Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
KATANAGATARI
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (9) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 9 »
May 3, 2014 4:17 AM

Aug 2013
Nanami is one badass bich, sucks they skipped her brother's fight tho, seems like he won with ease.
May 12, 2014 2:19 PM
Jul 2013
For some reason i was rooting for the maniwani...anyway
Great episode
May 28, 2014 1:10 AM

Feb 2013
This was quite interesting, though I was really looking forward to shichikas fight, too... If I had to make a guess, what direction the plot is going to take, id say Nanami will join the sword hunt, obtain most of the remaining swords, learn their owner's techniques, but will be corrupted by the swords' poison. So basically were set for an amazing Shichika vs. Nanami final battle and some more moral dilemmata... unless they re trolling us again.
Jun 29, 2014 12:38 PM

Dec 2012
Oh gawd. Nanami is scary. I love how her terrifying power defies her appearance and pretext as only as a "frail sister."
Jun 29, 2014 1:05 PM

May 2014
Fucking awesome. I love the troll move too.
Men always seem to think about their past before they die, as though he were frantically searching for proof that he truly lived.
Jul 9, 2014 7:20 PM

Oct 2012
I really wasn't expecting that. Nanami is scary as fuck. I don't like the last thing she said: "Perhaps I should join them in their little sword hunt *creepy smile*". Is she going to become an antagonist? I'm hoping she does, since she's been the most badass character thus far, lol. Though the priest in ep 3 was pretty cool too.
Jul 25, 2014 9:12 AM

Dec 2013
That Hakuhei's sword is beautiful indeed.
Finally someone started to go after Shichika. Retrieving a sword after sword without any punishment would be lame.
Oneesan is back along with her dark side. What a mosnter. Actually I thought she's an imouto.
Sabi Hakuhei fight? Wtf? I wanted to see that...
Why were there 4 graves at the end ?
Sep 8, 2014 1:00 AM

Jan 2014
What a troll episode....10/10
Sep 14, 2014 2:13 PM

May 2013
Today marks the day I was trolled by an anime, and I loved it.
Oct 8, 2014 7:34 PM

Nov 2011
Major disconnect for me; critically speaking, it was fresh and well done. There was an intentional tease and troll, as well as an expansion of Nanami's character. Personally, though, I'm a bit peeved at the show right now, and not in the good way. ~.~

I do hope there's some sort of basis for Nanami's haxness, though. It feels a bit buttpull-ish/worldbreaking.

Inb4 Nanami steals all the swords and becomes the final opponent.
Oct 19, 2014 2:47 PM

Sep 2014
This show is exhausting. It's all dialogue, dialogue, dialogue

FIGHT!

10 seconds later dialogue, dialogue, dialogue
Oct 26, 2014 2:47 PM

Feb 2013
notsomacho said:
This show is exhausting. It's all dialogue, dialogue, dialogue

FIGHT!

10 seconds later dialogue, dialogue, dialogue
You say this with Bakemonogatari in your favorites?
Oct 28, 2014 2:26 PM

Nov 2011
Kreemy said:
You say this with Bakemonogatari in your favorites?

He even skipped to the end. What a waste. :|
Nov 18, 2014 9:11 PM
Jun 2013
That smile tho...Nanami is super creepy. Very unexpected.
Nov 26, 2014 6:07 AM

Sep 2014
Best troll ever! Loved it. Didn't expect it. Also love how the Anime acknowledges it. :P
Anyways, Nanami is a complete badass and I hope we get to see more of her in action. :D
Nov 26, 2014 4:45 PM

Jul 2012
Nanami is crazy!
Dec 4, 2014 1:54 AM
Nov 2010
The message of this episode really hits home with the narration near then end:
"However, the position of strongest swordsman is but a provisional one".

The show demonstrates that one should not rely a mere title or impression - to not judge a book by its cover. So Nanami's "battle" is shown as it is deceptively the more significant one.

Or, you know... budget cut.
Dec 14, 2014 5:58 AM

Aug 2013
HAHAHA.. Togame has a new trait.
She's weak at her collarbones.. Shichika good job ! XD
Also Nanami is so freaking scary oh my gosh.. shocking truth !!
Those poor minawani ninjas... I feel really bad for them this episode lol.
I can see why most MC are weak.. I naturally rooted for the maniwani gang. XD
Wait what ? Where is the battle with Sabi ?? The preview was a complete fake ?!!
But Nanami was totally dominating this episode.. hope to see her more.
Dec 27, 2014 8:37 PM

Mar 2012
Why the hell would you not show the battle between the protagonist and the show's "Japan's strongest"?

"Have you ever encounter a wild beast that guarantees to never bite anyone?" ~ Roronoa Zoro
Jan 2, 2015 8:36 PM

Jun 2014
That was pretty dick of them. Promise a huge fight scene. Dont deliver. Have the characters talk about how awesome it was.
What we DID get however was the sister being SCARY AS FUCK.
and a little bit of cuteness, but also showing us that these characters are indeed adults. No awkward blushing at something as simple as the others naked body. And the big guy only thinks of himself as a weapon, has no interest in women.
Be sure to message me if you quoted me and want me to respond! Just give me a link to the forum, because usually I leave my comment, then leave the forum.
Jan 25, 2015 1:46 PM

Nov 2012
10/10 Trolling. 5/5 episode.
Jan 26, 2015 12:16 PM

Aug 2013
Trolling factor nearly as high as in Endless Eight.
Just as awesome.
Jan 27, 2015 11:12 AM

Nov 2013
lel they didn't show the fight.
The preview for it looked so good.

I can see you

Feb 4, 2015 8:40 PM
Jan 2012
Great episode, Nanami is a bad ass. Seeing Nanami beat the Insect Squad surely was more interesting than yet another Shichika fight.

Poor girl suffered a lot :( Is she going to become an antagonist? It feels like she will and that will be great, if it happens. A final fight between siblings would be amazing, preferably with Shichika losing or both dying.
Feb 5, 2015 1:10 PM

Jun 2014
First of all, this was the best episode out of all of them so far. I really liked nanami, and I think she may fight Shichika at the end, especially after she mentioned the 12th stance thing.

I also felt pretty bad for those insect maniwa people. It's been a while since I forget that the bad guys are the bad guys in an episode. Admittedly I was rooting for them more than nanami, and the ending when that bee guy asked to be buried with his comrade was pretty touching. It really shows how close they were.

And contrary to everyone else here, although I was disappointed when I got to the end of the episode and they didn't show the fight with sabi, I was so engrossed with nanami's fight that I didn't even remember until the end.
Mar 3, 2015 10:10 PM

Aug 2014
Wow, was expecting Nanami to at least be able to defend herself. Turns out she is actually a sadistic monster who can learn any technique by seeing it once and master it by seeing it twice.

Salty that we didn't get to see the fight vs the strongest swordsman in the country though.
May 13, 2015 8:49 PM

Oct 2012
Well this show just trolled my really hard and I LOVED EVERY SECOND OF IT.
May 16, 2015 2:51 PM
Dec 2014
Well, this episode really raised some eyebrows like narrator's mentioned. It was the best episode so far in the show, but I feel like I got trolled.

Wow, espacially thinking Nanami has the same voice actor as Clannad's Nagisa makes her creepier.
May 26, 2015 10:43 AM

Dec 2013
that was a very successful troll episode. Even though I really wanted to Shichika's fight I was not disappoint with this episode at all. I kinda figured Nanami would just get captured but instead we got something amazing lol.
Jun 5, 2015 9:15 AM

Jan 2013
Oh boy ... the troll ending - I laughed so hard when they were explaining it :D

As for the Insect Squad ... I felt really bad for them :/
As for Nanami ... she's seriously way to strong, just learning skills by observing them.

10/10 for troll ending.
Jun 6, 2015 6:35 AM

Dec 2013
Not sure how I feel about this episode....

The stuff with Nanami was amazing and is now my favourite part of this series so far but OMFG that was a massive troll. They even shoved the offscreened fight in our faces. That really pissed me off.

Still this is definitely my favourite episode so far :)
Jun 8, 2015 2:29 PM

Sep 2014
Why didn't they show the fight scene :(
Jun 17, 2015 2:12 AM

Dec 2013
This episode really was something, definitely best so far. I'm quite astonished. The episode focusing entirely on Nanami was a bit refreshing from last episodes and the fact that they didn't show us the fight vs "the strongest in the world" only makes me like the show even more.
Jul 6, 2015 2:24 PM

Jun 2011
Wow. This episode was pure brilliance.
I think the fact that they didn't show us that fight with 'Japan's strongest' makes this show shine even more. Personally I loved it.
Jul 7, 2015 2:48 AM

May 2009
This "troll episode" (which it really is) turned out to be my favorite episode thus far, the development of the bug bros was really intriguing. One of them even having a set goal to marry after that fight. I really felt sorry for the bug bros, and ended up rooting for them instead of that yandare bitch. However Nanami was just too much, something I did not expect, she may be even greater then her little brother, I do wonder if she might turn into an antgonist later... We'll see.
Jul 9, 2015 1:34 PM

Aug 2014
1 word to describe this episode- fuck.

Anime is good, fucking deal with it.
Jul 14, 2015 12:18 AM

Nov 2012
They killed Sabi off screen wtf.

That sucks.
Jul 23, 2015 3:49 PM
Dec 2014
Wow cool episode. Really like this show so far: it is very different.

The girl is scary but remember that she was fighting against evil ninja. NOT innocent civvies. And she gave them a respectable burial, very important in Asian cultures. Just don't piss her of lol.
Aug 3, 2015 12:48 PM

Jun 2015
The episode was 0k, but we will not see the fight agaits the strongest of Japan? That´s not fai :(
Aug 19, 2015 3:10 AM
Jul 2015
Weirdly aroused by Nanami. Damn I need more badass women like her.
Never really care for the two main characters though. Hope that they will finally grow on me.
People who complains that we didnt get to see the fight against the strongest of Japan... they obviously don't realize that they witnessed the strongest of Japan fight.
Sep 16, 2015 5:18 AM

Sep 2012
I really wanted to see that fight! Especially after all of Shichika's fantasies about being cool all using him......

However, I totally don't mind getting trolled like this. I've never once been let down by an anime and enjoyed it so damn much. 10 Creepy Nanami Smiles out of 10.
Sep 28, 2015 10:24 PM

Nov 2011
I'm amazed how people are complaining about missing a sword fight. It's a sword fight, we've seen plenty of those already and I'm sure we'll get more in future episodes.

Great episode.
Nov 30, 2015 9:55 PM

Feb 2010
What. The. Actual. Fuck. Nanami. Thanks. Preview.

Dec 16, 2015 7:24 PM

Jul 2014
Better than what I expected.

5/5
Jan 19, 2016 10:12 PM
Jul 2013
Was told this was a good episode, and I loved the hell out of it. I wasn't even thinking about the fight as Insect Squad did their thing. Was already roped in before this episode but now I wanna blaze through the rest, easy 5/5.
Mar 26, 2016 5:20 AM
May 2010
I find how that she was too powerful to become the next head, rather than just having a sick body... I have a bad feeling about where this might be going. That Marriage death flag...
Viper_607Mar 26, 2016 5:24 AM
Apr 17, 2016 12:27 AM

Jan 2010

Merciless.

Underneath the bright layers of colorful art, the fast eccentric comedy and the happy-go-lucky attitude of the show, Katanagatari is merciless. The show goes out of its way to flesh out its characters, and makes it a point to kill them efficiently and without remorse. Though, I could compare this to other shows that kill off its characters in droves, and one could argue that characters in Katagatari are introduced only to get offed.

What's different here, however, is perhaps by the purposes of those deaths. These characters seem to have inherent purposes for why they're introduced, and it's through their deaths that causes the plot to move forward. I suppose they're weak as individual characters, despite what characterization the show attempts to implement, but they served their purposes in the narrative. That, and compared to the previous ninjas, the Insect Squad were treated with a lot more respect, both in how they think, act, fight, and died. That aside, the episode also uncovered mysteries regarding Nanami, and it pushed her into becoming involved with the plot. Obviously I feel bad for the Insect Squad, but that's because they're portrayed in a less-than-antagonistic light and were utterly stomped, despite their goal of kidnapping Nanami. The marriage after suicide mission bit was a bad move, as it's a cheap way to garner sympathy. That took me out of it a bit, but otherwise, the episode did work for me.

Also, that troll ending was real. Shichika and Togame barely survived that amazingly close fight - of which was entirely off screen. The show made it a point to describe how amazing the fight was as well, which was an amazing blow for viewers. Merciless to its characters as it is to its audience. At least it's consistent.

Well, that's it for the month of April. Onwards to May~
ShockedApr 17, 2016 12:38 AM
Apr 24, 2016 1:16 PM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Ha sido un episodio diferente a los habituales, y al cambiar el ritmo, consigue mayor audiencia y expectación. Me alegro.
May 17, 2016 1:46 AM

Jul 2013
What a troll preview the one of the previous episode. They didn't show the fight with Sabi and later they rub how epic the battle was in our face. I love it.

I felt bad for the Insect Squad, they were more symphatetic than the previous Maniwa members and they were killed without any mercy. Nanami is awesome and scary.
May 18, 2016 2:40 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Knew Nanami was going to turn out to be better than Shichika because it caught me off guard in the first episode when she was the one to notice Koumori first and saved Shichika and Togame. To me that meant she had a lot of skills, but I wasn't expecting her to be so OP, given her weak constitution. Quite the exciting episode. Still, I agree with TripleS that Nanami's OPness is world breaking, even if she had the power of observation, being able to physically do something new should be very difficult to replicate at all. Granted she wasn't a master the first time she tried, but it's still hard to believe. I don't mind it too much though, Nanami was cool, and I liked her backstory. People need to stop calling her sadistic, she showed no sadistic tendency in this episode. Sure she said she needed to punish Shichika, but it seemed to me that she punishes him out of good will, making him a stronger person befitting of being the head of the Koutouryuu style. And like a few others mentioned, Nanami gave them choices, and she listened to their wishes (burying them together). She's not a ball of sunshine, but she's courteous. She attacked because they attacked. I think Nanami's stoic personality is fitting given what she has to go through, withstanding pain that feels like poison (although what even is that kind of condition). This makes her come off as cold.

But anyways, I skimmed through the debate about dialogue and this being a visual medium, and I agree about the visuals. There's quite the lack of animation going on, and while ~24 minute episodes can get away with some still frames or rather static scenes, an anime with lots of dialogue and is almost an hour cannot. But I guess that depends on your level of immersion. I had no problem with it this episode because I was almost immersed the whole way through, starting from the Maniwani going to the island. In the other episodes though, the lack of animation was particularly noticeable. There's also the cinematography part too. While there are some really cool directing choices, most of the time it feels rather flat or basic.

As for the dialogue, I noticed that I don't even find it to be a lot as long as it's not Shichika and Togame conversing. Maybe it's because I don't find either of them particularly intriguing, I'm feeling more indifferent about Shichika as the show goes on, although Togame is less annoying as long as she's not raising her voice or saying "cheerio!" Hopefully this will change? When it comes to them though, I have to mute them, and I find just reading the subs to be a much easier way to focus. I think part of it has to be the dialogue delivery, they don't speak like normal people do, with pauses. They are indeed voice acting, changing inflections and whatnot, but the flow sounds like they're reading from a script. There are people I know who can speak rather fast, I do too, but people will pauses once or twice to get their thoughts together, even if it's just a 1-2 second pause. It's not like that here, so it feels very artificial. I imagine reading to be a better experience, since you can read with pauses yourself. But again, this seems like it's only a problem with Shichika and Togame. And Koumori.

Forgot to mention how I liked that the Mushigumi from Maniwani were humanized in this episode, they didn't feel villainous, and they had a interesting dynamic. Shame that I can't say the same (yet?) for Shichika and Togame.

Why did I write so much....
tingyMay 18, 2016 2:43 PM
Pages (9) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 9 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Katanagatari Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

stevewiess01 - Jul 9, 2010

225 by valennienana »»
Apr 25, 7:04 AM

» END SPOILERS - I’ve Never Witnessed Such Epic Implosion

deaf_amish_guy - Jun 6, 2020

10 by Nesquikscope »»
Mar 31, 1:16 AM

Poll: » Katanagatari Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

removed-user - Feb 8, 2010

180 by ariharan_ars »»
Feb 3, 10:31 AM

Poll: » Katanagatari Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Dec 10, 2010

631 by I_LIKE_ANIME_SO »»
Jan 3, 9:06 AM

Poll: » Katanagatari Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

removed-user - Jan 25, 2010

333 by Dumb »»
Jul 30, 2023 5:55 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.