Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jul 1, 2011 5:18 PM

Aug 2010
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Damn it, why'd he have to die! Such a hard working boy....*sniff*
Feb 17, 2012 10:36 AM
Feb 2012
Loved it!!!!

I almost cried 2 times.
Good job
Mar 17, 2012 11:10 AM

May 2009
CRIED !!!

He Had To LIVE And Become ARTIST

Apr 21, 2012 10:21 PM

Jul 2011
Funny that I was barely affected in Grave of Fireflies whereas this one made me cry. I think it would be because I sympathised with Nello much better than with Seita.
8/10
Jun 2, 2012 7:07 PM

Apr 2009
This movie is so beautiful and sad... I've watched the TV version of '75 after got deeply touched by this movie. both are so sad and depressing. The TV serie captured the atmosphere even better and the characters were developed much better too (well, with 52 episodes, there's much more room.) Definitely recommand to watch the TV serie if you like the movie!
Nov 26, 2012 12:17 PM

Mar 2009
i didnt cry dammit... i didnt cry....

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!! T_T
Dec 21, 2012 11:37 AM

Jul 2011
What? I actually... found that really boring until about 1 hr 20 mins in and he found the money. When he brought it to the house, and left the dog there... then the moments up to his death.

Patrasche!!! D:

At least they realized Nello was a good boy. :<
Apr 27, 2013 9:16 AM

Jul 2012
Beautiful.
Jun 25, 2013 1:29 AM

Feb 2010
That was really sad. I feel poopy now ;(
If he just stayed everything would have been okay! Wah.
FOLLOW MY SOCIAL MEDIA IF YOU LIKE COSPLAY ADN ANIME RELATED VIDEOS!
https://www.youtube.com/user/LadyMeilin
https://www.facebook.com/Ladymeilin
Jul 2, 2013 12:36 AM

Sep 2008
I found grandpa's death to be far sadder than Nello's and Patrasche's. This movie wasn't anywhere near the tearjerker I was expecting.

Also, the ending really lacked impact. Could've been done better. Not to mention it was a shit ending altogether. But I knew what I was getting into when I chose to watch this so I wont complain about that. Just the ending was handled somewhat poorly.
Aug 6, 2013 9:00 PM
Dec 2011
loved this film. favorite of mine now. I am such a dog person that watching this broke my heart. I CRIED SO HARD. great movie that shows the harsh reality that is life.
Nov 8, 2013 10:59 AM

Sep 2012
So this is the story they talk about in KimiKiss huh
Dec 14, 2014 9:32 AM

Jun 2013
Damn those invisible onions cutting ninjas.
Jan 6, 2015 1:56 AM

Mar 2013
all of my feels.. *cries*
Feb 2, 2015 2:57 AM

Jan 2012
SOOO SAD. This one is right up there with Grave of the Fire Flies... the only thing that kept me from rating it a 10/10 is the face that the animation could have been better. (I'm not talking about the style of art) It felt a little flat and simplistic.. but in a lazy way, not the it that way to be artsy. GFF had way better animation. Overall, I could probably watch this movie 30 or 40 times. Its a win.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 6, 2015 4:22 AM

Feb 2012
Oh God, he went through so many terrible things and he DIED?! Now, it couldn't be worse. And why Cogez family waited so long to look for them? Ok, some dude came, but there was little boy and dog in a blizzard! Just... aghhh I'm gonna be a wreck for a while now >_________________<
Mar 1, 2015 12:16 PM

Oct 2013
Did he die? And what did he die from? Cold? He was inside of a building, I'd assume it wouldn't be cold enough for you to freeze to death.
Mar 31, 2015 11:52 PM

Nov 2014
How did he die? The greatest mystery in this overrated movie.

4/10
Apr 4, 2015 11:05 PM

Jul 2013
Grandpa you crooked bastard. You just pretended to be poor and just pretend to die and now you are laughing at the boy's misery.

Such a heartless bastard.

But seriously speaking this move wasn't good. There's nothing technically wrong about it but it just a such a tired story and the movie never felt "genuine". Toward's the end i was almost fishing the boy to die already and the movie to end.
May 4, 2015 6:08 PM
Nov 2013
Went to Antwerp on vacation and decided to watch this movie the day after. Worth it.
Sep 21, 2015 9:12 PM
Jun 2015
This is a moving story. I think everyone should catch this movie if they have any free time on weekend.
I rate it about 8/10.
Oct 21, 2015 3:08 PM

Jun 2011
Some people in this thread make me facepalm so much..

Qatami said:
Did he die? And what did he die from? Cold? He was inside of a building, I'd assume it wouldn't be cold enough for you to freeze to death.
shichirin said:
4/10
He was starving, he didn't have food so nothing is there to warm his body up. Ever been in the cold when you're starving? Try it. Don't eat for a whole day and go into your fridge, and even that isn't as cold.

Kaizoku_Mugiwara said:
SOOO SAD. This one is right up there with Grave of the Fire Flies... the only thing that kept me from rating it a 10/10 is the face that the animation could have been better. (I'm not talking about the style of art) It felt a little flat and simplistic.. but in a lazy way, not the it that way to be artsy. GFF had way better animation. Overall, I could probably watch this movie 30 or 40 times. Its a win.
I mean, why does that matter if its not such detrimental to your enjoyment of the series? Some people put animation way too high in their priority, when in fact if it's passable, why bother.

Also, people also care about crying way too much. "It I didn't cry, it wasn't good." No.. not like I can tell you how you rate your anime, but I don't think how high you rate something should be decided by how much you peed from your eyes.

As for my thought on the movie, I thought it was really great. It's been a while since I've watched an older anime/film and I really like how the story was conveyed. The music was great and just there to accompany the scene, not overwhelm it, which I thought happen a lot in modern anime/film. The characters, well it's the generic character types you often see in older films, but it's still much better than the modern harem lead / emo angsty teen / overpowered gary stu and co. All in all it was great.

I am not sure about watching the TV series though if it's gonna be the same thing as the movie, even more if it ends exactly the same way. ):
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Nov 7, 2015 6:35 AM

Oct 2013
Narcissu brough me here. What a sad series :((
Jan 27, 2016 1:58 PM

Apr 2008
It's thanks to AnoHana that I was able to discover this gem! It's too beautiful! :')
Apr 29, 2016 12:07 AM
Feb 2016
Kuruwin said:
Grandpa you crooked bastard. You just pretended to be poor and just pretend to die and now you are laughing at the boy's misery.

Such a heartless bastard.

Glad im not the only one that noticed that.

In all seriousness that was A fantastic movie
Apr 29, 2016 12:32 PM

Nov 2014
ToG25thBaam said:
Some people in this thread make me facepalm so much..

Qatami said:
shichirin said:
4/10
He was starving, he didn't have food so nothing is there to warm his body up. Ever been in the cold when you're starving? Try it. Don't eat for a whole day and go into your fridge, and even that isn't as cold.

He should've ate his dog then, drank its blood, and used its remains to warm his body. Bear Grylls did that and he survived.
May 14, 2016 11:47 AM

Dec 2012
You only realize the good things when they're gone. They all knew how good Nello was only moments too late. It really got me when Patrasche chased after Nello, barely dragging his dying body to his one true friend. The candles being extinguished reminds me of that line from Othello "Put out the light and then put out the light", representative of the double meaning behind light and life. The part that sent it all home was when Alois's screams were met with a deafening silence and a view of the distant town, almost as if to say that she could never reach him in time.

In contrast, the timeskip forward makes me think that Nello and Patrasche were watching out for Alois when she imagines them playing in the art exhibit. Those moments where time has passed and it shows characters moving forward and carrying on the memories of those they've lost always gets to me.

After putting it off for months, I'm so wholeheartedly glad that I was able to finally sit down and watch this. It was a very simple tale but one that both warmed and wore the heart. Even as Nello progressively lost hope and everyone's faith in him, the one who stayed by him to the end was Patrasche. The ending song captures that relationship perfectly.

8/10
Jun 19, 2016 4:01 PM

Jul 2010
@ToG25thBaam Thanks for educating these idiots in here because now I don't have to.

Anyways I actually watched this movie after seeing the whole series and even though I think the series is better though I'm not sure if it's just because I watched it first but it so much more devloped obviously with 52 eps but this movie did a pretty damn good job I have to say. Made me cry a second time.
Jul 13, 2016 11:29 AM
Mar 2015
That was one of the best films i have ever seen, cried 2-3 times :'(
Oct 12, 2016 6:32 AM

Mar 2016
Just finished this. . . What a great movie. . . I was so emotional in the secondhalf of movie. . .
@mizukasa just let you know if you haven't know yet , that japanese considered dog as the best humans friend, some of them even considered their dog as part of family. . . Do you want to do such things to your own family?
Kurniawan_KtrOct 12, 2016 6:50 AM
"People who don't see that anime has changed are either wearing "glasses" or watching only a certain type (and or era) of anime"
"Having a low mean score doesn't necessarily mean one doesn't enjoy anime. Rating system is not a school grading system."
"Elitist is people who think he is superior than others. Not necessarily ones who insulting/critisizing your favorite anime or people who enjoy a certain type of anime"
"Fanboy is people who translating "your favorite anime is shit" into "you are shit".
"Being a fanboy is an indication of elitism"
Oct 12, 2016 12:31 PM

Nov 2014
Kurniawan_Ktr said:
Just finished this. . . What a great movie. . . I was so emotional in the secondhalf of movie. . .
@mizukasa just let you know if you haven't know yet , that japanese considered dog as the best humans friend, some of them even considered their dog as part of family. . . Do you want to do such things to your own family?

Since we're family, it should be happy to die for my sake and save me.
mizukasaOct 12, 2016 12:39 PM
Oct 12, 2016 7:03 PM

Mar 2016
@mizukasa xD. . . What i meant is, it's about Noell, not about the dog. . . The dog might be fine if it get eaten (or not), but how about Noell? Does he want to eat his dog?, obviously NO. . . It so obvious from the movie that the dog always there for Noell, they are friend, they are family, and don't forget that he is just a kid. . .

I think you do pushed your own perception on anime character. I don't think you are wrong, but i think you will never understand the reason behind some characters action. Try to see them as character. . .
Kurniawan_KtrOct 12, 2016 8:29 PM
"People who don't see that anime has changed are either wearing "glasses" or watching only a certain type (and or era) of anime"
"Having a low mean score doesn't necessarily mean one doesn't enjoy anime. Rating system is not a school grading system."
"Elitist is people who think he is superior than others. Not necessarily ones who insulting/critisizing your favorite anime or people who enjoy a certain type of anime"
"Fanboy is people who translating "your favorite anime is shit" into "you are shit".
"Being a fanboy is an indication of elitism"
Oct 12, 2016 10:56 PM

Nov 2014
Kurniawan_Ktr said:
@mizukasa xD. . . What i meant is, it's about Noell, not about the dog. . . The dog might be fine if it get eaten (or not), but how about Noell? Does he want to eat his dog?, obviously NO. . . It so obvious from the movie that the dog always there for Noell, they are friend, they are family, and don't forget that he is just a kid. . .

I think you do pushed your own perception on anime character. I don't think you are wrong, but i think you will never understand the reason behind some characters action. Try to see them as character. . .

If Noell ate his dog he could've been fine and didn't need to die at the end just to put some tear-jerking element in the show. He had a chance to live and a choice to make but he still chose to die so that the audience would shed some tears and make the story about the friendship between a kid and his dog seem beautiful. Don't you think that's illogical? I'm even surprised that this movie even made some people cry when the drama looks forced. If the movie showed Noell struggling or trying to survive the merciless weather at the time and finally succumbing to death; that would be a lot better IMO.

*Sigh*
mizukasaOct 12, 2016 11:07 PM
Feb 5, 2017 4:26 AM

May 2016
He had to leave Patrasche in the Cojez manor just when everything's gonna get better for them...

I almost cried from all those sad moments. It's nice that the Flanders government actually erected a statue of the two~ I still don't like Hans though.

Aug 12, 2017 7:18 AM

May 2012
Good piece of Flemish history I must say, quite lovely to actually see this story in form of an anime. As from Antwerp myself it really was pleasant to see it taking place in my home town.

Pretty solid movie with a bittersweet ending!
Oct 13, 2017 3:30 AM

Oct 2015
I loved Nello and i wish he didnt have to die with his dog like that. He was a good boy and the movie had to kill him, this made cry for the first time. I see Alois became a nun in order to help kids like Nello, what a beautiful soul. I loved this anime movie so much that it will be on my favorite. 9/10.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Dec 6, 2017 9:51 PM

May 2008
It's been 7 years since i saw this movie and i'm still having feels. O/// ;;

mizukasa said:
He should've ate his dog then, drank its blood, and used its remains to warm his body. Bear Grylls did that and he survived.

Don't be stupid, dogs are not food. I'd rather die too than eating my dog if i'm starving like that lol
A dog is a companion, part of the family and definitely not part of a meal.
Psyche_IzayaDec 6, 2017 9:57 PM
Dec 6, 2017 10:49 PM

Nov 2014
Psyche_Izaya said:

mizukasa said:

Don't be stupid, dogs are not food. I'd rather die too than eating my dog if i'm starving like that lol

Don't be stupid, dogs can be food just like cows, pigs and chickens. There's even a festival in China called Yulin festival(?) where they eat dog meat and celebrate. Even though I don't approve of how they treat dogs before they eat them, you still can't deny the fact that every animal out there can be eaten for survival.

Telling people you can't eat dogs but cows, pigs and chickens is perfectly normal to eat is very hypocritical.
Dec 7, 2017 2:09 AM

May 2008
mizukasa said:
Psyche_Izaya said:

Don't be stupid, dogs can be food just like cows, pigs and chickens. There's even a festival in China called Yulin festival(?) where they eat dog meat and celebrate. Even though I don't approve of how they treat dogs before they eat them, you still can't deny the fact that every animal out there can be eaten for survival.

Telling people you can't eat dogs but cows, pigs and chickens is perfectly normal to eat is very hypocritical.

Just because you can doesn't mean you should. more countries are implementing laws which consumption, slaughtering or selling of dog meat are illegal. You try consuming dogs in any place where their laws are heavily enforced and prepared to get fined.

And don't put words in my mouth, where in my post did i mention eating cows, pigs and chickens are perfectly normal???
I dislike beef and pork in general and i avoid them. Don't think that not eating meat is the end of the world when there are other cheap food choices you can pick from which doesn't involve meat. For example i can eat a simple meal like eggs with rice or breads and still survive.
Dec 7, 2017 3:07 AM

Nov 2014
Psyche_Izaya said:
mizukasa said:

Just because you can doesn't mean you should. more countries are implementing laws which consumption, slaughtering or selling of dog meat are illegal. You try consuming dogs in any place where their laws are heavily enforced and prepared to get fined.

And don't put words in my mouth, where in my post did i mention eating cows, pigs and chickens are perfectly normal???
I dislike beef and pork in general and i avoid them. Don't think that not eating meat is the end of the world when there are other cheap food choices you can pick from which doesn't involve meat. For example i can eat a simple meal like eggs with rice or breads and still survive.

You should if you want to survive even more when the two of you is in a situation where both of you are going to die either way without food and warmth. If the MC here did that he might've survived and there would be no need for forced drama.

Ah yeah you didn't I also forgot to add "Unless you don't eat meat" on that.
Choosing not to eat meat because you hate them in a situation where you need to survive and live is pretty stupid no? It's not like everyone who is put in that kind of situation will have the luxury to eat eggs, rice or bread everyday.
mizukasaDec 7, 2017 3:12 AM
Dec 7, 2017 4:23 AM

May 2008
mizukasa said:
You should if you want to survive even more when the two of you is in a situation where both of you are going to die either way without food and warmth. If the MC here did that he might've survived and there would be no need for forced drama.

Tbh Nello and Patrasche would've survived if he'd just stayed back in Alois's home. i don't understand why he ran away :'D
It's not like he have anywhere else to go.

mizukasa said:
Ah yeah you didn't I also forgot to add "Unless you don't eat meat" on that.
Choosing not to eat meat because you hate them in a situation where you need to survive and live is pretty stupid no?

I mean, you mentioned Yulin Festival (where dogs are stolen, killed for profit) and i don't think that has anything to do with survival.

mizukasa said:
It's not like everyone who is put in that kind of situation will have the luxury to eat eggs, rice or bread everyday.

Well if you try to imagine yourself in Nello's situation. Jobless, homeless and no money. you'll still need equipment and tools to kill off another living for food. No way a kid his age could do that.

There's also no logic for Nello to kill Patrasche since he just saved the dog from its abusive owner.
Dec 7, 2017 5:54 AM

Nov 2014
Psyche_Izaya said:
mizukasa said:

Tbh Nello and Patrasche would've survived if he'd just stayed back in Alois's home. i don't understand why he ran away :'D
It's not like he have anywhere else to go.

Yet he didn't and chose to run away and endure the harsh winter. Why? So that the director can monetize his "suffering".

I mean, you mentioned Yulin Festival (where dogs are stolen, killed for profit) and i don't think that has anything to do with survival.

I said that when you said that dogs aren't food. There are people (not you) who see it as food no different than other animals.

Well if you try to imagine yourself in Nello's situation. Jobless, homeless and no money. you'll still need equipment and tools to kill off another living for food. No way a kid his age could do that.

There's also no logic for Nello to kill Patrasche since he just saved the dog from its abusive owner.

You can use your own body part as a tool. For example, you can use your teeth alone to bite the dog's neck and drink its blood and rip the meat off using your hands and eat it.

What's more important than to survive? If he chose to live he could help a lot more people once he's grown up.
Dec 8, 2017 6:02 PM

May 2008
mizukasa said:

Yet he didn't and chose to run away and endure the harsh winter. Why? So that the director can monetize his "suffering".

If i remember correctly, this movie was adapted from an english novel with the same ending - Both starved and frozen to death. Try again.

mizukasa said:

I said that when you said that dogs aren't food. There are people (not you) who see it as food no different than other animals.

With that logic any livings can be seen as food. Humans, bugs, animals, etc. Just because "some people do it" doesn't mean their actions should be justified.

mizukasa said:
You can use your own body part as a tool. For example, you can use your teeth alone to bite the dog's neck and drink its blood and rip the meat off using your hands and eat it.

What's more important than to survive? If he chose to live he could help a lot more people once he's grown up.

... You said that almost like you've never seen a real dog before.
Do you eat raw meat along with its fur? Look at Patrasche and tell me he doesn't have thickass fur.

Also eating raw meat is risky thanks to bacteria and can make you very sick. Either way he's going to die.
Psyche_IzayaDec 8, 2017 6:10 PM
Dec 8, 2017 7:06 PM

Nov 2014
Psyche_Izaya said:

If i remember correctly, this movie was adapted from an english novel with the same ending - Both starved and frozen to death. Try again.

Endure and die when there's still a chance to survive no matter how small the chance is. Duh, I watched the same movie as you you know.

Psyche_Izaya said:
With that logic any livings can be seen as food. Humans, bugs, animals, etc. Just because "some people do it" doesn't mean their actions should be justified.

There are people out who try to survive by eating those you mentioned because they want to live or simply because of the environment or culture they grew up in (especially people who was left behind by time itself, for example, uncontacted tribes or other people who still live in the mountains or jungles.) Just because you don't approve of something doesn't mean those people who do those things you don't approve of are wrong. I'm also only talking about animals not humans. Why would you even bring that topic here.

Like I said, there's a LOT of people in the entire planet who doesn't have the luxury to eat what you or me eat everyday.

Also, you mentioned in your previous comment that you can eat eggs. But eggs if left alone with the hen or mother or whatever that gave birth to it, it will hatch to a small chick which then would grow up to a adult bird that you denied of eating.

Psyche_Izaya said:

Do you eat raw meat along with its fur? Look at Patrasche and tell me he doesn't have thickass fur.

Also eating raw meat is risky thanks to bacteria and can make you very sick. Either way he's going to die.

You drink the blood first after biting the skin, it'll warm you up. If you are able to pull a mouthful of (raw) meat from it, it's not like you have to eat it immediately. You can still remove most of the fur out of the meat by simply using your hands.

It seems like you're quiet worried about eating raw meat. Don't worry. I'm pretty damn sure there are countries who eat raw meat as a part of their countries/culture delicacy. For example, in Japan, raw horse meat is normally ordered by customers in restaurants. (Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horse_meat#Japan)

IIRC, Bear Grylls ate shit before and he's still alive.
mizukasaDec 8, 2017 7:13 PM
Jun 13, 2019 9:00 PM
Oct 2017
I almost made it to the end without crying this time but "Alois I am always by your side" got me right at the end.

It hurts :'( it hurts so much!.
Nov 16, 2019 7:46 PM

Nov 2015
mizukasa said:
Psyche_Izaya said:

Endure and die when there's still a chance to survive no matter how small the chance is. Duh, I watched the same movie as you you know.

Yes, who wouldn't love seeing another film adaptation of this classic book deviate from the original ending, and in such an unexpected way? xP (Though if it were going to end that way I'd prefer if they ate Hans first)

Reading this book and discovering the anime adaptations was one of the reasons I got into anime, and since the novel is beloved in Japan I wouldn't expect it to end any other way. Just seeing the paintings and being with his dog brought him some comfort in the end.
and i guess

that i just don't know
Apr 18, 2020 11:32 PM

Aug 2015
I had no exposure to the original children's story, so I had no clue how tragic it was going to be.
It reminds me of the Little Match Girl, which absolutely destroyed me as a kid.

The animation is pretty impressive. The CGI looks better than some I see today. The 2D was fluid - no skimping.
whitherMay 5, 2020 12:38 PM
May 5, 2020 12:55 AM
Dec 2015
SO HE JUST DIES??!?!!?!? WE WATCH HIM GET CUCKED BY LIFE JUST TO WATCH HIM DIE???? OMG FUCK THAT OLD RENT COLLECTOR MAN
Jul 21, 2020 6:59 PM

Jun 2013
Always it, the inequality to end the life and dreams of the less fortunate. At these times I wonder if it is worth living in this world.
Aug 25, 2020 9:46 PM
Dec 2019
Reminds me of Maggie: A Girl of the Streets by Stephen Crane, which I had to read in high school. While Dog of Flanders is obviously more kid friendly and simpler, both are aim to depict the reality of people too sunk into their circumstances to climb out, with no help from society.

Throughout the whole thing I was expecting the tragedy which kept piling on to be met with a happy ending and I was going to dismiss it for that, but the ending definitely elevates this story. As a statement back in the 19th century, it's great. It's less relevant in this day and in first world countries since there's welfare, but there will always be real stories like this that are untold.

For me, the film is just there. Its sentimentality is too simplistic (though very genuine) so while I won't be coming back to it, but it might be a great watch for kids.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.