Forum Settings
Forums

What’s an anime that you thought you’d hate, but you ended up enjoying?

New
May 2, 2023 8:54 AM

Jan 2023
For me, it was any sports anime. I thought because I hated sports irl that I’d hate sports anime, but now I love it!

What’s yours? You can name a title or even an entire genre.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 2, 2023 8:57 AM

Sep 2020
Tensura and Tokyo revengers first come to mind, I ended up enjoying them a lot more than I originally thought.
May 2, 2023 9:06 AM

Nov 2018
SAO

S1 was a bit meh, S2 and GGO I didn't like all that much, but OS and all of Alicization were really enjoyable

Please show your love for my Kiss x Sis manga review here. It will only take you 2 minutes of your time 🙏🙏
Check out my list of emojis you can copy and paste in the forums here. List will expand in the future.
May 2, 2023 9:10 AM

Dec 2021
I would say Demon Slayer

The premise itself was so vile that I was reluctant until I descried some of it's redeemable facets such as saccharine characters and sumptuous aesthetics
If you want to reply to my posts, come up with valid arguments instead of ad hominem HIGHER LEVEL THINKERS ONLY
May 2, 2023 9:11 AM

Jul 2021
Anime in general falls under that category.
Although I still only enjoy a rather small percentage of it.
May 2, 2023 9:13 AM

Mar 2023
Full Moon o Sagashite. I would never know i would end up loving a idol show, and i hate most idol shows.
May 2, 2023 9:19 AM

Feb 2020
Didn't think I'd ever enjoy an Imaishi anime but then I watched Kill la Kill.
May 2, 2023 9:35 AM

May 2019
The first one that comes to mind is probably Texhnolyze. I wouldn't say I thought I hate it but I didn't expect to love it to the extent I did.
yo
May 2, 2023 9:38 AM
Jul 2018
At first I though I wouldn't like Chainsaw Man since I heard it containes a lots of blood and other gore like stuff which I don't like, yet at the end it was better than I expected to be... 
May 2, 2023 9:42 AM

Oct 2016
I wasn't expecting to hate Oregairu. I just thought that I'd find it somewhat boring and slow.  So, I thought I'd only last a season. Much to my surprise, I ended up loving it.
May 2, 2023 9:53 AM

Mar 2021
Hanako. I was sure I was going to drop it. And it became my favorite manga.

May 2, 2023 10:02 AM

Apr 2023
I remember back in 2016 after I watched KareKano, I was recommended to watch Marmalade Boy. I saw on its synopsis that it was like a soap opera anime and I thought I will hate it because I don't like soap operas or telenovelas. I ended up enjoying it very much and binged watch all 76 episodes in like 3 days. It might be because of its good characterization of its characters where in live action soap operas it typically sucks.
May 2, 2023 10:07 AM
Jul 2015
Nichijou. I did certainly not hate it, but just couldn't get past the first few minutes/pages, when I first started it. It looked kind of wonky and just felt sooo boring. Fuck, was I wrong!

Similarly with Yokohama Shopping Log (manga!), no hate, just an overwhelming amount of disinterest. I was much younger then and the thing didn't deliver any cheap gratification. Semi-dropped it one or two times before I really gave it a go. Damn, it was so worth it! It's become one of my all-time favourites since and I reread it every so often to this day.

Can I also do it the other way round?

Barakamon (manga). Loved the comedy and everything right away, but
That's only for the manga; the anime ended much sooner.

Dandadan (manga). Was basically a super cute romantic comedy - here and there very subtly and playfully satirising battle shounen cringe (by which I mean: Taking a huge dump on it). Shortly afterwards, it turned into the very thing itself, no brakes, full cringe ahead (OK, tbf, it's keeping SOME of the humour ... not much, though).
DickegrobeMay 2, 2023 10:11 AM
May 2, 2023 10:30 AM

Jul 2013
https://myanimelist.net/anime/3342/Mnemosyne__Mnemosyne_no_Musume-tachi

I didn't think I would like this because of Yuri (I usually avoid shows which are focused on this and yaoi. I also avoid shows with such MCs). But it was damn good, the sexuality also made sense as it was tied to the plot so this show was a surprise.
Same goes with Shin Sekai Yori, I unfairly judged it mid season and now it sits at a pretty high place on my list.

Now I was not sure about Ergo Proxy because of the poster and episode 2-3 wasn't able to pull me in but I loved the show overall. That made me dive into Texhnolyze which I wasn't liking it mid-season but wow, that ending was great (and melancholic).

I'm really liking the current season of Dr. Stone considering I gave S2 a 4/10.
May 2, 2023 10:34 AM

Jan 2023
Dickegrobe said:

Can I also do it the other way round?

Barakamon (manga). Loved the comedy and everything right away, but
That's only for the manga; the anime ended much sooner.

That’s interesting! This comment makes me want to read the manga now. I’m actually kind of obsessed with Handa Sensei. I love characters who suffer from excessive pessimism for some reason. I’d love to see how the manga differs.
May 2, 2023 10:37 AM
Mar 2021
I don't watch any anime that I don't think I'll like so I've only really experienced the opposite
May 2, 2023 10:43 AM
Jul 2017
Black Clover for me. It’s as shounen as shounen anime get but it’s still an enjoyable show to binge watch for me. Don’t think I could have watched it weekly though. I don’t mind the generic shounen tropes and the average animation but the one thing I hate is that some characters have like one personality trait and that’s it and whenever they open their mouth it’s “oh I love my sister.” “I wanna fight” “I wanna eat.” Like, please let them talk about literally anything else XD. But other than that the show is pretty fun.
May 2, 2023 10:43 AM
cinnamon girl ♡

Apr 2021
Sports for me too, Haikyuu to be precise
May 2, 2023 10:45 AM

Nov 2022
If I think I am not going to like it, I will not watch it to begin with.

My backlog of shows is infinitely long already.
Buy my awesome BDSM male domination book here  https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/1174760

Visit my Discord https://discord.com/channels/1047490147794550844/1047490149161898039 I am not there most of the time but you can leave a message.

Or my blog here https://BDSMAnime.blogspot.com/
Or here https://BDSMAnime18.blogspot.com/

Submit to me and become my subject here https://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=88107
May 2, 2023 10:45 AM
作画

Nov 2019
no cases like this at the moment, I usually skip stuff that I think I wouldn't enjoy
May 2, 2023 10:48 AM

Jun 2014
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure.

I was put off by the artstyle and hype. I was hooked around the time Speedwagon first showed up.
May 2, 2023 10:54 AM

Oct 2019
Onimai! along with My Dress Up Darling. Ended up being a huge fan of the latter because of how absurdly cute it is.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 2, 2023 11:00 AM

Jan 2021
Darling in the FranXX, I really wasn't expecting it to be one of the rare examples of a series copying EVA that actually came out well.
May 2, 2023 11:04 AM

Mar 2012
Spy x Family - I don't like kids and hate a setting where two people are forced to be together while they use a child to ship them but on watching Spy x Family I found Anya to be super cute and there is no (forced) romance between Loid and Yor (at least not so far in the anime, haven't read the manga)

Yakuza's Guide to Babysitting - Again I don't like kids and I hate anime involving yakuza, gangs or any sort of delinquents but it turned out to be so wholesome and enjoyable.
May 2, 2023 11:17 AM

Mar 2021
Lucky star and Fate
I thought I would hate their cast, they all grew up on me man
May 2, 2023 11:17 AM
John Titor

Jul 2017
Nagatoro. Not the anime but the manga. I was pretty sure I was gonna hate Nagatoro by chap. 9 or so, but it was the other way around! Now I love this manga, the characters and their interactions. I didn't imagine it was gonna be that wholesome. The premise of "the girl that bullies her senpai" is remarkably shortsighted.

Didn't like that much the anime adaptation, tho...
Mi música chiptune (auténtica, no fakebit) / My chiptune music (real, no fakebit)
YouTube
Battle of the Bits
SoundCloud
May 2, 2023 11:23 AM

Mar 2021
Berserk. Thought it would just be a violent power fantasy but ended up being so much more
May 2, 2023 11:36 AM
Jun 2019
Before watching is oshi noko is the only anime i hated first
I hated all idol adaptation i have watched so i hated when i heard this adaptation
But poster was so captivating and synopsis was interested so i tried manga to just check
And that was mind blowing now it is second best manga i ever read
And one of the greatest anime/manga i ever watched/read
May 2, 2023 11:37 AM
May 2011
black clover, nana, usagi drop, steins gate, haikyuu, quintessential quintuplets.

Nov 2018
Land of the Lustrous was basically the first truly good CGI anime back when I rightfully hated CGI in anime since it was generally eye-bleeding bad. It to this day remains one of the better series I've come across. The only reason I gave it a chance was because some of the reviews praised the story. The visuals turned out to be quite stunning, particularly for its time.
Jun 2019
TitanOfPlasma said:
Nagatoro. Not the anime but the manga. I was pretty sure I was gonna hate Nagatoro by chap. 9 or so, but it was the other way around! Now I love this manga, the characters and their interactions. I didn't imagine it was gonna be that wholesome. The premise of "the girl that bullies her senpai" is remarkably shortsighted.

Didn't like that much the anime adaptation, tho...
try karakai jouzu no takagi san i consider it is the best in this genre
May 2, 2023 11:47 AM
Jul 2022
I wasn't expecting to like Code Geass as much as I do. I thought Trigun would be kinda boring, but I love old animation so I was hoping I'd like it. It proved itself to be spectacular and hilarious in the first episode.
May 2, 2023 11:48 AM
Jun 2019
ThorLL said:

No i usually listen to rating and my brother in this matter
For ex anime i drop at first but later watch due to other reasons was
Clannad
Aot
Your lie in April
Oshi noko
One punch man
Etc
May 2, 2023 11:57 AM

Feb 2016
Madoka Magica comes to mind. I originally thought it was a typical Magical girl show, but ended up being more than just that. 
May 2, 2023 12:10 PM
Jul 2015
VexingCurses said:
I’d love to see how the manga differs.

Don't quote me on that, but I don't think it differs that much. It just ran longer (past the point where the anime ends, that is). And as my spoiler may have already suggested, I wouldn't hope for too much in terms of character exploration. Or maybe ... uh, fuck, go read it, I might be wrong.

VexingCurses said:
characters who suffer from excessive pessimism

I assume you're already reading Uramichi Oniisan? It's less SOL and more comedy with a boatload of darkish sarcasm; highly depressive mc (in the best way possible, however wrong and cruel that may sound). Seriously, it's a riot! At chapter 50-something now and still going strong.

Maybe, but just maybe, also try Wave, Listen to me. No over-the-top pessimism, but the mc is still wonderfully fucked up in a way that you just cannot look away. Mostly realistic setting and a rather adult feel to it. There is also quite a bit of dark shit in it, but overall it's a fun read. There is an anime that covers the earlier chapters, it's also good.
DickegrobeMay 2, 2023 12:19 PM
May 2, 2023 12:24 PM

Jan 2023
Dickegrobe said:

I assume you're already reading Uramichi Oniisan? It's less SOL and more comedy with a boatload of darkish sarcasm; highly depressive mc (in the best way possible, however wrong and cruel that may sound). Seriously, it's a riot! At chapter 50-something now and still going strong.

Maybe, but just maybe, also try Wave, Listen to me. No over-the-top pessimism, but the mc is still wonderfully fucked up in a way that you just cannot look away. Mostly realistic setting and a rather adult feel to it. There is also quite a bit of dark shit in it, but overall it's a fun read. There is an anime that covers the earlier chapters, it's also good.

I definitely check this out. It sounds great and 50 chapters is pretty short.
May 2, 2023 4:43 PM

Nov 2022
Muhammad13xx said:
ThorLL said:

No i usually listen to rating and my brother in this matter
For ex anime i drop at first but later watch due to other reasons was
Clannad
Aot
Your lie in April
Oshi noko
One punch man
Etc

I got skeptical of other peoples recommendations after Eva.

People recommended it heavily to me, but I ended up dropping it.
Buy my awesome BDSM male domination book here  https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/1174760

Visit my Discord https://discord.com/channels/1047490147794550844/1047490149161898039 I am not there most of the time but you can leave a message.

Or my blog here https://BDSMAnime.blogspot.com/
Or here https://BDSMAnime18.blogspot.com/

Submit to me and become my subject here https://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=88107
May 2, 2023 4:47 PM

Aug 2018
Mob Psycho is actually pretty good. Not as good as the shounen fanboys say. it especially falls off when it gets to the part when it's all about DBZ style battles... but still.
May 2, 2023 4:51 PM

May 2018
Kuzu no Honkai, more because everyone trash on it. After watching the anime and read the manga I realized people were just unsatisfied and offended by characters being basically scum (it's indeed Scum's Wish after all). It's a drama about the twisted side of love and desire, and characters and their interactions are so genuine and interesting that I couldn't help but feel bad about it and love everything at the same time. It really is a good drama and a well written story.

Grant me one hour on love's most sacred shores
    To clasp the bosom that my soul adores,
    Lie heart to heart and merge my soul with yours
May 2, 2023 5:16 PM

Jan 2023
Girlfriend, Girlfriend unironically. I honestly enjoyed it and found it entertaining but for a different reason.

"You win this round. You doggies."
May 2, 2023 5:17 PM

Feb 2021
Artifiyings said:
Madoka Magica comes to mind. I originally thought it was a typical Magical girl show, but ended up being more than just that. 
Same. I watched it because a friend couldn't shut up about it so I was like fuck it. 

And it's good. 
"Nobody could laugh at someone who's trying their hardest" -Machio-

May 2, 2023 5:50 PM
Sep 2013
Boku no hero academia. Don't really like superhero type stuff. Only reason I checked it out in the first place was the hype around it. 
Konosuba. Because I saw some pretty ecchi scenes and as such, came in with a very skeptical attitude. 
Toradora! At this point in time, I had grown pretty tired of school anime. 
Prison school. Same reasons as konosuba. Not big on ecchi so I wasn't expecting much. 
Sakamoto desu ga? The synopsis makes it sound like he's a mary sue.....which he admittedly is. But the execution is well done. Probably wouldn't work as well if it wasn't comedy though
Yuri!!! On ice. Hate sports so obviously sports anime help little, if any, appeal. 
Overlord. My friend told me about it and it really didn't sound very appealing. "Some OP character stomps through a world full of noobs" doesn't sound great. But it managed to work.

May 2, 2023 5:53 PM

May 2012
Kitagawa Marin the bisque doll

at first I thought it's just going to be another waifu-fan service empty anime.

turns out the romance is very enjoyable. you can feel the moe gap and the characters are fun to watch
if you want good story, read novel. if you want good graphic, read manga. anime is beyond that.
May 2, 2023 6:03 PM

May 2021
Baka Test looked like another one of those drab rom-coms at first glance. It wasn't (at least not for me), and I'm glad I decided to watch it; absolutely enjoyed it.

May 2, 2023 6:12 PM
Sep 2021
Surprisingly, Gintama. When i first watched it, i felt annoyed by how they often parodies other anime but of course, their goated voice acting make me love the series & i also ended up loving their comedy
May 2, 2023 6:20 PM

Aug 2019
I thought that "Space Dandy" wouldn't be my thing, but then the second season came along and really proved me wrong. Wish I was proven wrong more often.
May 2, 2023 6:42 PM

Aug 2020
Who tf goes into an anime not expecting to like it??? Theres better use of your time. I can understand movies since they are an hour or so of relatively higher quality than mass productions, but shows that can easily go 5 hours+? Jesus.
Keep scrolling
May 2, 2023 7:12 PM

Jul 2016
Hate's not at all the right word for it, but I had went in to the Doubutsu no Mori movie not expecting much out of it, but I ended up enjoying it a lot more than I expected. Really cute film, I should give it a rewatch at some point.
May 2, 2023 7:42 PM

Feb 2022
Hate is a strong word but I didn't expect to like CGDCT shows that much but I've really enjoyed the ones I've seen.
May 2, 2023 9:07 PM

Apr 2022
haikyuu, volleyball seems uninteresting to me but it was enjoyable. well, the first 3 seasons at least.
jojo's part 4 because of the weird color palette, which isn't a new thing of course. ended up being my favorite part.
konosuba and re;zero s1, because isekai.
mob psycho because weird art style.
odd taxi because anthropomorphic.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Do you enjoy talking about anime you dislike?

Catalano - 2 minutes ago

1 by deg »»
40 seconds ago

» Anime that reignited your passion for watching

Cammell - 1 hour ago

7 by rho34 »»
1 minute ago

» How far are you willing to forgive anime for its obvious (to you) disadvantages?

RobertBobert - Yesterday

26 by inim »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » anime is trash and so am i

deg - 18 minutes ago

6 by rho34 »»
7 minutes ago

» Do your favorite hentai tags reflect your desires in real life?

Ejrodiew - Yesterday

15 by Rhae »»
8 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.