Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Magic Knight Rayearth
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 5, 2011 5:45 PM

May 2010
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Finally my questions are answered. That was quite a good end to the season. As much as I wanted to find out what happened, I'm sad that it's sort of over. At least there's another season.
And what an ending it was. So exciting! So much emotion! Such surprises!
Jul 17, 2011 7:33 PM

Nov 2010
It's been a long time since I watched the DVD last. "Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica (MSMM)" was aired this spring and it was the trigger to watch this show again. MSMM is a respectable show, but I don't like the ending because the protagonist becomes ultimate existence and saves the souls of the other magical girls. It is realized by the too strong plot device; grant-any-wish system. The plot device reminded me of this show.

I think this anime was made for kids, but the hidden truth depicted in the last two episodes was too serious and heavy for kids. I think the first season alone works well as a tragic fairytale, but there is a sequel that has a little weaker impact and more attractive opponents.

Mod Edit: Added spoiler tags; please hide plot details.
ShockedJun 24, 2017 11:46 AM
Oct 15, 2011 3:31 PM

Dec 2009
Although this anime was full of cliches, I have to say that I'm not disappointed. CLAMP always comes up with very original ideas for their mangas, and the manga was turned into this nice anime. This episode answered a lot of questions, and I really liked the ending for this. I really thought it was beautiful when the three of them were hugging together at the end. Very good anime.
Dec 5, 2014 11:29 AM

Jun 2010
kuroneko99 said:

Madoka Magica uses the magic wish plot device as a double-edged sword as well:

This series is using it more as pure plot twist. Coming in the last episode, there is no room to explore the implications; Cephiro is a world pinned on the mental slavery of a child, its inhabitants apparently don't realize how they are benefiting from this repugnance (only Zagato and Clef seem to understand how it works), and the Magic Knights are being coerced to carry out an execution or suicide-by-proxy because they're snatched from another world and can't go back until they've done what they're told (rather pathetic given the ennobling way their development as Magic Knights has been depicted).

Instead of doing anything with that, we get a sanitized killing of the princess, depicted as a happy ending for her as she gets to "be with Zagato eternally".

Moreover, this series is pretty bland for 17 or 18 episodes before finally getting to "the twist".

On its own, this series is just a children's adventure series with a modicum of cleverness. The ending proclaims this as just "Part One", so perhaps the second part can do something better.

Mod Edit: Modified quote of edited post.
ShockedJun 24, 2017 11:46 AM
Feb 3, 2015 5:18 PM

Feb 2014
Wow, that last-minute plot twist. Talk about a bittersweet ending. They get to go back to Tokyo (and stay friends!), but not until they assassinate the princess of Cephiro. Ouch. At least she gets to be reunited with her lover. This episode was pretty awesome though. Very intense! It was pretty cool when they all combined to become one super-powered Rune-God. Although I was a little worried that they wouldn't be able to fit the ending into the time frame; a lot was being explained, and it was getting kinda close.

Although the ending did bring up a question that has always eluded me. We learn that no time has passed since they left in the flash of light, reminiscent of Narnia. But what happens if you die in Narnia???? If no time passes, then what happens if you die and can't come back? Does everything just stop?? Ugh. Guess you can't reason with things that defy the laws of physics.

Honestly, while this show was not perfect, I think I'll give it a 10 because I really enjoyed it (yes, I am one of those people who rate based mostly on enjoyment :p). The few episodes with Caldina were kinda corny, but overall it was a really entertaining and enjoyable show. It had pretty much everything I like: magical warrior girls, sword fights, a fantasy world, good character development, and awesome mecha battles. Even though there were times at which it was predictable and/or cliche, I still really enjoyed it. I'd say it has even become one of my favorites ^-^ Onward to season 2!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 10, 2016 12:39 PM

Jun 2016
And this kids is one of the finest plot twists in anime. It's always a great watch (also for nostalgia)
Sep 16, 2016 4:53 AM

Jul 2010
Does anyone know the name of the song that plays in the end of this episode? It seems like a softer version of Asu e no Yuuki, but I can't find it anywhere.
Oct 19, 2016 3:22 AM

Apr 2011
I... I can't believe that they killed the princess, and when they revealed that was the sole reason she called them there to begin with, was for them to end her life, and simply because she'd fallen in love... My jaw hit the floor and I sudden felt awful about every bad thing I ever said about Zagato. ; - ;
[At least Emeraude and Zagato can be together in death, talk about a complete 360 on my view of his character. I need to rewatch this knowing that he's actually being a scapegoat for her the entire time.]

I loved the vibe this show gave off, the art style was gorgeous, the music was super fitting, the friendship between the trio was developed really nicely, the battles were awesome, the only gripe I have is how abrupt the ending was, I don't know what happened to Feiro, Mokona, Ascot... I know they made a second season, but an ending like that does effect my overall score.

8/10 [would've been a 9 but it was so sudden.]
Ericonator said:
By definition, everything is retro since by the time you realize something has happened it's already in the past.
Mar 15, 2017 2:59 PM

Aug 2013
I kinda knew that Zagato wasn't that bad from the get go because he really didn't have a true answer to why he really wanted to destroy Cephiro... he would just say "because"! Like really... lol
BUT THIS BEING SAID I WOULD HAVE NEVER SEEN THIS BIG OF A PLOT TWIST COMING, especially during the last episode. Emeralde seemed like such a Princess Peach type of princess to me until these last 2 episodes, so I was very sad to see her go, but happy that her wish was granted and that she is happy!
8/10. Pretty good!
Jun 23, 2017 4:46 AM

Nov 2011
What. You mean to tell me that Magic Knight Rayearth was aimed at children and it ended like that? ...I think Heartcatch Precure! just lost the biggest scarring-kids-for-life title.

Bravo, CLAMP, you took a work that looked like it could hardly get any more idealistic and managed to twist the whole story as it was shown into this big screwed up lie that hides a really cynical truth and completely recolors everything that happened. Bravo.

I can't say it was particularly impactful, especially compared to certain other endings I've seen in the genre, but in terms of sheer unexpectedness that was definitely novel. That spun the story on its head so hard.

I mean, I did figure that Zagato wasn't really a bad guy a long time ago, but the whole journey being that misleading? The girls being brought here to execute an innocent person because she loved someone (along with said lover)? There's no way I could have predicted that even a few episodes beforehand.

In any case, nice ending.

Off to the second season I guess.
Aug 11, 2017 12:21 AM

Nov 2012
I also knew for a long time that Zagato isn't the typical villain who wants to rule/destroy the world. I also started thinking about whether she loves the princess... I thought his grant (to be with the princess) wasn't granted in this world and that is the cause of his actions. But I was really surprised when we were told that he just tried to protect his loved one!T.T It was so tragic!!!T___T
This show contained some cliches, but I guess in the time it was aired, these things didn't count as cliches, we just see them this way nowadays. But the character development, the characters and the world of Cephiro was great! I can't wait to see the next season!C:
Aug 12, 2017 11:14 PM

Apr 2012
Haha, good ending, though the resolution itself was quite expeditive.

Overall a solid premise, but a sometimes bland execution (as said above) -- as it tends to happen with Clamp.

The opening is pretty memorable too, deserved its award imho.

On a side note, it's funny how on a supposedly equal elemental trinity (wind, water, fire), fire always end up being the only important one (here Rayearth absorbing the other Rune-gods to deliver the final blow). There's something very Japanese about that, and for me it links back to the cult of Amaterasu. I guess this sort of interference is normal when you deal material close to the collective subconscious such as fairy tales.
EratiKAug 12, 2017 11:42 PM
Mar 9, 2018 4:17 PM

Jul 2014
I knew for few episodes that Zagato loved the princess, and since the previous that she loved him back, but I would have never guessed that Magic Knights were summoned into this world just to kill the princess...

If it had better animation (this was not the best quality for the '90s era) and better execution (with some plot points fixed), I wouldn't hesitate go give it 9/10. Maybe even 10/10 (just for the twist).
Dec 28, 2018 7:37 AM

May 2018
well damn, that was quite an ending. They had to kill the princess, the poor girls...
This is not your planet to rule. The Fallen shall rise again.
Oct 16, 2020 10:19 AM

Nov 2017
And the plot thickened! During the last episode no less! So Princess Emeraude was in love with Zagato and when she found out her lover died she became a dark, sinister version of herself.

The real reason she summoned Hikaru, Ryuuzaki and Fuu in the first place was so that they would kill her, relieving her of the task of being Pillar, and then she could be at peace and with Zagato in the afterlife.

Hmmm, alrighty then!

It sucks she had to die, but hopefully Cephiro can go back to some form of normalcy. The girls were able to get back to Tokyo safely! Wait a tick, did time like, stop in the real world or something? They're back around the same moment they left!

This was a nice anime! It's something I'd recommend, especially if you're learning Japanese. Most of the dialogue isn't hard to keep up with or too complicated honestly, but I might be saying that 'cause I understand what they're saying obviously.

This isn't the end though! There's another season! *Goofy voice* Garsh, looks like I got to watch that one!
Feb 24, 2021 3:58 PM

Nov 2015
ew, hikaru kill someone because of some stupid kingdom laws heh. the three girls were lied af and they didn't even react to that.... also my point still stands: worst couple ever! princess is a brat and zagato... doesn't look like a good guy xD.

đź’˘

Nov 27, 2021 2:36 PM
Dec 2010
They tried to save this boring mess of a show with that twist, but this ain't it
May 30, 2022 4:58 AM
Ninja Consultant

Mar 2022
D'awww! I loved it! If I'd seen this when I was in my early teens I would've been obsessed with it. It was a slow burner at times when it came to the main plot, but I never got bored with it. The finale was pretty emotional considering its young target audience, but I guess that just shows how different sensibilities can be between different cultures. Either way it was good, quite touching, especially the shot of Zagato and Emeraude being reunited and the final shot of the girls holding each other upon arriving back in Tokyo. Was hoping we'd see Mokona again in the final episode, but alas.

I'll probably wait a little while before watching the second series, but this was a good ending to a really fun series.
Beep boop
Jul 1, 2022 8:12 AM

Jan 2020
So, Emeraude summoned Magic Knights to her world because she was compromised as the Pillar? But, I'm not entirely sure why her loving someone led to the destruction of Cephiro? Just because she was distracted with love?

Emeraude's Mech was probably the coolest of the bunch. And, I wasn't against her becoming a villain, I'm just not entirely sure I am on board with her setup and reasoning. Wanting revenge for Zagato is fine and all, but I just feel like her needing to be killed was a bit shaky. I think I have the manga on my bookshelf, I wonder if it explains it differently? Might need to consider binging that soon.

Overall, it was a pretty good series. I'll check out the OVA and Season 2 within the next couple of days.

"...Is your mother worried? Would you like us to assign someone to worry your mother?"

Aug 19, 2022 7:41 PM

Oct 2016
Not going to lie, a dystopian hell being the twist for the final boss was unexpected. I wasn't a huge fan of the show up to this point, but I really did like the ending.
Mar 13, 2023 7:56 PM

Jul 2021
The show was mid for the most part, full of exposition and hamfisted, corny melodrama, but I love how the ending recontextualizes the whole thing into something much darker. 
May 17, 2023 9:47 PM

Sep 2020
Great twist and ending! The last time I remember being blindsided like that was the movie Hal.

Good show overall. I liked the blend of humor and seriousness, and a solid adventure story with a nice cast of characters (Umi was my favorite, especially her "disbelief" reactions). I most likely would've liked it more if I had seen it back in the day but it's still highly enjoyable today.

8.5 tainted loves /10
"You can't decide the future, but I'm going to re-educate you in the past!" - Erna Kurtz
Jan 27, 10:11 AM

Oct 2021
So everything happened because Emeraude-hime was horny on main? lol!! At least her adult form and mecha were pretty hot!

This was a nice conclusion even if the final battle was kinda of a letdown, it was cool to see the the mechas combine, thought.

I wonder where will this go for now, what are they going to do to get back to Cephiro?

Great stuff so far.
Apr 21, 6:28 AM

Mar 2012
I don't know why people praise this show as a good isekai, overall was pretty boring.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Magic Knight Rayearth Episode 19 Discussion

YukiPwns00 - Jan 5, 2011

11 by Timeline_man »»
6 hours ago

Poll: » Magic Knight Rayearth Episode 18 Discussion

YukiPwns00 - Jan 4, 2011

13 by Radnitzky1890 »»
Apr 17, 12:03 AM

Poll: » Magic Knight Rayearth Episode 12 Discussion

Mon_Diamond - Oct 15, 2011

16 by Radnitzky1890 »»
Apr 10, 12:30 AM

» What genre does Magic Knight Rayearth fall in?

funtime43_tr - Mar 31

2 by Puntosmx »»
Apr 2, 7:18 PM

Poll: » Magic Knight Rayearth Episode 11 Discussion

YukiPwns00 - Dec 31, 2010

12 by Safrichh »»
Mar 2, 7:48 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.