Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
SHAMAN KING
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Apr 2, 2021 8:03 AM

Apr 2015
That was definitely more accurate to the manga's first chapter than the 2001 anime was. Though they seem to chose to fly right through the Mosuke stuff. I'm guessing for the sake of introducing Ren sooner. If they have to rush it, I hope it's just the early stuff being rushed like FMA:B was.
Apr 2, 2021 8:04 AM

Apr 2014
Pretty solid start.

I really looking forward to, the best girl, Anna. And,
何それ?意味分かんない
Apr 2, 2021 8:20 AM

Jun 2017
Wow, did the bots downvote this already??
Apr 2, 2021 8:26 AM

Aug 2018
Used to love this show when I was kid, hope it holds up! Liked the first episode. The pacing is a problem but it might improve later on. My nostalgia goggles are big so I'm still optimistic :)
Apr 2, 2021 8:31 AM

Aug 2013
I was finally able to watch this. Nothing too special imo but I'm still looking forward to it.

Apr 2, 2021 8:41 AM
Aug 2020
Mal needs to stop these bots lol
Apr 2, 2021 8:44 AM

Aug 2020
Let's go guys and welcome back again let's expect that this to have a better animation and pog for a 1 year shaman king on TV

Apr 2, 2021 8:47 AM

Apr 2021
First time watching this and it's pretty good so far. I love the setting.
Apr 2, 2021 9:02 AM
Nov 2017
Lmao what was that pacing, its like the animators took a bunch of speed when drawing this episode

But other than that it was pretty good methinks, the art is way better that the original, and the music is not bad either. Though they really need to slow down (not gonna stop me from watching it, but jesus lol)
Apr 2, 2021 9:11 AM
Apr 2014
Kinda worried about this pacing, then again I remember jack about the early parts of the story so maybe its not that bad.

Good early 2000s vibe with the op/ed song.
Apr 2, 2021 9:14 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Pretty cool first episode, this.

First time watching Shaman King and I'm already interested in the setting and world! Add to that quality animation and solid soundtracks, this is in good hands and here's to hoping the staff working will be able to keep this up.

Op & ED are pretty nice, too.

52 episodes, essentially a year or more, is a good treat too. Hopefully, there'll be more episodes to cover the entire manga instead of a rushjob.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Apr 2, 2021 9:14 AM

Jul 2020
sheesh solid episode
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀

Apr 2, 2021 9:20 AM

Apr 2014
From what I am trying to understand from what other people are saying events were not adapted properly. Anyone want to confirm for me? Been excited about it, and now I felt like things kind of rushed too quickly. Like way too quickly. I thought this backstory of Yoh was suppose to show later down the road. Though all of a sudden it is shown at the very beginning. I do not know. Anyone wanna help and confirm for me? Would be very grateful.
Apr 2, 2021 9:22 AM
Apr 2020
Haven't watched the original. Didn't like the art style initially but by the end of the episode kind of adjusted to it.

Liked the story from 600 years ago, and the friendship they had.

The fight should have been slightly slower. Pacing is gonna be a big problem if they adapt the whole thing in 52 episodes. Very rushed. Give us time to understand what's happening man! Too fast rides end in crash.
Apr 2, 2021 9:24 AM
Cherry Thighs

Apr 2013
I haven't seen the original so I won't be feeling the same amount of nostalgia as a lot of others, so it felt pretty bland for me. I think I'll give it a few more episodes before I decide where I stand on if I'm going to continue watching or leave it.
Apr 2, 2021 9:29 AM

Sep 2011
Ok, being a SK fan since childhood, having only read the manga and never getting into the old anime, what I can say is...
IT WAS INCREDIBLEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Omg how satisfying it is to see all this greatness, this colorful well-animated well-presented wonderful story and characters.. YOH IS SO BEAUTIFULLLL i'm not even kidding.. he's perfect, spouting philosophies with each random phrase as always, his voice is also so soothing, props to seiyuu.
Amidamaru is also amazing. I really loved him in the manga, but in the anime he got a lot more presence, intensity.. he's truly mythical and legendary being.. can't wait to see more of him from now on

Also.. the decision to show Hao at the beggining was just GENIUS. Newborn overpower. I'm sure he's gonna be considered one of the greatest villains ever created at the end of it all, as he rightfully deserves

In the end.. I loved it.. I know it was rushed and can see why some people can get kinda overwhelmed.. but the most essential parts were there and were focused, and I'm sure after these first already animated before parts it will be smooth sailing from there.

This is Shaman King's REDEMPTION. I was having doubts simply because of studio choice, but I'm happy to be left impressed and shocked and amazed.

YOH BEST BOY EVER
Apr 2, 2021 9:39 AM

May 2020
So first episode of reboot, a dream finally came true. I'm really sad for people who didn't watch or read the original anime/manga to have the same hype as us. But i hope to enjoy the show.

OP is very good with some Shaman King ''vibes'' inside, but the ED is meh for me.

Looking forward to see Anna being a Top Tier Waifu and scenes from X-Law Shamans, will be dope.

Don't know so much about the voting score but someone must get a life really ..

“Reality rejected… synapses shattered… be vanished from this world!” ~ Rikka Takanashi
Apr 2, 2021 9:53 AM
Jul 2016
A total disappointment .. I thought that the sequel from season 1 will finally appear .. But it's actually a remake after season 1, btw i eatched on kayoanime
Apr 2, 2021 10:01 AM
Oct 2019
I do some research, i see they bring back most of the Seiyuu from the OG
This must be a good thing, also please the old fans.

I like the concept, the Characters Design was unique...
Animation Quality looks good to me.

I have never seen the OG, I'm going in blind...
Can't wait for more to come.
Apr 2, 2021 10:14 AM
Apr 2020
As everyone else, I was sceptical when I heard that the remake will have only 52 episodes. I knew they have the intentions to cover the whole manga and I though that they're gonna divide it into different parts, but looks like I was quiet wrong. This episode was so rushed and fast-paced that I'm starting to believe that they'll actually try to cover the whole thing in 52 episodes (which is even shorter than the original). I really hope that it will get better with time, because this start killed all the hype I had for this remake.
KebapcheApr 2, 2021 10:19 AM
Apr 2, 2021 10:30 AM

Jan 2018
I finally watched it. It was a solid start. The 1st episode adapted chapter 1 and 2 with rearranging few scenes. Pretty 1:1 adaptation so far. The anime looks good and the pacing was fine for the first episode. Don't know how they will manage to adapt 300 chapters in 52 episodes. Looks like they'll skip chapter 3-5 which I guess is fine and I am worried about the pacing for the latter episodes BUT I'm gonna try to be optimistic cause fcking Shaman King is back. One of my favorite manga. Man it feels great to see them back again. I like the new op and ed. Especially the ed.

Can't wait to see best girl Anna again. Looking forward to it.
ARK-13Apr 2, 2021 10:42 AM
Apr 2, 2021 10:55 AM

Aug 2014
It's ok so far.

I guess, I'm not hyped for it yet, partially because it feels like a cram job. They're clearly rushing through the first manga volume. This episode is basically step by step chapter 1, chapter 2 squeezed into a side plot, then skipping chapters 3 through 5 and only leaving in the final panels of Ren's first appearance.

Skipping chapters 3-5 is ok. The original series did so to. It's just a weekly adventure slice of life filler, but the backstory of Amidamaru and Mosuke really felt a bit wasted and lacking character impact.

The other reason I didn't like it too much is just that the first episode was never too good in the first place. So we get straight guy Manta, who reasonably reacts in horror to the existence of spirits, while he meets Yoh - the cool guy, protagonist - who's several steps ahead of him on the shaman thing. It just isn't that interesting material yet.
Apr 2, 2021 11:07 AM

Aug 2014
AndreiWkn said:
A total disappointment .. I thought that the sequel from season 1 will finally appear .. But it's actually a remake after season 1, btw i eatched on kayoanime

Yeah, you had the wrong expectations. The last 20 or so episodes of the anime were anime only, because the manga hasn't finished by the time the anime was airing.

There was really little reason to continue that story and I feel like I speak for everyone who's read the manga and watched the anime, that adapting the manga ending is probably the better option than continuing on from the anime ending.
Apr 2, 2021 11:11 AM
Jul 2016
Ok, you're right, but.. I expect this season will made my childhood complete 😂
Btw i watched just the show, i waven t watched manga
Apr 2, 2021 11:16 AM

Jun 2019
I was expecting it to start off a little stronger than this.

The character designs are a little too dated for my liking, with bigger charactrs having tiny heads and that one kid being 2 - 3 feet tall in middle school. That kid seems like he will be the reason for exposition dumps and “comic relief” (even though he isn’t very funny).

It felt like things were moving kinda quick to set up the premise, hopefully it gets to a comfortable pace.
Apr 2, 2021 11:16 AM
Jul 2018
TakafumiNaito said:
So I liked it, but it's not really what I wanted.

It's not as bad as I feared, but I really wish anime directors just accepted the fact the manga author is a better writer than them, and just quietly animated the source material as is.

The real test if this series is going to be good or not I'd say will be epiosode 4. And boy I really hope they do slow down the pace when we start the America arc

Feel pretty good about giving this episode 4/5
And mostly just because I wanted it to adapt every panel, I will not deny that at least episode 1 worked pretty well despite restructuring.

Oh yeah, also ED is really good. I usually skip those, but I might end up watching this one after every episode religiously

I don't really remember manga, but I'dk why they change the order of things happening and if they skip something.I felt that it happened this episode and people said so, I dont like it.Still, the episode is good.I think I just want the exact same thing adapted^^
removed-userApr 2, 2021 11:22 AM
Apr 2, 2021 11:25 AM

Mar 2019
It has been soo long since I watched Shaman King. The nostalgia is definitely on-point, but there are things I like and things I dislike about this one. Yes, the ost is great and same with the animation, but Yoh's voice feels weird. Tbh, when I watched Shaman king, it was dubbed in my language because obviously, things weren't the same back then, outside of japan. Anime wasn't as popular as it is now. Good episode nonetheless and definitely can't wait for more.
Come on man,where is that Noragami season 3 masterpiece.We want it, Bones!

Apr 2, 2021 11:32 AM

Apr 2011
I did not watch majority of old shaman king, but I did glimpse at some of its battles scene.

This new 2021 version animation is bit off, the older version definitely represent what Shaman King is. I wish the adaptation was better, but maybe the next episode with what it seem to be his rival?

My brother thought the first episode was boring and wondering if I thought the same, so we could drop it. However, I told him its just the 1st episode and it will get better later on.

Apr 2, 2021 11:46 AM

Apr 2018
Very Nostalgic to see Shaman King back and Oh man it brings back memories to my childhood honestly. The Animation is so good, cant wait for the next ep.
Apr 2, 2021 11:49 AM
May 2012
Been thinking about Shaman King and found out they did a reboot. It is alright, just hope they decide not to rush it too much.
Apr 2, 2021 12:18 PM

Jan 2013
Sure the first episode was pretty rushed but honestly the start was kinda boring/dragged out in the original so I don't mind them hurrying up to the good stuff if it means they'll have more time to adapt that properly.
OP and ED were fire with Megumi Hayashibara. Visuals look great. Definitely still hopeful that this will be a great remake.
Apr 2, 2021 1:06 PM

Aug 2019
First of all, I'm stoked for this! The opening scene was pretty interesting, it provides a lot of context for somebody like me who has already seen a bit of Shaman King.
So, what the first anime covered in 2 episodes, this one covered in 1. I don't think it's a very bad thing, they did it in a very effective way. I hope they just won't rush stuff too badly during the next episodes.
The opening is almost as good as the original one, I'm glad. The ending is pretty different, but it's good in its own way.
I'm close to halfway through the original Shaman King. I hope I will be able to finish it within the next few weeks so I can direct my attention to this :)
Apr 2, 2021 1:25 PM

Aug 2018
Ok, I'm just gonna say it, yellow/flamish Amidamaru is weird, especialy as it now no longer serves as contrast to his twin's guardian spirit (avoiding spoilers).
Apr 2, 2021 1:47 PM

Aug 2018
As someone who did not read the manga, the pacing seemed really fine for me.
In terms of what happened and not the number of chapters adapted, nothing seemed rushed for me.
Apr 2, 2021 1:55 PM
Sep 2012
So they're rushing it a bit in terms of storytelling. Normally it would take 2 episodes to tell what's been in just this one episode. Hopefully it will slow down to the appropriate pacing after it's done with the introduction arc.
Apr 2, 2021 2:33 PM

Feb 2014
Boy they did a bunch of redesign, but Tao Jun still looks hot af
Apr 2, 2021 2:34 PM
Dec 2013
Pepsik said:
Ok, I'm just gonna say it, yellow/flamish Amidamaru is weird, especialy as it now no longer serves as contrast to his twin's guardian spirit (avoiding spoilers).

Amidamaru has always been yellow in the manga color pages since the very first chapter.
Apr 2, 2021 3:02 PM

Aug 2018
joa12222 said:
Pepsik said:

Amidamaru has always been yellow in the manga color pages since the very first chapter.

It would seem, that the original anime left a bigger impact on my memory when it comes to color. Well that will take some getting used to...
Apr 2, 2021 3:04 PM
Apr 2016
The view poll speaks for itself. This is what happens when you are working with a material many people have deep nostalgia for.

Let's start with things I liked:
+ character and world design remains faithful to the original
+ visually, it's a good remaster

Now, things I liked less:
- Yoh's VA. Sounds very feminine. Not sure how he sounded in the original, as I watched with Czech dub.
- Lack of motion. Lots of still images, the fight in this ep didn't feel impactful enough.

Lastly, the things I hated:
- The opening and ending are garbage imo. The ending especially sounds very vocaloid-y, which I'm not exactly a fan of.
- What's up with the rush? The first ep hastily covered events of the first two eps of the original. The plot, the characters and the world didn't have enough time to be fully established and lost their shine, humour and uniqueness as a result.
Apr 2, 2021 3:22 PM

Sep 2011
Well, reading most of the comments I guess people really got disappointed, what a shame.. but it's understandable, the rushness was hard..

My glimmer of hope lies on the people who went blind, didn't know the series or never watched the old anime, and enjoyed it.. since SK is my childhood manga, I really wanna see it prosper and become a great hit like it deserved in its time, but old anime filler robbed it of it.. honestly, never having seen the old anime, it was a great episode for me, good start for the series

Just today I saw it's gonna be only 52 episodes, and honestly I have my doubts as well.. I don't need it to be an extremely faithfull adaptation, SK goes deep in almost all of its characters even secondary ones and villains so it would need at least 100+ epis to tell it all.. so if it doesn't lose its essence, its deep philosophies and messages, I'll be glad..
Also, Hiroyuki being supervising the project too gives me relief. The man didn't wait all this time for nothing, my guess is he's know what he's doing, he's modernizing Shaman King to new audiences, new style, new vision maybe.. I'm pretty sure we gonna see some fascinating scenes in the future, including from the Kanzenban and the show's true final

I just wish it got the re:zero treatment with 30 min episodes with no op and ed.. to get the most of the show's run.. but one can only dream :(
Apr 2, 2021 3:35 PM

Nov 2009
I decided to watch it for nostalgia's sake. The 2004 version aired when I was a small kid so my memory's not to best. I like the old designs more with the only exception being Chocolove, who know looks better imo. There wasn't so much saturation too, which I'm not a fan of. The pacing felt rushed but maybe the episode count or the budget are at fault.

Also, the voices... Dunno if I'll be able to get used to them. I watched the anime with Polish dub and hadn't thought to check if they matched their Japanese counterparts. Will have to check how everybody sounded like in the original I guess. And where is your tan, Yoh? (I only now realized manga!Yoh is pale, huh.)

The ending took me by surprise. At first it felt out of place, but on the other hand, vokaloids give this otherwordly feeling, much like the theme of the show.
I liked the music overall and it was my favourite thing about the episode.
RrenApr 2, 2021 4:14 PM
Apr 2, 2021 3:37 PM

Aug 2018
IamShameless said:

Well you can't beat the nostalgic feel of "Kouzel král". I'm just hoping they were saving the animation budget for the next fight, as this fight was truly lackluster. (But I guess it was also a bit lackluster in the manga as well, the original anime added some more impact by making it longer)
Apr 2, 2021 3:39 PM

Oct 2016
Wowww everything is so rushed, holy moly, that bit with Amidamaru brother in the museum is legit cut by like 80%
But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings.
Apr 2, 2021 4:05 PM

Oct 2019
At the start, that has got to be the ugliest looking baby I've ever seen.

Otherwise, this first ep wasn't bad. Looking forward to watching his for the next year.

Also, MAL, do something with these bots ffs, it's really annoying.
Apr 2, 2021 4:09 PM
Apr 2020
it felt a bit rushed to me but hopefully it will work out fine. they better not fuck up my childhood
Apr 2, 2021 4:35 PM

Feb 2017
Happy to experience Shaman King again as it was one of the shows that made my early childhood, though since then I've pretty much forgotten everything except some of the names and the premise.
Like the art and the music stood out which I liked, checked now and the score is composed by Yuki Hayashi which is really neat and makes sense why it's good. As others have mentioned it does feel rushed so I hope they slow down a bit and let it breathe, though it wasn't too bad. Looking forward to more.
Apr 2, 2021 5:03 PM
Nov 2019
I re-watched the original just so I could compare it to the new version.

I miss the original OP/ED (apart from the censoring on 4Kids). Adaptation seems OK if a little fast.

first Ep. could have done with a little more background to explain stuff (it's almost as if they assume you watched the old one or read some of it).

In some ways this might benefit being in Netflix Jail for most viewers. Their model is to binge-watch an entire season in one go. The speed they're adapting it based on Ep.1 (pages per episode) there is plenty of scope for it becoming a mess/car crash so weekly watching might become stressful.

I Liked the first Ep. I'll give it 4-5 Ep. and if it still feels rushed, stick it on hold to binge the lot when the final scores are in.

Apr 2, 2021 5:15 PM

Apr 2015
Completely new with Shaman King, while it initially doesn't look like something I am into, I am always on the look for something new, so I am going to give this a try.

Interesting start, character designs are really all over the place with the proportions. Manta is incredibly tiny, while You is not the tallest, their classmates seem more on the "normal" side XD

The setting is really interesting, Animation looks alright and pacing felt incredibly quick. It's here to stay for now though, curious to see what this will become.
Apr 2, 2021 5:34 PM

Aug 2008
Wow, I don't remember manga being so God damn ugly. Maybe it was just easier to gloss over it when it comes to still images but it's hard to watch animated. Yoh's voice and overall pacing are awful as well. By first episode alone, I think I'd rather rewatch first butchered adaptation or maybe even read 300 chapters again instead. This sucked.
AntanaruApr 2, 2021 5:40 PM
Ii tenki desu ne...
Apr 2, 2021 6:06 PM

Aug 2011
IamShameless said:
The view poll speaks for itself. This is what happens when you are working with a material many people have deep nostalgia for.

The poll is voted by bots just saying. Many shows this season have been rated 1/5 by bots recently. It's annoying that the admin is still not fixing the problem yet.
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shaman King (2021) Episode 33 Discussion

Stark700 - Nov 25, 2021

48 by almightybismarck »»
May 3, 3:54 AM

Poll: » Shaman King (2021) Episode 32 Discussion

Stark700 - Nov 18, 2021

23 by almightybismarck »»
May 1, 10:53 PM

Poll: » Shaman King (2021) Episode 31 Discussion

Stark700 - Nov 11, 2021

24 by almightybismarck »»
May 1, 12:36 AM

Poll: » Shaman King (2021) Episode 30 Discussion

Stark700 - Nov 4, 2021

25 by almightybismarck »»
Apr 27, 11:28 PM

Poll: » Shaman King (2021) Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 24, 2021

53 by RitzyLunar »»
Apr 23, 6:17 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.