Forum Settings
Forums
THE LEGEND OF THE STRONGEST, KUROSAWA!
Available on Manga Store
New
Aug 4, 2023 8:20 PM

Jul 2017
I ask if you would direct your attention to this wonderful manga at the MyAnimeList store. You can check out previews of each volume and take a peak at the official English translations. May I ask, why are they illegible most of the time?
https://myanimelist.net/store/manga/786/THE_LEGEND_OF_THE_STRONGEST_KUROSAWA

Why does it seem like they took the literal words in Japanese and converted them into English without considering context? For example, going by Volume 1 preview:
- when someone leaves they say "Excuse me!" when that's something someone says in Japanese but not English.
- when Kurosawa refers to having no emotion from sports, he just refers to it as 'that' instead of filling in the audience on what that is.
- awkward lines like "What I wanted... wasn't something like that... just my own... only my... my emotion I had expected!". He talks about how he wants deep emotion relating to his own achievements and not for something like national pride or soccer, but this translation doesn't convey that at all.

I could go on but you can see the other volume previews for yourselves and get what I'm saying. It's like they put the Japanese through Google Translate and called it a day, just the most rushed job. No passion or care for the work they'd been given, and we're left with this unreadable mess. And this isn't just the MyAnimeList store mind you, this translation is the same on other official websites like mangaplanet.com (I checked). This is the official English translation.

I haven't read much manga but this's one of the best manga ever. Why can't I support this mangaka and his awesome work if it's being handled like this? This's too cruel.
TheMAMAug 4, 2023 8:25 PM
Aug 4, 2023 8:36 PM

Oct 2020
I didn't think that the translation was this bothersome and really enjoyed the series as much as it intended to without knowing what it's saying in Japanese.
I think you are a little bit over enthusiastic about it.
I have never seen such an oddly specific translation post lol
Aug 4, 2023 11:14 PM

Jul 2017
Truly_Evil said:
I didn't think that the translation was this bothersome and really enjoyed the series as much as it intended to without knowing what it's saying in Japanese.
We are talking about the official translation here right? The one in the previews I pointed out?
Cause if so then I'm confused as to how you were able to find it readable. Even if it wasn't as bothersome as you say and you could understand the context with some patience, the dialogue and sentences feel so damn awkward and unnatural, more than any official translation I've seen. Like man, check this out.

Look at preview of vol 2. Kurosawa thinks "The president... wanted to have one more coworker... almost to the point of tears". I am not stretching or trying to be hyperbolic to make a point: when I read that, I legit thought Kurosawa was at the point of tears. It took me a second to realize that the president was almost to the point of tears.
For one thing, that translation is formatted as one continuous sentence when it's multiple. It should have been "The president... needed one more coworker here... and he seemed pretty desperate!" or "The president... needed one more coworker here. He had tears in his eyes too.", just anything more coherent than what we got.
Second off, we've seen Kurosawa cry before, so because of this unnatural sentence, you can't blame a reader for initially thinking he would describe himself as having tears in his eyes for putting up with work like this.

Just so much wrong with this. We don't need to put this much effort reading a translated manga, it's the translator's job to ensure proper English sentence structure and sufficient English contextual mannerisms. Kudos to you for being able to read this at least (I honestly don't know how unless you put effort into it).

Also I'm not saying the problem was that it misinterpreted Japanese meanings or contexts, on the contrary, it's not supplying enough English context or proper grammar/sentence structure to be even readable to me.

Once again I ask you if we're talking about the official translation and not the... you know... not official one. Cause I see you have read manga with no official translations, just wanna make sure we're on the same page here.
TheMAMAug 4, 2023 11:31 PM
Aug 5, 2023 5:38 AM

Oct 2020
TheMAM said:
Truly_Evil said:
We are talking about the official translation here right? The one in the previews I pointed out?
Cause if so then I'm confused as to how you were able to find it readable. Even if it wasn't as bothersome as you say and you could understand the context with some patience, the dialogue and sentences feel so damn awkward and unnatural, more than any official translation I've seen. Like man, check this out.

Look at preview of vol 2. Kurosawa thinks "The president... wanted to have one more coworker... almost to the point of tears". I am not stretching or trying to be hyperbolic to make a point: when I read that, I legit thought Kurosawa was at the point of tears. It took me a second to realize that the president was almost to the point of tears.
For one thing, that translation is formatted as one continuous sentence when it's multiple. It should have been "The president... needed one more coworker here... and he seemed pretty desperate!" or "The president... needed one more coworker here. He had tears in his eyes too.", just anything more coherent than what we got.
Second off, we've seen Kurosawa cry before, so because of this unnatural sentence, you can't blame a reader for initially thinking he would describe himself as having tears in his eyes for putting up with work like this.

Just so much wrong with this. We don't need to put this much effort reading a translated manga, it's the translator's job to ensure proper English sentence structure and sufficient English contextual mannerisms. Kudos to you for being able to read this at least (I honestly don't know how unless you put effort into it).

Also I'm not saying the problem was that it misinterpreted Japanese meanings or contexts, on the contrary, it's not supplying enough English context or proper grammar/sentence structure to be even readable to me.

Once again I ask you if we're talking about the official translation and not the... you know... not official one. Cause I see you have read manga with no official translations, just wanna make sure we're on the same page here.
Well, now that I think about it, I may have not read the official translation.
Sorry for misleading you and you may be right about the volume previews.
This does seem like some sloppy translation work now that you mention it.
Aug 5, 2023 1:28 PM

Jul 2017
Truly_Evil said:
Alright well next time try not to sound so dismissive and passive aggressive on things you're not too sure about then.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Legend of the Strongest Man Kurosawa Chapter 90 Discussion

MagEarwhig - Aug 10, 2011

38 by H_Erifu »»
Apr 22, 6:14 AM

Poll: » Legend of the Strongest Man Kurosawa Chapter 68 Discussion

AlexSadist-sama - Mar 25, 2012

4 by H_Erifu »»
Apr 16, 4:28 AM

Poll: » Legend of the Strongest Man Kurosawa Chapter 60 Discussion

MagEarwhig - Aug 9, 2011

9 by burningjustice »»
Apr 14, 3:46 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Strongest Man Kurosawa Chapter 67 Discussion

AlexSadist-sama - Mar 25, 2012

5 by outolunch »»
May 28, 2023 9:20 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Strongest Man Kurosawa Chapter 49 Discussion

AlexSadist-sama - Mar 24, 2012

13 by Jim_Heart »»
Mar 21, 2023 5:59 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.