Forum Settings
Forums
THE LEGEND OF THE STRONGEST, KUROSAWA!
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 10, 2011 4:28 AM

May 2008
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
That was amazing, surprisingly the pacing wasn't an issue like most of Fukumoto's other manga and Kurosawa's such a fantastic character as well, sad how he ended up but then again I don't think it could have ended any better.

9/10
Oct 2, 2011 1:01 PM

Feb 2010
saintcross said:
That was amazing, surprisingly the pacing wasn't an issue like most of Fukumoto's other manga and Kurosawa's such a fantastic character as well, sad how he ended up but then again I don't think it could have ended any better.

9/10

Eh, I never saw Fukumoto's pacing as an issue. I saw it more as a means to create suspense and tension. Kurosawa didn't need suspense or tension; It was, quite simply, a beautiful story.

I read this some time back... It truly was a great experience. I loved the ending, though it was somewhat hard to deal with.
Mar 25, 2012 10:47 PM

Mar 2009
Interesting ending but seriously the entire manga could have been way better.
Nov 5, 2012 8:34 AM
Aug 2007
*spoilers! DONT READ IF YOU HAVEN't FINISHED THE MANGA!*

Somewhat disappointed that he actually died :/ Great story overall though, enjoyed it a lot..
Jan 14, 2013 5:53 PM

Dec 2009
That was quite sad. Well at least he ended his life with a bang.
Jan 20, 2013 10:45 AM

Oct 2008
AlexSadist-sama said:
Interesting ending but seriously the entire manga could have been way better.

I agree, I was going to give this a 7/10 but the final arc bumped it up for an 8/10
Jul 8, 2013 10:12 AM

Oct 2008
T_T This manga was amazing.
Beautiful ending, and I'm glad Kurosawa died, it would've been so cliche if he had miraculously came back to life. Besides, if he had been left alive, there would've been no closer on his character since he hasn't fixed his life at all. He's pretty much been fighting for others for most of the series.
Sep 18, 2013 1:25 PM

Mar 2010
Nooo the shit tosser has died :(
Nov 24, 2013 9:55 AM

Aug 2011
I actually dropped 3 tears for this ending

Goodbye Kurosawa, you fought well, now you can take a break from this battlefield life is. I will never forget you.
Nov 27, 2013 8:19 PM

Jul 2010
That was really brilliant, that analogy with the ant was simply superb. 9/10
Unexpected ending, but perfect.

Fukumoto is a god among us ..
Wait I take it back
He's just more human than us.
Mar 14, 2014 3:13 PM

Jan 2012
This was simply amazing...now I'm sad
May 12, 2014 9:20 PM

Aug 2013
That ending was fantastic, but it left me feeling so emotional, my god, why did it have to be so sad. But either way, this was brilliant, Kurosawa is definitely going on my list of favorite characters, this was a great story and I'll probably start reading more of Fukumoto's works. I'm glad I read this manga, it really changed my perspectives on a lot of things. 9/10
Nov 16, 2014 1:34 PM

Apr 2011
Loved it.

Long live Kurosawa!
Nov 18, 2014 6:27 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
The ending was superb and bumped the score up a bit for me. A ver uplifting tale about the human spirit. Kurosawa came a long way from the first chapter. Character development done right. It would have been silly to suddenly see him become successful or score with women with the limitations he had. But the way he went, that fit his personality well.
FarabeufNov 18, 2014 7:41 AM
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jun 25, 2015 8:38 AM

Oct 2012
Well, it was an enjoyable experience, makes you think about how you spend your life and look at your past carefully.

Overall it was great, but it lacked variety, the things seemed to repeat too much.

Also, need to mention that there is a continuation for this manga: Shin Kurosawa(The New Kurosawa) - we find out that Kurosawa was actually in coma, not dead and so his adventures continue - looking forward to see how it turns out.

In my opinion it's still below the Ten/Akagi in quality, but it's nice to see that author isn't only stuck in mahjong and can actually support multiple manga's at same time.
Oct 27, 2015 6:25 AM

Mar 2013
Amazing ending
Since there is a continuation I suppose Kuro didn't die
Dec 11, 2015 2:46 PM

Jul 2015
Read this while it was slow on the job and my co-workers asked me if I was ok... This ending hit me like a truck. 9/10

I definitely have to agree that if it ended any other way, it would have been too cheesy.
Mar 5, 2016 10:27 AM

Jan 2008
What a GLORIOUS fucking ride this was.

Excellent writing, character development and some evergreen lessons about (the not so bright side of) life. Kurosawa is easily Fukumoto's best character and also one of the greatest I've ever "met" in any anime/manga.

Loses a point because of the retarded "Detective Conan" part around chapter 50 (and I also had a few minor gripes about some not so lifelike situations in the early chapters), but aside from these, it was a worthwile read.

9/10

(And no, I don't need Shin Kurosawa...)
JunchiMar 5, 2016 10:32 AM
Use your brain before using your keyboard!
Jun 1, 2017 1:11 PM
Jul 2018
That was a good ride. I knew how Fukumoto used social commentary in kaiji, kinda interesting to see how he uses an old, socially awkward guy like Kurosawa here as his mouthpiece. Some seriously amazing metaphors throughout the whole manga, which prompted me to raise the score by one, even though it had some pacing issues early on and the initial chapters were a bit lackluster. Some weird and cringey events too(understandably) but that didn't distract me too much. Fantastic ending too, overall 8.4/8.5.
Sep 7, 2017 1:40 AM

Sep 2016
holy shit this is so good, i'm still jealous of that lucky son of a bitch nakane though lol
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Apr 18, 2018 9:12 PM

Jan 2015
GangsterCat said:
holy shit this is so good, i'm still jealous of that lucky son of a bitch nakane though lol
Of the manga characters that haven't been in an anime, Nakane's one of my favourites (because Kurosawa technically has been in an anime).
May 17, 2018 12:42 AM

Aug 2016
Words aren´t enough to express how this succeeded to be one of the most emotional manga I ever witnessed. Word.
:v
May 17, 2018 12:53 PM
May 2018
Fukomoto's works are overall brillant, but this one really touched me, the final was so sublime, made me thing deeply about life. Thanks Nobuyuki Fukumoto
May 18, 2018 6:44 PM
Nov 2015
Wiziliz said:
GangsterCat said:
Of the manga characters that haven't been in an anime, Nakane's one of my favourites (because Kurosawa technically has been in an anime).

What anime are you talking about?
May 18, 2018 7:15 PM

Jan 2015
MikeBison said:
Wiziliz said:

What anime are you talking about?
Kaiji. Kurosawa has a cameo in the second opening, aha.
Oct 6, 2018 4:23 PM

May 2015
Definitely one of the best manga I've ever read.
Dec 8, 2018 2:17 AM

Mar 2017
Oh man, you would not believe how hard I cried when I finished this chapter yesterday evening. That was a sad, but very beautiful way to end this legend of the strongest man, the one and only Kurosawa. The last chapter or two really summarized the central message very well, and his story is way too relatable.

The metaphore with the ants was really fitting, and it really conveys the struggles he went through. And in the end, we will all celebrate the one ant who managed to hit the critical blow, even if it cost its life! As longs as we fight and we struggle and we give it our best, it will all be worth it! Because at the very least going out with a bang is all we can hope for. Success or defeat, it doesn't matter.

Ah, I'm tearing up again. This manga certainly had some slower parts or one's that were pretty weird, but its charm never wore off and it never overstayed its welcome.

For now I'll give it a 9/10. Kurosawa has earned his way in my favorites!
May 2, 2019 5:34 PM

Jun 2016
This story was too damn moving. Like Devilman: Crybaby it touched my heart as a story of how to live in an cruel, unfair, nihilistic world. Neither hide what life is like in idealism, things don't always work out for the better. No one is perfect. It may be weird to compare the two but the way they tell their story and the way they end are just so perfect at getting their message across.

For Kurosawa's life to end after fighting a battle that could be seen as meaningless from afar for one single old lady he just met is perfection. If it ended in grandeur it would go against everything Kurosawa stood for. He didn't turn into a symbolic dragon during a fierce battle, he didn't even get to take part in the victory, he solely tried his hardest and inspired his allies. He didn't become a demon or a dragon, he became an ant. I've seen the ant panel constantly and I always assumed he would run into ants being crushed as if they were nothing and hold one up and ask, "am I as insignificant as an ant" and with that preconception, it made what it actually stood for far more moving. Through Kurosawa's life he learned to face reality and fight, to make sacrifices and live, and by doing so he ended up relating more with the admirable ant who makes a critical hit in a hopeless battle over his younger self. We are all ants in this world, there's no promise it will have a glorious ending. No promise we will succeed in anyway. And the only way we can hope to get by this cruel existence is by trying our darn hardest and fighting! If we do that we can at the very least go out doing all we could have done to win.

We should respect everything fighting through life. That ant is darn admirable and if I can die an ant I'll be happy too. I'm amazed by this manga. It is so hard for me because I went back and forth on it. I found the beginning somewhat boring, I loved the Nakane arc more than anything, then I went back and forth constantly as we hit the Pro Wrestler, Attackers, and Hobo arc. Like Kurosawa said his life had no coherent plot, its messy narratively and Kurosawa was growing in ways he probably didn't even understand. But despite each individual part being harder to adore by itself like something such as Kaiji, as a whole the story of a man's misfortune leading to a rebirth, going from surviving to living and learning what to fight for is wonderful.

Kurosawa was awesome and so human he was hard to get a read on but always absolutely relatable, rash, and unique. He was like the essence of his ideals but with huge human flaws what made him nearly leave these homeless for his own safety moments before their fight. He has slip ups constantly. On the flip side, Nakane and Ono are morally gray brothers for life, one's a sadistic and idealistic brat who nonetheless is fighting in his own way, the other is a angry brute, both which idealize Kurosawa's samurai nature. Asai was adorable and him chasing after Kurosawa will forever be one of my favorite manga moments, Sakaguchi was an everyday reliable badass with subdued respect for Kurosawa, and Akane was adorable. This whole cast may be centered around Kurosawa more than standing out on their own but I think they all did a good job.

Even though I would argue the peaks were the rebirth of Kurosawa and the hobo war we just read, I would say the rest was awesome for making this manga feel as real as it did. It flowed, and it had constant lows and struggles. This is definitely a manga that embodies the whole is greater than the sum of its parts for me. As a reflection on how we ought to live through this existence and have meaningful lives, well I'd say only this and Crybaby touch it and both tackle very different but oddly similar aspects on my reading of them, especially empathy.

Lastly, I want to note that I had predicted Kurosawa would see a montage of his good memories but Fukumoto would never be that cliche. NO HE MAKES ME SEE AN ANTS ADMIRABLE BATTLE.

I wanted to give this an 8/10 but now I feel it may be a 9/10 and regardless I have to sit on it for awhile. If it stays in my mind and life influencing me it'll be a 9 for sure. My singular serious problem was how out of character Kurosawa's quick thinking intellect came from, especially in his battle of Okehazama.

Edit: I wanted to update this post to say over time this series has impacted my life in such a meaningful way that I've rated this 10/10. I can't separate what it means to be alive from what this text suggests anymore and it's measurably made my life better. Even though I had small qualms with it on my first read, they are water drops in the ocean now.
gfsdfgsdgsdfgsNov 28, 2019 7:55 AM
Jun 13, 2019 2:42 AM
Jul 2018
I am beyond speechless after reading this one. Definitely the strongest man of the century he was....
Jul 17, 2020 2:06 PM

Nov 2008
Initially was going to give this a 5/10 as i did not find Kurosawa to be relatable character, but this final arc bumped it to 7/10 - it was touching and somewhat inspiring.
AnimeThemes.moe <- the largest collection of anime Openings & Endings on the Web
AnimeMusicQuiz.com <- guess an anime from your list by it's Opening/Ending music browser game
Jul 17, 2020 7:46 PM
Aug 2015
E meus amigos. Melhor manga ja escrito. Nao vou escrever resenha, nem validar a infirmaçao, por que pensando bem, eu mudo a cada 3 dias. Mas to querendo opinioes sobre o manga, eu razovel meten falo espanhol, foca aberto ai.
Aug 13, 2020 12:19 PM
Mar 2016
Wow I didn't expect him to die in the end.....I mean yeah he was pretty brutally injured but come onnn!!

As of right now this is the saddest ending I've seen in a manga. That was beautiful, tragic, but that's life even when it's bitter.

Kurosawa's the MAN. It was great to see him grow from a timid old man to a Strong Leader and a True Fighter. Not to mention accidentally putting himself in danger everytime it's hilarious af. Such a great guy. He really feels.. 'Human' and grounded.

As for the whole manga itself it was fun. Wierdly enough I haven't laughed this hard while reading a manga either. The Initial parts were cringyly funny. Like that part where he goes to those delinquent's school to fight or him trying to putting fried fish in his worker's food LOL.

Kinda Disappointing it was kinda repetitive with him getting into fights everything but its different and lifts the stakes everytime. The final arc was a direct call back to 'The Seven Samurai' which ofc is a masterpiece. (Everyone needs to watch it if you haven't!)

I was sceptical going into a non gambling manga by Fukumoto but it was great. He's a damn genius who really knows how to write raw, instense stuff. It was fun and had great life lessons. Win or lose one must always fight in life! I see it has a sequel, is he still alive somehow..?? Guess I'll have to find out. 9/10, might put it into my favorites.

Wow I really did write a lot, don't mind carry on..
Darkfiend47Aug 13, 2020 12:23 PM
Dec 4, 2020 3:39 AM

Jul 2019
Hands down greatest manga I've ever read. It was so fun and sad at the same time.

Ending was fantastic. Well done Kurosawa.
Feb 18, 2021 2:52 PM

Jan 2013
Years later and the ending is still beyond fantastic
Nov 12, 2021 8:38 PM
Mar 2020
So sad and inspiring. My favorites were first arc with delinquents, arc with wrestlers (a golden comedy) and last arc with hobos.
Mar 14, 2022 8:10 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
That was extremely emotional, I'm not disappointed at all, Fukumoto's writing is really excellent to the point that it's clearly one of the best things I've read and I can say the same with his other works, I should have expected this kind of ending but damn, this is so sad, masterpiece overall.
May 30, 2022 11:56 AM
Aug 2019
it legitimately changed my outlook on life
Sep 12, 2022 9:19 PM
Jul 2020
God damn what a cool ending. Such a fantastic read
Apr 22, 6:14 AM

Aug 2013
Reply to Tanma
Amazing ending
Tanma said:

At first I thought it was a prequel story of Kurosawa's life, but it looks like he was actually alive and after the battle he was knocked into a coma for 8 years. Knowing that ruined my enjoyment of this ending a little bit to be honest.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Legend of the Strongest Man Kurosawa Chapter 68 Discussion

AlexSadist-sama - Mar 25, 2012

4 by H_Erifu »»
Apr 16, 4:28 AM

Poll: » Legend of the Strongest Man Kurosawa Chapter 60 Discussion

MagEarwhig - Aug 9, 2011

9 by burningjustice »»
Apr 14, 3:46 PM

» The official English translation is terrible! Why?!

TheMAM - Aug 4, 2023

4 by TheMAM »»
Aug 5, 2023 1:28 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Strongest Man Kurosawa Chapter 67 Discussion

AlexSadist-sama - Mar 25, 2012

5 by outolunch »»
May 28, 2023 9:20 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Strongest Man Kurosawa Chapter 49 Discussion

AlexSadist-sama - Mar 24, 2012

13 by Jim_Heart »»
Mar 21, 2023 5:59 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.