3It was OK
8.2%
2Disliked it
0.0%
1Hated it
0.0%
Average 4.5
158 votes
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 29, 2008 3:56 AM

Apr 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Another great episode. Just a few things I noted:

I noticed a major lack of Oberstein in this episode. He was always around Reinhard. Was he replaced in favor of Hildegard? I don't mind so much since I wanted to see Hildegard again but I also want to know if Oberstein is still around.

With Phezzan set to put its weight behind the Empire things don't look too good for Yang. If Truniht is still leading it'll probably get a whole lot worse. A war on two fronts won't be easy.

One odd thing: If Merkatz is now working for the alliance, why does he still wear his Imperial uniform?

I'm not liking the new OP and ED too much. It might be that I just have to watch/listen to them for some more episodes to get used to them.

...even a saint needs a soldier to do the dirty work.
Jun 12, 2008 7:49 AM

Apr 2008
I prefer the OP a little more to the previous one, while the ED is crap and unemotional compared to the old one which had epicness equilvalent to the show itself. Animation looks much smoother, as expected. :D

That is odd... I doubt it means something though. Society likes to let the elderly keep their ways.

Very good recap, I was expecting something more stretched out. You don't need one that big big since back in the day, the chance of you rewatching this would have been over 80%.

I wonder if the story will focus more on Yang now? Will the series go about it's 55 / 45 -- Reinhard / Yang path for the entire LotGH?

Attenborough's already an admiral? Guess that just shows the power of Yang Wenli. Lol'd at the look on the Spartinian pilot squad's faces from Oliver's bragging. -_- Is it just me, or does Julian's VAing sound different?

And, I just realized Reinhard killed Jessica. >.<;;

4/5

wtfyourface said:
MistaCloudStrife said:
From 100-1000, how much do you love LWL?
OVER 9000!!!
Jun 14, 2008 12:06 PM

Jan 2008
LoveWifeLunch said:
Is it just me, or does Julian's VAing sound different?

From what I remember, Julian started LoGH as a kid, so it's quite normal for his voice to change slightly over time.
I had fun once and it was awful.
Aug 11, 2008 9:39 PM

Sep 2007
Nice to see the animation improving with the new season.

Interesting that Reinhard is going Napoleonic with his governing of the Empire. Toss titles of nobility, introduce enlightened reforms, win the hearts of the people, and all the while tighten your grip over your empire.
Oct 15, 2008 2:54 PM

Aug 2008
Ahh a fresh new season. Well it looks like Phezzon is going to stick with the Empire now. Julian had some pretty awesome moments as well. The upgrade in the animation impressed me a lot but as a lot of other people have said I don't like the OP and ED as much as the last ones.
Jun 5, 2009 2:33 AM

Dec 2007
This season seems likely that it will have more romance than the last one, in the picture of the Iserlohn staff Frederica is staring at Yang and Lohengramm seems to fancy Hildegard but it may just be business.

#NBHNC
Jun 19, 2009 1:37 PM

Apr 2009
It's probably too early to judge from just one episode, but it seems to me that season 2 will focus on the secondary characters more than season 1.

And is it just me, or does it seem like Julian is going to switch sides, seeing how hard they're focusing on him now. He's gonna end up doing something rather important, and I can think of anything bigger than that.

Sep 12, 2009 10:14 AM

Jan 2009
I found it amusing of Oliver to be a jackass this episode and seeing him acting akin to Legolas and Gimli when it comes to taking down Imperial fighters :D

Juilian did rather well taking down a couple of fighters and one ship all by himself. I had a feeling he might have died inside once that portside gun appeared. He has some extraordinary luck.
Nov 29, 2009 1:33 PM

May 2009
Great start of the second season! Julian kicked some ass this episode and I'm sure he'll become a good soldier.
I already like the new opening and I especially the new ending. Although the ending doesn't reach the epicness of the first, but maybe it'll grow on me.
Dec 31, 2009 1:50 PM

Apr 2009
Julian rocks x)
a new OP and Ending.. nice...
its the same singer...
Jan 2, 2010 7:55 AM

Apr 2009
Glad to see Julian having some success out in the battlefield.
Jan 17, 2010 9:24 PM

Aug 2008
HA! Julian must have done his lucky dance to survive that battle. I never get tired of these uber gigantic battles. You're not reinforced with a dozen ships, you're reinforced with tens of thousands!

DKJ
Mar 29, 2010 1:31 PM

Apr 2009
Poplan is so cool.
Also, the toilet joke was gold xD
Julian did well; I have a feeling that he is the one of the very few characters who are going to survive this series xD Haha.
- If you believe this place holds you, it is a prison.
If you do not wish to leave, it will become a fortress.

Current icon:
Kusuriuri from Mononoke
by pana (LJ username)
Jun 19, 2010 5:02 PM

Jul 2008
Great way to open a new season. :)

BEGINNER
Sep 6, 2010 3:14 PM

Jan 2010
where's mah oberstein :O

just kidding this was a good episode...
Julian had his first fight and also made a few friends

Yang is like a father to him :-)

4/5
Sayonara,papa!

"Just how a mirror reflects you,people will also reflect your heart."
~Athena Glory,Aria

"Whatever happens,happens"
~Spike Spiegel's thoughts on dying(Cowboy Bebop)
Nov 20, 2010 8:15 PM

May 2010
Well Julian is going to be the new annoying Eva in this season
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Mar 17, 2011 10:27 AM

Aug 2009
Nice episode!

It is cool to see them focusing on Julian as a young pilot since they have really only focused on the higher ups until now, it's like watching Gundam without the Gundams.

I remain convinced that he will eventually join the other side. They keep foreshadowing it.
Aug 4, 2011 4:26 PM
Jun 2011
Yeah that was cool to see more pilot action. I liked how Julian hid close to the ship to avoid detection then destroyed it just as he noticed it was going to cause some damage. Hopefully the character kind of kicks back a little more in the coming episodes. He seems to be getting a little tense, but of course that's to be expected being in war. I just feel some strange tension coming between him and Yang.
Sep 1, 2011 11:21 PM
Jul 2010
I like this border skirmish, however short it was. The performance of main characters didn't really mean much, both because of the scale, and because the subordinates carrying out commands were too incompetent.
Lowly trainees can't maintain an organized enough fleet to compete against experienced veterans of the Empire, no matter how good Attenborough's planned formations were, or how many trivial fighters Poplan destroys. Very unconventional.

With Reinhard's reforms, the Empire is in many ways a better country than the democratic FPA. While the Alliance's leaders continue to exploit the system's weaknesses, Reinhard has effectively swept out every undesirable element of his government. Even if FPA reformers gained traction, which is the opposite of what's happening, they would take generations to do what he's accomplished with a few signed documents.
Oct 16, 2011 10:37 PM

Mar 2011
Not bad, not bad. Good way to start the new season. Phezzan's going to side with the Empire now? Yang better batten down the hatches then, eh?
Oct 25, 2011 10:23 AM

Aug 2010
LoveWifeLunch said:

And, I just realized Reinhard killed Jessica. &gt;.&lt;;;

wat
Dec 16, 2011 10:23 PM

Sep 2009
God I love those pilots comedy relief.
Mar 25, 2012 7:24 AM

Feb 2012
I've been expecting Julian to get a bigger role because in the first season ending sequence he was the one left walking on his own. It's made me wonder if he'll grow to be a leader by the end of the series so Yang Wenli can retire and become a historian. And it looks like he's the man in the spacesuit in this season's ending too. Another thing that has me wondering is the prominence of Annerose in the openings, maybe she'll play a bigger role later as well. But this series has already shown it's not afraid to kill off major characters so who knows who'll be left standing in the end.

Those pilots were funny, partly because Olivier Poplan was voiced by the man who did Ataru on Urusei Yatsura, recognisable from the first line really. I half expected him to start rambling about his desire for a harem because that voice and character are so connected in my head.
Apr 24, 2012 9:32 AM

Feb 2012
Poplan and Konev are a hilarious double act. It's great to see more focus on them.

Once again, Yang came up with one of my favorite quotes in the series: "Can you rely on someone who's never died and yet speaks importantly about death?"

And I agree with Schenkopp (and everyone in this thread) that Julian is going to "do something even more incredible in the future." In season one, I thought he was going to be Siegfried's analogue throughout the series and play a role of equal importance, but with Siegfried dead I have a feeling he may ultimately become the third protagonist, after Reinhard and Yang.

All in all this was a perfect start to the new season. A great new OP, a succinct and tasteful summary of season one, and a noticeable jump in animation.
May 28, 2012 6:55 PM

Jun 2009
To be honest, I think my favorite moment of this episode is when Julian just finished re-fueling and the old guy tells him to get to a new ship and survive....then everything goes dark and we only see the tears in Julian's eyes. Shortly after that, the ship blows up and Julian lets out an absolutely horrific scream before destroying an enemy. Amazing.

Great episode. It did a good job re-introducing the characters and showed that Julian is going to majorly important going forward. Also, that OP has one of the most meaningful lines I've ever seen:

"In Every Age, In Every Place, The Deeds Of Men Remain The Same."
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jul 25, 2013 11:18 PM

Jun 2013
insan3soldiern said:
To be honest, I think my favorite moment of this episode is when Julian just finished re-fueling and the old guy tells him to get to a new ship and survive....then everything goes dark and we only see the tears in Julian's eyes. Shortly after that, the ship blows up and Julian lets out an absolutely horrific scream before destroying an enemy. Amazing.

Great episode. It did a good job re-introducing the characters and showed that Julian is going to majorly important going forward. Also, that OP has one of the most meaningful lines I've ever seen:

"In Every Age, In Every Place, The Deeds Of Men Remain The Same."
Agreed, I loved that moment, must be SO HARD on Julian to experience that. I bet Julian gonna become an ace pilot.
Sep 14, 2013 1:23 PM

Nov 2009
Not sure how well that would work out ... I thought that the fortress they lost was alot better than the fortress they are now making mobile. Plus doesn't the other fortress have way more ships?

Anyways, Surprised that Mittenmeyer or w/e his name is has a wife. But did appreciate the background on both of them to some degree.
Sep 14, 2013 9:48 PM

Jun 2013
Pirating_Ninja said:
Not sure how well that would work out ... I thought that the fortress they lost was alot better than the fortress they are now making mobile. Plus doesn't the other fortress have way more ships?

Geiersburg Fortress is weaker than Iserlohn Fortress, but not by much, so it could still wreck havoc against Iserlohn should it approach it even if it couldn't destroy it. As for number of ships, not all the ships need to be stationed within the fortress; a separate fleet can follow it while it travels to its destination.

PS: You seemed to have written a comment for episode 28 in episode 27's thread.
Oct 2, 2014 12:31 AM

Apr 2012
Is it just me, or did Prince Lohengramm have an evil look on his face throughout this episode?
Nov 1, 2014 1:49 PM

Mar 2012
The Alliance always seems to get wrecked when Yang isn't around lol.
Feb 18, 2015 5:40 PM

May 2012
Pretty sweet episode! Quite like the development and how the story always shifts from side to side! Either way let's see what's next.
Feb 19, 2015 4:47 PM

Aug 2014
Pretty solid episode
I liked the space fighter battles
I wish that more lower admirals on the empire's side could actually do something because they pretty much always lose because of a "trap"
May 22, 2015 9:03 PM

Jan 2013
Julian was surprisingly talented and lucky.
Good episode.
May 26, 2015 7:12 AM
Nov 2014
Very interesting development on Julian... I wonder what major role will he play later in the series. Episode was solid, the new OP was great by the way.
Jun 5, 2015 1:43 PM

Jun 2007
Of course Julian shot down a cruiser on his first mission...

Jun 24, 2015 12:18 AM

Dec 2013
Solid start to the new season. I appreciate the recap at the beginning. Not a big fan of the new op. I miss Kircheis :(
Jul 2, 2015 2:06 AM

Jun 2014
I finally recovered from the ending of S1, so it's time to get back on track.

Pretty good first epiosde for a new season.
Nice battle scenes and what seems to be the start of an arc for Julian.

Also, Phezzan will not support the empire exculsively?
That can't be good thing for the free plants.
Sep 11, 2015 7:17 AM

Jan 2014
"In every time, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same."
insan3Inquisitor said:
Yes.
Oct 12, 2015 11:51 AM

Nov 2012
Well that was a heartwarming scene near the end when Julian reunites with Yang and the others. Almost everyone is laughing and smiling haha. Man Julian's and Attenborugh are pretty much the only people left that Yang has a close connection to from what I can tell, hopefully they'll stay alive.

Really though Attenbourough's (sorry if im not spelling that correctly) fleet got their asses saved by yang practically two times. First time the enemy commander just assumes that yang is on the other side so that makes him hesistate for long enough, then yang actually manages to go from sleeping on a bench to getting a huge fleet to mobilize and save their asses right before shit hits the fan.

Looks like Reinhard's doing pretty well, freaking prime minister and hes what, 20, 21? Don't know how much time has passed since the first episode. Its interesting he's doing all these reforms, looks like he abolished that old corrupt nobel system, made better laws and priveledges for the common people, funnily enough that makes their system seem more like the concept of free planet alliance?

EDIT : Well the Wiki has specific year for every episode and specific months for some episode. Apparently two years passed from first episode of the first season, to the first episode of the second season, so that'd make Reinhard 22 I suppose

And yeah I've noticed the show seems to be pointing to Julian being a very important character somehow, he's just standing alone in that ending 2 cinematic..

Yeah I dislike the new OP/ED at least compared to the first two anyway.
midnightbladeOct 12, 2015 1:04 PM
Jan 8, 2016 7:23 PM
May 2015
I particularly enjoyed seeing Julian dog fighting against other pilots. Up to this point, the fighter pilots were pretty downplayed, so it was interesting to see action from their perspective.

In regards to the new opening/ending, I'm sure it'll grow on me. Most of the time, anime openings and endings don't catch my attention until i'm a few episodes into it.

Gonna keep watching the show as I really enjoy it. Based on the prequel movies and what I've seen so far, this anime is gonna be a 10/10 for me.
May 16, 2016 5:25 PM
Aug 2014
great episode but I kept thinking about patlabor though when ever Olivier Poplin spoke as his va also plays asuma from patlabor.
hilikusssMay 16, 2016 5:41 PM
Jun 9, 2016 12:47 PM

Aug 2014
Aww!! Tsun-tsun Yang :P

Of course you gotta have Julian acting all ominous and shit for the ending song sequence...Seems like he's going to play a big role this season.

Not really feeling the new OP/ED but I'll get used to it.
Jan 13, 2017 5:08 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
First battle of Julian, with nices showing!!!

Dramatic and tearful scene when the older soldier hurries to Julian to leave, before the ship explodes!!!! ; _ ;
May 8, 2017 8:46 PM
Jul 2018
After 15 day break and watching the very first episode of season 2...

The new era felt "little" weird. We see Reinherd with a woman, which appeared 10 episode before (yeah she looks good replacement for Kircheis instead of Obernstein).

Julian finally on aggressive mood which is the thing I was displeased... well wang looks energetic when Julian's with him and I really will miss those moments...

Jan 19, 2018 12:09 AM

May 2016
I took one day off but it really sucks knowing that Krechies is not there anymore.
Julian did a great job in his first fight, destroying a mothership and two Valkyries.
Apr 22, 2018 9:29 AM
Sep 2016
Really good, and recapping while still advancing the plot. Not easy.
Sep 19, 2018 6:18 PM

Feb 2017
New OP and ED are fine, but they don't compare to season 1's. Skies of Love is so beautiful.
Jul 13, 2019 1:04 PM
Mar 2018
Good start to the season in my opinion. I found myself more focused than the first time around, and even then I thought the show was great and ended powerfully. Really can't wait to see what becomes of Julian, who is, for some reason, a fond side character to me.

Also, RIP Kircheis. T_T I was spoiled of his death already but it came a lot sooner than expected, and not in the way I expected.
Oct 30, 2019 5:52 AM

Oct 2012
Damn Julian just went badass.. kinda
He blewed up the big ship afterall
Guess he's a lucky one like Yang Wen-li

But all favours are on Empire's side

New OP & ED eh.. I'll miss the old ones, they grew on me already
Also no Sieg :(
"Signature removed"
Dec 26, 2019 9:10 AM

Nov 2016
Great episode for Julian with many strong moments, loved it.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 33 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - May 29, 2008

58 by ELuck42 »»
Yesterday, 11:23 AM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - May 28, 2008

97 by ELuck42 »»
Apr 16, 8:39 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 69 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - Jun 1, 2008

73 by leyaf »»
Apr 13, 3:20 AM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - May 27, 2008

89 by MewkiWay »»
Apr 12, 10:03 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tainteddonut - May 28, 2008

109 by ELuck42 »»
Apr 12, 8:59 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.