Forum Settings
Forums
New
Oct 10, 2023 5:11 PM

May 2015
Well looks like Crunchyroll settled their class action lawsuit and all subscribers are entitled to a whopping $30. The form will probably be in your spam/junk folder. Couldn't have happened tona shittier company
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Oct 10, 2023 5:31 PM

Mar 2019
Poor crunchyroll...

Oct 10, 2023 5:45 PM

Sep 2018
I wish other companies got the same treatment for selling info.
Oct 10, 2023 5:49 PM
Oct 2023
You know... I really liked Crunchyroll once upon a time... but they chased me away and now I'm watching anime that doesn't load without a trillion pop-up windows and even when it does... I've heard the occasional rumor it's not 100% legal. But it's the only place I got since I can't pay. My friend was letting me use his Crunchyroll account and Crunchyroll was a real nice place to go to watch anime... until it wasn't. Now I'm just getting by.
Oct 10, 2023 5:56 PM
Oct 2023
@billybub $30 doesn't sound like much... They probably can't do much more considering the number of people they would have to pay, but at least in my opinion, it feels like in a weird way Crunchyroll is getting the better end of the deal here. Had it been something closer to $1,000... that would send a stronger "I'm sorry" message instead of "f you we were forced to so here's a couple nickels and be happy you're getting that much".
Oct 10, 2023 5:59 PM

Apr 2015
$30? Pathetic excuse of an apology from the billion dollar company. Can't wait to see how the local CR shills will make an excuse for this shit.
"Well, she's flatter than a pancake"
-Mimi Alpacas
"Woof"
-Tobiichi Origami 
"Are you trying to turn the dormitory into a strip club!?!
-Atena Saotome 
Oct 10, 2023 6:00 PM

May 2015
Reply to Tropisch
$30? Pathetic excuse of an apology from the billion dollar company. Can't wait to see how the local CR shills will make an excuse for this shit.
@Tropisch oh I'm waiting for one in particular to chime in lol
Oct 10, 2023 6:01 PM

Oct 2018
30 dollars is almost a whole month of salary in my country

Please Cranchyroll, leak my info and then give me 30 dollars
If you're a fanboy, please don't waste my time.

Watch more movies, please.

Kafka, Fu Xuan, Jingliu, Topaz and Huohuo.
Oct 10, 2023 6:06 PM

Feb 2014
@billybub Damn. Only $30. What a cheapskate...
Oct 10, 2023 6:11 PM

Jan 2023
First time I've heard this lawsuit, all I can say is yikes.
Oct 10, 2023 6:21 PM

Jan 2021
I'm just waiting for my email to some in so I can take some of CR's money.

Oct 10, 2023 6:21 PM
Twintail Expert

Feb 2019
technically not entitled to $30 exactly, you're entitled to your share of the settlement fund, which could be more or less than $30

approximately $30 for my information being sold seems like a fair trade right? right? not the first time sony has been in hot water for something like this either
Oct 10, 2023 6:27 PM

Dec 2021
So I was subscribed to Crunchyroll for 2 months, which means I get to come out ahead financially! I haven't seen any pirate sites pay me money to use their services. And people say Crunchyroll is a rip off...
Oct 10, 2023 6:35 PM

Feb 2021
@billybub Damn I'm no american so how much can $30 get you over there?

It's time to turn on the vpn and watch anime legally on youtube.
"Nobody could laugh at someone who's trying their hardest" -Machio-

Oct 10, 2023 6:38 PM
Oct 2023
Reply to Yuu_Kanzaki

@Yuu_Kanzaki If you're paying for a YouTube membership account to get all the bells and whistles. Which some of us can't do.
Oct 10, 2023 6:44 PM

Feb 2021
Reply to SailorFairyDxD24
@Yuu_Kanzaki If you're paying for a YouTube membership account to get all the bells and whistles. Which some of us can't do.
@SailorFairyDxD24 Not really, unless it's a very popular anime. Ani-one airs great anime for free as well as muse channels and only a few titles are behind premium membership.
"Nobody could laugh at someone who's trying their hardest" -Machio-

Oct 10, 2023 6:44 PM

May 2015
Reply to Yuu_Kanzaki

@Yuu_Kanzaki $30 will get you a 12pk of Corona and a pack of cigarettes. Or 6 gallons of gas, or about 3 things at the grocery store. Needless to day $30 doesn't get you jack shit anymore lol
Oct 10, 2023 6:56 PM

Oct 2017
Reply to rohan121
I wish other companies got the same treatment for selling info.
@rohan121

Nah, this is a slap on the wrist. They are facing 0 real consequences. If an individual did this they would be fucked for life but corporations get away with crimes with very minimal consequence at all
This post is brought to you by your local transfem gamer goblin. Will not tolerate bigotry and will fight against "anti-woke" sentiment to make the anime community a safer place.
Oct 10, 2023 6:57 PM
Oct 2023
Reply to Yuu_Kanzaki
@SailorFairyDxD24 Not really, unless it's a very popular anime. Ani-one airs great anime for free as well as muse channels and only a few titles are behind premium membership.
@Yuu_Kanzaki Yeah I'll be stuck at AniWave for the indefinite future
Oct 10, 2023 7:43 PM

Feb 2023
They should shut it all down. Crunchyroll subtitles and censorship are terrible and the working conditions are even worse. The people in charge of Sony have openly admitted to hating anime, which is why they made Crunchyroll even worse than it was before. Crunchyroll is the new 4kids.
Oct 10, 2023 7:56 PM

Oct 2021
Reply to Tropisch
@Tropisch Oh I'm definitely waiting for a pathetic excuse from a specific user.
BadonkersOct 11, 2023 12:24 AM
Oct 10, 2023 8:09 PM

Jan 2009
30 dollars is 1700 pesos here and that is worth 4 days of minimum wage
Oct 10, 2023 8:20 PM

Dec 2020
damn i didnt get any emailed form at all despite paying for a subscription. 30 dollars is insane i cant believe its so little. this is such a joke 😭
Oct 10, 2023 8:30 PM

Jul 2022
Already filed my claim, now to figure out how I'm going to spend my $30...maybe on a few months of Crunchyroll?
Oct 10, 2023 8:30 PM
May 2012
Companies often sell user information for marketing purposes (surveys) but they must declare this in the acceptance of the clauses during registration. Which no one ever reads or really care about. It is illegal doing it without permission but there are weird exception for example in data breaches. Sorry we got hacked and all your private info stolen my bad, no consequences for me. Offers the possibility of someone pretending to be hacked especially when the company is in crisis and about to close. I don't understand how today people feel offended by data theft or poor privacy, it's something that's practically constant and the longer it goes on the worse it gets. This is how present and future technology works. If you want privacy you must drop out of any service. Crunchyroll was just stupid but not worse than the others. I wonder if people with multi accounts are now selling them half the compensation price.
Oct 10, 2023 8:36 PM

Oct 2019
it's actually fucked up.

one of the most major appeals of getting official streaming services or pirating should be the safety, if they can't even get that right, How can they expect anyone who isn't doing it out of the goodness of their hearts to not pirate?

Also available at:
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Second Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@AshPolygonsDo/videos
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
A Love Letter To Anime「AMV」: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
Oct 10, 2023 8:44 PM

Oct 2013
Glad I'm piss poor so i never have to beg 30$ from weeb trap.
Oct 10, 2023 10:45 PM

Feb 2020
Never heard of this one before, but oh well. I don't really care about Crunchyroll anyway.
Oct 10, 2023 10:49 PM

Jul 2021
Is it just in the US? Not other countries?
Oct 10, 2023 10:56 PM

Oct 2013
Reply to Hikinekomori
Companies often sell user information for marketing purposes (surveys) but they must declare this in the acceptance of the clauses during registration. Which no one ever reads or really care about. It is illegal doing it without permission but there are weird exception for example in data breaches. Sorry we got hacked and all your private info stolen my bad, no consequences for me. Offers the possibility of someone pretending to be hacked especially when the company is in crisis and about to close. I don't understand how today people feel offended by data theft or poor privacy, it's something that's practically constant and the longer it goes on the worse it gets. This is how present and future technology works. If you want privacy you must drop out of any service. Crunchyroll was just stupid but not worse than the others. I wonder if people with multi accounts are now selling them half the compensation price.
@Hikinekomori This guy gets it. I know anime fans hate Crunchyroll with a passion, but there's worst companies out there. If someone did a list of shittiest companies, they probably wouldn't even be in the top 50. Probably not even top 100.
Oct 11, 2023 1:17 AM

Sep 2018
The US legal system people. $16m, they lawyers will get 13m of that.
It should be 4 figures per user.

I bet they made more than 16m selling the info. Make the decision to yaaar a sensible one, you details are not sold and you don't support a shitty company.
Oct 11, 2023 10:18 AM
Twintail Expert

Feb 2019
Reply to FanofAction
@Hikinekomori This guy gets it. I know anime fans hate Crunchyroll with a passion, but there's worst companies out there. If someone did a list of shittiest companies, they probably wouldn't even be in the top 50. Probably not even top 100.
@FanofAction You should hate when every company does it, not excuse one because they aren't the worst offender.
Oct 11, 2023 10:25 AM

Oct 2013
Reply to _FRB_
@FanofAction You should hate when every company does it, not excuse one because they aren't the worst offender.
@_FRB_ I'm not excusing it, but pointing out other companies have done similar things. Singling out one company realistically won't solve anything.
Oct 11, 2023 10:29 AM

May 2015
Reply to FanofAction
@FanofAction I'm sure they wouldn't, but considering this is an anime site and they are an anime streaming service singling them out seems very reasonable
Oct 11, 2023 10:34 AM

Oct 2013
Reply to billybub
@FanofAction I'm sure they wouldn't, but considering this is an anime site and they are an anime streaming service singling them out seems very reasonable
@billybub In the context of this site, being an anime forum and all, sure. It makes a lot of sense. As far as what the lawsuit was about, there's no sure fire way to avoid that without literally not using any device or online site/service, which no ones going to do.
Oct 11, 2023 10:35 AM

Apr 2012
@billybub Were Crunchyroll unironically selling out their user base? To whom? For what?
Oct 11, 2023 10:50 AM

May 2015
Reply to FanofAction
@billybub In the context of this site, being an anime forum and all, sure. It makes a lot of sense. As far as what the lawsuit was about, there's no sure fire way to avoid that without literally not using any device or online site/service, which no ones going to do.
@FanofAction I look at it this way, if my info gets sold because I was using a pirate site or not being careful that shits on me. However if I pay for a service I expect my info to not be sold unless their terms say otherwise.
Oct 11, 2023 10:52 AM

May 2015
Reply to RobertBobert
@billybub Were Crunchyroll unironically selling out their user base? To whom? For what?
@RobertBobert yes. Got caught selling their users info to Facebook and a host of other sites. Got sued and settled for 13 million
Oct 11, 2023 11:01 AM

Apr 2012
Reply to billybub
@RobertBobert yes. Got caught selling their users info to Facebook and a host of other sites. Got sued and settled for 13 million
@billybub Wait. This is an outright crime.
Oct 11, 2023 11:02 AM

Oct 2013
Reply to billybub
@FanofAction I look at it this way, if my info gets sold because I was using a pirate site or not being careful that shits on me. However if I pay for a service I expect my info to not be sold unless their terms say otherwise.
@billybub Fair. Personally I think it's safer to assume any site can potentially use your info even if it isn't plainly spelled out that they'll do so. Just in general, that makes more sense to me. Especially since a lot of people never bother reading the terms in the first place.
Oct 11, 2023 11:11 AM

May 2015
Reply to RobertBobert
@billybub Wait. This is an outright crime.
@RobertBobert ANN has an article up with a link to the court case/documents if you're interested in reading it
Oct 11, 2023 11:14 AM

Apr 2012
Reply to billybub
@RobertBobert ANN has an article up with a link to the court case/documents if you're interested in reading it
@billybub I don’t really like ANN due to personal subjective reasons, but I understand that this is only my problem.
Oct 11, 2023 11:20 AM

May 2015
Reply to RobertBobert
@billybub I don’t really like ANN due to personal subjective reasons, but I understand that this is only my problem.
@RobertBobert fair, honestly you can just Google Crunchyroll lawsuit and you can find the court case documents.
Oct 11, 2023 11:22 AM

Oct 2013
I haven't heard about it. Interesting. So eligible users from the US can submit a claim and get up to $30 of compensation. Nice.
Oct 11, 2023 11:42 AM

Jul 2015
As soon as I thought CR cannot get any more morally bankrupt, here they come with surprise.
At this point it is more virtuous to actually pirat anime instead of giving them $

Oct 11, 2023 12:10 PM

Feb 2021
The rent in the minds of MAL users, is truly something that I wasn't expecting...

ForgotEyeWasHere said:
The people in charge of Sony have openly admitted to hating anime, which is why they made Crunchyroll even worse than it was before. Crunchyroll is the new 4kids.
You know Sony hates anime when they produce garbage like Kill La Kill and Kaguya-sama...

Badonkers said:
@Tropisch Oh I'm definitely waiting for a pathetic excuse from a specific user.
This is why bilibili is better.
Oct 11, 2023 12:30 PM

Oct 2022
Me when Crunchyroll does something ethically bad...
When a pancake lover does something: "Outrageous vicious crime"

When a waffle lover does something: "That means it is not illegal"

Quotes - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ld_HIM667Do&t=2822s
Oct 11, 2023 12:43 PM

Feb 2021
Simply download like me and have no worries about it.
Oct 13, 2023 2:12 AM

Jul 2013
Soyny, Crummyroll, the goldfish poop gang, whatever can take those several dozens of that mediocre currency and shove it up their asses.

Compensate with silver coins next time you cheapskate bastards. Dollars mean shit to us, they are turning into obsolete Roman currency and like our Roman predecessors, we prefer to hoard pieces of the precious metal instead.

Cheapass, half-assed tech giant manufacturing flimsy remote controls and hustling otaku incessantly.

Good thing I've been studying Japanese for four months so that I'll be able to purchase anime and manga directly from Japan. Soyny or the goldfish poop gang can go straight to hell.

Learning Japanese all summer long sure beats reading plagiarized and woke subtitles on Crummyroll. Assholes they call staff of that has-been social media site speak mediocre Japanese. Taking ten to 100 times longer compared to me to master the language like they are actually retarded and I feel sorry for those original Naruto fansub groups that got their subs stolen by those corporate copycats.

Another thing that the goldfish poop gang can shove straight up their asses is HSG. Labeled that trash as anime like the pedophilic tech giant called Netflix did with their trash toons. Doesn't even have the etiquette or artistic prowess needed to be anime.
Oct 13, 2023 9:46 AM

Nov 2011
i wonder how many of people complaining about the tiny payout from the lawsuit actually even use the CR streaming service in the first place...
to be clear, I'm not defending Crunchyroll. but it seems odd to be upset over something that doesn't affect you in the slightest.
You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
Show your support to your favorite artist if you can!
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

For those who want to learn Japanese through anime
Resources for learning the language
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Don't you find the obsession with fictional characters in the anime community alarming? ( 1 2 )

tappioca - Yesterday

84 by SwordBreaker36 »»
1 minute ago

» List of anime to watch with friends

collarbone_cry - 2 hours ago

15 by Rhae »»
2 minutes ago

» Underrated character designs/outfits you think are appealing / sexy

IpreferEcchi - Apr 26

26 by Kaikaidou »»
3 minutes ago

» Any idea for my 2000th anime?

BenjaminJunior - Yesterday

7 by BenjaminJunior »»
4 minutes ago

» Do you guys pretend to hate anime?

APolygons2 - 9 hours ago

33 by FanofAction »»
10 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.