Forum Settings
Forums

Do you wish your culture was more represent in anime?

New
Apr 27, 4:08 AM

Mar 2023
A lot of anime focus on culture outside of Japan like American, British, German, Italian, French, Russian and Chinese culture. Do you wish anime would give your native culture more attention?
Apr 27, 4:10 AM

Feb 2020
Not really that necessary in my opinion.
Apr 27, 4:20 AM

Mar 2012
No, I don't particularly care about my culture being represented in anime.
Apr 27, 4:32 AM

Jun 2010
Those presentation is only a small faction of a particular culture.
Apr 27, 5:00 AM

May 2019
-Nope, i'm happy with anime as it is.
Apr 27, 5:03 AM

Nov 2021
If it( a character) get represented like it was in across the spider verse then I wouldn’t mind.
Apr 27, 5:10 AM

Feb 2020
I don't really mind, my country commonly shows up in Anime in the form of locations or characters, and the characters are either snobby tea drinkers or completely generic, could literally be anyone from anywhere.
Apr 27, 5:45 AM

May 2022
Funnily enough, my home in the South West of England is better represented in anime than in my country's own entertainment industry. The Fate series has been to Glastonbury, The Ancient Magus' Bride and Kiniro Mosaic to the Cotwolds. British media on the other hand is wholly London centric and only really represents the culture of inner city areas.
Apr 27, 5:46 AM

Aug 2020
Only the good side. Lately, the culture here in Lala Land has been a total disgrace.

Apr 27, 5:46 AM

Jan 2009
no i find pinoy pride toxic itself or rather too much nationalism outside of sports is toxic for me
Apr 27, 5:49 AM

Nov 2020
No.
"The only ones who should kill, are those who are prepared to be killed." ~ Lelouch vi Britannia
Apr 27, 5:55 AM

Dec 2015
I wouldn't mind if my culture would be more represented but at least accurately.

Usually such stuff are like a magnets and it summons many people from my country whenever there is a reference, so it is nice to see, so far I am waiting for https://myanimelist.net/anime/52215/Chi__Chikyuu_no_Undou_ni_Tsuite as it is happening in Late Medieval Poland and a couple of characters seems to have legit Polish names/nicknames which brings some hope for a very good representation, for those wondering what characters I mean [form source material character list. I don't know the source material and the characters from other countries might have the same name]:

Rafał, Jolenta [Jolanta would be proper, as Jolenta I think is the Hungarian variation], Draka [mainly it means a fight but I wouldn't give such name to a character because it is no longer used in nowadays Polish and in some slangs it meant simply means dirty toilet/pants with visible shit traces and those traces are called Draka/Dracha], Oczy [It means Eyes, it ain't a name], Badeni? [There are some Polish peolpe of such last name, even past aristocrats but it ain't sounding typically for Polish language.], Hubert [It is not only in Poland, as few european countries give it too, ex. France or Germany], Lewandlowki [I see.... Nice one], Piast [It is a reference/name associated with first Piast Dynasty who established/created Poland in Xth century], Potocki.

Still waiting for Hussars in anime, maybe some day... [Not to mention other stuff as Drużyna Książeca - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Druzhina , etc.]

Apr 27, 6:01 AM

Nov 2014
Reply to deg
no i find pinoy pride toxic itself or rather too much nationalism outside of sports is toxic for me
@deg Is Barangay 143 considered as an anime?

Aug 2018
Faye Valentine from Cowboy Bebop is Singaporean, if I remember correctly.

A few Singaporean landmarks have popped up in anime before, so that's cool, I guess.

Culture wise, I don't really care for more representation.

Oct 2023
No, America isn't that interesting. Plus what is interesting about anime is that it highlights Japan. I like how in anime, artists will find real world scenes and draw them into the show. Even if it's just a Family Mart or a rail crossing it showcases aspects of real life Japan. Although they did an amazing job in Aria with countless scenes from Venice, Italy incorporated into the series.
Apr 27, 6:15 AM

Jul 2021
no its shit i don't want it to watch in anime

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

Apr 27, 6:16 AM

Jan 2009
Reply to mizukasa
@deg Is Barangay 143 considered as an anime?
@mizukasa japan will consider every animation anime anyway like disney animated movies for them are anime too so ye
Apr 27, 6:31 AM

Nov 2019

No, dont care that much. Japanese anime = japanese culture. Simple. If it exposes the watchers to other cultures amazing!
I am a COMPLETIONIST. Aiming to finish AS MANY ANIME as possible before DEATH, Despite them being SATISFACTORY or if they are BORING.

I WATCH THE LOWEST SCORED/RATED/RANKED ANIMES ON MAL (OR you can CALL THEM The WORST animes in the WORLD - No Joke Like Seriously)

No anime has actually satisfied my anime taste, That I can call a MasterPiece (10/10), still searching... hopefully one day I will find that show and obsess over it till I die.
RULE NO.4 I MUST WATCH ALL CONTENT FOR THE SERIES I HAVE FINISHED, NOW THIS ONE IS QUITE EXHILARATING.
Apr 27, 6:40 AM

Sep 2016
No, if anything I would like to see Anime that avoid cultural representation, because this type of Anime is almost nonexistent.
But that's probably out of the question, since most Anime are made in Japan for Japan.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Apr 27, 11:47 AM

Oct 2017
There's already a ton of movies and shows about American culture so I don't see it all to necessary.
This post is brought to you by your local transfem gamer goblin. Will not tolerate bigotry and will fight against "anti-woke" sentiment to make the anime community a safer place.
Apr 27, 12:16 PM

Mar 2008
Not really, no. Id like more variety of characters and settings to keep things from being stale but I would hate to constantly see that as if I dont already have enough of them in the flesh. Also in most cases they would do a bad job so to me it is just fun to see what the writer thinks of foreigners lol
Apr 27, 12:24 PM

Sep 2007
Reply to LightWorker
I don't really mind, my country commonly shows up in Anime in the form of locations or characters, and the characters are either snobby tea drinkers or completely generic, could literally be anyone from anywhere.
LightWorker said:

Same here minus the country part, but for my heritage and culture (China).
Apr 27, 1:20 PM

Jan 2013
Fuck no nigga, what?

YOU'RE ALL A BUNCH OF FAGS
Apr 27, 1:30 PM

Jul 2023
No, it's fine as it is now. But I'm happy Code Geass did this:
Apr 27, 1:49 PM

Oct 2010
My culture is already enough presented in anime but I blame gantz for making us look so bad
Apr 27, 1:56 PM

May 2021
Spunkert said:
A lot of anime focus on culture outside of Japan like American, British, German, Italian, French, Russian and Chinese culture. Do you wish anime would give your native culture more attention?

I'm happy when i see my cupture in anime, but i don't give a shit about asking for more of it!

I'll only accept it if the author includes it by choice, not if they're forced to do so for representation's sake!
What debating with DigiCat is like according to APolygons2
That's why I thought a discussion would be pointless. It doesn't feel like a debate. It feels like I'm playing chess and somehow lose to an uno reverse card after loosing all my monopoly money lol
Apr 27, 2:05 PM

May 2021
Reply to Zettaiken
I wouldn't mind if my culture would be more represented but at least accurately.

Usually such stuff are like a magnets and it summons many people from my country whenever there is a reference, so it is nice to see, so far I am waiting for https://myanimelist.net/anime/52215/Chi__Chikyuu_no_Undou_ni_Tsuite as it is happening in Late Medieval Poland and a couple of characters seems to have legit Polish names/nicknames which brings some hope for a very good representation, for those wondering what characters I mean [form source material character list. I don't know the source material and the characters from other countries might have the same name]:

Rafał, Jolenta [Jolanta would be proper, as Jolenta I think is the Hungarian variation], Draka [mainly it means a fight but I wouldn't give such name to a character because it is no longer used in nowadays Polish and in some slangs it meant simply means dirty toilet/pants with visible shit traces and those traces are called Draka/Dracha], Oczy [It means Eyes, it ain't a name], Badeni? [There are some Polish peolpe of such last name, even past aristocrats but it ain't sounding typically for Polish language.], Hubert [It is not only in Poland, as few european countries give it too, ex. France or Germany], Lewandlowki [I see.... Nice one], Piast [It is a reference/name associated with first Piast Dynasty who established/created Poland in Xth century], Potocki.

Still waiting for Hussars in anime, maybe some day... [Not to mention other stuff as Drużyna Książeca - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Druzhina , etc.]

@Zettaiken This anime actually looks very interesting

Zettaiken said:
Draka [mainly it means a fight but I wouldn't give such name to a character because it is no longer used in nowadays Polish and in some slangs it meant simply means dirty toilet/pants with visible shit traces and those traces are called Draka/Dracha]

I have a vague feeling whoever picked the name did their research thoroughly and picked it for that very reason 🥲🥹😂🤣
What debating with DigiCat is like according to APolygons2
That's why I thought a discussion would be pointless. It doesn't feel like a debate. It feels like I'm playing chess and somehow lose to an uno reverse card after loosing all my monopoly money lol
Apr 27, 2:14 PM

Mar 2019
No, I honestly don't care about that.

Apr 27, 2:45 PM

Aug 2018
As an American, I most certainly do not. Americanized anime makes me wanna PUKE!
Apr 27, 11:32 PM

Feb 2021
No, wouldn't matter either way. And those who demand for one are weird.
"Nobody could laugh at someone who's trying their hardest" -Machio-

Apr 27, 11:34 PM

Jul 2016
Ehhh, nothing that interesting from the back of the woods I'm from haha. Maybe a good camping anime would be pretty vibey over here.
Apr 27, 11:37 PM

Jul 2019
Hell no, I get enough of my own culture in my own life, let me fantasize about a mystical place called japan, where all the girls are hot, and crazy over complete losers like me.
Apr 27, 11:48 PM

Dec 2019
No, I don't want that. Most of my countrymen have nationalistic jingoist pride. It would be really bad if they came in Anime community 😭😭
Apr 28, 10:14 AM

Nov 2014
Not necessarily. That doesn't bother me at all. It's cool when there's a reference from my country, but that's it.
Apr 28, 10:23 AM

May 2018
Not enough Russian. I agree on any stereotype lol. It's still cool and funny how they show it.
Just don't make it out of hatred, like they did in Golden Kamuy ("I'll beat ya dirty pale Russian asses, you filthy pigs" the protagonist said calmly) or in those few nazi-positive movies which glorify WW2 Germans and Japanese and make Russians bad instead.

May 7, 2:31 PM
Sep 2014
No.

If I wanted to see my culture than I wouldn't be watching anime.

We gave our own entertainment industry. There's no need for anime to represent us.
May 7, 3:52 PM
Sep 2013
Reply to dsfjr1190
No.

We gave our own entertainment industry. There's no need for anime to represent us.
dsfjr1190 said:
No.

We gave our own entertainment industry. There's no need for anime to represent us

Based

A large appeal of anime is the distinctly Japanese aspect of it. Idc if my culture is represented.
May 7, 5:03 PM

Dec 2021
Honestly... who the fuck needs to see American representation in anime?

Shallow American stereotypes about American Americanism are just fine, though. I like those.
Daviljoe193May 7, 5:06 PM
Opinions are opinions, and differing opinions can co-exist. 🙂 But I don't do debate, life's too short to spend time debating people.
May 7, 5:20 PM

Oct 2013
Nope. I don't need representation to enjoy something. And I especially don't expect a series from Japan to focus on a character of Spanish descent.

More topics from this board

» Genre/theme you’re not interested in ? ( 1 2 )

Yonahim_Zz - May 7

74 by Nurguburu »»
23 seconds ago

» If you could change one anime into being a hardcore ecchi, which one would you pick?

APolygons2 - 15 minutes ago

7 by Nurguburu »»
2 minutes ago

» Why are modern anime fights so awful?

_Nette_ - May 7

45 by FanofAction »»
2 minutes ago

» Do you think your favorite characters can be friends?

Yonahim_Zz - 2 hours ago

23 by keepinup »»
7 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you have ridiculously long ptw list? ( 1 2 )

Cammell - Yesterday

70 by girltokyo »»
8 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.