Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 10, 2007 11:51 PM

Aug 2006
Unfortunately I've never played a game in the Tales series before so I wasn't going to watch this OVA but I'm glad that I changed my mind. I thought this OVA was very good since I liked the animation, the fantasy world setting, the story seems good and the fight scenes were great (Lloyd's combo when he first used the Exsphere was pretty sweet!). I definitely noticed all the RPG elements in this OVA even without playing the game before. Anyways, I'm definitely looking forward to the next OVA release.
Jun 11, 2007 7:11 AM

May 2007
I loved it! The animation was really good, slightly better than the ones in-game. Being a fan of the; Tales Of series, Although I did expect some consistancies (followign the game) but in fact, i think some of the changes were better. Such as the beginning. Way better than the game.
Jun 11, 2007 7:54 AM

Oct 2006
well I never played any of the games so maybe that's the reason I wasn't very impressed. there were some cool scenes. Like that combo you metioned zanmato666. Almost felt like there was a guy on a gamepad playing the character :P.

But overall the plot wasn't very appealing to me... and btw... how come there's a huge explosion when the half-elf shoots at loyd , and there's no damage to the surrounding area...? yet 3 minutes later, everything is trashed... :o
That scene failed...

Still since it's only 4 episodes, and there were some good scenes. I'm prolly gonna see it through.
Jun 11, 2007 6:34 PM

May 2007
Has someone subbed the first OVA yet? Or are they still working on it? And if it has been subbed, any idea where I may be able to download it from? Torrent?
Jun 11, 2007 6:43 PM

Feb 2007
Yes, via torrent. LOL A group called Hard Gay Fansubs subbed it :P
Jun 11, 2007 8:29 PM

Oct 2006
That's quite a name hehe. I'll have to watch this one - I never played Tales of Symphonia, though I would if it came out for PS2, but if it's understandable without having played the game I'll definitely check it out.

Unfortunately I've never played a game in the Tales series before

You should check out Tales of the Abyss. It's no Xenosaga, but I quite enjoyed it.
Jun 11, 2007 8:38 PM

Nov 2004
I fear watching this cause it might affect my enjoyment of Symphonia when I finally get to play it. I mean I'm not gonna believe anyone can squeeze a Tales game into some 4 episode OVA. Absolute rubbish.

I hope Symphonia lives up to its hype. I liked Abyss... and most like Symphonia better, so yeah...
Jun 12, 2007 12:43 AM

Nov 2006
Thought it was very enjoyable, but I agree with Crystal. No way the whole story is getting shoved into 4 episodes and still have it be good, haha.

Zelos plz!
Jun 12, 2007 1:09 AM

Mar 2007
I actually liked the anime scenes better in the game than this. And the story was kinda, everything really rushed in this episode. So most likely the rest will do the same.
They should've screwed making it an OVA and go for a 24 episode anime or something instead, and show more of the events.

Crystal said:

I hope Symphonia lives up to its hype. I liked Abyss... and most like Symphonia better, so yeah...

Phantasia for SNES was the best tales game ever, imo. That one is so great.
Jun 12, 2007 11:35 AM

Feb 2007
I'm really impressed I must say. :D

Only thing that annoyed me was that the sub I watched had "Desians" subbed as "Tethe'allans", which really just doesnt work - you can clearly hear them say Desians.
Jun 12, 2007 11:58 AM
Mar 2007
It's a lot of fun to see how they animated the locations from the game. It's been a while since I played it, a feast of recognition.

I don't know if I'd like it without having played the game.

Oh, and Sobzob, I wholeheartedly agree on ToP. I'd love to see that one coming to Wii's VC. Although I doubt the "I bet she fucks like a tiger" line will be in that one.
Jun 12, 2007 12:01 PM

Apr 2007
Leadcat said:
I'm really impressed I must say. :D

Only thing that annoyed me was that the sub I watched had "Desians" subbed as "Tethe'allans", which really just doesnt work - you can clearly hear them say Desians.
Ewww, that's not a good mistake to make. If you've played the game then you'd understand where "Tethe'allans" comes from (and it seems from the way you said that you have), and that's kinda a spoiler >.<

But yeah, I think it was pretty good. I can't imagine, in any way shape or form, how they could get ALL of the story into 4 30min episodes. Maybe they plan on doing the "second half" of the story as a separately titled series? I hope they don't just plan on cutting it off and calling it good at the half way point.
Jun 12, 2007 12:11 PM

Feb 2007
after seeing this...
I have to play the game again...

Donate to my awesomeness! | "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
Jun 12, 2007 12:54 PM

Feb 2007
Roketsu said:

But yeah, I think it was pretty good. I can't imagine, in any way shape or form, how they could get ALL of the story into 4 30min episodes. Maybe they plan on doing the "second half" of the story as a separately titled series? I hope they don't just plan on cutting it off and calling it good at the half way point.

Yeah, at this rate I could only see them getting up to the Tower of Salvation after 4 episodes.
Jun 12, 2007 8:30 PM

Mar 2007
I actually liked this episode. I've never played the game, but it made me want to. Kratos is hot :D
Jun 13, 2007 3:47 PM

May 2007
Finally got the episode.
Have to say it was okay. For some reason, I could have sworn I heard that they were going to air 13 episodes, but I guess I must have read something wrong, because now I can only find 4 episodes to be aired. I assume they are drastically going to skip a lot of the story and just focus on the main events. The game was amazing.
Jun 13, 2007 8:32 PM

Aug 2006
Because I've played the game, and really enjoyed it, I will never watch this OVA.

That may sound crazy, but it actually makes sense. *nods*
Jun 13, 2007 10:52 PM

Jun 2007
Kinda disappointing that there's only gonna be 4 episodes, but I thought it was pretty good. I'm eager to see more fight scenes.
Jun 15, 2007 8:50 PM

Feb 2007
Wow, just watched it. I understand that starting at the beginning is important, but how they'll handle only four episodes will be interesting. There are so many characters. If they actually try going through the whole story, will they have time for each character. Sheena's important of course. Zelos is also important. Regal and Presea (hate to admit) aren't that important, but I still want to see them. And then there's all the summon spirits, but most of that can be skipped. Ah, and then there's Tethe'Alla. lol Open ending perhaps? We see our heroes heading into the Tower of Salvation, or Heimdall, or whatever.

I want to see my axe-wielding Presea with good screen time.
Jun 22, 2007 8:59 PM

Nov 2004
Oh, and I saw this finally. But having not played Symphonia I can't compare it. Thought it was alright. I could see a rush of scenes though. If only I played Symphonia.
Jun 22, 2007 9:09 PM

May 2007
I played Tales of Symphonia and there a some differences between the game and series, but none of them have ruined the story for me. For the most part, it's still Tales of Symphonia.

I'm a bit surprised by the close relationship between Colette and Lloyd, but the game hinted at something being there.

I really like the series thus far, but I agree with what many folks are saying about squeezing it into 4 episodes. This can be a 6-10 episode series and would be great. Still, to see it animated is quite nice. I can't wait to see Sheena and Zel, and...

It was also funny to see the claymation ED sequence typical of ufotable. Real cute.
Jun 22, 2007 10:55 PM

Jan 2007
ReverseHarem said:
I actually liked this episode. I've never played the game, but it made me want to. Kratos is hot :D

Kratos looks effin` SEXY.

This one`s definately amazing;; the art`s beautiful && so are the action scenes. I can`t wait to see more. :3
I think Collet & Lloyd is one of the cutest couples i`ve ever seen. Even if they`re not together yet. xD
I want this game, too <3
Jul 27, 2007 1:59 AM
Jul 2007
i thought it was actually pretty good and i think the last 3 episodes look promising. the animation is beautiful and im lovin the music. i have a feeling the pace will end up working out alright, though a lot from the game is gonna be left out.

i wish ToS could be a full-length anime >.< but oh well, its fine so far, like the Phantasia OAV.
...we're here because we're here because we're here because we're here because we're here because we're here because we're here because we're here because we're here because we're here because we're here...
Jul 29, 2007 5:16 PM
Jul 2007
i think that they should of put more episodes. I mean I think that 4 is just not enough. And i agree with leadcat. Tethe'allans sounds to weird but when u think about it, it sort of make sense considering the other half of the story and they made the beginning better than it was on the game. and is it me or did they put the game animation (u know the anime cutscenes) in it because i swear that when they showed the tower it was the same animation.
if not, then i must be crazy huh
XD
Jul 30, 2007 10:58 AM

Jul 2007
srimongka said:
and is it me or did they put the game animation (u know the anime cutscenes) in it because i swear that when they showed the tower it was the same animation.
if not, then i must be crazy huh
XD

Not sure, but it is not a surprise cause the game anime is also great (I love the song-- starry heavens)
Feb 16, 2008 2:06 AM

Dec 2007
I could swear I read somewhere that 8 episodes were going to be aired. I guess the 4 episodes will reach to half the story on the game, or something like that. Otherwise, they would have to rush it A LOT.

Anyway, I enjoyed this first episode, and hopefully it will be the same with the rest. There are a few minor changes, but the basic story is the same, so I guess it doesn't matter. ^_^

By the way, Lloyd and Collete did have a close relationship on the game.
May 30, 2008 2:34 PM

Oct 2007
I haven't played the game, but I thought this was a really cute first episode. It defenitely felt like it was based off a game, which was kinda fun. Llyod's combo when he first used the gem was AWESOME. It was also really awesome when the half elf guy thre lloyd into the house.

I look forward to watching this seris. I just hope it doesn't get too rushed or end unfinished.
Nov 2, 2008 11:36 AM

Mar 2008
I just got the game ... almost halfway done it now. I heard about this anime so I decided to start watching it as I play through the game. Quite impressed so far.

"There is no such thing as God in this world." -Setsuna F. Seiei
Apr 22, 2009 3:34 PM

Mar 2009
I really loved the first scene, Colette <3

"Shitteru, kono sekai ni wa kanashi koto ga ippai iarutte..."

So awesome xD
Dec 5, 2009 11:25 AM
Sep 2009
Never played the game, looks great thus far.
Dec 28, 2009 9:51 AM

Dec 2008
The game's fantastic but they really should have made it more episodes. This way it will only touch the deep story on the surface.

Where was Noishe by the way?

May 2, 2010 8:11 AM
Aug 2009
It was quite good, I never played Symphonia, so I can compare it with game, but as anime, it was alright ^^ I hope next episodes will be as good as this one :)
Jul 4, 2010 3:52 AM

Feb 2009
That was pretty cool.
Sep 12, 2010 1:05 PM

Oct 2009
Never played the game, but the anime looks good =)
Jun 22, 2011 10:48 AM

Jul 2007
This is actually a pretty good episode, but i don't see how in the world they are going to be able to adapat a 70+ hr story line. This episode was great though and actually followed the games story pretty close. I mean they left out a few scenerio's such as loyde killing his mother, they only talked bout it in the anime, but still it was pretty decent.

Aug 28, 2011 7:18 AM

May 2009
Just rewatched this again and I have to say it's actually pretty bad. They shove LloydxColette pairing (I LOVE this pairing but..come on, tone it down for some LloydxSheena too 8u) and leave out the humor TOS had. Thankfully the second series brings some of that humor back. Kratos also needs to talk "I see...hmmm" more and get some more hair flip action pronto.

Narck said:

Where was Noishe by the way?

Feb 3, 2012 4:42 PM

Dec 2010
This seems to be really sweet anime. The RPG and some of the fantasy elements are getting on my nerves, but I like it for other reasons. The story setting is great, something of what I was thinking since long ago. I can easily guess that this is anime not based on a manga by just looking at the artwork even though it's a good one. And Colette is so sweet, really unusual-looking female character.
This evening I felt like watching something which is not part of my "Watching" list already and I think that Tales of Symphonia fitten in the moment just perfectly ^__^.
p.s.: This anime is inspiring me to make a Charmers YGO deck (mm).
MeritasFeb 3, 2012 4:45 PM
Feb 13, 2012 3:15 PM
Jan 2012
Watching this after playing the game, made me enjoy this alot more. The games themselves were quite alot of fun, and they took alot of time to fully play, so watching this short series is good. It seems to follow each other pretty good, so i guess it should get a good rating.
Jan 23, 2013 3:22 PM
Jan 2013
mild_even said:
I played Tales of Symphonia and there a some differences between the game and series, but none of them have ruined the story for me. For the most part, it's still Tales of Symphonia.

I'm a bit surprised by the close relationship between Colette and Lloyd, but the game hinted at something being there.

I really like the series thus far, but I agree with what many folks are saying about squeezing it into 4 episodes. This can be a 6-10 episode series and would be great. Still, to see it animated is quite nice. I can't wait to see Sheena and Zel, and...

It was also funny to see the claymation ED sequence typical of ufotable. Real cute.

This poster will probably not see this, buts its not just girls, the game has the realtionship system with every playable character. Also, not sure you payed attention to the game, but Collete and Llyod did have a close relationship. With the whole birthday gift, and the hot/cold chocolate thing scene, it's obviously they're really close friends. Same goes for Llyod's realtionship with Genis.
kirbymaster101Jan 23, 2013 3:27 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 2, 2013 12:26 AM

Jul 2013
I haven't played the game for this but It looks like a promising start for the 1st episode, I really like the action in here and the characters. Also I can tell that this is ufotable's animation production when I saw the ending credits and their animation, so I'm a big fan of that.

Though I played the new Tales games recently and my issue is that, since the game is about 45 hours long, they only made this into 4 episodes. I would be expecting fast pace and materials were drastically cut off, but I'll see how this anime goes in the end.

Jan 1, 2014 3:41 PM

Nov 2011
Lloyd definitely has a thing for Colette.

That was alright I guess for a typical fantasy episode. I haven't played the games yet but the atmosphere is there. The sensei is pretty awesome if I do have to say so myself.
May 19, 2014 12:43 PM

Jun 2012
Pretty crappy animation.
Though the story does intrigue me.

I might pick up the PS3 game if I end up liking this.
Jan 11, 2016 2:26 PM

Jan 2012
haven't played the game but lets see

Aug 6, 2016 6:47 PM

Nov 2015
Am I the only one who didn't understand a thing?
What's the plot? Why is that girl doing what she did? Restore what? Everything is so sudden, it felt so rushed! And it's just the first episode.

I think this was done to people how played the game because I felt a void while watching this.

It's was fun tho watch how Ufotable was doing in 2007 with their animation jaja, almost 10 years after and now they are top notch!

PD: What a weird character design the MC has jaja
May 6, 2020 5:55 PM

Feb 2017
I didn't expect any claymation in this at all, lol.

Jul 17, 2020 6:25 AM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
I've found this show after so much searching. I must be honest, this show had such an interesting game. And Ufotable had a lot of effort to make this adaptation. Its good, then, knowing how old these OVA was. Collette had a nice design. Her adventure as a chosen one to saved the perishing world. Idk about the worlds either, its still uxexplainable in these episode. Only to knowing the real villain, Desians, that eyeing an exsphere that Lloyd had in his arm. So, yeah, the beginning of their adventure started. Lloyd had late start, while his beloved Collette far away in front of him together with Genis's older sister and Kratos, that somehow must be related to Lloyd. Idk. Lets just seen their adventurous, then.

So far, my first impression over this show in a level of good. Seeing their design of art and animation were quite catchy and suited with the theme of an RPG gaming. The power seems reliable for now. Lloyd had such amazing power thanks to his gem. Ah, about the OP sequence was good, idk about the language they used on that. And the ED, so far was my best sequences ever, cause its really an unique attempt to make that part animated. And the track was also nice and pretty catchy. So, thats it for now, i think....
badabassJul 17, 2020 6:31 AM
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges

More topics from this board

» Bandai Namco EU has uploaded all of the Sylvarant Arc episodes to their youtube channel

Hannescha - Feb 8, 2023

0 by Hannescha »»
Feb 8, 2023 8:18 AM

Poll: » Tales of Symphonia Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Serg - Dec 30, 2007

53 by Berry-Vodka »»
Dec 10, 2021 12:37 PM

Poll: » Tales of Symphonia Episode 3 Discussion

VK11 - Oct 31, 2007

22 by badabass »»
Jul 17, 2020 8:23 AM

Poll: » Tales of Symphonia Episode 2 Discussion

zanmato666 - Aug 14, 2007

21 by badabass »»
Jul 17, 2020 7:20 AM

» I can't believe Colette is voiced by Mizuki Nana

KuroNekoAlchemy - Apr 14, 2020

0 by KuroNekoAlchemy »»
Apr 14, 2020 9:18 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.