Forum Settings
Forums

What is your first anime and when did you start it?

New
Mar 26, 12:12 PM

Nov 2023
For me it was spring 2016, MHA s1 .

I was 9 years old at that time and my cousin was watching this with me.

And thus I started watching anime.

Now watching different animes for almost 8 years.

What about you?

(Pls don't include shows like DBZ, Doraemon, pokemon and kids show) :)
But it's so good, I've never known anybody like you
But it's so good, I've never dreamed of nobody like you
And I've heard of a love that comes once in a lifetime
And I'm pretty sure that you are that love of mine
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Mar 26, 12:13 PM
Mar 26, 12:14 PM

Nov 2023
@Serafos Also tell me the year you had started watching anime.
Mar 26, 12:16 PM

Feb 2020
Reply to Pinoffin
@Serafos Also tell me the year you had started watching anime.
@Pinoffin I wasn't an avid anime watcher until 2019, so I'm going to give you that year.
Mar 26, 12:16 PM

Mar 2023
The Moomins when i was like a toddle or something. So i guess i have technically watched anime for 29 years.
Mar 26, 12:20 PM

Nov 2023
Reply to Spunkert
The Moomins when i was like a toddle or something. So i guess i have technically watched anime for 29 years.
@Spunkert Moomins are currently airing in my country and also started airing when I was like 6 in my place. ^_^
Mar 26, 12:27 PM

Oct 2013
Probably rorouni kenshin in 2004 or 2005. The only thing i remember are the opening and the mc.
Mar 26, 12:30 PM

Oct 2018
I don't remember my first anime but I remember three of them.
1. Ao no Exorcist
2. Akame ga Kill
3. Attack on Titan
I watched it in 2016.
AdityaRizkiSMar 27, 2:39 AM
Mar 26, 12:31 PM
Apr 2014
Cardcaptor Sakura on TV. Back in 2003.
Mar 26, 12:35 PM

Jun 2017
My first anime was FMA, back in 2006-2007 when it was at a television program in my country. I was just a kid,dind't know what anime was back then.
I remembered some of the name (the alchemist part) in 2013-2014 and that was when I searched it, saw it, and then FMAB.
After that, I started to search for other similar shows and the rest is history :))
Mar 26, 12:41 PM

Sep 2007
It was ether Naruto, Bleach, FNA, Fate/stay night or Gundam Seed as I don't remember exactly which one. This was back in 2003/2004 or later while in high school.
Mar 26, 12:42 PM
Sep 2020
I probably have the weirdest first anime, specially considering my age, my first anime was Absolute Duo when i was 7, at the time, i didn't actually understand the ecchi scenes, and was just watching for the plot, i remember at the time i had finished watching DBZ i just went to the search page, and started seeking anime in a alphabetical order, the first one with a interessing cover, caught my attention, it's crazier how in the same year i also watched Shinmai Maou no Testament
Mar 26, 12:43 PM

Jan 2009
dragon ball z sometime during the early 1990s

yes im a 90s kid
Mar 26, 12:46 PM

Feb 2021
My first was Candy, Candy and it is my favorite also.
Mar 26, 12:47 PM

May 2021
Super basic and normie but I believe the first anime I ever watched consciously was Sword Art Online back in 2013. I didn't start watching anime seriously until about 2018-2019.

Before SAO though I had seen Pokémon and Digimon shows as a little kid. I just wasn't aware that I was watching anime at that time and I have no idea when I did watch them. PS2 games were more my speed at the time lol
Mar 26, 12:48 PM

Jun 2020
If we go a talk about time I didn’t know it was Shaman king in 2007 or something but for but for Anime I watched knowing I watched an anime it gonna be Vampire Knight in 2010
Mar 26, 12:51 PM

Jan 2022
As a child, I recall watching a Zorro anime (the spanish one not the one with green hair), a Sleeping Beauty anime, etc.
The only anime of my childhood that I was somewhat into was Sonic X (which I tried to watch again last year but it's pacing was too slow). Oh and Daddy Long Legs.
I recall watching a ton of Hentai and Highschool DxD in 2017.
And in 2021 I tried watching Kill la Kill, which I dropped on like the 6th or 5th episode, and at the same time I watched Konosuba, Redo of Healer, Goblin Slayer, GuP and Welcome to NHK which are the shows that have lead me to my almost 3 year long obsession with anime.
Mar 26, 12:53 PM

Aug 2011
I watched a lot of anime on TV when I was a kid without knowing what it was (I think everyone did), but it was Sailor Moon that was really responsible for getting me "into" anime. That was in 1998, and I was 13. I think it was during the summer, but this was a long time ago, so I don't really remember. Sailor Moon was also my first manga (1999), the first piece of anime merchandise I ever bought (two collectible cards on eBay, in 1999), and even my first subtitled anime (2001).

At first, it was just like any other random thing I happened to catch on TV, but I enjoyed it so much. After watching it every day for a few weeks (and recording it so I could rewatch it), I went online to find out more about this new show I'd found, and I learned about "anime," which at the time was something I'd never heard of. I knew I wanted to see more, so I quickly started watching as much anime as I could. I never imagined that I'd still be watching anime so many years later, but I still enjoy it so much that I've never even thought of stopping.
palm-treeMar 26, 1:05 PM
Mar 26, 12:57 PM

Oct 2017
The first Japanese anime I watched in Japanese was the original Dragon Ball series (the one where Goku is a kid). I watched it in both Japanese and English and compared the different scripts since that was the first time I had a DVD of a show that let you switch languages, so it was something I found rather cool as a 13-year-old.
This post is brought to you by your local transfem gamer goblin. Will not tolerate bigotry and will fight against "anti-woke" sentiment to make the anime community a safer place.
Mar 26, 1:02 PM

May 2015
Technically the first anime I ever watched would be Battle of the Planets and Speed Racer back in the early 80's

But I'm going to say Akira and 1992 because that's when I actually started watching anime because it was anime.
Mar 26, 1:04 PM

Mar 2024
I think I started with Ore Monogatari!! when I started getting into anime in early 2020, but I honestly can't remember. My first anime ever was probably when I went to see Spirited Away at a drive-in theater when it came out.
Mar 26, 1:09 PM
Jul 2015
Attack on Titan in 2014. However, i was watching Yugioh Duel Monsters, Pokemon, Digimon and One Piece when it was airing back in the day but i didn't know what anime was.
Mar 26, 1:15 PM

Mar 2021
Pinoffin said:

Technically I have been exposed to Japanese Anime all my life, even when I was a baby since I have partly grew up living in Japan. Most notably before primary school I remember being exposed to stuff like "The Adventures of the Little Prince" on Asahi TV in the early 70s. Though, I mostly remember watching "The Adventures of the Little Prince" on Western TV in the mid 80s on a station called Nickelodeon Along side series like "The Mysterious Cities of Gold".

To be fair, I really didn't start getting interested in Japanese Anime as a medium until my parents took me with them to go see the movie "Project A-Ko" at a local theater in Japan in 1986. Where a short 40 minute Anime called "Departure: Ami, the Last Chapter" played before the main feature.

So If you are excluding kids shows then my 1st Anime was a short film that played before watching the "Project A-ko" movie, revolving around the Character Ami Nonomura linked to what today would be coined as a "Hentai" franchise called "Cream Lemon" since there was really no such thing as "Hentai" when it came to Japanese Anime back in the 80s.
ColourWheelMar 26, 1:27 PM
Mar 26, 1:16 PM

Nov 2019
I have no favourite all anime are trash... still looking.
I am a COMPLETIONIST. Aiming to finish AS MANY ANIME as possible before DEATH, Despite them being SATISFACTORY or if they are BORING.

I WATCH THE LOWEST SCORED/RATED/RANKED ANIMES ON MAL (OR you can CALL THEM The WORST animes in the WORLD - No Joke Like Seriously)

No anime has actually satisfied my anime taste, That I can call a MasterPiece (10/10), still searching... hopefully one day I will find that show and obsess over it till I die.
RULE NO.4 I MUST WATCH ALL CONTENT FOR THE SERIES I HAVE FINISHED, NOW THIS ONE IS QUITE EXHILARATING.
Mar 26, 1:17 PM
Nov 2017
DBZ, Pokemon, but sometimes even DBZ AND Pokemon. But since it was so long ago, I'm not sure, maybe it was just DBZ and Pokemon
Mar 26, 1:21 PM

Dec 2015
In 2005-2006 I can't tell exactly I've seen Pokemon, Yu gi oh, Naruto and Shaman King on Jetix but I thought back than that it were Polish cartoons cause it was fully dubbed.

In around 2007-2008 for the first time knowing that I am watching anime and I was watching it with subs, was Bleach.
Mar 26, 1:32 PM

May 2015
Reply to ColourWheel
Pinoffin said:

Technically I have been exposed to Japanese Anime all my life, even when I was a baby since I have partly grew up living in Japan. Most notably before primary school I remember being exposed to stuff like "The Adventures of the Little Prince" on Asahi TV in the early 70s. Though, I mostly remember watching "The Adventures of the Little Prince" on Western TV in the mid 80s on a station called Nickelodeon Along side series like "The Mysterious Cities of Gold".

To be fair, I really didn't start getting interested in Japanese Anime as a medium until my parents took me with them to go see the movie "Project A-Ko" at a local theater in Japan in 1986. Where a short 40 minute Anime called "Departure: Ami, the Last Chapter" played before the main feature.

So If you are excluding kids shows then my 1st Anime was a short film that played before watching the "Project A-ko" movie, revolving around the Character Ami Nonomura linked to what today would be coined as a "Hentai" franchise called "Cream Lemon" since there was really no such thing as "Hentai" when it came to Japanese Anime back in the 80s.
@ColourWheel I can't believe someone else actually remembers watching Mysterious Cities of Gold. Made my day
Mar 26, 1:33 PM

Oct 2022
My first anime was Naruto, when it comes to the less mainstream one though my first was Sakura-sou no Pet na Kanojo.
When a pancake lover does something: "Outrageous vicious crime"

When a waffle lover does something: "That means it is not illegal"

Quotes - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ld_HIM667Do&t=2822s
Mar 26, 1:38 PM
Walpurgis

May 2023
Lain, last year. I'm still fairly new to anime.
Mar 26, 1:42 PM
Jan 2008
Crayon Shin Chan or Dr.Slump Arare-chan
Dunno which one was first since I was a toddler. 94-95
Mar 26, 2:22 PM

Dec 2020
I watched pokemon and stuff as a kid but i dont really count that. I watched Kill la Kill in 2017, I was 13 then, been watching anime ever since.
Mar 26, 2:48 PM

May 2023
Besides Pokémon as a kid, I started watching anime seriously in 2021 after witnessing the brilliance of Evangelion. Couldn’t be happier with the journey!
Mar 26, 2:50 PM

Aug 2010
The one that started me to watch anime regularly, especially the seasonals, was Kobato in 2009.
Mar 26, 3:23 PM

Jan 2023
Childhood:
- Beyblade: Metal Series
- Yugioh series, most dominantly ZEXAL

Early years:
- Kaichou wa Maid-sama!
- SAO
- Erased
- Toradora

Very casual years:
- AoT
- Horimiya
- MHA

2023-present:
- 86 Eighty-Six
- Skip to Loafer (first seasonal)
- Sora yori mo Tooi Basho

"You win this round. You doggies."
Mar 26, 3:24 PM

Nov 2019
Growing up, I watched a lot of anime on television, mostly kids shows, but the ones I remember watching the most were Initial D, Gundam Seed, Flame of Recca, Slam dunk and Yuyu Hakusho. I remember watching One Piece as a child, but I didn't enjoy the goofiness of the character, so I always switched the channel to other anime that were airing at the time.
KushnaMar 26, 3:35 PM
Mar 26, 3:37 PM

Jan 2017
1st anime I watched in Japanese was the original Macross. When I bought the dvd when it cam out.
Mar 26, 3:44 PM

Apr 2008
I don't really remember specifically but it was when Cartoon Network started airing their Toonami Block of anime in the late 90's. It was probably Sailor Moon when I was 12. This is when I first knew what anime was which was. When i was a child I used to watch Voltron but I was too young to even remember much about it or even know what it was.
SevenMar 26, 3:51 PM
Mar 26, 3:54 PM
Feb 2018
mine was Star Blazers back in 1978. I was in middle school and had no idea "anime" was a thing. Much later I watched Uchuu Senkan Yamato in sub.
Mar 26, 4:34 PM
Feb 2024
bleach, about a year ago. in autumn 2023: made in abyss, one piece. and since i am binging one after another, like catching up
Mar 26, 4:41 PM
Nov 2023
It was either 2018-19. My brother loved anime and I hated it with a passion, because I was like 14 or something and I heard it was cringe. I was (and still am) really into movies and so my brother made a deal that he'd watch my movies if he got to show me anime. I saw Spirited Away and liked it so I agreed (that was technically the first I watched but I consider movies (and Ghibli) to be different). The first one he showed me was Demon Slayer and then he showed me Toradora. The rest was up to me and I hate my brother for what he did to me.
Mar 26, 4:44 PM
Jan 2020
I believe my first was My Neighbor Totoro when it was first released by 20th Century Fox in 1994.
Mar 26, 4:48 PM

Feb 2018

SUPER-DIMENSIONAL FORTRESS MACROSS... by proxy of it's mid-80's US/WORLD Localization, "ROBOTECH"

a Nephew got me started by Happenstance when i was a young boy... giving me this transformable model kit
of the principal poster boy Mecha from the series;

half a dozen years on, - in my middle-teens -
my dad got me this smaller-scale, non-transformable model of the same Mecha, in one of it's three transformation modes;

in 1996, i began to find dual-episode ROBOTECH VHS Cassettes at my local mall's "SUNCOAST VIDEO"

in the same year, i found my very first Anime Magazine at SUNCOAST...
which piqued my interest so hard that it was a one-way road to OTAKUdom for me from thence onward;

Mar 26, 7:04 PM

Feb 2021
Back when Nisekoi was airing, so 2013? My first anime are:
-Nisekoi
-Sword Art Online
-Attack on Titan
-K-On
"Nobody could laugh at someone who's trying their hardest" -Machio-

Mar 26, 7:08 PM

Jan 2021
Sword Art Online in 2012. I remember being so hyped to watch it as I didn't know what to expect. So many good animes were being aired at that time as well.
Mar 26, 7:14 PM
Oct 2019
Kids beyblade around 2000 with digimon.
Real start 2012 with Fmab.
Mar 26, 7:23 PM

Nov 2019
First anime ever? DBZ Kai for sure, when it aired on Nick in the late 2000s - early 2010s (RIP Toriyama, btw)

But the first anime I sat down and watched would have to be That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime when it was still airing in late 2018. Still a great anime today, super excited for season 4!
Mar 26, 7:38 PM

Aug 2020
Dragon Ball in 2014. And then Death Note.

Mar 26, 7:41 PM

Sep 2022
The earliest anime I remember watching was Attack on Titan in spring 2013 when it came out. I was 9 years old at the time.
Mar 26, 8:00 PM
Mar 2024
Yu-Gi-Oh Duel Monsters back in the early 2000s. Then Sonic X, InuYasha, and Death Note.
Mar 26, 8:50 PM
Dec 2022
Would say pokemon but dont want that included

so Id say Inuyashiki, watched it like 8/9 years ago didnt even know it was an anime until recently lmao
First anime I knew was an anime when I started watching was Cowboy Bebop and that got me into anime

Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Why do people complain about "rapey" characters in anime?

Alpha_1_Zero - 9 hours ago

10 by DigiCat »»
3 minutes ago

» Criticism You Don't Understand.

Alpha_1_Zero - 9 hours ago

18 by Ratris_Decision »»
11 minutes ago

» What is your opinion on anime becoming mainstream? ( 1 2 )

BroDa2545 - Apr 16

53 by maya2003s »»
12 minutes ago

» What if all characters, not just main, had infinite mana?

Catalano - 59 minutes ago

1 by romagia »»
13 minutes ago

» Do you drop shows? ( 1 2 )

EverRealm - Apr 23

88 by Atmogenic »»
15 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.