Forum Settings
Forums

Would you watch an anime telling the life story of Jesus Christ?

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Aug 24, 2023 3:31 PM

Jan 2022
Yes. A serious one, and a Steel Ball Run adaptation.
Aug 24, 2023 3:54 PM

Oct 2013
Only if they made it the most anime ass anime ever. Just toss as much over exaggerated anime nonsense in there as possible. I want it to make the Family Guy and South Park Jesus parodies to look like tame baby shit. And I'm not saying this just as someone who isn't really religious, I'm saying this because if they really did do such a thing, I think they should go balls to the wall with it. I don't think a one to one retelling would be that interesting in anime form. If I wanted that, I can get it elsewhere.
Aug 24, 2023 3:56 PM

Mar 2021
sure, why not.  regardless of your feelings on religion, you can't deny that the bible has some pretty interesting stories in it
Aug 25, 2023 12:29 AM

Mar 2023
As a chrstian, having that would be really interesting. Most movies with real actors can't truly get everything right likeJesus on the cross and His miracles. An anime could anime it very good.
e
Aug 26, 2023 12:34 PM
May 2017
We need Martin Scorsese to direct an anime about Jesus Christ.
Mene, mene, tekel, parsin
Aug 26, 2023 1:07 PM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
So basically like King of Egypt but with J.C? Meh possibly but I don't know if anime would actually do that.
Mar 17, 12:12 PM
Dec 2018
I would totally. The bible is practically a play by play for an anime adaptation. It's full of nothing but truly epic stories, mythos, monsters, demons, angles, magic, murder, war, mayhem, heros and prophets and not to mention tropes... I mean need I continue? It would probably be right on par with Castlevania to be honest. If it was done in the art style of an anime like that, then yes I would watch it. It would be an amazing production and would guarantee at least a 3 season contract right off the bat.

How about this?

Premise:

An isekai in which Jesus is an a**hole in his first life and thus is reincarnated in our world with the divine command of being the “hero”, which just means no magic and no awesome life, all he has is knowledge from the previous life and he is a God's sacrificial pawn. So he uses parlor tricks to gain followership. And is forced to live out a prophetic life of servitude as a divine pawn by an echelon of warring gods all the while being raised, abused and brainwashed by a group of tribal Jews and tactless kings as a popper.
KillerpadMar 17, 12:51 PM
Mar 17, 12:20 PM

Sep 2016
Sure thing, sounds like a must watch even though I'm agnostic.

Maybe @Kazu-chan-san would watch it too.
ZarutakuMar 17, 2:24 PM
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Mar 17, 12:25 PM

Mar 2021
A modern Anime story about Jesus would likely be boring as fuck in my opinion. That's if it tries to be true to it's source material.

The story of Osiris, who was killed and resurrected by his wife Isis came before the Jesus story. The story of Dionysus, who was born of a virgin, performed miracles, and was also associated with resurrection came before the telling of Jesus Christ. The story of Attis, who was also born of a virgin, died, and was resurrected came before the telling to Jesus. There is even the story of Krishna, who shares some similarities with Jesus, including miraculous birth and deeds. etc.. etc.. etc..

The more one reads on ancient mythology the more the bible seems more like a plagiarized clone of stories that came before it.

Plus the bible only tells what happened to Jesus right when he was born then suddenly jumps to when the dude is in his 30s. It might be more interesting to watch an Anime if it tells the untold life story of Jesus between the years that aren't explored in the bible. Maybe Jesus lead an extreme life of debauchery before his 30s. Who knows... if the guy really even existed at all.
ColourWheelMar 17, 4:48 PM
Mar 17, 12:30 PM

Jan 2024
Yeah, but only if they do it in a JoJo / Battle shonen / seinen / Action spin. It would be pretty badass and would make a lot of people seethe.
Mar 17, 12:30 PM

Nov 2021
Nah, picturing Jesus is actually a sin. No idolatry.
Taiga best girl forever.
Mar 17, 12:34 PM
Nov 2020
We already have that it's called Neon Genesis Evangelion also we might get an adaptation of Steel Ball Run pretty soon so I think we have enough Jesus life stories
Mar 17, 12:38 PM

Mar 2023
We already have a bunch of them. They are called isekai.
Mar 17, 12:55 PM

Sep 2021
I don't know source of that picture or who it is... but that's the most wholesome, pure and carefree I've ever seen Jesus depicted. It makes me very curious to see a non-conventional anime of His life story
~ Those who look with clouded eyes see nothing but shadows ~
Mar 17, 1:07 PM

Mar 2021
Reply to Fyrebirdi
I don't know source of that picture or who it is... but that's the most wholesome, pure and carefree I've ever seen Jesus depicted. It makes me very curious to see a non-conventional anime of His life story
@Fyrebirdi

Ironically most Western physical perceptions of Jesus Christ are deceptive at best since the bible never gave any physical description other than a man with long hair, a beard, and at one point in the bible a mention of Jesus with dark feet (burnished bronze). So Jesus would look far from some Caucasian white man. Jesus likely looked more like a Galilean Semite with extremely dark skin.
ColourWheelMar 17, 1:15 PM
Mar 17, 1:32 PM

Jun 2020
I'd love to watch an anime of Christ, as long as it's done respectfully and it's not satirical.

Mar 17, 1:54 PM

Dec 2017
No, I'm an atheist and dislike all religions a lot.
私が見たのが、ブギーポップだったのかどうかは分からない。
Mar 17, 1:56 PM

Jul 2014
I'm an atheist, but the story of Jesus is an undeniably great one that still influences some of my own values to this day. I feel like if an anime really does him, his journey and his teachings justice it could be spectacular.
Take care of yourself

Mar 17, 4:40 PM

Oct 2014
I'm an atheist yet Maria-sama ga Miteru is my #1 :) Thankfully that show doesn't get in your face on the religion aspect (rosaries, a Virgin Mary statue and a nun sighting notwithstanding). It's all quite innocuous. Instead, it just feels religious in the healingly pure way that these platonic female romantic friendships get presented. When some of these characters hug after a resolving a misunderstanding it's like a religious experience (even if it wasn't). Don't know how else to describe it.

Getting to the OP, my parents (mostly my Dad) was RC and all through childhood my brothers and I went to church and through the Catholic school system (up to Gr. 9) so I don't particularly need any more of it :) I might watch it (a Jesus anime) out of curiosity just to see what an anime treatment would look like. Hopefully it'd be respectful, educational but not boring. It'd also have to be something abridged, like 1 cour, 2 tops.

Not having any knowledge of JoJo I had to Google what that Steel Balls arc was all about. I guess the religious aspect was about collecting those Holy Corpse parts or something.
8oomerMar 17, 4:46 PM
Avatar: Anzu Kadotani from Girls und Panzer.

Mar 17, 4:46 PM

Aug 2021
It would be cool, but I'd rather see an anime version of Jesus Christ Vampire Hunter.

Mar 17, 4:48 PM

Apr 2012
Does this anime look like it's going to correctly portray him as a radical revolutionary? And give him dark skin?
Mar 17, 6:08 PM

Aug 2019
I'm not opposed to it, but it'd depend on how the anime goes about it. I think "The Prince of Egypt" movie is great and it would be a good example of how to adapt a religious text without being too preachy.
Mar 18, 8:10 AM

Dec 2017
Reply to logopolis
Does this anime look like it's going to correctly portray him as a radical revolutionary? And give him dark skin?
@logopolis
You're right. Jesus wasn't a blue-eyed, brown/blond-haired, fair-skinned dude.
私が見たのが、ブギーポップだったのかどうかは分からない。
Mar 18, 8:13 AM

Aug 2012
From a religious point of view, no.
From a personal point of view, it depends. If the anime is like The Prince of Egypt, of course. If it's like Yasuke or a battle shounen, a resounding NO.
Mar 18, 8:33 AM
Dec 2023
Not sure if this counts, but there's a pretty entertaining comedy Manga and anime that may be related: Saint Young Men:
(https://myanimelist.net/anime/15771/Saint%E2%98%86Oniisan_Movie?q=saint%20young%20men&cat=anime; https://myanimelist.net/manga/8947/Saint%E2%98%86Oniisan)

Reading the Manga now and pretty entertained.
Mar 18, 8:37 AM

May 2022
Just to piss off the religious bigots.
Mar 26, 9:56 PM
Jul 2012
As long as it's based on "Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal", I'm all for it.
Mar 26, 10:27 PM

Jul 2021
don't we already have some bible anime?

Mar 26, 10:33 PM

Apr 2010
Would I watch it? Yes.
Would I necessarily enjoy it? That's one of the biggest "it depends" scenarios I can imagine, there's too many possible ways to fuck it all up.

On an unrelated note, I'm still secretly waiting for that RomanByzantine Empire anime after watching that one opening all those years ago.
iThinkMar 26, 10:39 PM
Mar 27, 12:16 AM

Nov 2019
As long as there isn't anything regarding to John Lennon and The Beatles, there won't be an anime about Jesus. They're more famous than him now.

SgtBateManMar 27, 3:07 AM
Help! I need somebody. Help! Not just anybody. Help! You know I need someone. Helpppppp!

Mar 27, 12:20 AM

Aug 2012
If it was well made and was interesting and just treat it as any other mythology. Probably, yeah.
If it was just religious propaganda, then nope.
Mar 27, 12:53 AM

Oct 2013
It'd be interesting to see an anime done in a realistic art style, telling the story of Jesus Christ in a faithful way. I wouldn't mind some additions, to simply make the anime more entertaining for a wider audience, though said changes would have to be done with respect and without having any elements that would go against the story known from the Bible. Due to the character of this story, I think a movie or several movies would do the work. A single movie could be focused on the Passion, with many flashbacks about Jesus life before the Last Supper, implemented into the main storyline.

What's more, it would be somewhat funny, though upsetting as well, to see many "typical weebs" raging over it. Sadly, many of so-called weebs usually do this each time someone even mentions Christianity, no matter the context. At least that's what I noticed over the course of years.
AdnashMar 27, 1:10 AM
Mar 27, 12:55 AM

Oct 2013
Reply to mo_lave
Yes. A serious one, and a Steel Ball Run adaptation.
@mo_lave Do you mean something like a canon story and non-canon sequel anime series? ;) Not to spoil anything, I will only say that Stell Ball Run fans surely know what we are talking about, haha.
Mar 27, 4:04 AM
Call me Oniichan

Jan 2007
Yes. I love fictional stories so I would love to see an anime recreation of Jesus' story based on the Bible.
Mar 27, 4:09 AM

Aug 2020
Yes why not. It would be interesting imo

Mar 27, 12:48 PM

Nov 2017
İt would be boring tbh.

Jesus dont get angry me pls.
Mar 27, 1:40 PM

Jan 2022
Reply to Adnash
@mo_lave Do you mean something like a canon story and non-canon sequel anime series? ;) Not to spoil anything, I will only say that Stell Ball Run fans surely know what we are talking about, haha.
@Adnash No. Two separate series with no connection to one another.
Mar 27, 1:42 PM

Dec 2022
Probably, if just for the novelty of it.

Shaded Horizon

Mar 27, 2:19 PM

Oct 2019
Religion has some really interesting and well thought out tales.

You don't have to even believe them to learn from their lessons, or finds their twists and turns or development interesting.

There is a reason so many games and series take inspiration directly from religion.

I mean have you not seen The Prince of Egypt? if an anime based on bible is even close to as good as that, it's a W in my book.
Also available at:
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
An AMV I that I spend way too much time on:
A Love Letter To Anime「AMV」: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
Mar 27, 5:55 PM

Feb 2016
Reply to APolygons2
Religion has some really interesting and well thought out tales.

You don't have to even believe them to learn from their lessons, or finds their twists and turns or development interesting.

There is a reason so many games and series take inspiration directly from religion.

I mean have you not seen The Prince of Egypt? if an anime based on bible is even close to as good as that, it's a W in my book.
APolygons2 said:

I remember watching that movie in theaters back when I was too young to understand it.
その目だれの目?
Mar 28, 6:25 AM

Feb 2024
Well, I'm an atheist, but I would watch it for sure.
Mar 28, 6:28 AM

Oct 2021
Only if it were a mecha genre anime.

Jesus in space.
Mar 28, 6:38 AM

Oct 2013
Reply to mo_lave
@Adnash No. Two separate series with no connection to one another.
@mo_lave It could work like this as well. It'd be even better, because the hypothetical Steel Ball Run anime could be faithful to the source material, instead of having to have anime original elements directly connecting it to the hypothetical anime about Jesus.
Mar 28, 6:40 AM
Jul 2018
even if i don't know that much about him, i would def give it a try! it would be interesting :D
Mar 28, 12:15 PM

Feb 2014
As long as it's not longer that 2 cours.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Best Trap Character in Anime?

GoatPieceLuffy - 1 hour ago

40 by LSSJ_Gaming »»
5 seconds ago

» "This was a Masterpiece!!!" sections or moments in shows that aren't that.

APolygons2 - 3 hours ago

10 by Cestlavie_ »»
35 seconds ago

» Do you have any special memories from the anime fandom?

RobertBobert - Today

3 by JaniSIr »»
1 minute ago

» Why are so many ecchi enjoyers overweight?

EverRealm - 1 hour ago

16 by Nurguburu »»
3 minutes ago

» Criticism You Don't Understand. ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

62 by LSSJ_Gaming »»
5 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.