3It was OK
21.7%
2Disliked it
6.9%
1Hated it
2.0%
Average 3.9
350 votes
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 5, 2022 8:30 AM

Nov 2011
It was a fun start I guess. Eve has my attention the most out of the cast introduced so far. I didn't get much of a golf anime yet but I suppose they're going to take time to build more into the story.

Eve seems like a really cool girl with her personality and seems likable.

Idk, maybe this anime will have potential. Will have to see more...
Apr 5, 2022 8:30 AM

Jul 2017
YUP...this is typical golf, the first proper golf anime by people whom know how to make one...though it has its caveats.

This is women's golf, plus some "superpower" kind of intricacies for women with different play styles: the punk gal Eve whom can play golf at any field, her ace-in-the-hole perfect shot of a "Rainbow Bullet" with her caddie Lily with money to bet and match with only 3 clubs at her disposal, and the elegant Aoi Amawashi whom plays just like your typical PGA pro tourer.

Also, what the hell is with the Gunpla insert? Oh I know why, this is produced by BN (Bandai Namco) Pictures, so Bandai naturally is a show sponsor.

Eve vs Aoi, the golf balls of Birdie Wing vs. Pac-Man, the show begins to take shape.

This ain't bad, but it almost felt like it came from a game source, although the show is completely made original. A rather decent start.
KANLen09Apr 6, 2022 4:25 AM
Apr 5, 2022 2:01 PM

Feb 2020
Yeah, I have been waiting for this. I'm glad this is a proper season instead of a single episode, like Sorairo Utility.
Apr 5, 2022 8:39 PM
ehhhhhh

Jun 2016
Just dropped on CR. I didn't hate it. The weather is starting to get nice here, so I'm itching to hit the range. This didn't help matters lol. I definitely wasn't expecting the Happy Gilmore-ness of it. Then again I didn't watch the trailer or anything. 3/5 for episode 1.
I'm no Weeaboo
I'm Katsura
Apr 5, 2022 8:57 PM

Aug 2015
This is the exact amount of stupid that I want in this kind of anime.
Loved it, exceeded my expectations.
Apr 5, 2022 9:41 PM
Nov 2021
The first episode also surpassed my expectations, and I'm actually surprised with how fun it was. Now I'm interested in seeing how this show will turn out, while anticipating for the next episode.
Apr 5, 2022 10:06 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
Exactly the good amount of goof to make golf interesting without going overboard, god I laughed hard at the train part lmao.

It's not perfect but it's a pretty solid start.
DatRandomDudeApr 5, 2022 10:13 PM
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Apr 5, 2022 10:07 PM

Feb 2019
I haven't had any interest in gold for many years, even then it was just a couple of video games I had. for some reason, I had no reservations in watching this show and I'm glad that with this 1st episode is entertaining me enough. hopefully the future episode hold up for this original show.
The line below is True.
The line above is False.
Apr 5, 2022 10:13 PM
Apr 2019
I liked it, I just felt like the pacing was kinda fast in the first episode. There seemed to be pressure to introduce a lot of characters and plot ideas but it happened so fast and didn't seem to flow as well as I would have liked.
Apr 5, 2022 11:16 PM

Dec 2020
bartender lady is mad cute y'all
Apr 5, 2022 11:32 PM

Sep 2018
The anime established very early on that it's not conforming to realism, lol...

Hell, they should have went the whole nine yards and made her make that shot when she hit through the train and struck the rake XD

Decent start.
Apr 6, 2022 2:31 AM

Sep 2008
The absurdity of the whole thing between golf hustling and making ridiculous stunt shots got my attention for this, telling me the anime's just having fun with the whole thing to keep its focus on golf engaging for the audience. How long it keeps me engaged will likely come down to what it does for its storytelling and premise for later episodes. But for right now, consider me interested.
Apr 6, 2022 2:40 AM

Sep 2018
I kind of liked how it's not even trying to take itself seriously with Blondies shots. The laws of physics don't exist as we know them.

Very fast paced opening, I though it was going to be realistic CGDCGT.
Apr 6, 2022 3:06 AM
Jul 2018
it's pretty good, i will say, i always liked sports animes, so i will see further into it. this show won't be something too big or amazing but will still be entertaining as far as I can see...
4/5 for now...
Apr 6, 2022 3:20 AM

Aug 2020
Good start for episode 1. Very exciting and interesting. Can't wait to see the battle of Aoi and Eve next ep!

» [The World's Continuation【世界のつづき】- UTA/Ado ♪] «
0:00 〇────── 4:55
↺ |◁ II ▷| ♡

Come and Join us!
Evil Club ψ
FuwaFuwa Sanctuary ✿
✿ DeaD Blossoms ✿
Apr 6, 2022 3:41 AM

May 2021
I was wondering if golf would be interesting or not, turns out that if you remove a bit of realism, it is pretty entertaining.

Also, Eve's motivation is pretty good as well.

Apr 6, 2022 3:46 AM
Apr 2020
Didn't expect a cheesy golf anime, but here it is I guess :/ Not my cup of tea, but I will still watch it because boredom.
Music is definitely the highlight. The op is banger. The insert song is okay, and the soundtracks are fun as hell.
Apr 6, 2022 5:54 AM

Dec 2016
I'm not too sure about this one.

The CG fields popped off too much in the first match, it made the characters look like they were floating (bad composition) although on the later matches it looked better.

The almost "sports shonen" tropes of trick moves and long exposition flashbacks during the actual shot always nauseate me because they only drag out what should be a fast and strenght/skill driven scene. I'm ok with the rival trope though, since it adds expectations and competition between the characters.

The rest is quite fine, an interesting premise of 2 swindlers making meets end with illegal bets on questionable courses driven by a group of orphans and a bartender that's been blackmailed by cop's protection.

I'll apply the three rule episode on this one.
Apr 6, 2022 6:02 AM

Oct 2018
A stupidly over-the-top golf anime is what I’ve been waiting for my whole life

Apr 6, 2022 6:33 AM
Dec 2020
The train part hooked me, peak fiction
Apr 6, 2022 7:08 AM

Nov 2016
Hot neesans doing over-the-top golf with extra cheese > cute girls doing sports for fun

What a wacky surprise, I hope this can keep me engaged all the way.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Apr 6, 2022 7:15 AM

Jan 2021
As a person who plays golf I feel obligated to watch this show, and from first impressions I don't think it will disappoint. Its so stupid its funny to me and I need a show like that this season. Golf girls with superpowers, impossible shots, a fun overly confident main character, I'm all in.
Apr 6, 2022 7:17 AM

Jul 2011
This episode was way too much funny than it suppose to be,by:
Having a underground golf matches.
The most american way to teach golf, that is by using gun instructions.
And making me think that Aoi had the most rich girl air, but then Helene appeared.
Apr 6, 2022 7:51 AM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
Okay episode i guess. Don't really know much about golf, and don't quite like either the beginning cg. But as soon as she used a mask to disguised, and the battle at the train track course happened with the name of shot as a rainbow bullet, then with the opponent using the clown mask which ofc turned out to be that previous old lady. Alright, guys, looks like this is a fun shit sport anime, a simple substitute of Tribe Nine from previous season, that just need me to turned my brain off and let them kicking all those balls. Otherwise, i don't even know why i am here in the first place....
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Apr 6, 2022 9:13 AM

Feb 2014
Mmm, not a fan of the over-the-top parts (breaking a branch with the tiny golf ball?), but I'm still very interested, the animation is nice and Eve is a hottie.
Apr 6, 2022 9:56 AM
Apr 2017
I very much like Eve's character motivations to start out. Even though she's one of those "relentlessly chasing the high" type of characters, they really convey her willingness to help those she cares about even to her own detriment.

I honestly forgot this was a Bamco property until Aoi pulled out the Pac-Man ball, and the shock had me rolling for a couple seconds.

Very excited to see how the dynamic between Aoi and Eve goes down. Having the royalty-esque ingenue vs. the cynical natural isn't exactly new, but I enjoyed the few seconds they had on-screen together, and the machinations in the background by several parties suggest something much more nefarious they both might end up facing.

It's patently ridiculous, and the compositing is bad at points, but the writing's strong, especially around Eve, and the action scenes are enjoyably goofy. 8/10 for Episode 1, very much looking forward to more!
Apr 6, 2022 10:15 AM
Apr 2021
I have no idea as to what to think for this show. it's okay, I don't understand golf irl so I thought maybe this would explain a few things, yes it's cool, but overall it's just weird.
Apr 6, 2022 10:17 AM

Jan 2022
I've never really been interested in golf, but just had to watch this anime cause of the art style. It was definitely worth it too, can't wait to see the match between Eve and Aoi in the next episode.

Out of the 4 animes from this season I've started this is definitely my favourite, just hope it doesn't disappoint in later episodes. Might even say it's a hidden gem of the season
Apr 6, 2022 10:43 AM
Mar 2009
The initial level of absurdity reminded me a little of Pro Golfer Saru. Hopefully it continues to aim at such heights of golfing craziness.
Apr 6, 2022 11:08 AM

Mar 2014
Hmmm I think this anime would've been better if it's a game.
Apr 6, 2022 11:52 AM
Sep 2015
No one mention One Outs yet? I thought One Outs protagonist might find Eve a perfect girlfriend material. Both have yellow hair, both mix the Hustling and Gambling to the sports, both are extremely talent but not properly trained in a professional way. Both are street survivors. Both are getting into a professional world.

I'd overjoy if I'm GL shipper, but I'm BL but I find this interesting enough to keep watching.
Apr 6, 2022 1:47 PM
Apr 2019
I was surprised at how solid the first episode was. Totally wasn't expecting it to be as good as it was, hopefully it keeps it up!
Apr 6, 2022 2:38 PM
Sep 2018
this was the best premeire yet I've seen this season. Absolutely love the bonkers plot and the cheesy music (that random music video in the middle had me cracking up lol) really liking forward to how nuts this gets 5/5
Apr 6, 2022 6:38 PM

Mar 2018

nice start, i hope to see cute shoujo ai scenes
Apr 6, 2022 7:47 PM

Oct 2009
This is so much better than expected.

You have an awesome blonde chick as you main character in a golf Anime and characters yell their moves with superpowers... how can you not like this?

It's awesomely over-the-top and want more of this. It's been awhile we hadn't had a sports Anime in which characters yell their moves. Love it!
Apr 6, 2022 10:27 PM

Oct 2008
This was a bit nice!
i wonder if we're ever gonna see an Eagle and the most ultra hyper rare of all Double Eagle!!
4/5.

Apr 6, 2022 11:02 PM

Apr 2016
way better than expected! I'mma enjoy this one alot
Apr 6, 2022 11:46 PM
Oct 2021
Hype Golf? damn. I smell sport anime of the season. can't wait for the other colored bullet
Apr 7, 2022 1:03 AM
Jan 2017
a bit disappointing..
At first I thought that this anime was about a woman who plays golf due to her difficult life and shows her strong determination from there for the sake of her family,,
But when the Japanese girl arrived it was like mocking how to play for a living..
maybe this is to give him a new aim or perspective on golf... i don't know... i hope the next eps doesn't disappoint
Apr 7, 2022 3:19 AM
Jan 2020
Honestly, this is pretty good. At first I found this show a little..jarring? Maybe it's just me and my own notions of what golf is (ie chill) mixed with the higher stakes introduced here. But this episode definitely piqued my interest enough to continue with this season.
Apr 7, 2022 4:24 AM
Jun 2013
Take Michiko from Michiko & Hatchin and make her play golf and you’ve got Eve from Birdie’s Wing. The setup and character motivations remind me of Iron Blooded Orphens. It has the named power moves of sports anime like Prince of Tennis. I think we’re in for a wild ride and I am here for it!

Plus Eve is a babe. Totally my type.
Apr 7, 2022 5:22 AM

Oct 2016
I did not expect this to be this over the top lmao, but I like it. It's pretty understandable too, they gotta add a little spice to make gold exciting to watch, since it's usually chill like in Sorairo Utility, but they're going for a more action-ish approach. Show has got my interest, but I hope they keep it up without getting stale.
Apr 7, 2022 11:32 AM

Jul 2016
If Carole & Tuesday and SK8 the Infinity had a child...

Heh... I don't know about this one, chief. I was actually expecting a more down-to-earth spokon but got some power fantasy shit with impossible shots instead. Not to mention the joke about Lily keeping her virginity felt tasteless af.

Mediocre start overall.
Apr 7, 2022 4:49 PM
Oct 2015
This is the most anime-like thing I've seen in a long time in every sense. The waifus, the ridiculous shots and physics, the deep character motivations and possibly tragic backstories.
Usually, I tend to prefer more realistic stuff in these type of shows, but this seems to fit pretty well. I'm already invested on it. Pretty cool style too.
If I had to complain about something, it would be the fast pace. I can't be truly sympathetic if they spoon feed us like that. But yeah, I'm having a hard time deciding whether I love or hate this show. Anyway, we'll see what this has to offer.
Apr 7, 2022 8:16 PM

Jul 2020
So not only this anime has Gundam references but there's also Scryed references as well. Eve is basically Kazuma with her brute strength approach to golfing and even shouts "something something BULLET" when making her shots. They couldn't have made it more obvious even if they wanted to.

It's a bit weird to see this kind of homage to old Sunrise shows in a sports anime to be quite honest. It doesn't feel right to me for some reason.

BUT. I'm totally hooked and can't wait to watch more of this anime.
JustAnAnimeListApr 7, 2022 8:19 PM
Apr 7, 2022 10:45 PM

Jun 2021
I wage dollars to dounts this was what most other people expected:
a serious and down-to-earth girl sports anime about golf, that isn't designed to be cute or fanservicey.

This is what we got:
Main character is not a golfer, rather a hitwoman for hire who hits balls to make money, even going undercover as pros. She lives in this futuristic version of the American (?) slums in a bar with her sister and a sexy bar lady and they are taking care of three orphan kids. She makes money for the kids, you see.

Then there's this underground golf game on train tracks against a creepy old guy and a lady in a clown mask. Not to worry, our main character has super moves that defy basic physics and she's practically unbeatable.

Then we go to a professional golf course where our main character plays against a young pro, who then immediately forfeits because MC destroys a tree with a ball and thinks "nah, not worth it". Then, seemingly our OTHER main character, who is an up-and-coming pro (with a rich CEO mother who's pushing her to success and the stereotypical data anaylsis nerd by her side) who we kept cutting to throughout the episode, shows up, challenges MC #1, and I guess the show will follow these two girls and their journey together to tear the sport of golf a new asshole.

Also, there was scenes of MC #1 looking sad and angsty against sepia backgrounds in the slums, set to music straight out of Carole and Tuesday. And the little sister is a weeb who loves Gundam. And MC #2 has Pac-Man golf balls (yeah, Bandai Namco's involvement in this show isn't subtle at all).

I... don't know what to make of this. I think it's best if people go into this completely blind and turn their expectations WAY down. This is not a typical sports anime by any stretch, this is a crazy mishmash of anime bullshit disguised as a show about girls playing golf, but it's put together in the best possible way.

I described last season's Tribe Nine as a luxury car crashing on the freeway that you couldn't help but gawk at. If I had to describe Birdie Wing based on this first episode alone, I'd call it a luxury car covered in grafitti, that attempted to crash on the side of a freeway, but is now driving on two wheels and somehow vomiting rainbows out the exhaust pipe.

A crazy thing, and you're not entirely sure how it's possible, but you're glad you slowed down to gawk at it.
Apr 8, 2022 4:47 AM
Dec 2021
Pretty good tbh, looking forward to see how this goes on.

I'm level on MAL-Badges. View my badges.
Apr 8, 2022 9:12 AM
Aug 2015
matias067 said:
This was a bit nice!
i wonder if we're ever gonna see an Eagle and the most ultra hyper rare of all Double Eagle!!
4/5.

Very rare indeed, as in golf that'd be an Albatross. ;)

Must say I loved the opening episode, it's almost but not quite golf... Eve would be thrown off any course as soon as she shouted out that catch phrase!
Ans I'm sure a golf ball could break a small branch, but not at that distance.
Still, with some popcorn to hand I'm looking forward to the rest of the series.
Apr 8, 2022 8:27 PM

Mar 2018
i think i know how basketball players feel when they see kuroko butcher their sport and add superpowers. sorairo utility outsold

For real though, putting my own personal experience/love of golf aside? This was a fun time. This is literally the Mario Golf anime and I cant stop laughing abt it
Apr 8, 2022 10:40 PM

Jan 2016
This bitch hit a straight shot between the carts of a moving train to hit and bounce off of a fucking rake LMAO
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Birdie Wing: Golf Girls' Story Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 28, 2022

65 by Tsinelas »»
Jan 13, 8:49 PM

Poll: » Birdie Wing: Golf Girls' Story Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 21, 2022

53 by Tsinelas »»
Jan 10, 7:23 PM

Poll: » Birdie Wing: Golf Girls' Story Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Jun 14, 2022

34 by Tsinelas »»
Jan 8, 9:41 PM

Poll: » Birdie Wing: Golf Girls' Story Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Jun 7, 2022

42 by Tsinelas »»
Jan 6, 10:40 PM

Poll: » Birdie Wing: Golf Girls' Story Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 31, 2022

56 by Tsinelas »»
Jan 3, 9:27 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.