Forums

'Yuri!!! on Ice: Ice Adolescence' Anime Movie Cancels Production

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Apr 19, 8:47 AM

Aug 2011
Reply to Icebreaker93
@CrazyFrogz
I prefer Vinland going back to WIT's hands than MAPPA.
Season 2 of Vinland was a passion project, hardly MAPPA will want to do a sequel, lately they are focusing on their cash cows and original projects, bcs original IP brings more money to the studio than manga adaptations.
@Icebreaker93 we got csm movie and jjk s3 though? That is manga adaption.
Apr 19, 8:56 AM

Apr 2009
I wonder if we'll ever get some behind the scenes details on what actually happened. As for the news, in a sense it was expected but still sad. I guess YoI won't be anything more than a single cour anime.

I really don't buy the "money" talk because they keep producing mediocre fujo anime that sell like absolute shit and no one cares about (like I doubt Bucchigiri made them more money than YoI even with them having a better contract). Even if they were not interested, it was a franchise literally shitting gold, I find unlikely no one thought of milking it in some ways (even just getting a different studio which happens all the time).
Jin_uzukiApr 19, 9:02 AM

Apr 19, 9:06 AM

Sep 2015
Thanks MAPPA, very cool
Apr 19, 9:30 AM
Jan 2019
Reply to Memore
@Lucifrost, indeed, Tadaima and Twilight are not as good as Yuri. Let's hope that the movie will be RELEASED in future, maybe by another studio, it doesn't matter to me.
@Memore imo both of them are pretty solid (bl) manga (as well as the authors in general), but yeah, YOI is just something special in a way how influential it was and an original at that. Another studio taking the anime instead is common enough (AOT, OPM, Highschool dxd etc.), so I hope we hear the good news soon.
Apr 19, 9:39 AM
Aug 2015
Tbh I expected they would cancel this film. Hype was gone, Mappa took many ambitious projects, so I'm not surprised.
Apr 19, 10:07 AM

Feb 2021
Reply to Nutella71
@Memore imo both of them are pretty solid (bl) manga (as well as the authors in general), but yeah, YOI is just something special in a way how influential it was and an original at that. Another studio taking the anime instead is common enough (AOT, OPM, Highschool dxd etc.), so I hope we hear the good news soon.
@Nutella71, I hope so too!
Apr 19, 10:12 AM

Mar 2011
Reply to CrazyFrogz
@Icebreaker93 we got csm movie and jjk s3 though? That is manga adaption.
@CrazyFrogz

CSM is fully funded by MAPPA, as for jjk 3 if its the same situtation as s2 dont bother with it.
Apr 19, 10:55 AM

Apr 2015
I totally forgot this was going to be a thing. Well no news so of course it would be cancelled.

What is going to be next? That Akira remake lol? Token Ranbu Movie from Ufotable?
Apr 19, 11:17 AM

May 2019
MAPPA I HATE YOU MAPPA I HATE YOU MAPPA I HATE YOU MAPPA I HATE YOU MAPPA I HATE YOU MAPPA I HATE YOU MAPPA I HATE YOU MAPPA I HATE YOU MAPPA I HATE YOU MAPPA I HATE YOU MAPPA I HATE YOU MAPPA I HATE YOU MAPPA I HATE YOU MAPPA I HATE YOU MAPPA I HATE YOU MAPPA I HATE YOU MAPPA I HATE YOU MAPPA I HATE YOU MAPPA I HATE YOU MAPPA I HATE YOU MAPPA I HATE YOU MAPPA I HATE YOU MAPPA I HATE YOU MAPPA I HATE YOU MAPPA I HATE YOU MAPPA I HATE YOU MAPPA I HATE YOU MAPPA I HATE YOU MAPPA I HATE YOU MAPPA I HATE YOU MAPPA I HATE YOU MAPPA I HATE YOU MAPPA I HATE YOU MAPPA I HATE YOU MAPPA I HATE YOU MAPPA I HATE YOU MAPPA I HATE YOU MAPPA I HATE YOU MAPPA I HATE YOU MAPPA I HATE YOU MAPPA I HATE YOU MAPPA I HATE YOU MAPPA I HATE YOU MAPPA I HATE YOU MAPPA I HATE YOU MAPPA I HATE YOU MAPPA I HATE YOU MAPPA I HATE YOU MAPPA I HATE YOU MAPPA I HATE YOU MAPPA I HATE YOU MAPPA I HATE YOU MAPPA I HATE YOU MAPPA I HATE YOU MAPPA I HATE YOU MAPPA I HATE YOU MAPPA I HATE YOU MAPPA I HATE YOU MAPPA I HATE YOU MAPPA I HATE YOU MAPPA I HATE YOU MAPPA I HATE YOU MAPPA I HATE YOU MAPPA I HATE YOU MAPPA I HATE YOU MAPPA I HATE YOU MAPPA I HATE YOU MAPPA I HATE YOU MAPPA I HATE YOU MAPPA I HATE YOU MAPPA I HATE YOU MAPPA I HATE YOU MAPPA I HATE YOU MAPPA I HATE YOU MAPPA I HATE YOU MAPPA I HATE YOU MAPPA I HATE YOU MAPPA I HATE YOU
Apr 19, 11:44 AM
Dec 2020
Reply to Icebreaker93
@CrazyFrogz
Season 2 of Vinland was a passion project, hardly MAPPA will want to do a sequel, lately they are focusing on their cash cows and original projects, bcs original IP brings more money to the studio than manga adaptations.
@Icebreaker93 very least chance of happening with Director Anip and one of the main animators being full-time employees at Mappa,even though the director said that in order to make VS, he will take it to any studio to make it, but he will not consider that because that could result in Mappa losing the staff it gained by accepting the IP in the first place, which Mappa won't allow. 
Apr 19, 11:44 AM
Dec 2020
Reply to Icebreaker93
@CrazyFrogz
@Icebreaker93 very least chance of happening with Director Anip and one of the main animators being full-time employees at Mappa,even though the director said that in order to make VS, he will take it to any studio to make it, but he will not consider that because that could result in Mappa losing the staff it gained by accepting the IP in the first place, which Mappa won't allow. 
Apr 19, 11:50 AM
Dec 2020
Reply to Jin_uzuki
I wonder if we'll ever get some behind the scenes details on what actually happened. As for the news, in a sense it was expected but still sad. I guess YoI won't be anything more than a single cour anime.

I really don't buy the "money" talk because they keep producing mediocre fujo anime that sell like absolute shit and no one cares about (like I doubt Bucchigiri made them more money than YoI even with them having a better contract). Even if they were not interested, it was a franchise literally shitting gold, I find unlikely no one thought of milking it in some ways (even just getting a different studio which happens all the time).
@Jin_uzuki why not? Otsuka, the CEO, literally said in an interview that despite how big the YoI was, the revenue from it returning to the studio was very low in comparison, and yeah, they could on paper make more from Bucchigiri than they did with the YoI. 
Apr 19, 12:25 PM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Sad, I'm sure a lot of people, including me, were eagerly waiting for this.

I know MAPPA didn't make a whole lot of money from this, but they gained a lot of fans and it's not going to make them happy...
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Apr 19, 12:46 PM

Apr 2021
Reply to Icebreaker93
@CrazyFrogz
@Icebreaker93 Both statements are wrong.

For one, while Vinland Saga is not a big seller in Japan, it does have a pretty passionate fanbase overseas, and mostly importantly, it performed incredibly well on streaming, being one of the most watched series last year on Netflix. And streaming in general has become one of the biggest sources of income for producers, so there is very good reason for the committee and MAPPA itself to push for it, specially since having people like Yabuta and Hasegawa in high executive positions probably makes that easier.

And "original IPs bring more money than adaptations".... eh, not quite. How much money the studio itself gets from a series is heavily based on their position on the committee, regardless if it's an adaptation or not. MAPPA does, make a lot from their recent productions like Bucchigiri and Zenshuu because they are investing a ton directly into them, but that's not how it works for all original projects in general.
Apr 19, 12:50 PM

Jun 2020
Not surprised in the least. This thing was left for dead years ago; I just wonder why they waited until now to admit they pulled the plug.
Apr 19, 1:01 PM

Mar 2010
Disappointing but I have definitely been waiting for a official news for this for a while. Hope the rights is given to another company :/
Apr 19, 2:07 PM
Aug 2018
I find this very, very nice, haha!
Apr 19, 2:31 PM

Jul 2013
I kind of expected it after all this years but it still sad they took this long to announce it. Can't help but wonder if it was decided a long time ago and they kind of put off the announcement until now. I just wish the studio handled things differently considering how much hype and support they received from fans. They are already receiving some backlash from it
Apr 19, 2:50 PM

Jul 2012
Given the time we've been waiting, I'm not surprised. But I'm still sad to see it finally set in stone that there will be no sequel. This anime lit something in me, and I fell in love with it. Here's to hoping one day they might turn around and restart some sort of YoI project, but that's just me coping. :')
Apr 19, 2:52 PM

Apr 2009
Reply to M-T_S
@Jin_uzuki why not? Otsuka, the CEO, literally said in an interview that despite how big the YoI was, the revenue from it returning to the studio was very low in comparison, and yeah, they could on paper make more from Bucchigiri than they did with the YoI. 
@M-T_S Clearly it made enough for them to announce a sequel, milk the characters in a bunch of gacha and people even speculate rewrite the ending at last minute for a sequel.

Bucchigiri is an high production value that is a literally money black hole, YoI was the biggest anime of the last ten years that sold so much even 10% of that is gold.

Apr 19, 3:50 PM
Nov 2016
Lucifrost said:
I doubt any of those are as good as Yuri On Ice. I will accept more Kono Danshi if the other Yamamoto is willing and able.

Memore said:
@Lucifrost, indeed, Tadaima and Twilight are not as good as Yuri. Let's hope that the movie will be RELEASED in future, maybe by another studio, it doesn't matter to me

I know that they will never be as good as Yuri on Ice, but considering that BL anime are still rare (unfortunately) I'll have to take what I can get lol (I still hope that series like I cannot reach you, My love mix-up, I hear the sunspot, harukaze no etranger, hirano to kagiura, etc, will get an anime adaptation in future)
Apr 19, 8:09 PM

Aug 2016
Good. hope that means CSM s2 and Vinland saga s3 in process
:v
Apr 19, 10:38 PM

Feb 2021
Reply to dodoxdo97
Lucifrost said:
I doubt any of those are as good as Yuri On Ice. I will accept more Kono Danshi if the other Yamamoto is willing and able.

Memore said:
@Lucifrost, indeed, Tadaima and Twilight are not as good as Yuri. Let's hope that the movie will be RELEASED in future, maybe by another studio, it doesn't matter to me

I know that they will never be as good as Yuri on Ice, but considering that BL anime are still rare (unfortunately) I'll have to take what I can get lol (I still hope that series like I cannot reach you, My love mix-up, I hear the sunspot, harukaze no etranger, hirano to kagiura, etc, will get an anime adaptation in future)
@dodoxdo97, Blue Flag of course Kieta Hatsukoi also, don't forget about them!

Apr 20, 1:04 AM

Mar 2020
...Ahem, so, can we get word on the Zombieland Saga movie next?
In the end, all girls are like the rose bride
Apr 20, 5:13 AM

Jan 2016
I hope one day they might make more...
Apr 20, 8:18 AM
Jun 2021
Financial reasons, most definitely. Yuri is where the money's at nowadays.
Hot Blood saves lives.
Apr 20, 8:45 AM

Aug 2012
It was to be expected after so many years without any updates, but it's still pretty sad. It was definitely an anime that deserved continuation.
Apr 20, 9:01 AM

Aug 2010
I'm glad I never got into the franchise, imagine waiting seven years for this.
Bum Bum Dum Dum

Apr 20, 9:05 AM

Feb 2021
Reply to malvarez1
@malvarez1, you can watch the TV anime anytime.
Apr 20, 10:06 AM

Apr 2012
Reply to malvarez1
@malvarez1 The difficulty is that you can never predict which franchise will suffer, when and how.
Apr 20, 12:55 PM

Aug 2015
Not sad because I was never a fan of the show or the genre to begin with. Still, I feel for all you yuri on ice fans who waited so long for a sequel, especially considering how less yaoi anime even are.

But this is not the first time a popular show was cancelled without a new season and probably will not be the last too
Apr 20, 2:27 PM
Dec 2020
Reply to Jin_uzuki
@M-T_S Clearly it made enough for them to announce a sequel, milk the characters in a bunch of gacha and people even speculate rewrite the ending at last minute for a sequel.

Bucchigiri is an high production value that is a literally money black hole, YoI was the biggest anime of the last ten years that sold so much even 10% of that is gold.
Jin_uzuki said:
announce a sequel,
And who makes the announcement for them? Was it Mappa or Avex who stands at the top of the production committee and gets the most profits out of it? 
Apr 20, 2:28 PM
Dec 2020
Reply to MichaelJackson
Good. hope that means CSM s2 and Vinland saga s3 in process
@MichaelJackson both of them aren't
Apr 20, 2:41 PM
Voltekka!

Sep 2017
It was made by MAPPA, it was bound to happen.
Apr 20, 9:27 PM

Apr 2021
Great news, get this gay shit outta here.
Apr 20, 10:08 PM

Jul 2020
really sad news considering yuri on ice was such a phenomenon for BL anime. I'm curious to know how far along production was though. 7 years in the oven and they cancel it just like that? was work on the movie so slow that it couldn't justify continued funding? or was this just a decision from the higher-ups to save money because some of their other projects failed...
Apr 20, 10:25 PM

Mar 2021
Very sad to hear this news. Yuri on Ice!!! was a great show that there is sadly too little material for.

Apr 21, 12:14 AM

Mar 2015
Gay bait anime are more trendy than ever, they could definitely have made some profit here. Especially now that all the fujos will stop watching jjk cuz it's gojover. Oh well
Apr 21, 2:46 AM

Feb 2021
Reply to LeonhartAugust
It was made by MAPPA, it was bound to happen.
@LeonhartAugust, not necessarily.
Apr 21, 4:48 AM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
Reply to TheSekiryuutei
The less yaoi and yuri we have the better world becomes, this was a good day.
TheSekiryuutei said:

I would not go as hard as you, but I honestly couldn't care less for this show even in 2017, and they still trying to produce a movie 7 years later, OKAY, absolute indifference towards this.
Apr 21, 8:40 AM

Aug 2018
That's unfortunate news for the fans.
Apr 21, 10:57 AM
Jun 2021
Reply to TheSekiryuutei
@TheSekiryuutei says the creep who probs touches himself to Loli hentao
Apr 21, 11:04 AM
Dec 2020
Reply to Kaikaidou
really sad news considering yuri on ice was such a phenomenon for BL anime. I'm curious to know how far along production was though. 7 years in the oven and they cancel it just like that? was work on the movie so slow that it couldn't justify continued funding? or was this just a decision from the higher-ups to save money because some of their other projects failed...
@Kaikaidou the Movie barely moved out of the Script/Storyboard phase as it was getting rejected, the Director even redo the SB atleast 2 times before she moved on to another project
Apr 21, 12:47 PM

May 2013
Yuri on ice had such a powerful impact on me, lol, it made me love BL. I grew up thinking I will see this movie one day.. this is really sad

Apr 23, 8:56 AM
May 2021
What the hell ?
I was waiting for a long time .
Now this ......
Apr 23, 11:37 AM

Apr 2012
Reply to Mirai
Gay bait anime are more trendy than ever, they could definitely have made some profit here. Especially now that all the fujos will stop watching jjk cuz it's gojover. Oh well
@Mirai Am I the only one who's intrigued that no one here is discussing this show as a good sports anime, focusing only on the BL aspect of the series? Although this was never the main theme of the plot.
Apr 24, 1:19 AM
Mar 2024
It's truly disappointing news to hear about the cancellation of the "Yuri!!! on Ice
Apr 24, 3:38 AM

Apr 2009
Not even the fujo power could fund this?
Apr 27, 1:43 AM

Apr 2012
Reply to Nanaca
Not even the fujo power could fund this?
@Nanaca Fujo power is now funding a bunch of their battle shonens.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» 'Mononoke: Karakasa' Reveals Supporting Cast, Theme Song, Third Trailer

DatRandomDude - 2 hours ago

0 by DatRandomDude »»
2 hours ago

» New '5-toubun no Hanayome' Anime in Production

Vindstot - Apr 28

38 by Playcool »»
2 hours ago

» 'Kakuriyo no Yadomeshi' Gets Second Season in Fall 2025

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

15 by malvarez1 »»
4 hours ago

» New 'Keroro Gunsou' Anime Project Announced

DatRandomDude - Mar 31

12 by Foirelle »»
6 hours ago

» 'Kinnikuman: Kanpeki Chоujin Shiso-hen' Announces Supporting Cast

Nioxys - Apr 28

10 by RobertBobert »»
7 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.