Forum Settings
Forums

Disney Plus Is Going To Start Putting Out There Own Anime Series.. Your Thoughts?

New
Nov 15, 2021 3:17 PM
Sep 2020
They've announced some titles and put a trailer for one of there anime projects so far. What are your thoughts on Disney stepping into the anime game?

Personally im more curious to see how the projects actually turn out.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Nov 15, 2021 3:26 PM

Jul 2019
There was a similar thread so I am just gonna post what I said from there:
Surely this isn't a first from Disney? I am surprised people are only just acting as this has happened.

wer u der wen disney ghibli collab?

Pretty sure Dinsey has been in the anime game for longer than even I've been alive. This just seems like a blatant shout of their name rather than playing backstage.

Just put ctrl + f, type "Disney":
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Studio_Ghibli
https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1964578
Nov 15, 2021 3:28 PM

Jul 2015
As long as it won't be woke garbage..

Nov 15, 2021 3:37 PM
Aug 2021
Don't care. Disney bad. High budget but nothing original.
Nov 15, 2021 3:49 PM

Feb 2019
Roxa_ said:

Originality doesn't make money; if anime has taught us anything, it has taught us that people don't want to see something new and innovative. They want to see the same old package with a different colored ribbon on it. The current isekai trend is proof of that, as was the shounen boom before that, and the mecha boom before that, etc. Disney will just end up playing to this decade's popular trends with a bit of tired old Disney-style clichés thrown in for good measure so the lowest common denominator they cater to doesn't wise up. It was only a matter of time.
When you stand at the cliff's edge, staring into the darkness below, the most horrifying realization is not that you might slip, but that you could leap.
Nov 15, 2021 3:55 PM

Sep 2018
Are they actually putting out anime, or is it just their own woke cartoons?
Nov 15, 2021 3:58 PM

Sep 2009
They are making some stuff but most of the one they have are licensed stuff the same as Funi and CR.

rohan121 said:

You do know you watch Anime, probably one of the biggest contributor to the Woke community?
Nov 15, 2021 4:03 PM
Jul 2018
While it may mimic anime in style, I definitely know it's not going to have the same feel. Most of Disney's content is family or kid-friendly. So I know the writing is going to be a lot different.
Nov 15, 2021 4:05 PM

Sep 2018
komic said:
They are making some stuff but most of the one they have are licensed stuff the same as Funi and CR.

rohan121 said:

You do know you watch Anime, probably one of the biggest contributor to the Woke community?

I never minded anime covering race since it did not push white guilt bs like the west. Leave it to America to try to justify affirmative action and the like.
Nov 15, 2021 4:07 PM
Jul 2018
komic said:

rohan121 said:

LMAO. Anime definitely does not appeal to the woke community. I guess you haven't seen all the threads on here about representation of women and sexualization.
Nov 15, 2021 4:08 PM
Aug 2021
MadHobbit2 said:
Roxa_ said:

Originality doesn't make money; if anime has taught us anything, it has taught us that people don't want to see something new and innovative. They want to see the same old package with a different colored ribbon on it. The current isekai trend is proof of that, as was the shounen boom before that, and the mecha boom before that, etc. Disney will just end up playing to this decade's popular trends with a bit of tired old Disney-style clichés thrown in for good measure so the lowest common denominator they cater to doesn't wise up. It was only a matter of time.
I 100% agree with that, it's the sad truth.
Nov 15, 2021 4:08 PM

Sep 2009
rohan121 said:
komic said:

I never minded anime covering race since it did not push white guilt bs like the west. Leave it to America to try to justify affirmative action and the like.

Okay first of all I'm Irish. Second of all, they do the exact same thing.
Nov 15, 2021 4:10 PM

Sep 2009
TheFireNinja said:
komic said:

LMAO. Anime definitely does not appeal to the woke community. I guess you haven't seen all the threads on here about representation of women and sexualization.
rohan121 said:
komic said:

Well answer me this then. How many anime are about gay relationships? Cross dressing? Transgender? Female empowerment? Racism? I could go on. I think you get the basic idea
Nov 15, 2021 4:16 PM

Apr 2015
TheFireNinja said:
komic said:

**The "anime community" / MAL doesn't appeal to the woke community.
Nov 15, 2021 4:19 PM
Jul 2018
komic said:
TheFireNinja said:

rohan121 said:

Well answer me this then. How many anime are about gay relationships? Cross dressing? Transgender? Female empowerment? Racism? I could go on. I think you get the basic idea

Anime does give LGBTQ+ representation. But even then, I hear members of the community complain about how those type of characters behave in anime as well as how they're treated by other characters. It also has some depictions of people of other races that some would find offensive. More specifically people of my skin color as a black person. And lastly, some members of the anime community complain about women coming second to men in development in male-driven anime series as well as being "relegated" to love interests.
removed-userNov 15, 2021 4:22 PM
Nov 15, 2021 4:19 PM

Oct 2017
Pretty sure they've been doing anime for a while? Remember that one lilo and stitch anime?

As much as I hate the Disney Empire, I can only hope they adapt High School Musical The Manga to anime.
Nov 15, 2021 4:38 PM
Jul 2018
Tylaen said:
TheFireNinja said:

I'm not labelling the whole anime or MAL community as woke. I'm just talking about those who make those type of threads and are uncompromising or imposing in their views.
Nov 15, 2021 4:41 PM
Dec 2017
its not going to be anime and its just plagerism when it all comes down too.

Nov 15, 2021 4:47 PM

Feb 2016
MadHobbit2 said:
Originality doesn't make money; if anime has taught us anything, it has taught us that people don't want to see something new and innovative. They want to see the same old package with a different colored ribbon on it.

It's true, even Astro Boy is little more than Pinocchio with robots.
その目だれの目?
Nov 15, 2021 4:49 PM

Jul 2012
Crow_Black said:
its not going to be anime and its just plagerism when it all comes down too.

Considering Tezuka often talked about being inspired by Golden age Disney, maybe they are just taking back what's rightfully theirs lol
Nov 15, 2021 4:54 PM

Nov 2019
Seems like Disney Plus is trying to set the stage with their 4 anime that all appear to have fantasy/supernatural plots. I doubt they'll reach Netflix in the anime game unless they start buying out the rights to big manga titles, still would doubt since their rep is still low
Nov 15, 2021 4:55 PM

Oct 2010
so they returned to 2D? that should be fine
Nov 15, 2021 4:56 PM

Dec 2020
It will probably be full of woke garbage like basic human rights. smh the west is inferior to the cultured east.
Nov 15, 2021 5:01 PM

Aug 2020
I don't mind actually, but what concerns me is how the Disney anime gonna be animated.

There's a difference between western-style and japan-style animation, for example, there is a design that can tell us that this is an Animation from Japan and from the USA.

If let's just say that Disney animated their "Anime" just like the western-style, that doesn't really have that thing that we anime watchers can say "Oh yeah this is anime".

And what I'm saying is it's waste of time if they called it "Anime". But I don't entirely sure if this gonna happen or not, all of this is just my speculations.

vade retro Satana
戻って、サタン

Nov 15, 2021 5:13 PM

Feb 2016
GreenPlatinum said:
Considering Tezuka often talked about being inspired by Golden age Disney, maybe they are just taking back what's rightfully theirs lol

They may not technically belong to Disney, but we both know where Tezuka got his ideas.
その目だれの目?
Nov 15, 2021 5:13 PM

Apr 2015
TheFireNinja said:
Tylaen said:

I'm not labelling the whole anime or MAL community as woke. I'm just talking about those who make those type of threads and are uncompromising or imposing in their views.
I didn't say you were, I said that the anime community doesn't appeal to the "Woke" community instead of anime itself.
Nov 15, 2021 5:44 PM

Aug 2019
I’ll have to wait and see how they turn out to give my judgment
Nov 15, 2021 5:49 PM

Aug 2021
I don’t keep up with Hollytrash but I get the impression that Disney only cater to kids and teens. If they still do then not my cup of tea.
Nov 15, 2021 6:27 PM

Feb 2021
Couldn't care less about it but I care enough to leave my opinion here.
"Nobody could laugh at someone who's trying their hardest" -Machio-

Nov 17, 2021 8:09 PM
Sep 2020
snowykevin said:
I’ll have to wait and see how they turn out to give my judgment

Thats were I'm at, at the end of the day its about show quality
Nov 17, 2021 9:30 PM
Jul 2018
Hoping to re-establish Walt Disney Animation Japan
Nov 17, 2021 9:50 PM
Feb 2021
All I have to say is . . .

BRING BACK "TRON: UPRISING"!!!!! 😭

It isn't an anime, I know, but it was very much inspired by it, and the story was mostly really solid. And they need to give it a proper maturity rating. Seeing guys get crushed by Recognizers or stabbed through the middle from behind is WAY beyond Y-7! "Remember, kids! If they ain't bled, they ain't dead!" Boy, that sexual tension between Paige and Beck is really something, isn't it? 😂
"Tomatoes are nutritious and scrumptious."--Ryuunoske Akasaka, "The Pet Girl of Sakurasou"

Sword Art Online is mid, not utter trash. Oh yes, I'm such a rebel. 😎
Nov 17, 2021 10:13 PM

Jan 2013
whatever it is will probably be a masterpiece compared to the disaster that was High Guardian Spice
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Dec 1, 2022 5:40 PM

Aug 2016
rohan121 said:

Well, we've had a bit over a year now of Disney+ licensing and commissioning anime projects, so let's review and see how "woke" their output has been:

1. Star Wars Visions - By many accounts this seems to be the only good thing Disney has done with Star Wars since purchasing it. Though I guess that's not saying much, this seems like a W.
2. Tatami Time Machine Blues - Pretty formidable follow up to one of the best anime ever made.
3. Summertime Render - Features a lot of murder, panty shots, and a main character running around in a bathing suit. Say what you will, but it's definitely not "woke"
4. Black Rock Shooter - This one is still airing, but it definitely doesn't seem to be very "woke" either.

With only 4 "exclusive" anime, this isn't a huge sample size. But for a bit more than one year, this is a pretty good track record so far. Not too surprising though, as Netflix I wouldn't exactly describe a lot of their original anime as being very "woke" or "westernized" either. At least not in a way that feels forced or inappropriate.
People who put MAL stats in their sigs are losers lol
Dec 1, 2022 5:47 PM

Oct 2017
Oh dear god the hateful buzzwords I see in this thread.

I think Disney Plus funding anime projects is actually kinda a good thing to be honest, adds a little bit of diversity into what services are getting new content which the anime industry really needs right now considering that Crunchyroll holds a stranglehold on the Western streaming licenses after acquiring FUNimation. We really need a bit more competiiton in this industry rn and Disney can actually probably compete with Crunchyroll if they make the right plays
This post is brought to you by your local transfem gamer goblin. Will not tolerate bigotry and will fight against "anti-woke" sentiment to make the anime community a safer place.
Dec 1, 2022 7:03 PM

Sep 2014
Woof woof. West is woke therefore it's bad for anime.

Am I cool now?
Dec 1, 2022 7:23 PM
May 2021
I thought Disney "anime", were rip-offs anyway.
Dec 1, 2022 8:53 PM

Oct 2022
Ugh. Disney has been marketing anime for decades, but making their own means it'll just be some woke trash that the usual suspects on YouTube will make annoying rant videos about for the next (how many) years, then a billion people will go hatewatch it, so they'll make more.

Please God, let me be wrong.

Dec 1, 2022 9:01 PM

Feb 2021
Mienus said:
rohan121 said:

Well, we've had a bit over a year now of Disney+ licensing and commissioning anime projects, so let's review and see how "woke" their output has been:

1. Star Wars Visions - By many accounts this seems to be the only good thing Disney has done with Star Wars since purchasing it. Though I guess that's not saying much, this seems like a W.
2. Tatami Time Machine Blues - Pretty formidable follow up to one of the best anime ever made.
3. Summertime Render - Features a lot of murder, panty shots, and a main character running around in a bathing suit. Say what you will, but it's definitely not "woke"
4. Black Rock Shooter - This one is still airing, but it definitely doesn't seem to be very "woke" either.

With only 4 "exclusive" anime, this isn't a huge sample size. But for a bit more than one year, this is a pretty good track record so far. Not too surprising though, as Netflix I wouldn't exactly describe a lot of their original anime as being very "woke" or "westernized" either. At least not in a way that feels forced or inappropriate.
Oh no, not the wokes!!!!

Seriously, people still using the term "woke" in 2022 are stuck in 2016...
Dec 2, 2022 12:05 AM

Oct 2008
I'm keeping my expectations as low as possible. I'll at least give them the benefit of the doubt.
Dec 2, 2022 12:37 AM

Sep 2010
KryzakamiHrybami said:

Am I cool now?

Yes woof woof, woke bad woke bad, awooo.

But seriously, do people not realize that Japan is one if the leftist counties in the world? Trans, gender swap, crossdressing, same sex love, female leaders, anti racism and anti war have been topics in anime since forever. This is not woke, it's just Japanese culture. And it distracts from the real issue that western media has which is censorship. Can't have nipples and lewd lolis in my Christian cartoons.
Dec 2, 2022 1:04 AM

Nov 2022
Nothing-Nowhere said:
They've announced some titles and put a trailer for one of there anime projects so far. What are your thoughts on Disney stepping into the anime game?

Personally im more curious to see how the projects actually turn out.

prolly going to be boring asf, prolly gonna cancel my subscription by then. prolly gonna pirate it.

nevertheless i think its gonna be a good laugh

Dec 2, 2022 1:10 AM

May 2021
i just hope that this doesn't affect the current anime industry and Disney won't make [more] woke garbage. already tired of most series/films coming out nowadays.
Dec 2, 2022 1:13 AM

Feb 2021
ryoko6 said:
i just hope that this doesn't affect the current anime industry and Disney won't make [more] woke garbage. already tired of most series/films coming out nowadays.

Yes, I hope for so too. Disney really makes not so good series recently.
Dec 2, 2022 1:16 AM
Jun 2019
If this is another westert copying attempt it can hardly be called anime. Infact it can't be called it at all.
Dec 2, 2022 1:16 AM

Jan 2018
ateks said:
KryzakamiHrybami said:

Am I cool now?

Yes woof woof, woke bad woke bad, awooo.

But seriously, do people not realize that Japan is one if the leftist counties in the world? Trans, gender swap, crossdressing, same sex love, female leaders, anti racism and anti war have been topics in anime since forever. This is not woke, it's just Japanese culture. And it distracts from the real issue that western media has which is censorship. Can't have nipples and lewd lolis in my Christian cartoons.

I don't think anti objectification of woman/lolis in cartoons and media is something majorly coming from Christians nowadays.
Dec 2, 2022 1:33 AM

Feb 2021
haerina said:
If this is another westert copying attempt it can hardly be called anime. Infact it can't be called it at all.

Indeed, it is not anime, it is called cartoon.
Dec 2, 2022 1:40 AM
Apr 2022
WHAT!? DISNEY??? ANIME????? SFDSSFHGDFLXGDBRJNRYJTJNNGHJ I mean No? Yes? Idk? Maybe no... I mean if disney gonna make their shows fanservicy isakai waifu shit then i still dont mind lol
dumbandinsaneDec 2, 2022 1:44 AM
Dec 2, 2022 1:55 AM

Dec 2018
Great then we maybe can get some good anime for a change =P

Disney!!! The last show I watch was phenomenal and I love it,,, More lesbians please,,,YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES

Dec 2, 2022 2:17 AM

Nov 2022
I have little hope in Disney efforts, however may be.

ExoSquad did it before it was cool and was rather good. (The Original Hipster show) They say it was inspired by anime.

Knight9000 said:
I don't think anti objectification of woman/lolis in cartoons and media is something majorly coming from Christians nowadays.

women are objectively better when they are objectified.

Playboy bunnies would not be so popular otherwise.
Buy my awesome BDSM male domination book here  https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/1174760

Visit my Discord https://discord.com/channels/1047490147794550844/1047490149161898039 I am not there most of the time but you can leave a message.

Or my blog here https://BDSMAnime.blogspot.com/
Or here https://BDSMAnime18.blogspot.com/

Submit to me and become my subject here https://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=88107
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Are anime getting worse and worse ?

Shomix - 1 minute ago

0 by Shomix »»
1 minute ago

» Score Inflation

Lucifrost - 7 hours ago

14 by Lucifrost »»
2 minutes ago

» Does our opinions of characters reflect how we treat other people?

Zamus_Edits - Yesterday

15 by Suntanned_Duck2 »»
2 minutes ago

» If there a Cute Guys doing cute thing would you watch it?

RedTea33 - May 9

36 by Yuu_Kanzaki »»
5 minutes ago

» Will we get more anime's that reflect "Stoner Comedy"?

GoatPieceLuffy - 4 hours ago

20 by LenRea »»
8 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.