Forum Settings
Forums

Your thoughts on Disney entering the anime industry.

New
Oct 14, 2021 10:28 AM

Apr 2020
Is Disney getting jealous of other streaming services like Netflix and CR? I've seen the trailer of Summer Time Rendering and it looks pretty good, they are also adapting a mobile game Twisted Wonderland into anime.
What do you guys think about this whole Disney and anime thing?

anime list favourites | slipfunc - stay the night
‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎‎ ‎ ‎krytm - away

Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Oct 14, 2021 10:34 AM

Jun 2016
When it comes to twisted wonderland, it's their property so they can make an anime if they want I don't care. I just don't want them to start a studio buying spree like they did in hollywood.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Oct 14, 2021 10:38 AM

May 2019
I wouldn't see this as jealousy, rather they'd want to capitalize out of it. I hope they dive into the sphere of anime and create/adapt some great shows. This can get a lot of traction where new people get into anime, which is great.
yo
Oct 14, 2021 10:40 AM

Apr 2018
Hopefully it will inspire them. Anything that will give the Japanese producers more reason to create better quality anime is fine by me. Competition is good.
My taste is trash. So is yours.
Oct 14, 2021 10:41 AM

Jul 2017
Disney will do more harm than good to anime, and the newest Star Wars trilogy is proof lol
Oct 14, 2021 10:42 AM

Dec 2019
They're probably doing it to profit from it, not out of jealousy. Because of how ridiculously huge the anime community has grown and the large influx of new anime fans, they see this as an opportunity to get dat sweet cash. Although I wouldn't consider what they're making as "anime" if they're the ones making it because it's an American company.

I just hope they don't try to buy other studios or something because that would be horrible lol
Oct 14, 2021 10:43 AM

Mar 2020
Disney gonna slowly screw anime over time i am scared we will stuff in anime that we are seeing in marvel comics or star wars

TheAngryNerd said:

I just hope they don't try to buy other studios or something because that would be horrible lol

Stop giving death flags dude its legit a death flag xd
Oct 14, 2021 10:44 AM

Sep 2020
I can summarize it in a single phrase: "You are already milked" 🤣
Oct 14, 2021 10:45 AM
Jul 2018
Well... it gives me a reason to use the Family's Disney+ Subscription at-least, so that's cool.
Oct 14, 2021 10:46 AM

Feb 2021
I dont think anime made by the disney would be any good. They will just destroy it. Like how the latest Star Wars Trilogy destroyed the star wars series
Oct 14, 2021 10:50 AM

Mar 2015
Jealous of what? I'm pretty sure Disney makes more money than the anime industry lmao
Oct 14, 2021 10:58 AM

Apr 2020
Theo1899 said:
When it comes to twisted wonderland, it's their property so they can make an anime if they want I don't care. I just don't want them to start a studio buying spree like they did in hollywood.
Delete your reply before Disney takes a look at it and actually starts a "buying anime studios speedrun".

anime list favourites | slipfunc - stay the night
‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎‎ ‎ ‎krytm - away

Oct 14, 2021 11:05 AM

Mar 2020
On a side note if disney does get into anime seriously they will have more audience and off chance they might be good well atleast some of them

Mirai said:
Jealous of what? I'm pretty sure Disney makes more money than the anime industry lmao

Yup after fox purchase the majority of top ten highest grossing movies are owned by disney iirc
Oct 14, 2021 11:05 AM

Jan 2017
Disney has also licensed Yojohan Time Machine Blues, so it seems like they might be aiming to become an actual player in the western anime market.
Oct 14, 2021 11:13 AM

Jul 2007
Disney hasn't even made anything good since the Lion King which ironically was a ripoff of Kimba the White Lion. Disney may be a money powerhouse but they have been creatively bankrupt for at least 30 years now. Makes sense they would turn to leeching anime again to appear modern and appeal to the current generation.
☆☆☆
"There's a huge difference between one and infinity.
However, compared to the difference between
existence and non-existence, one and infinite are
nearly the same. I am the child destined to become
the best witch... no... The greatest Creator in the world...!"
-Maria Ushiromiya
☆☆☆

Oct 14, 2021 11:13 AM

Feb 2021
For those who are scared that Disney is gonna buy anime studios, think about it they can’t buy the company or workplace of foreign countries it just doesn’t look right, however what they can buy is something like powerhouse studio or other American animation studios.
Oct 14, 2021 11:21 AM

Feb 2010
if they start buying other studios then it's time for the monopoly busting laws to actually do their fucking job.
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Oct 14, 2021 11:31 AM

Jan 2013
Y'all worried about Disney doing more harm when the anime being put out has been a shitshow for years now lol. I'm not concerned at all and would bet that they'll do a better job than Hollywood ever did.

What does fear taste like? Does it taste good? Tell me.

Quoting myself from another thread about Disney or Sony putting their feet into the anime industry:
Chandela said:
Disney for sure. They're always looking for new IP to mine for decades to come (not that it's strictly a bad thing).

You guys should really check out "The Ride of a Lifetime: Lessons Learned from 15 Years as CEO of the Walt Disney Company" by Robert Iger for greater insight into such things. It's a great read/listen that covers their acquisition of ABC, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, nearly Twitter, and 21st Century Fox set through the life/narrative of their former CEO, Robert Iger. He was even confident that if Steve Jobs didn't die, they would have merged their companies (Apple/Disney) together.
ChandelaOct 14, 2021 11:37 AM
Oct 14, 2021 11:35 AM

Apr 2018
EndlessMaria said:
Disney hasn't even made anything good since the Lion King which ironically was a ripoff of Kimba the White Lion.

Not to defend Disney or anything, but I highly recommend you watch YMS's YouTube video on the topic. It's very long (around 2hrs 30 mins.), but it is an excellent and extremely well-researched takedown of that long-standing misconception.
Oct 14, 2021 1:51 PM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
Stygian_Prisoner said:
EndlessMaria said:
Disney hasn't even made anything good since the Lion King which ironically was a ripoff of Kimba the White Lion.

Not to defend Disney or anything, but I highly recommend you watch YMS's YouTube video on the topic. It's very long (around 2hrs 30 mins.), but it is an excellent and extremely well-researched takedown of that long-standing misconception.
I'm surprised people even still have this stance these days... seriously though @EndlessMaria watch this video before you go around saying that

also i'm glad to see some fellow YMS fans around here
Oct 14, 2021 2:21 PM
Mar 2021
it's pretty bad, they have limited experience handling this kind of thing, so it's likely to be a mess, and there's a serious risk they cheap out on subbing and dubbing companies. They have the money to do better, but Disney is probably not taking this as seriously as they should judging by the pretty random slate of things they've started with.
Oct 14, 2021 2:24 PM

Apr 2018
Fario-P said:
I'm surprised people even still have this stance these days... seriously though EndlessMaria watch this video before you go around saying that

Yeah, this video was honestly kind of a huge wake-up call for me; because it made me realize how easy it is to fall into or adopt a certain school of thought without really having enough information to reach a conclusion by oneself.

I'll admit that i, too, used to be in the "Lion King ripped off Kimba" camp despite still having an immense love for the former and without having actually watched Kimba myself; i simply took other people's surface-level comparisons at face value just because they seemed legit enough. Boy, did i learn not to talk shit about stuff i don't really know about, lol.

And yeah, YMS is great. I do think he can be a little too harsh or cynical in his reviews sometimes, but man is it always entertaining to watch him tear a movie to shreds regardless lol.
Oct 14, 2021 2:35 PM

Jun 2020
Not the first time if I said so myself

*cough cough* Cory In The House

(Yeah, I'm fuckin with y'all)
Oct 14, 2021 2:50 PM
Oct 2017
Do what they want, I have been watching fewer and fewer anime for months now... anime was a nice ride while it lasted
Oct 14, 2021 4:23 PM
Jul 2018
Fario-P said:
Stygian_Prisoner said:

I'm surprised people even still have this stance these days... seriously though @EndlessMaria watch this video before you go around saying that

Disney were well aware of Kimba and had ties with Japanese studios, including their own studio of Walt Disney Animation Japan and they were in contact with Tezuka as well. One of the Lion King producers spent also few years in Japan.

It is not a matter of copying Kimba, which was never the case, but rather trying to play down any case for inspiration.

Eg Disney staff in interviews initially said they had no idea of Kimba, yet later they admitted of having watched Kimba.

If lawyers and managers take the helm instead of the more honest animators, then you have such silly arguments coming.
Oct 14, 2021 4:26 PM

Jan 2013
If there's money to be made, you can be sure D!sney will milk that cow until they squeeze it until it's a mummy.
Oct 14, 2021 4:27 PM

Apr 2018
Very good because of moar competition. This means more money for the anime industry; which means more subscriptions for consumers to pay for. Win-Win
Oct 14, 2021 4:32 PM
Sep 2015
I just hope the anime industry doesn't end like Stars Wars or Marvel, it is a good thing that CR/Funimation/Netflix have competition but please don't buy every studio.
Oct 14, 2021 4:36 PM
Apr 2014
I anticipated this. Disney would have done so sooner or later. Its a good thing Sony with CR/Funi and Netflix gets some competition. However if Disney starts to buy studios and publishers then I'm worried as they can influence the animation standards by then. (well, Sony trough Aniplex and A-1 pictures/cloverworks can already do so)
Oct 14, 2021 5:07 PM

Apr 2020
i'm generally negative
but i'm just a freeloader in the anime community so i don't think my opinion matters

Oct 14, 2021 5:11 PM

Dec 2016
Great I see competition as a good thing, hope they deliver quality shows
한 번만 살지만 제대로 하면 한 번이면 충분해요
Oct 14, 2021 5:18 PM

Dec 2007
4esthetics said:
Disney will do more harm than good to anime, and the newest Star Wars trilogy is proof lol
it wasn't that bad.
only the first and the third were.
lol
Oct 14, 2021 5:35 PM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
petran79 said:
Fario-P said:

Disney were well aware of Kimba and had ties with Japanese studios, including their own studio of Walt Disney Animation Japan and they were in contact with Tezuka as well. One of the Lion King producers spent also few years in Japan.

It is not a matter of copying Kimba, which was never the case, but rather trying to play down any case for inspiration.

Eg Disney staff in interviews initially said they had no idea of Kimba, yet later they admitted of having watched Kimba.

If lawyers and managers take the helm instead of the more honest animators, then you have such silly arguments coming.
Have you seen the video I linked? It actually addresses each of those things you mentioned, including a Lion King producer having been in Japan sometime before the '89 Jungle Emperor series came out. YMS usually does thorough research for his fully-fledged YMS reviews, and this video he made on the Jungle Emperor series is no exception, especially since not many people outside of Japan has actually seen any iteration of the series.
The video even got me considering if I should watch the '89 series sometime... ngl it seems interesting and the OP sounds good.
Oct 14, 2021 6:05 PM
Dec 2017
This is bad like very very bad-bob from reboot.

Oct 14, 2021 6:35 PM

Mar 2019
West is taking over anime. Get ready to see biracial half black, half philipino tetrasexual demi girl trans males as the main characters.

Anime was it's best 20000 years ago, when cavemen drew art with real depth.
Modern anime is all garbage. I miss great old days of anime.
Oct 14, 2021 6:52 PM

Jul 2007
light_straight said:
West is taking over anime. Get ready to see biracial half black, half philipino tetrasexual demi girl trans males as the main characters.

oof that is one wild fantasy you are projecting
☆☆☆
"There's a huge difference between one and infinity.
However, compared to the difference between
existence and non-existence, one and infinite are
nearly the same. I am the child destined to become
the best witch... no... The greatest Creator in the world...!"
-Maria Ushiromiya
☆☆☆

Oct 14, 2021 7:03 PM

Mar 2019
EndlessMaria said:
light_straight said:

Lmao.
Don't worry, wait 2-3 decades and we'll get to animals and furry inclusions. You don't have to wait that long.

Anime was it's best 20000 years ago, when cavemen drew art with real depth.
Modern anime is all garbage. I miss great old days of anime.
Oct 14, 2021 7:17 PM

Aug 2020
Since Disney Owns Sora, i can't wait for a Kingdom Hearts anime
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 14, 2021 7:28 PM

May 2016
light_straight said:
EndlessMaria said:

Lmao.
Don't worry, wait 2-3 decades and we'll get to animals and furry inclusions. You don't have to wait that long.

Boy, do I have some bad news for you...

This glorious signature image was created by @Mayumi!

I am the Arbiter of Absolute Truth, and here is my wisdom:

"Anime was always influenced by the West. This is not news.
Shoujo is the superior genre primarily aimed at young people.
Harem/isekai are lazy genres that refuse any meaningful innovation.
There is no 'Golden Age.' There will always be top-shelf anime.
You should be watching Carole & Tuesday."
Oct 14, 2021 7:32 PM
Jul 2018
"There is good and bad luck in this world. That's... something I've been told. There are situations where if you'd gotten somewhere one second sooner, you might have been in an accident or avoided an accident. Or you met or didn't meet someone important when you went somewhere. Things were the results is good or bad, and the cause is good or evil. There're situations like that... I've been told. But that is a misapprehension. A societal misunderstanding caused by a large number of people living together. Once you clear away anything extraneous and view each individual in each individual situations, what we find existing around us is... simply strength and weakness. Good and bad luck, good and evil, legal and illegal, you can forget all that. There exist the strong that survived and the weak which are destroyed. Those two, and nothing more."

When Anime goes mainstream there are both pros and cons we have to persist.
Oct 14, 2021 7:36 PM

Aug 2017
A stupid company doesn't have the power to influence an entire culture. I'm not worried.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Oct 14, 2021 7:42 PM

Sep 2016
I'm split on the topic. They have been making god-tier decisions by having Star Wars: Visions made and licensing out Yojohan Time Machine Blues. Then again, they are creating an original anime based on their gacha game, which... keep that far away from me.
Oct 14, 2021 7:43 PM

May 2016
KarlwithaK said:
IThen again, they are creating an original anime based on their gacha game,

Ohhhh...? You mean Disney Heroes? I haven't heard about this...

This glorious signature image was created by @Mayumi!

I am the Arbiter of Absolute Truth, and here is my wisdom:

"Anime was always influenced by the West. This is not news.
Shoujo is the superior genre primarily aimed at young people.
Harem/isekai are lazy genres that refuse any meaningful innovation.
There is no 'Golden Age.' There will always be top-shelf anime.
You should be watching Carole & Tuesday."
Oct 14, 2021 7:43 PM

Aug 2020
we're in the endgame now

thirty character limit
Oct 14, 2021 7:44 PM

Sep 2016
ItzGarrehandro said:

The stars are aligning. The prophesy shall become true.

Wait, nvm, Cory actor is a pedo. Always forget that.
Oct 14, 2021 7:45 PM

Sep 2016
Zelkiiro said:
KarlwithaK said:
IThen again, they are creating an original anime based on their gacha game,

Ohhhh...? You mean Disney Heroes? I haven't heard about this...

I don't think so. I meant Disney: Twisted Wonderland.
Oct 14, 2021 7:48 PM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
KarlwithaK said:
ItzGarrehandro said:

The stars are aligning. The prophesy shall become true.

Wait, nvm, Cory actor is a pedo. Always forget that.
ok holy shit i thought you were just shitposting, but nope, just looked it up... childhood destroyed yet again
Oct 14, 2021 7:50 PM
Jul 2018
Neutral, do what they want. Not supporting them.
Oct 14, 2021 7:56 PM
Jul 2018
4esthetics said:

But Star Wars Visions is counter proof
Oct 15, 2021 12:45 AM
Jul 2018
@Fario-P

I did watch some parts back when it was released.

Similarities in content are very superficial to warrant a copyright case but for legal experts and lawyers even the most minute detail matter.

It is just that Disney's cultural appropriation and dominance is beyond normal. I remember an article few years ago where they wanted to take under their own IP and license the phrase "Hakuna Matata", which caused a stir in Swahili speaking countries and was abandoned.

Even adaptations of known novels like Fox and Hound and Winnie the Poo via marketing totally obliterate even the existence of the source material.

This happened with Kimba to an even greater extent since it was only a very loose connection.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Anime you only knowledges about is from the memes

Spunkert - 8 hours ago

16 by Horizon248 »»
4 minutes ago

» Is it ok to finish anime you don't enjoy ?

Alpha_1_Zero - 2 hours ago

19 by Sorachin »»
7 minutes ago

» How often do you rewatch anime?

Destinesia - 7 hours ago

16 by redorzo »»
9 minutes ago

» Anime that low-testosterone males can't comprehend ( 1 2 )

Ejrodiew - Apr 14

91 by AxiaG »»
9 minutes ago

» What are your thoughts on harem anime?

BuddhaIsBetter - 8 hours ago

36 by DesuMaiden »»
11 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.