Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Blue Period
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Dec 11, 2021 11:31 PM
Mar 2021
I thought he was gonna fail then depression arc but thank
Dec 12, 2021 12:39 AM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
Hmm, don't have much to say, other than it overall was a good time. Not exactly my type of thing, but I did kind of enjoy it and do not regret watching it at all. The ed was definitely my favorite part of each episode. During the early episodes I was not very impressed, but somewhere along the line it captured my attention and kept me watching.

Speaking as an anime-only, not knowing what I was missing out on, it was perfectly fine. Nowhere close to amazing as the manga apparently is, but it was quite alright nonetheless. 5/10.

Will pick up the manga some time.

NYANPASU
5700XT

Dec 12, 2021 5:37 AM

Mar 2018
wow he passed, who would have thought...
Dec 12, 2021 6:47 AM
Sep 2021
Very happy for Yaguchi and this ending surprised me, and to think that back in high school I hated art class and today I'm here giving top marks to an anime of this type.A work of art this anime, literally!
Dec 12, 2021 6:52 AM
Oct 2020
I had second thoughts if Yaguchi would really pass or not because of the low acceptance rate but guess what, ya boi did it. His friend's reaction about him passing is so wholesome~

8/10 as an anime watcher only.
Dec 12, 2021 7:06 AM

Jul 2021
The end of this season was wonderful! I really want this anime to have a second season. I was happy that Yatora and Yotasuke passed the exam, but I wanted Hashida and Kuwana to pass too.
I also think that in the future Yatora and Mori will develop loving feelings for each other, but I don't know.
Can anyone tell me if the manga is as good as anime? Because maybe I will read it in the future.
asdasdsadad
Dec 12, 2021 7:07 AM

Jul 2021
NekoWeebOwO said:
I thought he was gonna fail then depression arc but thank

I was also thinking that he was going to fail, but in the end it all worked out.
asdasdsadad
Dec 12, 2021 7:41 AM

Mar 2020
Ohh it was the final episode. I cried that Yaguchi-kun passed!! What a journey. ❤️
Oppai check!

111 cm: Hancock
110 cm: Zoro
100 cm: Robin
Dec 12, 2021 10:56 AM

Mar 2013
The start of the show he touches his feet in the water by depicting how he views the world. By the end, he is depicting how he views himself. This symbolizes his character growth throughout the series--

For the majority of his life, he watched and analyzed others and the world in order to respond in the most appropriate way never thinking or responding with his own thoughts in mind. This is addressed in his character development with his friends who expressed how they wished he'd open up more with them and show them his true self instead of what he thought they wanted to hear or say. You can see the immediate result of this in his art after having more than just composition but a story and/or theme. He does not stop his analysis of the world or hard work into preparing the perfect version of himself for any/all situation though, the next arcs show his series of skill developments and tool collection. However, he has a complex surrounding this behavior this as you could see in this episode until he starts to view it as a skill. He is able to do that because he started to view himself for the very first time at the beach episode. That episode is important both for his skill development and his character development. He viewed himself as being only the sum of his hard work so he did not allow himself to stray from the role of perfect, hardworking student, but in that episode for the first time he made the "wrong" choice in society/the world's eyes by skipping cram school, essentially breaking out from this character he had made <i>for </i>the world. There he starts to look at himself for the first time- a huge turning point for his character development that we see the full development of through his piece and the sketch book in these last episodes. <b>The ending flipped the script on how the artist views the world to how the artist views himself... to symbolize Yatora growing out of his belief that he needed to analyze the world in order to be accepted by it and instead learned to be able trust in his own interpretations and find true confidence in himself.</b>

This message is so important for a Japanese audience because of the way Japanese society pushes it's citizens to conform to what society needs, to conform to the needs of others, and to never bring inconvenience to others (i.e the concept of meiwaku). The phrase: "The nail that sticks up gets hammered" depicts this issue well. It is hard for Japanese people to find or seek any form of individuality without having to face internal and external punishment or guilt. Showcasing Yatora's journey away from the external to the internal is an extremely powerful and comforting message for a culture that punishes individuality.

Unpopular opinion: 10/10

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Dec 12, 2021 11:53 AM

Aug 2021
This was truly beautiful and seeing Yaguchi actually get into Geidai had me in tears with all the emotions cultivated throughout this season just coming out altogether at a much more positive and happier tone than it began.

This entire story hit right in the feels for me being in the almost exact same position in my life as Yaguchi with high school ending and deciding to do what the fk is it that I really want and all the entrance exams following that decision to get where I want to, all that had me right in the place to have been experiencing precisely what the struggles and joys of the process are that Yaguchi and the other characters are depicted to be going through, in total this was definitely a series that will forever remain close to my heart for having helped me ease through what might've been the "Blue Period" in my personal life.

Pretty much a no-brainer 10/10 for me, being an anime-only I was more than satisfied with the entire piece as a whole, from the art & animation, the beautiful music, the pacing as well as the ambiance & themes created in every episode introducing us to the story taking one thing at a time and making us familiar with the way things proceed while continuing progress every step of the way. Oh and for sure picking up the manga after this, can't wait to see Yaguchi and all the new developments with Geidai in the picture (^u^)~
MiraseDec 12, 2021 12:03 PM
Dec 12, 2021 12:52 PM

Oct 2018
Decent way to end the season. With the amount of anime getting a sequel nowadays, there's a chance it will get one but maybe not. Yaguchi's growth throughout the season was amazing. Some of the subtle things shown through the characters during the exam and the aftermath was so relatable. With slower pacing in the exam and a much faster pacing in the non-exam scenes, it was still better than all the other episodes except episode 10. It's really disappointing to see something with so much potential doesn't get the proper treatment. While I am no manga reader, so I am unable to compare between the two but as an anime, it failed to use the strengths of the medium properly. Even the paintings themselves could have been shown with a better quality though what we got was sufficient enough considering the overall quality of the anime. My biggest complaint would be the directing which doesn't contribute in anyway to elevate the key moments to hit hard so that it stays with me for a long time. At least the ED was a banger and loved the way they put all the pictures from all the EDs into the last one.
6/10
Etherius_ZSApr 1, 2022 4:27 AM
Dec 12, 2021 3:32 PM

Feb 2015
It was alright but it just felt like things were too easy and he got insanely good too quickly idk
Dec 12, 2021 3:57 PM

Apr 2015
I am not surprised that Yagushi would have passed because if the effort he gave in his trip for the exam was not reflected, the story would look very repetitive and if he had failed, Maki does not impress me that he did not pass the exam because she was the typical representation that sometimes those with talent do not pass the ostacles all the time

as soon as the model's censorship problem was not fixed yet the upper part was censored What is a big mistake hiding that they put more full body scenes And what is a program for all audiences

As for the general Anime, it was refreshing outside and a venue that you can recommend, As soon as the adaptation with the manga was a 5, it could have been improved and better represented the other characters in the story
Dec 12, 2021 9:35 PM
Mar 2021
yLewahoy said:
Can anyone tell me if the manga is as good as anime? Because maybe I will read it in the future.

It's a lot better. I even recommend you read it from the start, since they cut a lot of things in this adaptation.
Dec 13, 2021 1:48 AM
Jul 2016
great watch and adapted pretty well from the source material. kudos to the staff for the excellent adaptation.
Dec 13, 2021 5:46 AM
Jan 2016
This anime is great, underrated, I just can say that...the morale value is really high and it can reflect our daily life. Yeah, hardwork will beats talent, but talent that didn't work hard. It's just like Ronaldo vs Messi when you saw Yotasuke and Yatora, hahaha...they're not fighting, but we can sense the rivalry. I will happily recommend this anime to anybody that want to watch anime, hahaha...
Dec 13, 2021 8:59 AM

Jul 2021
MMMCMXVII said:
yLewahoy said:

It's a lot better. I even recommend you read it from the start, since they cut a lot of things in this adaptation.

I'll read the manga then, thanks!
asdasdsadad
Dec 14, 2021 5:57 AM
Jul 2021
congrats to yaguchi and it was good a 7/10 for me
Dec 14, 2021 6:07 AM

Dec 2016
Yaguchi improved a lot in this short period of time.

Since it's difficult to get into Tokyo University of Arts, it would've seemed more realistic if Yaguchi wasn't selected considering it was his first time and it also hasn't been that long he got into art. But Yaguchi is quite a deep thinker and is able to express his thoughts through painting more clearly, I guess that's his plus point for getting selected since that's the main thing the University looks for. Yaguchi is sure lucky.

I feel bad for Kuwana. They didn't show her exam work but she is definitely good and deserves it. But Kuwana comparing herself with her sister must be effecting her own works which is making her unable to show her own originality.

Anyway, it was good. Even though it was a little rushed I still enjoyed it. I wonder if it'll get a second season, if it does it'll just be about Yaguchi's thought process evolving and his artworks improving so that's gonna be a little boring. So, can't say I want a sequel.

Overall 7/10
Dec 14, 2021 9:29 PM
Mar 2021
Rickydory123 said:
I wonder if it'll get a second season, if it does it'll just be about Yaguchi's thought process evolving and his artworks improving so that's gonna be a little boring. So, can't say I want a sequel.

As a manga reader, I actually enjoyed the Geidai life much more than the exam arc, it just felt more realistic and seinen-like. It makes sense since I'm in college, but I related a lot to the situations Yatora had to go through.

But I don't know if that's a popular opinion.
Dec 15, 2021 7:22 AM

Sep 2013
Cool ending for a decent story,i almost want to continue with the manga but will pass for now

solid 5.5/10
Deep dark fantasies
Dec 16, 2021 3:07 PM
Jul 2021
that was perfect. I really enjoyed it. I do not feel good that the anime is over, maybe I will go to the manga.
Dec 17, 2021 3:59 AM

Mar 2013
I was as surprised as Yaguchi when he saw the results. I wasn't expecting him to pass tbh so I'm happy for him. It was shocking that Kuwana failed it.

Anyway the anime was nice but I feel it could've been a lot better. I came to like Yaguchi's character over time.
Dec 17, 2021 8:01 PM

Jul 2011
That ended to wall o_O

Nice he got inside, but I think they could done last episode much more ending type for this season, but instead it went fast and end already.

Seriously, read manga amount for 24 chapters (12 eps), have a bit more details and it looks great, what else can wish?

"A half moon, it has a dark half and a bright half, just like me…", Yuno Gasai
Dec 26, 2021 5:44 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
That was to expect but what a chad, Yaguchi passed 1st try, but to be honest his painting was beautiful it's well deserved.

Well pretty good promo overall, too bad they rushed it with that fast pacing so the character development couldn't really deliver but they still did a decent job for most of the other elements, I would give this anime a 7/10, it makes me want to read the manga!
Dec 26, 2021 7:07 PM

Feb 2019
Wtf no way I was two weeks behind… so it’s been over for a while now, just saw the finale. Overall this show just hit different. Seinen SoL/coming of age stories just have an edge in terms of that emotional reaction you get out of it. Hopefully we get a second season
Dec 26, 2021 10:34 PM

Aug 2017
Ths anime surprised me a lot! No melodrama, characters acting like human beings, tense moments even if some of them are obvious.

I didn't expect Kuwana to fail, its an interesting twist at the end.

Everyone is saying Blue Period manga is better, so I will read it soon. But I can't help but feel everyone is too harsh on the anime. If it came out as a standalone show, it would be considered excellent imo.

8/10 for the anime.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Dec 27, 2021 3:13 PM
Jul 2008
This anime made me want to draw again. The author did a great job.

Yatora definitely has talent in art, normal people won't develop as fast as him.

Kuwana failed was expected, she was already cursed lol.
Jan 1, 2022 2:44 AM
Nov 2020
that model is T H I C C
"I can't trust a website where csm is rated higher than hxh"
- Akira Toriyama

Jan 1, 2022 3:08 AM
Jun 2007
Didn’t read the manga, initially I didn’t even plan on watching this - but MAL promoting it and it showing up on Netflix, I decided to give this a chance and I was hooked immediately.

For me, this was easily a 10/10, even though it seems like an unpopular opinion.

I should definitely check out the manga, especially if it’s that much better than this adaptation. But I’m also kind of glad I didn’t check the manga sooner, as I get the impression that it ruins the enjoyment out of the anime adaptation simply by the virtue of being better paced and more detailed, even though I really appreciate this anime for what it is.
Jan 1, 2022 5:12 AM

Oct 2016
For what it's worth, they still did an overall good job with the anime. It's not perfect, but it's passable. Loved how they ended it with Mori seeing Yatora's painting though, paralleling with Yatora seeing Mori's painting in the beginning. While the anime is good, the manga is a masterpiece, so go ahead, do yourself a favor and read it. 7/10
Jan 1, 2022 12:48 PM
Feb 2021
He passed?! LETS FUCKINGGGGG GOOI!

Which volume should I pick up after finishing the anime?
_Gyro_Zeppeli_Jan 1, 2022 11:17 PM
Jan 2, 2022 7:16 PM

Nov 2011
I thought the episode was okay. A lack of Ryuuji at the end was sort of disappointing but I think the direction and animation for this anime as a whole was just not good.

Overall the anime was pretty mid. It tried to be a Masterpiece but it failed to be better then an average anime. It's not bad just not that good.

Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/waifusandweeaboos

Follow my twitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/sorasensei1

Spring 2024 Waifus on Profile

"You can have multiple Waifus" -me

Jan 2, 2022 9:44 PM

Feb 2019
No doubt one of the best animes of the season. As an anime-only, I can't say much (or anything for that matter lol) about how it compares to the manga. But from an anime-only perspective, I think this was absolutely amazing. An easy 9/10. I actually struggled to decide between 9 or 10!

This show really opened me up to the world of visual arts, including contemporary art. It is a completely foreign world to me, something that I had never really delved deep into. But this show made it so exciting and full of passion. Burning, really.

Great for Yaguchi that he got into Tokyo University of the Arts! It hurt seeing Maki so sad like that. Liked her character quite well.

Ah, but why did Yaguchi have to miss Mori-senpai again? They just have bad timing lol I do hope they get to meet and get together or something. It'd be pretty cute I think.

Well then, waiting for a second season and/or off to the manga!

Will miss this show. Awesome OP and ED as well, great art, great concept, great story, great characters. A whole lot of great everything.
Jan 4, 2022 1:34 PM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Guess I'm glad to not have been a manga reader in this case. Personally, I found this final episode and the whole show to be very enjoyable and moving. Yes, there were probably some issues, even from an anime-only perspective like mine, but this will still go down as a solid show in my records.

Yaguchi's inner dialogues more than anything were fantastic and it made me really feel for him. For some reason, I'd a strong feeling he'd pass so that didn't hit as much but he sure deserved it. I'm not certain how he managed to recover out of the blue but, that aside, it's good to see his efforts being rewarded in earnest. It's sad that Kuwana-san didn't make the cut though, that scene of the two sisters was really touching.

Both Ooba-sensei and Saeki-sensei were brilliant in their own ways helping Yaguchi grow and so big credits to them as well. Ryuuji's character is one that we don't see often in the medium and the whole abstract idea of nudity brought about by them was very interesting. Felt like an eye-opener half an hour back, ngl xD. Mori-san was a huge influence on him too but it's a pity that they've yet again missed paths, at this point it's no surprise lol.

All in all, I'm very pleased with this show. The second half in particular was a joy to keep up with and for that, I'll award this show with a well-deserved 8/10. Wouldn't mind a 2nd season! I'd love to check out the manga sometime too. Also, the ED. Yes! It's so good! mol-74 coming up with bangers after bangers when called upon by the medium. I'm looking forward to more of their works featuring in anime.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Jan 5, 2022 9:12 AM
Nov 2020
Ah it finally ended! The ED is cool too. The canvas has blue paint in it. It shows he started his journey to university or became proud with his art.
Jan 6, 2022 4:20 AM

Mar 2019
Was anyone else disappointed there was no interaction between Yaguchi and Yuka after he got accepted with the final art work?
Jan 6, 2022 9:01 PM

Dec 2014
Great show on the whole, started very promising and ends on a high note. I really do hope we get a second season. Yaguchi's exploration of art and his personal development together with it was fantastic and really hit all the right strings emotionally. I was really happy for him when he passed.

8/10, I hope there's a sequel but given the nature of the show it might not be a bad idea to just continue the manga.
Jan 8, 2022 7:08 PM

Jun 2013
This anime turned out to be a pleasant surprise, and I liked it more than I anticipated I would. As for the finale, I think it did a good job wrapping what it could and serving as both an end and big, new start for Yaguchi. I really want to see another season and more development of the other characters as well as see how Yaguchi navigates being a student at the school (I know my imposter syndrome would skyrocket even more). But unsure if Netflix or the manga will result in an S2. But if this is the end, I'm okay with it and already recommended this anime to a friend.
MAL Profile (friend me!) | YouTube Vlogs
Jan 10, 2022 8:43 PM
Dec 2015
I'm surprised at all the negative reviews this anime is getting when it's one of the few better ones of this season that also stands out for not being about any kind of magic world, isekai or a sequel.
It was really refreshing to watch an anime about this theme, and as an ex art student who has undergone an almost identical journey myself, I'd say it was explored really well both on the emotional and on the event level. There were quite a few moments that made me very emotional, which comes pretty rare for me with the modern anime.
I haven't read the manga, but still the one thing I'd wish they had done differently, was that huge time skip at the start of Yatora's training at the art-club. I think that was a huge mistake and took away a chunk of the viewer's understanding of Yatora's hardworking nature, at that point even I started to misunderstand him as being "simply talented" because it started to feel like he progressed very quick and very effortlessly.
Still, overall I really loved it and hope to see a second season soon enough, 8 or 9/10 for me =)
Jan 13, 2022 5:09 PM

Jun 2011
It's so weird watching this anime, because in a way, I have never felt more absorbed into an anime than I have with this one. I'm a former art student, and while I never delved with oil painting, I understand the concepts really well, since I was forced to learn it throughout the numerous art classes I took back in college. There were times I felt like Yatora and I were the same person, and I felt like our struggles were the same.

It's fascinating, because I never ounce saw myself in an anime character before.
Jan 15, 2022 11:03 AM

Oct 2017
Nice ending to a nice show. Looking forward to season 2 if there is one.

Jan 16, 2022 10:21 AM

Mar 2015
I wished they had shown us all 4 of the paintings of the cram students. I'm bummed Kuwana didn't pass.
Jan 18, 2022 2:21 PM

Aug 2019
I actually really enjoyed this, I hope this ends up getting a sequel
Jan 20, 2022 12:05 AM

Oct 2008
oh man! i want to have my own Yuka for myself! lolz

Jan 27, 2022 2:09 PM
Nov 2020
FUE HERMOSO ME ENCANTÓ SÍ GRACIAS.
Feb 17, 2022 1:30 AM
Mob Character C

Oct 2009
It's odd. I like the anime enough to find it a bit inspiring, yet I also feel like it's a bit underwhelming. I feel like this is supposed to be a lot more of a slow burn and is probably better as a manga. However, as an anime it just feels a little... dull. That's coming from someone who loves me some slice-of-life, so I'm surprised even with myself.

Enjoy your anime! | Witch Cafe Wisteria
Feb 20, 2022 11:13 AM

Jun 2019
My 183rd completed series chronologically.

For the record, I extended it a 6/10 rating.
Mar 13, 2022 7:43 AM

Jul 2015
Definitely had some pacing issues but interesting watch overall seeing how Yaguchi makes progress not only in his art but also as person.

Mar 20, 2022 1:19 AM
Oct 2019
I'm not an artist so I don't know the pain artist going through but for someone who take an engineering major I think I can kinda understand the pain this show trying to portray. overall 7/10 a good show but I feel like they could bring more out of it. some people hate it because how plain the main character but for me the plain character what make this show good. some part from this show make me related the shit I had to go through the stress, the pain and how you feel everyone is better than you so the only thing you can do is work harder so that you can be at the same level and also the slump.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Blue Period Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

KANLen09 - Dec 3, 2021

55 by Ginsbxnkai »»
Mar 18, 7:45 PM

Poll: » Blue Period Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

KANLen09 - Nov 26, 2021

69 by JVskunkape »»
Jan 22, 3:05 AM

Poll: » Blue Period Episode 6 Discussion

KANLen09 - Oct 29, 2021

48 by JVskunkape »»
Jan 19, 2:43 AM

Poll: » Blue Period Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

KANLen09 - Sep 24, 2021

218 by JVskunkape »»
Jan 17, 3:14 AM

Poll: » Blue Period Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

SideCharacterKal - Nov 19, 2021

77 by antoninus_v »»
Dec 2, 2023 4:59 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.