Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 10, 7:29 AM

Nov 2011
There's definitely a good mixture of fantasy, mythology, and even samurai elements mixed into this show/first episode.

Not going to lie, I like the style of the setting taking place in their timeline. Tama is also a fun character to watch for her personality and charisma. Animation quality looks fine and they got plenty of time to adapt the story give its 3-cours running. Not sure how I feel about Shinsuke yet but other character personalities overshadows his imo. Good start overall.
Jan 10, 7:30 AM

May 2020
The last time this author saw an adaptation of one of his works, it was quite literally recommended to be unhealthy for the eyes. Though that being the fault of the studio, and this being this, there’s at least one thing we can be assured about this time… the visuals and animation will hold up well.

Not even a minute, we got the most anime-ish introduction ever, a pair of siblings who might not be blood related but are hunting the bad guys just because they want this world to become a better place? Well, yes lol. Though it can be a good reason once in a while too, I mean that's how they met this new guy too, who for every looked like a wimp but kind of wants to do the same things like them.

I liked how we didn’t waste much time before we saw how one of our mains Jinka could awake as a demon too, and saw him obliterating the main guy of that evil bunch. Though that was quite literally their announcement to the world lol… about the siblings who would fight the evils of the world. Shinsuke himself might not be the unusual like Youko and Jinka, but hey he’s already with them, and I guess is planning to tag with them for a long while.

Though hope he’d not be a deadweight always lol, like he was towards the end when that creepy af demon appeared, who of course Jinka obliterated with ease, or might not lol. That’s for the next episode, thanks to cliffhanger.

This is looking good, visually at least. As for the other things, we have a whole three cours to think, which of course would air split ig. Good sounding OP too(if it was one).
Jan 10, 7:30 AM

Jul 2017
The complete adaptation of famed mangaka Satoshi Mizukami's works thus far...Summer 2018's Planet With was palatable, and Summer 2022's Hoshi no Samadare a.k.a Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer was garbage.

I'm hoping that his 3rd anime adaptation of the 17-volume, 100-chapter long Sengoku Youko is a redemption to grace the anime scene, especially the great return of studio White Fox for 3-cours non-stop (though split-cours in this day and age), a feat not done since Fall 2018's Karakuri Circus.

MindaRyn's OP sounds good and much more elevated, though will have to see the visuals next episode.

Siblings Jinka Sendou and Tama Youko going around defeating bandits, with the travelling ronin of Shinsuke Hyoudou on a warrior's pilgrimage, noticing and following them from behind, only to get coerced into getting them to the Onikabuto Group's bandits' hideout to turn them back to the road of good from evil. As much as Hyoudou is a wimp, he sure tries to get to its leader, which is imbued in a katawara (otherworldly creatures), forcing Jinka to don his spirit body by drinking Tama's blood by spirit transformation. Both Sendou and Youko want to change the world...of its barbaric age, which is quite the goal.

Both Jinka and Tama (with Hyoudou following after them from behind) hearing the commotion of the warrior monk group Dangaisyuu to defeat katawara like the rock monster Shakugan, to hear one of their comrades (Sairen) dead, it brings about a feud of desperation to take it down. And just as it so happens on the next day, the feud between the warrior monks and Jinka for defeating Shakugan, it has to appear where Hyoudou hid, and not even the Daigansyuu can ward off. And this to Hyoudou from Tama, is the warning when it comes to the world of demons, which he can finally find a way to improve himself.

So far, it's looking good, and this could be White Fox's much-needed comeback.
KANLen09Jan 13, 4:31 AM
Jan 10, 8:04 AM
Jul 2023
Fun and thrilling fast pace action packed episode.

Basic world and characters introduction adequately done, certainly looking forward to more characters explorations.

Tama ears flips are so adorable, remind me a lot of Senko.
Jan 10, 8:28 AM

Dec 2021
The man himself, Mizukami Satoshi, the mastermind behind Planet With and the famously horrbile Hoshi no Samidare. Now, he's hitting us with his third best manga, Sengoku Youko!

In this world, you've got two groups: humans and these creatures called katawara. Tama, one of the katawara, has this strong affection for humans and is determined to shield them from any harm, even if it means going against her own kind. On the flip side, her stepbrother Jinka kinda hates humans, even though he's mostly one himself. Their crew also includes Shinsuke, a somewhat timid swordsman, just trying to figure out how to get strong.

If anyone's worried about this turning into a disaster like Hoshi no Samidare, I can happily say it looks way better. The animation might not blow your mind, but it's consistently good with some solid action scenes here and there. So, I'm not stressing about a production meltdown. The story, for now, doesn't stand out much compared to other fantasy tales set in the Sengoku era. Yet, knowing Mizukami's other works, his stories tend to start simple and get emotionally complex. The setup here is pretty solid, so I'm sure it'll get more interesting as it unfolds.

Now that it's official this is a full manga adaptation, I'm telling you, this 3-cour ride is going to be absolutely insane.

Jan 10, 8:38 AM
Sep 2015
The soundtrack of this anime is such a blast!
Jan 10, 9:00 AM
Aug 2020
i was worried for the adaptation but the first episode was good
otakuweek on insta for News /recom etc

just have a look, you won't regret it...
Jan 10, 9:29 AM
Jul 2023
The animation looks so clean
Jan 10, 9:31 AM

Feb 2021
Instantly decided to watch this one when it was announced because it's White Fox + it will be 3 cours and a full adaptation! (37 episodes exactly, the manga has exactly 100 chapters and was published from 2007 to 2016)
Btw 戦国妖狐 (sengoku youko) means "warring states fox spirit" or "fox spirit in/of a country in civil war". Makes sense why they just left it as is lol.

迅火 (jinka) - "swift fire"
"Katawara" is written as 闇 (darkness), but pronounced as かたわら - "beside; nearby"
On Jinka's staff it's written 五行杖 - "five elements staff". 五行 (gogyou) - the five elements (in Chinese philosophy: wood, fire, earth, metal and water); the five phases; wu xing.
断怪衆 (dangaishuu) - "eradicate apparition clique"
灼岩 (shakugan) - "burn boulder"
The animation and art were really good, and the story got me interested. Looking forward to more! I wonder if the 3 cours will be consecutive or split.
Jan 10, 9:38 AM

Jun 2013
That was mostly fine
Jan 10, 9:40 AM

Jul 2017
This is so, so, so much better of a premiere than Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer, so that is a relief. Not a perfect one but still, not too bad of a start and there is real promise for this anime to get better as it progresses with Studio White Fox and the staff involved with this project.
Jan 10, 10:04 AM

Dec 2020
Well that was an interesting episode and also setting seems to be nice.
The animation was really good and yeah and for the samurai shinsuke is this a way to getting stronger.
That fight with this katawara gets hype.
P O S I T I V E V I B E Sシ

Jan 10, 10:31 AM

Jan 2018
White Fox is back, baby!

Ngl, I had never heard of the manga before it was announced that White Fox would be doing the anime. I'm mainly watching this cause I wanna know how Re:ZERO Season 3 will turn out in the future. Because despite the phenomenal story, the animation of Season 2 left a lot to be desired...

And the animation of this episode was incredible! It seems White Fox might truly be back which is very exciting.

Storywise, this reminds me a lot about Inuyasha (especially transformed Jinka) but it's not exactly the same (obviously). I'm not entirely sold yet but the premise seems promising.

It's insane that this will be a full adaptation of the manga and it will run for 3 consecutive cours. That's just unheard of these days. I heard that originally this was supposed to be 2-cour only but the director asked for more episodes to do the manga justice. Somehow, he got the permission to do it.

I don't know what this entails for Re:ZERO since WF is supposed to be working on that series too rn but if it means the animators can go all out with this series first then it's probably a good thing. WF has always been very passionate about every series they worked on so I'll take this as a good sign for now.

The OP song sounds fire. Can't wait for more.
Jan 10, 10:33 AM
Jan 2023
My most anticipated anime of this season. I find Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer (manga ofc) and Spirit Circle to be better than Sengoku Youko but this series is by no means bad, it's great. I can't wait to see everyone animated!
Jan 10, 11:42 AM
Feb 2015
Very good adaptation for a first episode. I hope the rest will stay at this level, as the manga really deserves it.
Jan 10, 11:52 AM

Sep 2018
37 episodes? I think I'll binge it.
Jan 10, 11:57 AM

May 2010
Extremely happy with how this has turned out. Great animation, love the characters, this is my anime of the season, the one I was most hype for
Infinite growth is the ideology of a cancer cell
Jan 10, 12:10 PM
Ero Ojisan

Jun 2019
That was a good first episode although it ended on a cliffhanger. It kind of reminds me of Inuyasha without the time traveling aspect that merges elements from the samurai era with a mythological fantasy setting. Tama and Jinka are on a journey to rid the world of evil and Shinsuke tags along hoping that he will just as strong as them.
Jan 10, 12:41 PM

Mar 2020
Another Satoshi Mizukami manga has gotten an anime adaptation, and after the disaster that was Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer's adaptation, this one looks to be very promising, and Studio White Fox seems to be doing their job well. Overall a really nice premiere showcasing the world, and there was some solid mixture of comedy and action, with interesting characters as well. Some parts lacked polish but the action animation was very solid. One of the best premieres of the season so far in my opinion, and with three consecutive cours planned, there is a lot of potential for this show and I'm looking forward to seeing more.
Jan 10, 12:54 PM
Lilium Gardener

Jul 2011
Great first episode. Right there with Yubiren and Dungeon Meshi as my favourite premieres of the new season. Hopefully, they can keep the animation quality close to this level for the duration of the series. White Fox generally does solid work, so I have a lot of optimism for this series after watching this episode. I wasn't big on Shinsuke's character, but it is only episode one. It isn't like I know a whole lot about him yet. Hopefully, I warm up to him a bit. Everything else was great.
Jan 10, 1:09 PM

Jul 2008
Ok so it feels a little typical and generic, but I like the 2 main characters so far. The cowardly swordsman though....so far very one note.

I'm strapped in for the long ride though, 37 episodes....that's a good number.
Jan 10, 1:22 PM

Nov 2013
My type of show. Think I'm gonna love this. And we're having 37 episodes?! Is this supposed to be full adaptation, I wonder?
Jan 10, 1:38 PM

Feb 2019
I’ll never understand how MAL rates shows after one episode so low. This was an awesome premiere that really sold the characters and the world. Not to mention incredible animation and a banger OST.

Might be from the same author as hoshi no samidare, but this is already 1000x better both in production values and feel so far. White Fox understood the assignment. Perfect mix of comedy, action and mysticism. And getting to explore the Sengoku period is great. We get a lot of Meiji and Taisho stuff lately, but not a lot of Sengoku era Japan.

Felt some Inuyasha vibes from this, not just with the setting but the character interactions too. I like Shinsuke so far and am looking forward to him developing his sword skills. The siblings’ quest to rid the world of evil will be fun to watch.

Also the ED track for this episode is a BANGER. Love when anime premieres give us those film credits at the end. Really sets the tone
Marinate1016Jan 10, 1:47 PM
Jan 10, 1:44 PM
Jan 2023
Sigmar-Unberogen said:
My type of show. Think I'm gonna love this. And we're having 37 episodes?! Is this supposed to be full adaptation, I wonder?

Yes it's a complete adaptation.
Jan 10, 1:50 PM

Nov 2013
Reply to InNeedOfAName
Sigmar-Unberogen said:

Yes it's a complete adaptation.
@InNeedOfAName Thanks. Good to know.
Jan 10, 2:06 PM
Jul 2021
meh so far, not really worth attention but we'll see how it goes.
Jan 10, 2:08 PM

Apr 2022
Reply to Marinate1016
I’ll never understand how MAL rates shows after one episode so low. This was an awesome premiere that really sold the characters and the world. Not to mention incredible animation and a banger OST.

Might be from the same author as hoshi no samidare, but this is already 1000x better both in production values and feel so far. White Fox understood the assignment. Perfect mix of comedy, action and mysticism. And getting to explore the Sengoku period is great. We get a lot of Meiji and Taisho stuff lately, but not a lot of Sengoku era Japan.

Felt some Inuyasha vibes from this, not just with the setting but the character interactions too. I like Shinsuke so far and am looking forward to him developing his sword skills. The siblings’ quest to rid the world of evil will be fun to watch.

Also the ED track for this episode is a BANGER. Love when anime premieres give us those film credits at the end. Really sets the tone
Marinate1016 said:
I’ll never understand how MAL rates shows after one episode so low.

It's just not a very good system, I wish they hid the score until at least the 3rd episode and didn't count the ratings by the people who didn't watch at least those 3
Jan 10, 2:09 PM

Feb 2019
felixsifuri said:
Marinate1016 said:
I’ll never understand how MAL rates shows after one episode so low.

It's just not a very good system, I wish they hid the score until at least the 3rd episode and didn't count the ratings by the people who didn't watch at least those 3

It’s so biased towards shows that have massive fanbases of their source material too. Like solo levelling debuting with an 8.55 is hilarious
Jan 10, 2:51 PM
Jul 2015
It was quite OK except for the heavy-handed info dumping, the tryhard flashy fight scenes and weird power-up mechanics (in ep1 no less). It might get better ... or become a complete pain to watch.
Jan 10, 3:02 PM

Sep 2018
I enjoyed that way more than I'd expected to.

Quantum ille canis est in fenestra
Jan 10, 3:03 PM

May 2023
Made by studio white fox and features a character who turns into a white fox. This was always the plan.
Jan 10, 3:21 PM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
This not breaking the 7.00 barrier currently is fucked up comedic shit.
Jan 10, 3:56 PM

Jul 2021
Smudy said:
This not breaking the 7.00 barrier currently is fucked up comedic shit.

MAL scores are usually wack, but they've been way out of order this season even by their standards
Jan 10, 3:58 PM

Nov 2020
It was really good. It was even better than I expected. I hope the anime onlies can tough it out and have some hope. As it begins to build the foundation of the story, the first cour will likely filter out a lot of people and have a high drop rate, but the following cours will make up for that and build an exceptional story off of it. I have a lot of hope.
Jan 10, 4:12 PM
May 2022
Solid. Way better than the score would suggest. Some fairly classic battle shounen stuff and I’m here for it. Was looking forward to this and I’m glad it delivered because I dig it so far.
Jan 10, 5:07 PM
Aug 2019
With 37 episodes I think this is going to have a very interesting story for all those who wait it out and dont quit on episode 1..

And knowing Wit Studio, I'm definitely here for the ride..
Jan 10, 5:35 PM

Apr 2019
why is the score a 6? not enough votes yet? wonky tbh
Jan 10, 5:48 PM

Apr 2022
for some reason this feels like a show that would've come out 20 years ago only available in 720p (maybe because of the kenshin vibes), but the manga is surprisingly newer and white fox cooked with the animation. i like the osts as well but not really a fan of the character designs. score seems valid for now, gonna be a long watch so let's see if i stick around to the end.
Jan 10, 5:52 PM
Jan 2023
Imi_wakannai said:
With 37 episodes I think this is going to have a very interesting story for all those who wait it out and dont quit on episode 1..

And knowing Wit Studio, I'm definitely here for the ride..

It's White Fox, not WIT Studio.
Jan 10, 6:02 PM
Nov 2023
A quality introduction to a great world full of interesting characters, can’t find anything to complain about. Tama is a feisty version of Senko san, Jinka is posessed by the owari neko and becomes Black Hanekawa. Sadly he lacks the chest for the job…
But joking aside, I love the setting and mythology. This should be epic, especially with a Minda Ryn ED. I hope she does some insert music too like she did for Raeliana.
Jan 10, 6:24 PM
Pirate King
Feb 2021
Really enjoyed the first episode. Hopefully it keeps up throughout the season 😊
Jan 10, 6:24 PM
Jul 2020
What the fuck why is the score so low?

I went expecting something mid and found what’s certainly the hidden gem of the season.

I am, in fact, pleased.
Jan 10, 6:29 PM

Sep 2011
Decent first episode although the lack of an intro was really jarring. A much better start then Biscuit Hammer at least
Jan 10, 7:32 PM

Oct 2016
I knew almost nothing about this anime going in, but the first episode was somewhat intriguing. With the time period and with Jinka’s white haired form, I am getting some Inuyasha vibes. I wasn’t the biggest fan of that series, but I can’t help but feeling a little bit nostalgic. I can’t wait to find out more about these character’s motivations. Jinka’s hatred for humans is funny, but I also want to know where it came from. Why does Tama want to protect humans? Why are these 2 with seemingly opposite goals working together? (6.5/10)
Jan 10, 7:35 PM
Aug 2019
InNeedOfAName said:
Imi_wakannai said:

And knowing White fox, I'm definitely here for the ride..

It's White Fox, not WIT Studio.

damnit i was looking at a wit studio poster while I typed this lol I'll edit
Jan 10, 7:39 PM

Mar 2016
Well I'm totally blind on this one and gotta say I enjoyed it, I'm familiar with how Satoshi Mizukami starts its stories and I can see it in this first episode. I'm totally in for this ride!
No tomo malas decisiones, solo me gusta apoyar causas perdidas.
Disfruté Mayoiga, Ou-sama Game, Evil or Live, Mirai Nikki, Big Order, Arifureta, Ex-Arm, Tesla Note, Shuumatsu no Harem y Platinum End
nope les falle con esa, lo siento pero todos tenemos nuestros límites.
Así de jodido es mi gusto en anime, ¡Y estoy pinche orgulloso de ello!

Jan 10, 8:30 PM
Jul 2021
The animation quality and charming characters were pleasantly surprising! I’m hoping for more fight choreography as we go along here but I’m excited to see where this show goes.
Jan 10, 9:24 PM
Nov 2022
Reply to KANLen09
The complete adaptation of famed mangaka Satoshi Mizukami's works thus far...Summer 2018's Planet With was palatable, and Summer 2022's Hoshi no Samadare a.k.a Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer was garbage.

I'm hoping that his 3rd anime adaptation of the 17-volume, 100-chapter long Sengoku Youko is a redemption to grace the anime scene, especially the great return of studio White Fox for 3-cours non-stop (though split-cours in this day and age), a feat not done since Fall 2018's Karakuri Circus.

MindaRyn's OP sounds good and much more elevated, though will have to see the visuals next episode.

Siblings Jinka Sendou and Tama Youko going around defeating bandits, with the travelling ronin of Shinsuke Hyoudou on a warrior's pilgrimage, noticing and following them from behind, only to get coerced into getting them to the Onikabuto Group's bandits' hideout to turn them back to the road of good from evil. As much as Hyoudou is a wimp, he sure tries to get to its leader, which is imbued in a katawara (otherworldly creatures), forcing Jinka to don his spirit body by drinking Tama's blood by spirit transformation. Both Sendou and Youko want to change the world...of its barbaric age, which is quite the goal.

Both Jinka and Tama (with Hyoudou following after them from behind) hearing the commotion of the warrior monk group Dangaisyuu to defeat katawara like the rock monster Shakugan, to hear one of their comrades (Sairen) dead, it brings about a feud of desperation to take it down. And just as it so happens on the next day, the feud between the warrior monks and Jinka for defeating Shakugan, it has to appear where Hyoudou hid, and not even the Daigansyuu can ward off. And this to Hyoudou from Tama, is the warning when it comes to the world of demons, which he can finally find a way to improve himself.

So far, it's looking good, and this could be White Fox's much-needed comeback.
@KANLen09 JOJO PART 5 came with 3 consecutive cour in 2018 fall
Jan 10, 9:40 PM

Dec 2015
One of my fav manga from Satoshi, first ep looked really good and im glad that it didn't turned out just like Biscuit Hammer
Jan 11, 4:12 AM

Aug 2013
The MC is fantasizing, in a daze dozing off in the middle of a battlefield. He is lucky his lack of experience didn't make him end up dead in the first episode.

It seems the MC might have some power, but is lacking in experience. Maybe he'll gain some true colors and show those eventually. Depending on how the MC develops this could be a decent watch.

The transformation scene was very nice.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sengoku Youko: Yonaoshi Kyoudai-hen Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

KANLen09 - Apr 3

65 by Sugram22 »»
Yesterday, 11:09 PM

Poll: » Sengoku Youko Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 21

81 by TechOtaku »»
May 7, 6:27 PM

Poll: » Sengoku Youko Episode 3 Discussion

Stark700 - Jan 24

41 by RGreatDanton »»
Apr 13, 4:23 PM

Poll: » Sengoku Youko Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jan 17

59 by RGreatDanton »»
Apr 13, 4:04 PM

Poll: » Sengoku Youko: Yonaoshi Kyoudai-hen Episode 12 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 27

41 by metatron13 »»
Apr 7, 6:18 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.