Forum Settings
Forums
New
Dec 20, 2021 7:08 PM

Feb 2021
Genuine question.

I rewatched One Punch Man the other day and thought Tatsumaki looking good. So I proceeded to search doujins of her (yes, that kind) and it has the lolicon tag. Tatsumaki is 28 years old; an adult. Which got me thinking, what exactly makes an anime girl a loli? Is it her appearance? Is it her age? Is it the way she acts? If it's the age, then would Takayama Kate from Haganai be counted as a loli, since she's 15 or 16 years old? If it's appearance, is Komoe-sensei from The Index series a loli, despite being of age to drink and smoke? Or is it all of the above?

"Nobody could laugh at someone who's trying their hardest" -Machio-

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Dec 20, 2021 7:27 PM
Jul 2018
Typically it's the appearance. I think Tatsumaki and Takayama are passable. But Komoe is a loli to me personally.
Dec 20, 2021 7:33 PM

Jul 2016
There are 3 kinds of loli characters. Maybe 4.

1) Looks like a child but is not a child.
2) Is a child.
3) Is a minor in general.
4) Flat-chested girl in general?
Dec 20, 2021 7:46 PM

Jul 2012
It's always appearance, but more specifically appearance in relation to other characters in the series.

To reference your first example you could say compare Tatsumaki and her sister Fubuki who is 23 (as just an offhand comparison). In which case based solely on appearance you would assume the ages were reversed if anything. With the general idea being that with an established baseline for character appearances having a character or characters who look distinctly younger (usually despite them being canonically older) would be then counted as lolis.

The reason appearance based on a comparison to other characters is important is to also avoid situations in which an entire cast looks the same age or where their ages are ambiguous based solely on appearance and there's no functional reason to identify them as lolis.
GamerDLMDec 20, 2021 7:49 PM
Dec 20, 2021 7:56 PM

Dec 2020
basically a girl/woman who has a child-like appearance, usually petite small girls. they could be either grown ups or an actual child.
no more forum pic. that's it.
Dec 20, 2021 8:10 PM

Aug 2021
idk about that but damn does Tatsumaki look hot in that fan art.. imma save that pic for my wallpaper
Stawberry Milk Supremacy
Dec 20, 2021 8:11 PM
Twintail Expert

Feb 2019
it's appearance. nothing else. not age, not behavior, not whether they're sexualized or not. don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
Dec 20, 2021 8:28 PM

Oct 2010
below 12 years old
short
small hands
no boobs
no ass
cute and annoying voice
dies ecchi things without knowing
Dec 20, 2021 8:40 PM
Dec 20, 2021 8:45 PM
Aug 2018
does it look like a child? if so, yes.
Dec 20, 2021 8:46 PM

Dec 2018
It’s a character designed to look like a child.
Dec 20, 2021 8:54 PM

Nov 2018
Pigs in my streets are count as loli.
"When they're alive, you can enjoy watching them struggle. When they're dead, you can enjoy tearing out their guts. Tales are things you get to enjoy twice."
Dec 20, 2021 9:00 PM

Dec 2017
I think it's about age (it's a child, as simple as that) and the appearance (it's not a child, but it's look like a child).
Dec 20, 2021 9:02 PM

Aug 2018
Those who are above a certain age are considered "legal" lolis by the majority of basement dwellers weebs. I believe you know this already.
Dec 20, 2021 9:04 PM

Jul 2017
If her face looks like a loli, she's a loli.
Dec 20, 2021 9:08 PM
Jan 2021
lolis is under age or someone older with short body
Dec 20, 2021 9:12 PM

Aug 2020
If she looks like a kid, she's a loli.

γ€Œ 𝕂𝕖π•ͺ π•₯𝕙𝕒π•₯ π•™π•šπ••π•–π•€ π•₯𝕙𝕖 𝕗𝕠𝕣𝕔𝕖𝕀 𝕠𝕗 π••π•’π•£π•œπ•Ÿπ•–π•€π•€, 𝕀𝕙𝕠𝕨 π•žπ•– π•ͺ𝕠𝕦𝕣 π•₯𝕣𝕦𝕖 π•—π• π•£π•ž 」

Dec 20, 2021 9:14 PM

Nov 2011
It's always about appearance, people who think otherwise are only new to this term and community in overall.
I hate this term and in fact never use the term for real little girl character (by age). This term has sexual aspect by it's origin. And no one sane will lewd to little girls like Ren-chon or Yotsuba.
"The Slave is the have-not, the oppressed one with nothing to spare.
But because the Slave is in that despairing situation, having nothing, it can kill the Emperor !"
Dec 20, 2021 9:24 PM
Jul 2018
SemillaMinoria said:
What is MAL's obsession with lolis? Talking about this every day.

Yeah. It's a pretty overused topic.
Dec 20, 2021 9:27 PM

Oct 2020
Usually if there a child its a loli. Also I don't think Tatsumaki is a loli, she's just petite and very hot😏
Dec 20, 2021 9:28 PM

Sep 2018
Loli is about body type. It is not about age. The teacher on Index is a loli. Oshino Shinobu is a loli. The K-On girls are lolis. Loli is short and petite thoughthey can have big oppai. Most lolis tend to be flat.

Tatsumaki is a grey area, but some hentai doujins of her tag as loli. Some do not.
Tall lolis DNE
rohan121Dec 20, 2021 9:35 PM
Dec 20, 2021 9:39 PM

Jan 2020
Its usally appearance I'd say . How i define a loli is an anime girl with a petite body(so oppai lolis are also lolis )
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 20, 2021 9:40 PM

Feb 2021
rohan121 said:
Loli is about body type. It is not about age. The teacher on Index is a loli. Oshino Shinobu is a loli. The K-On girls are lolis. Loli is short and petite thoughthey can have big oppai. Most lolis tend to be flat.

Tatsumaki is a grey area, but some hentai doujins of her tag as loli. Some do not.
Tall lolis DNE
Most K-On girls are 17 or 18 and Azuza and her friends are about 16 (by the end of season 2). They don't look like little girls and they're too old to be considered one. So I never think of the K-On girls as lolis.
"Nobody could laugh at someone who's trying their hardest" -Machio-

Feb 1, 2022 5:56 PM
Jun 2016
rohan121 said:
Tall lolis DNE

Murata has said in interviews several times that Tatsumaki is a loli lol. He struggles some with them and his style isnt exactly "moe" like most loli characters are drawn in.
Feb 1, 2022 7:16 PM

Jul 2014
If she's prepubescent, she's unambiguously a loli as far as I'm concerned.
Take care of yourself

Feb 1, 2022 7:28 PM
Jun 2016
LoveLikeBlood said:
If she's prepubescent, she's unambiguously a loli as far as I'm concerned.

How are you defining "prepubescent" here? Since puberty is a process of physical development where, in women, hips, waist, breasts, legs, etc all change shape and size, then having those features wouldnt be "prepubescent" right? Because loli tends to utilize a lot of those same shapes. Hell, there IS a lower limit to loli, where it becomes toddlercon.
Oct 23, 2023 12:08 PM

Dec 2006
Reply to crim-sama
rohan121 said:
Tall lolis DNE

Murata has said in interviews several times that Tatsumaki is a loli lol. He struggles some with them and his style isnt exactly "moe" like most loli characters are drawn in.
@crim-sama do you recall which interviews has Murata say this? I like to create a timeline of the usage of the term

so far I have been only able to find one from 13 December 2015 cited at https://onepunchman.fandom.com/wiki/Interviews/Stream_Q/A#13/12/2015 supposedly from

"Previously I never draw any loli-like character, when I'm drawing Tastumaki I spent many effort on drawing the ass."

30 December 2015 also has him make a similar statement about Zenko https://onepunchman.fandom.com/wiki/Interviews/Stream_Q/A#30/12/2015

YusukeMurata said:

Q: Stupid question, do you like Zenko?

A: Me, I'm not interested in small little loli, really, hahaha, sorry I lied, I like her very much. I have the original Zenko version here, she looks older. This is the version that I decided not to use, she looks older right? I'm not good in drawing little girls, I'm always drawing it too tall in the first place, even for Tatsumaki. I am better in drawing plump and matured ladies.

Basically wondering if the other Tatsumaki=loli statement is pre-2015 or post-2015
tycioOct 23, 2023 9:02 PM
Oct 23, 2023 12:17 PM

Oct 2019
Flat and short, that's it.

It could be underaged character. it could be an adult. it could be a 5000 year old god.

as long as she's a short and flat character, she's a loli....

I just realised a short flat grandma would count too if we go about it like that. so let's add "looks young" to the rules.

and juuust to be safe, let's also add a "looks human enough" rule as well.
Also available at:
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Second Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@AshPolygonsDo/videos
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
A Love Letter To Animeγ€ŒAMV」: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
Oct 23, 2023 12:49 PM

Jul 2015
It is a petite and short female, anime character. It is all about design and has nothing to do with character's age.

Oct 23, 2023 12:52 PM

Aug 2018
the keions are not lolis. Azunyan is a borderline case. Regardless, one should not lewd the keions.
Oct 23, 2023 2:24 PM

Dec 2022
Underage, prepubescent girls who typically have a petite body reflecting their age.

ο½²δΉ‡εˆ€δΉ‡δΉƒε°ΊοΎ‘δΉ‡
㊎ ㊰
☽ Shaded Horizon ☾

Oct 23, 2023 3:13 PM

Mar 2007
Reply to tycio
@crim-sama do you recall which interviews has Murata say this? I like to create a timeline of the usage of the term

so far I have been only able to find one from 13 December 2015 cited at https://onepunchman.fandom.com/wiki/Interviews/Stream_Q/A#13/12/2015 supposedly from

"Previously I never draw any loli-like character, when I'm drawing Tastumaki I spent many effort on drawing the ass."

30 December 2015 also has him make a similar statement about Zenko https://onepunchman.fandom.com/wiki/Interviews/Stream_Q/A#30/12/2015

YusukeMurata said:

Q: Stupid question, do you like Zenko?

A: Me, I'm not interested in small little loli, really, hahaha, sorry I lied, I like her very much. I have the original Zenko version here, she looks older. This is the version that I decided not to use, she looks older right? I'm not good in drawing little girls, I'm always drawing it too tall in the first place, even for Tatsumaki. I am better in drawing plump and matured ladies.

Basically wondering if the other Tatsumaki=loli statement is pre-2015 or post-2015
@tycio Why did you claim I said that crap? Take that down!!!
We explore... And you call us criminals. We exist without skin color, without nationality, without religious bias... And you call us criminals. You build atomic bombs, you wage wars, you murder, you cheat, and lie to us and try to make us believe it's for our own good, yet we're the criminals.
Oct 23, 2023 5:24 PM

Jul 2021
I'd define a loli as a female anime character that appears or is between the age of older than an infant to around or slightly older than the age of entering puberty, typically appearing in the age range of 9 to 11.

I think age matters and so does appearance. A loli that appears much older is still a loli and a 3000 year old baba is still a loli if she looks like a loli. And I wouldn't call one appearing as an infant child or younger a loli and neither would I often call one appearing 14 or older to be a loli. Usually I think lolis tend to appear or be around the age of 10, but sometimes they can appear or be around the age of a pre-schooler.
Oct 23, 2023 5:59 PM

Mar 2008
I think there isn't a point for Westerners to guess since they would misunderstand. For example Westerners for the longest time misused shoujo-ai and shounen-ai to mean something completely different from their meaning in Japan in Japan it's what in the West is incorrectly called lolicon and shotacon but the West used those terms for yuri and yaoi with focus on only hinting at gayness or only focused on romance not sex which is incorrect. I guess I'd have to look into the history of the terms loli and shota to find the real answer. What all would agree though is if they are at least prepubertal elementary schoolers, moe and presented in a sexual light they are loli / shota but that isn't necessarily the actual definition.
Oct 23, 2023 7:55 PM
Community Mod
Undead

Mar 2022
Thread locked

Anime Discussion Rules: 5. Please refrain from posting thread topics which extend beyond the discussion of anime/manga as an entertainment medium to highly-debated social and/or moral issues. This includes but is not limited to:
gender/racial equality
sexual orientation, homophobia
sexual assault
pedophilia, lolicon/shotacon, incest, teenage-adult relationships
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

Poll: » How important is sound design in Anime

ST63LTH - Yesterday

18 by perseii »»
7 minutes ago

» Watching the same anime over and over again

otaku2000anime - Yesterday

18 by Zimmu »»
10 minutes ago

» What's one anime or character in your favorites you wish had Ecchi or Hentai scenes for officially?

IpreferEcchi - Jun 6

20 by LoveYourSmile »»
16 minutes ago

» Anime genres that rose in popularity and gained relevance as time went on ?

tchitchouan - 5 hours ago

8 by IKKIsama »»
21 minutes ago

» Blu-ray is an outdated metric, Streaming services are the new standard ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Jun 2

97 by SpiderMiles3523 »»
28 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.