode.

But Mushishi is plotless to (even more than this show) , and still is very good ;)
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Jun 2, 2015 1:23 PM

Jun 2010
Goddamned I hate dalian and her ugly personality. Who is she to insult someone and then call them rude? And she's like a kid who's afraid of strangers.

About the episode. I think they're always a bit too obvious. You could easily see that girl wasn't a human. So there's no suspension.
yoite-Jun 3, 2015 4:44 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 20, 2017 2:34 PM
Aug 2014
I'd like to believe they made it obvious she was a doll, so you could focus on deciding whether she had a soul or not.

Wish they didn't introduce the book that allows them to revive people, because when the mechanic died I expected them to do just that. Now it seems they're just arbitrarily deciding who is worth reviving and who isn't.
Jun 17, 2020 5:39 AM

Aug 2012
Two good eps in a row gives me false hope this show might be stronger towards the end.

Agree @Lorezhno that the revive book means any time they don't use it feels rather callous on their part. Though in this case there probably wasn't time.
Apr 20, 2021 7:26 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Now it's about music, that was pretty interesting, especially the usage of a robot to play a legendary hard/cursed song
Apr 22, 3:54 PM

Dec 2022
How many times is Huey going to be held captive before he learns to have his guard up? He and Dalian contribute absolutely nothing to these episodic plots most of the time, since they somehow manage to carelessly blunder their way into being unwilling spectators at the slightest sign of danger.

Shaded Horizon

More topics from this board

Poll: » Dantalian no Shoka Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tsubasalover - Sep 30, 2011

108 by Archean-Return »»
Apr 22, 5:59 PM

Poll: » Dantalian no Shoka Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tsubasalover - Sep 23, 2011

64 by Archean-Return »»
Apr 22, 5:06 PM

Poll: » Dantalian no Shoka Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tsubasalover - Sep 9, 2011

82 by Archean-Return »»
Apr 22, 3:00 PM

Poll: » Dantalian no Shoka Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tsubasalover - Sep 2, 2011

59 by Archean-Return »»
Apr 22, 1:50 PM

Poll: » Dantalian no Shoka Episode 7 Discussion

Yumekichi11 - Aug 26, 2011

48 by Archean-Return »»
Apr 22, 12:31 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.