Forum Settings
Forums

Shounen and Seinen are the Same EXACT Thing

New
Oct 25, 2022 6:17 AM

Apr 2018
Imagine claiming something is more adult than another just because it is tagged with "Seinen" when the lines are already blurred and always had been. Both "genres" have its fair share of deep, mundane, braindead series. There are no difference. Also, the target audience for both are still young men. Meaning the two terms are just synonyms.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Oct 25, 2022 6:20 AM

Jul 2016
How are you able to keep making banger threads like these?
Oct 25, 2022 6:45 AM

Jun 2016
No look: 少年 青年
Totally different.
Although 青 can actually sound the same as 少 in some cases (not these words) because japanese is weird but even that reading was different some years ago.
Compare pre 1940s orthography
しやうfor 青 and せう for 少.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Oct 25, 2022 6:45 AM

Feb 2022
i agree they're both trash. This is why i prefer josei to these.
Oct 25, 2022 6:48 AM

Jan 2013
ChouunShiryuu said:
Ah, I can see why you restrict your list.
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Oct 25, 2022 6:49 AM

May 2020
Your honor, by the law of sex equality I therefore conclude that lolis are the same as JKs, the defense rests.
Oct 25, 2022 6:55 AM

Feb 2022
LostSpectre said:
ChouunShiryuu said:
Ah, I can see why you restrict your list.

I feel a clear lack of trust here #hurt&offended
Oct 25, 2022 7:03 AM

May 2019
I'm actually impressed by your ability to conjure up such threads.
Oct 25, 2022 7:47 AM

Aug 2018
huh tbh im just innit for the hentai.

Oct 25, 2022 8:17 AM

Sep 2018
They aren't literally the same since it's a matter of semantics, but if you mean that "the majority of manga that became successful in a shounen magazine, could have been successful also if they had been published in a seinen one instead", that's very true. The opposite is a bit harder since some CGDCT are seinen.
NirinboOct 25, 2022 8:21 AM
Oct 25, 2022 10:39 AM

Aug 2010
Nirinbo said:
They aren't literally the same since it's a matter of semantics, but if you mean that "the majority of manga that became successful in a shounen magazine, could have been successful also if they had been published in a seinen one instead", that's very true. The opposite is a bit harder since some CGDCT are seinen.

This, I'm just going to +1 on this guy's response.
https://combosmooth.itch.io/ - I make free-to-play browser games for PC and I sell pixel art animation here
Oct 25, 2022 12:08 PM
Oct 2019
Shounen and seinen are just labels don't actually mean much. They refer to the demographic that a manga magazine is aimed at, but they don't mean anything for the specific manga.

To illustrate how pointless the labels are: Attack on Titan is shounen and No Game No Life is seinen. Usually, people associate seinen with dark, gritty, depressing series like Berserk and Vinland Saga, so you wouldn't expect something as bright, colorful, and upbeat as No Game No Life to be a seinen series. Especially with as much fanservice as it has, something that you see more often in shounen manga, but both of the series' manga adaptations ran in Kadokawa's monthly comic alive magazine, which is a seinen magazine, therefor it's seinen.
Oct 25, 2022 12:48 PM

Oct 2010
I am pretty sure than seinen magazines cost more because they are intended for young men, sure boys can read seinen but it's japan, they rarely use pirated sites
in principle you are right but still, these are legit demographics to segment the audience, you will rarely see nipples in shounen (tehn again, look at ohtaka shinobu manga, she blesses us with nipples since sumomomo) but you will always see nipples in seinen
Oct 25, 2022 1:32 PM

Sep 2022
One's intended to be read and watched by teenagers, the other is intended to be read and watched by young adults. There's no need to overcomplicate things.
Oct 26, 2022 11:59 PM

Apr 2022
ChouunShiryuu said:

Neither your avatar or signature are josei.
I may make you feel but I can't make you think.

Oct 27, 2022 12:07 AM

May 2018
"Shounen and Seinen are the Same EXACT Thing"

Monster and Legend Of the Galactic Heroes disagree - a battle shounen fan wouldn't touch those even with a ten-foot pole.
Oct 27, 2022 12:16 AM

Aug 2022
alshu said:
"Shounen and Seinen are the Same EXACT Thing"

Monster and Legend Of the Galactic Heroes disagree - a battle shounen fan wouldn't touch those even with a ten-foot pole.
monster is pretty popular among battle shounen fan
Oct 27, 2022 2:49 AM

May 2018
DeOnePieceIsReal said:

Not really. Monster is only beloved by elitists...who actually dislike it, but pretend to look more sophisticated.
Oct 27, 2022 2:54 AM

May 2018
nevbolp said:
alshu said:

Not really. Monster is only beloved by elitists...who actually dislike it, but pretend to look more sophisticated.

I see you are talking about yourself as if someone else.

All of the sudden I am accused of linking Monster? Or even of pretending to like it?
Oct 27, 2022 3:13 AM

Oct 2013
Imagine arguing about wether monster are good or great.

Anyway, why watching shonen and seinen when you can watch hentai?
Oct 27, 2022 3:19 AM

Mar 2018
Seinen has more loli and CGDCT shows, therefore it's much better. Don't care for fake seinen which is just shounen but darker, real men like lolis.
Oct 27, 2022 3:32 AM
Jul 2018
Vogel100 said:
Seinen has more loli and CGDCT shows, therefore it's much better. Don't care for fake seinen which is just shounen but darker, real men like lolis.

Vogel100 sees the light and follows the true path :)
Oct 27, 2022 3:56 AM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
That's what I used to think before, but then I watched more anime and realized I was way off..

Oct 27, 2022 4:34 AM

Feb 2022
LoveScope said:
ChouunShiryuu said:

Neither your avatar or signature are josei.

i am a bit shy about the whole thing...

Oct 27, 2022 4:42 AM

Jan 2020
Sir I know your argument, but that does not keep you safe from the FBI from assaulting a 14 year old boy.
MOKUSHI KUSHIMO SHIMOKU KUMOSHI MOSHIKU SHIKUMO.
Oct 27, 2022 5:04 AM

Feb 2019
They are both in fact different cause Seinen doesn't just mean the series is "more adult"
alshu said:
DeOnePieceIsReal said:

Some people (lots) funnily enough do like it, maybe idk, get over it? 🤷

『ᴅᴇᴍᴏɴ-ʟɪᴋᴇ ᴊᴜᴅɢᴇ ᴏꜰ ꜰɪʀᴇ』

Then her jaw slackened as she muttered out.
[I... am the bi◼️?]

☽ † ☾
- ᴅᴇʟɪᴠᴇʀɪᴇꜱ
- ꜱɪɢ ᴍᴀᴅᴇ ʙʏ ʜᴜᴍᴀɴᴛᴡɪɢ

Oct 27, 2022 5:34 AM

May 2018
humantwig said:
Some people (lots) funnily enough do like it

How do you even know in a society where personal taste doesn't exist: hype, peer pressure, people who gatekeep you while complaining against geatkeeping.

humantwig said:
get over it?

To me it's not a problem, the pressure and the faking is on those guys.
Oct 27, 2022 5:50 AM

Mar 2020
Some takes here are wonderful as always
Oct 27, 2022 6:03 AM

Nov 2019
Just read hentai dialogues and you will love Shounen and Seinen again.
Help! I need somebody. Help! Not just anybody. Help! You know I need someone. Helpppppp!

Oct 27, 2022 7:14 AM

Dec 2018
alshu said:
DeOnePieceIsReal said:

This is actually the correct opinion. People with Johan pfp *think* they understand Johan, but in reality they don't because he's way too simple and archetypical to be properly understood.
. . .
Oct 27, 2022 7:53 AM

May 2018
Preachee said:
This is actually the correct opinion.

Wait, but I was joking...more of a parody how people see the so called elitists.
Oct 27, 2022 8:22 AM
Oct 2019
nevbolp said:
ShatteredSans said:
Shounen and seinen are just labels don't actually mean much. They refer to the demographic that a manga magazine is aimed at, but they don't mean anything for the specific manga.

To illustrate how pointless the labels are: Attack on Titan is shounen and No Game No Life is seinen. Usually, people associate seinen with dark, gritty, depressing series like Berserk and Vinland Saga, so you wouldn't expect something as bright, colorful, and upbeat as No Game No Life to be a seinen series. Especially with as much fanservice as it has, something that you see more often in shounen manga, but both of the series' manga adaptations ran in Kadokawa's monthly comic alive magazine, which is a seinen magazine, therefor it's seinen.

That's not really a good comparison tbh, Aot is an originally shonen manga whereas No Game No Life manga is a spin-off adaptation of a light novel, and it has a oneshot spin-off that is shonen. Not to mention, Vinland Saga started publishing in a shonen magazine and later switched to a seinen magazine, probably because the adult oriented themes and the plot got more serious as it progressed.

Still, while it's true a shonen manga can have serious and darker themes and a seinen manga can have lots of fanservice or upbeat comedy, when we compare the contents of manga that are seinen and shonen we see the more adult intended themes are in majority in seinen ones whereas more easily accessible and fun themes are majority in shonen ones. So, the demographics are not completely useless and they are an indicator of the contents of the specified manga to some degree in most cases, like the example of Vinland Saga.

That's not entirely true. No Game No Life has two manga adaptations, one of which is considered a "spin-off" adaptation despite being an adaptation of volumes 2 and 3 of the light novel, purely because it isn't being done by Yuu Kamiya and his wife, whereas the other never finished adapting volume 1. Both of these ran in a seinen magazine, and one of them was originally going to be the source material for the anime, if it hadn't stopped so abruptly in the middle of the first volume of the light novels. (Yuu Kamiya even said in the afterwords of one of the volumes that the anime is based off the manga version). Also, another slight correction: the other spin-off manga wasn't a one shot because it had 4 volumes, each with 5 chapters. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe a one shot is either one chapter or one volume.

Still, it might not be the best comparison, but it's one that gets my point across. That point being that the shounen and seinen labels don't really mean much for a specific manga, they refer to the main demographic of a manga magazine, but some seinen series can be more like something that you'd expect to see in a shounen magazine, and some shounen series can be more like something that you'd expect to see in a seinen magazine. It doesn't make either of them "light seinen" though (which is a term that I've seen some people unironically use to refer to series like Jujutsu Kaisen, Attack on Titan, and Chainsaw Man), because those terms refer to the magazines they run in, not the specific manga running in the magazines.
Oct 27, 2022 9:05 AM

Oct 2013
Dude, I don't really care either way. I'm just in this for the big dumb fights and the boobage and the occasional giant robots.
FanofActionOct 27, 2022 9:09 AM
Oct 27, 2022 9:05 AM

Jul 2014
Yes Dravegard, Berserk and Naruto are made for the same exact public
Nice bait btw
Oct 27, 2022 9:11 AM

Jul 2015
Something like Gunnm probably stands somewhere in the middle, blurring the lines between shonen and seinen. But on the other hand... Digimon is not Undercurrent, and vice-versa. Pretty sure your average 30yo is not going to be super attracted to Digimon, and I'm sure 6yo me would have thought Undercurrent was a really boring manga (Some woman who runs a public bath and looks for her missing husband? That's it? boooooring.).

So no, seinen =/= shonen. That seemed kinda obvious. Now, the seinen that get adapted into anime... Yeah, I can see why you'd think that. Truth is, the more adult seinens just don't get adaptations.
Oct 27, 2022 9:15 AM

Oct 2013
xNyan said:
Yes Dravegard, Berserk and Naruto are made for the same exact public
Nice bait btw

I mean, they both have characters carrying around over-sized weapons and feature some kind of supernatural elements with mcs who both want to get stronger to protect someone or something. Totally the same thing. Just like BoJack Horseman and My Little Pony are the exact same because both feature talking horses.
Oct 27, 2022 9:22 AM

Dec 2018
alshu said:
Preachee said:
This is actually the correct opinion.

Wait, but I was joking...more of a parody how people see the so called elitists.

Yeah no shit you were joking :D
But ig it doesn't matter
. . .
Oct 27, 2022 9:57 AM
Oct 2019
nevbolp said:
ShatteredSans said:

That's not entirely true. No Game No Life has two manga adaptations, one of which is considered a "spin-off" adaptation despite being an adaptation of volumes 2 and 3 of the light novel, purely because it isn't being done by Yuu Kamiya and his wife, whereas the other never finished adapting volume 1. Both of these ran in a seinen magazine, and one of them was originally going to be the source material for the anime, if it hadn't stopped so abruptly in the middle of the first volume of the light novels. (Yuu Kamiya even said in the afterwords of one of the volumes that the anime is based off the manga version). Also, another slight correction: the other spin-off manga wasn't a one shot because it had 4 volumes, each with 5 chapters. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe a one shot is either one chapter or one volume.

Still, it might not be the best comparison, but it's one that gets my point across. That point being that the shounen and seinen labels don't really mean much for a specific manga, they refer to the main demographic of a manga magazine, but some seinen series can be more like something that you'd expect to see in a shounen magazine, and some shounen series can be more like something that you'd expect to see in a seinen magazine. It doesn't make either of them "light seinen" though (which is a term that I've seen some people unironically use to refer to series like Jujutsu Kaisen, Attack on Titan, and Chainsaw Man), because those terms refer to the magazines they run in, not the specific manga running in the magazines.

How nice of you to completely ignore the second part of my post and repeat yourself like a parrot. And you don't seem to realize that but any manga adaptation of a light novel is considered a spin-off by default, so there is no one "spin-off" and one "adaptation". And by one shot I was referring to this https://www.mangaupdates.com/series/35qbhit/no-game-no-life-zero

I completely forgot about that one shot tbh. I also didn't know that manga adaptations of light novels are considered spin-offs by default. That's kinda weird, but whatever, and I didn't ignore the second half of your comment, I just didn't have much to say in response. The demographics obviously aren't entirely pointless, if that was the case they wouldn't exist at all, but the labels aren't ALWAYS an indicator of the contents of a specific manga. In many cases, sure, but in the case of something like Attack on Titan or Chainsaw Man, these are series that easily could've been seinen if they were running in a seinen magazine, to the point that people who are unaware that Attack on Titan ran in a shounen magazine may confuse AoT for a seinen manga, and many have in the past (at least, on Twitter).

Tbh, I mostly just say this because I get annoyed seeing people say shit like "Attack on Titan isn't shounen, it's light seinen because it tackles mature themes", or saying the same about JuJutsu Kaisen, or Chainsaw Man, or any other new gen shounen manga that isn't bright and colorful. I hate when people make up terms for things that don't exist because they don't want to accept reality
Oct 27, 2022 10:15 AM
Aug 2021
It's literally just who is the target demographic, I don't get why people act like there's more to it.
Oct 27, 2022 1:27 PM

Jan 2018
the only difference that comes to mind is that seinen will not have school as a focus (might be wrong), unless you consider college is school as well.
Oct 28, 2022 4:18 AM

Jun 2016
alshu said:
DeOnePieceIsReal said:

Joking or not, it's ironic that this anime went from "elitist" anime (10 years ago) to "if you like it, high chance you are a battle shounen fan". At least that's how it strikes me as now.
Oct 28, 2022 4:31 AM

May 2018
Edocchi said:
if you like it, high chance you are a battle shounen fan

Maybe it has to do with horrible tricks like "the minute Monster gets interesting the focus changes to a characters you don't care in this moment" and "lets put our flashbacks right in the middle of the most intense scenes in the present". Those happen a lot in battle shounen too.
Oct 28, 2022 4:49 AM

Sep 2018
Shonen is for boys 6-16. Seinen is for young adults and adults. The crossover is usually when you cease to be a cherry boys and take an interest in women and you would cringe at showing them MHA or dragonball, but wouldn't cringe at showing them Hinamatsuri or Grand Blue.

i can only assume the OP hasn't passed that point yet.
Oct 28, 2022 7:57 AM

Jul 2015
Edocchi said:
alshu said:

Joking or not, it's ironic that this anime went from "elitist" anime (10 years ago) to "if you like it, high chance you are a battle shounen fan". At least that's how it strikes me as now.

I swallowed the whole elitist starter pack thing, and Monster is probably the first show I spat back in the plate. No idea why anyone praises this as a literary masterpiece. It struck me as having particularly simple and not very credible characters, a very thin varnish of "bro it's so deep" themes, and an uncohesive, repetitive, and boring narration plagued by the same 2-3 gimmicks over and over again. While I can vaguely understand the comparison between Monster and Berserk, the former looks like a parody of the latter to me.

Which I'm totally blaming on Urasawa. Pluto was a great manga, but 2 more volumes and I was 4/10ing it out of spite for Urasawa's dreadful "style"
Oct 28, 2022 8:23 AM

Aug 2022
alshu said:
Edocchi said:
if you like it, high chance you are a battle shounen fan

Maybe it has to do with horrible tricks like "the minute Monster gets interesting the focus changes to a characters you don't care in this moment" and "lets put our flashbacks right in the middle of the most intense scenes in the present". Those happen a lot in battle shounen too.
you don't understand what @Edocchi or me trying to say. it has nothing to do with whatever you are saying, it's just that shounen fans now days prefer mainstream seinen like monster and other so-called elitist anime like nge, logh, ghost in the shell..... you won't believe it ,but it's true
Oct 28, 2022 9:54 AM

May 2018
DeOnePieceIsReal said:
it's just that shounen fans now days prefer mainstream seinen

Thus they automatically stop being shounen fans and become omnivore fans...like the actual normal norime,

DeOnePieceIsReal said:
you won't believe it ,but it's true

I am not sure what you are trying to say tho, isn't exploring multiple things the natural path? Why doing what you are supposed to do in the first place a source of such pride?
Oct 28, 2022 11:03 AM
Oct 2020
Okay ecchi and hentai are the same exact thing 😒😒
Oct 28, 2022 11:08 AM

Jan 2009
they are both demographics and for manga the demographics are irrelevant so you have some point like K-ON and Kaguya Love is War are Seinen
Oct 28, 2022 11:19 AM

May 2020
I've always said that the only difference between them is the name of the magazine they run in. Everything about them can be funtionally identicle. Demographics don't actually matter. The subject matter and execution of both can be anything.
Oct 28, 2022 11:58 AM

Jan 2021
Oh wow, I trust myself to not listen to an avid hentai enjoyer.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Why do people like consuming media watching specifically opposite sex get together? ( 1 2 )

Oshieteoshiete4 - Yesterday

66 by EverRealm »»
7 seconds ago

» Who are your enemies in the anime industry/fanbase? ( 1 2 3 )

Catalano - Apr 25

117 by Kenzolo-folk »»
22 seconds ago

Poll: » Your favourite romance

Jackson_rajkumar - 5 hours ago

24 by Lhundrup »»
5 minutes ago

» Is it weird to enjoy 3D Anime more than 2D Anime ?

tchitchouan - 4 hours ago

36 by DarkShame2 »»
5 minutes ago

» Are there Anime Industry People you hate like Voice Actor, Director, etc?

Dragevard - Apr 28

19 by Nurguburu »»
13 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.