Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 11, 2021 9:59 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Amou's life is pretty normal, or at least the people that lives with him.

Got the similar mech action as the first episode. It seems they are showcasing Amou's potential and skills already. He also seems more confident now in fighting with his mech. Gai pretty much plays the role of mascot mentor. A bit of a slower paced episode but I have to say the action was quite intense.
Oct 11, 2021 10:26 AM

Jun 2019
It's been quite a while that I'm actually enjoying a mech show. It's not anything out of ordinary, you have your characters and the basic mecha stuff happening in the show but somehow it's working for me. Just basic mecha shit with AI spice involved into it, maybe my taste has gotten worse over the years. LOL

But, yeah... I'm enjoying this and I enjoyed this episode as well. Amou is a decent protagonist IMO. But, my favorite is the AI, Gai. Gotta give it to Amou, he's getting used to it pretty nicely. I just hope they keep checking these marks for me at least in this show. No complaints about the action so far, it's as good as it can get. Looking forward to more. I guess... sometimes mediocrity is fine. You don't have to do anything out of the box to impress the audience. At least, for me... here in this case.
Oct 11, 2021 10:55 AM

Apr 2016
The boy and his "guarding spirit/AI" are on the run in this episode. No wonder, after the rukuss they caused last week who wouldn't. The Oceanian army nonetheless on their trail they need to hide no matter what, but fortunately they find a shelter with Wolverine's grandparents. Obviously they have their own story ... a sad one, but wont turn the MC-kun just like that.

With a country under oppression the main duo will most probably be finding more and more people with the same "cause", to join them. Now, the poster shows more pilots, so i guess its time for them to make appearance. Also, again same as the last week, very nice production value this anime has.
Oct 11, 2021 10:56 AM

Jul 2017
The AMAIM mech battle aren't letting up, and so is Amou piloting the AMAIM that Gai has put together for him to escape sight from the Oceanian military.

Amou Shiiba is already branded as a terrorist, and he has no choice to but to live a different life. Chancing upon a vegetable field managed by an old couple living in the mountains is Amou's godsend to live another day, but as word spreads around it becomes uncertain if Amou can actually survive for long.

It'a a calculated risk, but Amou cannot put innocent lives in danger, and made the faithful decision to leave the old couple's home. Amou is targeted from all sides wanting to acclaim the fame of his killing, but thanks to Gai he's able to circumvent the Asian military's side, just not on a technical scale.

The 2nd manned AMAIM to save Amou out of his predicament, and we'll see what goes from here.

Amou has to get used to this sooner than later, to play the Hero. I can still trust Sunrise Beyond for their tried-and-true mech action production.
Oct 11, 2021 11:15 AM
Sep 2015
Bittersweet episode. While it has its heartwarming moment, and since enemies are all unmanned robots, there's no death toll. But who knows how many people died before the start of the story. The son of farmer couple, for example...

Next episode will have another DILF character, yeah!
Oct 11, 2021 11:25 AM

Nov 2008
The creators really showed their work, I was thinking Amou could use the Nyuren's machine gun, but unlike some Gundam installments (while limited, some MS can use more than one factions' weapons) and Front Mission (where nearly all weapons and parts for the matter can be used due to their universal standardization), he couldn't fire it, due to Kenbu not being compatible with the gun.

Oct 11, 2021 11:43 AM

Feb 2014
Well, Gashin is here and he is sure to take these guys out.
Oct 11, 2021 11:44 AM
Dec 2019
Gotta say, the mecha action is looking great. A rarity to see so many non-CGI fight scenes nowadays. Even if the rest of the show is just "standard mecha stuff", the action alone could be worth it.
Oct 11, 2021 11:55 AM

May 2021
I really like Gai. The old man and his wife were also very nice and willing to keep Amou safe. Seems Amou’s and Gai’s AMAIM is also very powerful now that Gai has collected his data and added a few new moves. Fight scenes are also absolutely amazing! Nice to see it’s not CGI also. Looking forward to the next episode!
AISHITERU...REM!
Oct 11, 2021 11:57 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Hmm if anything the unmanned mecha's that the enemies use make them pretty easy to command on the field even when using advanced tactics. Depriving the foe of the value of their hostages was a nice move. The inclusion of civilians who had been affected greatly by the boundary war though was a nice tough as we got to see the kind of pain that they went through as a result of it. The insight into human nature specifically trust was also interesting. Gai's ability to interact with vehicles by entering their systems really is quite useful. Not to mention the fact that Gai can also impart new combat data at will as well. The fight against the Asian alliance interception force was pretty fun but it also did well to show that when prepared each of the three blocs have armies thats highly effective at their roles. Overall a solid ep that featured a good balance of lore expansion and action. Curious to meet their savior next week though.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 11, 2021 2:24 PM

Feb 2012
So last episode's villains were the Aussies. Now it's the Chinese (aka Asia presumably the red+gold flag that conquered the southwest) with the Yankees (NAS...North American States?, the guys in the southeast of Japan with the stars and stripe flag) observing.

And with an American faction, we got this red-haired discount Graham Aker who's going to study the Kenbu in action.

The dissonance is even worse than AGE. Sunrise Beyond de-Buildified the Build Series with Re:RISE (and it worked to some extent). To produce this new original mecha IP, it feels like they just removed what make the Build Series the Build Series entirely, replaced it with a generic war story, but kept in the character design and comedy.

At the end of the episode, this mishmash of Lockon Stratos and Setsuna F. Seiei makes his apperance as he intervenes in the battle between Kenbu and the Nyurens.

C'mon writers, get more creative and subtle with your allegories; Valvrave, Buddy Complex and Code Geass all did better and at least provided a reasons for their underlying conflict.

Next episode, Eurasians (probably Russia since they invaded Hokkaido on the map last episode, but apparently there's North Korean influence in the flag design).

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Oct 11, 2021 4:20 PM
Oct 2021
This episode was really awesome. Next episode the protagonist will join the terrorist group, can't wait to see it. I really enjoy the goofy, less series approach in this anime (big reseambrance to Gundam ZZ, so maybe we might get a good antagonist like Haman Karn), definitly earns the title of the best anime of this year.
So far we got a lot of inspiration from Code Geass plot, and original Mobile Suit Gundam 1979 colores on the AMAIM.

Ps. If you wan to watch something more serious I recommend watching Mobile Suit Gundam Zeta.
Oct 11, 2021 9:00 PM

Jan 2011
A nice fight! I'm liking this. So much potential.

I thought this would be something between comedy and parody,
so I'm glad it didn't go down that road.

We need more action/mecha series like this!!
YukiTsubakiOct 12, 2021 4:49 AM
Oct 11, 2021 11:11 PM

Nov 2012
Shiiba nearly dies, lucky the new guy saved him.

Action scenes in this are so good.
Oct 12, 2021 1:44 AM

Oct 2016
Well, there goes returning the ship, that's pretty sad, but I am sure the old husband and wife won't mind. Pretty good episode! The mecha action is still pretty clean. Well, I expected those other characters in the op to save him after struggling.
Oct 12, 2021 5:56 AM

Jun 2021
OK episode.

Pacing feels a little bit slow, but I guess that's fine since it has 25 episodes. The old couple helping the MC felt a little cliche, but it was a nice moment none the less.

The mecha fight scenes was OK as well, although the idea of one machine using martial arts beating multiple machines with automatic weapons felt a little silly.

Oct 12, 2021 9:03 AM

Jul 2021
Really liked this episode, the part where the ship exploded though was just pretty sad. I hope that by the end of this or just halfway through the anime we meet the old man and his wife again.

And not surprised Amou got saved at the end, but it would've been interesting to see what would've happened if he got caught and taken into custody. But also they might've just killed him, seeing he's labelled as a terrorist
Oct 12, 2021 10:17 AM

Feb 2019
Ngl this shit really slaps. Looks like sunrise have learnt their lesson from back arrow and actually gave us something good this time. The ED SLAPS
Oct 12, 2021 4:00 PM
Jul 2018
I think it's amazing how they will make the decision to use 2D on robots, my reaction was surprised and different.

But the story is proceeding very well I was waiting for it.

Plus also the escape of Amou against people who are looking for him specifically this is very well done the way he got the food he was planned to eat, he got it working different from some shows doesn't do that kind of thing anymore either all the events in that episode were handled well.
Oct 12, 2021 6:20 PM
Apr 2021
the only thing this show has going for it is the animation
the plot is very average, especially for a mecha. No politics, no violence. There's not even anyone in the mechas except for the MC (and probably the sniper guy from the end of the episode). Enemies drop like flies from the very start unlike with the better gundam installments when the introduction would demonstrate that even a single enemy mecha could be a deadly threat. There's no tension here. And it's more than just plot.
The characters are dead as well. Amou is so bland. He got no characterisation in the first episode, and so far we've got nothing here either.

I think I said this with Tsuki to Laika to Nosferatu as well, but this show is just so lightweight. It doesn't even have a unique premise either. This is a copy + paste mecha with good animation.
Oct 12, 2021 6:29 PM
Jan 2018
Very basic mecha anime story beats. The old couple didn't die and lives aren't on the line as of yet, but everything slots in nicely. This show is mecha comfort food. After this mecha anime drought, it's nice to just relax with a kinda war story. I don't believe this anime can keep up this level of quality. But I would be very happy if it does.

Also the AI has strong Morgana vibes. I don't hate it. This time, the cat monster was the one that went to sleep.

I didn't think the MC would meet up with his team so soon. Hopefully, that means this show will not waste time in other parts of the show as well.
Oct 12, 2021 10:50 PM

Feb 2019
Aside from the goddamned digimon, this really seems like it's trying to be a Gundam knockoff, but my god, is the writing so horrendous at every single step of the way, enough that the greater budget over the other dumb mecha show today may end up being the superior one. He tricks the evil government by going "Ha ha! Those people are just randos, and you'd get bad press for killing innocents. So says I, a terrorist! Terrorist away!" And this worked. This is then followed by him randomly finding a farm and a montage of working on a farm. Nobody's he's related to or anything like that. Just simple farm folk. For half the goddamned episode. Not even leading to, say, the evil government showing up and him protecting them or getting caught in the crossfire. After consuming half the episode, he just… leaves. And that's it.

Then with barely five minutes left, we get to the 'action' part of the episode, and the direct gets to tagteam being horrible with the writer. Not only does the excessive talking about how cool the digimon is never stop, but we're going full Star Wars stormtroopers in their accuracy. Ha ha! Using my super programming, we are going to run straight at them through a hail of bullets and never get hit! They'll never see it coming and with our power of punching them once, we are invincible! But then they need to end the episode on a cliffhanger, so a single bullet to the heel completely disables the mech. At this point, they pin it down and all of them start firing into it at full auto from point blank range, showing that it's actually completely invincible to all guns. Wait, what? Except for that one spot on the heel, apparently. Why aren't all mechs invulnerable to guns like this? Why were we saying we were dodging at all? Why were they missing? Can literally anything here make any sense?
Oct 12, 2021 11:56 PM

Sep 2015
The man with red hair is named Captain Watt should we add the character in the character list. He seems interested of the Maned AMAIM of Amou Shiba.
RHS100Oct 13, 2021 12:00 AM
Anime/MangaFan Mahwa fan
Oct 13, 2021 12:24 AM

Oct 2008
OKAY! a great 2nd episode! give us more mech action!!!
5/5.

Oct 13, 2021 12:36 AM
Mar 2012
nice ED. basic mech plot so far.
nice fight.
not yet seeing anything unique about the show yet, so many mechas this season already. mc's bland so delay showing main casts could be bad for viewership.
Oct 13, 2021 9:04 AM

Apr 2016
phantomfandom said:
Bittersweet episode. While it has its heartwarming moment, and since enemies are all unmanned robots, there's no death toll. But who knows how many people died before the start of the story. The son of farmer couple, for example...

I don't think anyone from the main cast is a dad yet, so what are you even on about.
Oct 13, 2021 3:01 PM
Ero Ojisan

Jun 2019
The guy that saved Amou from being surrounded by the Asian army is one hell of a shot, but it seems he has a chip on his shoulder. I wonder what his backstory is? News of the rouge AMAIM has caught the attention of the Captain Watt and he seems to be interested in the pilot by studying its moves.
Oct 14, 2021 5:16 AM
Apr 2014
kinda contrived way to lose a battle but ok

Oct 14, 2021 10:30 PM

Oct 2019
As I keep watching, I keep seeing knightmare references. The Nyuren looks like a Type-01 Alexander with all the armor smoothed out, painted red, and the shoulders taken off. Although I might just be seeing the resemblance due to the horns.

I do think the scene with Amou not being able to use the enemy guns and instead using it as a club was pretty cool, and lent some detail on the mechanics of how Amaims are operated in regards to weapons requiring authentication. I also liked the shot where he jumped off the boat, and threw off the tarp like it were a cape. I love that kind of thing.

And that dude whose Amaim looks like the Barzam from Zeta Gundam showed up, so I'd like to see where that goes, as well as Cpt. Watt's interest in Amou. Since we're still in the setup phase of the show, it's hard to say.
GundamojoOct 14, 2021 10:36 PM
Oct 15, 2021 4:44 PM

Feb 2012
Marinate1016 said:
Ngl this shit really slaps. Looks like sunrise have learnt their lesson from back arrow and actually gave us something good this time. The ED SLAPS
Back Arrow was by VOLN. Goro Taniguchi doesn't work exclusively at Sunrise.

Kyoukai Senki is by Sunrise Beyond (basically, XEBEC went bankrupt and Sunrise bought it).

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Oct 16, 2021 8:16 AM
Jul 2019
I loved how this episode dug the human to human interaction, that scene with the farmer couple though it is short but gave amou enough motivation and add a layer to the story. i loved it. i honestly didn't expect anything when watching this anime for the first time but.. surprisingly it worked very well for me
Nov 2, 2021 2:24 AM

Jan 2015
A really good episode, looking forward to the next one
Jan 1, 2022 2:36 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
That old couple was really kind, heartwarming how they helped him and even gave their deceased son's boat. Nice mecha action.
May 30, 2022 3:10 PM
Oct 2019
episode 1 was fair/ok. this wasn't any better. i was thinking i might drop it... until that head shot at the end. oh my. another man-powered robo

i'll give it another couple episodes and see how things go

5/10 overall so far
Jun 14, 2023 5:44 PM

Jun 2015
Swagernator said:
phantomfandom said:

I don't think anyone from the main cast is a dad yet, so what are you even on about.
rip boat; it was my favourite character.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kyoukai Senki Episode 7 Discussion

Stark700 - Nov 15, 2021

25 by Deago »»
Jun 25, 2023 1:30 AM

Poll: » Kyoukai Senki Episode 6 Discussion

Stark700 - Nov 8, 2021

16 by Deago »»
Jun 24, 2023 6:05 PM

Poll: » Kyoukai Senki Episode 5 Discussion

Stark700 - Nov 1, 2021

25 by Deago »»
Jun 24, 2023 5:33 AM

» Law of Barnabas ... What ? (Episode 2)

Musika - Jun 29, 2022

2 by Musika »»
Jun 30, 2022 8:41 AM

Poll: » Kyoukai Senki Episode 13 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 27, 2021

34 by Valyrian1124 »»
Apr 15, 2022 1:31 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.