Forum Settings
Forums

Do you think rating anime in numbers destroys your enjoyment?

New
Aug 13, 2022 4:36 AM

May 2021
I know people like rating anime, including me too but rating anime and comparing them to others makes you more critical which lessens your enjoyment to that particular series, this problem can be easily solved if we just ignore other(s) opinions but sometimes you become too critical to watch anime that you watch anime on the purpose of just rating it. Same happened with me too but then I stopped caring about ratings. And I'm not completely against the idea of scoring it's just that it manipulates people's opinion about the anime mostly the new anime watchers and not people who have been watching anime for years
sonu711Aug 13, 2022 5:04 AM
Aug 13, 2022 4:38 AM

Aug 2018
no it doesn't. I rate anime so I can keep track of what I've seen and what is worth re-watching. I don't have a photographic memory and can't remember all of the 200+ I've seen. I'm not ultra-critical or anything. When I finish a show it's easy to decide if it was good or bad.
Aug 13, 2022 4:41 AM

Oct 2014
You shouldn't be comparing different anime to each other. That might be what is causing your issue, as an anime is only ever trying to be itself, thus only comparable to it's own franchise. There's no one way to tell a story, so 8s and 10s, or whatever, get there for different reasons. They don't have to be competing. If you feel bad for rating an anime, it's actually unfair to compare it to something separate from itself.

For me, rating, and the analysis which comes with it, enhances my enjoyment.

I don't believe in the Devil.
You should. He believes in you.
Aug 13, 2022 4:42 AM

Sep 2020
No, I rate based on my enjoyment but rating anime doesn’t really affect how much I like it.
Aug 13, 2022 4:43 AM

Jan 2009
if youre gonna advocate to replace scores with emoji reactions then sign me up lol the new review system is doing it already anyway
Aug 13, 2022 4:44 AM

May 2021
epidemia78 said:
no it doesn't. I rate anime so I can keep track of what I've seen and what is worth re-watching. I don't have a photographic memory and can't remember all of the 200+ I've seen. I'm not ultra-critical or anything. When I finish a show it's easy to decide if it was good or bad.
singular rating is good as you mentioned that " keep track of what I've seen and what is worth re-watching" I do for the same purpose but if you like an anime and its score is below average it discourages some people to give it a good score, sometimes people don't even watch anime because of other's scores and mal score. And I'm not completely against the idea of scoring it's just that it manipulates people's opinion about the anime
Aug 13, 2022 4:45 AM

Jul 2007
The only thing that numbers destroys is your waifu's... uhh... integrity.
☆☆☆
"There's a huge difference between one and infinity.
However, compared to the difference between
existence and non-existence, one and infinite are
nearly the same. I am the child destined to become
the best witch... no... The greatest Creator in the world...!"
-Maria Ushiromiya
☆☆☆

Aug 13, 2022 4:46 AM

Aug 2018
sonu711 said:
epidemia78 said:
singular rating is good as you mentioned that " keep track of what I've seen and what is worth re-watching" I do for the same purpose but if you like an anime and its score is below average it discourages some people to give it a good score, sometimes people don't even watch anime because of other's scores and mal score. And I'm not completely against the idea of scoring it's just that it manipulates people's opinion about the anime

I don't care what anybody else thinks.
Aug 13, 2022 4:49 AM

Oct 2019
no, but learning or trying to go about them objectively does.
Also available at:
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
An AMV I that I spend way too much time on:
A Love Letter To Anime「AMV」: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
Aug 13, 2022 4:53 AM

May 2021
epidemia78 said:
sonu711 said:

I don't care what anybody else thinks.
yeah ik that but some people like new anime watchers usually do care about people's opinions
Aug 13, 2022 4:58 AM

Jul 2016
Nope. If you can't rate the quality of something, then it's not worth watching.

sonu711 said:
it manipulates people's opinion about the anime

This is why if you want it to count in the database, you should have to present in writing your reason for rating it a certain number.

But if it's your own list, then you don't need a reason. It won't affect the database average unless you give the database admins a reason to prove you're human.
IpreferEcchiAug 13, 2022 5:01 AM
Aug 13, 2022 5:01 AM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
Rating is merely a number, it just shows how much I enjoy that particular anime.

Other people's rating is nothing more than an opinion to me.

So my answer is no :)

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Aug 13, 2022 5:02 AM

Feb 2020
Not at all. I always love to rate anime......
Aug 13, 2022 5:03 AM

Nov 2021
Rating the anime increase the enjoyment.
Aug 13, 2022 5:14 AM

Jan 2021
I dont mind the score; yes it can give you an idea about how "bad" an anime is but sometimes "bad" animes are the best and the opposite. I read the summary description see the tags and if it is interesting i would watch it although people have given it an 1. We're all different and enjoy different things too.
Aug 13, 2022 5:21 AM

Sep 2019
I don't see how rating a show can ruin one's experience. Ratings shouldn't really matter and shouldn't affect your overall experience unless you're trying to do what an "objective" critique would do and break down every aspect of the show just to give a rating and compare your scoring with others. I usually rate based on enjoyment and ignore other people's enjoyment, though I'm fine with them sharing their thoughts on the show and discussing the good and bad points with them.
Aug 13, 2022 5:22 AM

Dec 2015
Don't understand how raiting a Anime could destory the enjoyment of the show.

Aug 13, 2022 5:31 AM

May 2020
No, not at all. Its the exact opposite. It expresses my feelings towards the show.
Aug 13, 2022 5:32 AM

May 2021
Nillwas said:
Don't understand how raiting a Anime could destory the enjoyment of the show.
actually its mostly for new anime watchers, they're easily manipulated by ratings on mal and others opinions, also ratings sometimes gives discontent of course it doesn't actually apply people who have been watching anime from a very long time
Aug 13, 2022 5:33 AM

Feb 2021
sonu711 said:
I know people like rating anime, including me too but rating anime and comparing them to others makes you more critical which lessens your enjoyment to that particular series, this problem can be easily solved if we just ignore other(s) opinions but sometimes you become too critical to watch anime that you watch anime on the purpose of just rating it. Same happened with me too but then I stopped caring about ratings. And I'm not completely against the idea of scoring it's just that it manipulates people's opinion about the anime mostly the new anime watchers and not people who have been watching anime for years

No, I watch because I like the plot and the characters, not the numbers.
Aug 13, 2022 5:40 AM
Jul 2018
Uhh no? I think it's annoying to do though, rating entertainment is out of my league.
Aug 13, 2022 7:46 AM

Sep 2018
No, becoming more critical actually made me less critical of anime that are just fun.
Aug 13, 2022 8:00 AM

Nov 2013
Certainly not. If anything it lets me categorize the enjoyment and in extent by focusing on the quality I can enjoy the actually good anime more with better understanding of what makes them good. And of course this doesn't stop me from enjoying "dumb but entertaining" anime.
You all need to watch Nami.

Aug 13, 2022 8:03 AM

Dec 2020
Nah it doesn't really effect enjoyment. The only purpose of rating anime for me is to separate the good ones from the bad ones.

As for newbies, they shouldn't even be on mal. If they are here, they'll just destroy their enjoyment one way or the other.

Aug 13, 2022 8:08 AM

Oct 2018
No. Because ratings are shit anyways. Even on MAL.

“Once you've been loved once and have loved once, you cannot forget it.”
― Natsume Takashi
Aug 13, 2022 8:10 AM

Oct 2014
Maybe sometimes if I end up thinking too hard about what an anime deserves while I'm watching it, but if I just mindlessly consumed anime and didn't worry about how good or bad any of it was I feel like I wouldn't be able to appreciate the actually good ones like I can if I am actively judging the things I watch. I rate the manga and beer I consume as well and used to rate the donuts I had at Tim Hortons back when I worked there. It's nice having a log of what you've tried and how much you liked it.
Aug 13, 2022 8:16 AM

Mar 2021
...no? the numbers are just a measurement of my enjoyment
Aug 13, 2022 8:19 AM

Sep 2010
No I usually don't think much about rating while I watch it but after I'm finished watching. I give some anime a preliminary rating if I already see where it's going but I'm willing to change that after I've watched all.
Aug 13, 2022 8:37 AM

Apr 2020
I rate based on both enjoyment and other factors like animation. I don't think I've ever wanted the rating system to go away, in fact I find it motivates me to watch more and I don't mind being so critical since it helped me have taste in anime
Aug 13, 2022 8:51 AM

Feb 2021
I mostly rate based on enjoyment so nah, it doesn't bother me that much

Aug 13, 2022 9:05 AM
Jul 2018
I don't compare anime when rating. Which could be part of the problem for why people enjoy certain anime less. They can hold something on a pedestal so much that they aren't able to enjoy anything else to the same degree. I judge them for the individual experiences they give me. I rate for the sake of being able to think more about the type of enjoyment I get from each anime. Only thing I don't like about rating is that I'm always thinking about the score of a show as I'm watching it. Which I will admit can take away from my immersion. Of course, I know there are some people that are of the mindset of rating after you get the full experience with a show. But it may not work with everyone. I mean, there are some people who watch anime all the way through and don't get enjoyment from the whole experience even after finishing it. Which can make the time spent watching it meaningless for some people.
Aug 13, 2022 9:24 AM
Tsumi To Kisei

Nov 2021
not at all, one thing I learned very well about MyAnimeList is that only 1% of the time the votes are put good to an anime so, it does not bother me at all an anime has a low rating because surely it will be better than an anime with a very high rating.

Obviously this is what I think, because I vote for anime for how much they entertain me.
Aug 13, 2022 9:25 AM

Dec 2018
No, being critical actually increases my enjoyment of anime. I love analysing and finding the small nuances in anime that cause me to fall in love with them. It helps me establish a deeper connection with the anime in question.
Aug 13, 2022 9:38 AM

Sep 2020
After I watch an anime, I sit and contemplate what I watched. Ratings are just how I express and rationalise my feelings towards the anime, nothing more.
Aug 13, 2022 9:40 AM

Sep 2021
I wouldn't say that rating has destroyed my enjoyment at all, and that's with being relatively new to this whole MAL + rating thing in general. If anything, it's allowed me to express how I feel about a particular show and/or franchise, and I actually really appreciate it for that. I'm really forgiving with my rating, which is probably why my mean score is so ridiculously high, but I love that rating captures a snapshot of how I felt in the moment. I also don't think about rating at all while I'm watching a show. I honestly just try to let the show stand on its own two... feet(?) and let it speak for itself. For me, the rating comes after I've had a little time to let the show settle, and I can decide how I really felt about it. That's a kind of separation from the numbers that I know can be really difficult for some people... and I'm sure it can be different after you've watched and rated so much anime.

For now, though, I'm enjoying figuring out what I really like, and what I really don't like, and rating has been an important part of that. I also really only try and rate series/franchises against themselves, which helps a little bit. I think someone said that it's really easy to put an anime up on a pedestal- and I think rating actually helps me not to do that, in a way- even if I am really relaxed with my rating right now.

We can always go somewhere again.
✧✧✧✧✧✧
profilewatchingart credit

Aug 13, 2022 9:43 AM
Jan 2017
To a extent, I feel like I constantly am thinking about what score to give a series when I'm watching when I should just sit back and enjoy the show and worry about the rating only when I finish. Think I'd have a better experience that way
Aug 13, 2022 9:55 AM

Jan 2020
No, not at all. It's just that sometimes I wish there'd be more options when it comes to rating anime... I mean, a certain other website uses different kind of rating scales, like smileys, stars, decimal 10-point rating system, 100 points, ...
Aug 13, 2022 10:09 AM

Oct 2013
If you put a lot of effort into it then yes. Stats should always take a backseat to enjoyment, otherwise it just becomes a chore.

"The kindest person in the room is often the smartest."
Aug 13, 2022 10:27 AM

Apr 2015
Nah. Me deciding a rating makes me rethink and engage with what I'm watching. It's also good way for me to track down stuff I might want to rewatch at some point. I don't go out of my way to compare two shows unless I see it is deserved. Otherwise it happens subconsciously.
Aug 13, 2022 2:21 PM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
Yes absolutely it does.. i think so... It's so true
That's why I don't like rating anime.

Aug 14, 2022 7:50 PM

Mar 2020
Yeah, a little bit. Sometimes I watch a show and think: "Hmmm, so far this is a 6, but could be a 7 down the line." or "OMG this an 8 already, hopefully it get's better so it can become a 9 or even a 10"
💀😭😂🙏
Aug 15, 2022 5:04 AM

Mar 2020
no, but it sure ruins other people's enjoyment of everyday life when they see what I rated their favorite anime
Aug 15, 2022 5:06 AM

Mar 2022
not at all. if i hate smth, giving it the score it deserves won't hurt me, same for something i love.

the solution is: don't rate or compare before watching, easy.
Aug 15, 2022 6:09 AM
Jul 2018
Being critical doesn't destroy my enjoyment either. I'm the most critical about the shows I like and enjoy the most, because I know them better and look much closer than other shows I just watch as a sidedish, you could say.
Aug 15, 2022 6:37 AM

Jan 2022
Anime rankings just helps me decide on what to watch, and it won't affect on how I'll enjoy + how I'll rate it. We all have different tastes because we all are not the same. We all got different perspectives on how to intrepret anime.

I rated "Aho-Girl" a 10/10 because I find it funny, tho it ranked #4000 in the overall rankings cuz majority of the people find it "cringe", so no for me.
GDjkhpAug 15, 2022 6:43 AM

More topics from this board

Poll: » do you consider hate on your favorites an attack on you personally?

deg - Apr 23

31 by FanofAction »»
49 seconds ago

» What's an anime that didn't meet your expectations, and what's an anime that exceeded them? ( 1 2 )

JKKH - Jul 18, 2022

63 by Tulleha »»
4 minutes ago

Poll: » Which is your favourite Anime in this list?

PushedCaraway - 7 hours ago

25 by maya2003s »»
7 minutes ago

» is ur fave genre ur most watched genre ?

ame - Apr 23

32 by alshu »»
10 minutes ago

» Which 3 unpopular anime from the late 90s-mid 00s would you recommend?

WitherThrakh - Apr 13

19 by alshu »»
18 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.