Forum Settings
Forums
New
Mar 13, 2023 7:40 AM

Apr 2013
I looked at my PTW list and saw some anime rated below a 7 and wondered if I should actually watch them. Because usually I end up rating them below 7 as well, which means I didn't like them much. So I looked at anime.plus and looked at shows which I enjoyed (7+), but are rated lower than 7 by MAL.

10/10s:

9/10s:

8/10s:

7/10s:

So most anime I really liked which had a MAL score below 7 were ecchi shows. Somehow "Redo of Healer" is erotica and not ecchi, not sure what the difference is, borderline hentai?
Most of the other shows also have quite a bit of fanservice, so it seems that this might be the reason why they are also rated rather low. Which means for me personally, it feels like I should ignore MAL score for fanservice- and ecchi-anime. But for "serious" anime, MAL score might actually be useful for me.

Do you have noticed something like that as well? Does the MAL score help you sometimes to decide if you should watch a show or not?
Do you also feel like ecchi shows get too much hate on MAL or am I just an ecchi simp? (I actually might know the answer to that question already)
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Mar 13, 2023 7:41 AM

Sep 2020
Yes, scores don't matter that much to me.
Mar 13, 2023 7:43 AM

Feb 2023
I couldn't care less about MyAnimeList scores. I'd rather watch the anime myself and then decide whether I like it or not.
StyxParadiseMar 13, 2023 7:48 AM
Mar 13, 2023 7:43 AM

Feb 2020
Definitely yes. I don't care about MAL scores.
Mar 13, 2023 7:44 AM

May 2019
My whole anime viewing experience is watching anime below 7/10.
Rarely do i find hentais or ecchis that reach a 7 or an 8.
Score don't matter to me, i only want to be entertained.
Mar 13, 2023 7:51 AM

Jan 2021
Of course I do, I don't care much about MAL scores. I'm currently watching Vlad Love which has a score of 5.86 and it is great, you can tell the joke flew over MAL kids' heads
Mar 13, 2023 7:51 AM

May 2018
The mean score on MAL is fucked up, people usually tend to give a lot of high scores, there's just too much of 8~10s, and some people even refuse to rate anything below a 5, so you can't really tell what's good and bad based solely on the mean score. It can't be trusted sadly. That being said, I usually disregard the mean score and trust more in some of my friends scores. 

Grant me one hour on love's most sacred shores
    To clasp the bosom that my soul adores,
    Lie heart to heart and merge my soul with yours
Mar 13, 2023 7:52 AM

Mar 2018
I definitely take ratings into account when picking shows but I’ll give anything a chance. Boruto has been a pleasant surprise. I was expecting a train wreck based on the ratings but it’s not bad. Not as good as Naruto and it definitely has 20-30 episode stretches of being very boring, but I’ve enjoyed it a lot

And outside. Of LotGH and K-on 2nd season, none of the shows I’ve given a 10 have a score over 8.

Or maybe I just have terrible taste
Mar 13, 2023 7:53 AM

Aug 2020
I don't mind ratings that other people gave.

Mar 13, 2023 7:53 AM

Jul 2021
Below 7? I watched shows below 6 that were good.
Mar 13, 2023 7:56 AM
Jul 2018
I don't really check the MAL score of an entry before watching it.
Mar 13, 2023 8:02 AM

Apr 2015
As someone who likes ecchi and cgdct things, yes. Most of these are below 7 score and I like them a lot. 
"Well, she's flatter than a pancake"
-Mimi Alpacas
"Woof"
-Tobiichi Origami 
"Are you trying to turn the dormitory into a strip club!?!
-Atena Saotome 
Mar 13, 2023 8:03 AM

Sep 2018
Where's the option "I do care about MAL scores, but that doesn't mean I won't watch something that caught my interest just because it's rated low"

Scores need to be interpreted, because they also depend on the people who gave them and not just on the inner qualities of the show. There are quite a few <7 anime I love, but I can see why they don't appeal the mass audience.

Ecchi is a good example of what I said above, since the mainstream audience systematically rates this genre lower. That doesn't mean that scores are useless: for example, I'll acknowledge that a 7.5 score for an ecchi anime is just as outstanding as an 8.6 of the latest popular shounen.
Mar 13, 2023 8:03 AM

Jun 2016
Yeah and I liked quite a few of them. I've also hated stuff with an 8+ rating.
I never use average scores as indicators of quality. Unless it's rated 2/10 or something. Then it's probably bad by any objective or subjective metric.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Mar 13, 2023 8:04 AM

Jul 2013
MAL scores have been manipulated so much that you shouldn't trust them at all. Places like anidb, anilist, and anime-planet are somewhat better, but not by a lot. Too many shows have been botted and spammed with alts to manipulate their score, coupled with the people that throw out 10's based on enjoyment, and even worse people that think 7 is “average”.
Mar 13, 2023 8:06 AM

Mar 2023
I do not even look at the ratings for the most part.
Mar 13, 2023 8:06 AM

Sep 2008
Typically, I'll dabble into anime with mean scores between 6-7 because I'll often find hidden gems that may have some sort of divided reception among fans or are obscure enough where there isn't wide reception to them. Anything below an average of 6, I know for a fact it's largely going to be a bumpy ride watching through it.
Mar 13, 2023 8:11 AM

Jun 2017
I watch <7.00 shows but not very often but I read a lot of manga which is rated under 7.
If you have time to think of a beautiful end, then live beautifully until the end.
” -Gintoki Sakata
Mar 13, 2023 8:12 AM
May 2017
Watched a show with 6.5 rating and enjoyed it quite a lot. Rating on MAL on show what general people think. But general population can be wrong or the answer depends to if something was good or not is based on your enjoyment purely. 
Mar 13, 2023 8:12 AM

Apr 2013
Seems like most people pay the MAL score no mind, like I did until today. Guess that was to be expected, still interesting.

Mar 13, 2023 8:19 AM
Jul 2018
Guess I’ll be the contrarian here
I would never watch an anime rated below a 7 these days
I don’t have the time/patience to watch a mediocre show
Would much rather watch the mountain of shows in my PTW which I know I’ll definitely like
Mar 13, 2023 8:21 AM

Jul 2013
Gator said:
I think MAL does detect those bot scores though and filters them out in the overall score? At least I think that's how it works since the "Ishuzoku Reviewers" incident.

As a webdev by trade, I have not heard of or seen any infrastructure put into place to achieve this. And if they have, it may not apply retroactively to older series. But seeing as you already take the scores with a grain of salt it's all good
Mar 13, 2023 8:27 AM

May 2021
I don't care at all. For example, some of those old black-and-white anime shorts with cute animals are rated even below 6, which by MAL standards is very low, but I often found them to be quite endearing and interesting. That aside, sometimes my tastes align with what most people like and sometimes they don't, it's all situational and I don't use MAL scores as a guide when I choose what to watch (most of these scores have nothing to do with quality anyway and even if they did, there is still no guarantee that those particular anime series would click with me).
Mar 13, 2023 9:12 AM
cinnamon girl ♡

Apr 2021
i definitely hesitate but if the synopsis looks good i do jump into it afterall why should i trust rating on mal when shikimori is under 7 and no game no life above 8

Mar 13, 2023 9:18 AM

Apr 2013
Yaboyblunty said:
Guess I’ll be the contrarian here
I would never watch an anime rated below a 7 these days
I don’t have the time/patience to watch a mediocre show
Would much rather watch the mountain of shows in my PTW which I know I’ll definitely like

That's also what triggered me to look at my own shows, since some of the stuff below 7 I watched lately was quite boring and uninteresting. But I also have a hard time just dropping it once I started.
So you only have shows in your PTW list rated higher than 7? Because usually I just fill them with whatever looks interesting and so far I never thought about looking at the score first.

Imoutocore said:
As a webdev by trade, I have not heard of or seen any infrastructure put into place to achieve this. And if they have, it may not apply retroactively to older series. But seeing as you already take the scores with a grain of salt it's all good

While I am a software developer myself, I did not dig that much into MAL's technologies that much, so you might be right about that. At least if you look at some shows with a loooot of 1/10s, you notice that the overall score is actually not that bad. Might not be the case for older shows though, true.

-YaoiBoy- said:
I don't care at all. For example, some of those old black-and-white anime shorts with cute animals are rated even below 6, which by MAL standards is very low, but I often found them to be quite endearing and interesting. That aside, sometimes my tastes align with what most people like and sometimes they don't, it's all situational and I don't use MAL scores as a guide when I choose what to watch (most of these scores have nothing to do with quality anyway and even if they did, there is still no guarantee that those particular anime series would click with me).

Older anime have less watchers, I agree that those scores can be weird at times. Since I'm not into old anime, I don't really notice it that much I guess.
Of course personal taste never aligns with overall scoring, but I feel like a show doesn't get a really low score without something being fundamentally wrong with it. Though for some people that might be fanservice, which won't bother others.
Mar 13, 2023 9:24 AM

Aug 2018
Yes. Well, I have unpopular opinions quite often, so I don't like to rely too much on MyAnimeList rating to decide to watch a work or not. They can help me set expectations, but never decide whether to watch or not. I watched School Days, after all, and while I thought it was pretty bad, it's definitely not the antichrist or atrocity that so many people talk about and much of the score is tied to the emotional upheaval associated with betrayal and the characters in a plot of horror (and, of course, the bizarre and macabre ending). But School Days, in my opinion, is not even close to being worse than Kaifuku Jutsushi no Yarinaoshi, despite the second grade being higher. There are works that are not very well known in some seasons that receive a very low score, as is the case of Pet and, more recently this season, Hikari no Ou. Despite this, they are interesting niche plots and, in my opinion, better than some 7+ or 8+ works, so I don't see the reason to ignore them.
Mar 13, 2023 9:27 AM

Aug 2021
i generally find sixes to be more interesting than sevens
sevens are usually the lowest common denominator whereas sixes tend to have some feature that pissed off a whole bunch of people which gave the show angry 1s
so to me they might be more interesting as i like contentious stuff
Mar 13, 2023 9:28 AM

Feb 2013
i do care and also watch everything.. i feel unrepresented in the poll

5.xx shows tend to be more wild stuff
6.xx tends to be just extremely mid..

also for really obscure shorts and ovas.. 5.xx is kinda the expected rating..
should be treated totally differently from a 2010+ full length seasonal rated 5.xx
romagiaMar 13, 2023 9:32 AM
Mar 13, 2023 9:50 AM

Sep 2018
Gator said:
Hmm not sure what that means, you use the MAL score to find new shows, but still watch low-rated shows if you find them through other means?
Though with the general MAL score you don't know who the people were, unless you look at every single profile.
I mean that a high score may catch my interest, but a low rated anime can do the same for different reasons (interesting premise, word of mouth, animation studio and staff, score of the source material, etc.). 

I cannot know exactly who rated a certain anime, but after watching enough anime I can identify some patterns typical of the average MAL user. Underrating ecchi anime is one of those patterns, but there are more: short (I mean 3-12 mins episodes), unfinished, controversial, 3DCG, iyashikei, low member count anime are all underrated from my experience. 

I'll make an example to explain what I mean: 8.40 is a pretty high score for Houseki no Kuni (anime), so are 3DCG anime really underrated as I said above? After looking at the score of the source material, I noticed that a 8.96 manga like HnK resulted in a first season of the anime rated 8.40; a comparable action series like Made in Abyss went from 8.78 (manga) to 8.66 (s1 anime). Both adaptations are considered quite good, but the difference in the score between 2D and 3D is noticeable. 
Mar 13, 2023 9:57 AM
Feb 2023
Always, never pay attention to ratings cause you can miss out on a gem that hits emotionally to your preferences. 
Mar 13, 2023 10:07 AM

Jan 2021
For the most part, score has no influence on me, although if it's rated higher than 8.50, or lower than 7.00, then I do give that some consideration. But if it's 7.00 to 8.50, then not really. Opinions in the population will vary by a lot, but if a large portion of the population likes or does not like an anime, then they're probably up to something.

I don't think I've ever seen an anime rated below 6.00.

This only applies to new anime. For season 2 etc., whether it's rated 9.50 or 5.50 probably won't influence my decision to watch it.
Mar 13, 2023 10:12 AM

Apr 2021
Yes I do I recently watched inazuma eleven, my childhood anime, and it was better than I remembered it.

Mar 13, 2023 10:19 AM
Oct 2019
I don't look at a show's score on MAL before watching it.
Mar 13, 2023 10:31 AM

Jul 2019
Two of my leading criteria for picking random non seasonals are, Is it rated R+ and does it have a loli as one of the main characters. If the answer to both of these questions is yes, then it likely doesn't have a rating over 7. >:3c

On a more serious note, when I first got into anime, I basically just sorted by the highest rated, and watched what everyone else seemed to think was good. But as I started to learn what my tastes were, I started venturing into more lesser-known shows, and even watching anime seasonally, which has led me to a lot of great series that weren't the highest rated. 
Mar 13, 2023 11:02 AM

Aug 2018
MAL overrates anime, not the other way around. So low scores are usually more trustworthy than high ones. I've watched a few 6s and almost always agree with the rating. 6 is not a bad score, just temper your expectations or you will be disappointed.

it's those 8s and 9s you gotta watch out for. Those I take with a grain of salt.
Mar 13, 2023 11:05 AM

Sep 2021
no I don't give that much of a shit about MAL ratings 
Mar 13, 2023 11:10 AM
Dec 2017
yep and if you seek validation over how high your score/ranking your favorite series has or how much it sold or whatever else it may be then yeah, you need to fucking game over yourself irl right away because nobody at all with a brain would care about how that kind of stuff at all be it online or specially offline.

Mar 13, 2023 11:12 AM

Jan 2021
I don't really take MAL score into consideration when picking a show. So long as it looks interesting then I'll give it a shot.
Sometimes it takes a real man to be best girl. Gilgamesh is also chad.

[/center]
Mar 13, 2023 11:15 AM
Aug 2021
Definitely, Cause people have diff taste on everything so why not just watch it yourself and see how it is.. Dont care bout scores just watch the series 

Mar 13, 2023 11:16 AM
May 2021
I usually put anything "I" rate 6 or less into my "dropped" list, but that doesn't stop me from watching it.

I only do that because I like to have my list specific to go through to rewatch, or go back and continue with.

MAL's ratings are subjective IMO anyway, besides just because someone's opinion differs, doesn't mean much really, unless they have a unique perspective to a certain series.

I can't let someone else's opinion stop me from watching something, it just ain't happening.

On the other hand, I've watched anime that people will suck off and swallow (Love to death), but I might find it boring or I'll watch it and end up up just not liking it.

In the end ratings mean squat.
Mar 13, 2023 11:22 AM

Dec 2022
Don't think the average person on this website shares the same likes and dislikes as me, so no.
This is your reminder to drink water 💦 or eat some fruit  🍒 🥝
Mar 13, 2023 11:24 AM
#borntoboil

Jan 2021
imagine caring about scores lmao
no offense but the entire system is rigged
is it really worf to put things in here like nobody reads these

discord ~ ganjimex

Mar 13, 2023 11:33 AM

Jan 2021
Very rarely, I focus more on the reviews than overall rating though

If there is a good-written review that is in favor of a poorly rated anime I will watch it
Mar 13, 2023 11:42 AM

Jul 2021
Ratings have never stopped me from watching a show before, but they do have a very small influence when I'm deciding on which show to watch next.
Mar 13, 2023 11:48 AM

Apr 2013
Mar 13, 2023 11:54 AM

Mar 2021
While I don't really care about MAL ratings, I do use them as a rough estimate of how good a show is. It might not drop a show completely because of its rating, but I might choose a show over it due to score differences. I guess in general, I watch stuff over 7.

The only time I make choices based on score alone is when choosing seasonal shows to watch. I don't watch weekly and instead binge shows once they finish airing. I simply don't have the time to watch every seasonal show that comes out. Along with the fact that I have a backlog of older shows I also want to watch, I choose a selection of shows to watch each season based almost entirely on score. Right now, I'm sticking to shows 7.5 (which is what voted for on the poll) and higher, minus some exceptions. 
Mar 13, 2023 11:54 AM
作画

Nov 2019
sometimes, there are some crazy little OVAs with <7.00 scores out there that are worth checking
Mar 13, 2023 12:20 PM

Sep 2007
AnimePedestrian said:
I don't really take MAL score into consideration when picking a show. So long as it looks interesting then I'll give it a shot.
Pretty much the same here, but I do keep it in mind though. I generally do some research and such before picking up a show if it'll be enjoyably or not.
Mar 13, 2023 12:20 PM

Apr 2013
fyrflys said:
While I don't really care about MAL ratings, I do use them as a rough estimate of how good a show is. It might not drop a show completely because of its rating, but I might choose a show over it due to score differences. I guess in general, I watch stuff over 7.

The only time I make choices based on score alone is when choosing seasonal shows to watch. I don't watch weekly and instead binge shows once they finish airing. I simply don't have the time to watch every seasonal show that comes out. Along with the fact that I have a backlog of older shows I also want to watch, I choose a selection of shows to watch each season based almost entirely on score. Right now, I'm sticking to shows 7.5 (which is what voted for on the poll) and higher, minus some exceptions. 

That sounds like a good idea, if I had to decide between two shows which seem the same grad of good to me, I'd also go for the higher score or more popular one.
The problem of time is why I asked this question in the first place, since I "only" watch 4 episodes a day at max and I want them to be enjoyable. I guess depending on how much time you have on your hands, a rating of 7.5+ at worst seems valid.
Mar 13, 2023 12:23 PM

Dec 2022
Because of the way MAL calculates scores, series with fewer ratings have scores that are less representative of (and lower than) the community's actual opinion.
https://myanimelist.net/info.php?go=topanime
I find that on popular series the score is essentially accurate, so I do take it into account somewhat. Although, on obscure series it's essentially meaningless.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Do You Consider Yourself a Generous or a Harsh Scorer?

Alpha_1_Zero - 1 hour ago

11 by ggultra2764 »»
8 seconds ago

» Why is there no Manga chapters at the top info when Anime have it?

Tongmuan - 3 hours ago

2 by Tongmuan »»
3 minutes ago

» Why are so many ecchi enjoyers overweight?

EverRealm - Yesterday

38 by Kenzolo-folk »»
4 minutes ago

» If MAL didn't exist

Alpha_1_Zero - 2 hours ago

23 by pabloog »»
6 minutes ago

» Why do so many MAL users defend loli hentai?

EverRealm - 21 minutes ago

4 by APolygons2 »»
6 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.