Forum Settings
Forums

'Majutsushi Orphen Hagure Tabi' Gets Third Season for Winter 2023

New
Sep 26, 2022 6:50 AM

Jul 2020
The official website of the Majutsushi Orphen Hagure Tabi (Sorcerous Stabber Orphen) anime series announced a third season on Monday, revealing additional cast, staff, a teaser visual (pictured), and a teaser promotional video. The new season, subtitled Urbanrama-hen, is set to broadcast in January 2023.

Daisuke Ono (Leadale no Daichi nite) and Shiki Aoki (Edens Zero) are joining the cast as Ed and Lottecia, respectively.

Kenji Konuta (Servamp) is replacing Reiko Yoshida for series composition. The other staff members will be reprising their respective roles.

The anime adapts Yoshinobu Akita's adventure fantasy light novel series, featuring illustrations by Yuuya Kusaka. Fujimi Shobo published 20 volumes between 1994 and 2003. Akita also wrote a 13-volume side story novel titled Majutsushi Orphen: Mubou-hen alongside the main series from 1996 to 2003. Kadokawa published the two-volume short story titled Majutsushi Orphen: Mawari Michi in 1997-1998.

TO Books published a ten-volume sequel novel series between 2011 and 2015. The company has since reprinted the original novel and the Mubou-hen side story novel in ten and seven volumes, respectively.

Studio J.C.Staff adapted the light novel into a television anime in Fall 1998, which ran for 24 episodes until March 1999. A 23-episode sequel aired in Fall 1999.

The new television anime produced by Studio Deen premiered in two seasons in Winter 2020 and Winter 2021. Funimation simulcast both seasons in English.

Hajime Sawada drew the first manga adaptation in Monthly Dragon Junior between 1997 and 2001. A sequel was published in the same magazine from 2002 to 2003.

Muraji illustrated a three-part manga adaptation on Famitsu's Comic Clear website between 2016 and 2018. Kadokawa published the manga in five compiled volumes.

J-Novel Club licensed the light novel in English in July 2018 for digital release and published the 18th volume on August 16.

Synopsis
In a world of magic and monsters, Krylancelo Finrandi and his foster sister Azalie Cait-Sith were once promising students of sorcery, prodigies at the famous Tower of Fangs. But an experiment gone horribly wrong warps Azalie's appearance, trapping her in the form of a dragon.

Elders at the Tower—more interested in preserving their reputation rather than their students' lives—drive off the transformed Azalie and cover up the incident. Outraged, Krylancelo strikes out on his own, taking the new name of "Orphen" and vowing to return Azalie to her normal state.

Five years later, Orphen's quest has stalled. A chance encounter brings him face to face with Azalie again, but he still has no way to restore her body. And with a hostile group of sorcerers hunting her down, he may be running out of time. The past and present collide as Orphen tries to find how to save Azalie from their former teachers and friends. [Written by MAL Rewrite]

Teaser PV

Official site: https://ssorphen-anime.com/
Official Twitter: @orphen25_tv

Source: Oricon News

Majutsushi Orphen Hagure Tabi: Urbanrama-hen on MAL
VindstotSep 26, 2022 10:25 PM
no
Sep 26, 2022 7:14 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Maybe I should watch S2 in advance to this. Didn’t particularly like S1 though, so who knows.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Sep 26, 2022 8:03 AM

Feb 2021
I couldn't finish season 1 of the new series. It was very boring.
Sep 26, 2022 9:56 AM

Dec 2010
Never in a million years would I have thought we would ever get another Orphen anime. The second season was a major improvement over the first, I hope this one will follow suit.
Sep 26, 2022 10:28 AM

Apr 2012
DarkDooM2 said:
Never in a million years would I have thought we would ever get another Orphen anime. The second season was a major improvement over the first, I hope this one will follow suit.

It's a cult show and it got a new anime for the franchise's anniversary, so it was kind of expected.
Sep 26, 2022 5:17 PM

Jul 2015
This one was dropped halfway through the first season and from what I know, it didn't improved. Skip

Sep 26, 2022 5:56 PM

Feb 2014
If it gets dubbed I will watch it.
Sep 26, 2022 9:28 PM

Oct 2017
Idk how this got a third season but I'll watch.
Sep 27, 2022 12:56 AM

Dec 2015
well that surprised the hell outta me! :o sure, S1 DEFINITELY was a shocker. S2 was just, wow... no way somebody greenlit and paid for another Orphen... but a S3?

as somebody who not only followed the original anime vaguely way way way back in the day... then bought the BR single case two disk set with both seasons in it decades later... i was happy Orphen got a reboot... even if it wasn't... amazing...

so i'm glad Orphen's got a S3. let's just hope it improves upon both S1 and S2 mistakes. this is a classic high-fantasy era 1990's anime franchise... back when the Japanese were eating 'Euro-styled fantasy' up with spoons in both hands... ;) so don't screw it up as bad as you've screwed up your first two tries. ;)
just an ol school otaku enjoyin the life. don't sass me kiddies, i've been otaku probably since before you were born. leave me in peace and i won't bother you either.
Sep 27, 2022 1:11 AM

Dec 2015
MegamiRem said:
Idk how this got a third season but I'll watch.

as you can obviously see from chipsql article... there are (just in the LN) 45.... fourty five... books out there... starting in 1994 and publishing till 2015... you don't write that much and last 21 years in Japanese publishing without a LOT of folks over there loving your stuff. we're talking 'A Certain Magical/Scientific' level of fandom for the Orphen books.

the S1 reboot was a shocker to me, and i STARTED anime before the first Orphen anime ever came out in Japan. ya don't think i'm mind-blown there will be 3 seasons? but i know the fandom over there for this franchise is a strong one. i'm definitely glad ol timers like me and new-bloods get to see more Orphen.
just an ol school otaku enjoyin the life. don't sass me kiddies, i've been otaku probably since before you were born. leave me in peace and i won't bother you either.
Sep 27, 2022 6:26 PM

Feb 2017
I really like Orphen, is one of my favorite animes. Magic, Romance and comedy what more you would need, in the new they add a little gore and a heavy background plot.

The first season was ok, the second get a great improvement, and if this gets the same treatment of 2s or better it will be increible.
The ost get better, more time you listen to them :).
Sep 28, 2022 5:06 PM

Aug 2010
The original anime is waaaay better. The reboot has been so meh that I really assumed there wouldn't be a third season.

Heck, I'll still watch.
Bum Bum Dum Dum

Sep 29, 2022 4:36 AM

Dec 2015
malvarez1 said:
The original anime is waaaay better. The reboot has been so meh that I really assumed there wouldn't be a third season.

Heck, I'll still watch.

considering there's few (if any) official translations of the Orphen novels into English... the 1990's version is generally considered... after i've read about it since the 2000's... nigh on 100% anime all-original-work that bears only a slight resemblance to the source books. the few fanslators and readers of those versions of the source books i've come into contact with over the years agree that the 2nd season is so anime-original... that the characters' names, designs, and a few other things are the only parts of S2 that resemble the books.

as i've said before, i own the original version on BR and i've watched it more than once. i agree it is a very good show! but, in my recollection the remakes are following the books and not writing their own stuff. so perhaps it is this adaptation style of screenwriting you dislike? or is there something else that gives you this 'meh' feeling?
Sep 30, 2022 3:41 PM

Aug 2010
KiliianSleipnir said:

as i've said before, i own the original version on BR and i've watched it more than once. i agree it is a very good show! but, in my recollection the remakes are following the books and not writing their own stuff. so perhaps it is this adaptation style of screenwriting you dislike? or is there something else that gives you this 'meh' feeling?

I think it's the overall production values/directing that just come across as bland. I didn't have a problem with season 1's story, but I found season 2 to be a bit dull, in part because I didn't care for the underground area they spent a big chunk of the season in, but the lore was also delivered in an info-dump manner.
Bum Bum Dum Dum

Oct 1, 2022 3:07 AM

Dec 2015
malvarez1 said:
KiliianSleipnir said:

I think it's the overall production values/directing that just come across as bland. I didn't have a problem with season 1's story, but I found season 2 to be a bit dull, in part because I didn't care for the underground area they spent a big chunk of the season in, but the lore was also delivered in an info-dump manner.

mhm! i do agree, the lore is NOT easily handled. especially S2. there are a LOT of Orphen books out there and trying to setup this whole world without info-dumps isn't an easy task. plus there's the problems of interchangeable terminologies. i've seen, between the two seasons, issues the screenwriters (or translators) are having keeping a constant 'definition' for a term when the source books moved and slipped and shifted some key-terms around... either due to the author making mistakes, bad editors, or just a new-plot point or fact in the worldbuilding caused that term to need modification.

the backgrounds of the two seasons are... differently done.... true... there's not a lot you can do with a tunnel... focusing on the characters' movements and actions and interactions i think the two seasons are just fine... some of the individual details... Orphen's pendant's detail level can morph from one frame to the next... good to bad to back again... clothing, hair, lots of movement animations have to be looped... but the length of the sequence being looped isn't enough frames long (for me). sometimes i can immediately notice the teams didn't spend enough time making those sequences of animations longer and more detailed.

progression, changes, moving forwards, telling the story visually not just with the characters' lines.... yeah, these first two seasons were kinda weak on those points.

we can just hope that with 2 seasons of experience inside Orphen... Deen can improve upon their previous efforts.
Oct 3, 2022 12:34 AM

Mar 2021
I was surprised because I didn't know they had already done season 2 in the first place.

More topics from this board

» Manhwa 'True Beauty' Gets Anime in 2024

DatRandomDude - Nov 17, 2023

47 by nightjasmine »»
18 minutes ago

» Musicians Sayuri, Amaarashi Announce Marriage

Hyperion_PS - 7 hours ago

2 by n4ytcg »»
2 hours ago

» 'Trapezium' Reveals Additional Cast, Staff, Trailer

Hyperion_PS - 8 hours ago

2 by Shirayukin »»
3 hours ago

» 'Make Heroine ga Oosugiru!' Reveals Lead Cast, Production Staff, First Promo for Summer 2024

Vindstot - Yesterday

9 by mshfqtny »»
6 hours ago

» Manga 'S-Rank Monster no "Behemoth" dakedo, Neko to Machigawarete Elf Musume no Pet toshite Kurashitemasu' Gets TV Anime

Hyperion_PS - Today

10 by DrHizzle »»
7 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.