Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Apr 10, 2008 4:45 AM

Feb 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I wonder what Schuwald intends to do, now that he knows who Johan really is.
And I also wonder who will stop Tenma, will it Schuwald, or Runge? Or maybe someone else (like Dieter or the doctor).
Apr 21, 2008 1:18 AM

Feb 2008
Argh, the DVD really jacked up with these episodes. Just got there where Nina finally knows that Johann is in Munich.

And really the ED SUCKS!
Jul 2, 2008 9:28 PM

Sep 2007
I am really confuse now about the existence of Johann.
Dec 27, 2008 4:03 PM

Jun 2008
Runge is so much of a douchebag it's impossible. Same for Lotte.
Jun 17, 2009 8:57 PM
Sep 2007
Agreed with eyerok. You must be a gigantic retard and douchebag to dislike the music I like. THOSE GOSH DARN TEENAGERS.
Jun 18, 2009 12:11 AM

Sep 2008
Its not about liking or disliking...saying that it 'sucks' or is 'gay' is just stupid. I've even heard ppl say it doesn't fit the anime.
eyerokJun 18, 2009 12:22 AM
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Jun 18, 2009 7:27 PM
Sep 2007
eyerok said:
Excelsior said:
Agreed with eyerok. You must be a gigantic retard and douchebag to dislike the music I like. THOSE GOSH DARN TEENAGERS.

I said teenagers cuz almost every person saying that the song sux or is gay or doesnt fit the anime is a 'darn teenager', like yourself. Liek I said its not about perspective. I know you're being sarcastic...music tastes aside, tell me honestly what do you think about the song. Is it gay? does it SUCK? Was it a mistake to make it the second ED?

If I dont like a song I dont go around saying it sux or its gay...I just keep my mouth shut. You must be a gigantic retard or a douchebag to do that. Like I said, its not about liking the music, but appreciating it. Or at least keeping your mouth shut if you have nothing better to say

Then, sorry for misunderstanding your initial post. But when you "need a decent taste in music to appreciate and understand the second ED", I thought otherwise. And for your other question, if this song was gay, which I don't find particularly relevant, I did dislike the song on my first viewing. But on my second viewing, it grew on me. But I still like the first ED by David Sylvian more.
Jun 18, 2009 11:28 PM

Sep 2008
Excelsior said:
eyerok said:
Excelsior said:

I said teenagers cuz almost every person saying that the song sux or is gay or doesnt fit the anime is a 'darn teenager', like yourself. Liek I said its not about perspective. I know you're being sarcastic...music tastes aside, tell me honestly what do you think about the song. Is it gay? does it SUCK? Was it a mistake to make it the second ED?

If I dont like a song I dont go around saying it sux or its gay...I just keep my mouth shut. You must be a gigantic retard or a douchebag to do that. Like I said, its not about liking the music, but appreciating it. Or at least keeping your mouth shut if you have nothing better to say

Then, sorry for misunderstanding your initial post. But when you "need a decent taste in music to appreciate and understand the second ED", I thought otherwise. And for your other question, if this song was gay, which I don't find particularly relevant, I did dislike the song on my first viewing. But on my second viewing, it grew on me. But I still like the first ED by David Sylvian more.

well...maybe i put it the wrong way when i said that, I was kinda pissed , and maybe a bit drunk :S. And I should apologize to babykeiji for being so rude. There are many other ways to express ones opinions, and i probably chose the wrong one....
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Jul 18, 2009 4:51 PM

Feb 2009
I am Tenma, I have a rifle. I WANT TO KILL RUNGE!

Aug 11, 2009 3:50 PM

Jul 2009
Suspense is building...Tenma, Johan, Schubert, Dr Reichman, Nina, Karl and Lotte - it's all coming together :D
Oct 13, 2009 2:34 PM

Nov 2007
i hope he shoots and misses or something, he shouldnt be stopped
Feb 2, 2010 10:34 AM

Sep 2009
Insanely intense episode. I have read this word in Monster episode discussion topics and wrote it my self way too much. But this time it really deserves to be called intense.

Shuwald seemed to have already knows about Johan. Not all the facts and details, but about Johan being a monster. An he seems to understand Johan. "He is about to become what I wanted to become, yet couldn't" were Schuwald's words. He thinks that Johan is his superior, and at the same time, his descendant. But as we understood from previous episodes, Johan seems to not care about Schuwald. "Don't you think that the only one who can defeat that monster is an even greater monster?" another quote by Schuwald. Who did he mean? Monster being Johan and him being a greater monster who can defeat him? But that does not make sense because he previously said that Johan is superior to him. Then maybe he meant that the one who kills Johan is going to become an even bigger monster? The greater monster being Tenma? And my last thought was that Schuwald despises himself. And therefore, thinks that only Johan is able to end him.

Now what is fidgeting me, is why was Schuwald that Johan might not come to the ceremony? Either he was expecting Tenma to kill him at the ceremony after conversation with Reichwein, and was thoughtful of his safety (which I couldn't sense, so I am expecting this not to be the truth), or he wants Johan to die by Tenma's hand. Maybe his own? That would explain why he sent off Karl, so he would not see what happens. Either way, Schuwald is really predicting something terrible to happen here.

Tenmas flashback was nice. He remembers his past about his fears. Trying to gain strength to pull the trigger. To not be afraid of killing Johan.
No sig :(
Mar 8, 2010 7:32 PM

Jan 2010
WTF is this picture book?
\
Apr 14, 2010 6:20 PM

Apr 2009
Im a bit confused as to how Runge came to the conclusion that Tenma is after Schuwald. Did he just pick a random name he had heard previously? Inconsistency in the plot or did I just miss something?
May 29, 2010 12:34 PM

Sep 2008
Darn it, if only Tenma wasn't so lame and listened to Mamiko Noto so long ago.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 2, 2010 12:21 AM

May 2008
eyerok said:
babykeiji said:
Argh, the DVD really jacked up with these episodes. Just got there where Nina finally knows that Johann is in Munich.

And really the ED SUCKS!

you need at least an average IQ and a decent taste in music to appreciate and understand the second ED...something which most teenagers lack these days. I think the first ED was boring and too slow, but this one is so sad and beautiful at the same time. Its a masterpiece imo

QFF. I'm sorry you have to belittle other's taste in music to think that this ED is good, or rather, to tell someone that they actually don't have the IQ to comprehend this ED. I've played classical and jazz trombone for 8 years and I really think this ED sucks. Do I have a high enough IQ to make my argument valid?

Ranting aside, GEEZ this was a great episode. As soon as Tenma hesitated there I knew it was over... I'm so excited to see how this turns out.
Jul 21, 2010 9:13 PM

Jul 2008
I love how Runge straight up got Johan's personality while thinking he was in Tenma. Seriously, that guy is so smart and yet so blind. Also, lol at his Johan face.
Sep 2, 2010 1:24 PM

Sep 2009
Will he or won't he???
TIME TO LIVE FOREVER BABY!

http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=19549
Please join if you love Asian Cinema :)
Nov 13, 2010 12:51 PM

Mar 2010
hm nina seriously didnt look hard enough if it wasnt for the other girl
she would have had loose ends and never find anything

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Apr 30, 2011 11:43 AM
Feb 2010
theeggman85 said:

you need at least an average IQ and a decent taste in music to appreciate and understand the second ED...something which most teenagers lack these days. I think the first ED was boring and too slow, but this one is so sad and beautiful at the same time. Its a masterpiece imo

QFF. I'm sorry you have to belittle other's taste in music to think that this ED is good, or rather, to tell someone that they actually don't have the IQ to comprehend this ED. I've played classical and jazz trombone for 8 years and I really think this ED sucks. Do I have a high enough IQ to make my argument valid?

Posts like these really make me lol. "I have done this and that, therefore I understand more about art/music than you do" lol...GTFO. Some of the shittiest music has come from some of the most experienced musicians. Just because youre an ametuer Jazz musician does not mean you understand all music, and this ED song is actually classical Japanese folk influenced
Rant aside. The ED is pretty good. Hard to get used to, but a pretty cool song
May 17, 2011 9:32 PM

Oct 2008
RUNGE IS SO STUPID OMGGGGGGGG.
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~
May 24, 2011 11:29 AM
Mar 2011
the hell is wrong with you guys?
The first ending theme is beautiful and I thought really fit the show.

SyFy doesn't show the new opening or ending but rather sticks with the one from the beginning.

What an intense episode, i've gotten so many chills from this anime... its great.
May 24, 2011 2:21 PM
Dec 2010
may I ask how Lunge is stupid?
Mar 3, 2012 12:03 AM

Mar 2009
Lol Lunge really refuses to consider the fact that Tenma is actually innocent.
Mar 14, 2012 3:28 PM

Mar 2010
runge is annoying
Apr 16, 2012 2:19 AM

Apr 2009
It would be such a surprise if Tenma would snipe Johan. But i don't believe it's going to happen.
Jun 4, 2012 12:20 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Intense episode. But I think Tenma is hesitating too much. Will he shoot?
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jul 28, 2012 10:34 PM

Jul 2010
Wow, that ending was suuper creepy.

And.. I don't think Tenma can do it. But maybe that's just because I don't think Johan could die when there's still 40 episodes in the show left.. XD
Sep 23, 2012 12:37 AM

Nov 2009
So agree, that ending bit totally gave me the chills. But now a little bit pissed at Tenma, their is honestly no reason to not pull the trigger but of course he won't and instead probably either get caught by a retarded Runge who doesn't even bother to believe their might be some other explanation when literally every piece of evidence he has came up with is pointing towards Tenma's innocence or have to book it the heck out of their as cops storm the place... Also why is it when the tell Runge that Tenma wants to kill Johan in that pea sized brain of his he thinks that he DOESN'T want to kill Johan but instead kill Schubert? Anyways Runge used to be a smart cop towards the beginning, kind of except for how he instantly latched on to the most obvious suspect, someone should inform him that Occam's Razor isn't always the only answer or else their would be no such thing as framing someone... Sorry for the rant just really hate how stupid they made Runge now.
Nov 23, 2012 9:15 PM

Mar 2012
So much tension. I honestly think Tenma's gonna get himself caught.
Dec 18, 2012 5:23 AM

Feb 2012
Good episode.

About Episode:

Tenma's past is quite interesting... so he was kid a little and was already scared. Trees and wind how he can deal with Johan if he is this scared.

Also Shuwald's and Dr. conversation between them was nice. Finally Shuwald will know who Johan really is. I am pretty sure reason why he wanted to Karl go to look something was because he don't want to Karl get involved in this. And he wants to help Tenma. That's why he was so happy that Johan appeared there.

So Lunge is again acting both Tenma and Johan still he dont get it that Johan will exist and isn't imagination person. And Rudy tried also convince Lunge. But maybe know when he arrives for the memorial party he understand Johan is real or then he won't understand that fact never.

Nice thing also was that dieter tried to cheer up that Dr. Because he was feeling kind of down but when he finally get to know where Tenma is then he was on the move again haha,

Now it seems like I thought Lotte bought same picture book that was in Johan. and he investigated that book with Czech dictionary and when she met Nina on the station and Nina saw that book I think she is going to collapse too after remembering something about her past.

Now who is going to stop Tenma for eliminating Johan. Is it Dieter and Dr. or Lunge or Rudy or Nina. Or someone else.

5/5
Jan 29, 2013 1:34 AM

Jan 2012
Come on Tenma, you can do it! Also Runge is hilarious. He can figure out the killers next target just like that, but fails to see who is the one killing.

Feb 25, 2013 6:03 PM
Aug 2011
Runge is actually convincing me that Tenma is Johan.

wat
Apr 26, 2013 5:36 PM

Apr 2013
Runge please research more before you think. Srsly since when did Tenma became Johan + terrorist -.-
May 6, 2013 11:04 AM

Oct 2012
I love the way how everything converges together.
Aug 4, 2013 11:09 AM

May 2013
that Runge starts to annoy the hell out of me.. !
and at the end of the episode I was like.. SHOOT THE B*TCH, but I know he won't die that easily it's still ep 36, lol,

oh and I don't like the new ED, I really liked the first one.
Aug 19, 2013 12:00 PM
May 2012
I am Tenma no you're not you are one crazy dude Lunge and looks like next episode is going to be intense but I need to go to bed so we'll see it later also I appreciate the ending song it fits the anime for those who don't like it that's cool just don't say bad things about it alright.
Oct 6, 2013 11:43 PM

Jul 2009
wow what a suspenseful episode!!!

i thought this was gonna be a recap episode. good thing it's only the opening :P

woah Tenma almost got caught!

good thing we got a glimpse about Tenma's past.

he seems to be alone all the time. like Johan!

it seems Schubert already anticipated someone would come and question Johan.

i mean why not? he seems WAAAAY to perfect!

i wonder if the document Schubert asked Karl to get is a will of his death? he might anticipate his death here!

man Lunge is amazing as ever XD

he just won't give up that Johan is all made up inside of Tenma's head!!

even his colleague is freaking out besides him!!

i find it hard to believe the Reichwein only knew the event the day is happening.

it was posted all over the town! he should have mentioned it when he was talking to Schubert.

and wow Lunge managed the event will come down!

it's finally here! man will Tenma pull the trigger!?!?!

and wow Frank Lotte knew Nina and Johan were related?

and what does she mean they're not twins? she just said a few episodes Nina look like Johan!!

i wonder what is that book? a piece of her past!!

amazing episode!!

and wow the preview at the end is such a spoiler.

i could already tell how this event will come down.

should have made it less revealing tbh.

okay one last episode before i sleep!

this is the last time i'm doing this!!

such an addicting series!
Dec 21, 2013 12:07 AM

Sep 2011
Dat was some grudge/ring shit ending!
Jan 8, 2014 2:57 AM

Mar 2013
kokuro said:

LOL
EL PSY KONGROO!!!
Jan 23, 2014 11:28 AM
Mar 2013
arnxx said:
i hope he shoots and misses or something, he shouldnt be stopped
Im torn between "Shoot him!!!" and "DOnt Shoot!!" I was shouting that the entire time while watching it.:)
Feb 4, 2014 11:29 AM

Jan 2012
Damn Lunge! He's so pissing me off........... he should at least check Johan's background but no he's such a stubborn stupid psycho guy...
Oct 28, 2014 6:38 PM

Nov 2011
Lunge continues to be interesting. His behavioral approach would work well in situations where he's paying more attention to the evidence. His conclusion about Shubert being the target is curious, however: If he is indeed referring to Tenma, then I'm not sure what to make of it yet. I don't think he's referring to Tenma, though; he's referring to Johan. "He thinks they're the same", you might say, but he's still treating them as separate personalities, which means his conclusion that Shubert is Johan's next target is probably correct. Whether he's finally made the distinction between Tenma and Johan in his moment of realization has yet to be seen.

Shubert himself has become more interesting as of this episode. I never gave much stock to his nickname, but now that we have him describing Johan as his figurative successor and superior, I can't help but wonder what sort of man he truly is. We've seen that he enjoys Latin and hearing the birds sing... Cannot the same be said of Johan? How much do these two have in common? I simply cannot believe Shubert is or was at the same level of evil as Johan. Still, to draw such comparisons says a lot. Or, if we take his wording differently, perhaps we should take his wording differently and assume Tenma is the bigger monster to Johan, rather than Johan being the bigger monster to Shubert. Or, yet further, perhaps we could even imply both scenarios, since Johan seems to be attempting to groom Tenma in some way.

Speculation has a tendency to become wild in the absence of evidence. I'm already making some big assumptions, so I'll try not to go further until we know more.

Also, Nina seemed to recognize the picture book. I'm still heavily interested in its contents and what said contents might unearth.

I will be shocked if Tenma actually shoots Johan. (Or... if he shoots Shubert. That would be shocking too.)
Feb 2, 2015 11:11 PM

Nov 2013
Lunge continues to deny others like always. Never change Lunge.

Remember when Johan stared up at that bookcase a while ago? Maybe Johan already knows that Tenma's going to snipe him at the ceremony?

Looks like Nina might faint after reading that book too. I'm really starting to wonder what lies in that picture book.

Next episode's gonna be a wham episode for sure. I cannot fucking wait.

Great build up episode.

8/10 onto the next one!

Feb 16, 2015 7:29 AM

Nov 2014
kokuro said:

Hahaha well said :D

Despite knowing Johan won't die since we have much more episodes left, I keep saying deep down please Tenma kill him PLEASE kill him. I think Deiter will have some role? Just a guess

Also, wondering what would be Anna's reaction when reading that book
Mar 31, 2015 1:14 AM
Nov 2014
Runge/Lunge is so stubborn haha...

It gets very intense near the end, dem goosebumps when Tenma aims at Johan.

Awesome ep.
Jun 11, 2015 12:24 AM

Mar 2014
I'm being torn in two here... A part of me wants Tenma to finally shoot Johann, but another part of me is glad that he won't because I really want to know his story. Plus I don't want good guy Tenma becoming a murderer.

Also, Lunge is the prime example of a lousy detective. His perspective is to narrow. It's cops like him that put innocent people in prison. Gah, I know we're supposed to hate on Johann, for being a serial killer, but honestly, I hate on Lunge even more. -.-"
Jul 23, 2015 9:11 AM

Jul 2014
5/5
Aug 31, 2015 1:13 AM

Dec 2013
Lunge continues being as stubborn ever. Ending was pretty hype.
Aug 31, 2015 7:30 PM

Dec 2013
That picture book, I need to see it. LET ME SEE IT!!
FragOutFire said:

Why am I a Berserk fan? All I ever experience is pain.

We are in the eclipse and Miura has sacrificed us
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Monster Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Kayro - Apr 5, 2008

114 by egeD19 »»
Apr 17, 10:03 AM

Poll: » Monster Episode 74 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

babykeiji - Apr 23, 2008

623 by Animequeen_xx »»
Apr 13, 5:54 PM

Poll: » Monster Episode 43 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Kayro - Apr 11, 2008

134 by Ajanokoyna »»
Apr 13, 7:25 AM

Poll: » Monster Episode 55 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Kayro - Apr 15, 2008

70 by Dekuforce5 »»
Apr 13, 3:15 AM

Poll: » Monster Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Kayro - Apr 4, 2008

106 by wallus81 »»
Apr 8, 10:22 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.