Forum Settings
Forums

Do you believe there's an age where if you haven't become an anime fan yet, you never will?

New
If you didn't get into anime as a kid/teen, does it make you less likely to get into it as an adult?
Feb 7, 2023 9:43 AM

Jun 2017
Just curious because most of the fans i knew got into it as kids and most of the adults in my life i tried getting to watch anime hated it with a passion. Like my parents were pretty tolerant of what cartoons i watched, they'd watch spongebob and all that stuff with me but when it came time for DBZ or Yugioh to come on, they hated it or made me turn it off.

(I don't mean an age limit, moreso just something you have to get into as a kid to understand the appeal)
My waifu is the most wonderful waifu. Mai Valentine.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Feb 7, 2023 9:46 AM

Sep 2018
As long as you like hot girls, you will likely continue to like anime so no.  
Feb 7, 2023 9:55 AM

Oct 2018
The limit is 14 y.o, it's similar to enjoying Harry Potter, if you haven't started when you were a kid, you won't be able to get into it.
If you're a fanboy, please don't waste my time.

Watch more movies, please.

Kafka, Fu Xuan, Jingliu, Topaz and Huohuo.
Feb 7, 2023 9:56 AM

May 2019
i don't think a 60 to 80 year old person would suddenly become an anime fan.
Feb 7, 2023 9:57 AM
Phosphophyllita said:
The limit is 14 y.o, it's similar to enjoying Harry Potter, if you haven't started when you were a kid, you won't be able to get into it.
I was exactly 14 when I got into anime so yeah.
I guess 13 and 15 are also quite ideal
Feb 7, 2023 9:59 AM
Oct 2022
I didn’t get into anime until I was 19 almost 20 and now it’s one of my favourite mediums
Feb 7, 2023 10:00 AM

Dec 2014
I didn't start until I was 17, good thing I'm a 14 year old at heart I guess.
Feb 7, 2023 10:01 AM

Aug 2022
Depends. I guess the main anime that a new viewer sees when tryna get into the medium is shonen, isekai, and mainstream shows in general which mainly consist of anime targeted towards children and teens. 

It would definitely be harder but not impossible as an adult.
Feb 7, 2023 10:04 AM

May 2015
Phosphophyllita said:

I am pretty sure I am not the only member on this site who didn't watch anime at all when they were 14. As a matter of fact, I don't remember watching anime when I was a teenager.
Feb 7, 2023 10:06 AM
Jul 2018
I wonder who else only started watching at age 30 like me so it is possible.
Feb 7, 2023 10:08 AM

Sep 2020
I think I'll always be into anime no matter when I start watching it.
Feb 7, 2023 10:09 AM

Feb 2020
Not really. Age is simply numbers......
Feb 7, 2023 10:13 AM
Oct 2020
I don't think so. The one who always watched or had a knack of watching DBZ, Pokemon and Naruto in childhood would always come back to anime no matter what
Feb 7, 2023 10:18 AM
Dec 2021
started at 25 when I grew out of partying and getting wasted lol
I was always a nerd tho, played competitive pokemon cards for many years.
Feb 7, 2023 10:24 AM

Nov 2022
I started watching anime in earnest at age 30 so yea, age is just a number
Feb 7, 2023 10:25 AM

Aug 2011
I think people are definitely less and less likely to get into anime as they get older (though I think this is mostly due to factors that don't have to do with anime itself), but I don't believe there's an age where it becomes impossible. My mom is in her late 60s, and she started watching anime 3 years ago. She enjoyed it immediately, and she still watches at least 1 episode a day before bed as part of her routine. She finished the second season of 86 yesterday, she's starting the third season of Natsume Yuujinchou today, and she's really excited to see the Kaguya-sama move in theaters next week.
Feb 7, 2023 10:31 AM

May 2018
Dunno. I started watching anime at 20. Many people start even later.

Feb 7, 2023 10:32 AM

Aug 2020
Can't answer for the others. But I started early and then gave a big break, just returning in the year I created this account.

Feb 7, 2023 10:32 AM

Aug 2018
I got my mom into anime. she loves it and she's in her 60s. But I can't convince any of my much younger RL friends to give it a try.
Feb 7, 2023 10:37 AM

Aug 2021
perfectionFound said:
started at 25 when I grew out of partying and getting wasted lol
I was always a nerd tho, played competitive pokemon cards for many years.

REAL BROOO

started at 23 right when i got out of rehab; no raves for me its all anime now lmao

i was like i need something new man, something kinda quirky, but something that i can do in my free time, maybe even trying to feel a part of a subculture again or something. i chose anime; i literally decided "i will get into this, this will be good for me"
and it was a good decision, kinda like a hobby of mine now, im not bored out my mind, this new thing in my life, it excites me, anime i mean
Feb 7, 2023 10:48 AM

Aug 2018
tomasowa said:
To be fair, it all comes down to interpretation.

The simplest analogy would be songs on TikTok; most have emotional lyrics but they become viral around the World because of their hilarious interpretations on the social media application.
So content messaging can be a separate thing to its interpretation which can also add to its mainstream appeal.

Generalising anime tends be categorising the viewership as children whilst omitting the fact creators of franchises are adults, some of who are older than most on this forum.
The only place content for children are created by children is in a classroom. Or TikTok.

With that in mind, it is not a case of age per se but rather age-appropriateness of content to viewer.

Most of anime held in high regard here rely on rudimentary understanding of philosophy, coated with gratuitous shock value but capped at the intellectual level of a teenager.
These would include every so-called edgy title that gets glorified in Posts of late.
A sensible adult would be able to see this and feel both patronised and bemused at the sub-par intellectual pursuit on offer, myself included.

Other anime, however, are created with full understanding of the immature nature of their realities but does not try to pass it off as four-dimensional chess.
A good example is Lucky☆Star and its daily teenage life skits, from the standpoint of teenage intellect.
A sensible adult can understand the logic, may even have gone through a similar period, and will enjoy the humour.

Interestingly, there also seems to be a correlation within their art styles.
Simplistic art usually equated as childish seem to be the preferred medium for more mature-minded messaging.
Elaborate and detailed art, however, seem to be the preferred fluff for the most infantile-logic tropes ...

I'd give this post of yours a thumbs up if MAL had such a feature. Reminds me of a quote by CS Lewis

When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.

Feb 7, 2023 10:52 AM

Jun 2017
If I were 60, my reaction to anime would be like 'what the fuck are these Chinese cartoons for pedos?!' and I would be right.
If you have time to think of a beautiful end, then live beautifully until the end.
” -Gintoki Sakata
Feb 7, 2023 10:55 AM

Mar 2021
I think it depends but mostly yes
I got into anime when i was in the 9-10 year range and became a "big fan" from the age of 12-13 ig
I would hv still liked anime even if i watched it as a 26 or 39 year old although it would be with significantly less attachment yo this medium.

Apparently there is a thing where as your age increases you are less likely to try out new things or sum shit
Feb 7, 2023 1:09 PM

Mar 2013
I believe it depends on the story of the anime, I believe that something more adult can attract.
Feb 7, 2023 1:25 PM

Jul 2021
Phosphophyllita said:

Nah, the only anime I watched as a kid was Pokémon and Yugioh, and those two don't count.
Feb 7, 2023 1:38 PM

Apr 2012
Most people at some point in their life will lose the ability to appreciate things wildly different to what they're already familiar with, so the chance of someone getting into anime reduces as they get older, but the age at which this happens varies wildly and it doesn't even have to happen ever.
Feb 7, 2023 1:48 PM

Jul 2021
epidemia78 said:

When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.

As for me the excessive over reliance on children in anime made me borderline allergic to high school.
Feb 7, 2023 3:58 PM

Aug 2018
JaniSIr said:
epidemia78 said:

As for me the excessive over reliance on children in anime made me borderline allergic to high school.

I think you are just allergic to anime tropes in general. most characters don't act like actual kids or any different from the adults. Violet Evergarden is supposed to be 14 or something? She could have been aged 22 and it'd make no difference.
Feb 7, 2023 4:35 PM

Jul 2021
epidemia78 said:
JaniSIr said:

I think you are just allergic to anime tropes in general. most characters don't act like actual kids or any different from the adults. Violet Evergarden is supposed to be 14 or something? She could have been aged 22 and it'd make no difference.
They kind of act exactly as adult as the plot demands it. Like they are both a 60 years old war veteran at the age of 14, and a loser kid who can't talk to girls...
Yea, she's 14, but if they don't actually tell her age, I'd just assume she's simply short. lol
Feb 7, 2023 4:56 PM

Mar 2018
I didn’t get into anime until well into college
Feb 7, 2023 5:22 PM
Jul 2018
palm-tree said:
I think people are definitely less and less likely to get into anime as they get older (though I think this is mostly due to factors that don't have to do with anime itself), but I don't believe there's an age where it becomes impossible. My mom is in her late 60s, and she started watching anime 3 years ago. She enjoyed it immediately, and she still watches at least 1 episode a day before bed as part of her routine. She finished the second season of 86 yesterday, she's starting the third season of Natsume Yuujinchou today, and she's really excited to see the Kaguya-sama move in theaters next week.
This is so pure, protect her at all costs
Feb 7, 2023 5:23 PM

Oct 2020
I feel like its unlikely once you get out of high school and if you don't watch anime by the time you're 24/25 you'll never like anime 
Feb 7, 2023 5:36 PM

Feb 2021
I don't think there is. A lot of my friends started getting into anime during lockdown (2020). They may not be a big fan of the medium, but they watch anime from time to time even now. 
"Nobody could laugh at someone who's trying their hardest" -Machio-

Feb 7, 2023 5:42 PM
Jan 2018
The question was if an older person is less likely to get into anime and obvious answer is yes. With and without casuals, anime has taken up a ton of space in public opinion, and most of it is negative. Most adults aren't gonna give it a shot. 

The thing is, plenty of adults do. Because great storytelling exists everywhere, and a well told story is the best at breaking down barriers. As my teacher says "no one can resist a good story." The next step is finding a "good story" that is "good" to you. 

Tokyo Revengers is a shit story, and after a seasons worth of episodes, I'm pretty confident what the story is about. On the other end of the spectrum is Nomad: Megalo Box 2. One of the best stories I have ever had the pleasure to experience. It is a show any adult can enjoy. Kids who like more mature themes can enjoy it too.  Nomad is a great example that anime will always have great stories that don't only cater to kids. If you have patience, a great story will fall right into your lap.

To be honest, I look down on people that don't try new things or think for themselves, and being an adult for a lot of people should definitely consist of new things. But everyone doesn't have to think like me. And in some cases, they shouldn't. I may not agree, but I can certainly understand why a lot of adults don't want to give anime as a whole a chance. Plus the golden rule is always in effect. "Everything isn't meant for everybody."
Feb 7, 2023 5:53 PM
Jan 2018
tomasowa said:
To be fair, it all comes down to interpretation.

The simplest analogy would be songs on TikTok; most have emotional lyrics but they become viral around the World because of their hilarious interpretations on the social media application.
So content messaging can be a separate thing to its interpretation which can also add to its mainstream appeal.

Generalising anime tends be categorising the viewership as children whilst omitting the fact creators of franchises are adults, some of who are older than most on this forum.
The only place content for children are created by children is in a classroom. Or TikTok.

With that in mind, it is not a case of age per se but rather age-appropriateness of content to viewer.

Most of anime held in high regard here rely on rudimentary understanding of philosophy, coated with gratuitous shock value but capped at the intellectual level of a teenager.
These would include every so-called edgy title that gets glorified in Posts of late.
A sensible adult would be able to see this and feel both patronised and bemused at the sub-par intellectual pursuit on offer, myself included.

Other anime, however, are created with full understanding of the immature nature of their realities but does not try to pass it off as four-dimensional chess.
A good example is Lucky☆Star and its daily teenage life skits, from the standpoint of teenage intellect.
A sensible adult can understand the logic, may even have gone through a similar period, and will enjoy the humour.

Interestingly, there also seems to be a correlation within their art styles.
Simplistic art usually equated as childish seem to be the preferred medium for more mature-minded messaging.
Elaborate and detailed art, however, seem to be the preferred fluff for the most infantile-logic tropes ...
It's really easy for somebody to call a show infantile. It is indeed up to interpretation. My counterpoint is people are ridiculous and follow no rules or logic. Hallmark romance movies follow their own set of tired tropes just like anime. They are just as fantastical as anime, even without super powers and are broadly accepted by society. But those same fans of romantic comedies will look down on anime.

People always have reasons to look down anime. I'm not saying you do, but your arguments carry the same flavor of people who divide life into serious and tripe. When the real truth is all of us adults have childish whims we indulge in. 

Also anime in many instances absolutely is catered towards age groups of a certain demographic. I'm a 110% sure you know the reasons why, so I will skip a long winded explanation.

All that being said, you make many salient points. And I believe the main thrust of your argument is that there is an anime for everyone, and just because a lot of these shows are about nonsense doesn't mean the whole medium is. And in that I wholeheartedly agree.
Feb 7, 2023 6:34 PM

Jan 2013
There shouldn't be any problem getting into more "mature" anime, but trying to get a 30 yr old into some full blown weeb shit is another story. lol
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Feb 7, 2023 6:51 PM

Jul 2020
I became a fan around 40.  Now I’m 52 and can still fanboy with the best of them. ;)
Feb 7, 2023 8:29 PM

Oct 2014
Considering how old some people get into things I doubt there's a cutoff point. I don't think Grumpy Jii-san was watching Japanese black and white short films in his childhood.

I did get into anime as a teenager, but there's other things I've gotten into when I was older. There's no real age limit for hobbies. Also, considering how mainstream anime is now there's probably a lot of older people who casually started watching anime just because it was available and looked interesting.
Feb 7, 2023 8:49 PM

Jun 2007
No absolute age limit, but you're more likely to get into anime in your teens and 20s than you would be at older ages. Younger minds are open to new experience, and of course a lot of the storytelling, character demographics, and subject matter of anime are more relatable to those who are or recently were in that age range. And once you reach your 30s, you tend to have more responsibilities in terms of work, relationships, and childcare, which limits the time and mental energy you have to get into a new and foreign entertainment medium. And there's a lot to deal with that's second nature to hardcore anime viewers, whether it's dealing with anime's visual language, foreign names that're harder to remember, the possible need to read subtitles, and the terminology/vocabulary of the medium and the viewerbase culture. It's much easier to just put on something more familiar and convenient.

With music, they've scientifically mapped out that people tend to stop paying attention to new/popular music at age 31 or 32, so I'd put the "anime propensity dropoff point" somewhere between 30-35. Of course, it's not impossible for first-timers at those ages and beyond to see and enjoy some anime, but it's usually either the super-popular mainstream shows, or something that appeals to their specific interests -- not "Seasonal Cheat Skill Isekai Slave Harem Slow Life Anime #28."

I'd also remark that there's a bit more chance of much older people in places like the USA appreciating anime than in decades past, since those who grew up during or in the immediate shadow of World War II were more likely to see Japan as "The Enemy," a place that was either sinister and evil, or foolish and backwards. Or maybe both.

Feb 7, 2023 9:56 PM

Dec 2013
It's not age, it's about a person's preconception. If they are prejudiced towards something, they likely won't give it the chance it deserves.
Feb 8, 2023 7:43 AM
Oct 2021
my father became a more “immersed” anime fan in his late 30’s

However he already liked anime before that,he just didn’t watch it all the time,now he’s always watching anime 

Note:he also liked anime way before that,he also had read manga so there’s that too
Feb 8, 2023 7:51 AM

Oct 2021
Imagine a Grandma watching anime. ........You done yet?
Young_ForeverFeb 8, 2023 7:56 AM
Feb 8, 2023 7:55 AM

Apr 2022
I honestly don’t really think age matters. 

One of my best friends was a huge anime hater for some time and in his late 20s he decided to give anime a try. He ended up liking attack on Titan and demon slayer.
Feb 8, 2023 8:13 AM

Jun 2019
For people who take all their cues on how to live, talk, and think down to cultivation of their own interests based on the dominant trends of their biological age and age brackets (along with other groupings such as nationality/national culture, sex, etc.), and treat them as sacred directives they internalize to the hilt, sure.

It's not something I ever related to even from the youngest age from my the time of my earliest conscious living memory at 2 1/2 years-old.

Questions like whether any given person will give anything, not just anime, a chance, and the degree to which engagement in such things by those individuals is inversely correlated with any tangible downsides (such as primarily and most importantly, physical danger and health effects) is more a matter of the degree to which the person in question is reflexively tribalistic, prejudiced, and closed-minded.Which many people are even at the youngest possible ages.
WatchTillTandavaFeb 8, 2023 8:22 AM
Feb 8, 2023 8:19 AM

Jan 2019
It's not black and white, just different shades of grey.
Be happy with what you have to be happy with
Feb 8, 2023 10:23 AM
Jan 2018
tomasowa said:
MFDOOMED said:
When the real truth is all of us adults have childish whims we indulge in.

This summary that you feel you came to by yourself in your Reply is what the Quote of my initial Reply instantly understood as the main thrust of my argument, as you put it.
Unfortunately, you haven't the same grasp of what I said as they do, but that may be just a matter of time and language comprehension.

As such, here is a watered-down and simpler explanation that I can provide.
The caveat here would be an understanding of the difference between maturity in storyline and mature content.

Most people here look down on childish anime as they huff and puff and pretend to be mature but miss the maturity of said story.
Some people, including myself, look down on anime that pretend to be mature but is infantile with gratuitous mature content ...
I would say NGE is a great example of "mature content" that is definitely not the nuanced character study people pretend it to be. I stand on that.

It is all a difference in opinion. But having the temerity to attempt a mature and thoughtful storyline ultimately means more than being successful in my eyes at the end of the day. A lot of great anime are unsuccessful at what they try to do. Like NGE, an anime with two very different sequels created by a man who wanted people to connect. It's failure doesn't take away the attempt Anno made. 

I agree with you about dismissing great anime because they are "childish." But I don't see much of a difference in looking down on an anime because of it's failure. Obviously, shows like Attack on Titan deserve the flak they get for not being as mature as they pretend to be. But imo, it's fundamentally ill-considered to put down a writer's attempt to fulfill their goals. 

The tone of your missive is very similar to the worst parts of high academia. Those people are some of the worst. If anything, my disgust of those people may be incorrectly directed at you. If so, then I apologize. 

Feb 8, 2023 10:35 AM

Jun 2019
For me it was the opposite way around. I started watching kids tv on a black and white set until I was about 7. So when I saw cartoons in colour I thought they were amazing, but I only saw cartoons on Saturday morning tv here in the UK as we didn't have satellite tv. If I'd had access to the internet or satellite tv (Toonami, Cartoon Network, Nickelodeon etc) I would likely have loved anime, but I didn't, so it wasn't until I was an adult and had the chance to explore anime that I fell in love with it. Part of my love for anime, especially shows like One Piece is indulging my inner child who wasn't able to experience these shows.
Feb 8, 2023 10:37 AM
Jul 2018
I mean fuck I fucking loathed anime seeing it as some overrated stupid shit after seeing DBZ scenes with my hispanic school friends but no after I saw parasyte:the maxim when I was 17 fucking hell I finally genuinely liked it 
Feb 8, 2023 11:31 AM
KDE Plasma

Jun 2012
I think this is like every other aspect, too. As you grow up you have established yourself a own environment, interest field, hobby spectrum. The further a new aspect is from your original environment/hobby spectrum the less likely it will awake a interest of you.
The older the people become the less likely they will pick an interest in new things or even try to learn new things.

It is really hard though to find the exact spot of age, I would say it depends more on the individual character of said person.
Feb 8, 2023 11:38 AM

Jun 2017
Axerix_DeezNutz said:
I mean fuck I fucking loathed anime seeing it as some overrated stupid shit after seeing DBZ scenes with my hispanic school friends but no after I saw parasyte:the maxim when I was 17 fucking hell I finally genuinely liked it 
Parasyte got me into anime too! Good old times.
If you have time to think of a beautiful end, then live beautifully until the end.
” -Gintoki Sakata
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18?

bluefin2004 - Today

39 by Kenzolo-folk »»
4 minutes ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 3 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

131 by APolygons2 »»
5 minutes ago

» Is there hope for classic super robots?

Timeline_man - 1 hour ago

1 by Serafos »»
19 minutes ago

» Describe an anime in a funny way.

NOTAGLOWIE - Mar 2, 2022

33 by AverageRiceFan »»
21 minutes ago

» Anime Openings with Sound Effects

_MushiRock11_ - Mar 28

11 by AverageRiceFan »»
24 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.