Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 11, 9:37 AM

Nov 2011
Mendou being the center of this episode was bizarre.

However, I find it even amusing how the other characters were actaully worried about him. To the surprise of no one, Ataru is not good with kids. Seriously, he should be more gentle with them. Same with Ryuu. Mini Shinobu on a horse was not something I had expected LOL. What an epsiode.
Apr 11, 9:41 AM

Nov 2007
OP: "By My Darling feat. Miki Maria, Nito. (バイマイダーリン feat. みきまりあ, ニト。)"
also Noisy Love Songs - MAISONdes × URUSEIYATSURA Complete Collection -, album including all theme songs, releasing on June 5, 2024
https://www.sonymusic.co.jp/artist/MAISONdes/info/562388
tsubasaloverApr 11, 11:32 AM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Apr 11, 11:07 AM

Feb 2021
An amazing OP once again, though I prefer the last one a bit more. Sad that it'll be the last one we'll ever get :').
Really enjoyed seeing Mendo really pissed off and scary like that lol. Now we've got a time loop.
Really nice ED too.

And unrelated to the episode, but is Wind Breaker delayed or smth?
Apr 11, 11:52 AM

Jan 2018
Urusei Yatsura is finally back! Probably for the last time... Since this is the last cour.

The new OP's name is "Bye Bye Darling"... They didn’t have to hurt me by picking a name like that... The new OP and ED are both great. The ED surprised me since it’s almost entirely about Ataru. It's supposed to be him discovering Lum from his perspective. An Ataru-focused ED is the last thing I would expect from an Urusei Yatsura ED. If I'm not wrong, its English name is "You Make Me Feel Spring."

Another time travel focused episode. After all the debacles in the last cour I really didn’t think they'd adapt this story. Mendo giving himself the trauma that he travelled back to the past to cure is a classic example of a bootstrap paradox.

I really had to remake this meme that I saw in the original episode discussion forum.

This was probably the first full-length episode of the Remake to only adapt 2 chapters of the manga. Thus the pacing was great and we got some original scenes with the Mendo family in the past. Notably the kid Ryoko and the adultery scene between Mendo Mom & Dad. Those were great! Also appreciate that they gave child Mendo a different VA instead of just having Mendo VA do the voice for him like in the original.

Next episode is the return of Asuka. I really wasn’t sure if Asuka would return or not since her brother only really got a single episode back in Season 1. But we're not just getting just one Asuka episode but two back to back because of the "Part 1" in the end. I like her more than her brother so I see this as a win lol.

I have a few episodes that I'd wish to see in the Remake. Since Inaba's still in the new OP it gives me hope that his second story will finally be adapted into anime.
Apr 11, 12:36 PM

Nov 2016
Smol Mendo is cute as well.

They never miss with the theme songs and I'm sure these two will grow even more on me as we nearing towards the end.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Apr 11, 1:46 PM

Dec 2021
Yessss!!! We're back!!!! And with a hell of a classic episode too! Glad they went the full-length route this time, since this one really deserved it. David went full fuckin' throttle with this one too.
Opinions are opinions, and differing opinions can co-exist. 🙂 But I don't do debate, life's too short to spend time debating people.
Apr 11, 2:21 PM

Feb 2016
Not the best episode, but it was funny seeing Urusei Yatsura go for horror at the end.
その目だれの目?
Apr 11, 2:57 PM
Ero Ojisan

Jun 2019
So we get another Mendo episode except this time he's trying to conquer his fear of being in dark cramped places. Lum and the gang went back in time to see a younger version of Mendo. Too bad the trip back in time did nothing but made young Mendo scared an afraid as his present self.

I like the new OP over the previous one and the ED was good too.
Apr 11, 4:52 PM
Deadhead

Dec 2018
Back for the second cour, and sadly it will probably be the last but I’ve had a lot fun, it’s been a journey and half when I consider the OG show as well. And a new cour means a new OP and ED, and I’m ngl the OP song didn’t immediately click with me but I’m sure it will grow on me, really loved those visuals tho, the character with Ryuunosuke during one scene I absolutely was not expecting to be in the remake so I’m looking forward to that. The ED tho I loved immediately, great song and I really liked the focus on Ataru there, it feels very final too.

And it was very nice having an episode dedicated to one story once again, they’re the most reminiscent of classic episodes and the flow is much better. And i remember enjoying his one a lot in the OG, lots of good bits involving little Mendou like when he claimed Shinobu and Lum as his wives, as well as Ataru bullying the hell out him lol, it’s just unfortunate that once again we don’t have Megane and the gang to add that extra comedy, they were actually in the scene with the food near the beginning of this episode but did not appear again. I also liked seeing little Ryoko, very cute but still devious lol, and I also really liked the scene where Mendou was acting like a serial killer which ended up causing his own phobia, back when I watched the OG episode I called this twist pretty early on but it’s still funny to witness, I liked Mendou’s voice acting a lot as well.

And looks like we’re actually getting more Asuka next episode, very happy we were able to get more of her.
Apr 11, 5:34 PM
A sandwich

Jul 2020
New opening, probably the least appealing of this remake, but I'm willing to think that it'll grow on me. So will probably the ending sequence but at a much faster rate since I already jive with the song.

On the other hand it seems that Mendo caused his own phobia. Predictable? Maybe, but I wanted to see it to the end. Someone told me this was gonna be the last season of the adaptation so let's seize it to the end.
⠓⠥⠍⠁⠝⠊⠞⠽ ⠞⠓⠗⠕⠥⠛⠓ ⠎⠕⠍⠑ ⠎⠞⠥⠏⠊⠙⠊⠞⠽⠂ ⠎⠕⠍⠑ ⠺⠊⠇⠇ ⠎⠅⠊⠏ ⠺⠁⠎⠓⠊⠝⠛ ⠞⠓⠑⠊⠗ ⠓⠁⠝⠙⠎ ⠁⠝⠙ ⠑⠝⠙ ⠥⠏ ⠗⠥⠊⠝⠊⠝⠛ ⠊
⠞ ⠋⠕⠗ ⠑⠧⠑⠗⠽⠕⠝⠑
⠎⠓⠊⠊⠅⠕ ⠁⠕⠎⠕⠊⠂ ⠼⠃⠼⠚⠼⠁⠼⠓
Apr 11, 5:37 PM
Oct 2019
MENDO EPISODE LET'S GOOOOOO! Also the ending and opening are so cute <3 I can't wait for more!
Apr 11, 5:58 PM

Aug 2017
After 2 weeks of abstinence, some of the faces here seem vaguely familiar. 😅Here we go. I remember “Wretched Shutaro” as one of the most memorable chapters, not least because I always really like time paradox stories.

If there is only one advantage to the limited number of episodes, it is that you can really choose the cream of the crop of stories. 20 minutes that flew by and the best entertainment from Lums, Mendos, Atarus shenadigans.

0451 said:
This was probably the first full-length episode of the Remake to only adapt 2 chapters of the manga. Thus the pacing was great and we got some original scenes with the Mendo family in the past.
Yeah, this adaptation of two consecutive chapters as a single story reminded me a little of the classic series, especially because there were also original scenes. Would like more of it.🤗

The scene where Mendo tries to attack his younger self really made me laugh. According to the motto: "I'll kill him - just don't, it's you yourself." But Mendo is known for the fact that he likes to use the Kataner carelessly. It's like a habit.

And of course Lum in her almost iconic suit.

I don't know if it was conscious, but the scene where Lum used the lawn sprinkler to make the suits fit for herself, Shinobu, and Ryunosuke reminded me of the German saying "Passt wie angegossen." This is used to describe something that fits perfectly on someone (similar to the English "fits like a glove") - only it literally means: "fits like poured" I wonder if there is a similar saying in Japanese with pouring and fitting.

Watching the episode made me realize once again what a remarkable relationship Ataru and Mendo have. On the one hand, they are arch rivals, but they often act like brothers in spirit, for example when they were on the run together from the security guards or tried to escape little Mendo. I once read a fan's comment somewhere "Mendo is Ataru, only with money" - that sums it up pretty well.

Embient said:
An amazing OP once again, though I prefer the last one a bit more. Sad that it'll be the last one we'll ever get :'
I really like the new OPs and EDs (added them directly to my MP3 player🎶🔥). Less banger than Cour 1, but more dreamy.
In the ED, I think it's a bit of a shame that there are so few animations (most of the time either the classroom or Ataru) - but the animations in the OR are even nicer.

A very funny episode. Some running gags never fails to make me laugh, even after the thousand repetitions.😂

So next week Asaka's return. Could be chapters 237 - 239 ("Asaka's Return") or even additionally chapters 252 -256 ("The Date That Called Forth A Storm").
We'll figure it out.🤗

"Its dark, its cramped - I'm scaaaared"
😂
Apr 11, 6:00 PM

Nov 2007
@0451 it's "By My Darling" according to this, not "Bye Bye Darling"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnuMqMMf3yg
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Apr 11, 7:44 PM

Feb 2020
That's why they say time travel is not recommended, they themselves caused Mendō's phobia
Apr 11, 9:02 PM

Apr 2022
new OP and ED are such bangers, especially the OP and its visuals are great. mini mendo getting his ass beat by everyone was hilarious and smol ryoko was cute yet hilarious. feels like forever since the last episode and this was a really good comeback for the second cour.
Apr 11, 9:34 PM
Jun 2021
I did not like Atura this episode. I wish the visuals were better for the Ed and ops
Apr 11, 9:38 PM
Mar 2015
Mendo caused his own phobia by terrorizing his younger self Another time travel paradox
Apr 11, 10:44 PM

May 2015
Mendo was spoiled rotten as a kid, his antics on his future self created a self fulfilling loop that became the reason of his claustrophobia and nyctophobia. Well if any good came out of the time travel excursion, it's the female leads rocking those suits!
Apr 11, 10:45 PM
May 2021
New opening and ending are amazing. The went 4/4 in both. MAISONdes and David Production are a terrifying duo. Literally unstoppable.

Hilarious that Mendo’s phobia was directly caused by the gang going back to the past. Bro can’t catch a break. He’s had his life messed with ever since he was a kid 💀
Apr 12, 12:29 AM
Sep 2020
I really get impressed how did the episode end, I never thought I would see some terror stuff on UY and get kind of felt sorry for Mendo. A paradox plot similar to Interstellar ig. I would like to think the person caused the Mendo's nictophobia was Ryoko, I don'r have proof nor doubt.
Apr 12, 2:11 AM

May 2019
The OP is pretty good with those final chapter nuggets in it but I still prefer the previous OP and ED. Mamoru really goes all out with his pyscho impression looking to kill his young self lol.
lumjulian said:
don't know if it was conscious, but the scene where Lum used the lawn sprinkler to make the suits fit for herself, Shinobu, and Ryunosuke reminded me of the German saying "Passt wie angegossen." This is used to describe something that fits perfectly on someone (similar to the English "fits like a glove") - only it literally means: "fits like poured" I wonder if there is a similar saying in Japanese with pouring and fitting.
I don't quite remember this sprinkler part in the OG but this was a cool saying and it certainly fits. The relatonship between Ataru and Mendo not only frienemies but also bromance and they were shipped a lot in the fandom.

Hopefully Asuka's school will get adapted too in this season and that would be neat.

Apr 12, 4:11 AM

May 2014
I like how Mendou was scarier than most horror anime that try to be scary at the end there lol. Great voice acting.
Apr 12, 7:16 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Finally, we understand the origin of Mendo phobia!!! kekeke
Apr 12, 7:22 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Such a catchy and lively OP. So Mendo was trying to overcome his claustrophobia huh. I can see why he chose the jar method. Even as a kid Mendo sure was feisty. While Ryoko while damm adorable was evidently already a prankster. The Lum detail though was a nice disguise to take on. Shame that despite all that effort that Mendo's phobia wasn't cured. Hell they become the new cause for it lol.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 12, 11:02 AM
Nov 2022
What a good opening and ending, it makes me a little sad to know that it is the last cour....

An episode focused on Mendo, it was clear that Ataru would make the most of it xd.
Apr 12, 11:58 AM
Sep 2018
Woah Mendo going psycho was thrilling! He was so cute as a baba like you’d feel bad for him in which that’s the reason why he was scared of the dark in the first place! 😢😢😢
Apr 12, 12:43 PM
Feb 2020
Dang, that was like, 3 villain origin stories in one
Apr 12, 7:08 PM

Dec 2022
new OP was alright, new ED that's the good stuff
psycho Mendo is surely his truest form
Apr 13, 1:53 AM

May 2021
I had a feeling these bakas would be responsible for Mendo's trauma but even I was surprised when it turned out to be Mendo himself in his Psycho form. That form alone has so much more horror than horror anime wannabes.

Apr 13, 4:03 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Poor Shutaro I knew it, this trauma is because of himself xD
Apr 13, 2:10 PM

May 2015
So, Mendo caused himself his own claustrophobia. Isn't it a time paradox ?
Apr 13, 10:16 PM
Oct 2019
I still prefer the first OP and ED song.

Omg Lum with the gadget, is she like Doraemon? lol

LMAO Mendou causing a time paradox...
Mamoru Miyano is the GOAT, his voice acting are the best.
Apr 14, 4:14 AM
May 2021
Lol I knew these fellas would be the reason for his trauma XD
Apr 14, 4:56 AM

Apr 2014
It's hilarious how Mendou's trauma was caused by himself from the future. The only thing that I would add to that episode is a Shining parody with "HEEEEERE'S MENDOU!"
Apr 14, 5:56 AM
Oct 2022
Reply to davidyodo24
I still prefer the first OP and ED song.

Omg Lum with the gadget, is she like Doraemon? lol

LMAO Mendou causing a time paradox...
Mamoru Miyano is the GOAT, his voice acting are the best.
In the original manga (and sometimes the OG anime), Lum takes the gadgets... from her bra.

Shuutaro made a clear joke about this :D (chapter 24)

HelstarApr 16, 7:12 PM
Apr 14, 10:06 AM

Dec 2021
Someone seriously needs to conduct a study on how MAISONdes never misses; she only produces bangers.

I can't believe they traveled through time again, mostly to repeatedly hit young Mendo with a plastic toy hammer. It was a funny twist on the wooden mallet that the show has been using quite a bit.

Apr 16, 2:53 PM

Jul 2016
Mendou giving himself trauma via time paradox. Funniest shit I've ever seen!

Among the funniest episodes of the show for me. Smol Mendou abuse and Ataru with the toy hammer were pure comedy.
Also peak voice performance by Mamoru Miyano.
Apr 17, 7:39 PM
Jan 2024
What a good opening this second part of the season has and the ending is not bad either.
Apr 19, 9:10 AM

Oct 2017
Mendou caused his owm trauma lmao, karma. New OP/ED are both good but my least fav ones among all of them.
Apr 21, 1:22 AM

Jul 2017
The final cour's OST feels rather different, yet unique at the same time.

Mendo's training is rather...clustrophobic and nyctophobic, as it puts Ataru and the gang in question of whether he can actually overcome his phobias. And Lum has an idea: to take him back to his past to find out the roots of his phobia, though the lil' one is rather quite boorish and rather offensive taking on the guys, while the ladies try to handle it their way. And of course, the realization that Mendo finally broke out of his trauma after all that training, though coming like a zombie then to ultimately save his life and go back to the present, nothing has changed lols...or is it?

Always never change, Mendo.
Apr 24, 3:55 PM

Mar 2017
Mendo got bullied since two eps a row lol :,) (nice new opening btw)
Feel pain, think about pain, accept pain, know pain... Shinra Tensei!
Apr 30, 6:45 AM
Jul 2023
Cool opening, but no more. Episode 13 of Season 2 or 36 relaunches in the original anime 86 episode adaptation of chapters 178 and 179 of the manga. The series is entirely dedicated to one brand, as it consists of 2 chapters of the manga, almost completely repeats the original without major changes. Anime is a purely modern adaptation of manga, and not like a 1981 adaptation, and the plus side of the screenwriters is that there are straight interesting and memorable series that would fit into the setting of the author of the idea and complement his picture, it's just a series for the sake of fan service, well, perhaps it's better to give the opportunity to experiment than in fact repeat under pure manga only in a modern drawing, guys!
May 10, 3:54 PM

Feb 2012
Mendou telling his past father that he's his son without context was sure to make him a homewrecker. Fortunately, his past parents reconciled.

Bootstrap paradox! For a moment, future Mendou overcame his claustrophobia and was an unstoppable monster, making his past self hide in the jar room. Upon returning to his time though, it faded off.

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022

More topics from this board

Poll: » Urusei Yatsura (2022) 2nd Season Episode 18 Discussion

Stark700 - May 16

37 by Lightsrevenge »»
Yesterday, 6:44 PM

Poll: » Urusei Yatsura (2022) 2nd Season Episode 5 Discussion

Stark700 - Feb 8

48 by Kiikani »»
Yesterday, 1:49 PM

Poll: » Urusei Yatsura (2022) 2nd Season Episode 15 Discussion

Stark700 - Apr 25

43 by Fortress_Maximus »»
May 15, 3:46 PM

Poll: » Urusei Yatsura (2022) 2nd Season Episode 17 Discussion

Stark700 - May 9

28 by rasterman7 »»
May 13, 6:34 PM

Poll: » Urusei Yatsura (2022) 2nd Season Episode 14 Discussion

Stark700 - Apr 18

43 by Netbug »»
May 13, 11:04 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.