Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Mar 15, 2023 9:42 AM

Oct 2010
LostSpectre said:
KryzakamiHrybami said:

What trash taste? Huntrash x Garbage doesn't deserve anything higher than 1. Catalano-kun is a smart man.
Well, actually no. You're both clearly inept, as you're in the vast minority. 

people who voted against hitler were also in the vast minority so by your logic they were wrong.
300 IQ spotted.
Mar 15, 2023 9:45 AM

Jan 2013
Catalano said:
LostSpectre said:

people who voted against hitler were also in the vast minority so by your logic they were wrong.
300 IQ spotted.
Yeah. I don't ever want to see the likes of you attempting to make a logical argument, just stick with your ecchi posts and other trolling. 

Thanks. 
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Mar 15, 2023 9:48 AM

Jun 2019
I agree - At least in practice, so far. I've never given one, at least. The lowest score I've extended to an anime remains a 2/10 and even those I have very very few of.

Catalano said:
LostSpectre said:

300 IQ spotted.
Hitler and the NSDAP at the time when Hindenburg appointed Hitler chancellor didn't receive a majority of the German vote share. It was something like 33% (too lazy to sift back for the specific figure right now).
Mar 15, 2023 9:55 AM

Dec 2021
Only Anime that deserve 1/10 are Re:ZERO One Piece, Bleach, Chainsaw Man, Black Clover, My Hero Academia, Jujutsu Kaisen and few more

Anime that deserve Negative Rating are- Naruto, Boruto, Attack on Titan and Tokyo Revengers
If you want to reply to my posts, come up with valid arguments instead of ad hominem HIGHER LEVEL THINKERS ONLY
Mar 15, 2023 9:56 AM

Jul 2021
I only rate shows either 1 or 10, based on how over/under rated their ratings are at the moment I bother expressing my vote. That's another reason to score 1/10.

Besides, the same argument you're putting forwards could also be applied to any show rated 2 or even 3 out of 10. By that logic we might as well switch to a 5 star rating system, which is rather silly.

Also I absolutely reject the notion of rewarding the effort. Take Kaizoku Oujou for instance: wonderful production, the anime is still garbage. In its case all the effort they've put in producing such a terrible show feels like wasting resources that could have gone into something worth it. That's yet another reason to drop a legitimate 1/10.
Mar 15, 2023 9:57 AM
Jan 2018
Why do people want to knock down the King on their throne? If we are gonna go that way, then lets put Tokyo Revengers up there too. A super popular anime that is super terrible. Can we start a movement for people hating on that show too?

To the OP, the more a show fails at its premise, the more hate a viewer can have for it. Plus some people have unreasonable standards. Also some people enjoy hate watching shows. If an anime truly was 1/10 I wouldn't even try to watch it.

Big Order isn't a 1 out of 10. But to me it comes pretty close.
Mar 15, 2023 10:46 AM

May 2021
zaganGao said:
i believe that aside from very few horrifically bad Anime(especially the ones coming out today), NO Anime truly deserve a score of 1/10. 
just the effort of production, Animation, and voice acting alone on any modern standard Anime that might also have a terrible story- by itself deserves a score of 3/10 or 4/10. 
the only couple of reasons i can think of that make people think an Anime score should be 1/10 is either if they have a bias against the Anime or the Author that comes from their love to another Anime, or that the Anime presents themes that are deeply offensive to them and they simply can't take it in a critical and constructive way. 
and needless to say, both of these reasons are not good reasons to rate something a 1/10. 

Yeah... 'cause there's no way someone can simply think the plot and/or themes are extreamly poorly executed without having bias or being offended
What debating with DigiCat is like according to APolygons2
That's why I thought a discussion would be pointless. It doesn't feel like a debate. It feels like I'm playing chess and somehow lose to an uno reverse card after loosing all my monopoly money lol
Mar 15, 2023 10:49 AM

May 2021
Maou_heika said:
I can write a huge essay on why I gave Kyo Kara Maoh a 1/10, care to listen?

Please do, i'm all ears :3

character limit
What debating with DigiCat is like according to APolygons2
That's why I thought a discussion would be pointless. It doesn't feel like a debate. It feels like I'm playing chess and somehow lose to an uno reverse card after loosing all my monopoly money lol
Mar 15, 2023 10:52 AM
Oct 2019
Wrong. Rent-a-Girlfriend exists, and it's so bad that I'd go as far as to say that it's the reason 1/10 ratings exist.
Mar 15, 2023 11:07 AM

Jan 2021
I've only scored one anime a 1/10. Cypher
Sometimes it takes a real man to be best girl. Gilgamesh is also chad.

[/center]
Mar 15, 2023 11:11 AM

Apr 2015
ShatteredSans said:
Wrong. Rent-a-Girlfriend exists, and it's so bad that I'd go as far as to say that it's the reason 1/10 ratings exist.
Agreed, that trash can of a show having a 7 and 6 score is astonishing, let alone a 3rd season.
"Well, she's flatter than a pancake"
-Mimi Alpacas
"Woof"
-Tobiichi Origami 
"Are you trying to turn the dormitory into a strip club!?!
-Atena Saotome 
Mar 15, 2023 11:12 AM

Sep 2014
LostSpectre said:
KryzakamiHrybami said:

What trash taste? Huntrash x Garbage doesn't deserve anything higher than 1. Catalano-kun is a smart man.

Well thanks for your concern, but I don't see what makes Huntrash x Garbage deserve anything other than 1/10. Standing in the minority isn't going to change my mind lol.
Mar 15, 2023 12:04 PM

Sep 2020
I mean a scoring system is made with the intent purpose of grading to provide a good scale of comparison between series, and even if some are rated on the extremes you could argue there is no absolute perfect show that fulfills everyone therefore there's no anime that deserves a 10/10 score but that's stupid, people are allowed to give a perfect rating to their favorite shows just as much as they can rate badly anime they find appalling. The main problem with this "no anime deserves a 1/10 score" mindset is that it ignores freedom of expression, yeah there's targeted hate towards a fandom or author, and yes there are people giving it that score out of spite or because it offended them but have you truly seen that affect the overall rating? For example One Piece, one of the most popular manga/anime in existence has a dedicated group of people shitting on it... just like with everything else, it doesn't stop it from being beloved all around the world. Sometimes hate bandwagons can get annoying and not be constructive in any way, and? What matters, in the end, is your own opinion.

Just as a side note the only anime I've rated a 1/10 is 2003 Blame ONA because it's void of any character development and doesn't make sense whatsoever other than it being scenes from the manga with headache-inducing flashing lights throughout. Yet stats show there are still 556 people that voted a 10/10, do these scores make each other invalid? No, just as I have my reasons for disliking it others have their reasons for liking it.
Mar 15, 2023 12:14 PM

May 2018
Ironically, OP gives 9s and 10s to aforementioned "horrifically bad" anime.

Mar 15, 2023 12:53 PM

May 2020
No Anime deserves a 10/10 score too. What's your point?

Maybe try sleeping?

Mar 15, 2023 12:55 PM

May 2020
Serafos said:
What about Pupa, Shitcom, My Sister, My Writer?
Yea, it exists solely for these abominable titles. 

Maybe try sleeping?

Mar 15, 2023 1:06 PM

Feb 2020
zaganGao said:
i believe that aside from very few horrifically bad Anime(especially the ones coming out today), NO Anime truly deserve a score of 1/10. 
just the effort of production, Animation, and voice acting alone on any modern standard Anime that might also have a terrible story- by itself deserves a score of 3/10 or 4/10. 
the only couple of reasons i can think of that make people think an Anime score should be 1/10 is either if they have a bias against the Anime or the Author that comes from their love to another Anime, or that the Anime presents themes that are deeply offensive to them and they simply can't take it in a critical and constructive way. 
and needless to say, both of these reasons are not good reasons to rate something a 1/10. 

I definitely agree with what you're saying, but that standard for what is, as you say, "horrifically bad" is quite subjective imo. Like for example, would you say my distribution of 1s is reasonable? I would say it is. If a show has an incredibly problematic message, I even try to give it a 2 in light of saving the 1/10s for the weird dementia OVAs. But in this case, I'm technically dishing out 1/10s to anime that might not deserve it from someone else's perspective.

You could shift the argument you're making to 7s and say that "all anime should get an average score of 7 and not 5" or something and see that people are simply going to disagree. It's a game of subjectivity of the end of the day; if ppl wanna give out more 1s than 3s and 4s, let them.
Please sign up for MangAlert! It's a little project I made that I'd really like to see the light of day and some users.

MangAlert! (please sign up!)
GitHub Repo (please star!)
Mar 15, 2023 1:32 PM

Dec 2018
Oh no I'd hate to hurt the feelings of the animators and voice actors, because they totally all can read English and care deeply about one random internet user's opinion. The score ranges from 1 to 10 for a reason. Use it
Mar 15, 2023 1:35 PM

Nov 2020
If an anime pisses me off so much to the point I wish I haven't watched it, I think it's fair to give it a 1
Mar 15, 2023 1:35 PM

Dec 2022
zaganGao said:
Perhaps not the best way to word that but, in general, I do agree.

If someone is scoring based on objectivity, the simple nature that an anime was made by professionals who are skilled, makes ~99% of anime better than 1/10.

Even if someone is scoring based solely on personal enjoyment, >95% are still better than 1/10.
Mar 15, 2023 2:29 PM

Sep 2017
there is definitely anime out there that should get that score
[font="\"Proxima Nova Regular\", \"Helvetica Neue\", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif"][/font]

Mar 15, 2023 3:02 PM
Dec 2022
It's probably true that most people cannot give a concise description of why they'd rate something a 1 rather than a 2, or 2 rather than 3. It could be concerning if most people can't do that, then on what grounds they rate an anime the lowest score other than that person really not liking the show. 
Mar 15, 2023 3:04 PM

Jul 2013
Your argument that because the production was done by professionals it must have been skillfully done, is not a universal truth. Besides, even if an animated work, like all art, is skillfully produced, that does not protect it from criticism. I'm sure you've heard the phrase “industry standard” before, right? For an anime to be broadcast, it has to meet certain standards. A network will not, say, air 12 episodes of white noise under the pretense that it's an anime. A production that meets those standards and is broadcast should be rated amongst its peers, who have also met those standards, making the act of meeting those standards unimpressive.

There are plenty of reasons to rate a show 1/10, but yes, they are all subjective.
Mar 15, 2023 3:13 PM

May 2015
Why not? 1 point for existing and even that can be generous at times. Like you can give a higher score for things you liked, just as well you can subtract for things you disliked. And since when scores are not subjective?
Mar 15, 2023 3:50 PM

Oct 2022
Let's say you're 17 and you like Anime X. It doesn't matter what it is. But online, all the lists rank Anime Y above Anime X. This makes you angry and you hate it.
So how would you get Anime X to get a higher avg score and Anime Y to have a lower avg score? 
You rate Anime X a 10 and Anime Y a 1. 
Then you convince some friends to do this, or you sign up a few additional shadow accounts and do the same. 
Yes this happens all the time. 
Mar 15, 2023 3:51 PM
Mar 2017
OmegaOtaku said:
Nothing deserves a 1? My dude, go watch some of the shit I'm about to list and see what you think because let me tell you that are quite a good selection of just hot garbage that you would have to be out of your mind if you give anything better than a 1 or 2 if you're generous.

https://myanimelist.net/anime/13405/Utsu_Musume_Sayuri
https://myanimelist.net/anime/28929/Vampire_Holmes
https://myanimelist.net/anime/19315/Pupa
https://myanimelist.net/anime/38853/Ex-Arm
https://myanimelist.net/anime/413/Hametsu_no_Mars
https://myanimelist.net/anime/3287/Tenkuu_Danzai_Skelter_Heaven
https://myanimelist.net/anime/40074/Gibiate

Or visit this stack (https://myanimelist.net/stacks/5063) for the lowest rated TV/ONA series on the site and let me know if that changes your opinion.

Bottom line is, and no disrespect intended, you might wanna explore more anime before you so boldly proclaim that no anime actually deserves a 1/10 because that just is not true.
i mean, you don't have to take my words so litteral. in fact i did mention how i agree that SOME Anime probably deserves a 1/10 or 2/10 score, but there are very few of them compared to the total amount of Anime out there. 
would you at least agree with me that the VAST MAJORITY of 1/10 scores given on this site are not genuine, in the sense that they come from hatred and bias, rather than the users TRULY thinking the show deserves a 1/10?
i would also argue the exact same case for 10/10 btw. normally every person would have maybe a couple of 10/10's even if he watched hundreds of Anime. since no matter how much you specifically loved this or that Anime, it does not mean this Anime is objectively a 10/10 masterpiece and most people are being knowingly disingenuous when they give 1/10 score or 10/10 score.
Mar 15, 2023 4:23 PM

Mar 2019
You're preaching at people who think 7/10 is what should be an average score lol.
Mar 15, 2023 5:45 PM

Jan 2019
Clearly you've never watched any yaoi

Altho I guess you are right that I do find junjou romantica offensive because it forever destroyed some of my braincells that I could really use rn
Mar 15, 2023 5:49 PM
Dec 2021
zaganGao said:
Apparently, you’ve never heard of hentai.
Mar 15, 2023 6:04 PM

Sep 2018
I strongly disagree. An anime can have "effort" put into it and still fail at absolutely everything it does. If an anime does literally nothing well, what is it if not a 1/10?
Mar 15, 2023 6:08 PM

Mar 2016
zaganGao said:
Why would this make a difference as to whether an anime deserves a 1/10 or not? Its not like each individual point of the score is related to a specific aspect of the anime, the score as a whole should reflect your overall enjoyment of the series. If you sat down at a restaurant for dinner and were served the best smelling food of all time, but tasted it and vomit, would you not be able to rate the food a 1 because the fragrance was good? The whole idea just seems ridiculous to me.

My criteria for an anime I rate 2 is that I did not enjoy watching the anime at just about any point during the watch time, and my criteria for a 1 is the same with the addition that I disliked it to the point that even remembering watching it makes me angry. I think this gives me an ok number of anime that I wind up rating 1 or 2 and don't see why that would need to change.
Mar 15, 2023 6:09 PM

Dec 2020
If it has no redeeming qualities it deserves a 1.
Mar 15, 2023 6:32 PM

Feb 2021
I gave Gamers! a 1 because of how shitty it is. My feelings matter most when it comes to anime I'm watching. 
"Nobody could laugh at someone who's trying their hardest" -Machio-

Mar 15, 2023 6:34 PM

Aug 2009
zaganGao said:
If its a re-cap series and movies then sure it deserves a 1/10. Because recaps are where they take bits and pieces of old episodes, slap them them together. Its a kick in the balls to fans wanting something new but instead are getting cut and pasted re-runs.
Mar 15, 2023 6:45 PM
危ないお兄さん

Nov 2016
Maou_heika said:
I can write a huge essay on why I gave Kyo Kara Maoh a 1/10, care to listen?

Let me listen urs

IsaBelle33 said:
but....but....What about 

Boku No Pico???? 1/10 0_0
im questioning ur humanity if u put boku no pico into 1/10 score

Mar 15, 2023 6:56 PM

Nov 2021
oh no honey, that's a lie. renai flops does!
timeforproblemsMar 16, 2023 5:42 AM
if i had a flower for every time i think of you, i could walk in my garden forever.
Mar 15, 2023 7:26 PM

Sep 2021
Sachyan said:
It's mostly because of people like you that the MAL mean score can't really be trusted, where most of the rated things are above 5 because people are just too afraid of actually criticize something. In the end, you're just using the rating system in the wrong way. In a way, the 1s, 2s, 3s and 4s scores are simply there to be used for anime you generally dislike or have mixed feelings about it, in different gradations. 
Totally, totally agree. I'm not saying my list is any perfect example of rating or anything like that (it's absolutely not lmao), but this kind of mindset is why I used to have a ridiculously high mean score, tons of anime rated 10s, and why I refused to rate anything lower than a 6. It was genuinely so freeing to break out of that and start actually rating anime in a way that expresses how I actually feel about them. Of course I know not everyone is going to agree with my scores, but at least I feel like they actually show what kinds of shows and themes I truly like and appreciate now. I'm still working on that today; I still pause every time I click a number lower than 5, but then I remember that they're literally just numbers, and they're all there for a reason.

I kinda feel like a lot of people have this mindset where, if they rate anything lower than a 5, it means that they're being personally mean to the anime in question and the people who worked on it. When, like you said, it's just to show which anime you generally dislike or didn't really click with. If you don't actually use the whole scale (and for a lot of people this means not using any number below 6 or 5-), it's a lot harder to tell what you like and dislike, and in most cases I'm just going to assume that you like absolutely everything you watch.

All that said, I haven't yet watched anything I've felt deserved a 1/10, but Kanojo, Okarishimasu came really, really close.

We can always go somewhere again.
✧✧✧✧✧✧
profilewatchingart credit

Mar 15, 2023 7:38 PM

Jan 2019
I kinda get what you’re saying tbh. I’ve seen some shows that are pretty bad but I still give them a 7 or 8 because they look “so darn gorgeous” or because they have a really clever premise but completely fail to pull it off. The lowest I’ve ever scored a show is 5 and those three shows are pretty darn bad when thinking back about it. I guess I just feel bad giving a show a super low score when I know SO much work goes into making an anime! Plus, even the shows I didn’t like at all I honestly would watch again if I had to (though I probably wouldn’t enjoy it!).

Some American films on the other hand… are a completely different story. I’m sorry but Saturday Night Fever is a total 1/10 - one of the most depressing, stupid, vulgar, and offensive things I have ever seen!
Mar 15, 2023 7:45 PM

Jul 2013
RedVelvet930 said:
I guess I just feel bad giving a show a super low score when I know SO much work goes into making an anime!
this is why I love MAL, nobody actually reads threads and it leads to stuff like this person admitting to the behavior the previous person criticized 
Mar 15, 2023 7:56 PM

May 2016
berserk (2016) said something different
Mar 15, 2023 8:05 PM

May 2018
smoltulip said:
Sachyan said:
It's mostly because of people like you that the MAL mean score can't really be trusted, where most of the rated things are above 5 because people are just too afraid of actually criticize something. In the end, you're just using the rating system in the wrong way. In a way, the 1s, 2s, 3s and 4s scores are simply there to be used for anime you generally dislike or have mixed feelings about it, in different gradations. 
Totally, totally agree. I'm not saying my list is any perfect example of rating or anything like that (it's absolutely not lmao), but this kind of mindset is why I used to have a ridiculously high mean score, tons of anime rated 10s, and why I refused to rate anything lower than a 6. It was genuinely so freeing to break out of that and start actually rating anime in a way that expresses how I actually feel about them. Of course I know not everyone is going to agree with my scores, but at least I feel like they actually show what kinds of shows and themes I truly like and appreciate now. I'm still working on that today; I still pause every time I click a number lower than 5, but then I remember that they're literally just numbers, and they're all there for a reason.

I kinda feel like a lot of people have this mindset where, if they rate anything lower than a 5, it means that they're being personally mean to the anime in question and the people who worked on it. When, like you said, it's just to show which anime you generally dislike or didn't really click with. If you don't actually use the whole scale (and for a lot of people this means not using any number below 6 or 5-), it's a lot harder to tell what you like and dislike, and in most cases I'm just going to assume that you like absolutely everything you watch.

All that said, I haven't yet watched anything I've felt deserved a 1/10, but Kanojo, Okarishimasu came really, really close.

That's exactly it. And quite honestly, people don't have to agree with your scores, they're completely subjective, it's not possible to establish an universal and objective rating system, but if you don't use the whole scale it's very hard to actually tell what each score means to you. Also, if you give a lot of 10s they end up losing their value, how can anything be that good? Is it really that easy to produce a masterpiece? Not to mention that if you refuse to use 1-3 scores, it would be fair to refuse to use the 8-10 as well, and stick with 4-7 instead. After all, if no anime deserves a 1/10, then a 10/10 should be equally out of question. Plus, they're just numbers, but very useful ones since it's how you organize your list and differentiate the things you like from the things you don't. 

It's not offensive in any way to use the 1-4 scores, and believe me they have no impact in the industry whatsoever. Why someone should be offended by the things you like and dislike after all? It's totally personal. For people who refuses to use anything below a 5, I can't really tell if a 5 is their equivalent of a 1 or if they actually think it's something decent and like pretty much everything (which would be very weird). But in the end, it feels like they're just giving scores out of pity; it's a weird mindset that says: ''okay, they tried really hard, so let's give them a 5 for the effort''. If you ask me, that's much more offensive than simply give it a 1 and say you dislike it.
GuidSMRMar 15, 2023 8:13 PM

Grant me one hour on love's most sacred shores
    To clasp the bosom that my soul adores,
    Lie heart to heart and merge my soul with yours
Mar 15, 2023 8:14 PM

Feb 2019
You clearly have not watched Demon Slayer
Mar 15, 2023 8:27 PM

Feb 2016
Well if no anime deserves a 1/10 then I guess no anime deserves a 10/10 then. 
Mar 15, 2023 8:33 PM

Jul 2013
1/10 is really used as a means to vote bomb now-a-days. And some moronic anime watchers will rate all popular anime with a 1/10 because either they are edgy or battling with puberty.

Personally I haven't given any show a 1/10. I given the following a 2/10 for the below reasons.

Majikoi: Oh! Samurai Girls - Why the fuck do students have superpowers? It wasn't clearly explained. And the story was garbage. Some of the voice actors did a good job.
Pinky - No idea. Maybe it was just bad.
Bikini Warriors Special - I gave it a 2/10 because some scenes were hot. Big candidate for a 1/10
Fly - Too short to develop any story. Animation wasn't great either.
The Eminence in Shadow - I was just cringing watching this. I read more than 20 chapters of the manga and I liked it. I found the manga funny. The show wasn't. Except that one scene where Cid grabs the gold coin, I couldn't get this show at all. The characters were okay but Cid was too boring. It was a 5/10. "I am ATOMIC". -1 point for each word.
Condom Battler Gorou - I get what the anime was trying to achieve but the execution was dogshit.
Mar 15, 2023 8:36 PM

Apr 2019
If an anime bored me I am gonna rate it a 1. I don't care how much effort went into it. Anime is a product I pay for. If I don't like a product than I am going to rate it low, it's as simple as that.
Mar 15, 2023 8:39 PM

Oct 2014
Nah, there's a lot of anime that deserve a 1/10. Just because you haven't watched any yet doesn't mean the rest of us have to neglect a fully functional rating.

Also, what do you mean "just by existing it deserves at least a 3"? What if someone who did some key animation for an OP back in 2010 took their spaghetti, tossed it around in front of a camera for a bit, and uploaded it to Youtube? Would that deserve a 3/10 from the production, animation, etc? There's no voice acting and the music was done in iMusic in an afternoon by the same guy. (this isn't describing a specific anime, just a broad category of anime that are out there)

There's no real bar of entry for something to be considered anime and there are some awful anime out there. If you don't let yourself use 1/10 correctly then you're just moving those to 2/10 or 3/10 and then you either get a random mix of different quality anime sharing the same score or you end up having to rate everything higher, neither of which is ideal.
Mar 15, 2023 9:24 PM
ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Aug 2014
I have much I could say on this topic, but I agree that 1/10s should be sparingly used, if at all depending on what you've seen (assuming you are using the standard weight).
Mar 15, 2023 10:15 PM

Dec 2013
Someone rates something a 1/10, not because it may or may not deserve it.

Or you could ignore the freedom MAL has so generously offered us and rate using any subjective rating system that suits you.
Mar 15, 2023 10:26 PM

Oct 2021
great now we are gonna argue about anime scores

[font="\"Proxima Nova Regular\", \"Helvetica Neue\", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif"][/font]
Mar 15, 2023 11:09 PM

Oct 2013
While not many animes deserve the lowest score, there are surely some of them that are bad enough to be called as truly appaling.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Why do some people watch anime in 1.5x or 2x speed?

Rinrinka - 31 minutes ago

4 by SgtBateMan »»
8 minutes ago

» What are the modern beginner-friendly Anime for each genre?

Dragevard - 16 minutes ago

2 by rohan121 »»
14 minutes ago

» According to MAL, what are your anime hidden gems? ( 1 2 3 )

NoelleIsSleepy - May 2

106 by Mr_Libra »»
23 minutes ago

» Does seinen anime focus on other things besides ultra manliness?

fallout45 - 9 hours ago

33 by DigiCat »»
24 minutes ago

» J. Michael Tatum Appreciation Thread

APolygons2 - Yesterday

22 by ryan77999 »»
26 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.