Forum Settings
Forums
New
Aug 23, 2022 11:39 AM
Jul 2016
Hey guys,
I know many have preferences about dub and sub. I know some people that only watch sub and some that only watch dub, without ever considering to watch with the other way. I myself watch 99% of my anime with sub, since I enjoy the original voices and really appreciate the skill of Japanese voice actors. I only watched dub a couple of times, when it was an anime that I just watched to relax and not really look on the plot etc.
Do you have any opinion why you prefer sub or dub? Do you sometimes mix between them and if yes, why?
Aug 23, 2022 11:42 AM

Jan 2022
I usually default to the Dubs especially if one of my favorite VA's is there. I give it an episode or two and only switch back to the Subs if the jokes aren't landing and the drama isn't making me feel anything. I have only had to do this a handful of times and I have watched the majority of my shows dubbed.
-insert NGE meme here-
Aug 23, 2022 11:50 AM

Sep 2020
When I was little, I'm fine with both sub and dub, but after getting into anime (15), I always watch in sub.
Aug 23, 2022 11:53 AM
Jun 2021
After my first four anime i didn't watch dub anymore only sub
Aug 23, 2022 11:57 AM

Jul 2019
I always watch with sub, because it's often somewhat hard to follow dubbed versions. (English isn't my mother tongue.) With subtitles, I can pause the anime and look at the word they use from a dictionary if I don't know it. With dubs, it's a bit hard to distinguish at times what the word the voice actor/actress used, because several reasons (the way the anime mouth moved, accent, etc.), so if the word plays a crucial part to make sense of the sentence, I can easily miss the meaning. I'm also used to watching series with subtitles, so following those is easier. It also allows me to listen to the original dialogue and music, which feels nice. In dubs, I've to focus too much on the talking and the way people talk, making watching everything that happens around a bit hard and enjoying music and/or sounds. Though, if the dub is done in my own mother tongue and isn't half-bad (most of the time those are) I'll more than likely watch it as long as the anime strikes my fancy, to support dubbers in here. (As we get very little dubbed animes.)
Other places where to find me:

☆ AO3/FF/tumblr/YouTube: Tuliharja
☆ Pixiv: Tuliharja/72847426
☆ DA: Tuliharja-art
☆ Instagram: tuliharja_art
Aug 23, 2022 11:59 AM

Jun 2022
I prefer sub, but if a lot of people say it has a far better dub, I will watch that.
I'd like to make myself believe that Planet Earth turns slowly
Aug 23, 2022 12:05 PM

Jun 2017
I lean towards dubs. But i mostly go with whatever's most readily available. Some sites only have sub and some only have dub so i just watch whatever they have.
My waifu is the most wonderful waifu. Mai Valentine.
Aug 23, 2022 12:50 PM

Jul 2021
Nearly every anime I have seen I watched in sub. I've seen a few anime in dub, but I prefer subs.
Aug 23, 2022 1:03 PM
Oct 2019
always sub with literally zero exception even when people say that the dub is totally better (it never actually is).
Aug 23, 2022 1:06 PM
Feb 2021
Always except for when a trustworth real life friend is telling me dub is better. Only happened with cowboy bebop. Also, I still prefer MHA's dub over its sub. Those two are the only exceptions.
Aug 23, 2022 1:23 PM

Dec 2019
I always watch sub and always will I don't even like dubs for live action lol
Aug 23, 2022 1:31 PM

Feb 2021
Usually I watch with subs, very rare I watch with dub, for example, chinese series without any subs available. But is is very rare when there are no subs.
Aug 23, 2022 1:34 PM

Aug 2016
Dubs in my early stage if I go into dubbed vs subbed argument of that anime and weigh which ones to choose. because I was watching older adaptations and not keeping up with the current season.

Once I saw that there were some specials or seasons or episodes out there that dubbed doesn't cover, then I became mostly a sub watcher. There are very rare cases in which I would watch a dubbed and that's older anime and I can see all its related entries are dubbed and there's a very, very low chance of a sequel
Aug 23, 2022 1:38 PM
Sep 2019
Subs at least once bit whenever I rewatch its always dubs that was I can do other things while watching.
Aug 23, 2022 2:35 PM

Mar 2019
I usually watch subs because I like them more. If Steve Blum voices someone then I watch the dub.
Aug 23, 2022 2:37 PM
Jul 2022
I personally prefer sub. It just seems more 'real' to me. I feel like the emotions conveyed by speech work best in their original form. This applies to other movies and series, not just anime. For example, I preferred to watch Squid Game in Korean with English subtitles even if I don't understand a lick of Korean. Plus, you get to learn a bit of Japanese by hearing and reading the translated text, so it is a win-win in my book.
Aug 23, 2022 2:44 PM

Sep 2021
I've always consumed media with subs, because I like doing so with the original language's voices as much as possible. So that means Chinese media with Chinese audio, French media with French audio; I don't just do this for anime. But in the context of anime, I'm really partial to subs not only because of the voice acting quality, but also because of the consistency. I've heard of dubs where they swap out voice actors multiple times in a single season- whereas the original cast's seiyuu will always return to their roles, barring serious illness or death.

I also really appreciate this for Japanese games too, because it means you basically know the original cast will return for every sequel + spin-off- no matter how small. So that just means I won't have the jarring experience of an important character sounding completely different down the line- even years later. I know dubs are in a pretty decent spot right now, but I'd never want to give up that near-guaranteed consistency. And like I mentioned before, I also just really love the voice acting + actors. I'm always on the lookout for my fave seiyuu whenever I watch something new!

I'm okay now... At least... I want to be able to say that.
✧✧✧✧✧✧
profilewatchingreadingart credit

Aug 23, 2022 2:49 PM

Dec 2008
I know Japanese so there is no reason for me to use subs, and definitely no reason for dubs.
Aug 23, 2022 3:08 PM

Apr 2012
I've scorned dubs since long before I started watching anime. I want to see things authentically, and my reading skill is more than high enough. Now that I know enough of the language and culture to get some meaning out of the Japanese words, it's even more of a no-brainer.
Aug 23, 2022 3:53 PM

Jul 2021
The only reason to watch sub, if dub isn't available, or Mushoku Tensei, because couldn't find a version where the demon language was subbed in the dub.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Aug 23, 2022 4:04 PM

Mar 2020
I watch sub for the anime I really look forward to see. Like AoT & Chainsaw Man. I know these are great series and I know japanese VA's give it their all. I only watch anime in dub if they are not that important to me, like Re:zero and Konosuba. Both of them have fantastic english dubs tho and took me by surprise.
💀😭😂🙏
Aug 23, 2022 4:13 PM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
Sub : Always, almost always.

Dub : Only in emergency when I really really couldn't find the sub version online, this usually happens when I want to watch old popular anime like Yu Yu Hakusho.

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Aug 23, 2022 4:23 PM

Oct 2018
Watching with the original audio is always the right way.
If you're a fanboy, please don't waste my time.

Watch more movies, please.

Perhaps, this is hell.
Aug 23, 2022 5:45 PM
❀⑅*❀⑅*❀⑅*❀⑅*❀

Oct 2019
I don't think I've ever watched dub. I also don't think that I will, especially since I'm drawn to older anime. Old dubs are not the way.
Aug 23, 2022 6:13 PM
Mar 2022
Always sub for that original vibe. The only time I watched anime in English was when I watched Afro Samurai, but that's because there aren't any Japanese versions... Not to my knowledge atleast. It was fine though, Samuel Jackson was the VA for the MCs ;)
Aug 23, 2022 6:19 PM

Jun 2019
Normally I default to subs, but if I hear good things about a dub I usually check it out and stick with that.
Aug 23, 2022 6:20 PM

Feb 2021
Easily always sub. Though I will go find some dubs on youtube just to compare between the two.
"Nobody could laugh at someone who's trying their hardest" -Machio-

Aug 23, 2022 6:26 PM
Jul 2022
Generally, Im good with either. I was pretty diehard "subs only" for a while, until I realized that voicework in the original language can be bad too, and subs themselves arent always so great either. I probably wouldnt have noticed without watching a lot of anime though.

But, as I get older, I tend to do things while Im watching anything and if I have to keep my eyes on the screen to read subs.. its more than a little difficult. So it tends to be dubs.

Then I dont have to make the choice between watching anime and actually accomplishing things with my time!

The only time I specifically go for subs now are older series (I hear you @strawberryhoney lol). Older dubs can be.. a real struggle to tolerate. Even if the voicework itself is fine, the editing and timing can frequently be wonky. Weird pauses, unnatural gaps in conversations between characters, etc. "They are not the way."

ETA: I have thought about becoming fluent in Japanese over the years, but I just have way, WAY too much stuff to do to take the time.
NyarlatAnimeAug 23, 2022 6:37 PM
Aug 23, 2022 6:45 PM

Aug 2019
I watched my first 3-4 animes in dub. Other than that, I've always watched in sub

Aug 23, 2022 6:59 PM

May 2021
Depends on the show. I like looking at the cast since there are certain dub actors I love and certain ones I can't stand. and same with subs. I also try to consider what else I might be doing while watching since I can't multitask with subs.
Aug 23, 2022 7:02 PM
Jul 2018
It's mostly through word of mouth, I'll rarely try out a dub for the heck of it unless I have at least heard positive feedback about it first.

That being said, I don't have a prejudice against dub itself, sometimes the dub is trash, sometimes I find the dub and sub pretty even (Death Note, Ghost in the Shell SAC, Baccano, Hellsing Ultimate), sometimes I straight up prefer the dub (Castle in the Sky, Dragon Ball Z, Cowboy Bebop). It's a case by case basis.

I have found myself preferring dub on several Japanese games though, famous seiyuus or not. That goes for Persona as much as the Nier series or MGS. Gotta go with Japanese for purely japanese settings like Yakuza or Sekiro though.
Aug 23, 2022 8:06 PM

Aug 2018
dub if available. I like the freedom of being able to look away from the screen (especially if what im watching kinda sucks). Hard to give my full attention to a shitty anime.
Poyo.
Aug 24, 2022 5:04 AM
Aug 2021
Always sub obviously. Loves the seiyuu <3
Aug 24, 2022 5:19 AM

Dec 2021
I guess I prefer watching Japanese subs as 1) it's more authentic, I guess and 2) I like testing my Japanese listening skills and picking up on unfamiliar vocabulary or grammar.

Although I'm okay with dubs although I haven't watched that many. I usually watch dubs if I can't find the sub or the sub is unavailable. I did that with Elfen Lied, Air, Akira, and A Place Promised in Our Early Days.

I also revert to using dubs if the subtitles are hard to read (which I did with an old DVD copy of Ghost in the Shell I found at my local library).

Also, if I started with a sub, I almost never switch to a dub for the duration of the anime (and vice versa). The only exception was, as I mentioned, when the subs were too hard to read.
Aug 24, 2022 5:35 AM

Sep 2010
Polls like this are not really representative because almost nobody who just watches dubs clicks these threads because they don't care about the whole sub-dub drama unlike sub watchers who need to show how superior they are. Anyway I watch pretty mixed but German dubs and rarely English dubs.
Aug 24, 2022 5:47 AM

Apr 2016
Only sub. I make exceptions when watching with children who can't read subs yet or not fast enough yet, but other than that, always sub. That's not limited to anime btw, anything I watch, will be watched with original VA and subs.

Funnily enough, my little cousin randomly got into anime about 2 years ago (when she was around 10-11) and started out with dubs, but without any of my influence, she quickly gravitated, within only 2-3 months, towards only subs. When we wanted to watch an anime together I asked her whether we should watch it dubbed but she immediately said "definitely not". XD
Aug 24, 2022 6:13 AM
Jul 2018
Anything Dragon Ball related: English dub.

Virtually everything else: No subs

More topics from this board

» Post the Last Anime Items you bought ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

SpeedyAlchemist - Mar 10

229 by Otakupervert890 »»
28 seconds ago

» ☀️Summer'24: OP/ ED of the season & discussion

nirererin - 6 hours ago

38 by Zarutaku »»
8 minutes ago

» Anime Topic

GoldenCash - 2 hours ago

15 by MogKnight »»
19 minutes ago

» Do you care about your anime watching pace?

Zakatsuki_ - Oct 3

35 by RainyEvenings »»
37 minutes ago

» What is your favourite befriending moments?

SgtBateMan - Sep 10

23 by trinitroglycerin »»
39 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.